Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

You CAN NOT just "up and move" to another country.

So many posters on this site seem to think that "up and moving" to another country is a realistic option if a political party (with which they disagree) takes control or more civil rights get clobbered by our Supreme Court. You can't do that without a LOT of time, paperwork, legal wrangling, and work...(not to mention a LOT of money and legal representation). Their Immigration and Naturalization service will have a few problems with you if you do...(even in a third-world country).

by Anonymousreply 121November 9, 2022 7:06 AM

This is true. You’re all stuck here with the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 1November 7, 2022 11:28 AM

They're full of shit just stirring the pot and pointlessly whining. It's a mirror to what miserable cunts they must be in real life. No one cares. You want to move, go and move. The U.S. would be better without them.

by Anonymousreply 2November 7, 2022 11:29 AM

Most people know this - doesn't stop them from kicking the idea around.

And you CAN just turn up in a country and make it happen and find ways to stay there if it works for you.

by Anonymousreply 3November 7, 2022 11:30 AM

r3 only in a few countries like the Ivory Coast, that absolutely no one wants to live in...think no electricity or running water, not to mention no plumbing of any kind...

by Anonymousreply 4November 7, 2022 11:32 AM

a typical village, Ivory Coast

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 7, 2022 11:35 AM

Easier to find a democratic bubble in the U.S. to move to if you’re currently in a red area.

by Anonymousreply 6November 7, 2022 11:39 AM

My favorite is a SJW frau acquaintance who says if a republican wins in 2024 she will pick up and move back to Singapore.

Because it’s so much better there….?

Sure Jan.

by Anonymousreply 7November 7, 2022 11:41 AM

There are a few countries that make it relatively easy to relocate to.

I have some mutual acquaintances who moved to Ecuador about 10 years ago. Once they'd made the decision to move they were gone within 60 days. and haven't returned to the US since. They set up a bank account in Ecuador first then applied for a work visa (which they got with no problem). They moved to a seaside town that is apparently chock-a-block with Americans expats. I hear it's not difficult to get a work visa in Mexico as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 7, 2022 11:43 AM

Exercise increased caution in Ecuador due to civil unrest and crime. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.

Reconsider travel to:

Guayaquil north of Portete de Tarquí Avenue due to crime. Do not travel to:

Carchi, Sucumbíos, and the northern part of Esmeraldas provinces, including Esmeraldas city, due to crime. Guayaquil, south of Portete de Tarquí Avenue, due to crime. Country Summary: Crime is a widespread problem in Ecuador. Violent crime, such as murder, assault, express kidnapping, and armed robbery, is common. Transnational criminal organizations and gangs operate in Carchi, Sucumbíos, and the northern part of Esmeraldas provinces, as well as in Guayaquil, south of Portete de Tarquí Avenue.

Demonstrations occur regularly throughout the country. Public demonstrations can take place for a variety of political and economic issues. Demonstrations can cause the shutdown of local roads and major highways, often without prior notice or estimated reopening timelines. Road closures may significantly reduce access to public transportation and airports and may disrupt travel both within and between cities.

*******No, I don't think so.....at least not for most Americans...

by Anonymousreply 9November 7, 2022 11:57 AM

I think it’s possible to move to the Philippines sans visa.

by Anonymousreply 10November 7, 2022 12:16 PM

Typical village Philippines, 99% of the country is NOT like Manilla...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 7, 2022 12:26 PM

A lot of times you’ll read a post about how someone got fed up and moved to France or something and how proud they are of themselves and how much better life is and then they’ll bury at the bottom that they already had dual citizenship or their husband is a native of the country they moved to. Well, sure, it’s easy for you then. Most people don’t have a free pass to escape.

by Anonymousreply 12November 7, 2022 12:35 PM

[quote] And you CAN just turn up in a country and make it happen and find ways to stay there if it works for you.

For six months, perhaps, then you get into visa issues. After traveling around the world, I have found the only countries that I would expat to would be first world countries. However, first world countries don't want you unless you bring some cash to their economy. In other words, no deadbeats allowed to stay over visa limits.

by Anonymousreply 13November 7, 2022 12:39 PM

The very first sentence of the article at R8 is a lie, because it states that Canada is "relatively easy" to move to. Bullshit. I've actually gone through the process to request Canadian residency, and without a job offer (and Canadian companies are required to try to fill jobs with Canadians first), or family ties, or a shit-ton of money, it is exceedingly difficult. (Needless to say, partner and I didn't qualify even though we are stable wage-earners and he's in medical/tech.)

I've also completed the process to obtain Italian citizenship due to ancestry, and even for that I had to hire a firm to help me get through the paperwork (all of which needs to be translated into Italian, etc etc.) It's took about 2 years and $2,000 and although I have a citizenship letter, I still don't have the passport.

by Anonymousreply 14November 7, 2022 12:43 PM

r7 it's the public canings

by Anonymousreply 15November 7, 2022 12:47 PM

r14 you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT....just as I said....I'm the OP

by Anonymousreply 16November 7, 2022 12:50 PM

If you are not wealthy, you can't move to just any country on earth. But it's not true that it's impossible to take off in a huff and move to another country. I wouldn't live in Mexico--I scare easily--but many retirees do. Spain and Portugal also have significant communities of U.S. retirees because there's no high financial burden to clear to gain residency.

by Anonymousreply 17November 7, 2022 1:02 PM

R14 The article didn't say that. It said people were Googling how to move to Canada, usually during presidential elections. It never said anything about how easy or hard it is to do.

by Anonymousreply 18November 7, 2022 1:03 PM

r9 really, anything in South America would be a nightmare right now unless you could pass for a local or shacking up with one. . .even then risky right now with the brands of right (paranoid, delusional) or left (hateful, xenophobic) especially within regards to Americans.

Americans tend to project their politics onto everyone else, not realizing though they may have adopted the same terms, they are often far beyond the familiar.

Consider Brasil's election, it was bound to be a shitshow either way but it's a major upset in the region not Brasil alone. So tensions are even more elevated than normal which hasn't been below orange since before 2009.

Still, one can travel for extended time and visa hop. Many remote workers do. Although, there are a few nations that will trade citizenship for purchase of a home. But often those are nations on the verge of economic collapse and high risk investment due to instability, potential of having assets seized, imprisonment, death, etc. unless we're talking serious financial investment then the doorway opens up quite a bit more.

by Anonymousreply 19November 7, 2022 1:05 PM

R18 Ok, but the the summary of the article on the link posted says, "Besides escaping north to Canada, there are plenty of other places that US citizens can move to relatively easily." Which implies that Canada is included in those easy countries.

by Anonymousreply 20November 7, 2022 1:07 PM

r17 this seems like "a high financial burden" to me:

(from the Portugal immigration website): I you have a million spare change laying around and are able to create 10 permanent jobs for local citizens, then be my guest. Maybe it is YOU who need to learn to use the interwebs...(I'm talking directly to you [R150])

The Golden Visa is a quicker and easier way to retire and live in Portugal, but also a more expensive one. To get a Golden Visa, you’d have to make one of the following investments:

Purchase property worth at least €500,000 Invest at least €350,000 in a property in a Portuguese urban regeneration area, as part of a project qualified by the SEF. Make a capital transfer of at least €1 million Invest or purchase shares amounting to at least €1 million in a Portuguese company Create at least ten new jobs Donate at least €350,000 for research activities in science or technology in Portuguese research institutions Donate at least €250,000 to support the reconstruction of national heritage or arts

******If you have a million lying around, and can create 10 permanent jobs for local citizens, be my guest*****

by Anonymousreply 21November 7, 2022 1:08 PM

^^^^^^ignore first paragraph, it was a response on another feed

by Anonymousreply 22November 7, 2022 1:09 PM

R14 I was referring to the article itself. Strangely, the caption isn't mentioned in the article at all. But yes, you're right. Canada isn't easy to migrate to.

by Anonymousreply 23November 7, 2022 1:10 PM

Sincere question - What's appealing about moving to Portugal? Personally, I've never heard of anyone discussing it as a retirement destination beyond mentioning it in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 24November 7, 2022 1:17 PM

[quote]only in a few countries like the Ivory Coast, that absolutely no one wants to live in...think no electricity or running water, not to mention no plumbing of any kind...

Bullshit. I went on a tourist visa to Germany, got hired for a job and they sponsored my work visa. Ended up staying for 8 years.

And for the poster who thinks all of South America is a "nightmare" - also bullshit. I have been to 8 countries this year and apart from seeing a few non-violent demonstrations in Buenos Aires and Bogota, life has been pretty normal. Yes, things have been sketchy in Ecuador and you shouldn't go to certain hotspots known for drug trafficking or whatever. There are still plenty of places that feel as safe as the US, if not moreso.

I am happy being nomadic and am not looking to become a resident anywhere in the near future, but I will not go back to the US.

by Anonymousreply 25November 7, 2022 1:33 PM

Yes and no. If you don't need to work, you can travel indefinitely. There are LOADS of wealthy families in exile who bounce from one vacation spot to the next for years and years. Spend some time in Miami and you will meet some. You don't have to officially be a resident to stay for several months. Then you just bounce somewhere else fabulous. You could never set foot in the US again if you so choose.

by Anonymousreply 26November 7, 2022 1:47 PM

All you need is money.

by Anonymousreply 27November 7, 2022 1:48 PM

Jews can go to Israel if they don’t mind “out of the frying pan and into the fire.”

by Anonymousreply 28November 7, 2022 1:52 PM

[quote]Sincere question - What's appealing about moving to Portugal? Personally, I've never heard of anyone discussing it as a retirement destination beyond mentioning it in this thread.

Dirt cheap, mild winters, incredibly safe, the people are lovely, and wine.

I'm considering retiring there if I my 401k survives the next few years and if I can get my brain around their insane version of Portuguese.

by Anonymousreply 29November 7, 2022 1:55 PM

This post was intended for people who abruptly want to "up and move" to another country if Republicans gain control of congress or the SC continues to chip away at Civil Rights....these people seem to think they can just "up and move" without a job and stay in another country forever.....that is simply not the case......NOT for people who want to retire somewhere...so let us just shut up about Golden Visa millionaire relocations or relocations in which you have a job waiting in a 1st world country, or you have dual citizenship........ let's stay on topic...

by Anonymousreply 30November 7, 2022 2:04 PM

For several years I've been following on youtube a few expats in Ecuador (Cuenca) and it's fairly safe. They are quite content with their decision to leave the U.S. One couple did so because of the cheaper medical insurance, another 70 year old woman who traveled the world fell in love with Cuenca. They are realistic about the drawbacks but safety isn't one of them. When they poll other expats about why they are leaving it's usually because of family back home and...boredom.

Like everywhere, parts of Ecuador are more dangerous. I wouldn't live in Washington D.C. OR Quito. Ecuador is rated as safer than Portugal. Visas are a hassle, most people get lawyers but it's still frustrating.

by Anonymousreply 31November 7, 2022 2:14 PM

People can’t just up and move to another country.

Yes, they can.

Stay on topic!

by Anonymousreply 32November 7, 2022 2:17 PM

I have relatives who moved to New Zealand. They lived there for two years, but got bored and moved back to the U.S. I bet now, they wish they would have stayed in NZ.

by Anonymousreply 33November 7, 2022 2:20 PM

Yes op that's very true. I do think a lot of the posts are just people daydreaming, even though they know deep down their fantasies are unrealistic.

Maybe they'd be better off just moving to a different state or town. Not to state the obvious but the U.S. is a huge country and it's striking how different cities and geographic areas can feel from each other. At least that's doable. Someone who is miserable in a large suburb in northeast might thrive in a small town on the west coast. Or vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 34November 7, 2022 2:26 PM

I can, I’m a green card holder.

by Anonymousreply 35November 7, 2022 2:28 PM

[quote]So many posters on this site seem to think that "up and moving" to another country is a realistic option if a political party (with which they disagree) takes control or more civil rights get clobbered...

To be fair many might have been influenced by images of roads out of Russia jammed with sane folk escaping conscription. Earlier this year post-invasion large numbers of intelligent or at least hopeful people wanted nothing more to do with mother Russia and swiftly got the hell out. Doubtless an intensely negative impetus such as Putin will urge many to let the chips fall where they may.

by Anonymousreply 36November 7, 2022 2:31 PM

A poor assed place like Ecuador? For permanent residence? No thx

by Anonymousreply 37November 7, 2022 2:33 PM

[quote] A poor assed place like Ecuador?

They’ve got big dicks.

by Anonymousreply 38November 7, 2022 2:35 PM

^^ shut up you trash

by Anonymousreply 39November 7, 2022 2:37 PM

[quote] Jews can go to Israel if they don’t mind “out of the frying pan and into the fire.”

They never seemed to mind when I offered it to them…

by Anonymousreply 40November 7, 2022 2:41 PM

There's a popular thread by a guy who seems happy having moved to Malaysia. Why not consider that?

by Anonymousreply 41November 7, 2022 2:43 PM

[quote]an create 10 permanent jobs for local citizens, be my guest

Do hot live-in houseboys count as permanent jobs?

by Anonymousreply 42November 7, 2022 3:22 PM

Darfur welcomes you!

Please bring food.

by Anonymousreply 43November 7, 2022 3:23 PM

r32 are you dense? You cannot just "up and move" to another country simply because you are unsatisfied with the government in the US. If you believe you can, try it....just be sure you can avoid the other country's immigration services and border control; you may have to move every day.....good luck...

by Anonymousreply 44November 7, 2022 4:23 PM

Why not? David DePape did that, and wound up living in America for over 20 years without a Green Card

by Anonymousreply 45November 7, 2022 4:25 PM

r36, But what was the quality of the countries they were clogging the roads to escape to? Would you want to live in those countries?

by Anonymousreply 46November 7, 2022 4:26 PM

r45 I think DePape has gotten caught...ahem... How has his stay here turned out for him??

by Anonymousreply 47November 7, 2022 4:27 PM

So, r44–what is an acceptable reply? Should everyone just write, “Yup. OP is correct”. Is that what you’re looking for? You now what that is? It’s a dead thread.

by Anonymousreply 48November 7, 2022 4:29 PM

r48 you sound like a US enchanted MAGGOT....yeah bro Amurica #1

by Anonymousreply 49November 7, 2022 4:30 PM

[quote] I think DePape has gotten caught...ahem

He only got caught, because he committed a crime. What if he didn't commit a crime, he'd still be living in the USA

by Anonymousreply 50November 7, 2022 4:36 PM

A record number of Americans are crossing the southern border — to live in Mexico.

More than 8,000 US citizens were issued temporary resident visas to live in Mexico in the first nine months of this year, an 85% increase over the same period in 2019, Mexico’s Interior Ministry said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 7, 2022 4:38 PM

All these fkin Alec Baldwins. These cunts ain't going nowhere OP. Just talk.

by Anonymousreply 52November 7, 2022 4:39 PM

[quote]are you dense? You cannot just "up and move" to another country simply because you are unsatisfied with the government in the US. If you believe you can, try it....just be sure you can avoid the other country's immigration services and border control; you may have to move every day.....good luck...

What makes you think anyone is trying to do that??? Millions of people move abroad. There are many different ways of doing so. In general, one has to apply for residency from their home country. But you don't have to be a resident to move to a country for 3 months to decide if you like it enough to take that step. And there are other options, like getting a job offer and sponsor for a work permit which can eventually lead to a longer stay.

I very much doubt anyone here is planning to hop on a raft to Costa Rica to avoid border control and immigration.

by Anonymousreply 53November 7, 2022 4:42 PM

It's definitely a money thing. Usually announced by people who have the money or connections. This is a problem I have with the gay community; wealthy gay men who talk about their life like it's something every other gay man can relate to. They just assume other gay men have money. I've had some really assumptive things said to me related to money, travel, opportunities etc. The attitude of "Well if you want it, why don't you just get it?" I'm poor, I was on food stamps less than a year ago, and am cleaning vacation rentals and running errands to make ends meet. So no, some of us can't just pick up and move to another country.

by Anonymousreply 54November 7, 2022 4:42 PM

If you’re rich and famous you can live wherever you please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 7, 2022 4:45 PM

A helpful reminder that most refugees don't leave out of convenience, but because the country they live in is too dangerous to survive.

by Anonymousreply 56November 7, 2022 4:45 PM

If you need cash to relocate, just liquidate some of the stocks given to you by your parents, R54.

by Anonymousreply 57November 7, 2022 4:53 PM

OP never met my Swiss sugar daddy.

by Anonymousreply 58November 7, 2022 4:55 PM

r51 please refer to r54's response, which concisely supports my original thesis...OP

by Anonymousreply 59November 7, 2022 4:57 PM

r53 because I see this idea popping up in multiple topics on this forum.....simple as that......

by Anonymousreply 60November 7, 2022 4:58 PM

Yes you can. If you have skills and wherewithal.

by Anonymousreply 61November 7, 2022 4:59 PM

r61 no argument there, but you MAY not just jump up and take a flight there for the rest of your life; that is the OP's message.....people need to stop typing that kind of nonsense, lest some deluded gay up and tries that.....we are supposed to be supporting each other here........

by Anonymousreply 62November 7, 2022 5:04 PM

r61 you also CAN run out in the street and shoot the next passer-by in a car on your residential street; especially if you have the "skills and the wherewithal," to do it, but that is illegal too...respect the laws of whatever country you end up in, sneaking into a country and trying to live there without going through proper channels is inadvisable ...

by Anonymousreply 63November 7, 2022 5:07 PM

^^^^^^and quite illegal^^^^^^

by Anonymousreply 64November 7, 2022 5:09 PM

I don’t think anyone imagined there’d be no paperwork involved. But the fact is people have emigrated all over the world and those with money can go just about anywhere they would want to.

by Anonymousreply 65November 7, 2022 5:19 PM

r65 You did not really, carefully read OP's original post...

by Anonymousreply 66November 7, 2022 5:20 PM

As much as I'd love to I can never visit the states anymore.

by Anonymousreply 67November 7, 2022 5:24 PM

This hot guy is a nomad I've been following on IG for years. For his travel pics and, well, other points of interest. He may even be r25 as he's traveled a lot in South America this year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 7, 2022 6:15 PM

Of all the advice threads on DL, the ‘moving abroad’ threads are some of the cringiest with the worst practical advice. The people who have actually done it for real are usually ignored and drowned out by fantasists who did a summer abroad university program in 1978 or ‘faux pats’ who just essentially take long vacations on tourist entries. I blame films and tv like ‘Eat, Pray, Love’, ‘Emily in Paris’, Ted Lasso’, etc where moving or living abroad just magically happens without all the hurdles the OP brings up. There’s also the hurdle of age which leaves just retirement visa options for most EGs where you usually have to buy property and fund your own medical costs.

by Anonymousreply 69November 7, 2022 6:46 PM

If Trump should win again, you'd think that some Americans would be able to claim refugee status in Canada. When he was pres before, refugees and asylum seekers crossed into Canada from the American side and some of those were able to stay.

by Anonymousreply 70November 7, 2022 6:58 PM

I’ve a green card and a European passport so I can move between 29 countries any time I want.

by Anonymousreply 71November 7, 2022 7:10 PM

I’d be interested to know how many of these would be American political refugees have traveled abroad before (and I don’t count an Atlantis cruise or getting a root canal in Tijuana). Some of you may find that you’re not cut out to suddenly move to Portugal or Ecuador or wherever. As for the poster above who said that one of the attractions of Ecuador was that there are many American expats there - not planning on mixing with the locals, are you?

by Anonymousreply 72November 7, 2022 7:27 PM

R66–why are you pretending to be different people? You are OP and every post defending OP. It’s obvious without looking. (But I looked).

by Anonymousreply 73November 7, 2022 7:28 PM

I CAN up and move to another country!

I hold dual citizenship.

Ciao!

by Anonymousreply 74November 7, 2022 8:51 PM

Last week I read in the NYT that Canada is aiming to attract 1.45 million immigrants between now and 2025 which is an increase from the previous policy on immigration.

by Anonymousreply 75November 7, 2022 8:57 PM

I have an ex who wants me to come live with him in Southeast Asia. He had to leave for visa reasons and we never write broke it off. Should I take the plunge? I'm exhausted by the stupid noxious politics which will only get worse if the GOP wins.

by Anonymousreply 76November 7, 2022 8:59 PM

Southeast Asia is a big region. Where?

by Anonymousreply 77November 7, 2022 9:00 PM

Thailand.

by Anonymousreply 78November 7, 2022 9:02 PM

Thailand has had sufficient of foreigners. They made residency requirements more stringent.

by Anonymousreply 79November 7, 2022 9:07 PM

Maybe we can get married here first. Would that make it easier?

by Anonymousreply 80November 7, 2022 9:10 PM

Have you been to Thailand R76?

by Anonymousreply 81November 7, 2022 9:15 PM

No i haven't.

by Anonymousreply 82November 7, 2022 9:42 PM

You might want to go for a holiday first - it’s an amazing country but, as with many countries, there can be an element of culture shock.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 83November 7, 2022 10:45 PM

What’s the rule in Canada? My grandfather was Canadian. Can I get citizenship?

by Anonymousreply 84November 7, 2022 10:49 PM

R69 Yeah, I've often found the posts from such fantasists to be quite eye-rolling.

by Anonymousreply 85November 7, 2022 11:53 PM

R84, was your grandfather a Canadian when you were born? If so, then yes, and you may already be a Canadian.

by Anonymousreply 86November 7, 2022 11:55 PM

R14 " I've actually gone through the process to request Canadian residency"

No, sweetheart, you did not.

by Anonymousreply 87November 8, 2022 12:26 AM

[quote] What's appealing about moving to Portugal?

Paella

by Anonymousreply 88November 8, 2022 12:30 AM

All you people who are planning to move - you all voted in the last election, right? And will vote in the mid-terms?

Just curious…

by Anonymousreply 89November 8, 2022 12:50 AM

R88 it’s all the cock and being surrounded by expat Americans.

by Anonymousreply 90November 8, 2022 12:52 AM

R87 would you like me to email you the results of my CELPIP test?

by Anonymousreply 91November 8, 2022 1:21 AM

I have some married friends that moved from the US to Costa Rica a few years ago. They spent at least 3 years before that (starting well before the 2016 election) carefully planning the move, including several trips to CR to make strategic contacts there. They moved primarily for the lower healthcare costs and costs of living in general. They're very happy there, but they are both adventurists. They deal with bats, swarms of bugs, reptiles, a nearby volcano that spews acid, unpaved roads, daily intermittent internet connectivity, power outages during many of the afternoon rain storms, high humidity 24/7, hurricanes, and I could go on and on. That said, the natural beauty of CR is stunning, the Costa Rican people are welcoming to immigrants, and there are many US ex-pats there if one wants some familiarity.

But then there are the unexpected events. The wife in this couple runs a small business that needed closing up in the US after she and her husband moved to CR. She returned to the US just in time for one of the global COVID surges. She was unable to get back to CR for SIX MONTHS. It was a nightmare for her and her husband. So, no matter how much one plans, moving to another country sometimes isn't easy.

by Anonymousreply 92November 8, 2022 1:23 AM

I watched a video on YouTube about Californians moving to Portugal. Apparently, Portugal is the easiest of the Western European countries to expatriate to. The dollar goes really far there so it's very affordable. Unfortunately, the natives are getting priced out of many neighborhoods due to the influx of middle-class Americans.

by Anonymousreply 93November 8, 2022 1:37 AM

I had looked into Panama quite a bit due to its welcoming of U.S. retirees and excellent medical care. Unfortunately, a load of neo-confederates moved there during the Obama presidency and the communities I am most interested in are as Q-nutty as a red-state rural county fair.

If you're serious enough to research housing and healthcare, do yourself a favor and find the local English language message board before you fall in love and find yourself surrounded by magats in paradise.

by Anonymousreply 94November 8, 2022 1:59 AM

Thank you r83 for your suggestion!

by Anonymousreply 95November 8, 2022 2:34 AM

R94 - Republicans don't flee America. Smells like bullshit to me, libtard.

by Anonymousreply 96November 8, 2022 11:50 AM

Imagine being as arrogantly ignorant as r96. 😱🤣

by Anonymousreply 97November 8, 2022 3:19 PM

r73 because I specifically like to irritate you..........and the "don't use too many ellipses nazi."

by Anonymousreply 98November 8, 2022 3:23 PM

In moving countries, you simply trade one set of problems for another set of problems. Sometimes those problems are far worse than the ones from which you fled. In the end, you simply decide which set of problems you're willing to put up with.

One thing about moving to another country, you get perspective about what you had and what you left, and appreciate both. Or you don't, and realize that where you are is good enough, and with time, you appreciate where/what you've moved to. You know you've made the correct decision when you no longer compare what you left with what you moved to, and that you can no longer remember what where you left is like or why you remained there for so long.

by Anonymousreply 99November 8, 2022 4:20 PM

r99 wells said

by Anonymousreply 100November 8, 2022 5:06 PM

^^^well

by Anonymousreply 101November 8, 2022 5:06 PM

OP is tunnel-visioned and never leaves her trailer.

by Anonymousreply 102November 8, 2022 5:18 PM

OP is a brilliant mind...

by Anonymousreply 103November 8, 2022 5:30 PM

OP, you’d be surprised what you can do if you have money.

by Anonymousreply 104November 8, 2022 5:33 PM

OP is a really good-looking guy and a GREAT lover...

by Anonymousreply 105November 8, 2022 5:44 PM

I like OP, you like OP, then really... what's not to like??

by Anonymousreply 106November 8, 2022 5:45 PM

Of course you can 'up and move' to another country, OP.

It's simply a matter of money.

by Anonymousreply 107November 8, 2022 5:47 PM

I did a TV movie about a mail order bride. I could play OP as a male order bride. As soon as I'm done my triumphant musical film version of my triumphant Tony Award winning Broadway triumph, Sunset Boulevard.

by Anonymousreply 108November 8, 2022 5:47 PM

OP loves you all...

by Anonymousreply 109November 8, 2022 5:47 PM

They like me, they really, really like me!!!!!.......OP

by Anonymousreply 110November 8, 2022 5:48 PM

OP leads such a fascinating life, and drives such a nice car. His puppy is just adorable too.

by Anonymousreply 111November 8, 2022 5:49 PM

I think OP is super!!!

by Anonymousreply 112November 8, 2022 5:51 PM

Dear god, of course one can pick up and move to another country from the USA. There are many methods.

Thankfully most Americans are like OP - poorly informed beyond belief - to do so.

by Anonymousreply 113November 8, 2022 5:59 PM

R84 if one of your parents was born in Canada, you are entitled to Canadian citizenship. The process is complicated and takes about a year. Hire a Canadian law firm so you don’t need a do over. Add six months and three more documents for each adoption if you and/or the parent is an adoptee.

If not, but your parent who is the child of the Canadian citizen is still alive they can get citizenship, move to Canada and then sponsor you for residency. After you’ve been a resident for a few years you can apply for citizenship. I figure that would be about 7 years jiggs dinner to brake apple.

The Filipino ex-Pat community is super magatty.

Costa Rica, you just need to leave for a few days every three months if you are retired. If you need to work it is more complicated.

by Anonymousreply 114November 8, 2022 6:10 PM

[quote]And you CAN just turn up in a country and make it happen and find ways to stay there if it works for you.

It does indeed happen in some countries. Student visas, retirement visas, visas that demonstrate financial self-sufficiency are all comparatively easy foot-in-the-door ways of doing it. In some countries you can take courses to acquire proficiency in the language long enough to qualify for other visas. It varies entirely by country but I know many people who traveled to a country, decided they wanted to stay, and through visas and residence permits (likewise with various limits and rules) were permanent residents on a path to citizenship within s few years. No, it's not an option everywhere, but the fact is that many countries to which Americans might like to move have ways of making it happen -- and ways that don't involve suitcases full of money. Golden visas, retirement, investment and other visas have cists that vary widely. Affordable for everyone? No. Unaffordable for all but multimillionaires? No.

The fact is that few Americans do this. It is estimated that about 9.4M Americans live outside the U.S. The top 11 countries (México #1 at 1.5M) account for about 5M. Other countries have surprisingly few: Ireland has 17,000 despite giving citizenship to anyone with an Irish parent or grandparent; Spain, mentioned in a post above, has <40,000 despite being on early list of great places to retire (and in terms of low cost and high quality living )

Few Americans do it (2.8%) which makes it seem more difficult (and costly) than it is in many places.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115November 8, 2022 6:12 PM

I think OP is a brilliant and good-looking person.

by Anonymousreply 116November 8, 2022 10:44 PM

There should be a database, at least for first world countries, where people could find someone that completely matches themselves and then be allowed to change places. So I'm 19, have one year of college and want to live in England. Someone in England is 19, has one year of college and wants to live in the US. So we're allowed to switch places. Simple, really.

by Anonymousreply 117November 9, 2022 12:28 AM

R117 great idea contingent upon anyone willingly wanting to move to USA at the moment, in addition to anyone willingly want to welcome an American into their country. Why would they?

by Anonymousreply 118November 9, 2022 1:42 AM

I think if you're retired then it's pretty easy to fuck off to another country. The tricky part is when you have to get a job. OP sounds jealous.

by Anonymousreply 119November 9, 2022 2:42 AM

Exactly, R119.

OP is among those who want to make it seem am impossibility for any but the filthy rich.

Of course there are difficulties: paperwork, bureaucracy, confusion, uncertainties, supporting evidence to be assembled, fees, ancillary costs, waiting periods... and all those just to focus on the "getting there" aspects. It's more complicated than getting a dog license. It's usually a commitment of years if you want to establish permanent residence status or citizenship. And it's easier if you're not poor as piss. These are obvious things.

It's obvious, too, that more people discuss the possibility than ever pursue it actively. Even it were as easy as showing up at a country's customs/immigration desk, signing your name and accepting a complimentary croissant, I'm not sure that the U.S. population would shrink appreciably.

Changing one's country isn't as easy as changing one's underwear, yet OP has his in a twist worrying about these apocryphal people who think that it is. Talking about what what one might do and making it happen...most people realize there is a difference. And that element of serious intent is probably a necessary element to success in a process that has some hurdles but is done often enough by a wife range if people.

by Anonymousreply 120November 9, 2022 6:24 AM

Pay a Euro to marry you, boys.

by Anonymousreply 121November 9, 2022 7:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!