Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

SPARKLE 1976 with Irene Cara streaming on Youtube

The film stars Irene Cara, Philip Michael Thomas, Lonette McKee, Dwan Smith, Mary Alice, Dorian Harewood, and Tony King. Curtis Mayfield served as the composer and producer of Sparkle's songs and score. With a plot inspired by the history of The Supremes, Sparkle is a period film set in Harlem, New York during the late 1950s and early 1960s. It presents the story of a musical girl group that ends up breaking apart due to individual issues each member faces. This film not only "recreates the magic of a special period in American history, but it explores the effect of Harlem's musical and social culture on the rest of the world", as well as the linkages to black power6

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 2, 2022 6:09 PM

RIP, Irene.

by Anonymousreply 1November 27, 2022 9:02 AM

This movie was a lot better than the remake. It had a gritty, grimy quality that stood out amongst other musicals, much less glossy than a Dreamgirls or similar. The set pieces are very realistic, and Cara and the entire cast do great work. The real star of the show is Curtis Mayfield, I think it's some of his best work as a composer. The fact that En Vogue were having hits 20 years later covering the same songs (and wearing the same outfits as Cara) is a testament to his timeless songcraft.

The film itself may have been better remembered if they didn't let Aretha Franklin re-record the entire soundtrack. It kind of buried the original performances a little, as good as they were. She was maybe at her vocal peak here - I think she'd stopped smoking (temporarily - lol). The opening run on 'Something He Can Feel' is spine tingling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 27, 2022 9:12 AM

YouTube does not "stream" movies as far as I know.

by Anonymousreply 3November 27, 2022 9:33 AM

OK I take that back. Sorry for being crabby. It's the first of streaming sites.

by Anonymousreply 4November 27, 2022 12:48 PM

I’m watching it via YouTube app on my 📺

by Anonymousreply 5November 27, 2022 8:06 PM

I think it’s shitty that fucking Aretha Franklin was allowed to take over the soundtrack album. I like Irene Cara and Lonette McKee’s vocals in all of the featured songs in the movie. It’s a crime they didn’t appear on the movie soundtrack album. Aretha is a hog.

by Anonymousreply 6November 27, 2022 8:32 PM

^^^ agree 100%

Both Irene and Lonette are so "unsung"/underrated

by Anonymousreply 7November 27, 2022 9:02 PM

Thank you, OP, for the film link. I loved Irene Cara, no matter what he was in. She was a true triple threat and gave off a warm, sensitive vibe.

by Anonymousreply 8November 27, 2022 9:18 PM

Lonette McKee gave an amazing heartbreaking performance! Sister really had it going on and burned it to the ground!

by Anonymousreply 9November 27, 2022 9:20 PM

That movie was shot so poorly. Shit lighting. Props, etc. No budget. Shit acting from the mother. It wasn’t watchable despite liking Cara, McKee, Thomas.

by Anonymousreply 10November 27, 2022 9:31 PM

R10 STFU.

by Anonymousreply 11November 29, 2022 6:54 AM

[quote]I think it’s shitty that fucking Aretha Franklin was allowed to take over the soundtrack album. I like Irene Cara and Lonette McKee’s vocals in all of the featured songs in the movie. It’s a crime they didn’t appear on the movie soundtrack album. Aretha is a hog.

I wonder what was the story behind that. If Aretha, who is my favorite female singer, was going to do the soundtrack, then why wasn't her vocals used in the movie? With that said, I loved L McGee's vocals better and that is saying something. Most people did, so why was Aretha used for the soundtrack?

I swear I can't remember any movie in which this happened.

by Anonymousreply 12November 29, 2022 6:57 AM

#JusticeforSparkle/Irene/Lonette

by Anonymousreply 13November 29, 2022 3:41 PM

R12 both Aretha and Curtis must have wanted her to have the first shot at those tunes. The label probably thought it would sell better..... and if the film was a hit, then put out the soundtrack vocals....... Strange, though. You would think through the years someone would have put Irene and Lonette out as bonus tracks on someting.

by Anonymousreply 14November 30, 2022 4:03 PM

It’s a shit movie that nobody in 2022 could stand to watch. I dare you to try.

by Anonymousreply 15November 30, 2022 5:04 PM

It's before my time, but I always stop to watch it on YT.

by Anonymousreply 16December 1, 2022 5:59 AM

R16 I don't understand. One "stops to watch" something on TV that happens to be programmed and airing, at a random moment one happens have time to watch it.

Things on YOUTUBE are on there permanently and available to start any second of every day.

by Anonymousreply 17December 1, 2022 10:30 AM

R2, I really feel Sparkle is one of Aretha's best albums.

by Anonymousreply 18December 1, 2022 12:34 PM

[quote]Things on YOUTUBE are on there permanently and available to start any second of every day.

I listen to the songs, and sometimes, I see scenes of the movie or the movie itself.

by Anonymousreply 19December 2, 2022 6:32 AM

I’m a sour ass

by Anonymousreply 20December 2, 2022 5:50 PM

Don't like this film, but McKee is the star. The film is noted for the beauty of the female leads.

by Anonymousreply 21December 2, 2022 6:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!