Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Another Wonderful and Delicious Way to Prepare Chicken Thighs

Last night I made the most delicious [bold] Chicken Fricassee with Lemon and Rosemary. [/bold]

A "fricassee" is a two-step cooking process of a sauté followed by a braise. Many versions include cream in the sauce, but this one is Abruzzi Style and the sauce is very light, consisting of white wine, the juices and fond from the chicken, fresh rosemary, and garlic. After the chicken thighs are browned well in olive oil and butter until they are golden brown and crispy. They are then slowly simmered/braised in the above. After 50-minutes of slowly cooking (covered but with the lid slightly askew), the sauce is finished with chicken stock, lemon zest, and lemon juice.

Absolutely delicious served with couscous/rice/orzo and sautéed string beans.

by Anonymousreply 54December 26, 2022 6:13 PM

I know you get lots of abuse Greg but I just want to say that I for one enjoy your food posts and appreciate your passion.

by Anonymousreply 1November 5, 2022 2:29 PM

[quote] I know you get lots of abuse Greg but I just want to say that I for one enjoy your food posts and appreciate your passion.

Thank you, R1, I appreciate it.

Who knew that sharing really good suggestions, recipes, and procedures for cooking would make me such a target!

by Anonymousreply 2November 5, 2022 2:37 PM

Thanks, Greg. This is an economical meal. This part of the bird is still inexpensive.

by Anonymousreply 3November 5, 2022 2:37 PM

[quote] Thanks, Greg. This is an economical meal. This part of the bird is still inexpensive.

That's right. Chicken thighs are not only delicious (when prepared the correct way) but they are very inexpensive and can often be found on sale. They are among the most economical and tasty things one can cook.

by Anonymousreply 4November 5, 2022 2:40 PM

[Quote]Absolutely delicious served with couscous/rice/orzo

But what was it served with?

by Anonymousreply 5November 5, 2022 3:03 PM

cum of sum yung guy, eose

by Anonymousreply 6November 5, 2022 3:25 PM

Greg, you’re a fine man. I love you.

by Anonymousreply 7November 5, 2022 3:32 PM

[quote] But what was it served with?

I made a rice pilaf. Rice is good because the lovely light sauce gets absorbed by the rice and makes it delicious! Later on I will share a proper recipe for this chicken dish. It's easy and really good.

by Anonymousreply 8November 5, 2022 3:39 PM

[quote] Greg, you’re a fine man. I love you.

R7, you are a prince. Thank you. There are so many haters out here. Nice to know there are also nice, civilized, kind people. Seriously.

xo

by Anonymousreply 9November 5, 2022 3:41 PM

Chicken thighs cost less than a Big Mac.

by Anonymousreply 10November 8, 2022 1:46 PM

I had frozen pizza but I heated it up first.

by Anonymousreply 11November 8, 2022 1:50 PM

Before you eat Greg’s wonderful chicken, I suggest you go vote!

by Anonymousreply 12November 8, 2022 1:52 PM

I've tried with chicken thighs but I just don't like the taste of them. I wish I did. Far more economical.

by Anonymousreply 13November 8, 2022 2:13 PM

Please give us a break. You’re getting increasingly desperate and it’s not pretty.

by Anonymousreply 14November 8, 2022 2:14 PM

R14, who do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 15November 8, 2022 2:14 PM

Make a blog already. Be sure to frau it up with 3 paragraphs of preamble on how your ex-lover's step-mom's former dog walker's brother-in-law thought of your dish! Delish!

by Anonymousreply 16November 8, 2022 2:29 PM

Grow up, R16. I'm sure you add lots of value to DL.

by Anonymousreply 17November 8, 2022 2:36 PM

HEY R16 - my ex-lover's step-mom's former dog walker's brother-in-law thinks you're a colossal douche.

by Anonymousreply 18November 8, 2022 2:44 PM

You're perfectly welcome here on DL, Greg, but wouldn't it make more sense to get a Youtube channel? Then your classic recipes and dishes would be preserved for posterity, or until you took them down. And you could delete unflattering comments, too.

by Anonymousreply 19November 8, 2022 2:49 PM

Greg, Thank You, that is dinner tonight!! Flying back home after leaving Wash. DC

I cannot fry chicken, but I can cook it any other way (LOVE CHIX THIGHS) My neighbor just made lots of Zucchini& Eggplant noodles so we will make extra sauce

DO NOT listen to the other personalities in your head here on DL!! You are perfect just the way you are.

by Anonymousreply 20November 8, 2022 2:57 PM

In all honesty, R19, while I appreciate your words of welcome, they are a bit late—I've been a DL contributor since 1995. Furthermore, I have no interest in a YouTube channel. I prefer that the unflattering comments be preserved for posterity.

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 21November 8, 2022 3:00 PM

Hi Phillywhore (R20)! Thank you for your nice words of encouragement. I will post some thoughts about this yummy way to prepare chicken thighs in a bit. You'll love them!

by Anonymousreply 22November 8, 2022 3:03 PM

Greg, this is a wonderful recipe. My father used to make it when I was a kid, though with the whole chicken.

Your detractors are idiots, morons, and assholes who probably alternate Burger King with Taco Bell every night, and for a treat, go to Cracker Barrel.

by Anonymousreply 23November 8, 2022 3:07 PM

Proper recipe please. I need to make this tonight.

by Anonymousreply 24November 8, 2022 3:08 PM

[bold] GREG'S TRULY DELICIOUS FRICASSEED CHICKEN with ROSEMARY & LEMON [/bold]

[bold] INGREDIENTS [/bold]

4 chicken thighs (trimmed of any excess fat)

2 Tablespoons of EVOO

1 Tablespoon of unsalted butter

4 2-inch sprigs of fresh rosemary

2 garlic cloves, peeled and lightly smashed

Kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepper

1/3 cup dry white wine

4 Tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice

Grated zest of 1 lemon

1 Tablespoon of unsalted butter (optional)

--------------------------------

[bold] PROCEDURE [/bold]

1. Wash chicken with cold water and thoroughly dry it.

2. Choose a lidded sauté pan large enough to eventually accommodate the chicken in a single layer without overlapping.

3. Season the chicken thighs well on BOTH sides, with kosher salt and black pepper.

4. Place oil and butter in the pan over medium-high heat. When the butter foam subsides, put in the chicken, skin-side down. Brown the chicken well on both sides. This might take a while on the fat side, but you really want to render the fat and get the skin to be a nice crispy, dark golden brown.

5. Once the chicken is a lovely dark golden brown, remove it from the pan.

6. Add the rosemary sprigs and the smashed garlic cloves (be very careful to not burn the garlic!). Stir it around for 2 to 3 minutes while scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Don't walk away from the pan at this point. If the pan is too hot, turn it down.

7. Return the chicken thighs to the pan and turn them around in the oil, rosemary, and garlic to get those nice flavors all over the chicken.

8. Add the wine and bring and bring it to a brisk simmer, making sure that there is no fond stuck to the bottom of the pan. Simmer for about 20 seconds then lower the heat so that the liquid is at a very low simmer (be sure it is a very low simmer).

9. Place the lid on the pan, leaving it slightly ajar and cook for 50 minutes, occasionally turning the pieces of chicken to ensure even cooking. While the chicken is cooking, occasionally check the liquid in the pan. If it ever gets too low, just add a few tablespoons of chicken stock.

10. After 50 minutes of cooking at a very low simmer, transfer the chicken thighs to a warm serving platter, using a slotted spoon. Tent lightly with foil.

11. Tip the pan and spoon off all but a little bit of the fat (or you could use a fat separator if you have one).

12. Add the lemon juice and zest to the pan and place over medium-low heat to deglaze the pan, using a wooden spoon to scrape loose any brown bits on the bottom and sides of the pan. If you want to increase the yield of sauce, add some homemade chicken stock to the pan. Taste it and see what it needs (salt, pepper, lemon juice/zest). You can incorporate a tablespoon of butter, if you like to give the sauce a richer flavor. Make sure the sauce tastes delicious and lemony!

13. Now—you can either just pour the pan juices over the chicken and serve at once—or, if you want to re-crisp the chicken skin, place the chicken on a sheet pan under the broiler until the chicken skins gets crisp again. If you do this, watch it carefully so that it does not burn or dry out.

I like to garnish this with some chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves.

This is so good—you and whomever you serve this to will love it. Let us know!

by Anonymousreply 25November 8, 2022 4:05 PM

R24, there you are! I can't wait to hear what you think.

by Anonymousreply 26November 8, 2022 4:06 PM

PS // I neglected to add chicken stock to the list of ingredients. How much? Probably around 3/4 cup.

by Anonymousreply 27November 8, 2022 4:10 PM

[quote] Greg, this is a wonderful recipe. My father used to make it when I was a kid, though with the whole chicken. Your detractors are idiots, morons, and assholes who probably alternate Burger King with Taco Bell every night, and for a treat, go to Cracker Barrel.

Thanks, R23! Yes, these flavors can't be beat. And braising chicken thighs after browning them results in such succulent and flavorful chicken.

My detractors probably never cook. No matter what I post—a menu or a recipe—there will be lots of people telling me that I don't know how to cook and have no culture (that was a recent funny accusation). Oh well, people like you and R20 & R24 make it worthwhile. I hope you'll try this recipe!

xo

by Anonymousreply 28November 8, 2022 4:18 PM

Thanks Greg, can't wait to try this.

by Anonymousreply 29November 8, 2022 4:45 PM

A package of chicken thighs costs less than 5 dollars

by Anonymousreply 30November 8, 2022 4:58 PM

This is a recipe I’ve got to try as I love chicken thighs. Thank you, Greg!

by Anonymousreply 31November 8, 2022 5:28 PM

[quote] This is a recipe I’ve got to try as I love chicken thighs. Thank you, Greg!

My pleasure, R31!

by Anonymousreply 32November 8, 2022 5:39 PM

Meat is murder. What would you recommend I, as a conscientious objector, fricassee instead?

by Anonymousreply 33November 8, 2022 5:51 PM

I always get so hungry reading your food posts. I've been off chicken and turkey for a while, but this recipe makes me want to get back into poultry.

by Anonymousreply 34November 8, 2022 5:57 PM

[quote] Meat is murder. What would you recommend I, as a conscientious objector, fricassee instead?

How about your scrotum?

by Anonymousreply 35November 9, 2022 12:36 PM

R20/R24, did you make this chicken? If so, I hope you liked it.

by Anonymousreply 36November 10, 2022 12:36 PM

Thank you, Greg. Your recipe sounds delicious. What is your preferred brand of butter and olive oil to use, out of curiosity? I know some people have their favorites.

I like most things fricassee and I also prefer it sans cream. I don’t like white sauce in general but I will indulge if it’s raw milk crème. Raw cream sauce is simply otherworldly. Sadly, it’s nearly impossible to find in the States anymore and becoming rare on the Continent. Even then I will only have it if I know the chef, or the restaurant was recommended by someone I trust, for obvious reasons.

by Anonymousreply 37November 10, 2022 5:59 PM

Hi Greg, how are the wife and kids? Are you excited for the twins and your daughter to come home from college? Is your youngest a sophomore or a junior in HS now?

by Anonymousreply 38November 10, 2022 6:09 PM

To R36, Greg...we made it Election night, around 20 pieces of chicken thighs. My neighbor Phyllis should have been a chef, she is that good at cooking. Phyllis has 7 different version of that recipe. Everyone loved it& we ate the leftovers around 1130pm California time, Thanks for the recipe, Phillywhore.

by Anonymousreply 39November 10, 2022 6:52 PM

This sounds much better than fish with tomato and prunes. A lot of people commenting found that combination not to their liking (including me) and and got pretty hateful. (not me). I would make this recipe with chicken breast pieces dredged in flour and make a light roux to thicken the sauce. Chicken thighs have that dark meat game-y taste to me, but it looks very good. I like reading your recipes and it's nice you make the effort to post.

by Anonymousreply 40November 10, 2022 7:20 PM

If at first you don’t fricassee, fry fry a hen…

by Anonymousreply 41November 10, 2022 7:47 PM

[quote] Hi Greg, how are the wife and kids? Are you excited for the twins and your daughter to come home from college? Is your youngest a sophomore or a junior in HS now?

Hey there! Thanks for asking. They're fine. Olivia is still at BB&N and is head of the foreign language department. And yes, we're both excited to have Benjamin, Matthew, and Lily back for Thanksgiving. Ceci is junior—can you believe it? We're looking forward to the holidays and having everyone together again.

by Anonymousreply 42November 11, 2022 5:28 PM

[quote] This sounds much better than fish with tomato and prunes. A lot of people commenting found that combination not to their liking (including me) and and got pretty hateful. (not me). I would make this recipe with chicken breast pieces dredged in flour and make a light roux to thicken the sauce. Chicken thighs have that dark meat game-y taste to me, but it looks very good. I like reading your recipes and it's nice you make the effort to post.

That's very kind of you! Thank you, R40.

by Anonymousreply 43November 11, 2022 5:29 PM

[quote] To [R36], Greg...we made it Election night, around 20 pieces of chicken thighs. My neighbor Phyllis should have been a chef, she is that good at cooking. Phyllis has 7 different version of that recipe. Everyone loved it& we ate the leftovers around 1130pm California time, Thanks for the recipe, Phillywhore.

Thanks, Phillywhore! I'm glad you liked it. Phyllis sounds like a keeper!

by Anonymousreply 44November 11, 2022 5:30 PM

[quote] Thank you, Greg. Your recipe sounds delicious. What is your preferred brand of butter and olive oil to use, out of curiosity? I know some people have their favorites.

Thank you, R37!

My preferred brand of butter? Hmmm...I often purchase Kate's Butter. Sometimes Kerrygold. For everyday extra virgin olive oil I use Aria. For a finishing oil I like to use either Pianogrillo Farm EVOO or Wonder Valley EVOO.

by Anonymousreply 45November 11, 2022 5:40 PM

Thanks Greg. I love Kate’s and I think Kerrygold is pretty great and like that it’s widely available. I like the Pianogrillo I’ve had. I’ll look into the others. I like trying different olive oils.

by Anonymousreply 46November 11, 2022 8:54 PM

Greg, I made your fricasee thighs. They were great, although next time I’d cook down the wine in the pan before adding the chicken back in.

by Anonymousreply 47December 15, 2022 11:45 PM

Greg, I just saw this thread. The dish sounds delicious!

Unfortunately, I do not like dark meat in any form (I can hear the dirty minds of the DL cackling from here!). I tried chicken thighs every which way, and I do not like them no matter how cheap or "flavorful" they are.

So ... if I used boneless breasts instead, cut down to thigh size, do you think I need to change anything else in the recipe except cooking time, which should be shorter, I think?

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 48December 15, 2022 11:57 PM

^^^ Also, I would add more fat because the breasts will not render fat as thighs do. Do you agree?

by Anonymousreply 49December 15, 2022 11:58 PM

I like posts with cooking ideas, personally. Sometimes you need a little inspiration.

by Anonymousreply 50December 16, 2022 12:05 AM

Can one substitute dry red wine for white? We drink only red in our household…

by Anonymousreply 51December 16, 2022 12:09 AM

Nine day later and still waiting for my answer on the wine! Is this site ran by Louis De Joy by any chance?

by Anonymousreply 52December 26, 2022 6:50 AM

This sounds amazing! Thank you!

But I burn water, so now I need to find someone to prepare it for me!

Chicken thighs are truly the best part of the bird. Tender, moist, and with more bang for your “cluck” than legs.

Screw chicken breasts. In 37 years, never ate one that wasn’t dry and without flavor.

by Anonymousreply 53December 26, 2022 7:25 AM

To R52, yes, I have done it many times on chicken (all kinds) Dry reds are great, so are any kind of red wine. Always works out great!

by Anonymousreply 54December 26, 2022 6:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!