Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you eat lamb? šŸ‘

I always find it too gamey. It would be my last choice of protein.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103December 4, 2022 12:09 AM

Goat is best, then lamb. We donā€™t mention the m word.

by Anonymousreply 1November 25, 2022 6:18 AM

Mother?

by Anonymousreply 2November 25, 2022 6:20 AM

Lamb is delicious.

by Anonymousreply 3November 25, 2022 6:20 AM

I don't eat any meat anymore but I used to eat lamb (may be more common in the UK?). Possibly my favourite meat and I don't consider myself someone who enjoys gamey meat. A properly roasted leg of good lamb with roast potatoes and mint sauce (super old school but it's delicious) is just fucking perfection. Far superior to roast beef, imo.

by Anonymousreply 4November 25, 2022 6:20 AM

I like lamb, prepared just about any way: Vindaloo(if you like it spicy, I do); baked shoulder chops with potatoes and peppers; roasted, marinated tenderloin; loin chops when I get to eat out; lamb burgers, sautƩed with tarragon and cream; roasted leg of with rosemary, garlic and raspberry vinegar; stuffed, roasted breast of lamb.

Mint isn't the only herb that goes with lamb, there are many others you can choose from.

Don't wrinkle your nose if you've had a bad experience with lamb, give it another try, perhaps you'll change your mind. šŸ‘

by Anonymousreply 5November 25, 2022 4:30 PM

Yes. It's what we have for Christmas dinner here in Norway. It's called pinnekjĆøtt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 25, 2022 4:31 PM

J'adore. It's good even when it's bad.

by Anonymousreply 7November 25, 2022 4:36 PM

No. I don't feel right devouring a baby animal, esp. that baby animal.

by Anonymousreply 8November 25, 2022 4:37 PM

I love lamb chops when theyā€™re prepared properly. So unhealthy though, so I rarely partake.

by Anonymousreply 9November 25, 2022 4:39 PM

Isn't the default position in the US that most food shouldn't taste of anything?

Tilapia is popular because it isn't too fishy, most beef and chicken is fed an incredibly high fat diet and pumped with hormones and antibiotics.

by Anonymousreply 10November 25, 2022 4:47 PM

I only find the shank, backstrap and Frenched cutlet palatable 1 that said, those cuts are very nice if expensive. Lamb is popular and farmed extensively in Australia. Like OP, I find it gamey and unctuously sweet without a shit ton or garlic or lemon or middle eastern spices.

I prefer goat. Itā€™s gamey and bold but grassier, less sweet and cloying.

by Anonymousreply 11November 25, 2022 4:50 PM

I stopped being able to eat meat a few years ago, but when I was a full carnivore, LOVED lamb, although it had to have mint sauce.

by Anonymousreply 12November 25, 2022 4:53 PM

Iā€™m surprised there are so many goat aficionados. Goat is absolutely delicious.

by Anonymousreply 13November 25, 2022 5:11 PM

Ive never in my 50+ years eaten lamb or goat. Have no idea what they taste like. Neither have I eaten deer. Beef, bird, pork, and fish and that's it.

by Anonymousreply 14November 25, 2022 6:12 PM

No, not for quite some time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 25, 2022 6:15 PM

What exactly is mutton again?

by Anonymousreply 16November 25, 2022 9:24 PM

A three year old lamb, R16.

by Anonymousreply 17November 25, 2022 9:52 PM

And what is sheep?

by Anonymousreply 18November 25, 2022 9:54 PM

Love it, actually.

by Anonymousreply 19November 25, 2022 10:11 PM

Have the lambs stopped screaming, Clarice?

by Anonymousreply 20November 25, 2022 10:16 PM

Triggered.

by Anonymousreply 21November 26, 2022 2:37 AM

This is pretty much a question that could only be asked in the US, almost every other country eats lamb.

Main problem now is that it is expensive due to demand from the Middle East. Twenty dollars per pound for chump chops or cutlets is regarded as very reasonable. A full leg can cost well over $30.

Welsh lamb is the best.

by Anonymousreply 22November 26, 2022 2:38 AM

I used to get my legs of lamb from a halal butcher in Clapham. Walking home with a big ol' leg bone sticking out of my backpack always made me feel like a cavelady walking home with my kill. I've since gone vegan as mentioned above, and stopped going to the halal butcher even before then, when i discovered what the halal slaughter process is. I love the taste of meat but I can no longer deal, like the poster above said, with eating babies. Even grown up babies.

by Anonymousreply 23November 26, 2022 2:58 AM

I don't, but Mary had a little lamb ... along with some mashed potatoes and gravy.

by Anonymousreply 24November 26, 2022 3:20 AM

I used to order youvetsi in a local Greek restaurant, I liked it a lot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 26, 2022 3:45 AM

That evening, with her blinds pulled, Mary had three helpings of corn, two baked potatoes, extra bread, and a little lamb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 26, 2022 4:19 AM

Too strong tasting, too gamey. Same with goat šŸ

by Anonymousreply 27November 26, 2022 4:26 AM

Iā€™d be triggered too, r21, if someone tried to eat my hand.

by Anonymousreply 28November 26, 2022 4:37 AM

Why is lamb considered unhealthy?

by Anonymousreply 29November 26, 2022 5:03 AM

Itā€™s red meat. Study after study shows red meat consumption is unhealthy

by Anonymousreply 30November 26, 2022 5:07 AM

No, itā€™s white meat. Most lambs are white. You only occasionally see a darker one.

by Anonymousreply 31November 26, 2022 7:49 AM

Will eat lamb, beef, pig, chicken, duck, quail, most seafood (no eel or whale for me though), snails.

Would like to try frog legs and insects.

Will not eat whale, eel, snake, dog, cat, kangaroo, bats, rabbit, pigeon, rat.

by Anonymousreply 32November 26, 2022 7:58 AM

What about dolphin, Floridaā€™s favorite seafood?

by Anonymousreply 33November 26, 2022 8:00 AM

R33 No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 34November 26, 2022 9:59 AM

R25 That dish tempers the taste of the lamb quite a bit People who hate lamb might like the way this lamb dish tastes.

by Anonymousreply 35November 26, 2022 10:16 AM

Lamb is vile.

But my advice is to tell no one because all who know that you dislike it will put you in sights if Lamb Conversion Therapy with a relentless fervor for the rest of your natural life.

"Oh, it's delicious! I'm sure you do like...It's just that you've not had it prepared the right way!"

(Never accept a dinner invitation from someone who states anything like the above. Ever. They never fucking forget and will try to trick you until one or both of you are dead.

by Anonymousreply 36November 26, 2022 10:21 AM

R6: Is not the least effort made that food might look attractive in Norway? I can't say your illustration of pinnekjĆøtt pulls me in.

by Anonymousreply 37November 26, 2022 10:25 AM

I absolutely LOVE lamb chops.

by Anonymousreply 38November 26, 2022 10:29 AM

Occasionally, as a change. Like it as a treat although yes it's a bit gamey.

Turkey tasted gamey to me this year. I only ate the dark meat. Perhaps as I age my taste buds are changing and I will revert to only eating bland food like a child.

by Anonymousreply 39November 26, 2022 10:32 AM

I love lamb chops. For some reason, was imagining what I'd ask for as a last meal and lamb chops was on the menu.

by Anonymousreply 40November 26, 2022 12:38 PM

If you're in America you probably have tasted old lamb which is gamey. I can't imagine them importing good young non gamey lamb here where no one eats it. I suspect most lamb here is called hogget, which is just old gamey lamb. I think they need slaughtering before they become sexually mature.

by Anonymousreply 41November 26, 2022 4:30 PM

No, but I harpoon šŸŒŠšŸ®.

by Anonymousreply 42November 26, 2022 4:41 PM

I can't eat four-legged animals anymore after I found them to be mildly sociable and super cute. Now I only munch on fish meat and crocodile meat.

by Anonymousreply 43November 26, 2022 4:45 PM

R41 My folks live near a farm and when they want lamb, my dad goes there and speficially asks for a castrated male lamb under a certain six months. He picks great lamb, itā€™s always good.

by Anonymousreply 44November 27, 2022 1:09 AM

My favorite meat.

by Anonymousreply 45November 27, 2022 1:11 AM

Itā€™s not good for you

by Anonymousreply 46November 27, 2022 1:12 AM

Six months? Yikes! Is there an equivalent of a culinary pedophile?

by Anonymousreply 47November 27, 2022 1:12 AM

No veal, no lamb. Pretty soon no beef.

by Anonymousreply 48November 27, 2022 1:15 AM

Iā€™m okay with beef because cows are stupid. Same with chickens.

by Anonymousreply 49November 27, 2022 1:16 AM

Why isnā€™t it good for you, R46?

by Anonymousreply 50November 27, 2022 1:23 AM

I have a pet Lamb named Lambikins....I would never.

by Anonymousreply 51November 27, 2022 1:26 AM

I don't eat meat, just poultry and not even weekly.

I've always hated the tase of all meat: beef, lamb, pork, veal, all ugh. It's all so gross. Even if the meat is covered in spices and gravy, the taste and texture of meat is still so gross. I stopped eating meat as a teen.

by Anonymousreply 52November 27, 2022 1:34 AM

Fish?

by Anonymousreply 53November 27, 2022 1:43 AM

Bacon mmmmm sage sausage mmmmm

by Anonymousreply 54November 27, 2022 1:52 AM

Lamb brains are stunning. Deep fried served with a butter sauce.

by Anonymousreply 55November 27, 2022 2:18 AM

Small lambs should wear a (comfortable and non-restrictive) jacket containing fresh mint, celery, and vinegar, so they can marinate while still alive. I have tried to get a patent for this device.

by Anonymousreply 56November 27, 2022 2:22 AM

Ewww

by Anonymousreply 57November 27, 2022 2:22 AM

People who say it tastes too gamey are limited and beyond help.

by Anonymousreply 58November 27, 2022 2:26 AM

My favorite meal is rack of lamb, medium rare. Nothing compares.

by Anonymousreply 59November 27, 2022 2:30 AM

Grass fed lamb is best. I've never thought of it as a gamey meat Back strap is great seared and added to a leafy salad. Lamb 'bacon' is great for those that don't eat pork. Slow cooked lamb shanks in winter *chef's kiss* Roast full leg of lamb at Christmas, then cold in sandwiches mmmmmm

by Anonymousreply 60November 27, 2022 2:38 AM

[quote]Iā€™m okay with beef because cows are stupid. Same with chickens.

Chickens are stupid, I'll give you that. They have personalities, though, and are individuals. Unfortunately, cows aren't stupid at all, and they're very attached to their best friends (cow and human and sometimes other animals), very curious creatures as well. This is why I don't eat meat anymore. I WISH they were all member of a Cow Borg and we could eat some of them without doing any real harm but alas they are not.

by Anonymousreply 61November 27, 2022 2:47 AM

I hope the cultured meat takes off, then nothing has to die just to get eaten. The beef council won't like it though.

by Anonymousreply 62November 27, 2022 2:51 AM

I hope the cultured meat takes off, then nothing has to die just to get eaten.

by Anonymousreply 63November 27, 2022 2:51 AM

by Anonymousreply 64November 27, 2022 2:51 AM

by Anonymousreply 65November 27, 2022 2:51 AM

by Anonymousreply 66November 27, 2022 2:51 AM

I hope the cultured meat takes off, then nothing has to die just to get eaten. The beef council won't like it though.

by Anonymousreply 67November 27, 2022 2:52 AM

Have mercy

by Anonymousreply 68November 27, 2022 2:57 AM

I would quite happily pay triple or more the price of standard meats for the cultured/ethical version of same. Theoretically, I mean. I'm currently too poor.

by Anonymousreply 69November 27, 2022 3:44 AM

Does anyone here hope the cultured meat takes off? Where would it land though? Mooscow?

by Anonymousreply 70November 27, 2022 3:47 AM

goddamnit, r70

by Anonymousreply 71November 27, 2022 3:54 AM

R40

Unfortunately (if you are a carnivore), cows and chickens are not stupid. They recognize the people who care for them. Cows recognize their owners' cars when they see them drive up the road.

I eat meat, I develop anemia if I don't eat red meat and I like the taste. But I can't pretend that many of the animals I eat are intelligent.

by Anonymousreply 72November 27, 2022 4:52 AM

R52

Poultry is a form of meat, it's flesh.

by Anonymousreply 73November 27, 2022 4:54 AM

Poultry is not red meat. It's poultry.

by Anonymousreply 74November 27, 2022 10:15 AM

[quote]I eat meat, I develop anemia if I don't eat red meat and I like the taste. But I can't pretend that many of the animals I eat are intelligent.

I was severely anemic as a child. I was still eating meat and a balanced diet, yet became anemic. When I stopped eating meat as an older teen, I didn't become anemic again. I'm not vegan, I still eat eggs, cheese and use Half & Half in my coffee.

Find a new doctor. You can eat a balanced diet without becoming anemic. We don't need to eat meat to get our nutrients. Besides, most meat is shot up with antibiotics. Yes, I know, so is poultry.

by Anonymousreply 75November 27, 2022 10:21 AM

Lamb is a baa-ad idea.

by Anonymousreply 76November 27, 2022 10:28 AM

[quote]Poultry is not red meat. It's poultry.

He didn't say it was red meat. He said it was meat.

by Anonymousreply 77November 27, 2022 10:48 AM

Nom nom nom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78November 27, 2022 12:03 PM

R74

The person to whom I responded didn't say poultry was red meat. He said it wasn't meat. If you're going to correct someone, get your facts right.

by Anonymousreply 79November 27, 2022 5:20 PM

R75, Iā€™m not the person you responded to, but tell me more please. I rarely eat red meat (maybe ten times per year) but struggle with anemia, and I take iron too. I am very curious how one can overcome anemic tendencies without red meat.

by Anonymousreply 80November 27, 2022 5:31 PM

[quote] Unfortunately (if you are a carnivore), cows and chickens are not stupid. They recognize the people who care for them. Cows recognize their owners' cars when they see them drive up the road.

So do they feel an ultimate sense of betrayal when their best friend kills them?

by Anonymousreply 81November 27, 2022 7:11 PM

R75 is right, and I'm surprised there are still doctors out there acting like red meat is the sole way to acquire iron. It isn't. And most iron supplements are very poorly absorbed (iron absorption is increased by the presence of vitamin C, iirc, so if you do take supplement perhaps eat an orange or something at the same time).

by Anonymousreply 82November 27, 2022 7:23 PM

True

by Anonymousreply 83November 27, 2022 8:20 PM

R72 and R75

Should have been:

[quote]I eat meat, I develop anemia if I don't eat red meat and I like the taste. But I can't pretend that many of the animals I eat aren't intelligent.

by Anonymousreply 84December 1, 2022 1:33 PM

R75

It's much harder to treat anemia with a vegetarian diet. One of the best ways to get iron from eating is to eat liver that has been cooked in a cast iron pan. Other types of red meat are also important. When I was diagnosed with anemia, I also was prescribed iron supplements that are much more potent than those that can be bought OTC. But doctors don't like to keep patients on those very long. I took them for about three months.

by Anonymousreply 85December 1, 2022 1:38 PM

Love it when itā€™s cooked right. But I prefer to eat it with a gravy or sauce; mint jelly makes me urp.

I made it last year for Thanksgiving. Went over well. You have to season it right to remove the gaminess from the meat.

by Anonymousreply 86December 1, 2022 1:51 PM

I've smelled roadkill on a hot road that was more appetizing than the smell of a dead sheep in an oven.

The first time I walked into a house where it was being cooked I was in shock when my friend told me that it was dinner. It was the smell of death.

by Anonymousreply 87December 1, 2022 1:55 PM

Lamb is touch or go with me.

Good preparation is key

by Anonymousreply 88December 1, 2022 1:55 PM

I grew up on a farm and we raised sheep. Lamb can be great when it's prepared right, I especially like it's seasoned and cooked outside on the grill. And ground lamb burgers taste just like beef hamburgers.

When lamb is prepared wrong or is from the wrong animal (usually too old for slaughter), I would not describe it as "gamey," but I would describe it as "woolly" tasting. When sheep are alive you can smell the lanolin in their wool. That's the same smell I detect in bad lamb; the animal should have been put to slaughter much sooner.

Fully mature sheep give you mutton. Mutton is bad, and should only be put into dog food.

by Anonymousreply 89December 1, 2022 2:03 PM

^^^^Your friend served cheap old lamb.

by Anonymousreply 90December 1, 2022 2:04 PM

[quote] When lamb is prepared wrong or is from the wrong animal

How is lamb from the wrong animal? Do they try to pass off raccoon as lamb?

by Anonymousreply 91December 1, 2022 4:51 PM

A push infusion for anemia works a treat and then you're done. I had it done and they monitor you, fuck the pills that turn your turds green.

by Anonymousreply 92December 1, 2022 5:02 PM

Wrong post disregard thank you

by Anonymousreply 93December 1, 2022 5:03 PM

I donā€™t have a lot of food rules, but not eating lamb (or veal, or any baby animal, regardless of slaughter procedures) is one of them.

Really, I get why many/most male livestock (and, not that we eat them, but newly hatched male chicks) are slaughtered early and often, and can appreciate the reasoning. But, I wonā€™t partake. Call me illogical. Whatever. You guys can have my share.

by Anonymousreply 94December 1, 2022 5:16 PM

My mother's side of the family was Greek, and one of her uncle raised sheep (in California). We had lamb all the time growing up and I love it. But I guess I'm just used to that particular type of "gaminess," as I find the dark meat of poultry too gamey for me. I can't stand duck, or chicken thighs unless they're well-disguised.

by Anonymousreply 95December 1, 2022 5:23 PM

r94

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96December 1, 2022 5:29 PM

the cheeks are the best

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97December 1, 2022 5:30 PM

Many years ago, when I was still a galley slave in a supermarket, there was an old-school meat cutter who was knowledgeable beyond belief. He said one of the tricks to a great leg of lamb is to remove what he called "the kernel" before roasting. This "kernel" is a sac or a gland that contains some very powerful, and consequently off-putting, flavors. If it's left in place the heat of the oven bursts the sac, bathing the meat in this nasty fluid that some people can taste in the finished product, and which definitely limits their enjoyment. It wasn't difficult to remove, I watched him do it every time I bought a leg of lamb(naturally, he did this for any customer he saw about to purchase a leg)

It might be worth a shot to ask about this when you purchase a leg of lamb.

Naturally, it always pays to get lamb as young as possible, since the older it gets, and as its diet changes, its flavor becomes more pronounced. Analagous to milk-fed veal as opposed to grass or grain fed.

There's a saying in England about women of a certain age who attempt to dress, adorn and comport themselves to appear much younger and more desirable. The phrase? Mutton dressed as lamb. šŸ˜‰

by Anonymousreply 98December 1, 2022 6:25 PM

[quote] "I always find it too gamey"

Same, OP. And I count venison as my favorite red meat. Though the older I get, the less meat I eat in general.

by Anonymousreply 99December 1, 2022 6:54 PM

Mmmm, venison. Our commanding officer goes deer hunting in the fall. I wanted to ask him if he could spare some venisonā€¦but hunters are funny about sharing their kill.

by Anonymousreply 100December 2, 2022 12:35 PM

R37 You have to realize that Norway used to be a poor country, hence the massive immigration to the States. We ate what we could get a hold of. It wasn't always the most fancy stuff... that's why we still eat traditional stuff like pinnekjĆøtt, lutefisk etc. It might not look very good, but trust me it's very good. It tastes better than it looks. Also, that was a terrible pic. This one is better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101December 2, 2022 4:12 PM

There is a halal meat market in my neighborhood. Sometimes they sell lamb minute steaks - they look like Steak-Ummms, but are made of lamb. They make the best sandwiches. As soon as I started buying them, so did everyone else it seemed. Now they are difficult to find.

by Anonymousreply 102December 3, 2022 1:19 AM

Lamb is a more popular option for red meat than beef in many countries because they lack to room and/or resources to raise cattle for meat. Sheep are much easier and require less area.

by Anonymousreply 103December 4, 2022 12:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!