Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lung cancer spike among non-smoking adult women

A big rise over the last decade. And it's not even predominantly elderly women, either. Lots of middle-aged Moms and the like. But with men there seems to be no great increase in patients.

Why? What specifically is it about females and their lifestyle that could be causing this? Or has the incidence not actually changed while the number and accuracy of diagnoses have?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78December 2, 2022 2:34 PM

Household chemicals. Women still do the majority of cleaning.

by Anonymousreply 1November 25, 2022 5:06 PM

Fibromyalgia silly!

by Anonymousreply 2November 25, 2022 5:06 PM

Untreated Morgellon’s

by Anonymousreply 3November 25, 2022 5:07 PM

Lifetime movies

by Anonymousreply 4November 25, 2022 5:14 PM

Vaginas are toxic, didn't you know that?

by Anonymousreply 5November 25, 2022 5:16 PM

The mercury on the vaccines

by Anonymousreply 6November 25, 2022 5:17 PM

Skin and hair treatments made with nanotechnology.

by Anonymousreply 7November 25, 2022 5:18 PM

What about perfume? I know people don't wear fragrance like they used to but has anyone ever found a connection?

by Anonymousreply 8November 25, 2022 5:19 PM

R7/R8 ah good catch, I forgot to include cosmetics & beauty/surgery treatments in the poll. Though plenty of middle-aged men get Botox and hair colour &replacement these days, and a lot of them wear commercial cologne or unisex perfume too.

So maybe it’s just makeup that’s the problem? Are drag queens getting a lot of lung cancer?

by Anonymousreply 9November 25, 2022 5:22 PM

Whole town of Grasse would be dead if true, r8

by Anonymousreply 10November 25, 2022 5:22 PM

Men and women have biological differences that underlie disease, treatment, etc.

Women's health has always taken a backseat to men's health in research and treatment in the medical world.

We are seeing vital statistics being fucked up in denying the differences and not collecting statistics accurately for medical and other purposes.

We just saw this refusal to collect statistics accurately with Covid - an immune related disease for which male and female incidence, severity, treatment would naturally be different.

Here's another example of what happens when the research for women is neglected.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 25, 2022 5:28 PM

So R11 perhaps the female human lung is uniquely susceptible or vulnerable, for some reason?

But if that’s true, then how come all those old broad actresses in the golden age smoked and perfumed their way into their 90s, rather than dying at 40?

by Anonymousreply 12November 25, 2022 5:32 PM

Radon. Google it. Also, shit happens. There doesn’t need to be a reason.

by Anonymousreply 13November 25, 2022 5:33 PM

Vaping

by Anonymousreply 14November 25, 2022 5:47 PM

They’re smokers and liars.

by Anonymousreply 15November 25, 2022 5:48 PM

Indoor air pollution?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 25, 2022 7:27 PM

The article admits that it seems like a rise, but need to do more research to be sure, call me when they start dropping like flies, like the STDs thread, until then, it's a nothing burger.

by Anonymousreply 17November 25, 2022 7:48 PM

The article admits that it seems like a rise, but need to do more research to be sure, call me when they start dropping like flies, like the STDs thread, until then, it's a nothing burger. Fear mongering again.

by Anonymousreply 18November 25, 2022 7:49 PM

[quote]Though plenty of middle-aged men get Botox and hair colour &replacement these days, and a lot of them wear commercial cologne or unisex perfume too.

Most women start dyeing their hair in their teens though ... same with make-up. Even if you compare a vain man (the kind to dye his hair and get botox after a certain age) to an average woman, the woman will have been putting toxic shit in her hair and questionable stuff on her face for DECADES when the man is only getting started.

Now, if you compared women to guys who have been living as "femmebois" with caked-on make-up, bleached hair, and fillers/botox galore since their teens/early 20s, I wouldn't be surprised if you found a similar lung cancer spike in both groups...

by Anonymousreply 19November 25, 2022 7:51 PM

Dyeing your hair is known to raise the risk of bladder cancer. I'd be surprised if it weren't a risk factor for lung cancer too. I mean, these are TOXIC chemicals that people put on their heads, and it's unavoidable to breathe in the fumes. If you get your roots done once a month or so (or do it at home), that can't be good.

by Anonymousreply 20November 25, 2022 7:59 PM

Granite countertops

by Anonymousreply 21November 25, 2022 8:03 PM

R20 true but people clean their bathrooms and dishes and carpets with toxic chemicals at the particle level daily or weekly. How isn't that worse?

by Anonymousreply 22November 25, 2022 8:05 PM

R16 ok but WHERE is the winter candy apple and the spice gingerbread three-wick???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 26, 2022 11:55 AM

R72 what hair treatments are made with nanotechnology?

by Anonymousreply 24November 26, 2022 2:26 PM

R7^^

by Anonymousreply 25November 26, 2022 2:26 PM

"Vaccines" 🤣

by Anonymousreply 26November 26, 2022 2:30 PM

R12 People in general were a lot thinner then and moved around more, even if fitness wasn't as big a thing. Food in the first four decades of the 20th century was more naturally grown and local. Birth control pills and hormone treatments appeared in the latter half of the 20th century and by then these old broads didn't need them.

by Anonymousreply 27November 26, 2022 2:47 PM

Op Hates women

by Anonymousreply 28November 26, 2022 2:50 PM

R28 a feminist goldstar....who hates women....alright then

by Anonymousreply 29November 27, 2022 1:26 AM

It it was due to cleaning products wouldn't we see an increase of lung cancer in cleaning women/maids?

by Anonymousreply 30November 27, 2022 1:43 AM

Weed?

by Anonymousreply 31November 27, 2022 1:49 AM

Vaping + lady hormones.

by Anonymousreply 32November 27, 2022 4:05 AM

It's pretty obvious. Those are "women" not real women getting lung cancer at higher rates. So, breaking news...men still get more lung cancer. Biology is real.

by Anonymousreply 33November 27, 2022 4:11 AM

R33 ohhhhh that could explain it. Hadn’t considered the erroneous medical reportage angle.

by Anonymousreply 34November 27, 2022 12:11 PM

It’s alcohol. Friend said colon cancer patients are younger and younger and I said is it because their diets are so awful and he said no, what they all had in common was they were heavy drinkers or alcohol abusers.

by Anonymousreply 35November 27, 2022 12:36 PM

Companies like Olaplex make nano particle derived hair and skin treatments that are inadvertently ingested, or can enter the body through membrane and mucous tissue, broken skin, and even pass through the placental barrier and affect a fetus. The FDA DOES NOT monitor nano particle behavior because the ingredients are the same but micronized, like collagen or pigment. Instead, the government asks the company to self regulate to encourage the technology. Europe highly restricts the use in personal care, and for a long time there were different formulations used in the USA.

L’Oreal is one of the largest firms with the most nanotechnology patents and has used them for over 30 years before addressing the use of nanotechnology recently. Even their trainers, educators and sales staff were absolutely clueless about it. It’s asbestos all over again.

I predict massive lawsuits that take the company down once they are able to isolate factory and company specific particulate from breast milk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 27, 2022 1:04 PM

I have mycobacterium avium/intracellulare. It’s related to TB and they find it a lot more in women than men. I get regular CT scans. I have nodules they keep an eye on. If one of my nodules gets to be a certain size, it’s coming out. Maybe that’s why it’s rising in women ….a lot of us are having regular CTs and our nodules are being observed.

What type of lung cancer is on the rise? Small cell or non small cell?

by Anonymousreply 37November 27, 2022 1:08 PM

R34, it could explain why they are being a bit cagey about it along the lines of...

[quote]The article admits that it seems like a rise, but need to do more research to be sure.

It must be a very small rise if they can't even tell if it is a rise without further research. It's men pretending to be women fucking up the statistics. Notice it's not breast, uterine, or ovarian cancer with some inexplicable small (possible) rise in cases. The only thing rising concerning breasts, uteruses, and ovaries is the number of healthy ones thrown in the incinerator after completely medically unnecessary surgeries.

by Anonymousreply 38November 27, 2022 1:11 PM

Humans have died of lung cancer long before the Age of Exploration starting in the 15th century.

by Anonymousreply 39November 27, 2022 1:12 PM

Probably because they never shut their damn mouth so there's all sorts of s*** getting in there maybe they should shut the f****** once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 40November 27, 2022 1:17 PM

Yup, a lot and I do mean a lot of beauty products contain known carcinogens. 500 years from now, they'll look at Loreal like we look at lead face powder from the past. How could they be so stupid?

by Anonymousreply 41November 27, 2022 1:20 PM

I do think it could be lifestyle. Yes, nanoparticles, home fragrance products in enclosed spaces,

I could see my sister getting this. She is obsessed with fragrance. Uses the scent beads and a ton of fabric softener. Every room has Yankee candles and little fragrance spreaders plugged into spare electrical outlets. Reed diffusers and aerosol sprays. Get into her car: Dryer sheets in her car trunk, a little thing clipped on the AC/heat vents, scented freshener dangling from the mirror. And she will never open a window. You’re hermetically sealed in with all that stuff.

by Anonymousreply 42November 27, 2022 1:50 PM

OP, have you asked your sister why she does this? Is she like a super-taster whose sense of smell is hyper-developed, so that she notices unpleasant odors most people don't and wants to mask them?

by Anonymousreply 43November 27, 2022 3:57 PM

Yeah, but has use by women of household clean products, hair/beauty products, perfume, really changed that much?

First theories should be, what has changed, given that the rates have changed?

---Alcohol--My first guess along with the poster above. Alarming increase in excess drinking among women is well-documented, much-discussed ---2ndhand smoke: Smoking is way, way up in certain age groups and in women. Could harm from 2nd-hand smoke have gone up with that? ---Vaping--Something in those foul byproduct fumes is carcinogenic to female lung tissue

by Anonymousreply 44November 27, 2022 4:35 PM

It's probably all of these things. I knew a woman in her early 40s who died of lung cancer--never smoked, not obsese, and not a drinker. She lived in the DuPont corridor in Delaware near Middletown. Everyone chalked her illness and death up to air pollution from the chemical plants and living adjacent to I-95.

by Anonymousreply 45November 27, 2022 4:43 PM

Well I’d assume they have smaller and more delicate lungs than men, no? If even slightly.

I bet there are a lot of diseases that hit them harder but nobody notices because women are treated as second class by the medical community and basically by a lot of institutions.

by Anonymousreply 46November 27, 2022 4:49 PM

I suspect cocaine. There was a thread here last week about two women whom you would never suspect used cocaine, but they did and died of Fentanyl tainted stuff. Does coke cause lung cancer? (I'm sure it doesn't help.)

by Anonymousreply 47November 27, 2022 5:07 PM

Could be something in the womens meds is my guess.

All those biologists will be found to be the cause of many deaths imo. They are so profitable and being pushed down everyone’s throats.

by Anonymousreply 48November 27, 2022 5:10 PM

*biologics

by Anonymousreply 49November 27, 2022 5:11 PM

the thousand dollar injections that they are pushing

by Anonymousreply 50November 27, 2022 5:11 PM

Hair dyes with PPD Paraphenylenediamine and hideous nail polish. We all know about them, but pretend they are nothing serious.

by Anonymousreply 51November 27, 2022 5:13 PM

R35 Then wouldn't the UK be empty of people? Even grannies get wasted regularly.

by Anonymousreply 52November 27, 2022 5:42 PM

I had a fellow club kid of the 90’s complain that he got a weird growth on his big toe that turned out to be malignant. He was a great guy, and the first thing I thought was, “Dude, we ingested, snorted and shot up every new party drug we could in our 20’s. Are you surprised, REALLY?”

Thank God I got sober.

by Anonymousreply 53November 28, 2022 8:12 AM

Birth control and cleaning products, but birth control for sure.

by Anonymousreply 54November 28, 2022 1:15 PM

Thank god for the medical geniuses at datalounge for solving this.

by Anonymousreply 55November 28, 2022 1:53 PM

The likeliest explanation, as the article notes, is environmental toxins. Women have smaller lungs, so they would be more vulnerable.

by Anonymousreply 56November 28, 2022 2:06 PM

R16 how about essential oils? I never met a man who was a fan but for many women it has cult character. It's dangerous for some animals, so why should it be harmless for people?

by Anonymousreply 57November 28, 2022 4:34 PM

I don't know if it impact lung directly, but more and more women give up dairies for soy "milk", it's and endocrine disruptor, it will impact women's health at some point.

by Anonymousreply 58November 28, 2022 7:31 PM

How on earth can you link lung cancer with drinking alcohol?

by Anonymousreply 59November 28, 2022 7:38 PM

R59, alcohol ends up in your blood stream. Blood goes into the very smallest capillaries throughout your lungs. Everything in your body is connected.

by Anonymousreply 60November 29, 2022 3:33 AM

Well, R59, drinking alcohol has actually been linked to breast cancer in women. Unofficially many researchers think alcohol is a co-factor in many cancers. So if we're theorizing, that is on the theory list, given that excess drinking by women in recent years is highly document and a subject of concerned discussion Re women's health.

by Anonymousreply 61November 29, 2022 3:34 AM

Alcohol gives you all kinds of cancer. That research base has only grown.

by Anonymousreply 62November 29, 2022 3:37 AM

For working class women, it seems also due to cooking

by Anonymousreply 63November 29, 2022 3:42 AM

Wouldn't all the Russian women be dead if it was alcohol?

by Anonymousreply 64November 29, 2022 3:52 AM

[quote]Wouldn't all the Russian women be dead if it was alcohol?

They are whores and die prematurely of various sex diseases before lung cancer strikes.

by Anonymousreply 65November 29, 2022 6:05 AM

No lie, I have a lung disease called MAC. Went to MAC page on a forum @ 2012 and first question was “Just diagnosed with MAC. Which essential oils can I use to control it? TIA.”

by Anonymousreply 66November 29, 2022 6:40 PM

I don't think essential oils are the problem. I think the fake essential oils are the problem. The real ones are just highly concentrated natural oils. The other ones have petroleum crap in them.

by Anonymousreply 67November 30, 2022 2:47 AM

German New Medicine puts it down to sustained psychological death panic. Not kidding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68December 1, 2022 12:07 AM

,^^^° Is that like lesbian bed death? I never get that one.

by Anonymousreply 69December 1, 2022 12:18 AM

Science doesn't know why. The only main difference that I can think of is that women's lungs are smaller than men's so are more susceptible.

by Anonymousreply 70December 1, 2022 12:33 AM

If it was from hair dye, beauticians would already be dropping like flies.

by Anonymousreply 71December 1, 2022 12:52 AM

Trannies are now reported as women. You should see how much prostate cancer rates have risen in women in the last three years!!

by Anonymousreply 72December 1, 2022 4:08 AM

retinol?

by Anonymousreply 73December 1, 2022 5:10 AM

Made-in-China shithole lipsticks. Yes, some red and orange dyes are carcinogenic.

by Anonymousreply 74December 1, 2022 5:19 AM

I think it’s possible it could be from the increased frequency of mammograms and greater exposure to radioactivity in the chest area. The current recommendation in the US is once every year at age 40 and after, but earlier if there’s a family history of breast cancer, and more frequently if something unusual is found on the test even if it’s not cancer.

If that’s the case the question would be whether more lives are saved by breast cancer detection than are lost to lung cancer.

by Anonymousreply 75December 1, 2022 7:24 PM

There is some correlation with getting radiation treatment for breast cancer and developing lung cancer. It ties into the controversy around mammograms often finding a type of cancer called DCIS - at lower risk of spreading and described by some as precancer - that now accounts for most breast cancer diagnoses.

A survey conducted among women in whom ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) was diagnosed disclosed that 40% of the women perceived that there was at least a moderate risk of developing invasive cancer within the next 5 years and a 53% risk within their lifetime. Researchers stated that the risk of developing invasive breast cancer after a diagnosis of DCIS that has been treated is actually less than 1% [10].”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76December 1, 2022 9:11 PM

“But at least women should be made aware of the overdiagnosis problem, they say. Because the chances it will happen to an American woman are higher than in Norway. That's because U.S. women often start regular mammograms in their 40s, a decade earlier than in Norway. And U.S. radiologists are more likely to report any abnormality on a mammogram.“

The problem is compounded further if your mother was diagnosed with a DCIS, and then based on being high risk, you then start yearly mammograms at 30, increasing your lifetime exposure to localized radiation in your chest area.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77December 1, 2022 9:19 PM

Yeah, the women are men. So now health stats for women are being skewed just like crime stats are. What a world! Women are raping and killing and molesting kids more than ever and only lung cancer can take them down.

by Anonymousreply 78December 2, 2022 2:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!