Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you ever been to a Christmas market?

I sent to one in German and it was wonderful. Walking around the craft stalls while drinking hot mulled wine is the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 17, 2022 8:18 PM

New York City has a few that try to emulate the German ones, but don’t think they are so big

by Anonymousreply 1November 14, 2022 11:44 PM

Yes OP walked around the Christmas Market in Hamberg years ago. As I come from Downunder found it fabulous and strange at the same time. Loved the atmosphere, but it's still a summer Xmas for me, it's what we get used to.

by Anonymousreply 2November 15, 2022 12:00 AM

Strasbourg would be nice.

by Anonymousreply 3November 15, 2022 12:05 AM

No I haven't ever been to one. I'd love to go though. I always watch videos about Christmas markets and Christmas customs around the world.

by Anonymousreply 4November 15, 2022 12:07 AM

Shopping while drinking, OP.

Your best.

Indeed.

by Anonymousreply 5November 15, 2022 12:09 AM

What impressed you the most about it, OP? Have you been to other countries to experience other Christmas celebrations or market?

by Anonymousreply 6November 15, 2022 12:10 AM

Too many beheadings.

by Anonymousreply 7November 15, 2022 12:15 AM

Have NOT attended a German Christmas Market, but I have attended and enjoyed the Nuremberg Germany “SPARGLEFEST” ( asparagus festival). It was in the town square, set up with booths and “performance” areas like a Xmas market. Totally enjoyed celebrating the harvest of thousands of green and white anthropomorphic vegetable penises.

by Anonymousreply 8November 15, 2022 12:23 AM

r6 I've been to the Nuremberg Christkindlesmarkt is one of the oldest and most famous Christmas Markets in the world. In the wooden booths of “the little city of wood and cloth” one finds traditional, often handmade Christmas decorations and sweet treats such as gingerbread and Spekulatius almond cookies.

It was snowing when I was there and there was a band and dancers performing. Everyone was having such a good time. And, the sausages were to die for.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 15, 2022 12:33 AM

Thank you R9 (OP).

by Anonymousreply 10November 15, 2022 12:37 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 15, 2022 12:42 AM

No Germany trips here, but I'll bet their Christmas Markets are a whole lot better than Bryant Park in NYC. Uncomfortably crowded, mostly overpriced junk.

by Anonymousreply 12November 15, 2022 12:56 AM

DC has or had (I don't know anymore) a small one near the courthouse. It has some nice stalls and entertainment. Foot of the Portrait Gallery. But we have so many things like this both indoors (in museums and galleries, eg) and outdoors the Christmas market just seems superfluous. Some of the best Christmas shopping is in museums. One of my favorites is the Building Museum with one of the best gift shops.

by Anonymousreply 13November 15, 2022 12:57 AM

People do walking videos of xmas markets. Here is the one in London this year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 15, 2022 1:11 AM

Went to the Strasbourg one in 2018. I really enjoyed it, and its a quick trip from Paris. Charming old city.

by Anonymousreply 15November 15, 2022 3:18 AM

R14, it seems weirdly warm in London in that video

by Anonymousreply 16November 15, 2022 1:27 PM

Yes, German Christmas Markets are the best.

by Anonymousreply 17November 15, 2022 1:40 PM

Yes! Berlin, Munich, Basel, Nuremberg, Frankfurt and then the various North American ones mentioned in the article. Basel and the big Berlin one were my faves. Nuremberg's was just too huge!

by Anonymousreply 18November 15, 2022 2:00 PM

German Christmas Markets are wonderful, and I hope Americans don’t start appropriating them into cheap, tacky, obnoxious, commercialized, Disney-fied party zones.

by Anonymousreply 19November 15, 2022 2:15 PM

I’ve only been to US and UK versions and found them to be mostly overpriced crap.

by Anonymousreply 20November 15, 2022 2:26 PM

There used to be a Christmas market in the hall in grand central near the main (42nd street) entrance and I loved that. It was lots of craftspeople but the goods tended to be quite pricy. It was for very select customers.

I don’t know if it’s still running. I’m not so sure if I’m thrilled about milling around in the very crowded hall if it is. Well, I’ll see after thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 21November 15, 2022 3:11 PM

The German ones are the real deal, although the French markets can be very nice, too.

They are opening in just a few days here in Germany, looking forward to buying some tchotchkes one doesn't need.

by Anonymousreply 22November 15, 2022 3:16 PM

That London market at r14 looks like food and cheap tourist crap you could find in any souvenir shop in Piccadilly. I haven't been in a German market for 20 years, but it seems the ornaments and toys were much nicer and hand-crafted. Probably, all changed in 20 years. Am I right, R22, r17, r18, r19?

by Anonymousreply 23November 15, 2022 4:33 PM

Can you buy the Gluhwein mugs from Christmas Markets in the US or UK?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 15, 2022 4:35 PM

Does anybody collect those mugs? They look adorable.

by Anonymousreply 25November 15, 2022 4:36 PM

We have about 8 of the mugs. Each market in Germany does their own each year.

by Anonymousreply 26November 15, 2022 4:50 PM

^I imagine most of the markets do actually.

by Anonymousreply 27November 15, 2022 4:50 PM

Does everyone put something different in the cups or is it all basically the same Glögg?.

by Anonymousreply 28November 15, 2022 4:53 PM

R23 yes, the markets here sell mostly artisan stuff. Ornaments carved out of wood, imperfect (and therefore charming!) glass figurines, handmade bags, seasonal candles, etc.

Combine that with Glühwein, Bratwurst and other foods and beverage stands, and you have a lovely atmosphere.

I usually only attend two or three markets a year. Once you've visited a few, you're good until next year.

by Anonymousreply 29November 15, 2022 5:12 PM

OMG mugs for each year? LOL!

by Anonymousreply 30November 15, 2022 5:29 PM

What are the entrance fees? Do most of the vendors take dollars? Is there a dress code, will I look out of place in sneakers and puffy coat?

by Anonymousreply 31November 15, 2022 5:34 PM

Well, now I want to go to an Asparagus Festival.

by Anonymousreply 32November 15, 2022 5:47 PM

R31 most markets have no entrance fees, as they are situated in public squares.

No, vendors will not take dollars; nobody in Euro-countries wants to be paid in dollars. You pay in Euros.

No dress code: Just be sure you are warm, and wear something thicker than sneakers, as your feet will get cold real quick!

by Anonymousreply 33November 15, 2022 5:56 PM

Oh! And make sure you carry CASH on you. Euros, that is.

Most vendors, as they are outside in a little stall, do not have credit/debit card terminals.

by Anonymousreply 34November 15, 2022 5:59 PM

Yeah, vendors sell interesting and sometimes unique gifts at the stalls. Worth a look.

by Anonymousreply 35November 15, 2022 6:25 PM

This is the fair I went to. Fabulous. Did all my Christmas shopping there and everyone loved the artisan talents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 16, 2022 9:55 PM

It's too early for Christmas - it's not even Thanksgiving yet.

by Anonymousreply 37November 16, 2022 10:01 PM

Prague has a charming Christmas Market in the Old Town Square. It's got a lovely atmosphere with wooden stalls erected that house Christmas ornaments, handicrafts, candles, traditional Christmas foods and pastries. You can stroll through the square with a hot cup of mulled wine or hot chocolate under a huge Christmas tree decorated in red and gold but be forewarned that the weather in late November and December is COLD! What's great about visiting the Christmas market in Prague is that the city has so much more to offer than just the market. Prague is stunning. A castle visit its a must and there are great concerts at this time of year, wonderful, cozy bars and restaurants and a gay night life if you like that sort of thing!

by Anonymousreply 38November 16, 2022 10:15 PM

Chicago has a Christkindlemarket. It opens next week. I went once and it was too fucking cold to enjoy it. Lots of German crafts and Christmas ornaments,

by Anonymousreply 39November 16, 2022 10:22 PM

Hate to sound so Scrooge-y but these markets are overcrowded (with selfie-taking instagrammers and families with small annoying children galore), overpriced and the food is mostly ghastly. And many of the trinkets sold there aren't handmade anymore but imported straight from PRC.

by Anonymousreply 40November 16, 2022 10:34 PM

I've been to more than my share as I used to travel most of December, often enough through some prime Xmas market. I'm not a big holiday sentimentalist at all, but neither am I a Scrooge, or so I thought, but there are only so many bright red mugs of mulled wine and Weihnachtspyramiden and fucking rosy cheeked Candy Spelling-esque nutcracker dolls a man can take. I go out of my way to avoid Xmas markets now.

by Anonymousreply 41November 16, 2022 10:34 PM

^ Scrooge trolls have arrived.

by Anonymousreply 42November 16, 2022 11:35 PM

Another Scrooge post. The markets have become very corporate. 90% is made in China crap. I am certain that many markets have the same management with the same stalls and the same merchandise. It is like New York City street fairs that are identical no mater what street they are on. The crowds are awful and the tour groups will trample you without a thought.

Sometimes, it is as if they are are not even trying. In one part of the Munich market there are at least six booths side-by-side, all selling the same creche figures from Italy. The booths were right by Sebastian Wesely, the large creche shop. One might think that one was comparison shopping between booths, but I am certain, no matter what booth, the money all went to Sebastian Wesely.

The mugs are generally a ripoff. Return the mug and get your deposit back. (Yes, you do not have to keep the mug.). Don't buy the decorated Lebkuchen hearts. They look pretty, but taste terrible. Buy a packet of plain Lebkuchen instead.

There are exceptions. Munich has a Medieval Christmas market that is wonderful, small but wonderful. The booths actually have real handmade items. The entertainment is fun: stilt walkers, puppets, etc. On stage, there was a comic magician whose act was built around Medieval torture devices. He was hysterical and an understanding of Germany was not required. This is the one market where the mugs were worth keeping.

Munich also has a Gay Christmas Market. It isn't my thing, but one should go at least once just to experience it.

I thought the Market in Salzburg was much better. Definitely worth a visit.

The best, and the worst markets are in the former East Germany. Dresden is lovely. Leipzig is also nice. In some towns, the Christmas markets can be very tube socks and underwear. They are very much set up for the locals rather than tourists. Of course, the Christmas market of Christmas markets is Seiffen. This is the area where most of the made-in-Germany wooden handwork is made. It isn't just old-fashioned nutcrackers and 11 dot angels. Many of the young people are putting a modern spin on the traditional crafts and doing some really interesting work.

by Anonymousreply 43November 17, 2022 12:19 AM

I dislike them. FAKE FAKE FAKE. I love Carnival in Switzerland and Germany, however. They are fun and can also be deeply weird and authentic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 17, 2022 12:33 AM

The one in Bryant Park is full of crap and someone got shot or knifed in the skating rink several years ago.

by Anonymousreply 45November 17, 2022 12:42 AM

Does Chicago still have that little store in Lincoln Square that sold all kinds of German ornaments?

by Anonymousreply 46November 17, 2022 8:13 PM

It’s a trend now. Avoid it.

by Anonymousreply 47November 17, 2022 8:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!