Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The use of "faggot" by people who aren't gay men to describe themselves and each other

Has anyone else seen this happening? I don't think it's a huge thing at the moment, which is probably why I'm noticing it especially, but lately I just keep seeing online people who aren't gay men referring to themselves as "faggots" or talking about their "faggoty behaviour" or something like that. Often, they're straight or gay women.

We've had conversations before about the use of the word "queer" and some of us don't mind it and some of us really do mind it, but this seems somehow more obviously offensive. Or maybe you disagree, I'd be curious to know.

For me I'm just so confused by why they would do that, why they think they can do that, etc. I'm not a huge: "OMG, this is so offensive!" type person, but I do think this is pretty offensive.

I don't think, as I said above, that this is a huge thing happening, or whatever, but was just curious to discuss it, because I don't really have many other gay men around me at the moment I can point this out to and say: "can you believe this shit?"

As an example, here's part of a script from a podcast I came across recently:

Drew: When I think of Christina, I think cis woman.

Christina: Yeah.

Drew: I don’t think big faggot.

Christina: Yeah. No. Thank you. That is, actually, also a large part of my identity is being a gigantic faggot.

and later on:

Christina: Though I am a musical faggot, boy, do I hate Annie?

and:

Gaby: Then I started dating a bi cis guy and that was very freeing. Now, in retrospect, I think being with him, let me feel like a gay guy. Because I had short hair, he was bi, everything we did was very faggoty.

Just... WHAT?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311April 9, 2023 12:41 AM

I find it creepy and unseemly.

by Anonymousreply 1November 24, 2022 6:27 PM

R1 = Matt Damon’s treatise-writing daughter.

by Anonymousreply 2November 24, 2022 6:34 PM

I can’t stand these mentally ill narcissistic women.

by Anonymousreply 3November 24, 2022 6:35 PM

[quote]Has anyone else seen this happening?

No, OP, we haven't.

by Anonymousreply 4November 24, 2022 6:36 PM

I hope the poster on another thread won't mind, but will just copy and paste a point on this here as well:

[quote]I firmly believe that f*gg-t is only used by bisexuals/queers and they don’t mean it as a term of endearment.

[quote]It’s a sardonic way of marking people as less than. Even when they label themselves.

by Anonymousreply 5November 24, 2022 6:38 PM

[quote]these mentally ill narcissistic women.

It's interesting, 'cause when I was listening to the podcast above, I was thinking: I've never heard people so obsessed with themselves in my life, haha!

by Anonymousreply 6November 24, 2022 6:39 PM

These woman are pathetic and seem to be a product of Tumblr. I don’t know how anyone doesn’t laugh in their faces when say stupid stuff like this.

by Anonymousreply 7November 24, 2022 6:40 PM

If you're okay with queer then you've assisted in welcoming in this new trend with the other F word.

by Anonymousreply 8November 24, 2022 6:42 PM

She wants to call herself a faggot because she dated a bi guy?? If I hang out with women can I call myself a gigantic dumb bitch?

by Anonymousreply 9November 24, 2022 6:43 PM

[quote]These woman are pathetic and seem to be a product of Tumblr. I don’t know how anyone doesn’t laugh in their faces when say stupid stuff like this.

Ahh, you may have a point about Tumblr - they do seem quite "Tumblresque", huh?

Hehe, I think my face would contort something crazy if someone said anything like this to me!

by Anonymousreply 10November 24, 2022 6:43 PM

Here's what gets me:

I'm a gay man. To some people in this world I will always be a "faggot". It's not something I can not be in the face of their hatred. They will always see me and any other gay men like that.

These women can play "dress ups" with the word faggot; applying it to themselves, laughing about it, but if it ever got too dangerous, they could easily dismiss it, and no one would ever think they were one.

This is where I see the big problem with it.

by Anonymousreply 11November 24, 2022 6:45 PM

[quote]She wants to call herself a faggot because she dated a bi guy?? If I hang out with women can I call myself a gigantic dumb bitch?

And what does "everything we did was very faggoty" mean?

by Anonymousreply 12November 24, 2022 6:47 PM

Oh, and one more thought:

The people on that website would, I am sure, be the first to be horrified if a white person started throwing around a certain racial slur just because they dated a black person, or felt an affinity to the culture, or whatever. As anyone should, but I really don't see the difference here. They're actually exactly the kind of awful people they say they hate.

by Anonymousreply 13November 24, 2022 6:53 PM

At least one of the 'women' in that podcast is trans, so you know they're saying it because they hate gay men.

by Anonymousreply 14November 24, 2022 6:58 PM

r13 Hell, not even a racial slur. Use the wrong pronoun (or even the right pronoun but not the right number of times) and you're being a literal fascist, but apparently using a homophobic slur is just hilarious

by Anonymousreply 15November 24, 2022 6:59 PM

R11 = Harold

by Anonymousreply 16November 24, 2022 7:00 PM

[quote] I'm a gay man. To some people in this world I will always be a "faggot". It's not something I can not be in the face of their hatred. They will always see me and any other gay men like that. These women can play "dress ups" with the word faggot; applying it to themselves, laughing about it, but if it ever got too dangerous, they could easily dismiss it, and no one would ever think they were one.

Some women feel like that about 'bitch', 'whore/ho', 'slut', 'babygirl' etc. Like it's cosplay when men (gay/bi/MTF) use it as cutesy drag slang.

Maybe we should all start staying more in our lane, including and especially the Thems of OP's example.

by Anonymousreply 17November 24, 2022 7:33 PM

R9, sure, why not? These same gals have been calling themselves queer for doing just that sort of thing.

by Anonymousreply 18November 24, 2022 7:37 PM

There was a period in the late 60s and early 70s when straight people would use that word to seem hip to their gay friends, as people often like to do with the latest slang. People get a kind of frisson by saying it because they know it's a naughty word, so they're trying to "get away with it" around their gay friends to show how hip they are. Pauline Kael used this term all the time in her movie reviews from that period to seem cool (she was great friends her entire life with gay men--and even married one briefly and had a child by him), and then was horrified when in later years--when saying it became uncool--people used her previous use of the term against her

I've learned whenever anyone uses it around me to tell them right away I find it an offensive and hurtful term. If they still won't stop using it, I drop them and make sure they know why (I've only had to do this once in my life, but I'm still glad I did it).

by Anonymousreply 19November 24, 2022 7:47 PM

^^^R19

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 24, 2022 8:17 PM

I don’t like slurs.

by Anonymousreply 21November 24, 2022 8:22 PM

R21.

by Anonymousreply 22November 24, 2022 8:38 PM

What R8 said.

by Anonymousreply 23November 24, 2022 8:48 PM

[quote]She wants to call herself a faggot because she dated a bi guy??

Not only that, but she had [italic]short hair[/italic]! I mean, what else do you need to feel like a gay guy?

by Anonymousreply 24November 25, 2022 6:52 AM

Looking into it, another of the writers on that website, also not a gay man, has a blog called "Radical Faggot".

Who [italic]are[/italic] these people? Why are they so desperate to take on these slurs?

by Anonymousreply 25November 25, 2022 7:00 AM

Non-gay women have hijacked the gay movement.

It’s the reason why the LGBT has become no neurotic and why it’s become so corporate and sponsored. Because women are the main consumers of retail.

by Anonymousreply 26November 25, 2022 8:25 AM

[quote]I don’t like slurs.

I like shlursh!

by Anonymousreply 27November 25, 2022 8:31 AM

I like Slurpees. They’re blue.

by Anonymousreply 28November 25, 2022 10:25 AM

[quote]If you're okay with queer then you've assisted in welcoming in this new trend with the other F word.

Oh, they don’t care. They’re proud. In 10 years, when these “ex”-hard-left people, who supported all of this shit, all of this ideology and extremism, claim they never supported any of this craziness, will they be allowed to get away with that? Won’t these individuals be held accountable for all of this?

by Anonymousreply 29November 25, 2022 11:50 AM

[quote]If you're okay with queer then you've assisted in welcoming in this new trend with the other F word.

Queerslings

by Anonymousreply 30November 25, 2022 2:29 PM

Liberals are the ones who pushed that slurs are dehumanizing & unacceptable.

Progressives push that slurs are empowering.

by Anonymousreply 31November 25, 2022 2:33 PM

[quote]I can’t stand these mentally ill narcissistic women.

I can't stand misogynistic gay men.

by Anonymousreply 32November 25, 2022 4:22 PM

[quote]Who are these people? Why are they so desperate to take on these slurs?

Clicks.

by Anonymousreply 33November 25, 2022 4:24 PM

More clicks = more money. Don’t click or read their crap.

by Anonymousreply 34November 25, 2022 4:25 PM

I follow a ftm acquaintance on Instagram who used to be a hot babe and now looks like a zitty teenager with puberty mustache snd receding hairline. She/he refers to themself all the time as a faggot. As a point of pride.

by Anonymousreply 35November 25, 2022 4:53 PM

R35 it's weird when hot girls go down the road. In our societal setup, women are so judged and limited and controlled by their looks, so it kind of makes twisted sad logical sense when plain or ugly girls decide to trans, as they have no social cachet and can't get what they need from a cruel world (set up and run by horndog straight men). Conventionally attractive women going for it though is a headscratcher.

by Anonymousreply 36November 25, 2022 4:56 PM

[quote]I follow a ftm acquaintance on Instagram who used to be a hot babe and now looks like a zitty teenager with puberty mustache snd receding hairline. She/he refers to themself all the time as a faggot. As a point of pride.

It's just so weird to me. It's a very violent word, when you think of how it's been used and used in association with physical violence for a lot of gay men. So now women want to 'reclaim' it? I just don't get it.

[quote]it's weird when hot girls go down the road. In our societal setup, women are so judged and limited and controlled by their looks, so it kind of makes twisted sad logical sense when plain or ugly girls decide to trans, as they have no social cachet and can't get what they need from a cruel world (set up and run by horndog straight men). Conventionally attractive women going for it though is a headscratcher.

This is what that Gaby girl in the OP did - she said in the interview that she was a hot girl who could get anyone she wanted. Do you think maybe she is trying to 'desexualise' herself?

by Anonymousreply 37November 25, 2022 5:02 PM

[quote]So now women want to 'reclaim' it? I just don't get it.

Because they belong in a padded cell. These individuals need to be removed from society. That is the answer.

by Anonymousreply 38November 25, 2022 5:04 PM

It's weird when girls say it - it's not like they grow up with that word being used in any context really, guys might call each other a faggot as some light teasing but for a woman to start using that word is really really psycho. It's planned up and thought up. I can see some straight guy who isn't really homophobic saying that like if he lost his cool in traffic or something because you'd grow up just hearing it all the time to mean annoying, stupid, whatever. Girls don't call eachother faggots lol. White women are so fucking weird they have to be stopped

by Anonymousreply 39November 25, 2022 5:17 PM

Only white women using f-ggot? Hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 40November 25, 2022 5:26 PM

I'll just note that the Christina woman in the OP is a black woman.

[quote]Girls don't call eachother faggots lol.

I wonder if this is why they are so free with it - they don't feel how loaded the term is.

[quote]There was a period in the late 60s and early 70s when straight people would use that word to seem hip to their gay friends, as people often like to do with the latest slang.

Makes me think of Company: "I could understand a person, if a person was a fag."

If a woman used that term around me, I don't think I could think of her as a friend. It would show a kind of dismissiveness towards me, a feeling she was looking down on me.

by Anonymousreply 41November 25, 2022 5:32 PM

Totally agree with r11. This is a hateful term for Gays. It almost ruined my military career and caused me to experience a heightened concern with what my fellow personnel thought about me. It drove me further into a self-protective shell.

I'm retired military, having served when you would be discharged for being Gay. I once went TDY for a few months, and I taped a copy of my orders on my barracks door to show that I wouldn't be back for many months. Some asshole wrote "FAGGOT" in large red letters (like a 'scarlet letter') on the copy of orders on my door.

When I returned, I faced interrogation as to why someone would write that about me. I made it through that because I excelled at what I did, but it created massive problems for me. I became hyper-paranoid for a long time because of that. I lived in fear that the years I had spent earning my pension could be thrown away in an instant. I had no social life because of that. Happiness was nonexistent in my 100-hour work weeks, which was how I hid from the inquisitors.

This fucking homophobic slur has caused real consequences for Gays, me included. It will never be funny to me, and using it can't be excused as 'reclaiming' it. Get out of here with that bullshit!

by Anonymousreply 42November 25, 2022 5:37 PM

That’s so gay.

by Anonymousreply 43November 25, 2022 5:37 PM

I would never and have never used loaded language like that to refer to people. You never know what someone has been through or had to hear growing up.

Likewise, when men throw the term bitch around like it’s cute and funny, I get uncomfortable and dislike it. Among other men, own father has called me one for no reason, before now. To my ear it’s dehumanising, essentially reducing women via languagel to the status of mute servile lower-intelligence domestic animals. But I can’t say anything for fear of at best getting heckled and lambasted and told to shut up for being a White Woman, and at worst getting attacked by (often larger, stronger, more aggressive) men I can’t fight off.

by Anonymousreply 44November 25, 2022 5:40 PM

Nigger had to be modified into Nigga to get over the bar of reappropriation.

How about Faggish?

by Anonymousreply 45November 25, 2022 5:50 PM

R41 what I mean is that at least a guy is socialized into that word being normal (depending on his age). He might be dumb or innocent enough to legitimately think "oh but i don't mean gay people when I say that" but no way is that the case with a girl especially not some suburban white princess. It can only be severe narcissism. "I'm such a great and special ally that I'm going to take my moment here to do something really bold. I'm so great". Just calling someone a faggot because you're mad and ignorant is far less offensive than this.

by Anonymousreply 46November 25, 2022 5:53 PM

R42, thank you so much for sharing that story. That is so important to keep in mind; the real world consequences of this. I wonder what those Autostraddle people would think if you sat them down and told them that story. Hopefully they would start to understand.

by Anonymousreply 47November 25, 2022 5:55 PM

Yeah but only certain people are allowed to say nigga.

I’m somehow wrong because I don’t want to be called queer or faggot.

I heard a white woman complain at a mostly Hispanic car wash that she didn’t want to be a Karen but the gentleman who queued long after she was taken care of before her. There’s a lot of hostility against women out there…of any color/ethnicity/orientation.

by Anonymousreply 48November 25, 2022 5:57 PM

[quote]I heard a white woman complain at a mostly Hispanic car wash that she didn’t want to be a Karen but the gentleman who queued long after she was taken care of before her.

As a brief side note, I find that interesting, only because in my life as a male, I find that women get served everywhere first. Just found that story interesting.

by Anonymousreply 49November 25, 2022 5:59 PM

[quote]I’m somehow wrong because I don’t want to be called queer or faggot.

Because you need to know your place. You’re sub-human to these people. These aren’t pro-gay people at all, not at all. These are future Republicans in 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 50November 25, 2022 5:59 PM

I don't see the problem, OP. Now STFU before I spit on you and/or B. Churraz with these hands that don't discriminate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 25, 2022 6:01 PM

[quote]These are future Republicans in 20 years.

Tracey Ullman made this point in that sketch of hers that was doing the rounds awhile back.

by Anonymousreply 52November 25, 2022 6:05 PM

Of course, ^. You see that movie Kids from the 90s? Many of those actors today are Bernie Sanders supporters. Sanders is an extremist, he is no different than Donald Trump. Just ideological and crazy. I went to high school with kids like that in the 90s, they are Sanders supporters or Trump supporters.

by Anonymousreply 53November 25, 2022 6:12 PM

So disrespectful

by Anonymousreply 54November 25, 2022 6:22 PM

[quote]I went to high school with kids like that in the 90s

I've not seen the movie but know a bit about it, and it sorta terrifies me a bit that you actually went to school with kids like that. Was it a fairly bad area?

I am also a 90s kid. By the end of grade 10 (16 years old) boys and girls could still barely look at each other in the eye and ask to go on a date, let alone all that kind of thing. We had a school dance back then and I was the only one who the girls wanted to dance with even (haha). People started having relationships around 17-18 years old, and they were much more trying to ape the adult relationships they thought they would be ("True love forever!"). Until our 20s it wasn't that easy to sleep around, so even if a guy fought with his girlfriend a lot and they weren't really suited, they stayed together, because you just couldn't be a player in high school. It all seemed so innocent now.

by Anonymousreply 55November 25, 2022 6:23 PM

R55 must have been nice on the prairie

by Anonymousreply 56November 25, 2022 6:26 PM

Oh yes, R55, thrashers, skaters, drugs, no pregnancies I can remember, just dropping out of school, goths, white kids who acted black (whiggers) - the absolute most homophobic group by the way.

by Anonymousreply 57November 25, 2022 6:29 PM

I was so relieved that I graduated high school before Eminem hit the scene because my nightmare would have been worse. I did wonder about gay kids in high school with his popularity, and how they did it.

by Anonymousreply 58November 25, 2022 6:31 PM

R58 it's not Eminems fault. Barbarism begins at home. nothing has ever changed or been so influenced by a celeb. I had a friend in middle school whose dad made him wear a costume dress whenever he cried. The "sissy dress". He claimed to be thankful for it because that's "why I'm not a pussy". When I was in first grade, a group of kids beat up another kid after he pointed out that my fly was unzipped. They claimed he was a fag for looking at my dick. This was before Eminem came out. I think maybe a generation of fathers raised on "fear the gay predator" PSAs in schools who came up thinking that punishing homosexuality with death to be completely reasonable had more to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 59November 25, 2022 6:36 PM

[quote]must have been nice on the prairie

Hehe. No, but seriously, mid-sized Australian city here. And talking to people my age about their own school experiences, they were all pretty similar to this. I've said on here before, but the comedy Summer Height High shows pretty much exactly what the Australian high school experience was like in the 90s and 00s.

Americans have always seemed more "grown up" to us. All those teen movies of the 80s and 90s just never seemed that relatable. I don't even know if they were realistic to Americans themselves, but it really did seem like a big culture difference.

by Anonymousreply 60November 25, 2022 6:43 PM

[quote]it's not Eminems fault. Barbarism begins at home.

I know what you mean, but I also don't think Eminem helped in any way. To a lot of kids that would've encouraged them further, I think.

Then again, I don't really remember homophobia ramping up due to Eminem, I have to say. Maybe just because homophobia was always a constant. So yeah, you're probably right.

by Anonymousreply 61November 25, 2022 6:45 PM

Definitely, R61. The whiggers in my high school in the 90s were so anti-gay, the hate they had for gays, holy cow. Those assholes become asshole adults.

by Anonymousreply 62November 25, 2022 6:51 PM

They're just joking OP

by Anonymousreply 63November 25, 2022 7:03 PM

This must be an American thing, because as a Brit I never hear this said by anyone, like alone specifically by Enby student weirdos.

by Anonymousreply 64November 25, 2022 7:06 PM

That's because "fag" is used for something else in British vernacular.

by Anonymousreply 65November 25, 2022 7:09 PM

I hate the word. I might once a year call an old friend a big fag when they do something over the top stereotypically gay and I don't mind if they say it to me when it's just us but I don't like any straight person using it ever.

by Anonymousreply 66November 25, 2022 7:15 PM

I use the phrase Big Old Gurrl.

by Anonymousreply 67November 25, 2022 7:21 PM

OP based on your other posts and comments, you need help - much bigger than this made-up fake issue you've tried to raise.

by Anonymousreply 68November 25, 2022 7:24 PM

It's such a hard word, isn't it? I was watching The Boys in the Band recently, and even though I don't care about it being used in that context and I think it was even necessary in that play, it still kinda took me aback a bit.

by Anonymousreply 69November 25, 2022 7:27 PM

That's a no from me.

by Anonymousreply 70November 25, 2022 7:29 PM

R58 I always rolled my eyes at Eminems " The Man Can't Handle My Rawness" narrative. Always bitching about how critics hated him. Because everywhere I looked he was being promoted by major music magazines and revered by critics. Eminem was pushed heavily by the proverbial taste makers.

by Anonymousreply 71November 25, 2022 7:36 PM

I know what you mean, R71.

by Anonymousreply 72November 25, 2022 7:57 PM

[quote]This must be an American thing, because as a Brit I never hear this said by anyone, like alone specifically by Enby student weirdos.

I suspect it's a thing among the permanently online, navel-gazing crowd. When I listened to the podcast above, as I said earlier, I couldn't believe how self-obsessed they were. Looking at other stuff they've said is similarly weird. The person, Drew, did a whole article raving about poppers in a weird way, and talking about the revelation that Drew had that "dykes and faggots are the same!" something Drew ran around a club high on poppers one night screaming at everyone. Weird and kinda hilarious too.

by Anonymousreply 73November 25, 2022 7:59 PM

[quote]OP based on your other posts and comments, you need help - much bigger than this made-up fake issue you've tried to raise.

Not a clue why someone would say this. Is it to try and discredit a thread or something? For the record, some of the other recent threads I've started have been:

- What are your favourite Pet Shop Boys lyrics?

- Continuing my gay education 2: The Boys in the Band (2020)

- If you were given the job of scriptwriter for American Horror Story: New York City...

None of that seems very controversial. Otherwise I've been commenting on: Russia's criminalising promotion of LGBTQ relations and my disgust with that, the first time I let a guy cum in my mouth, I know who LIO is, how sexy I find Mike Tindall, my happiness that VOTN is recovering from surgery... I'm really not sure what the point of being so rude is?

by Anonymousreply 74November 25, 2022 8:11 PM

R68 is probably a butthurt FTM.

by Anonymousreply 75November 25, 2022 8:19 PM

The goal is for people to blindly FF you to get you red tagged, R74. I was accused of finding “animal cruelty” funny the other day. Just ignore it, don’t even respond to it.

by Anonymousreply 76November 25, 2022 8:29 PM

Cheers, R76. I shouldn't still care what people think of me, but it's hard to shake off sometimes, haha.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand... someone above mentioned they thought the people on such websites hate gay men. I meant to say, as I listened to the podcast, they really do seem to not like us for reasons I can't work out, yet at the same time, really want us to fuck them. Gaby above was talking very certainly about how she knows she will soon have all the gay boys all over her, because they're already showing a bit of interest. I feel she might be sorely disappointed in the future!

by Anonymousreply 77November 25, 2022 8:34 PM

OT but still think it needs to be reiterated: learning to cheerfully dislike other people is a critical component of getting along with people who don't like you, as adults. As soon as I got a solid grasp on the fact that there is a wide swath of humanity that gets on my nerves and that it's my problem, not theirs, it got easier to be around people I find annoying. Once that's settled, it's easy to flip the reasoning around and conclude that if someone doesn't like me, that's a quirk of their own strange and arbitrary tastes, not a judgment upon either of us as a person. You can't like everyone. Not everyone will like you. It's fine. It's not a personal attack in either direction. We can exchange cordial curt begrudging nods across the room and then go on with our seperate lives.

by Anonymousreply 78November 25, 2022 9:51 PM

Cheers, R78, that's a really good point.

by Anonymousreply 79November 26, 2022 1:03 AM

[quote]That’s so gay.

Heh, and that's so 2009! Actually not as far back as it feels now. I remember my friends at the time saying it with absolutely no thought about what it would've come across like to a gay guy. I do remember the one time a straight mate of mine did realise... as soon as it left his mouth, his face just dropped. I've never seen someone apologise so profusely before.

by Anonymousreply 80November 26, 2022 7:54 PM

What [italic]is[/italic] an "Autostraddle" anyway?

by Anonymousreply 81November 27, 2022 6:27 PM

[quote] What is an "Autostraddle" anyway?

This.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82November 27, 2022 6:52 PM

r13 please leave us out of this discussion

by Anonymousreply 83November 27, 2022 6:57 PM

R82, hee! That's really cute!

I fell down a bit of a rabbit hole with that website, started reading up more on those authors/podcast hosts. There seem to be a lot of... issues... with them, I would say. That one host, Drew, writes a LOT about themselves and says a whole lot more than I think is intended. Also, I shouldn't say this, but there is a video out there of him as a male at university and he was kinda adorable, and that makes me a bit sad. It shouldn't, because she is now living her life as I guess she wants, but seeing that mixed in with some of the things she says makes me wonder what he could've been with some support.

That Gaby also was a very attractive girl (though with a highly annoying as fuck voice). There seems to almost be an element of self-harm amongst these people.

Ahh, I feel like a cunt saying that. Seriously, they should go ahead and live a happy life however they want. But, to quote Mr Will Smith, keep the word "faggot" outta your mouths!

by Anonymousreply 84November 28, 2022 6:57 PM

With how mainstream “queer” is now, did this surprise anyone?

by Anonymousreply 85November 28, 2022 7:23 PM

[quote]With how mainstream “queer” is now, did this surprise anyone?

I guess I always thought that no one would want to use "faggot" like this. Naïve of me, perhaps, but it really does seem odd.

by Anonymousreply 86November 29, 2022 5:14 AM

I just read that thread about the basic income in San Francisco, and it says on those forms you can identify as either "faggot" or "dyke", among a whole heap of other things, and all I could think was: "is this form designed by the folks at Autostraddle?" haha.

by Anonymousreply 87November 29, 2022 5:38 PM

I don't understand why anyone would refer to themselves as a bundle of sticks, but it seems harmless enough.

by Anonymousreply 88November 29, 2022 5:45 PM

Use of the "F" word would get you instantly terminated in a large company even 25 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 89November 29, 2022 5:47 PM

As an extremely non-confrontational person, if anyone started where I work with something like this, it would be the one thing I would have no problem in calling out.

by Anonymousreply 90November 29, 2022 5:51 PM

I know someone who writes for Autostraddle and I've never heard her use the word, but I also never read the website, either. I checked on Twitter and couldn't find any Autostraddle writers that I remembered the names of using the word. But on the website itself, they throw it around very casually. Their "Bros" review calls Eichner a "loud faggot," for example, for no reason that I can tell.

"Fag" was thrown around casually a long time ago, a really long time ago, you'd have to be a Boomer or old GenXer to remember it. I remember TV shows like "WKRP" and "Benson" using the word in jokes and having to dub them out after complaints, that was over 40 years ago.

I know why "queer" was reclaimed ("we're here, we're queer, get used to it") and I know why "dyke" was reclaimed, but I can't find a thing on "faggot" being reclaimed. A few op-eds over the years but nothing that got any attention or took off.

Honestly, looking at old Autostraddle articles, I think they're just still stuck in that 2010-era fake edginess that every blogger and online magazine cultivated, and they haven't grown out of it. They sound like morons, honestly, like those two ladies who used to be all over Jezebel saying stupid things about how rape wasn't that bad, because they thought that made them cool. I'm thinking about asking the person I know who works at Autostraddle about it, but don't know how without causing an incident.

by Anonymousreply 91November 29, 2022 6:00 PM

[quote]Their "Bros" review calls Eichner a "loud faggot," for example, for no reason that I can tell.

I'd love to know how they rationalise saying things like that over there, when they're not gay men. But I think you have it spot on when you say:

[quote]I think they're just still stuck in that 2010-era fake edginess that every blogger and online magazine cultivated, and they haven't grown out of it.

And not only that, but I think many of those writers really have made television and film like a reality to them, and I think they almost have trouble telling the difference. I got that feeling particularly from reading Drew's articles. Seems to want to be living IN a tv show.

[quote]They sound like morons, honestly, like those two ladies who used to be all over Jezebel saying stupid things about how rape wasn't that bad, because they thought that made them cool.

Huh? HUH?! Gosh, humans never fail to confuse me.

[quote]I'm thinking about asking the person I know who works at Autostraddle about it, but don't know how without causing an incident.

If you do manage to, I would love to know the result!

by Anonymousreply 92November 29, 2022 6:07 PM

Funny, the Mexican lad I fuck now and again wants me to call him a faggot when I'm inside him, so I do, and a few other choice words too, you wouldn't believe how enthusiastic he gets.

by Anonymousreply 93November 29, 2022 6:08 PM

^One of my exes once groaned in the middle of sex: "Call me a fucking faggot while you fuck me hard!"

I couldn't do it, it doesn't really come natural to me. I think if you guys knew me, you'd laugh at the idea of me saying that, haha.

by Anonymousreply 94November 29, 2022 6:10 PM

Actually, now I'm wondering if some of these Autostraddle people are role playing in their sex lives and then rather than leaving that kind of talk in the bedroom, are confusing it with how to talk in reality? It wouldn't surprise me.

I'm still so stumped as to how that girl felt like a gay guy just because she dated a bi guy and had short hair. That is hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 95November 29, 2022 6:13 PM

To me, it also just keeps coming back to the questions: What do they mean by the word when they attach it to themselves, and what sort of behaviour do they consider to be "faggoty behaviour". I'd in all seriousness be interested to know!

by Anonymousreply 96November 29, 2022 6:45 PM

[quote] Use of the "F" word would get you instantly terminated in a large company even 25 years ago.

It's a nice thought, but in reality, that was not the norm yet. I wrote an article for a magazine on the subject 20 years ago, when people still read magazines.

by Anonymousreply 97November 29, 2022 8:00 PM

Hell to the no! Merry Christmas!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98November 29, 2022 8:10 PM

R97 - Um, no. And I said "large company", not "Freddie's Carpets of Muncie"

by Anonymousreply 99November 29, 2022 10:52 PM

I feel like I'm saying this a lot lately, but: WHAT?

[quote]The border between faggot and dyke is a porous mucus membrane, or, to say another way, if we were to understand dyke and faggot as gender categories then they are much closer to one another than dyke is to cishet woman or faggot is to cishet man.

How are "faggot" and "dyke" gender categories?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100November 30, 2022 5:30 AM

Inspired by the poster upthread who did a reddit search on some of the Autostraddle writers, I just did a search of one of the people in the article at the top of the thread, Drew Gregory, and the word "faggot".

Uses it heaps, and indiscriminately. Drew states that they grew up as a male only attracted to females (claims life would've been easier if he were gay, but he just wasn't), and then transitioned to a female who identifies as a lesbian. So, in no way a gay man. I can't really make sense of what s/he is getting at when using the term. Posting photos of himself as a young boy with the caption "faggot" - I guess s/he views that as being daring or something, but it seems quite sad to me.

[quote]Instagram got mad at me for labeling this photo of me in 4th grade “faggot” lol

and uses it in ways like:

[quote]It is very silly to see people complaining that the Drag Race judging has gone downhill as if Ongina wasn't unfairly in the bottom and then eliminated in season ~one~. KNOW YOUR HISTORY, FAGGOTS.

[quote]Me, age 14, watching My Own Private Idaho: I love this movie because I love Shakespeare. Me, age 27, watching My Own Private Idaho: I love this movie because I'm a sad faggot... who loves Shakespeare.

[quote]The key to appreciating Apichatpong Weerasethakul is to see his early co-directed musical action drag comedy The Adventure of Iron Pussy so you can remember that while his movies may seem beautiful and boring they're actually the work of a silly faggot

I just don't understand the intention of using the word by this person. And apologies for the pronoun thing, but they seem to identify as anything and everything (they also identify as a "dyke" for example) that I have no idea what to say.

by Anonymousreply 101November 30, 2022 6:05 PM

This one is sad though, and might explain a lot about his childhood:

[quote]Sometimes I’m like ugh why didn’t I experiment more with gender presentation as a teen and other times I find a letter I wrote my mom asking her to stop saying that the way I hold cups makes me seem gay

[quote]Imagine fighting for a world where kids can be criticized for the way they... hold cups

[quote]To be fair I probably was holding cups like an absolute faggot

I have great parents as I mentioned above, but I won't forget one time my mother criticisng the way I swung my arms when I walked. That stings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102November 30, 2022 6:07 PM

I won't keep spamming the thread, but one more here. I'll give points to anyone who can work out what they mean in these two tweets:

[quote]Idk most of the trans dudes I know are faggots and most the trans girls I know are dykes and some of those faggots are also dykes and dykes are also faggots and a lot of them are also bisexual and cis people want to fuck all of us so they're bisexual too what is so complicated

[quote]And I’m a lesbian and queer and a dyke and a faggot and have decided bisexual isn’t a word that fits me but that could change someday because life is long and labels are weird and imagine getting the gift that is being queer and choosing to still be so fucking boring

My reading of it is: I AM SPECIAL AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT!

(and I'm STILL no closer to working out what exactly they mean by using the word faggot like this.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103November 30, 2022 6:10 PM

He's using that word to denigrate himself. Not much more complicated than that.

Yet somehow DLers who might object to these heterosexual 'queers' pulling this kind of shit are the assholes.

by Anonymousreply 104November 30, 2022 6:17 PM

[quote]He's using that word to denigrate himself. Not much more complicated than that.

Sometimes it seems like that to me too, but other times it's almost like Drew is really proud of it or thinks that he's "reclaiming" it or something. It's weird.

by Anonymousreply 105November 30, 2022 6:22 PM

Of course these nutballs love themselves.

Who the hell else is going to?

by Anonymousreply 106November 30, 2022 6:32 PM

It does seem to be a case of navel-gazing taken to an extreme level.

by Anonymousreply 107November 30, 2022 6:53 PM

I"m going to start referring to myself as "tranny" now.

by Anonymousreply 108November 30, 2022 11:38 PM

Maybe this person will learn what it's like to be fag-bashed. I'd pay to watch the video.

by Anonymousreply 109December 1, 2022 12:24 AM

[quote]Maybe this person will learn what it's like to be fag-bashed.

I feel like some of these people just want what they think of as the "prestige" of being oppressed, but they wouldn't be able to stand it a minute if they had to really live it, I'm sure. It's this insane "I'm the victim!" mentality so many people have now. Most gay men and lesbians just want to be left alone to get on with things, that's what they don't understand.

[quote]I"m going to start referring to myself as "tranny" now.

I'm sure there'll be some reason in their heads that there is a difference as to why you can't say that, but they can use faggot. Honestly, the lengths I've seen them go to when looking into this recently are hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 110December 1, 2022 6:41 AM

R110, and that's exactly why it pisses me off. I think deep down their rational is that since Sylvia and Marsha "threw the first bricks at Stonewall" (I know, total BS), this gives them the right to use gay slurs.

by Anonymousreply 111December 1, 2022 2:53 PM

You could be right, R111. They probably are the types who want to get a rise out ‘normies’ too.

I saw two people discuss their identities - one was ‘fagdyke’ and one was ‘dykefag’. What on earth this means, I have no idea, but it is kinda hilarious watching them take this nonsense seriously. I have to laugh, or I’ll cry probably, haha!

by Anonymousreply 112December 1, 2022 11:19 PM

R112, it's completely ridiculous but it still irritates me that people who aren't even gay are using the word like that. They can go fuck themselves. Let's all make shirts saying "trannygranny" or whatever, see how amusing they find that.

by Anonymousreply 113December 1, 2022 11:26 PM

I totally hear you, R113. They are very loaded terms for a lot of people and other people playing dress ups with them is definitely annoying. They are used a lot by people who are always complaining about how awful gay men are too. But they want to be us at the same time? Trying to figure this all out has been fascinating, frustrating, funny and confusing.

by Anonymousreply 114December 1, 2022 11:38 PM

R114, you are so spot on about that. According to many of these extreme trans/non-binary people, gay men are just the worst people on Earth, the equivalent of Hitler. And yet, they constantly try to piggyback off of our stories and accomplishments?OK then.

by Anonymousreply 115December 1, 2022 11:40 PM

Right? I’m noticing this a lot - I suppose that’s why they’re trying to minimise our contributions to our rights or write us out of our history all together.

I totally agree with you referring to it as extreme too. I know a couple of great, decent trans people who I am sure would find this just as ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 116December 1, 2022 11:47 PM

I hate that fucking word. Its a word that has always pissed me off.

by Anonymousreply 117December 1, 2022 11:57 PM

It’s also kinda funny that these people complain a lot about appropriation but don’t see what they’re doing as applicable at all.

by Anonymousreply 118December 2, 2022 12:01 AM

I'd devote more time to this discourse, but unlike these freaks, I have a job.

by Anonymousreply 119December 2, 2022 4:12 PM

To me, use of the F word by FTM's smacks of overcompensation. The subtext being, "I'm *such* a gay man that I can use their slur. And I'm *going* to use their slur on an exhibitionist level to signal unequivocally that I am one of them. And since you're not allowed to call me out on using this slur (because transmen are men), your silence is tacet validation that you see me in their identity."

As queen Gertrude said: The lady doth protest too much.

by Anonymousreply 120December 2, 2022 4:34 PM

R120 that is a brilliant summation - I think you are are right.

These people out there who are not gay men but want to be gay men but hate gay men at the same time are a real trip.

by Anonymousreply 121December 2, 2022 6:57 PM

[quote]and cis people want to fuck all of us so they're bisexual too what is so complicated

I kinda missed this the first time around, but seriously: no we don't. Wishing and hoping and thinking and praying indeed.

by Anonymousreply 122December 2, 2022 7:34 PM

OMG!!! I how random that I came accross this thread. The 'gay' ftm - gaby is, I cant even begin to describe - the most stereotypical BPD, attention seeking, 'queer', whatever woman. She has been collecting labels and identifies for forever and using them to make a 'name' for herself. She and a str8 girl used to (maybe still have) a midly popular YouTube channel. She was this 'poly, queer, sex positive, intersectional feminist' who used to whine and whine while wearing skanky clothes. She dated basic ass str8 white guy after basic ass str8 white guy but used to lecture on 'queer' visability etc. Think tumbler 2014; low cut tank top, long hair with shaved side, often colored, big chunky glasses, nose piercing (of course) and tats. She randomly popped up on twitter the other day; she has a short film where her real life partner (a ftm who looks like a bull dyke) gets knocked up from a random grindr date - because gay men really love fucking women who look like lezzies on grindr? I then went down the rabbit hole and see that she is also 'ftm' and 'gay' now. It would be hysterical if it wasn't so grotesque. Because OF COURSE she is a ftm now! thats just the next grift for these attention seeking women. Words fail me.

by Anonymousreply 123December 7, 2022 1:23 AM

Oh wow, R123! Thank you so much for sharing that, I don't feel so alone in how weirded out I was by her now. Hahah when you mentioned "whine and whine and whine" I started to laugh because, and this is a mean thing of me to say but, her voice is SO irritating, thinking of her whining is so unpleasant.

And how you describe her is exactly how she came across in that interview above - and how hilarious that she made a film about getting knocked up from Grindr! This is EXACTLY what I am talking about. These people love to play dress ups and involve themselves in gay men's lives in a way that would never actually happen.

"It would be hysterical if it wasn't so grotesque." My thoughts exactly. I have to laugh at this or I think I'd cry! Haha.

I wonder what she'll be next? I'm still so confused by her saying her and her ex bi boyfriend did "faggoty things" or whatever she said. I have no idea what that means, but I guess she thinks she does!

Seriously, very interesting post, thanks again!

by Anonymousreply 124December 7, 2022 5:50 PM

Even the CEO of that website gets in on the act. Maybe this isn't for me to say, but if she's bisexual, why is she identifying as a lesbian. She seems to be implying it's a choice to be a lesbian?

[quote]I sometimes say that I am bisexual by birth, lesbian by choice. Or something. On the day-to-day I don’t really care — queer, lesbian, gay, whatever. If I had to pick one, I’d pick “queer,” because it honors who I was (bisexual) and who I am (lesbian) and it’s a weirdo word and I’m a weirdo. But the more I get into studying lesbian history, the more I find myself drawn to “lesbian.” So many women fought so hard to live openly as lesbians and to find pride in that identity and I don’t want to reject/disregard that history, I want to embrace it and understand it and build on it, not against it. (I also like that it’s a word men can’t use.) I feel weird about people saying they “reject” labels — like, you can say that labels aren’t for you, personally, without acting like labels are suffocating or retro. In straight spaces, I usually just say “gay” / hope that nobody talks to me.

She likes that it's a word men can't use. I don't know if she means she thinks men aren't allowed to say it (In which case: "lesbian, lesbian, lesbian" - nope, everything is still ok, my lesbian friends are still talking to me) or she means men can't use it to describe themselves, which is very ironic considering everyone on that website seems to be using male terms to describe themselves.

Mostly it just seems like a statement to say, once again: "LOOK AT ME!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125December 7, 2022 5:55 PM

This Gaby Dunn character has her own Wikipedia page. Is she that famous? Maybe she is, but I am kinda giggling here, imagining her writing it all herself.

She also sounds insufferable:

[quote]Because 100 Interviews was an independent project, Dunn sometimes solicited interviews with candidates in non-traditional unexpected ways. Children's horror author R. L. Stine agreed to sit for an interview after Dunn "cold-tweeted" him on Twitter. After trying and failing to interview Colbert by crashing a $2,000 a plate dinner gala, Dunn settled for asking him questions during a pre-show Q&A for The Colbert Report.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126December 7, 2022 6:37 PM

Your welcome ^

by Anonymousreply 127December 8, 2022 3:55 AM

Falling down these rabbit holes is so interesting. I didn't actually have to fall far with Gaby Dunn to get a response of sorts to the question in the OP. "Of sorts" because it's actually just babbling, and she has no real argument, but as far as the use of terms like "faggot", what she had to say on a podcast called "Gender Reveal" is the following:

"So, I do identify as bisexual, then I sometimes am like 'No, I'm queer', then I get, like, *sigh*, upset about, like, the way that, like, younger people sort of police words, and so, you know, it's hard for [italic]me[/italic] as, like, a more public person to see friends of mine who are [italic]not[/italic] as public queers freely being like: 'I'm a dyke!' 'I'm a faggot!', you know, and then, like, the idea that, like, [italic]I[/italic] have had pushback for saying those words, and I think it's because, because people are like: 'You're bi, so you can't use those words', or like, whatever. Which is, like, such a mis-, like, interpretation of the history of queerness, I think, and it makes me, like, resentful, because I'm like, you don't, *sigh*, you're not seeing me. I'm gonna... I feel sometimes queerer than my audience and so that puts a limit on how queer I am perceived as. I think they want me to be palatable in a way that I don't feel I am. It's unfortunate sometimes because I'm, like, I'm allowed to be so much funnier in private with, like, my queer friends than I'm allowed to be publicly, and that sucks."

What a buncha nothing! And I'm so sorry it's been so hard for [italic]you[/italic] having people criticise your use of the word faggot! Me, being at parties during my uni days and overhearing guys wanting to get the "faggot" (me) outside so they could beat me up? Walk in the park! I'm so privileged!

I think she needs to go back and read up on more of our history, because if anyone is misinterpreting our history, it's her. But her statement above is so rambling that it sorta clicked in my mind as I heard her how much this is all complete bullshit.

To add, later on in the podcast, the host congratulated Gaby on her projects she did during the pandemic, which included "queer" table reads of movies like... Brokeback Mountain. WTF?! How is Brokeback Mountain [italic]not[/italic] a "queer" movie?

This girl is nuts!

by Anonymousreply 128December 8, 2022 10:16 AM

Oh god, I found the short film mentioned by R123, and I have so much second-hand embarrassment already that I can't actually watch it, haha. I was too slow to pause the very opening, which is the sound of a man and a woman (I assume the lesbian and the gay man) having orgasms (sounded much duller than gay sex does when I'm doing it, haha). But I just don't know if I can continue, ugh!

I mean, what a true to life story! /s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129December 8, 2022 6:44 PM

There's so much weirdness out there re: Drew and Gaby. Am now looking into Christina, who claims above that:

[quote]I am extremely femme for femme even though my femme vibes have shifted to be more faggy.

I feel like I need a whole new encyclopaedia to understand what these people are talking about, ha!

by Anonymousreply 130December 10, 2022 12:07 AM

Drew stated in one of his many articles that he felt he identified as "lesbian" and "wanted to be a part of that community" for "a long time" before he identified as female. There is a lot going on in his head.

I'm sorry I keep saying he/his rather than she/hers but it is quite difficult in this case because Drew reads as male in every way.

by Anonymousreply 131December 10, 2022 2:14 AM

Gen Z protoqueers love this word. You see a lot of 14 year old little girls on Twitter claiming they're a he/she and can use the word faggot 100x in a row. And now there's the whole "dykefaggot" nonsense the terminally online 30 year old fugly hags are using.

by Anonymousreply 132December 10, 2022 2:23 AM

[quote]the whole "dykefaggot" nonsense

I just can't... I mean... I feel like my brain is going to explode, because I just can't understand what this means or what they think it means. Those two things don't exist in the one person!

by Anonymousreply 133December 10, 2022 2:25 AM

[R133] I came across it for the second time in my life on Twitter 2 days ago. A 32 year old female was using it about themselves. I nearly broke my phone screen pressing the block button.

by Anonymousreply 134December 10, 2022 2:31 AM

Haha, R134! I don't blame you! I'm not sure there would've been any point asking her to explain it anyway; I find requests to explain this stuff get met with such incredible word salads that I feel like my brain has just shut down. And always with a side of "you're being problematic" too.

by Anonymousreply 135December 10, 2022 2:33 AM

Black people in general do not tolerate the N word, let alone making this level of freely using the N word by non-blacks happen at all. Gays on the other seem...

by Anonymousreply 136December 10, 2022 2:55 AM

We're told by DL's Queer Warriors, My Kind of Gays, and Yassss Kweens that we're transphobic and misogynistic for not letting these appropriating, mentally ill women do whatever they want.

by Anonymousreply 137December 10, 2022 2:59 AM

This is what I was wondering too, R136. The use of that word is a conversation among black people, but it's generally considered a word ok only for black people to decide how it's used.

But faggot is being used by many people who aren't gay men - the very same people who wouldn't tolerate a white person saying they felt like a black man and so were reclaiming the n-word think it's ok in this instance. It's so odd!

by Anonymousreply 138December 10, 2022 2:59 AM

[quote]We're told by DL's Queer Warriors, My Kind of Gays, and Yassss Kweens that we're transphobic and misogynistic for not letting these appropriating, mentally ill women do whatever they want.

It all confuses me. I guess it ties in with the ideas out there now that gay is something you can identify into rather than you just are, so if you can identify into it then you apparently can access all the culture, language and history, including our slurs. And no one wants to be thought of as a bigot or told they are being horrible to others, so we end up not calling it out so much when it happens, maybe?

I said on The L Word thread a moment ago, but I was watching the latest episode of the reboot last night and enjoying it, and then suddenly there is a conversation in there by some characters about how they dated "cis gay men" and we are the "worst". I just don't get where this animosity is coming from, and this weird 'I hate you but I'll have everything of yours too' mentality.

by Anonymousreply 139December 10, 2022 3:03 AM

DL icons like Helen Lawson, Neely O'Hara, and Jennifer North have the right to use the word. Not Anne Welles though, she was too pretty for her own good.

by Anonymousreply 140December 10, 2022 3:06 AM

No clue at all what the gender of the person in OP pic is, but I bet they're transitioning to something.

by Anonymousreply 141December 10, 2022 3:07 AM

[quote]I wonder what she'll be next?

Based on past experience of these types, a Hobbit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142December 10, 2022 3:07 AM

I've never loved the word. I remember wincing throughout Truth or Dare where Madonna kept talking about "fags". I know she is an ally and it probably came from her hanging around the community and being a part of it, but it is always said with this kind of disdain or something. Hard to explain.

by Anonymousreply 143December 10, 2022 3:08 AM

[quote]I wonder what she'll be next?

I think personalities like hers and Drew's will always keep changing because on looking into these people the one thing that comes up again and again is them talking about their need for validation and for "being seen". It seems to be wanting to be centre of attention at all costs.

I did crack up when Drew wrote a whole article about poppers like he was the one to discover them. There's something so needy about this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144December 10, 2022 3:10 AM

^That article also has the strangest/funniest line in it:

[quote]Drunk and high and in my own poppers daze, I’m struck with a simple thought that feels like the most important revelation of my life. “Dykes and faggots are the same!” I shout. I start running around The Abbey shouting, “Dykes and faggots are the same!” I tweet it. I run outside, still buzzing, and I hit my head on a tree.

by Anonymousreply 145December 10, 2022 3:15 AM

Joan and Bette used to regularly call the gays fags and we only loved them even more for it.

by Anonymousreply 146December 10, 2022 3:17 AM

^I'm not sure I would've. I mean, my self esteem is fairly low, but it's not [italic]that[/italic] low, you know?

by Anonymousreply 147December 10, 2022 3:33 AM

Quiet, faggot.

by Anonymousreply 148December 10, 2022 8:14 AM

[quote] there is a conversation in there by some characters about how they dated "cis gay men" and we are the "worst". I just don't get where this animosity is coming from

From the respectability politics of the early gay rights movement. The late 1960s and 1970s gay rights movement was primarily about making gays seem like fine, upstanding, clean-cut professional white men, and they were the ones who ran the gay rights movement at the time. They edged out women (as every professional organization did back then) but also gays who were too flaming and obvious, any sex workers, poor people, people of color, and trans people. They would say that to be accepted they had to be better versions of the average upwardly mobile American, and keep their private lives hidden.

This was basically accepted for several years, but I'd say by the time disco and dance really took hold, the culture had come to accept overtly gay men as long as they didn't come right out and SAY they were gay (Village People, Paul Lynde, Elton until he said he was bisexual, at which point his career suffered).

As the decades moved on and the gay rights movement finally got rid of N*MBLA, and started becoming an LGBT movement meant to be more diverse and larger and, therefore, more powerful politically, the LBT made it clear that they weren't happy that the G had thrown them under the bus all those decades ago.

That said, there are two important factors no one on any side of the issue ever wants to bring up: one, that most of the gay leaders from that era died in the AIDS epidemic and there isn't anyone left to say "you're right, we took the wrong approach and we're sorry," so there's never going to be a real apology or even a good discussion about what happened, and two, that the entire culture looked down on women, people of color, trans etc. and the gay rights movement wasn't the only one responsible.

The end result is this overarching hate for white gay men, but it's an unfocused hate and I would imagine the vast majority of people who parrot the "cis white gays are the worst" don't really even know where it's coming from, or why. They just take it as truth. My experience is that lesbians, bis, trans, etc. my age (early 50s) and older recognize it for what it is, but younger people don't.

by Anonymousreply 149December 10, 2022 8:36 AM

[quote]I just can't... I mean... I feel like my brain is going to explode, because I just can't understand what this means or what they think it means. Those two things don't exist in the one person!

They're reclaiming "faggot" as if it means "gay" in general, not "gay man." Like I said earlier, I think this started during the blogger days when people were saying things to be edgy and crude, and somehow it got picked up by the general LGBT online populace and now younger people say "I'm a dykefaggot" to try to make themselves sound like they're hardcore.

Honestly, I don't see this particular example of reclamation of language taking off. I think it's got a limited scope, i.e. LGBT who still read those blogs and who post on social media, and I bet we won't be seeing it much in a couple of years.

by Anonymousreply 150December 10, 2022 8:40 AM

[quote]Honestly, I don't see this particular example of reclamation of language taking off. I think it's got a limited scope, i.e. LGBT who still read those blogs and who post on social media

Maybe it is limited to those who were the ones on tumblr all the time. It will be interesting to see. I imagine it will be harder to get away with too, as I am sure many gay men might not have such a problem with "gay" or even "queer" being used as such, but may draw the line at "faggot".

R149, my problem with them saying things like that is that it isn't like "cis gay men" have actually been privileged - they are the most likely to suffer violence according to statistics and have a whole history of being treated terribly themselves. I'd also ask these people who claim that "cis gay men" are the worst why, if they hate them so much do they want to BE them at the same time, to take the history, language, culture?

Me, I'd never cut the women out of our fight, personally. I think I would be much more "Gay and Lesbian" than "Mattachine", you know?

by Anonymousreply 151December 10, 2022 12:51 PM

Nobody aside from gay men has the right to use the word fag. That's just how it goes. If this "person" doesn't understand that, they need to get their ass beat.

by Anonymousreply 152December 10, 2022 3:17 PM

[quote]Nobody aside from gay men has the right to use the word fag.

You'd think that'd be a pretty uncontroversial statement - that anyone can see that it exists along the same lines as a certain racial slur for black people, but some of these women seem to be very invested in their "right" to use the word faggot.

Like the poster above, I don't know that this will ever take off in a big way, but I would have no problem calling this out if it ever started being used like this in front of me in real life.

I think when it comes down to it, while I'm trying to understand the why it's being used like this and what they mean by it, it really probably is simply that they think they are being edgy and there really isn't any logic behind the use. These people annoy me.

by Anonymousreply 153December 10, 2022 6:40 PM

They annoy me too. They should just start calling themselves fraus or something.

by Anonymousreply 154December 10, 2022 9:50 PM

FAGGOT doesn't mean a thing in my language, so I couldn't care less about it.

by Anonymousreply 155December 10, 2022 9:56 PM

[quote] Nobody aside from gay men has the right to use the word fag. That's just how it goes. If this "person" doesn't understand that, they need to get their ass beat.

You know what will happen if it gets to that point: “How DARE you suggest that I get hit? [bold]I’m a girl!!![/bold]”

by Anonymousreply 156December 10, 2022 10:21 PM

R156, I can totally see that happening myself. They can't play victim and asshole at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 157December 10, 2022 10:23 PM

Oh these female "men/nb" loons have indeed no problem freely shrieking "Misogyny!" when they get called out by men. Then still claim they're not women but that violence done by men means misogyny. Don't bother with "don't you call yourself men?"

They shriek: "Cis men!" Cis men's misogyny! Cis white (gay) men are the worst!

by Anonymousreply 158December 10, 2022 10:40 PM

R156, that is a very good point.

[quote]Oh these female "men/nb" loons have indeed no problem freely shrieking "Misogyny!" when they get called out by men. Then still claim they're not women but that violence done by men means misogyny. Don't bother with "don't you call yourself men?"

[quote]They shriek: "Cis men!" Cis men's misogyny! Cis white (gay) men are the worst!

I think a lot of this comes, as I have noticed when reading up on people like those in the OP, from a real need for validation, and gay men don't give the validation they need because we don't sleep with them. Even if everything else ("I respect you for who you are") is meant, it's that not sleeping with them that I think really sticks in their craw.

That Drew guy above said something in one of the articles that I found quite chilling, and I hope therapy is sought. Basically said that sometimes he just wishes he would get raped by some douchbag jock because that would validate him as a woman. This is a sign of something really disturbing and hopefully they get some help there.

by Anonymousreply 159December 10, 2022 11:19 PM

[quote]Nobody aside from gay men has the right to use the word fag.

An example. The song below makes me laugh (not mention the nostalgia), plus for all its light-heartedness, it does touch on an aspect of gay male experience (particularly from the days guys could be less open). He'd probably get stick today for the line: "Boy, I ain't no girl, I can take it like a man", haha.

Gaby calling what she and her boyfriend used to do as "faggoty" makes my skin crawl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160December 11, 2022 1:47 AM

Females cannot be faggots.

Is it even worth remarking on any of this stuff anymore?

by Anonymousreply 161December 11, 2022 2:15 AM

[quote] "cis white gays are the worst"

To whomever: Thank you for the compliment.

by Anonymousreply 162December 11, 2022 2:21 AM

I am sick of reading "queer" everywhere and even "LGBT".

I don't care to be lumped with all of these others.

by Anonymousreply 163December 11, 2022 2:31 AM

[quote]Is it even worth remarking on any of this stuff anymore?

I kinda like to be prepared, just in case someone does say something along these lines to me in person, just 'cause I know that otherwise I would probably be so stunned I wouldn't be very good in responding.

[quote]cis white gays are the worst

I saw one person say that "cis" gay men where the worst thing to happen to the gay community. I mean, that is actually hilarious. They didn't even stop to think about what they were saying there, haha!

by Anonymousreply 164December 11, 2022 9:40 AM

Apparently this Gaby wants to turn "Grindr Baby" into a tv series. I think she thinks this idea is more original that it is. I feel like I remember countless "gay man gets woman pregnant" storylines from about 20 years ago. Wasn't there some British show about a threesome where one guy was straight and one was gay and they had sex with this girl and didn't know who the father was? And another British show about a gay man who married a woman for some reason?

I always hated this kind of thing when I saw it because I just wanted to see gay men being gay, and it always seemed to be implying that being gay was something that could be overcome somehow. I was pretty young at the time and it sucked to finally see a gay man on TV and have him suddenly engage in straight sex. If he were bi, sure that would make sense. But it was always gay men.

by Anonymousreply 165December 12, 2022 5:33 AM

As I said, this is just another iteration of her unhinged 'queer' grift. And she is actually the norm; most 'ftms' are creepy, personality disordered, obsessive str8 girls who fetishise gay men and go to bizarre lengths to not only try to claim the identity and insert themselves in gay culture, but to then mold and dictate it. Im betting Victoria scone will come out as a gay ftm in the next few years...she has all the hallmarks. So called 'lesbian' -but not at all butch and is obsessed with gay men and their culture and inserting herself in it. Bob the drag queen is dating a ftm that was a former lesbian who is now a 'bi poly fag'

by Anonymousreply 166December 13, 2022 4:40 AM

[quote]creepy, personality disordered, obsessive str8 girls who fetishise gay men and go to bizarre lengths to not only try to claim the identity and insert themselves in gay culture, but to then mold and dictate it.

It’s so bizarre. This is how it’s coming across to me too and not only that but they then turn around and say how awful we are. It’s like… I dunno… cuckoos laying their eggs in another nest and then killing what’s already there, or something.

A funny thing is when someone brings up Rachel Dolezal to these odd people. The outrage at suggesting that is quite funny, and it feels kinda like the same thing…

by Anonymousreply 167December 13, 2022 8:04 PM

Wait until you read about Sadie Doyle.......

by Anonymousreply 168December 13, 2022 8:19 PM

Saw this pic in another thread earlier today and immediately thought of this discussion:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169December 13, 2022 11:56 PM

R168 - who’s Sadie Doyle? I tried looking her up but got a few different results.

R169 - that pic raises so many questions. Why is it ok for them to use fag like that and how is a girl ever a fag anyway?

by Anonymousreply 170December 13, 2022 11:59 PM

He’s a straight man.

by Anonymousreply 171December 14, 2022 12:09 AM

Ok, if I didn't know that this Gaby Dunn was just some attention seeking person before, I think I do now.

It seems a couple of years ago she got breast implants. She's there bragging about her new tits and how they cost $10,000 etc.

Now she's saying: "Well, I think I might get top surgery, because I'm transmasculine..."

I don't know from gender dysphoria issues, but I imagine if you really have it then as soon as your tits start to come in at puberty you are probably hating it and feeling really uncomfortable. Not getting breast implants in your late 20s/early 30s and proudly talking about them, and then just hinting later that you might get them taken off.

I'm going to make a prediction now that she never gets top surgery, and also that she will probably stop all this once the attention she gets from being "transmasculine" dies down, or she splits with her partner and finds something new to get her the attention she craves. She does seem to talk a lot about "being seen" as something really important to her after all.

When I heard her proudly going on about her $10,000 tits it just all clicked that none of this is real in her. Not only is she insulting to gay men with her saying she is a gay man and using slurs, she's insulting to genuine trans people too!

by Anonymousreply 172December 14, 2022 6:02 PM

Interesting update on the above: apparently she HAS just had top surgery, make of that what you will.

Of course she’s now complaining because service industry people don’t immediately flag her and her partner as being gay men. And she’s happily outraged that someone thought they were brothers, which seems like more appropriation of experiences that gay men sometimes have.

by Anonymousreply 173December 14, 2022 10:07 PM

I want to see video proof of someone assuming that this person is male prior to being lectured about misgendering. I can't imagine it happening with a sighted or hearing observer.

by Anonymousreply 174December 14, 2022 10:45 PM

R155 No language matters except the language of Jesus, English.

by Anonymousreply 175December 14, 2022 11:35 PM

Right, R174? That voice is all female for a start. No one would be fooled. I’ve actually noticed that testosterone doesn’t really seem to do much to women’s voices except make them sound like a boy whose voice is starting to crack at the most.

by Anonymousreply 176December 15, 2022 2:51 AM

Can't find out as much about the third person above, Christina Tucker, though there is this gem:

[italic]Drew: My name is Drew Gregory, I’m a writer for Autostraddle and I’m a filmmaker, and I’m a trans woman, and a lesbian, and a dyke, and a faggot.

Christina: That’s simply so tight. I am Christina Tucker, I am also a writer at Autostraddle. I’m kind of just like a deranged queer online. For fun, I recently learned that I don’t know how to lace up shoes, that was something I learned about myself today. Really a fun journey to be on. I also am a lesbian, I am a Black lesbian. Also kind of a faggot, let’s be honest.

Drew: Very much so.

Christina: Like let’s be honest, let’s be honest. Was I listening to a live version of “For Good” like three seconds before we hopped onto this recording? No one can say for sure. There’s no proof except for the photo I sent Drew, but there’s no proof of it.[/italic]

So I guess to be a "faggot" you need to listen to musical theatre, is her argument? Or just songs from Wicked? See, I like musicals, but I don't like Wicked particularly. So, am I a faggot or not? Oh, I so need Miss Christina Seemingly Mostly Straight But Occasionally Talks About How Hot She Thinks Women Are Tucker to define it for me! She would know!

by Anonymousreply 177December 15, 2022 7:00 PM

R177, I was simultaneously amused and pissed off while reading that. Fuck them both.

by Anonymousreply 178December 15, 2022 7:27 PM

R178 - perfectly put, that is exactly how I am feeling looking into this whole thing too, haha!

by Anonymousreply 179December 15, 2022 7:56 PM

R179, I hope gay men bombard them on twitter about their use of the f word. But I feel like they probably won't./

by Anonymousreply 180December 15, 2022 8:00 PM

R180, there will always be a word salad response justifying why they are allowed to say it that most people will just find not worth arguing with, I imagine. They don’t argue from logic with can be so difficult to to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 181December 15, 2022 8:02 PM

Just following on from R181, I did go and have a look into what people are saying about this and… I think my brain has shut down for the day. As I suspected, it didn’t make much sense.

by Anonymousreply 182December 15, 2022 10:12 PM

R182, that's what I was afraid of. Such BS.

by Anonymousreply 183December 16, 2022 12:11 AM

The song "Money For Nothing" contains the word fag and people here defend it and say that anyone who criticizes it is "woke"

Stop being hypocrites

by Anonymousreply 184December 16, 2022 12:14 AM

Hold on, R184. How do you know people here are being hypocritical? This is an anonymous board - it doesn’t necessarily follow that the posters complaining about that song are the same ones posting here.

by Anonymousreply 185December 16, 2022 3:29 AM

[quote]The song "Money For Nothing" contains the word fag and people here defend it and say that anyone who criticizes it is "woke"

This never happened.

by Anonymousreply 186December 16, 2022 3:39 AM

It's unacceptable, OP, end of discussion.

by Anonymousreply 187December 16, 2022 3:40 AM

More and more women are calling themselves gay men.

by Anonymousreply 188December 16, 2022 4:05 AM

"More and more women are calling themselves gay men."

Yeah, now its .0000006% of women calling themselves gay men instead of .0000000000000001% of women calling themselves gay men. Huge increase!

by Anonymousreply 189December 16, 2022 4:11 AM

"This never happened."

Yeah, it did (see link)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190December 16, 2022 4:13 AM

Some of the comments at r190:

"A lot of people care about the context because they GET it. You don't. You are pathologically woke."

"OP, are you trying to cancel this song?"

If you're gonna defend straight guys using the word....

by Anonymousreply 191December 16, 2022 4:15 AM

My mistake. Please, mentally ill women with zippertits, call yourselves faggots to your hearts’ content. DL’s My Kind Of Gays have deemed it acceptable. THEY’RE JUST SO SMART AND SUPERIOR TO EVERYONE ELSE.

by Anonymousreply 192December 16, 2022 4:17 AM

r189 Well women are 50% of the pop and gay men are only 2-3% of male pop so yeah, a small increase in women IDing as 'gay men' is a big deal. And there should be zero anyway; there is no such thing as a gay man trapped in the body of a female. Period.

by Anonymousreply 193December 16, 2022 4:18 AM

Hardly any women ID as gay men, way to freak out over a problem that doesn't exist. Like the Republican politicians passing laws to punish the three trans athletes who live in their state

by Anonymousreply 194December 16, 2022 4:20 AM

r194 Tell me you are a boomer without telling me you are a boomer. Any LGBT space with under 30's and half the attendees are ftms - 90% are gay or bi IDing.

by Anonymousreply 195December 16, 2022 4:23 AM

The Yasssss Kweeens have determined that this is not to be discussed.

by Anonymousreply 196December 16, 2022 4:27 AM

"Any LGBT space with under 30's and half the attendees are ftms - 90% are gay or bi IDing."

This is not true at all

by Anonymousreply 197December 16, 2022 4:28 AM

Funny when fags are offended by that word but are quick to call someone a cunt. Sorta makes my day.

by Anonymousreply 198December 16, 2022 4:47 AM

It makes your day that unhinged women like gaby Dunn are platformed on 'gay' sites like autostraddle call themselves faggots? Why are you here, homophobe?

by Anonymousreply 199December 16, 2022 4:49 AM

I don’t tend to use that word R198 but I also don’t think they’re equivalent. Faggot is more along the line

by Anonymousreply 200December 16, 2022 4:50 AM

Re-read my post, Mary. I referenced no specific person.

by Anonymousreply 201December 16, 2022 4:51 AM

Gaby Dunn strikes me as insane.

So, looking into it, some non-gay make people are arguing that because a bigot used faggot against them once, that means they can reclaim, because bigots don’t make distinctions when using the term.

I’m curious what you boss think of this. My problem is, by that logic you could say straight men could reclaim it as it has probably been used against them at some point too. But its meaning relates to gay men specifically.

Can non-black people (like arabs) reclaim that slur because ignorant people use it against them sometimes too?

by Anonymousreply 202December 16, 2022 4:55 AM

Sorry, my post at 200 got cut off, I was saying it is more along the line of the anti-black slur.

by Anonymousreply 203December 16, 2022 4:56 AM

She is insane and was just as adamant 5 years ago about being a bisexual poly cis woman and ranting about bi-erasue by gays because she had a boyfriend - but now she is a 'gay man'? oh please.

by Anonymousreply 204December 16, 2022 4:57 AM

Ugh, the autocorrect in my post at R202! Many apologies!

*male, not make

*boys, not boss

by Anonymousreply 205December 16, 2022 4:57 AM

I find it perspicacious and lugubrious.

by Anonymousreply 206December 16, 2022 4:58 AM

That’s what I find too, R204! You don’t have to go back far to see how she identified completely differently only a year ago. I mean, she’s bragging about being a hot girl and spending $10K on tit implants and now she’s cut them off and saying she’s a gay man? What next?

by Anonymousreply 207December 16, 2022 5:00 AM

[quote] Funny when fags are offended by that word but are quick to call someone a cunt. Sorta makes my day.

Get off this site.

by Anonymousreply 208December 16, 2022 12:21 PM

I can't say that I've ever seen a woman call someone a faggot - it seems to be mostly straight men using it as a slur against each other.

by Anonymousreply 209December 16, 2022 12:34 PM

Anyone can be gay! Yay!

by Anonymousreply 210December 16, 2022 12:54 PM

I personally don’t like it when I hear people use the F word.

It’s not OK.

by Anonymousreply 211December 16, 2022 1:05 PM

Only homosexual males can use that word, not 'queer' heterosexuals.

by Anonymousreply 212December 16, 2022 1:14 PM

I'm in alignment with R212, I think. Unless you're in the UK and you're ordering from a restaurant, of course.

[quote]I can't say that I've ever seen a woman call someone a faggot - it seems to be mostly straight men using it as a slur against each other.

It's not as big a slur used in my country as it seems to be in the US, so take that for what it's worth, but I seem to have personally more heard it from women who are trying to be "one of the gays". I don't even really hear gay men use it that much. Mostly "fag hags".

There is this movement though in "queer" spaces for people who aren't gay men to reclaim that word (and also who are not lesbians to reclaim dyke). The more I think of it, the more I think the poster above who mentioned people thinking they are being edgy has a lot to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 213December 16, 2022 9:30 PM

R209 I've seen black women use it a lot, many times to their sons in public if they're acting up

"Quit crying boy, don't be a little faggot!"

by Anonymousreply 214December 16, 2022 9:35 PM

There are some interesting "side-rabbit holes" to fall down with this whole conversation started off by those three in the original article above too. Like the story of the all-trans Brokeback Mountain table reading. This seems like a fun idea for them, no different I'm sure to gay men reimagining what all gay casts of popular moves would be.

Except that these guys took it so seriously, like having fun was secondary to some sort of message that doesn't really make any sense. The way they think of the movie Brokeback Mountain is odd, they seem to be implying that Brokeback Mountain was only "halfway there" - that it really should've been something different, but due to the times it was made in, it couldn't, and now they were improving on it? I don't quite get that.

Here's Gaby's view:

[quote]“‘Brokeback’ to me is so much about masculinity. I thought the only way we could do it is to make it specifically trans,” said Gaby Dunn, who’s producing the live reading with Karl Saint Lucy. “These characters are so trapped by the gender roles.”

Also this comment:

[quote]Hatkoff said that, in 2005, it was meaningful to see a queer romance on the big screen, but he points to the cisgender, masculine identity infused in both the story and the people making it. “It’s not an indictment of the film, but I think times have changed, and we’re a lot more aware of who is at the table,” he said. “Three of the lead actors are people of color, which also subverts the ‘white energy’ of the original.”

I mean, I'm all for them doing this table reading, I just don't understand why the original movie is being viewed as being something that seems to need to be fixed, rather than just creating new stories and movies.

by Anonymousreply 215December 16, 2022 9:40 PM

Just cross-posting my comment on the "Gay bars are closing..." thread, because fellas, we got ourselves ANOTHER one!

[quote]Oh good grief, I looked up this Gabriel Mac person and she has a site called The Faggot-Witch Whenever. Yet another one of these insane people throwing that word around as though that's not extremely offensive (we've been discussing this topic on another thread recently).

[quote]She also sounds nuts. The titles of her articles sound ridiculous, ie "This Morning, I Woke Up and Pooped in a Truck". Who wants to know about THAT?

by Anonymousreply 216December 17, 2022 1:30 AM

Top surgery has changed how Gaby is being addressed, though maybe not quite as she hoped. She reports she is now getting called "Miss" rather than "Ma'am"...

by Anonymousreply 217December 17, 2022 2:49 AM

The more I'm thinking about this, the more horrifying I'm finding it. This girl might be annoying with her insistence on being a gay man, using the word "faggot" and co-opting us, but she has also frigging [italic]mutilated[/italic] her body! And for what?

If she had been someone who had felt serious dysphoria about her body since she started developing, I might be able to understand it, but she just decided a couple of years ago to "explore gender identity". And now she's done this? Put herself on testosterone and hacked her tits off? I wish I was harder-hearted about things like this, but it actually really gets to me. It's disturbing!

by Anonymousreply 218December 17, 2022 8:21 AM

Maybe next year she'll identify as Marie Antoinette and have her head chopped off.

[quote]I mean, I'm all for them doing this table reading, I just don't understand why the original movie is being viewed as being something that seems to need to be fixed, rather than just creating new stories and movies.

Because doing the latter would require creativity and hard work. Appropriating someone else's already successful work only requires a sense of entitlement.

by Anonymousreply 219December 18, 2022 7:48 PM

[quote]Because doing the latter would require creativity and hard work. Appropriating someone else's already successful work only requires a sense of entitlement.

I think this is the crux of it. Why work for something when you can just take it? And I think these Online Nuts feel we are easy marks because we can be guilted into it or something.

The argument seems to be that they have less earning potential so we should hand things over to them rather than them working for things, but didn't lesbians have some of the worst earning potential back in the day and still managed to work hard and make things happen? Also, why we are expected to do it any more than straight people is strange too. Entitlement is the right word.

by Anonymousreply 220December 18, 2022 8:57 PM

Gaby's partner Mal takes videos of themselves talking to their therapist and shares them online. That's a whole new level of "look at me"-ism that I hadn't seen before.

by Anonymousreply 221December 18, 2022 9:07 PM

[quote]Gaby's partner Mal takes videos of themselves talking to their therapist and shares them online.

I can't determine if you mean that they both are talking to the therapist and are posting the videos of this online, or just one of them is doing this....

by Anonymousreply 222December 19, 2022 5:32 AM

Sorry, R222, I meant that Mal is doing it alone. The pronouns are difficult in this case, makes it more confusing I understand.

by Anonymousreply 223December 19, 2022 11:16 AM

I did see someone refer to that website as "Autogynestraddle" which made me laugh a bit too much, hehe.

by Anonymousreply 224December 20, 2022 8:57 PM

FAGGOT is 2nd fave word. 1st is NIGGER

by Anonymousreply 225December 20, 2022 11:26 PM

^These people who throw the first around would never accept the second and would refuse to see the comparison of these words on each community. Hell, I was listening to some of these people talk in my deep dive down the rabbit hole, and they talk all seriously about the "t-slur" and the "r-word", and then it's like: "faggot, fag, faggy, faggoty, hahaha!". It's bloody odd.

by Anonymousreply 226December 20, 2022 11:31 PM

If you break down Gaby Dunn's feelings on her gender, it always, bizarrely, comes down to one thing: the length of her hair. She's obsessed with hair length as an indicator of gender.

by Anonymousreply 227December 21, 2022 7:51 PM

I need to stop with going down the latest rabbit hole on top surgery because it makes me feel very sad that so many people do this to themselves unnecessarily. And now I discover some women are choosing to get it down and have their nipples removed too? One girl said: "I decided to because my nipples were always hard, always in the way..." You had sexually responsive nipples and you removed them? God...

There's going to be a lot of distress over this in a decade, I can just see it.

by Anonymousreply 228December 21, 2022 8:28 PM

Anyone else remember the woman who got her tits and nips removed and had the ‘phantom nipple pinching’? She made a Tik Tok video about it and was practically in tears throughout.

There really does seem to be a movement of women desperately trying to escape femininity, likely due to past trauma, and this war on breasts seems to be a side effect of it. Fine, do what you want, but don’t expect us to go along with that and demand we find it attractive, or to go along with you calling yourselves slurs that were and are still used against us.

by Anonymousreply 229December 21, 2022 8:37 PM

[quote]There really does seem to be a movement of women desperately trying to escape femininity

This is a very sobering thought. What is going on? I find this very sad, truthfully.

I don't know enough about it, but I suppose if they change their minds later they can get breast implants again? But it just seems like a lot of body trauma, and it honestly gives me goosebumps.

by Anonymousreply 230December 21, 2022 8:42 PM

seeing so many 'queer' women come out as 'gay fag Boyz' in the last 5 years has really made me suspicious of any 'queer' girl. And its so strange that even here on DL so many 'gay' men deny its a thing, or think ftms are all butch lesbians into women, or even think that there is nothing wrong with females calling themselves gay men. Its really made me dislike bi men more, and they are so often gaslighting us gay men into this shit. Call me hateful, call me whatever, but Ive reached the point where I dont care. There is so much homophobia coming from within the 'house' now. And we dont just have to accept it, we have to actively embrace this homophobia!

by Anonymousreply 231December 22, 2022 7:45 AM

It does seem to me that in the interests of "being kind" to people, we're starting to be required to pretend facts don't exist. I don't think that helps anyone.

I believe in living and letting live, but that doesn't extend so far as to allowing another's "living" to infringe on the rights of others.

by Anonymousreply 232December 22, 2022 11:14 AM

A weird connection with these people I've noticed is how many of them on Twitter have their banner picture being a woman sculling alcohol. What's that about?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233December 23, 2022 9:23 PM

Hint: That’s not a woman.

by Anonymousreply 234December 23, 2022 10:35 PM

The person in the cover picture? (ie not Drew). Oh, yeah you may be right!

by Anonymousreply 235December 23, 2022 11:26 PM

Gaby Dunn has just had her tits chopped off and has changed her name, but has also spoken about how one day she may change her mind and go back to being a girl again. Huh? How do you have dysphoria, then?

by Anonymousreply 236February 5, 2023 10:47 PM

[quote]or even think that there is nothing wrong with females calling themselves gay men

That's weird to me. It just doesn't compute that a woman can ever be a gay man, in the same way I can never be a straight woman.

by Anonymousreply 237February 6, 2023 7:35 PM

[quote]There is so much homophobia coming from within the 'house' now.

Sometimes I wonder: is it homophobia, as in do the people saying this stuff actively not like homosexuals, or is it more a kind of inability for some bisexuals to understand what it's like to be solely attracted to one sex? These being the bisexuals who "identify" as gay or lesbian, you understand? I only ask, because listening to a few podcasts recently, I hear many comments like: "I don't understand why she (straight woman) wouldn't want to get oral from another women! You can't see the person giving you oral!" which is a laughably dumb thing to say, but I think some people believe it. If you are actually bisexual but identify as a lesbian, maybe you really can't understand what it's like to be a real "lesbian lesbian" (tm Whoopi)? Same as you can't understand gay men or straight people, because to you, you can be attracted to both men and women. If I'm making sense?

For me as a gay man, it's so obvious that it's impossible to be attracted to a woman. If I were bi, but "identified" as gay, maybe I would feel different?

by Anonymousreply 238February 8, 2023 9:05 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239February 8, 2023 9:35 PM

^

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240February 8, 2023 9:35 PM

Wait, R239 - Livejournal is still a thing? I really wasn't expecting that!

(It kind of makes sense though, some of this stuff does seem straight out of the Livejournal/Tumblr communities.)

by Anonymousreply 241February 9, 2023 12:29 AM

Mentally ill womyn.

by Anonymousreply 242February 9, 2023 12:45 AM

[quote]Mentally ill womyn.

Gaby is now "Gabe" apparently, and is telling men that they have a duty, being men, to give her their men's clothes for free. There has to be some mental illness involved here, I agree.

by Anonymousreply 243February 9, 2023 12:47 AM

It really is just so incredible to witness. As I said, I remember her as a basic str8 girl who then turned alt 'bi' girl (who dated lanky straight white guy after lanky straight white guy) who now is a 'gay' man. She was this feminist who positioned everything through feminist theory etc.

Oh, and this is the first time I have been able to post on this website in like 3 months...wth? Dont know if I will stay here, too annoying.

by Anonymousreply 244February 9, 2023 12:51 AM

I hear my students use "gay" as a slur. I correct them every time I hear it. I never hear "f-."

by Anonymousreply 245February 9, 2023 12:54 AM

R244, it is so interesting to read your post, as she only came into my consciousness fairly recently. I wonder what she will do next, once the attention from doing this dries up? She's already indicated that she might "change her mind" and become a girl again later (she "doesn't think she will" but still has it as an "option", to be a "girl with small tits" ). She was whining somewhere else about people not "seeing [me]" when they criticise her using the word "faggot", so this whole thing seems like nothing more than a case of "I DEMAND YOU LOOK AT ME!" in a very mentally ill way.

I've also noticed she's trasformed into the standard "pasty, fleshy, undefined body" that seems standard, when she used to look pretty fit.

by Anonymousreply 246February 9, 2023 12:57 AM

Oh she is off her rocker and an attention whore to her bones - most of these type are. Whatever label or 'look' that is current or seems progressive or edgy they not only grab onto, but become evangelical about and obsessed with the performance of it. She my very well become a born again christian in 10 years time.......

by Anonymousreply 247February 9, 2023 1:04 AM

[quote]but become evangelical about and obsessed with the performance of it. She my very well become a born again christian in 10 years time.......

This is a very good point. There IS something very religious-minded about it too. Weirdly bizarre/funny how obsessed to the nth degree they are with being a gay man - more than myself or any other actual gay man I know!

I don't know what I would do if faced with someone like this in real life. The urge to be polite is very strong, but I would have to get away as quickly as possible, I think.

by Anonymousreply 248February 9, 2023 1:07 AM

When I come across twitter acc. whose bio include the tranny flag (& no words like 'ally') I can see exactly the fake loons' exact identities because all they shout are completely 100% opposite of who they are.

Tranny flag + he/him + sthsth FAG + even FagDyke + sthsth Gay(man) + GAYmer and so on. Fakes are the loudest.

by Anonymousreply 249February 9, 2023 1:19 AM

I have noticed in my neighborhood bar. Mostly young women calling something undesirable "gay." One girl was complaing about the lack of an outdoor smoking patio. Calling that gay. Someone yelled out that a gay bar probably had one.

by Anonymousreply 250February 9, 2023 1:28 AM

^People still do that? How very 2006 of them.

by Anonymousreply 251February 9, 2023 1:50 AM

Drew Gregory's review of Angels in America contains this bit. A reminder that he isn't a gay man:

[quote]My biggest issue with this version is Justin Kirk as Prior. My biggest issue when I saw it on Broadway was Andrew Garfield as Prior. I don't want to say Prior should ONLY be played by a queer performer but I think probably. Prior is the heart of the play and it just doesn't quite work when you have a straight actor performing faggotry in this way.

by Anonymousreply 252February 9, 2023 2:31 AM

Drew Gregory fucks women (who knows what these morons *identify as*) or 'vagina-havers'. So he is a "straight/hetero" white man happily shrieking homophobic slurs all he wants - "queer" "faggotry"

by Anonymousreply 253February 9, 2023 2:35 AM

Yeah, R253, that's what confuses me - why on earth does he think that it's ok to use those words? He was certainly ranting about people using the t-slur, and you know what, I won't use that word if it offends him, but he thinks it ok to use one that offends others? Talk about entitled.

I do wonder what sorts of family backgrounds these people have. They remind me very much of kids who come from wealthy backgrounds where they really have nothing to worry about so they start inventing problems, you know?

by Anonymousreply 254February 9, 2023 2:46 AM

R254 The hypocrisy is off the charts with the gender ideology crowd.

God forbid you call them a "he" instead of a "they". They will melt down like a child.

But it's totally OK for them to call us "faggots".

by Anonymousreply 255February 9, 2023 3:28 AM

The hypocrisy is very obvious, I agree, R255. I am sure there is a word salad answer as to why using gay slurs isn't bad, but who knows? I imagine it ends up along the lines of an insinuation that not like the word "faggot" makes you a bigot somehow.

by Anonymousreply 256February 9, 2023 6:13 AM

Oh, and I really want to know... what is "performing faggotry"? Like, what does that involve? I haven't seen the film Angels in America, but what exactly is that character doing to "perform faggotry" and how is it in a way that no other actor, except a gay actor, could do?

Maybe there is an answer, but as a gay man myself, I have no idea how to "perform faggotry". Huh?

by Anonymousreply 257February 9, 2023 6:15 AM

I masturbated twice to the thought of being with a certain rugby player this morning. Is that performing faggotry? Haha!

by Anonymousreply 258February 9, 2023 10:53 PM

I'm now just posting these for a giggle, but Drew's review of The Prom:

[quote]Ryan Murphy said I’m going to give the faggoty Broadway lesbians with mommy issues everything they want :')

How is a lesbian "faggoty"??! This is so stupid and hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 259February 10, 2023 3:11 AM

These attention seeking cosplaying girls should get gay bashed and really know what it feels like to be a faggot.

by Anonymousreply 260February 14, 2023 1:02 AM

R260 - this is the built into our heads reality that actual gay guys have that others wouldn’t understand on that level. It’s why you can’t just ‘identify’ as what you want, I don’t think.

by Anonymousreply 261February 14, 2023 9:58 PM

It was on primetime r244. Pay your $1.99 a month, or get the $19.99 yearly price.

by Anonymousreply 262February 14, 2023 11:26 PM

Re: Gaby Dunn, I had to giggle. Just checked in to see what latest bullshit she is up to and first thing I hear is her talking about how sick she has been because she is on Prep now. I mean I know that is something anyone can take but you just KNOW it’s because she’s a “gay man” now and she gets off on saying she takes it. It seems very performative.

Then she was complaining her face is dry because she has been rubbing Rogaine all over it. That made me laugh. Oh, Gaby…

by Anonymousreply 263February 15, 2023 8:37 PM

[quote] One girl was complaing [sic] about the lack of an outdoor smoking patio.

I wouldn't worry about a thing a trashy person like this would say.

by Anonymousreply 264February 18, 2023 4:47 AM

^I agree, that person does sound pretty trashy.

It reminds me of a few years back in my hometown, when we had a Hi-NRG club called La La Land that was for gay men. It was always known for being a gay club, and was where we would all migrate on the weekends, later on in the evening after going to the more "poppy" gay club. Then, all of a sudden, the owners started saying that actually it was a club "for everyone", I guess because they wanted more money? And the music was stuff that could attract all sorts. I turned up one night and there were all these straight girls there, sneering at men who were kissing and saying: "Ew, that's so gay!" It was the last time I went there, and I think a lot of the gay men followed suit.

I've never understood this notion than women are more pro-gay than men, because so much of the sneering I've seen comes from women. Anyway, club shut down not long after, so I guess it was a bad business decision on part of the owner.

by Anonymousreply 265February 19, 2023 1:48 AM

Only a couple of moths later and the two hosts in the OP are now referring to themselves as ‘dykes’? Which is it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266February 20, 2023 10:06 PM

When bisexuals came along and decided to redefine gay and homosexual to include themselve which gave rise to trans/queer+ identities is why we’ve ended up in this mess,

Now being gay is a choice again and anyone and everyone who isn’t actually gay can call themselves gay and use every homophobic slur under the sun.

This is why the B needs to be dropped along with TQ lunatics as well.

by Anonymousreply 267February 21, 2023 1:38 AM

It’s funny because the B’s I see doing this complain about bi-erasure and biphobia, but then seem to be loathe to call themselves bisexual, which is surely a form of bi-erasure and internalised bi-phobia? Be proud to be Bi! I support you. No need to take other people’s sexualities.

That CEO of Autostraddle is a female bisexual who talks about enjoying having sex with men, but ‘identifies’ as a lesbian, I guess because she has chosen to stick with women now? But then she gets all confused and offended when a straight character on a television show she likes says she isn’t attracted to vagina. “You can’t know that without trying!” She says. “If someone is giving you oral you don’t know the difference, you can’t see them!” she claims.

She’s confused of course, because she doesn’t understand exclusive one-sex attraction (ie, straight, gay or lesbian) at the cellular level. It’s a choice to her to be a lesbian, so she thinks that’s how it works.

No wonder everyone’s confused!

by Anonymousreply 268February 21, 2023 1:46 AM

r263 Lol, why would she need to take prep of she is scissoring with her 'bf' - oh wait, her shitty movie is actually her fantasy; she wants to get knocked up by a 'gay' man. This is why I side eye 'queer' girls now, they are just fetishistic straight girls who all secretly want gay men.

by Anonymousreply 269February 21, 2023 7:35 AM

Oh god, that movie sounds so terrible, R269! It’s on YouTube, but I cannot bring myself to watch it. Such a ridiculous fantasy that would not happen, no matter how much she wants it to.

She wants to make it into a full length movie, apparently!

Yeah the Prep thing is so transparent and ridiculous. She’s JUST like us, guys!

by Anonymousreply 270February 21, 2023 9:28 AM

The hall monitor R68 found the thread. Why is it always wrong what heconcludes? (And I'm not OP.) Worse than the calling-everyone-Boris troll.

by Anonymousreply 271February 21, 2023 10:45 AM

I think that poster is one who doesn’t use the ignore feature properly too, as I’m not sure what help I need. I admit, I joke around a bit, but hey, you gotta get some joy in life.

by Anonymousreply 272February 21, 2023 9:46 PM

Keep going. I've been enjoying the continuing story of Gaby and Drew's Wild & Wacky (& Faggoty!) Adventures.

by Anonymousreply 273February 22, 2023 5:38 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 274February 22, 2023 7:06 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 275February 22, 2023 7:12 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 276February 22, 2023 7:14 AM

r251

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277February 22, 2023 7:20 AM

R277 what do you want to say? Maybe "Everyone who doesn't want straight females to refer to themselves or others as faggot is literally Hitler!"? Such nuance!

by Anonymousreply 278February 22, 2023 8:41 AM

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about OP.

Kaitlan Collins

by Anonymousreply 279February 22, 2023 8:57 AM

R273 - I love you and think we should write a TV show called Gaby and Drew's Wild & Wacky (& Faggoty!) Adventures together. Haha!

Will keep my eyes open. I still laugh thinking of Gaby weeping on some podcast about how UNFAIR it is that gay people can use ‘faggot’ and ‘dyke’ but they tell her she can’t. “They’re not SEEING me!” she predictably moaned.

Drew is on TikTok and he KNOWS he looks so hot that he wants to get canceled on TikTok just so everyone can see how hot he is. His plan for being canceled is to make the following statements:

- WLW is transphobic, - ‘Sapphic’ is stupid, and - People should use ‘lesbian’ and ‘queer’ interchangeably and wherever they want, depending on how they feel, because anyone who knows history knows that the term ‘lesbian’ has always included many genders.

He needs everyone to SEE him too, haha! He’s so thirsty for being controversial and canceled!

by Anonymousreply 280February 22, 2023 9:20 PM

[quote]I still laugh thinking of Gaby weeping on some podcast about how UNFAIR it is that gay people can use ‘faggot’ and ‘dyke’ but they tell her she can’t. “They’re not SEEING me!” she predictably moaned.

Link, please and thank you! I need a good laugh this morning.

by Anonymousreply 281February 23, 2023 5:20 PM

You doing ok, R281? Sorry if things are a bit difficult! I'll see if I can find it again; I listened to quite a few of them over the past few months. I do remember it was a real word salad she came out with, and clearly couldn't defend her point, so it became all about people not "seeing" her, haha.

I mean, she's openly admitted that she might one day decide to be a girl again, maybe even get breast implants. This is not a genuine person, but with her platform, we're meant to be ok with her going around talking about being a gay man and gay men's issues, until what? She gets bored? If she becomes a representative of gay men in some way, we really will have entered la la land.

by Anonymousreply 282February 23, 2023 6:30 PM

Oh, R281, I just realised, it's the monologue I transcribed at R128. You'll see how rambling and "word salady" she is, haha!

by Anonymousreply 283February 23, 2023 6:37 PM

The use of this word or 'dyke' has got to relate to them realising they are not actually gay. The profiles of people like Drew above state simply: "I am gay", like he is trying to will it into existence or something. They're all overcompensating by using slurs all the time, and Drew states that "faggots and dykes are the same" 'cause I guess he wants to blur lines and centre himself?

by Anonymousreply 284March 3, 2023 8:35 PM

More movie reviews from our Drew:

CASSANDRO: A lovely tribute to the strength of faggotry.

ELVIS: Do we think this felt autobiographical for Baz Luhrmann as a straight man raised on faggotry who has spent his career bringing faggotry to straight audiences?

THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS: Also why was everyone who worked for Charlize a faggot? That's not a complaint just an observation.

FEMME FATALE: I liked when Antonio was being faggy.

LAW OF DESIRE: Pedro Almodóvar makes me a worse person, a better artist, and a better faggot. Grateful every time.

THE LEGEND OF BILLIE JEAN: You say compulsory straight love interest, I say trans faggot.

MAKING LOVE: Love means sometimes having to say you're faggy.

by Anonymousreply 285March 3, 2023 10:30 PM

In the men's therapy group I attend, the therapist said "We gay men have benefitted from the work of black trans women. How can we as gay men use our privilege to make gay spaces more welcoming to those who have typically felt excluded from them?". I was screaming in my head.

by Anonymousreply 286March 3, 2023 10:59 PM

So, it's a therapy group for gay men that is required to open itself up to people who aren't gay men? I don't understand this, and don't get me wrong, I'm not against people opening up their groups to more people if that's what they want, but that person sounds like they're saying it's something that is the only right thing to do. I don't understand. I imagine the therapy group works in its particular way due to everyone being gay men, ie due to being exclusive to some extent.

Did anyone say anything?

by Anonymousreply 287March 3, 2023 11:05 PM

R287, no, the comment wasn't about opening the group up to trans people, it was about gay spaces like gay bars and things like that. I was pissed when the black trans women thing came up. It really irritates me that perfectly educated people (who should no better) keep spreading the lie that Marsha Johnson threw the first brick at Stonewall.

by Anonymousreply 288March 3, 2023 11:38 PM

Ahh, I see what you mean, R288. What's funny about that is that I bet there aren't many gay men who haven't felt excluded from gay spaces at some point in their lives. It's hardly like we all go into a group of gay men and everytime it's a giant love fest.

by Anonymousreply 289March 3, 2023 11:40 PM

R289, exactly. I think we tend to be more "exlcusionary" due to how relatively small our community is.

by Anonymousreply 290March 4, 2023 12:18 AM

It should be said that the third person in the OP's post, Christina, while maybe a bit quieter in her craziness, is also pretty hilariously WTF too. From a recent article on that site:

[quote]"Christina is, energetically, equal parts over-the-top gay man and elder straight woman.”

She might as well say: 'Gay man' is SUCH a fun costume to put on!

by Anonymousreply 291March 4, 2023 4:58 AM

The latest in their wacky and faggoty tales:

The grift is working well for Gaby. She started recently that men should give her clothes to help her transformation into a boy - well, American Eagle just sent her a whole heap of men’s clothes. Isn’t she fairly financially successful? She can’t buy a couple of t-shirts and a pair of trousers?

Drew, on the other hand, has set up a go fund me. He wants you to donate to help him with post-production costs of his film that he directed, which, as far as I can tell, was written as an excuse for him to get his ass eaten out on camera?

by Anonymousreply 292March 10, 2023 3:06 AM

You're all fags.

by Anonymousreply 293March 10, 2023 6:29 AM

Yes, but none of these girls are.

by Anonymousreply 294March 10, 2023 7:40 AM

Perfect, R294!

by Anonymousreply 295March 10, 2023 11:03 AM

Before I stopped listening to the ridiculous recap podcast from this group of people, I do remember there was an episode where Drew, and two bisexual women - who spent a lot of time talking about having and enjoying sex with men, kept starting sentences with "as a lesbian..." I remember thinking that if someone pointed out the fact that they are NOT lesbians, they'd probably be considered the worst thing ever. It really does seem like it's all a dress-up box for these people. And I still do not understand the argument that "dykes and faggots are the same!"

I feel like these people would've been completely laughed at not that long ago. Funny times we're living in!

by Anonymousreply 296March 10, 2023 7:47 PM

Why does Drew hate Lukas Dhont so much?

by Anonymousreply 297March 14, 2023 3:11 AM

Gaby is now running a workshop where you can pay $150 and share your ideas with her and she will help "shape" them. That sounds dodgy, I'm not sure I would trust her with any ideas for a movie or tv show or novel.

by Anonymousreply 298March 19, 2023 7:57 PM

Well, it’s been a hot minute, but our Gabs is back, living her fabulously faggoty life to the full, including posting her Grindr messages for all to see.

She also attended her friend’s hens party and captioned the photo:

“Lived my dream of being the one gay guy at the bachelorette weekend…”

Because as us gay guys all know, this is a very common dream of ours. Um… huh?!

I’ve been in that situation a couple of times. It’s only ever been about celebrating my friend, I’ve never really had a fantasy of doing it. What exactly IS this fantasy? To have the groom’s mother confused by your presence and vaguely hostile to you? Or the people working at the events openly laughing at you being there (both of which have happened in my experience)?

Gaby is so weird.

by Anonymousreply 299April 3, 2023 8:07 PM

Why you shouldn't trust bi girls.....yikes.

by Anonymousreply 300April 4, 2023 4:34 AM

[quote]Why you shouldn't trust bi girls

She’s so self-centred I don’t think she has any empathy for others or the ability to imagine people different to her. She was outraged awhile ago over gay people saying being gay wasn’t a choice because she thinks there’s nothing wrong with it being a choice. She couldn’t understand that it’s literally not a choice for gay men to be gay and this isn’t us being offensive about choice, it’s just the way it is.

But because she can choose she thinks everyone else can and if they can’t it’s somehow offensive to her.

We’ve very quickly fallen a long way from “Born This Way” it seems…

by Anonymousreply 301April 5, 2023 8:11 PM

r301 Which again is hysterical as she would lose her mind at anyone vaguely throwing shade at her being a bi chick when she used to date tall, skinny, white, straight guy after straight guy. So why did we have to 'believe' and 'validate' her 'lived experience' then to now believe that she is suddenly a gay man? Bitch is insane.

by Anonymousreply 302April 5, 2023 8:36 PM

[quote]Bitch is insane.

💯

And all those people falling over themselves to validate her - it’s so odd!

I just keep hearing the tone of her voice in the OP interview where she whines “they’re not seeing ME!” That’s all it is worth her - ME! ME! ME!

by Anonymousreply 303April 5, 2023 8:59 PM

[quote]So why did we have to 'believe' and 'validate' her 'lived experience' then to now believe that she is suddenly a gay man?

Don’t forget, she dated a bi guy and they did ‘faggoty’ things together. That’s all it takes for a girl to become a gay man, apparently?

by Anonymousreply 304April 5, 2023 9:02 PM

"We're faggots together," giggles straight boy to his "good buddy" while guzzling gay-hating Budweiser beer. And then they both grope each other and giggle some more.

SICK

by Anonymousreply 305April 5, 2023 9:02 PM

Do you think these kids will later be embarrassed by their youthful excesses? I thank God I came of age before every stupid thing I did or said as a twentysomething would live forever on the internet. But maybe kids today won’t care.

by Anonymousreply 306April 5, 2023 10:23 PM

No, they are incapable of it. they just move onto their next identity grift.

by Anonymousreply 307April 6, 2023 4:25 AM

Good question R306 - I can see the twenty-somethings calming down somewhat. We all did, after all, didn’t we?

But some of these people are in their 30s, even 40s. I think those are more the “me me me!” ones who will just keep changing things up for attention.

I think the younger ones are probably more genuinely wanting to be good people/do the right thing somehow and are just a bit too bolshi about it due to youth.

I’m hoping, anyway…

But I also see R307’s point being very valid too.

by Anonymousreply 308April 6, 2023 4:32 AM

Drew wrote a review of Derek Jarman’s The Garden and didn’t once use the word ‘faggot’!! Growth?

(Then again, the review was only a line or two.)

by Anonymousreply 309April 6, 2023 7:11 PM

[quote]Do you think these kids will later be embarrassed by their youthful excesses? I thank God I came of age before every stupid thing I did or said as a twentysomething would live forever on the internet. But maybe kids today won’t care.

I think that's going to depend on whether they hit reality hard and learn to adapt, or manage to live in a Safe Spaces bubble where their every idea is validated no matter how stupid.

by Anonymousreply 310April 9, 2023 12:15 AM

Listening to some of the parents at work, I do actually worry about their children’s ability to live healthy, happy lives as adults (as much as any of us can). The coddling is out of this world; some of these parents are trying to control every aspect of their children’s’ lives, so that those children don’t experience one moment of discomfort, well into their child’s 20s.

And of course, it doesn’t work. Real life happens, so the parents are anxiety ridden every day about things their children are dealing with.

So how well they adapt, who knows? They may eventually, with any luck, but it’s quite amazing to hear some of these parents talking.

by Anonymousreply 311April 9, 2023 12:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!