Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Unusual Gift Ideas?

What are some of your gift ideas for the holidays this year?

by Anonymousreply 65December 2, 2022 5:09 PM

Not unusual -just less stressful (and likely cheaper): I'm going to bake for people. Cookies, cakes, pies. Just for close friends. I have sworn off Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and all the rest this year.

by Anonymousreply 1November 24, 2022 12:06 AM

Surprise anal.

by Anonymousreply 2November 24, 2022 12:14 AM

Kitchen Fire Extinguisher.

Someone gave me one years ago as a house warming gift and I thought it was a great gift.

by Anonymousreply 3November 24, 2022 12:15 AM

A nutcracker.

To crack your nuts.

by Anonymousreply 4November 24, 2022 12:17 AM

The ball dildo, of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 24, 2022 12:18 AM

Blowjobs for everyone!

by Anonymousreply 6November 24, 2022 12:25 AM

Gloves. Leather gloves in x large sizes because tight gloves are no good.

by Anonymousreply 7November 24, 2022 1:27 AM

A DL classic from years ago...

Diabetic Socks!

by Anonymousreply 8November 24, 2022 1:42 AM

I went for practical stuff that everyone can use but often won't buy for themselves.

My traveling friends will receive a foldable multi-pocket beach tote or packing cubes and a multi-plug extension cord for overseas use with USB ports. My other friends will receive a car kit with a mini-umbrella, multi-tool and auto paperwork folder to stick in the glove compartment.

I hope they will find them useful and worthwhile gifts.

by Anonymousreply 9November 24, 2022 1:44 AM

I give out my pubes in a locket.

by Anonymousreply 10November 24, 2022 1:49 AM

I'm giving everyone a Kimberly Gargoyle bobble-head doll, inspired by her memorable appearance at the 2020 RNC. My liberal friends will love it - my older perverted conservative friends will fantasize about her.

by Anonymousreply 11November 24, 2022 1:49 AM

Do you have link for that car kit gift R9? Place to buy?

by Anonymousreply 12November 24, 2022 1:49 AM

A fire extinguisher is nice to have but they "expire" after a year or so.

by Anonymousreply 13November 24, 2022 1:57 AM

I'm buying everyone one of these.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 24, 2022 2:08 AM

I only buy for myself and I just bought my gifts.

by Anonymousreply 15November 24, 2022 2:14 AM

[quote]A fire extinguisher is nice to have but they "expire" after a year or so.

Many things 'expire' after a year. The kitchen fire extinguisher is still a great idea for a gift.

by Anonymousreply 16November 24, 2022 2:17 AM

The Magic 8 Ball - it's a classic.

by Anonymousreply 17November 24, 2022 2:26 AM

A yuzu tree. I had to order it on line and store it at a friend's. But I've been with my partner a long time and I'm out of ideas. I've already done the more obvious citrus fruit.

by Anonymousreply 18November 24, 2022 2:31 AM

Self defense tools. Bling Sting pepper spray, hooray!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 24, 2022 2:41 AM

R14 I just love Bambi’s revenge. Now that’s a funny snow globe.

by Anonymousreply 20November 24, 2022 3:30 AM

[quote]auto paperwork folder to stick in the glove compartment.

Good idea. I love mine.

by Anonymousreply 21November 24, 2022 4:22 AM

R9 / R21 I'm looking for that auto paperwork folder but can't find it. Sounds like a great gift.

by Anonymousreply 22November 24, 2022 4:35 AM

r22

Amazon, search "Car registration and insurance holder"

by Anonymousreply 23November 24, 2022 4:38 AM

Has anyone tried the Balldo? I would think it could hurt?

by Anonymousreply 24November 24, 2022 11:25 AM

I'm giving everyone the Kimberly Gargoyle bobble-head 'deluxe'. You prop it on the dashboard, facing you. If you stop short for some reason, her mouth opens and a white creamy substance splatters you in your face. I will leave it to your imagination to guess who that white jizz belonged to at one time.

by Anonymousreply 25November 24, 2022 4:33 PM

R25 is Gavin Newsome!

by Anonymousreply 26November 24, 2022 4:35 PM

R12, I found the individual items and put together the car kits myself.

by Anonymousreply 27November 25, 2022 12:04 AM

Shit sprays

by Anonymousreply 28November 25, 2022 12:14 AM

6 foot long phone cords.

I gave them out several years back and everyone loved them. Folks have lost them or frayed them so it’s redoing that idea again.

by Anonymousreply 29November 25, 2022 12:24 AM

^^Hi 1977.

by Anonymousreply 30November 25, 2022 12:29 AM

I’m giving out quills and ink!

by Anonymousreply 31November 25, 2022 12:43 AM

Lume for females

by Anonymousreply 32November 25, 2022 12:44 AM

R30 - sorry. Charger cords for iPhones. Everyone wants to plug in over there but still use the iPhone while charging.

by Anonymousreply 33November 25, 2022 2:00 AM

I'm giving the Ivanka Bobblehead for gifts. Perfect for the dash board. When the car stops short, she starts to sing "My Heart Belongs To Daddy".

by Anonymousreply 34November 25, 2022 3:15 AM

hi, 1977 r33. 0/10.

by Anonymousreply 35November 25, 2022 11:33 AM

Support print. Give a subscription to a magazine appropriate to their interests. Or just fall back on the New Yorker. Everybody likes the cartoons.

by Anonymousreply 36November 25, 2022 12:46 PM

Support print ? Buy magazine subscriptions ? In 2022-23 ?

That's like suggesting we buy transistor radios and cassette players for Christmas gifts.

by Anonymousreply 37November 25, 2022 6:17 PM

Lovesense

by Anonymousreply 38November 26, 2022 12:01 AM

R36 Great idea. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 39November 26, 2022 11:22 PM

R36 and r39 same fossil.

by Anonymousreply 40November 26, 2022 11:51 PM

R40 Nope. I'm not R36. I'm simply a person who enjoys print. I'm curious why you dislike the printed page enough to make nasty comments...

by Anonymousreply 41November 27, 2022 1:59 AM

[quote] Kitchen Fire Extinguisher.Someone gave me one years ago as a house warming gift and I thought it was a great gift.

I guess this means you don't want the recipient to die in a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 42November 27, 2022 2:22 AM

[quote]Surprise anal.

The gift that keeps on giving.

by Anonymousreply 43November 27, 2022 2:22 AM

Here you go, OP:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 29, 2022 3:06 AM

Gift cards

by Anonymousreply 45November 29, 2022 3:09 AM

Travel Johns. Absorbent pouchs turn urine into gel instantly while destroying bacteria and odor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 29, 2022 4:10 AM

They also make Travel Janes. Now, everytime I get a smile from another car, I'll think twice.

by Anonymousreply 47November 29, 2022 4:12 AM

Always a good gift.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 29, 2022 5:16 AM

My suggestions pertain to OLD PEOPLE, especially those on a tight budget.

NO THROWS! Doesn't matter how soft, it's acryllic and it's total shit and they already have six of them they never used.

Elderly people without internet appreciate the hell out of postage stamps since they aren't paying their bills online.

AA and AAA batteries- ask them if they want you to put the batteries in the remote or whatever while you're there.

Pacific Tomato Bisque or Tomato Red Pepper Soup-- Campbell's tomato soup is inedible, but they like that creamy tomato kind in the carton, they can take what they want and cap it and put it back in the refrigerator.

A heating pad with a STAY ON option, not Auto-Shutoff only. They all have auto-shutoff, but some of the nicer Sunbeam ones have Stay-On, and it's an invaluable feature, around $40-$50 for the XL Sunbeam one at Walgreens or CVS. Make sure it has Stay-on or it isn't worth a damn.

Corn puffs-- it's kind of like popcorn, but easier

Cookies, Hostess Donettes

by Anonymousreply 49November 29, 2022 9:18 PM

For old people on a tight budget, cont.

Laundry pods are easier for them than a jug of detergent if they have arthritic shoulders, etc. Those Gain Flings are easy, cheap, and they make the house smell "nice." A bag of those suckers is appreciated.

If you're at their house, it's thoughtful to ask if you can run their garbage out to the dumpster before you leave.

If they have pets, a proper crock water bowl will be greatly appreciated by the dog or cat, so they aren't drinking out of an old Can't Believe It's Not Butter container.

by Anonymousreply 50November 29, 2022 9:24 PM

Clone-A-Willy, a make-your-own-dildo kit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 29, 2022 10:56 PM

You'll be the life of the party if you gift the following:

-A talking bathroom scale. Let it embarrass you into weight loss!

-A donation to the Human Fund

-A food scale

-A NOOM membership/free trial

-Wax melts and warmer in heinous scents lke maple syrup blueberry in extra strength for the office to enjoy!

-Fish of the month club

by Anonymousreply 52November 29, 2022 11:00 PM

r49 easy grips for opening jars is a good one too. manual rather than the battery operated ones.

rechargeable motion detect nightlights (they detach from the base to be used like flashlights.)

electric egg boilers or pint size griddles.

extended reach tools; from grabbers to telescopic magnet rods.

for the health impaired crowd, I've created hospital-to-go totes... inexpensive items that present no big loss if lost or thrown away; which usually do include a throw blanket, a more fashionable and practical hospital care gown (really, should look for them instead of wearable blankets or nightshirts/nightgowns, etc.) There are even a few two piece pajama models or there's tearaway stripper gear.), better non slip socks or slippers, washable clothing labels, activity books, erasable pens, eye mask, noise-reduction earmuffs, binders for medical info/insurance/contacts, travel hygiene kits & similar accessories, etc.

by Anonymousreply 53November 29, 2022 11:26 PM

For old peeps, a calendar with important dates marked (kids, grandkids and great grandkids birthdays, graduation and confirmation dates, anniversaries, etc.) and a box of multipurpose greeting cards, a roll of forever stamps. My 85 year old parents still send a card with a check and this makes it easier.

by Anonymousreply 54November 29, 2022 11:45 PM

I was startled at the response to one of the items in my hostess gift for Thanksgiving. Heavy duty oven mitts with silicone on the parts that get hot. They were kind of the hit of the evening as one of her oven mitts, coincidentally, had caught on fire a little bit before I got there.

by Anonymousreply 55November 29, 2022 11:49 PM

cologne deodorant sticks - good for those guys that use too much or don't like wearing cologne. Could toss in small ball funk powder too.

multitools are often a standard for guy gifts but I've found quite a few lasses enjoy the hatchet/hammerr multitools for their vehicles (particularly as they skirt around the laws against self defense gear while also having other uses)

universal socket wrench with power drill adapter

mermaid tail throw blanket

electric foot warmer for her, foot spa for him

lumbar support pillow for office chair

pregnancy pillows (better than the standard body pillows)

weighted blankets

adaptive fitness/sex pillows

blooming tea & clear teapots

kitchen torch

bbq grill kit aprons/cases (I've gotten this even for people without the space to bbq because it's an affordable way to get metal kitchen utensils and the pockets are usually durable enough to hold hand/crafting tools. So, it's a twofer.)

grow lights (it's not just for druggies, anymore!)

large spices of the kitchen basics or of healthier specialty goods (sugar/flour substitutes, reduced sodium salts, etc) for my health-minded/impaired financially challenged mates

key finders

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 30, 2022 12:34 AM

^ oh, and massage rollers or spiky balls. (which can be good for exercise, too.)

by Anonymousreply 57November 30, 2022 12:38 AM

R56, Those pregnancy pillows are good for people with rheumatoid arthritis.

by Anonymousreply 58November 30, 2022 12:51 AM

wall tapestries are usually affordable and might be a good gift for the teen on the verge of moving out or heading to college, or just that friend or onlyfans whore with ghastly walls

by Anonymousreply 59November 30, 2022 12:51 AM

[quote] AA and AAA batteries- ask them if they want you to put the batteries in the remote or whatever while you're there.

This is a good idea. Except I'd get the Eneloop rechargeable batteries (the black ones would be deluxe) with the wall charger. I bought those (AA and AAA) for myself a while back.

by Anonymousreply 60November 30, 2022 1:00 AM

r37 because buying a kindle/fire tablet plus paying for a gift membership for three months to a year is rather expensive to most people.

by Anonymousreply 61November 30, 2022 1:01 AM

Speaking of grabbers and things for old people, I have a dowel rod with a cup hook screwed into one end. I keep it in the kitchen on 3M hook and use to close the blinds behind my kitchen sink (they're far away) and to snag things that fall behind the washing machine or get all the way under the bed. All kinds of stuff. It's simple but I'd be lost without it, cost like $2 and I've used it every day for 15 years.

Not a show-stopping gift, I know, but invaluable!

by Anonymousreply 62November 30, 2022 1:30 AM

r62 Yes, there's a wide range of affordable pragmatic items that could be quite appreciated as many people (not just the elders) forget or aren't aware they exist and many of the in-person shops, the various dollar tree knick-knack shops,tend to focus on young families more and more.

stronger (4.0, 5.0 or sometimes higher) reading glasses and in a pack of 4 or five and oversized frames.

magnifying squares - I usually buy the bare bones "card" squares and use a hole-punch - as they're cheaper in multi-packs and that way I buy several different magnifications at a cheap cost. just add to a pack of carabiner clips and it's good to go.

the extended reach shoehorns and toenail clippers can be awkward to use but some still appreciate them, anyway.

instant 3-in-1 coffee, cocoa, or tea packs - I usually buy korean, vietnamese and japanese ones that aren't found locally - if one wanted to make it "gift" worthy, then look at the travel kettles/mugs - there's a couple that are travel mug shaped (water boilers not just warmers) - both usb or car lighter options. There are a few coolers/fridges as well but most of those require beverages already being cold to keep them cool. Though there small manual ice shavers/crushers for those that only have access to regular cubes at work/etc

it's much easier to find the sugar-free/low sugar/low sodium candies (most of the name brands candies, chocolates and sports drinks do have options but they can be hard to find anywhere but online) and other products online (as well as ingredients as I mentioned before) in bulk sizes at affordable prices. Frankly, also just easy to find family size items in general, especially healthier kids cereals. Or ethnic snacks, like seaweed (know any pregnant women? seaweed is a great treat for prenatal development.) -- DIY a gift basket.

fruit/vegetable/herd/flower seeds - etsy is one of the better resources.

also to look for on etsy for those looking DIY a gift or decorations - fabric or leather SCRAPS. necessity is the mother invention and all that. While it's odds and ends of cuts, you can find odds and ends of higher quality material and it doesn't take much equipment or know how to make simple gifts... you can find a world of instructions and videos out there -- but if you're lacking skills, just stick to bare simple -- maybe you don't want to do much more than cut and glue to something premade (given shipping time) but leather craft tool kits (definitely should include a cutter - looks like a circular pizza knife with a guard) are affordable for those just starting out and don't need to be fancy or all that high of quality, some come with thread and rivets, too!

by Anonymousreply 63December 2, 2022 4:47 PM

^ oh, and of course, there's a wide range of 3m products to combine with discount items to make it seem more 'gift' like.

by Anonymousreply 64December 2, 2022 4:52 PM

a long stick (not a grabber) to scratch your ass with.

by Anonymousreply 65December 2, 2022 5:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!