Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It's time to reassess the career of the wonderful JOAN FONTAINE

Marvellous actress Joan Fontaine has become one of my favorites, with age and maturity. She's remembered for all the classics, of course, but she delivered top-notch performances in later movies such as ISLAND IN THE SUN, A CERTAIN SMILE, THE WITCHES and many more . Which is your favorite Joan Fontaine performance ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134December 11, 2022 4:32 PM

Should have won the Oscar for Rebecca, no question. We didn't need that homophobic non-actress Ginger with an Academy Award

by Anonymousreply 1November 7, 2022 10:40 AM

True that r1. I love Fontaine. REBECCA was a great movie. KITTY FOYLE, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 2November 7, 2022 10:46 AM

1933: May Robson for Lady For A Day

1935: Katherine Hepburn for Alice Adams

1936: Carol Lombard for My Man Godfrey

1937: Great Garbo for Camille

1940: Joan Fontaine for Rebecca

1941: Bette Davis for The Little Foxes

by Anonymousreply 3November 7, 2022 10:48 AM

She was great as Vi in Grease.

by Anonymousreply 4November 7, 2022 10:50 AM

What's with her twisted jawline? It became very obvious in the 60s.

Was she attempting a Mona Lisa Smile?

Or was she attempting a sophisticated sneering disdainful New York smile?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 7, 2022 10:50 AM

Watch thief!

by Anonymousreply 6November 7, 2022 10:51 AM

I'm not sure about her first husband.

Was he a good investment? Was he pretty or dull?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 7, 2022 10:56 AM

Brian Aherne was one of Katharine Cornell’s favorite leading men.

by Anonymousreply 8November 7, 2022 10:59 AM

Brian Aherne and Joan never appeared together. Were they owned by different studios?

by Anonymousreply 9November 7, 2022 11:20 AM

Must we?

by Anonymousreply 10November 7, 2022 11:23 AM

She was pretty but not beautiful. She was never interesting or complex. She had little talent. Her best role is really as Peggy in “ The Woman”. Burt she was never a good or great actress. Wooden, pretentious looks are not acting but posing. She was definitely a poser.

by Anonymousreply 11November 7, 2022 11:45 AM

She was very subtle in ISLAND IN THE SUN, for instance. When she first hits on Harry Belafonte, she's drunk. Not overtly so. But you can tell it's a chronic habit. wonderfully done. and she holds the screen beautifully. Not everyone could have existed in front of young Elizabeth Taylor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 7, 2022 2:09 PM

Interviewed by DD

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 7, 2022 2:10 PM

oups try again

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 7, 2022 2:11 PM

Brian was hot in Sylvia Scarlett

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 7, 2022 2:15 PM

I was never a big fan as her performances in simpering roles - including REBECCA - grow tiresome after a while.

Playing a bitch in BORN TO BE BAD was a nice change, and while it's not a terribly good movie, she's good at being bad.

THE WITCHES is just awful except for Kay Walsh.

by Anonymousreply 16November 7, 2022 2:34 PM

THE WITCHES is delicious and hilarious. She's extremely convincing as the schoolteacher, and her nervous breakdown during the interview with Alec McCowen is a masterclass

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 7, 2022 2:39 PM

she was Joan de Beauvoir de Havilland, daughter of Walter de Havilland, and Lilian Augusta Ruse de Havilland Fontaine , first cousin to Captain Sir Geoffrey de Havilland, OM, CBE, AFC, RDI, FRAeS , and Hereward de Havillland , from Havilland Hall. hardly a poser

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 7, 2022 3:03 PM

I loved her in THE CONSTANT NYMPH and LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN. She was quite believable as teenaged girls in both films. She was a better actor than people gave her credit for. But not as ambitious as big sister Olivia.

by Anonymousreply 19November 7, 2022 3:06 PM

they're both extremely gifted thespians, but Olivia had a steely quallity simmering underneath the sweetness that gave her the edge. and she was, of course, the great beauty. But Joan is a slow burn. if you watch her lesser known movies, she's very surprising, and can really give layers to a trite role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 7, 2022 3:12 PM

She was a better actress and also prettier than Olivia.

by Anonymousreply 21November 7, 2022 4:59 PM

[quote]the wonderful JOAN FONTAINE

Who?

by Anonymousreply 22November 7, 2022 6:02 PM

R15 I wonder if George made a pass at Brian on those sunny sets at Malibu?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 7, 2022 7:57 PM

[quote] It's time to reassess the career of the wonderful JOAN FONTAINE

Why is It time to reassess?

Will we say ANYTHING new?

by Anonymousreply 24November 7, 2022 8:02 PM

Joan played opposite the ten most eligible men for a full decade!

So why did she appear in a supporting role in this English movie.

She got third billing underneath the superranuated Bob Taylor and the teenage sexpot Liz Taylor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 7, 2022 8:06 PM

Joan was such a hoot!! She stated that she had to tell Cary Grant that SHE was the star of Suspicion, not him!

by Anonymousreply 26November 7, 2022 9:00 PM

[quote] SHE was the star of Suspicion,

But she was so very, very limp.

I preferred spunky Isobel Jeans as the fast-driving, high kicking, racing-buddy Mrs Newsham

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 7, 2022 9:09 PM

[quote] So why did she appear in a supporting role in this English movie.

joan was a very practical gal. She never touched the bulk of her money. She worked when she wanted to buy something. That enabled her to support Olie.

by Anonymousreply 28November 7, 2022 9:52 PM

[quote] spunky Isobel Jeans

Isabel jeans did some good muff diving session with Vivien Leigh

by Anonymousreply 29November 7, 2022 9:53 PM

She gave very good Kim Catrall in TENDER IS THE NIGHT. She served a terrific bitch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 7, 2022 9:55 PM

[quote] That enabled her to support Olie.

Are you talking about Collier Young? There's not much on him on Wiki except it implies this film was real depiction of his fast-talking duplicity and their menage-a-trois.

He left Ida's connubial bed and immediately got into Joan's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 7, 2022 9:59 PM

[quote]I wonder if George made a pass at Brian

leading men in George movies let him take his pleasure and weren't in the least compromised

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 7, 2022 10:01 PM

No R31, whenever Olivia was in dire straights she would turn to Joan for financial support. Joan always obliged, and Liv' never forgave her for it

by Anonymousreply 33November 7, 2022 10:02 PM

if you see her back to back in A CERTAIN SMILE and TENDER IS THE NIGHT you'll be astonished by her range and ease

by Anonymousreply 34November 7, 2022 10:07 PM

both sisters loved salami

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 7, 2022 10:10 PM

wonder who he fucked first

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 7, 2022 10:13 PM

[quote] TENDER IS THE NIGHT. She served a terrific bitch

But it was still a supporting role.

If I was Joan's agent I would have demanded Joan be credited with a separate screen title "And Miss Joan Fontaine as Mrs So-and-so".

And I'd demand that the credit music swell up at the appearance at her name.

by Anonymousreply 37November 7, 2022 10:24 PM

Is Joan of the Fontaines of Trevi or Trivoli?

by Anonymousreply 38November 7, 2022 11:03 PM

'Fontaine' is a very beautiful, evocative surname.

And so is 'de Havilland'.

by Anonymousreply 39November 7, 2022 11:07 PM

R31 Her second husband may have good teeth but I wouldn't trust him.

He got rid of first wife, that working-class broad named Ida, and stepped up a notch and got the classy Joan.

After that he produced that TV show 'Wild, Wild West' which was nothing by flirty shots of Bob's groin and buttocks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 8, 2022 3:54 AM

So did any of you Eldergays of New York see Joanie and Tony back in '63?

Did they whisper the word 'homo-sexual'?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 8, 2022 4:19 AM

I remember reading the book Before The Fact and it was SO different from the movie Suspicion. The heroine just let herself be poisoned.

by Anonymousreply 42November 8, 2022 5:00 AM

She acquits herself with class and elegance in her foray into hagsploitation, 'The Witches' aka 'The Devil's Own'.

by Anonymousreply 43November 8, 2022 5:09 AM

R43 Hitchcock wanted Cary Grant to poison Joan. The studio said No.

But Joan was so besotted that, even after guessing his intentions, she consents to drink the poisoned glass of milk he brings her. But, to protect society, she has first written a letter to her mother, incriminating Johnnie.

At the end of the film, Johnnie, whistling, would have been seen dropping the letter in a mail-box (which sounds very similar to the brilliant English film 'Kind Hearts and Coronets').

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 8, 2022 6:39 AM

Suspicion is an underrated masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 45November 8, 2022 6:43 AM

I like it too, Beaky. I like the weird shadows on the stairway and the fact that Hitchcock placed an incandescent light globe inside the glass of milk.

But Joan is so very limp (just as limp as in her previous film) and she just wilts when cocksure Cary abuses her with verbal abuse calling her Monkey-Face!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 8, 2022 6:53 AM

R46, She wasn’t “limp”. She was in character.

by Anonymousreply 47November 8, 2022 6:56 AM

Olivia is in here. She had posted twice. Why are no questions addressed to her?

by Anonymousreply 48November 8, 2022 7:02 AM

Because, R48, Olivia already has 3 other Datalounge threads devoted to her and her issues.

by Anonymousreply 49November 8, 2022 7:09 AM

The ageless Bradford Dillman was in, among others, Secret Smile and The Way We Were.

by Anonymousreply 50November 8, 2022 7:17 AM

R50, And he was married to luscious Suzy Parker.

by Anonymousreply 51November 8, 2022 7:22 AM

She was Brian De Palma's first choice for the role of Margaret White in Carrie.

Thank goodness she turned it down because nobody would have been better than Piper Laurie.

by Anonymousreply 52November 8, 2022 7:27 AM

Ronald Reagan took my virginity.

by Anonymousreply 53November 8, 2022 7:38 AM

Suspicion doesn'tmake sense with that lame ending. It looks like the end was changed after the previews, because of the reactions on the audience cards

by Anonymousreply 54November 8, 2022 10:31 AM

I love the movie she did with Burt Lancaster, Kiss The Blood Off My Hands.

by Anonymousreply 55November 8, 2022 11:19 AM

[quote] Kiss The Blood Off My Hands.

(as Mr Grindrguy often tells me after he's FFed me.) Thaks, I'll check it out

by Anonymousreply 56November 8, 2022 11:22 AM

She and Deborah Kerr looked a lot alike, but imho Deborah was more beautiful and talented. They both did 'Tea and Sympathy' on the stage - DK did it first. Joan dated writer Peter Viertel in the late 1950s, and then he married Deborah in 1961.

by Anonymousreply 57November 8, 2022 12:29 PM

I love Deborah, but Joan could act circles around her. They play the same kind of character in BOUJOUR TRISTESSE and A CERTAIN SMILE both adapted from the same french novelist, and even though Deborah was, indeed more classically beautiful, Joan is the finer actress IMO. Deb could be the third De Haviland sister

by Anonymousreply 58November 8, 2022 12:33 PM

Fast forward through the parts where poor fat Mario Lanza is singing, and watch her destroy him in Anthony Mann's SERENADE (56). She also has the most fabulous wardrobe in this one, emphasizing her evident pride in her bare shoulders as she was turning 40.

by Anonymousreply 59November 8, 2022 12:48 PM

Joan and Olivia were both so round shouldered, why did she like showing them off?

by Anonymousreply 60November 8, 2022 12:51 PM

round shoulders were considered an asset back then. Certain body parts in a woman were markers of beauty. fine ankles, a thin waist, round shoulders, a beautiful back. Kim Novak was famous for her back, that's why Hitch filmed her in a backless black dress, in her first scene in Vertigo. When you see all the fat slobs in yoga pants of today, you wouldn't guess

by Anonymousreply 61November 8, 2022 5:13 PM

I watched TENDER IS THE NIGHT yesterday. Jennifer Jones was surprisingly good as the schizo heiress, and Joan was fantastic. the movie is a stinking pile of shit, and Jason Robarts jr is AWFUL. It's the second time I see him in a movie, after HURRICANE, and he sucked ass, balls, and scrotum. So pompous and boring. Why was he so highly regarded ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 8, 2022 5:16 PM

In the mid-50s, Joan prided herself on having fat-free shoulders and upper arms, and her designers prioritized it in their frocks for her.

by Anonymousreply 63November 8, 2022 5:25 PM

R61, Bob Hope once quipped that one could easily play pinochle on Doris Day’s protruding ass.

by Anonymousreply 64November 8, 2022 7:57 PM

I never cared for her, her phony voice, her smirky smile, or her hammy acting.

by Anonymousreply 65November 8, 2022 11:23 PM

R64 David Letterman (and others) made similar comments about being able to play chess on J-Lo's ass.

by Anonymousreply 66November 8, 2022 11:26 PM

[quote] her smirky smile

She calls it her Mona Lisa smiIe.

by Anonymousreply 67November 8, 2022 11:26 PM

[quote Jason Robards Jr… Why was he so highly regarded ?

He may have been sleeping with someone important; our eldergays will tell us. Some thought he was a new version of the recently deceased Humphrey Bogart.

[quote] Jason Robards Jr… he sucked ass, balls, and scrotum. So pompous and boring.

Are you talking about the character and not the actor who was pretending to be the character?

by Anonymousreply 68November 8, 2022 11:31 PM

[quote]He may have been sleeping with someone important; our eldergays will tell us. Some thought he was a new version of the recently deceased Humphrey Bogart.

Including Lauren Bacall, apparently. She up and married Robards.

by Anonymousreply 69November 9, 2022 1:18 AM

One of her better performances was selling Bufferin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70November 9, 2022 2:51 AM

[quote] When the daily pressures of being a woman bring on headache pain

! !

by Anonymousreply 71November 9, 2022 2:55 AM

I watched Rebecca the other day and cackled to myself about how funny it would be if, when Mrs de Winter is shown the portrait from which Rebecca copied her party outfit, the face in the painting was a portrait of HER SISTER, OLIVIA!

The Bigamist is an underrated film. Love the low slung LA locations and smoking on the Tour of the Stars Homes bus! Joan lives in SF! Ida lives in LA. Santa Claus works for adoption services.

by Anonymousreply 72November 9, 2022 3:26 AM

R68, I'm talking about the actor. Stiff as a board and not in the good way. And boy, does he love his own voice ! Pompous bore and pretense. no wonder he married Bacall. Mules disguised as horses both of them

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73November 9, 2022 12:50 PM

R65 = Olivia

by Anonymousreply 74November 9, 2022 12:50 PM

R70 thanks that was fabulous

by Anonymousreply 75November 9, 2022 12:52 PM

[quote] The Bigamist is an underrated film

I'll watch that tonight, thanks. I had no udea her career was so rich. And she co-starred everybody, from ty Power, to Gary and Cary, all the hunks . Anyone read her memoirs ? is it juicy ?

by Anonymousreply 76November 9, 2022 12:54 PM

about TENDER IS THE NIGHT. is Jill st John the worst actress who ever acted ? because she's even worse than in THE ROMAN SPRING OF MRS STONE, and I didn't think that was possible

by Anonymousreply 77November 9, 2022 1:01 PM

One of the worst r77. Always a bottom feeder of a starlet, like her bff Stefanie Powers. Never particularly talented or even ambitious. A knack for sucking the right cocks. St. John’s biggest claim to fame is being a Bond girl, and she was barely adequate in that. Hollywood is full of undertalented folks like that.

by Anonymousreply 78November 9, 2022 1:40 PM

How did she get cast in majors movies like that ? casting coach ok, but was she such a good lay that her blatant void of talent was overlooked ?? I hear that Vivien Leigh refused to speak to her during the entire shoot of TRSOMS

by Anonymousreply 79November 9, 2022 1:47 PM

Jill St. John was the eternal starlet. That is her claim to fame, rather than any of her actual work. Not laughably bad but not very good either.

by Anonymousreply 80November 9, 2022 2:01 PM

And Jill had one of those terrible nose jobs they were doing in the sixties…that ski nose tip.

by Anonymousreply 81November 9, 2022 2:07 PM

[quote] Not laughably bad

did you see these movies ? she's ludicrously bad

by Anonymousreply 82November 9, 2022 2:11 PM

I thought she was rather good in that laxative commercial where she talked about how hard it was for her to shit.

by Anonymousreply 83November 9, 2022 3:35 PM

R81 Jill st John without her nose job would never have ben an actress. Ugly, Just ugly

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84November 9, 2022 7:44 PM

[quote]Maxwell House commercial featuring Jason Robards Jr. and Lauren Bacall.

When too much tension fueled by caffeine showed on Bacall's face, Robards dumped her and she dumped Maxwell House in favor of High Point. She loved the flava!

by Anonymousreply 85November 9, 2022 7:46 PM

R85 it's deKKKKKhafeinated, and the flavah is mOOOHvelous

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86November 9, 2022 7:51 PM

I don't know her

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87November 9, 2022 8:03 PM

Olivia married a novelist, Marcus Goodrich. Joan said "All I know about him that he's had four wives and written one book. Too bad it's not the other way around." She had a scathing wit. I thought she was marvelous. Her book "No Bed of Roses", was fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 88November 9, 2022 8:22 PM

R88 does she spill th tea ? who did she fuck ? who was the best lay ?

by Anonymousreply 89November 9, 2022 8:25 PM

[quote] the best lay

Well-bred ladies born a century ago don't discuss such things. Nor do they, I suspect, do such things.

by Anonymousreply 90November 9, 2022 10:38 PM

[quote] Nor do they, I suspect, do such things

Stewart Granger said Deborah Kerr blew him at the back of his car. We've established that Joan was a lot like Deborah

by Anonymousreply 91November 9, 2022 10:41 PM

[quote] Stewart Granger said

Stewart Granger lost his star status in the beginning of the 1960s. He was unemployed and forced to appear in a sit-down role in that Angela Lansbury TV show. He was diagnosed with lung cancer in the 70s after smoking 60 cigarettes a day for 40 years. He had tuberculosis.

He tried hard to promote his memoirs in 1981 but was obviously drunk when he lashed out at reporters, claiming they were ghouls wanting to find if he was dying or not.

So I wouldn't believe his undocumented gossip.

by Anonymousreply 92November 9, 2022 11:04 PM

I enjoy Joan Fontaine but when RKO attempted to make her a dance partner for Fred Astaire as a break from the Fred and Ginger series, it didn't exactly work out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93November 10, 2022 12:18 AM

R80, Jill made a bee line for Robert Wagner almost immediately after Natalie Wood’s death and they began dating.

Natalie’s 11 year old daughter called him out for hooking up so soon after her mother’s drowning.

by Anonymousreply 94November 10, 2022 12:56 AM

R93 thank you for this little gem. She's not the best dancer, but she tries so hard. Incredible how many superstar leading men she had. I don't understand the de Haviland sisters story . did they just walk in and say, "we want to be movie stars " and the studios said "ok", and then they just collected starring roles and academy awards until old age ? WTF ? no scandal, nothing

by Anonymousreply 95November 10, 2022 10:08 AM

The scandal was that they didn’t get along.

by Anonymousreply 96November 10, 2022 10:49 AM

[quote] Kiss The Blood Off My Hands

A lurid title for a thoroughly implausible story.

A Canadian nutcase-punk lives on the edge of the law and (for some unknown reason) pursues the feeble Joan Fontaine who (for some unknown reason) allows herself to be ensnared in his downward path to degradation.

Joan gets top billing but doesn't do much except faff and flutter through lots of poorly-lit studio sets. Bob Newtown is the most interesting element as he menaces her as she wears her twin-set minus pearls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97November 10, 2022 11:19 AM

I remember reading JF's autobiography, and learning that Conrad Nigel (big star at MGM in the early 30s) deflowered her in a most violent and ungentlemanly manner.

by Anonymousreply 98November 10, 2022 12:36 PM

It is no LADY IN A CAGE. R97.

by Anonymousreply 99November 10, 2022 12:49 PM

She read fir the part of Melanie in GWTW and arrived after attending a society luncheon dressed in silver sables, George Cukor admonished, “Much too chic for Melanie!” and Fontaine suggested her sister!

by Anonymousreply 100November 11, 2022 2:01 AM

She was a surprise casting in Rebecca. Hollywood thought she was wooden and inexpressive but Hitchcock, I think, wanted her and Selznick signed her. There was a lot of competition for the role. Vivien Leigh tested for it and Margaret Sullivan. Anne Baxter had the best audition but she was too young at 16. Fontaine fought about money with Selznick that one Christmas he sent her a geranium! It’s all in David Thomson’s masterly Selznick biography, “Showman.”

by Anonymousreply 101November 11, 2022 2:19 AM

[quote] Conrad Nigel

Hmmm?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102November 11, 2022 3:07 AM

^ Conrad was the Jude Law of his time

by Anonymousreply 103November 11, 2022 10:25 AM

her test for Rebecca is sublime

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104November 11, 2022 10:25 AM

I never much cared for her after Jane Eyre, but that performance plus the two Hitchcocks, she was amazing in. Then she got grand and I lost interest.

by Anonymousreply 105November 11, 2022 11:39 AM

Her turn in VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA is hilarious. I don't want to spoil it, just watch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106November 11, 2022 11:42 AM

“Tender is the Night” was a longtime passion project for David Selznick and Jennifer Jones, but although he wasn’t the producer of the film, he still bombarded the studio with memos before, during and after production.

Selznick was not happy with the casting of Jason Robards, Jill St. John and Tom Ewell in the film. I can’t remember his choices for the men’s roles, but he wanted Jane Fonda for Rosemary instead of Jill St. John.

by Anonymousreply 107November 11, 2022 11:56 AM

anyone would have been better than St John. She doesn't ruin the movie, because Robarts JR and Ewell do that already, But it's a shame. Jones is pretty good. joan has a smallish, but memorable part; Also why did Selznick okeyed the long shots with the modern buildings ??? that movie is a mess. sometimes they wear jazz era frocks, sometimes it's pure 60s, and the concrete towers in the backgroung won't do. Selznick was slipping

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108November 11, 2022 12:01 PM

per wikipedia : (Jane Fonda had wanted to play Rosemary; William Holden, Henry Fonda and Christopher Plummer were considered for Dick)

Henry Fonda- too old. plummer - too fey. Maybe Holden would have been a good dick ( and I bet he was too)

by Anonymousreply 109November 11, 2022 12:07 PM

[quote] she got grand and I lost interest.

I really love her in ISLAND IN THE SUN, THE WITCHES, A CERTAIN SMILE . love her 60's style

also are you the ghost of Olivia ???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110November 11, 2022 12:24 PM

She was too old for Belafomte.

by Anonymousreply 111November 11, 2022 12:56 PM

She received death threats for her role in IITS.

She and Jones were both too old for their roles in TITN.

by Anonymousreply 112November 11, 2022 1:08 PM

[quote] plummer - too fey

I will quote you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113November 11, 2022 8:36 PM

[quote] She received death threats for her role in IITS.

not surprised, she was quite brave to take that part

by Anonymousreply 114November 11, 2022 10:41 PM

R114 Fox forced her take that part— after they spent so much time grooming her to be virginal in the previous decade.

by Anonymousreply 115November 11, 2022 10:56 PM

how good is the movie she made with bob hope ? is it fun ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116November 11, 2022 10:58 PM

Joan's grandson in still in California.

He's changed his name, of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117November 11, 2022 11:10 PM

R117 what are you even talking about ?!?! proof ?

by Anonymousreply 118November 11, 2022 11:12 PM

R118 He's changed his name, of course. So did his father.

It's common practice in the movie industry.

by Anonymousreply 119November 12, 2022 12:01 AM

that's no proof. there is no way a De haviland, from Havilland Hall would do that kind of things. I'm clutching my pearls really hard here

by Anonymousreply 120November 12, 2022 12:07 AM

Dear R120, clutch as all those pearls as you may, poor Joan was appearing in some rubbish in her latter years and even appearing TV commercials.

A girl (and her grandson) needs to eat.

I suspect his pseudonym "Ash" may be a hidden reference to one of Joan's roles. They were both ash blonds.

by Anonymousreply 121November 12, 2022 4:55 AM

where in the world do you have any indication that this twat is Joan's grandson ? that's completely random.

by Anonymousreply 122November 12, 2022 11:17 AM

Joan was one of the most talented actresses ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs.

by Anonymousreply 123November 12, 2022 11:58 AM

R53 Sin never dies.

by Anonymousreply 124November 12, 2022 12:06 PM

Even if it's a prank, the grandson thing is more fun than any of Joan's mannered performances.

by Anonymousreply 125November 12, 2022 12:29 PM

R123, What pain, other than a custody battle over her daughter?

by Anonymousreply 126November 12, 2022 1:22 PM

Pain? Joan knew pain. She said once that giving birth was like "shitting a bowling ball." God love her...

by Anonymousreply 127November 12, 2022 1:35 PM

Joan’s mother sounded like a rotten cunt.

by Anonymousreply 128November 12, 2022 4:01 PM

R123 is the "good heart troll".

They have repeated this fake good heart schtick at least four times.

by Anonymousreply 129November 12, 2022 9:32 PM

I like Joan a lot but I tend to believe once they were adults, she was more the problem rather than Olivia. Joan was neglected and isolated as kid due to illness. That kind of situation often leads to narcissism. She was in her element performing for the public (watch all her interviews, she was a great guest) but was said to be a cold mother.

by Anonymousreply 130November 13, 2022 12:14 AM

[quote] she … was said to be a cold mother.

By which husband?

Perhaps she was a 'cold mother' to the son who produced Ash Taylor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131November 13, 2022 12:48 AM

Joan has no sons, only two daughters, one of whom is adopted.

by Anonymousreply 132November 13, 2022 10:47 AM

R127: She also knew Bufferin for the pain of being a woman

by Anonymousreply 133November 13, 2022 12:30 PM

A CERTAIN SMILE is available on YouTube…

Nice glossy melodrama…perfect for chilly Sundays like today…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134December 11, 2022 4:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!