Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Instant Pot –Risotto

I made the most perfectly cooked shrimp risotto last night using the Instant Pot. I was skeptical at first, but it works beautifully for making risotto.

by Anonymousreply 145November 22, 2022 9:24 PM

Shrimp and prunes?

by Anonymousreply 1November 14, 2022 1:28 PM

Greg, I hear you make a delicious sardine risotto in tomato sauce!

by Anonymousreply 2November 14, 2022 1:29 PM

[bold] GREG'S TRULY PERFECT PRESSURE COOKER RISOTTO with SHRIMP & HERBS [/bold]

[bold] INGREDIENTS [/bold]

4 Tablespoons of unsalted butter, divided

1 small yellow onion, finely diced

2 garlic cloves, finely minced

1 1/2 cups Arborio or Carnaroli rice

2 Tablespoons of dry white wine (I like Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio)

4-1/2 cups homemade chicken stock or you can use "Better Than Bouillon"

Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined (21 to 30)

3/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (3 ounces), plus more for serving

1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (I like to use tarragon and flat-leaf parsley)

------------------

[bold] PROCEDURE [/bold]

1. In a 6-quart pressure cooker, melt 2 Tablespoons of the butter over medium heat.

2. Add the chopped onion and garlic and sauté until soft (you do [bold] not [/bold] want to brown them, just soften them).

3. Add rice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.

4. Add wine and cook until just evaporated – about 30 seconds.

5. Add 3 cups of stock (note: the remaining cup-and-a-half will be added in just a bit). Season with salt and pepper. **Be careful with the salt, especially if you are not using homemade chicken stock. The Parmigiano will also add some saltiness—so exercise caution.

6. Stir the rice and stock just to combine and make sure that none of the rice or onions/garlic are on the side of the pot. Everything should be submerged in the stock.

7. Secure the lid of the pressure cooker. Bring to high pressure and cook for exactly 9 minutes.

8. At the end of 9 minutes, remove from heat and manually release the pressure. Open the lid once you're able to. On an Instant Pot, the float valve (pin) on the lid drops down to let you know that all of the pressure has been released and you can then open the lid.

9. Stir in the shrimp and the remaining 1-1/2 cups of chicken stock and cook on medium (while stirring) until the shrimp are opaque, 3 to 5 minutes.

10. Stir in the grated cheese and remaining 2 Tablespoons of butter. Fold in the herbs and serve immediately.

11. Be sure to serve this in warmed soup plates/bowls and sprinkle with some finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.

This comes out perfectly! Give it a try. You can also make any other type of risotto you like, just by following the steps laid out here. Sometimes instead of shrimp, I add sautéed mushrooms or roasted butternut squash. You can be creative.

by Anonymousreply 3November 14, 2022 1:34 PM

[quote] Greg, I hear you make a delicious sardine risotto in tomato sauce!

I think that must have been a different Greg. I am not a big fan of sardines.

If one does like sardines, this might be good with Marcella's simple marinara sauce (28-ounce can of San Marzano tomatoes; one yellow onion peeled and cut in two; 5 Tablespoons of butter; kosher salt—cooked at a low simmer for 45 minutes.).

by Anonymousreply 4November 14, 2022 1:39 PM

R3

Thanks, Greg. That sounds delicious. Could one substitute sautéed mushrooms for the shrimp? I have two bags of fresh mushrooms.

by Anonymousreply 5November 14, 2022 1:43 PM

R5

Never mind. I just reread your recipe more carefully.

by Anonymousreply 6November 14, 2022 1:45 PM

Hi, R5! Yes— you can make any other type of risotto you like, just by following the steps laid out here. Sometimes instead of shrimp, I add sautéed mushrooms or roasted butternut squash. You can be creative.

When I use mushrooms, I add chopped parsley and beautifully-cut chives at the end. Never cut chives in a random way—just line them all up and cut perfect little rings or you can snip them to your preferred size with everyday kitchen scissors.

by Anonymousreply 7November 14, 2022 1:49 PM

Sounds delish, Greg! Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 8November 14, 2022 1:55 PM

R2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 14, 2022 1:57 PM

I’ve tried making mushroom risotto a few times in the instant pot and can’t seem to get the right flavor. I think I need to experiment with different herbs, but that is a lot of risotto mistakes to eat…..

by Anonymousreply 10November 14, 2022 1:58 PM

R7

Thanks for the additional information.

by Anonymousreply 11November 14, 2022 1:59 PM

I've been thinking about getting an instant pot. I'm glad you posted this.

by Anonymousreply 12November 14, 2022 2:15 PM

Does anyone else have the new-ish Instant Dutch Oven? I'm a kitchen gadget addict and bought one ... today I'm doing five pounds of onions on the slow-cooker setting to caramelize them, but I discovered that the Dutch Oven only has one setting for slow cooking -- no low or high. They're supposed to go for 10 hours on low ... I guess I'll find out how they turn out later today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 14, 2022 2:30 PM

[quote] I've been thinking about getting an instant pot. I'm glad you posted this.

R12, I am not one for kitchen gadgets, but the Instant Pot is really good to have. I use it both as a pressure cooker and as a slow cooker. There are countless on-line recipes and also books that have good recipes for the Instant Pot. I like having it and would encourage you to purchase one.

by Anonymousreply 14November 14, 2022 2:44 PM

I prefer InstaHoes to InstaPots.

by Anonymousreply 15November 14, 2022 2:48 PM

[quote] I’ve tried making mushroom risotto a few times in the instant pot and can’t seem to get the right flavor. I think I need to experiment with different herbs, but that is a lot of risotto mistakes to eat…..

R10, I think if you use a very good homemade chicken stock (even better would be a brown chicken stock—roast the chicken bones and onion/carrot/celery before simmering) and a variety of mushrooms (perhaps some dried ones, as well), and are grating your own Parmigiano-Reggiano, the flavors should be quite nice. And, chives are good at the end.

by Anonymousreply 16November 14, 2022 2:51 PM

I use mine for cooking beans and thawing out stuff. If I need spinach in a pinch, I drop one of those frozen bricks in on high pressure for 1 minute...it's defrosted before it's even up to full steam. Release the steam, squeeze out the water (I use a sieve) and throw it in soups, sauces, pastas, etc.

by Anonymousreply 17November 14, 2022 3:14 PM

Down hawk, we just call that mess "Shrimp & Grits."

by Anonymousreply 18November 14, 2022 3:16 PM

[quote] Down hawk, we just call that mess "Shrimp & Grits."

I make shrimp and grits, too. But this is [bold] RISOTTO [/bold].

Do you see grits here?

This is nothing like shrimp & grits.

by Anonymousreply 19November 14, 2022 3:26 PM

Risotto = Glorified grits necessitating too much work for very little pay out.

by Anonymousreply 20November 14, 2022 3:41 PM

R20, I'm afraid I can't agree with you.

Very simply put, grits are made from corn (it’s basically ground dried corn; a cornmeal porridge), while rice is…well, rice. They are completely different things.

by Anonymousreply 21November 14, 2022 4:10 PM

[quote] Shrimp and prunes?

Is it hard being so stupid? Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 22November 14, 2022 4:50 PM

R3 That is not a risotto.

It is a rice dish. It might be wonderful, who knows, but it is not a risotto.

"Risotto" is a technique in preparing rice.

by Anonymousreply 23November 15, 2022 3:22 AM

Thank you, R23, for your correction.

Mark Bittman insists that it is not necessary to stir in the liquid a little at a time, as is the norm in the traditional preparation of risotto. He says that the key to risotto's creaminess is all about the work that happens [bold] before the liquid is even added [/bold]—the toasting of the rice grains. See below for the recipe he shared in the NYT for porcini risotto cooked in a pressure cooker.

And "Cooks Illustrated" says that a pressure cooker is worth the money, just for the risotto alone.

So, with all due respect, the pressure cooker produces perfectly cooked, creamy risotto. I've made risotto many, many times on the stove, but using a pressure cooker results in superior risotto. And why wouldn't I want that?

[quote] It is a rice dish. It might be wonderful, who knows, but it is not a risotto.

Ah, yes it is. It [bold] is [/bold] wonderful, and it [bold] is [/bold] a risotto.

Do you say the same thing about using a slow cooker to make Coq Au Vin or Bœuf Bourguignon? I prefer to use a Dutch oven but would never criticize someone for using a slow cooker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 15, 2022 2:48 PM

[quote]Mark Bittman insists that it is not necessary to stir in the liquid a little at a time

I would love to hear Mark Bittman go to Lombardia and explain to the Italians that that they've been doing it all wrong.

[quote]Do you say the same thing about using a slow cooker to make Coq Au Vin or Bœuf Bourguignon? I prefer to use a Dutch oven but would never criticize someone for using a slow cooker.

There is are solid, logical reasons why risotto is prepared the way it is. It is not because Italians, you know, just enjoy wasting time in the kitchen.

First of all, starting with the choice of rice: you use types like Arborio, Carnaroli, Vialone Nano and so forth because they are full of starch. And the risotto cooking technique (constant stirring and adding a bit of broth at a time) ensure that the starch in the rice is released.

It is that starch the gives risotto its characteristic creaminess...and no, a pressure cooker cannot achieve that.

As the rice is stirred, friction is created between the grains. Between the grains and the pot and the spoon. This friction slowly sloughs off the outer layer of the rice and that creates the "cream".

Broth is added a little at a time. As the rices dries out more friction is created, more starch is released and more broth can be absorbed.

It is an art in getting it right. I'm not a master risotto maker and I admire those who are. It takes practice.

If you have never tasted a properly prepared risotto, this rice dish made in the pressure cooker (insta pot) will be perfectly fine.

by Anonymousreply 25November 15, 2022 10:33 PM

Sorry should read: "There are solid, logical reasons..."

by Anonymousreply 26November 15, 2022 10:51 PM

Thanks OP, will give this a try!

by Anonymousreply 27November 15, 2022 10:54 PM

[quote]TRULY PERFECT

Jesus. You must be hung like a bull to be this arrogant.

by Anonymousreply 28November 16, 2022 3:36 AM

R23/R25 - Whatever. You bore us.

by Anonymousreply 29November 16, 2022 2:44 PM

[quote] Jesus. You must be hung like a bull to be this arrogant.

I may well be, but my arrogance comes from making and then sharing this amazing way to make risotto, not the size of my dick.

by Anonymousreply 30November 16, 2022 2:45 PM

I’m allergic to shrimp so I’m glad you provided alternatives. Dry vermouth would work as well as white wine. I wish you had more love for canned chicken broth!

by Anonymousreply 31November 16, 2022 2:49 PM

You really must get the word out to Italians that a pressure cooker produces a superior risotto!

by Anonymousreply 32November 16, 2022 2:51 PM

[quote] You really must get the word out to Italians that a pressure cooker produces a superior risotto!

I'm trying. It's very good, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 33November 16, 2022 2:54 PM

Greg, you should do a "collab" on Youtube with Jeff from Pressure Luck. He's the Instant Pot King and kind of cute. Warning: He LOVES Boursin and Better Than Bouillon.

by Anonymousreply 34November 16, 2022 2:54 PM

Greg’s Semen Risotto is considered a delicacy in the sticks.

by Anonymousreply 35November 16, 2022 2:57 PM

[quote] I’m allergic to shrimp so I’m glad you provided alternatives. Dry vermouth would work as well as white wine. I wish you had more love for canned chicken broth!

Thanks, Egalandy! Dry vermouth is perfectly fine.

Regarding canned/boxed chicken broth, go for it. This is what "Cooks Illustrated" recommends based on their taste test:

[quote] [bold] FIRST PLACE: [/bold] Swanson Certified Organic Chicken Broth: “very chickeny, straightforward, and honest flavors.” “A hearty aroma,” and restrained “hints of roastiness.”

[bold] SECOND PLACE: [/bold] Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base: “fairly salty” but with a “straightforward” profile.

"Cooks Illustrated" also says that this is very good: Swanson Chicken Stock, Cooking Stock, 32 Ounce Resealable Carton.

by Anonymousreply 36November 16, 2022 3:03 PM

[quote] Greg, you should do a "collab" on Youtube with Jeff from Pressure Luck. He's the Instant Pot King and kind of cute. Warning: He LOVES Boursin and Better Than Bouillon.

Yes, I've seen Jeff before. Seems like a nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 37November 16, 2022 3:05 PM

[quote] Greg’s Semen Risotto is considered a delicacy in the sticks.

Wow, you're so funny.

by Anonymousreply 38November 16, 2022 3:06 PM

Sounds very good. Thanks for sharing, Greg

by Anonymousreply 39November 16, 2022 3:15 PM

To everyone reading this now, please pay no attention to R23/R25. I know how to make risotto the traditional way, I've been doing it for years and I think I'm pretty good at it. And I understand how it works...friction, characteristic creaminess, etc. But as I said, despite being skeptical, I was very surprised at how good a job the pressure cooker did. And, for those who have an Instant Pot (or some other type of pressure cooker), you will also be pleasantly surprised at how well this works. So give it a try.

If you do make it the traditional way, here's a tip: Don't stress about constantly stirring your risotto. Antonio Salvatore, head chef of Rampoldi Monte Carlo (a Monaco Michelin-starred restaurant), advises, "It's much better to stir once every 30 seconds and trust the cooking process to do its thing. Over-stirring is one way to quickly ruin a risotto's texture." With the right cooking temperature (a medium bubble), the rice will continue to move on its own, so you only need to stir to ensure the rice doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot. Stirring the rice constantly will add air into the risotto, cooling it down and making it gluey. Agitating the rice is important, because, as mentioned above, risotto's creaminess comes from the starch generated when grains of rice rub against each other. So stir it often, but feel free to give your arms (and the rice) a break.

by Anonymousreply 40November 16, 2022 3:18 PM

PS// In case you're wondering why this works so well—the pressure creates an intense amount of steam, which helps release the starch from the rice, creating irresistibly velvety risotto.

What type of rice do I recommend? You can always use Arborio, but I prefer one of these instead:

[bold] Carnaroli [/bold] – Carnaroli rice is more starchy than Vialone Nano, and therefore it results in a more compact risotto. Thanks to its high starch content, it is able to absorb more water in the kernel instead of dissolving on the surface, which produces incredibly light and creamy risotto, without any stickiness. Carnaroli is more resistant to overcooking than other varieties like Arborio.

[bold] Vialone Nano [/bold] – this absorbs liquid like no other rice and makes risotto that is both silky and smooth without ever becoming mushy.

Here's something from a website on Italian food that I like:

[quote] Vialone Nano is used for more soupy risotti. Italians call this style “all’onda” (wavy), because it looks like a wave when tossed in the pan. Despite its small grains, this rice can double in size during cooking, which results in exceptionally flavorful risotti. Just think about it, all of the flavors you add during cooking are captured by the rice kernels! Carnaroli, on the other hand, is best used to make thicker risotti. It reveals its personality in rich and creamy dishes, achieving a velvety mantecatura with surprisingly little butter and cheese; that’s thanks to all that good starch.

I purchase rice at Boston's Eataly. You can also get it on-line.

by Anonymousreply 41November 16, 2022 3:37 PM

[quote]To everyone reading this now, please pay no attention to [R23]/[R25].

Yes. Pay no attention! Listen to someone who knows absolutely nothing about Italian cuisine.

Dear you've never been to Italy. You've never tasted an actual risotto. And no, it is not made with a pressure cooker.

You should really go to Italy and explain to us that a pressure cooker is the way to go!

by Anonymousreply 42November 16, 2022 3:53 PM

r42 is going to die on his hill insisting the old way is the only right way, sitting in his horse-drawn carriage at 5pm, taking 2 hours to get to work while others whiz past him on bikes, buses and cars.

🙄

by Anonymousreply 43November 16, 2022 4:11 PM

^^5 mph

by Anonymousreply 44November 16, 2022 4:12 PM

R43 Dummy, pressure cookers have been around forever. Italians in fact do use them for cooing rice. Brown rice.

But no, not for risotto. And there are reasons for that.

by Anonymousreply 45November 16, 2022 4:18 PM

Greg thinks Eataly is Italy.

by Anonymousreply 46November 16, 2022 4:20 PM

[quote] Yes. Pay no attention! Listen to someone who knows absolutely nothing about Italian cuisine. Dear you've never been to Italy. You've never tasted an actual risotto. And no, it is not made with a pressure cooker. You should really go to Italy and explain to us that a pressure cooker is the way to go!

Oh, interesting. The fact is, I've been to Italy numerous times. And I've tasted risotto many times. How does it feel to be such a little bitch, R42? You really are funny. Take a deep breath, little one.

by Anonymousreply 47November 16, 2022 4:21 PM

You can always tell when someone is starting to falter when they resort to name calling.

by Anonymousreply 48November 16, 2022 4:22 PM

[quote] Greg thinks Eataly is Italy.

No, I don't. I've been to Italy. I've probably been to Italy more times than you have.

Peace!

by Anonymousreply 49November 16, 2022 4:23 PM

You can always tell when someone is starting to falter when they resort to telling someone they don't know where they've been.

by Anonymousreply 50November 16, 2022 4:24 PM

For the kind people out here who don't have mental illness but do have manners, give this risotto a try and let us know what you think!

by Anonymousreply 51November 16, 2022 4:25 PM

My response at r48 was not meant for Greg, it was meant for the shrill one who keeps screaming that YOU CAN'T USE A PRESSURE COOKER FOR RISOTTO!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 52November 16, 2022 4:25 PM

[quote]Antonio Salvatore, head chef of Rampoldi Monte Carlo (a Monaco Michelin-starred restaurant), advises, "It's much better to stir once every 30 seconds and trust the cooking process to do its thing.

BTW, this is very true. I wrote "constantly" at R25, but the stirring every 30 seconds or so is as constantly as it should be. In the 18 to 20 minutes it takes for the rice to cook, that's a lot of stirring. But you don't want to do it without stopping.

by Anonymousreply 53November 16, 2022 4:26 PM

Sorry for the confusion, Greg. I don't have a problem with pressure cookers and risotto.

The loon that has spent so much time telling you otherwise is unhinged. Thus, my recommendation he medicates himself before he gets palpitations.

by Anonymousreply 54November 16, 2022 4:28 PM

[quote] My response at [R48] was not meant for Greg, it was meant for the shrill one who keeps screaming that YOU CAN'T USE A PRESSURE COOKER FOR RISOTTO!!!!!

Thanks, R52! I've grown comfortable with the fact that no mater what I post out here and no matter how good a recipe might be, there will be small minded angry individuals who will criticize, name call, and make a nuisance of themselves. I don't mind it. It's really pretty funny.

by Anonymousreply 55November 16, 2022 4:29 PM

[quote] BTW, this is very true. I wrote "constantly" at [R25], but the stirring every 30 seconds or so is as constantly as it should be. In the 18 to 20 minutes it takes for the rice to cook, that's a lot of stirring. But you don't want to do it without stopping.

Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 56November 16, 2022 4:30 PM

Just got an instant pot a couple of months ago and I don’t know how I lived without it all these years. Food tastes much better too.

by Anonymousreply 57November 16, 2022 4:30 PM

[quote] Sorry for the confusion, Greg. I don't have a problem with pressure cookers and risotto. The loon that has spent so much time telling you otherwise is unhinged. Thus, my recommendation he medicates himself before he gets palpitations.

Thanks, R54. That guy obviously has problems. I am well aware how to make risotto using the traditional method. I also know that having tried making it in the Instant Pot, I was pleasantly surprised and would do it again with no fear that the risotto police would come after me. And who tells someone, "Dear you've never been to Italy. You've never tasted an actual risotto." Hilarious. I've been to Italy many times and one of the nicest risottos I've ever had was in Milan. You are correct, that guy is unhinged and immature. More to pitied than scorned.

by Anonymousreply 58November 16, 2022 4:36 PM

[quote] Just got an instant pot a couple of months ago and I don’t know how I lived without it all these years. Food tastes much better too.

Hi, R57. As I said, I am not one to purchase kitchen gadgets, but the Instant Pot is really quite a useful tool to have in the kitchen. I don't use it often, but when I do, I'm very happy with it.

by Anonymousreply 59November 16, 2022 4:38 PM

[quote]I've made risotto many, many times on the stove, but using a pressure cooker results in superior risotto.

If only Carlo Cracco knew.

by Anonymousreply 60November 16, 2022 4:41 PM

Marcella Hazan is spinning in her grave.

by Anonymousreply 61November 16, 2022 4:47 PM

Risotto screamer is spinning in place.

by Anonymousreply 62November 16, 2022 4:48 PM

Sounds good!

by Anonymousreply 63November 16, 2022 9:39 PM

I tried this and it was pretty amazing

by Anonymousreply 64November 18, 2022 4:04 PM

Now try some real risotto ^

by Anonymousreply 65November 18, 2022 4:08 PM

[quote] Now try some real risotto

It tasted like really good risotto. What would make it "real?"

by Anonymousreply 66November 18, 2022 4:13 PM

Read the thread.

by Anonymousreply 67November 18, 2022 4:15 PM

[quote] Read the thread.

I don't have time to read the thread if you want me to be stirring risotto for 20 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 68November 18, 2022 4:19 PM

It's perfectly fine to make a rice dish in a pressure cooker.

You can even buy packets of instant "risotto" that are satisfying and great if you're in a hurry. The first time I ever had one was at the home of a friend of mine in Italy who is quite the food snob. It was late and we were tired and it was a nice quick primo.

But they are rice dishes, actually not a risotto. Risotto is a cooking technique.

I use instant polenta. It does the job. Does it have the texture and rich corn flavor of a hand stirred polenta which I also occasionally make? No. But not everything you cook has to be 5 star.

But what I take umbrage with are statements like this one: "but using a pressure cooker results in superior risotto."

No it does not. A statement like that can only be said by someone who understands nothing about the dish.

by Anonymousreply 69November 18, 2022 8:41 PM

Sure thing r68. You be you. Why don't you try the instant risotto that r69 mentions if you don't have the time to make a real risotto?

by Anonymousreply 70November 18, 2022 11:01 PM

The risotto cooking technique can also be used in making pasta.

Penne "risottate".

Scroll down for the video:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 19, 2022 12:26 AM

[quote] Sure thing [R68]. You be you. Why don't you try the instant risotto that [R69] mentions if you don't have the time to make a real risotto?

R70, are you serious? I have no interest in trying an instant risotto. How ridiculous you are if you can't see a difference between just opening a box of instant risotto vs using my Vialone Nano rice, homemade chicken stock, and Parmigiano Reggiano. You really think these things are the same? I'll speed up the process by using a pressure cooker rather than just opening a box of instant risotto. You give people who like good food a bad name. All the pressure cooker does is use an intense amount of steam to help the rice release its starch. It's like saying, "Oh, you don't want to spend the time to make Julia's Bœuf Bourguignon? Well, Ina's recipe is not true French Bourguignon, so why not just open a can of Dinty Moore?"

Give us a break, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 72November 19, 2022 11:14 AM

Sorry, Hun, I was just trying to help ☺️

by Anonymousreply 73November 19, 2022 12:04 PM

Greg's instant pot risotto is of a piece with his performing analingus through a piece of saran wrap.

by Anonymousreply 74November 19, 2022 2:58 PM

No doubt the instant pot risotto is delicious given these testimonies. I don’t have one of those, so I make it the old school way. It’s really not that hard. I also have made the pre-packaged kind on a weeknight when I don’t feel like actually cooking. The packaged kind at Lidl is made in Italy, so I guess lazy Italians use it too.

by Anonymousreply 75November 19, 2022 3:30 PM

[quote] Greg's instant pot risotto is of a piece with his performing analingus through a piece of saran wrap.

[bold] CORRECTION: [/bold] Not one piece of Saran Wrap. Two.

by Anonymousreply 76November 19, 2022 3:37 PM

R76 Greg, you’re a good sport when replying to some of the haters. You directed a few playful retorts my way when I was unkind at first.

Then I came to appreciate how enjoyable and authentic your threads are. DL would be a little bland and one-note without your threads.

by Anonymousreply 77November 19, 2022 3:46 PM

Asshole opinion: risotto is good, but an unimpressive and easy dish to make. Not aimed at you Greg, but people who brag about their amazing special risotto recipes might as well be crowing about their cream of wheat.

by Anonymousreply 78November 19, 2022 4:01 PM

R78 You've never has a properly prepared risotto alla milanese.

by Anonymousreply 79November 19, 2022 4:07 PM

R79 Meh. Now panna di trigo alla milenese... mereviglioso! You've never had such an orgasm!

by Anonymousreply 80November 19, 2022 4:55 PM

[quote] Greg, you’re a good sport when replying to some of the haters. You directed a few playful retorts my way when I was unkind at first. Then I came to appreciate how enjoyable and authentic your threads are. DL would be a little bland and one-note without your threads.

Thank you, R77. I am much hated out here, so I appreciate the occasional kind word.

by Anonymousreply 81November 19, 2022 5:07 PM

Oh, who the hell gives a shit?! The instant pot makes great, flavorful creamy risotto apparently.

Live and let live, Risotto spinner. Go find something more worthwhile to care about, loser. If you put half as much attention to a cause that MATTERS, you might do some good in this world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82November 19, 2022 5:09 PM

Will someone do a test taste of the instant risotto, Greg's pressure cooker and traditional?

by Anonymousreply 83November 19, 2022 5:15 PM

Another fan of Pressure Luck; his Thai curry recipe works very well.

As for risotto, when I tried it in the instant pot, some of the rice stuck to the bottom, requiring soaking and scouring. However, the rest was great, with compliments from the other diners.

by Anonymousreply 84November 19, 2022 5:16 PM

Greg, I don't hate you. I hope you keep posting your occasional recipes and ignore the losers who have nothing else in their lives but to criticize and rain on parades.

by Anonymousreply 85November 19, 2022 5:18 PM

Hi Greg. Ignore r85. We all hate you.

by Anonymousreply 86November 19, 2022 5:21 PM

Of course I have r86 blocked. He has already proven himself an asshole, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 87November 19, 2022 5:24 PM

I thought the moment for "Instant Pot" had finally passed.

by Anonymousreply 88November 19, 2022 5:25 PM

Greg, what does “remove from heat” mean? Is the directive to actually remove the pot from the Instant Pot or just turn off?

by Anonymousreply 89November 19, 2022 5:26 PM

Girls, girls, I have all of you blocked.

When I visit DL I just see a blank screen and porn ads.

by Anonymousreply 90November 19, 2022 5:54 PM

[quote] Greg, what does “remove from heat” mean? Is the directive to actually remove the pot from the Instant Pot or just turn off?

Sorry, R89, that directive is for someone using an old fashioned pressure cooker that would sit on the stove.

If you're using an Instant Pot, just turn it off.

Going to try this?

by Anonymousreply 91November 19, 2022 5:58 PM

[quote] Hi Greg. Ignore [R85]. We all hate you.

Thank you, R86.

xo

by Anonymousreply 92November 19, 2022 5:59 PM

R91- I’m inclined to try it, yes. Sounds delicious. Question about the shrimp- Is it just defrosted shrimp that you sautee in the Instant pot? Thanks Greg!

by Anonymousreply 93November 19, 2022 9:55 PM

I made it tonight. Instead of shrimp I sautéed up a mushroom medley from Trader Joe's.

It was very good! Was it the very best risotto I've ever had? No, that honor goes to the Cafe Luxembourg I enjoyed there 30 years ago.

But for a rich, creamy risotto in under 30 minutes, I highly recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 94November 19, 2022 10:50 PM

^ Well how long do you think it takes to make a traditional risotto?

by Anonymousreply 95November 20, 2022 1:12 AM

[quote] Girls, girls, I have all of you blocked. When I visit DL I just see a blank screen and porn ads.

😂😂😂

Explain something for me please. When posters like r87 block me (because they're crushing on me and are suffering from unrequited love) they still seem to see I've posted - even know what I've posted.

How is that possible? I know love conquers all, but still. I'm curious.

by Anonymousreply 96November 20, 2022 1:59 AM

It's funny when he's wrong.

by Anonymousreply 97November 20, 2022 3:41 AM

Greg, this looks impressive: if you say it passes for the real deal; I'm a believer. Someone in my life has persisted in telling me just how much I NEED an Insta-Pot, and has even threatened to buy one for me...I may just relent. I don't like many over-hyped gimcrack kitchen appliances myself, as you had mentioned. I do live rice dishes however, and the fact that this can be cooked in nine minutes is nothing short of an actual miracle, from my POV. (I've made countless risottos over the years)

For you and Egalandy, you must try the Manischewitz chicken broth in Tetra-paks... There's a double-strength, as well as a regular strength version, and they're both far superior to Swanson's. I find them to be the closest to homemade.

by Anonymousreply 98November 20, 2022 5:43 AM

I'd LOVE to have someone do an instant pot risotto vs traditional risotto blind taste test. And report back here.

by Anonymousreply 99November 20, 2022 6:15 AM

R99 I'd watch it as a cooking show spot, for sure. BLIND tasting is key, as there are far too many emotions involved with doing it the proper, traditional Italian way, which could certainly bias tasters.

by Anonymousreply 100November 20, 2022 6:26 AM

Instant Pot isn't really a gimmick-- it's an electric pressure cooker that happened to have a catchy name and excellent marketing. Electric pressure cookers existed before the Instant Pot name came along and were mostly popular in Asia where pressure cookers are used every day.

I love mine. I cook mostly Indian food, as I have my whole adult life, and pressure cooking is the only practical way to do it when cooking nearly every day of the week. I double recipes and freeze the other half--there is always homemade food on hand.

And I don't feel sheepish about having an electric pressure cooker that lets me do other things while my food is cooking. I'm not bothered when someone who has seen two episodes of that Stanley Tucci show and suddenly thinks they know everything about cooking with their three-piece Teflon skillet set from mommy turns up their nose at my instant pot!

by Anonymousreply 101November 20, 2022 7:09 AM

R98- I’m a fan of the Instant Pot, but worth noting- it doesn’t really take only 9 minutes. What you’ll find with an Instant Pot is that you will set it for 9 minutes but it takes about 30 minutes to get to the high pressure point. At that point, it beeps and starts counting down from 9 minutes. My Pot takes 27 minutes to get up to pressure. When following an Instant Pot recipe, you just need to know (in this instance) the 9 minute part.

by Anonymousreply 102November 20, 2022 10:41 AM

My old one took a while, but I bought a new one when I moved last year; this one takes around 5 minutes to pre-heat.

by Anonymousreply 103November 20, 2022 12:16 PM

[quote] I’m inclined to try it, yes. Sounds delicious. Question about the shrimp- Is it just defrosted shrimp that you sautee in the Instant pot? Thanks Greg!

R93, you can use either fresh shrimp or defrosted frozen shrimp. Just be sure to remove the shells and the vein before you add them to the Instant Pot (you are not sautéing them, just adding them at the end).

Hope you like it!

by Anonymousreply 104November 20, 2022 12:31 PM

Well, R96, your beau doesn't actually have you blocked and is hoping to incite an angry, some could say "flaming," response to the announcement that you're BLOCKED.

by Anonymousreply 105November 20, 2022 12:34 PM

I’ve never used an instant pot, but if they are Greg-approved, maybe I should try. My risotto spoon with the hole in it has been sitting in a drawer for so long. I love risotto, but I haven’t wanted to stand and stir in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 106November 20, 2022 12:35 PM

[quote] I’m a fan of the Instant Pot, but worth noting- it doesn’t really take only 9 minutes. What you’ll find with an Instant Pot is that you will set it for 9 minutes but it takes about 30 minutes to get to the high pressure point. At that point, it beeps and starts counting down from 9 minutes. My Pot takes 27 minutes to get up to pressure. When following an Instant Pot recipe, you just need to know (in this instance) the 9 minute part.

Well that's true, R102. Mine does not take 30 minutes to reach pressure—more like 12 to 15 minutes. That said, it's all hands off (once you seal the lid, there's nothing you can do but wait).

by Anonymousreply 107November 20, 2022 12:37 PM

[quote] I'd LOVE to have someone do an instant pot risotto vs traditional risotto blind taste test. And report back here.

Yes, I hope someone will take on this challenge. No need to include boxed instant risotto. That will always come in last. We just want to have a taste test using both a traditionally-prepared risotto and one made in an Instant Pot (or some other type of pressure cooker).

by Anonymousreply 108November 20, 2022 12:39 PM

R106, so THAT’S what that spoon is for. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 109November 20, 2022 12:46 PM

You can over boil grits in half-and-half and water and get similar mouth feel as risotto's rice.

by Anonymousreply 110November 20, 2022 2:05 PM

Risotto's supposed to be al dente, but seriously you're right. It's the same shit as grits and oatmeal.

by Anonymousreply 111November 20, 2022 2:14 PM

Greg, it’s now been a few months and the memory of your macaroni cheese with evap milk has, happily, now receded, so I might just give this one a try. With chicken rather than prawns I think.

Rather impressed with the Instant Pot. It makes fantastic stock. I don’t use it as a one pot gadget though- just stick in the ingredients to pressure cook.

There’s an internet site run specifically for Instant Pot run by a couple of recipe developers which is much better than the official site I’ve found.

by Anonymousreply 112November 20, 2022 2:28 PM

You mean polenta, r110?

by Anonymousreply 113November 20, 2022 2:37 PM

Taste test: first you have to understand what risotto is actually supposed to taste like and what the texture and consistency is supposed to be like.

I no doubt believe American palates would be happy with mushy risotto as much as they are with over cooked, over sauced and under salted pasta.

by Anonymousreply 114November 20, 2022 3:15 PM

Si', scusatemi r113

by Anonymousreply 115November 20, 2022 3:24 PM

R114 As long as weird inferior, that's what matters.

by Anonymousreply 116November 20, 2022 3:31 PM

r114 it's already been revealed that many ACTUAL ITALIANS use pressure cookers for their risotto. I don't know why you keep banging this drum. You're exhausting.

Yes, I move for a blind taste test (no boxed risotto allowed).

by Anonymousreply 117November 20, 2022 4:08 PM

Everyone on this thread is FAT!

by Anonymousreply 118November 20, 2022 4:14 PM

[quote] [R114] it's already been revealed that many ACTUAL ITALIANS use pressure cookers for their risotto

There are unsophisticated people in every country.

by Anonymousreply 119November 20, 2022 4:33 PM

R118 despite my best efforts, it remains elusive

by Anonymousreply 120November 20, 2022 4:37 PM

[quote]it's already been revealed that many ACTUAL ITALIANS use pressure cookers for their risotto.

Uh...where as that been revealed?

by Anonymousreply 121November 20, 2022 4:37 PM

[quote] Greg, it’s now been a few months and the memory of your macaroni cheese with evap milk has, happily, now receded, so I might just give this one a try. With chicken rather than prawns I think.

Please do give it a try and report back.

I made macaroni and cheese last night to serve with fried chicken and coleslaw. And guess what? I used Martha's "Macaroni & Cheese 101" make with a mornay sauce including sharp cheddar cheese and gruyère. It was quite good. For years I made macaroni and cheese with a mornay sauce. In recent years I started using evaporated milk and eggs because of a recommendation by "Cooks Illustrated"—but I have recently returned to making a béchamel and adding cheese to it (called mornay sauce).

by Anonymousreply 122November 20, 2022 5:03 PM

Here's the recipe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123November 20, 2022 5:05 PM

Greg, I tried it. It was truly awful, sorry. Slightly sweet and peculiarly chemical. Smooth textured and silky texture wise but it didn’t make up for the utterly horrible taste.

by Anonymousreply 124November 20, 2022 7:27 PM

Which one, R124, the risotto or the macaroni and cheese?

by Anonymousreply 125November 20, 2022 8:07 PM

The macaroni cheese with carnation milk was as horrid as I feared it would be.

Willing to give the risotto a go, even though I do enjoy the ritual of adding and stirring.

by Anonymousreply 126November 20, 2022 9:22 PM

[quote]The macaroni cheese with carnation milk was as horrid as I feared it would be.

People without a discerning palate think it's great.

by Anonymousreply 127November 20, 2022 9:27 PM

Was the mac and cheese bad or was the risotto bad?

Can a non-Greg attest to the blandness factor of Greg's tastes? I am heavy-handed with seasonings, but I not above being more subtle if it's actually good.

by Anonymousreply 128November 21, 2022 12:10 AM

"I am* not above..." it should say.

I'm the Datalounger who STILL hasn't had an eye checkup since before Covid and the ONLY time I remember that I need to schedule one is when I post something with a typo here, which is always after hours!

by Anonymousreply 129November 21, 2022 12:13 AM

You're supposed to watch Martha Stewart, not try anything she does at home. It's entertainment television.

The same goes with her household products. They are deliberately cheap and of inferior quality, being marketed to unsophisticated tastes whose consumer satisfaction comes only from buying the name.

by Anonymousreply 130November 21, 2022 12:16 AM

Well that settles it!

by Anonymousreply 131November 21, 2022 1:25 AM

[quote] Greg, I tried it. It was truly awful, sorry. Slightly sweet and peculiarly chemical. Smooth textured and silky texture wise but it didn’t make up for the utterly horrible taste.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Do you think that if it tasted that horrible, I would have liked it? Or Cooks Illustrated would have promoted it so much? Think about it...Cooks Illustrated wrote an entire article on how good it is.

by Anonymousreply 132November 21, 2022 4:19 PM

[quote] People without a discerning palate think it's great.

I happen to have a very discerning palate, R127.

by Anonymousreply 133November 21, 2022 4:20 PM

[quote] Can a non-Greg attest to the blandness factor of Greg's tastes? I am heavy-handed with seasonings, but I not above being more subtle if it's actually good.

That's funny, R128, I've never been accused of having a "blandness factor." I make Ethiopian food, Mexican food, love Indian food, and have a huge tolerance and love for spice and heat. My tastes are not bland...not even close. But thanks for thinking that you know me so well.

by Anonymousreply 134November 21, 2022 4:22 PM

Martha’s macaroni and cheese 101 is the very best I’ve ever made.

I can’t go near evaporated milk. My mother destroyed coffee with it throughout my childhood. I didn’t realize coffee was drinkable until I was 25 and a friend introduced me to Sumatra, which we drank black.

by Anonymousreply 135November 21, 2022 4:33 PM

[quote] Martha’s macaroni and cheese 101 is the very best I’ve ever made. I can’t go near evaporated milk. My mother destroyed coffee with it throughout my childhood. I didn’t realize coffee was drinkable until I was 25 and a friend introduced me to Sumatra, which we drank black.

Yes, it's quite delicious, no matter what people out here say.

And like you, I drink my coffee black.

by Anonymousreply 136November 21, 2022 5:07 PM

Making traditional risotto is relatively easy to cook and takes less than a half hour to make. While you have to pay attention to it, risotto does not required constant stirring. And it's a great alternative to pasta for adding many types of vegetables or seafood. The one caveat is that you really need to use parmigiano reggiano.

by Anonymousreply 137November 22, 2022 10:41 AM

R132 here. Aww, Greg don’t get snippy! We all have different tastes.

I wasn’t trying to be bitchy, just that I didn’t like that recipe. I thought I probably wouldn’t, but tried it anyway as I don’t like to prejudge these things and there is always more to learn in the kitchen - and as I say I may well try the risotto.

by Anonymousreply 138November 22, 2022 12:43 PM

R126 sorry. But yes that is my comment Greg quotes there.

by Anonymousreply 139November 22, 2022 12:44 PM

Greg I’m going to try it, but I need to change a few things as I hate shrimp and my husband avoids cow milk. So sausage and pecorino instead. I’ve been afraid to use the pressure cooker function on my instapot but you’ve given me the impetus to try.

by Anonymousreply 140November 22, 2022 3:48 PM

The biggest problem with pressure cooking has to do with food sticking to the bottom of the pot if you're not careful. There's a reason why spaghetti requires the meatballs on the bottom, pasta nested on top of that so as not to touch the instant pot itself, and then sauce poured over.

by Anonymousreply 141November 22, 2022 3:55 PM

Greg, I was asking because I haven't seen you comment about any of those cuisines, and I have thought about trying some of the things you've mentioned here, but wasn't sure whether I would need to garlic-and-spice it way up. I don't assume I know you very well, hence the question in the first place!

I'm surprised how easy it is to ruffle your feathers, you've been here for years now.

Insert Cher's "snap out of it!" GIF here.

by Anonymousreply 142November 22, 2022 4:08 PM

thanks, Greg. Im looking for a black Friday sale on an Instant pot.

by Anonymousreply 143November 22, 2022 4:37 PM

I'd buy an instant pot too but for the fact that I have a traditional pressure cooker.

I'm a traditionalist though I'm willing to try Greg's or other instant risottos. TMI I know, I also fuck in only one sexual position with my sexual partners, whichever works best with each after trying out all.

by Anonymousreply 144November 22, 2022 8:50 PM

For you purists, if "instant pot risotto" triggers you, those recipes as "instant pot rice dish" are very tasty.

by Anonymousreply 145November 22, 2022 9:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!