Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tips To Keep Animals Off Roof?

For years, I've had racoons and (o)possums climbing a 6 foot fence, then climbing the top of my 1-story roof, then sliding down the back corner from the roof to the back fence. I can't figure out a way to prevent it, but I'm sick of being woken up in the middle of the night. HELP!

The fence is like this design below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 27, 2022 9:31 PM

Get a guard python.

by Anonymousreply 1November 26, 2022 1:08 AM

Or you might getting a doggie door. Leave a bit of peanut butter covered garbage on the inside, and eventually the vermin will learn to use it and stay off the roof.

by Anonymousreply 2November 26, 2022 1:10 AM

Adopt two of them an call them “Bai” and “Ling”.

by Anonymousreply 3November 26, 2022 1:13 AM

An = and

by Anonymousreply 4November 26, 2022 1:13 AM

Put a Lesbian Scarecrow on the roof, guaranteed to keep away animals, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Mormons.

by Anonymousreply 5November 26, 2022 1:16 AM

Urinate on the roof…

by Anonymousreply 6November 26, 2022 1:17 AM

Sprinkle cayenne pepper on spots on the ground you know they have to travel on. (Bottom of fence?) Wear a mask and gloves. If it rains, do it again. If they get a snout full of it they don't come back. I got rid of one with it. It was suggested on an animal protection site. Much better than trapping, etc. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 7November 26, 2022 1:20 AM

There are garbage cans in another home's driveway behind me so they do this nightly hunt. I hate them. I wear earplugs and still get woken up. I thought about maybe buying a large poster board or something to put in between the slits in the fence, but I don't know if that would work.

by Anonymousreply 8November 26, 2022 1:21 AM

It’s a demon, OP

by Anonymousreply 9November 26, 2022 1:29 AM

Start charging the little bastards admission if they want to ride.

by Anonymousreply 10November 26, 2022 1:37 AM

Use earplugs. Or put a table fan next to your bed, pointing away from you, and turn it on when you go to bed each night (for the noise, not for the breeze).

by Anonymousreply 11November 26, 2022 1:41 AM

Maybe those clear plastic spikes that are used to deter pigeons. They don’t harm the animal, they just make it uncomfortable and undesirable.

by Anonymousreply 12November 26, 2022 1:59 AM

Dip drained pasta in olive oil, hang from eves, watch those long snooted critters slide off while trying to climb your roof…

by Anonymousreply 13November 26, 2022 2:17 AM

Draining pasta, R13?

by Anonymousreply 14November 26, 2022 2:17 AM

Why would they go on the roof? I've never heard of them going on roofs. It's not the only way to access the neighbor's garbage cans, is it? Maybe sliding is fun to them? The plastic Pigeon spikes make sense. But what PITA. Can you ask the neighbors to lock up the cans?

by Anonymousreply 15November 26, 2022 2:38 AM

They'll never come back!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 26, 2022 2:39 AM

D-Con in a bird feeder got rid of at least 25 squirrels in my tree over my deck. The fleas were out of control and dropping onto the deck and all over us and the dogs. Animal control was useless so I found a solution myself. People feed them birdseed and their numbers get out of control, neighbor behind me was feeding them and that ultimately killed them by default. STOP FEEDING WILD ANIMALS. Any animal can become vermin if they get out of control.

by Anonymousreply 17November 26, 2022 2:46 AM

R11 see R8

by Anonymousreply 18November 26, 2022 2:50 AM

I used something similar to keep feral cats off of my cars. It repels but doesn't harm animals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 26, 2022 2:52 AM

Why in the HELL is that fence in OP's pic not sealed? That wood will be rotten in no time.

by Anonymousreply 20November 26, 2022 2:53 AM

A Hungry pibull will take a coon out.

by Anonymousreply 21November 26, 2022 3:02 AM

Smear your roof with generous amounts peanut butter and oats. You'll thank me later.

by Anonymousreply 22November 26, 2022 3:03 AM

You should go coon huntin’, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 26, 2022 3:09 AM

Strobe flashing motion detectors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 26, 2022 3:22 AM

Electrical wiring

by Anonymousreply 25November 26, 2022 3:24 AM

Why not install staggered mini trampolines on the ascent?

by Anonymousreply 26November 26, 2022 3:27 AM

Bai Ling is on the roof!

by Anonymousreply 27November 26, 2022 3:29 AM

R27, are you also R3?

by Anonymousreply 28November 26, 2022 3:36 AM

There are anti-loitering sound repellents for shithole children, then there must be some for for feral animals, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 26, 2022 3:49 AM

OP here, I think I'll try putting the cayenne pepper and other strong powders on the corner of the roof so they get it on their paws and lick it off. I'm not sure they will realize that my roof was the cause of their tongue pain and stop coming this way. I live in the back unit and once saw a large racoon walking in the street so I think they start at the front unit and climb back to get to other garbage cans and then make the return trip.

Should I get a large stuffed animal and staple it to the corner of my roof?

by Anonymousreply 30November 27, 2022 4:56 PM

Superglue the large stuffed animal OP. The staples will (eventually) rust.

by Anonymousreply 31November 27, 2022 5:07 PM

Your house is the path of least resistance. I think you're not going to stop them without creating an alternate route, such as opening a passage through your fence. If that won't work for whatever reason, make your road as unappealing as possible to encourage them choosing another.

Your local farm supply should be able to help.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 27, 2022 7:05 PM

Your roof, that is, not road. Although, it does serve as a trash bandit road.

by Anonymousreply 33November 27, 2022 7:06 PM

Sure they will go up on a roof. They also like to explore chimneys and maybe nest there.

by Anonymousreply 34November 27, 2022 9:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!