Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I jumped off a bridge in our Marvelous Midwestern town!

Not the Tallahachie bridge, bitches......no ma'am!

That tramp in Genoa City tried to jump but I did it first and I was FABULOUS!

CANNONBALL, bitches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600March 1, 2023 8:48 PM

The tsunami resulting from that heifer’s plunge destroyed entire communities in The Caribbean and The Gulf Coast.

by Anonymousreply 1November 2, 2022 6:28 PM

Thanks R1 for giving me the platform to remind everyone to FF and BLOCK the psycho loon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 2, 2022 6:39 PM

I’m not that troll you fucking moron. I hate that idiot and his infantile posting, none of it is humorous except maybe Helen Wagner telling Colleen Zenk that sbes a tramp

by Anonymousreply 3November 2, 2022 6:56 PM

Great Kim Zimmer story.

Back in the late 90s/early 2000s I was having a drink waiting for a friend for dinner at the Glenwood Grill in Raleigh and, sitting alone, was eavesdropping on conversations around me. The woman to my right said, “I had a young man come up to me in the airport and tell me he’d watched me with his mother since her was a young boy.”

It was such a strange statement I turned and it was Reva Shane, in the flesh, whom I had watched as long as the young man mentioned.

I chimed in and we struck up a conversation and she asked if I golfed. She was in town to play for the Jimmy V Charity golf tournament.

“I’ve played but I’m out of practice!”

“Well… I’m still looking for a fourth golfer in my foursome and if you donate and play I promise to play with you by the rules I use with my husband.”

“…”

“Kisses for birdies and player’s choice for eagles.”

She then took a long sip from her drink, gave me a wink, and turned back to her minder.

by Anonymousreply 4November 2, 2022 7:32 PM

That hussy!

by Anonymousreply 5November 2, 2022 9:38 PM

I know she's Don Hastings' wife, but Leslie Denniston played two of the most boring, lifeless characters ever - Maeve on GL and Carolyn "She's Dead, Let It Be" Crawford on ATWT.

by Anonymousreply 6November 3, 2022 1:44 AM

Louise Sorel on Locher Room. THAT is a conversation I'd love to see.

by Anonymousreply 7November 3, 2022 7:47 PM

Damn, that was a good scene with her jumping from the bridge. Very well done. Superb.

by Anonymousreply 8November 4, 2022 1:25 AM

Miss Locher needs to dig deep for some new material. I'm sick if the same old people, Newman, Mikey, Maeve, Cady, Grant. Mix it up a little, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 9November 4, 2022 1:25 AM

Reva was a bigger than life character. But I'd like to get back to Grant's bigger than life pendulousness.

by Anonymousreply 10November 4, 2022 1:26 AM

The last thread went into the 400s before being locked. I think the title was too clever so it didn’t get noticed.

by Anonymousreply 11November 4, 2022 1:27 AM

Which P&G actress has the most dui’s? My guess is the trollop.

by Anonymousreply 12November 4, 2022 3:50 AM

The bridge jumping scene was truly done excellently. I loved the added real ice/snow.

by Anonymousreply 13November 4, 2022 3:52 AM

I think of that scene any time I hear Streisand's "Somewhere."

by Anonymousreply 14November 4, 2022 4:29 AM

Did Eileen McLarty have an issue with the liquor poos? They had to pull up the carpet at one point at JC Studios. Took a week out of the taping schedule.

by Anonymousreply 15November 4, 2022 2:05 PM

by Anonymousreply 16November 4, 2022 2:07 PM

An article from 1977. (The anniversaries were always so confusing. GL had its 50th anniversary in 1987 and then its 40th in 1992!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 4, 2022 2:11 PM

The article at R17 lists some "alumni" and Larry Gates is on the list - he must have had a second role on GL before HB Lewis, just as Jordan Clarke played another character before he played Billy.

I don't see it on IMDB, though. (Though he WAS on an episode of "Hazel.")

by Anonymousreply 18November 4, 2022 2:40 PM

Is Lynda Hirsch still alive?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 4, 2022 3:05 PM

THEY CANCELLED LUCY TO EXPAND GL!!!

They'd had sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 20November 4, 2022 3:06 PM

THE Guiding Light.

by Anonymousreply 21November 4, 2022 4:06 PM

anyway.....

by Anonymousreply 22November 4, 2022 8:01 PM

So, today is the 45th anniversary of GL expanding to an hour.

First hour-long show was Nov.4, 1977.

by Anonymousreply 23November 4, 2022 8:14 PM

That is not a flattering picture of poor, smitten Evie up above with Ben (probably my first soap crush).

by Anonymousreply 24November 4, 2022 8:16 PM

I remember that actor arriving as the new Jamie on AW and I was just at that age where...."Oh, who's that? And why am I getting all excited at seeing him in cutoffs?"

by Anonymousreply 25November 4, 2022 8:24 PM

If I had known my beloved Ben was on Another World, I would have switched right away. I lived for the whole Ben-Amanda-Lucille storyline!

by Anonymousreply 26November 4, 2022 8:26 PM

Prior to playing Jamie on AW in 1983-85, Stephen Yates was on AW as Chris Pierson in 1975. Chris Pierson was Marianne Randolph's boyfriend who got her pregnant and she opted to have an abortion.

Pat Randolph helped her daughter have the abortion and kept it secret from her husband John. When John found out about the abortion and that Pat had kept it a secret, it ended their marriage. John ended up married to the cray cray Olive Gordon.

Incidentally, Pat Randolph had the first abortion ever on soaps -- an back alley illegal abortion in 1964.

by Anonymousreply 27November 4, 2022 8:35 PM

Evie Stapleton was homely. No way would Ben fall for her.

by Anonymousreply 28November 4, 2022 8:37 PM

Jamie's cutoffs.

And the rare occasion where Ada wore a dress!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 4, 2022 8:37 PM

[quote] Evie Stapleton was homely. No way would Ben fall for her.

That was the point! Poor, sweet, devoted Evie...so different from her slutty sister!

by Anonymousreply 30November 4, 2022 8:40 PM

[quote]Poor, sweet, devoted Evie...

And blind. Don't forget blind. Poor little blind Evie.

by Anonymousreply 31November 5, 2022 12:38 AM

Searching for other things today as I did for the GL articles.....

I had no idea Don Hastings and Kathryn Hays had done a series of concerts together! Very interesting.

(This article was huge so I only clipped a bit)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 5, 2022 1:15 AM

I love only FAT things. FAT soap names like THE Guiding Light. FAT soap characters like Fat Ed, Fat Bert, and Fat Maureen. FAT soap twitter queens. FAT posters at SON.

I hate Pam Long, Reva, and that they took THE out of THE Guiding Light. Nothing in my life has been the same!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 33November 5, 2022 1:29 AM

Sorry, I suddenly grew tired and nodded off when I glanced at this photo. I'm up now. What did I miss?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 5, 2022 2:01 AM

Boreen Bauer - most boring character, ever.

by Anonymousreply 35November 5, 2022 2:32 AM

Parker was an extremely low-energy actress. JFP and her focus group were right on the money with that one. No loss there.

by Anonymousreply 36November 5, 2022 2:38 AM

oh lord, not this nonsense again

by Anonymousreply 37November 5, 2022 3:29 AM

Can we talk about Barbara Rucker here? As Ginny Hampton Marshall Connor, she was one of my favorite things about Texas. Just always gave off a glowing, naturally warm and maternal vibe. She and Philip Clark as Ryan were hugely popular relative to the show's awful ratings. Why didn't Gail and Pam bring her to GL?

by Anonymousreply 38November 5, 2022 3:57 AM

Surely Barbara could have played a member of the Lewis family.

by Anonymousreply 39November 5, 2022 4:05 AM

So, who did you think shot Jake?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 5, 2022 4:13 AM

Pam didn't really write much for Barbara on Texas. She was pretty much sidelined as a talk-to character for the rest of the series run after Ryan was killed off. Pam positioned Paige, Brett, Ruby, and Rena as the female leads.

by Anonymousreply 41November 5, 2022 4:13 AM

TEXAS!

Starring Not You, Bitch

by Anonymousreply 42November 5, 2022 4:16 AM

As a gayling, I attended a softball game in NJ, Guiding Light vs. Texas. I met both JWS and Randy Hamilton, which was my dream come true, because I had major crushes on both of them.

by Anonymousreply 43November 5, 2022 4:24 AM

Yum!

*lifts caftan*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 5, 2022 4:26 AM

Many a big bat was swung that day!

by Anonymousreply 45November 5, 2022 4:31 AM

Many a hole was twitching!

by Anonymousreply 46November 5, 2022 4:33 AM

The littered beach is kind of a turnoff, but not that much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 5, 2022 4:35 AM

The Jonathan/Reva scenes were gold. So broken and so much anger and amazing acting. The 4:20 mark = Reva sarcastically raises her arms to hug Johnathan. He deserved the Emmy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 5, 2022 4:37 AM

Are Randy Hamilton and JWS homosexualists?

by Anonymousreply 49November 5, 2022 10:53 AM

JWS most definitely yes. Randy is straight.

by Anonymousreply 50November 5, 2022 2:36 PM

I wonder if JWS, Chris Bernau and Bill Roerick ever rubbed one out together? That’d be a hot 3some!!

by Anonymousreply 51November 6, 2022 12:44 AM

Bill Roerick was not gay.

by Anonymousreply 52November 6, 2022 2:00 AM

[quote]R8 Damn, that was a good scene with her jumping from the bridge. Very well done. Superb.

Did she get her ring back??

(I’m assuming she lived)

by Anonymousreply 53November 6, 2022 3:33 AM

Bill Roerick was the gayest gay that ever gay'd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 6, 2022 4:26 AM

Oh, Bill Roerick, another low energy GL actor. I think a better and more charismatic actor, say Jerry Douglas, would've made the character pop, rather than blend in with the furniture for what seemed like 100 years.

by Anonymousreply 55November 6, 2022 4:57 AM

Shocked about Bill Roerick! I always thought he was doing Geri Court in his dressing room after she broke up with David O’Brien.

by Anonymousreply 56November 6, 2022 6:44 AM

Jill Phelps desperately tried to give some pizzazz to GL. The audience was content with boring and fat characters like FatMaureen, FatHenry, and FatRick. The show was also being strangled by DEMANDING actresses like Beverlee McKinsey. She was lazy and never wanted to work. Always wanted a vacation and a few hours at the studio per week when she did work.

by Anonymousreply 57November 6, 2022 6:58 PM

People who post "low energy" bullshit are gonna get pushed out of a fucking plane!

by Anonymousreply 58November 7, 2022 12:02 AM

YES Annie!

by Anonymousreply 59November 7, 2022 12:43 AM

Put her in a car driven by that drunken tramp Colleen, R58, and BOTH our problems are solved.

by Anonymousreply 60November 7, 2022 12:52 AM

P&G soaps had all the low-energy actors. These anemic shows desperately needed an Andrea Evans or a Susan Lucci or a Tony Geary to infuse some life into them. JFP firing the mopey Ellen Parker and freeing up her salary to hire the exciting Justin Deas was a stroke of genius. ATWT was smart to hire the high-energy Hubbard, but that was couteracted by dull actors like Jennifer Ashe, Lisa Brown, Allyson Rice Taylor etc.

by Anonymousreply 61November 7, 2022 2:47 AM

The world changed forever 45 years ago when THE GUIDING LIGHT (TGL) expanded to an hour and dropped THE from the title. Henceforth known as Guiding Light. (GL). I’m STILL not over the trauma. It’s TGL.

by Anonymousreply 62November 7, 2022 3:00 AM

At its height, GL was well known for its fat title and its fat actors. When they trimmed the fat from the name, they never got rid of the fat actors, so it was jarring watching a show with a thin title full of fatso actors. I'm sure Charita dropped a ton, well with the leg and all that, but she still looked fat. With all the changes Gail and Pam brought to the show, you'd think they'd have hired thin actors. But no, we get fat Beth, fat Reva, fat Josh, fat nuMo, fat Hillary, fat Rick, fat HB, fat Bridget.

by Anonymousreply 63November 7, 2022 3:08 AM

R63 Ummm GL didn’t have fat actors dimwit.

by Anonymousreply 64November 7, 2022 3:25 AM

R64 Did you ever watch GL? Bert was FAT before the leg thing. Mart Hulswit was FAT.

by Anonymousreply 65November 7, 2022 3:55 AM

These last few posts are almost as much of an insult to the intelligence as watching an ABC soap, well, ever!

by Anonymousreply 66November 7, 2022 4:12 AM

Thanks for the reminder about the 45th anniversary of the expansion to an hour and shift to Guiding Light name, though. 1977-78 was quite a transitional year for daytime.

by Anonymousreply 67November 7, 2022 4:13 AM

R64 That's the deeply mentally ill troll that posts here. Its weird OCD obsessions include calling everything and everyone fat. Block/FF it and enjoy the cool, refreshing flavor of its silence....AND a York Peppermint Patty!

by Anonymousreply 68November 7, 2022 4:43 AM

Vee, who is in the biz, forced them to drop THE from the title. He said it would goose the demos.

P&G found out that Americans prefer skinny soaps with more action and passion. Fat Bert and Fat Ed couldn’t keep up with the likes of Luke, Laura, Erica, Marlena, Bo, Hope, and others. It wasn’t even a competition.

JFP constantly had to fight against keeping and hiring homely actors like Fat Mo, HomelyBridget, Homely Samantha, etc. The low energy P&G audience needed to be shocked out of complacency.

by Anonymousreply 69November 7, 2022 7:31 AM

That freakin’ 3rd eye on Bore-een Bauer scared everyone all year round. Not just on Halloween. JFP was heard saying that we need to kill off cyclops Bore-een Bauer.

by Anonymousreply 70November 7, 2022 8:17 AM

Parker had the lazy eye. McKinsey had the lazy acting.

by Anonymousreply 71November 7, 2022 3:02 PM

Moving on

I would say Another World had much better sets and lighting the. GL or ATWT. Tops and the Cory Mansion were standouts; even the Frame farmhouse was nicer than the Snyder farm-thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 72November 7, 2022 3:09 PM

Yeah, but AW didn’t have Laurel Falls.

by Anonymousreply 73November 7, 2022 5:03 PM

[quote]Another World had much better sets and lighting the. GL or ATWT. Tops and the Cory Mansion were standouts

But Rachel's blue sofa. Surely they could have bought her a new one in the '90s.

by Anonymousreply 74November 7, 2022 5:39 PM

Is Zimmer the best cryer in daytime history?

by Anonymousreply 75November 7, 2022 5:47 PM

Anna Banana in a Deven Green (Betty Bowers) parody. I didn’t know she did infomercials.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76November 7, 2022 6:40 PM

I was pretty checked out from GL in 2004...and waaaay over Reva...but that scene (right up to the fakey choking) was riveting. That kid could act.

by Anonymousreply 77November 7, 2022 9:07 PM

Kim is the best cryer period.

by Anonymousreply 78November 7, 2022 9:08 PM

The Frame farmhouse always seemed so warm and inviting.

by Anonymousreply 79November 8, 2022 12:03 AM

I remember the Anna informercial. I think that was after her husband/partner left and stole her money.

Pelphrey and Zimmer's first scenes were indeed totally fucking amazing. I got tired of the fuss over "Jammy" real quick but Pelphrey blew the dust off Kimmer for a while, at least.

by Anonymousreply 80November 8, 2022 12:19 AM

Thanks so much for posting this.

This story was one that went in so many directions (“Laura”, RevaBend, hospital photographer, Cain…).

Later, Will tried to kill Josh on a (different?) bridge, Reva jumped in to rescue him… cut to Alan redecorating comatose Reva’s hospital room in a Victorian motif (after he’d listened to Reva’s “I ate from the trash” monologue… Later still, Reva and Sonni on the Venezuelan rope bridge.

I really miss GL circa 1977 - early 2000s.

by Anonymousreply 81November 8, 2022 1:29 AM

The Reva/Jonathan stuff was really good TV. There were many more than just that. Tom gave Kim a real acting partner like she hadn’t had since Cynthia Watros or Michele Forbes.

I’ve never seen the footage of Reva trying to kill herself. It is very well done. My jaw dropped. I can’t imagine what it was like watching it “live”.

by Anonymousreply 82November 8, 2022 2:58 AM

The nostalgia for these old granny shows is endearing. Really it is.

by Anonymousreply 83November 8, 2022 4:13 AM

If I recall correctly, after Holly kidnapped all the children in town and the parents came along to rescue them, Holly escaped and ran to a bridge where she threatened to jump off.

Reva found her on the bridge and said, "A bridge! Why does it always have to be a bridge?" Then she talked Holly down.

by Anonymousreply 84November 8, 2022 7:07 AM

Why didn’t Paul Rauch let Holly become a lezzy?

by Anonymousreply 85November 8, 2022 8:03 AM

R81 The "trash" monologue is almost never mentioned but it remains my favorite Reva moment.

(And the one that's impossible to find on YouTube...in English, anyway.)

by Anonymousreply 86November 8, 2022 6:19 PM

I wish they didn’t make Baron Von Halkein such a wimp in his brief appearance. They should have cast a piece of Eurotrash who’d fallen on hard times to play the role like Helmut Berger. Who would no doubt have licked his lips at Philip’s pendulous dong.

by Anonymousreply 87November 8, 2022 10:42 PM

anyway,,,,

by Anonymousreply 88November 8, 2022 10:54 PM

Poor Bev. Those 12 days a year she worked must've been terribly trying. And she was always the trooper, never complaining about her heavy work schedule. What a martyr.

by Anonymousreply 89November 9, 2022 3:54 AM

Oh, her? Did that low born gutter slut land in the water? What a pity.

by Anonymousreply 90November 9, 2022 4:04 AM

The roles of Ed and Maureen Bauer are now being played, respectively, by Dennis Cole and Shannon Tweed. Oh how I would've killed to hear that voiceover announcement. Those two high-energy actors would've infused such vitality and life into the show, rather than those dreary low-energy people who were playing them. Oh to think what might have been. Alas.

by Anonymousreply 91November 9, 2022 4:10 AM

The very first Mrs. Phillip Spaulding was Mindy Lews, married in a shotgun wedding in March 1984.

The second Mrs. Phillip Spauding was India von Halkien, who blackmailed Phillip into marriage in Nov. 1984.

by Anonymousreply 92November 9, 2022 4:13 AM

Did Mary Kay Adams and Marsha Clark bump pussies?

by Anonymousreply 93November 9, 2022 4:23 AM

^That would be so HOT! We’d all welcome any hot pics of them bumping pussies! Yummy.

by Anonymousreply 94November 9, 2022 7:33 AM

I don't acknowledge the existence of the likes of Melinda Sue Lewissssss, R92.

by Anonymousreply 95November 9, 2022 2:57 PM

DL fave Geri Court always looked like she wanted to devour Kathleen Cullen's Amanda.

by Anonymousreply 96November 9, 2022 3:03 PM

Shhhh

by Anonymousreply 97November 9, 2022 3:04 PM

Who inherited Papa Bauer's autographed edition of "Mein Kampf" upon his death? Bill? Bert? Meta? Trudy?

by Anonymousreply 98November 9, 2022 3:28 PM

Shhhh

by Anonymousreply 99November 9, 2022 3:58 PM

Whatever the fuck THAT means.

by Anonymousreply 100November 9, 2022 4:45 PM

Ada, there’s a dish rag and a sweet rolls tray over there in the corner with your name on them. Amscray.

by Anonymousreply 101November 9, 2022 7:48 PM

Mary Kay Adams is a goddesss who can do no wrong in my book. India (GL) and Neal (ATWT) were so entirely different and yet both so very deserving of our empathy as an audience. She was exactly what a soap needs: a character you can root for. It's too bad either show couldn't get her to stick around. She is probably the most under-rated soap actor.

by Anonymousreply 102November 9, 2022 9:14 PM

Mary Kay always came across the screen as a bulldyke. She wanted Beth’s pussy more than Phillip’s pendulous dick.

by Anonymousreply 103November 9, 2022 9:52 PM

Pheeel-eep just let me lick Beth’s snatch. Pheeleep!

by Anonymousreply 104November 9, 2022 9:53 PM

R102 She was just too moose-y.

by Anonymousreply 105November 9, 2022 11:03 PM

JFP was smart to listen to the focus group and axe Ellen/Mo. The actress and character were a pill. Wisest move she ever made in her EP career.

by Anonymousreply 106November 9, 2022 11:20 PM

So which Texas actors did Pam/Gail bring over from Texas? McKinsey, Lisby Larson. Jim Rebhorn, Alexandra Neal, Michael Woods, Harley Kozak, Jay Hammer, Jerry Lanning, and nearly Carla Borelli. Who else?

by Anonymousreply 107November 9, 2022 11:42 PM

Who was Carla Borelli going to play?

I always liked her, she needed a meaty bitch role to play on a successful show.

by Anonymousreply 108November 10, 2022 12:54 AM

GL always had too many villains and not enough villainesses. Alexandra was not a villainess.

by Anonymousreply 109November 10, 2022 1:11 AM

R102 - I couldn’t agree more. Mary Kay Adams was delicious and so fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 110November 10, 2022 1:48 AM

That stupid cunt Donna from SON thinks that Carla Borelli was going to be Reva. WRONG!!!! Pam Long did not Carla as Reva. Stupid god damned cunt Donna.

by Anonymousreply 111November 10, 2022 2:29 AM

Mary Kay and Beverlee in a scene together were glorious.

by Anonymousreply 112November 10, 2022 3:46 AM

Did Mary Kay Evans eat Bev’s snatch after Berkeley died? Well did she???

by Anonymousreply 113November 10, 2022 4:28 AM

Yes, Pam wanted Carla Borelli as Reva, but Carla turned them down, because she felt the role was too much like Rena on Texas. She and Maeve look too similar, and would've lacked the stark contrast Maeve had with KZ's looks.

by Anonymousreply 114November 10, 2022 5:41 AM

I fondly recall the scene where Philip offered to donate his penis to transplant as Bert's new leg.

by Anonymousreply 115November 10, 2022 6:46 AM

Carla Borelli was never offered the role of Reva. Stop it with that shit!

by Anonymousreply 116November 10, 2022 9:38 AM

A little P&G soap gossip: Nick Nicholson told friends that Dennis Parker used to give Joel Crothers blowjobs. Nick would know.

by Anonymousreply 117November 10, 2022 10:18 AM

[quote] Mary Kay and Beverlee in a scene together were glorious.

As were Mary Kay and Liz Hubbard. And when Lucinda finds out that Neal was her sister, her "She could have told me!" was heart-breaking.

by Anonymousreply 118November 10, 2022 10:44 AM

R6, Carolyn was created to be killed off.

But I think Maeve was written as a bit reserved to serve as a contrast. Sure, Maeve made Vanessa look like a party girl but Reva felt insecure around Maeve because she was everything Reva wasn't -- refined, educated, and sophisticated.

Fletcher helped ground Claire; Maeve helped ground Fletcher. I wouldn't have killed her off that way; maybe just have her and Fletcher break up but they'd given us the payoff wedding a few months ago.

by Anonymousreply 119November 10, 2022 3:06 PM

I clapped when Maeve died.

Which if I'm not mistaken, was the lead in to Pam Long's first week back in '87.

by Anonymousreply 120November 11, 2022 12:18 AM

R120 In a spectacular helicopter crash!

by Anonymousreply 121November 11, 2022 1:17 AM

R121 That's right!

by Anonymousreply 122November 11, 2022 1:37 AM

You soap queens are a peculiar lot. I get that you became so emotionally invested in these characters and their stories, in order to give your sad, pathetic lives some meaning, and you latched onto these characters as your surrogate friends and families after your own friends and families rejected you for being "different". I understand why you get defensive when posters make fun of these shows, as these characters are real to you. But for fuck sake, lighten up. At the end of the day, it was all fiction...and bad fiction at that.

by Anonymousreply 123November 11, 2022 1:50 AM

by Anonymousreply 124November 11, 2022 2:41 AM

Anyone who watches/watched soaps for anything other than shirtless hunks is touched in the head.

by Anonymousreply 125November 11, 2022 3:20 AM

by Anonymousreply 126November 11, 2022 4:02 AM

R120, no. Pam came back in 1987. Maeve died September ish 1988.

In Maeve's last year, she and Fletcher broke up because Maeve ratted out Meredith saying her criticism of Rick (which led to him going before a review board) was tainted b/c of her helping her own mother with assisted suicide (I think); she did something anti-Meredith that caused Fletcher to walk out.

They slowly found their way back to one another and by the time the Spaulding gala rolled around in 1988, Fletcher figured out something big was coming down; they worked the gala and were on the scene when Alan re-signed (Phillip forced his hand).

In July, Maeve and Fletcher got married at the Bauer barbeque; Johnny and Chelsea sang and we met Julia Stoddard (Meg Mundy from the Doctors and Ordinary People). Phillip wasn't at the wedding; he was still town pariah for taking down Alan.

He ran into Meredith at a bar and took her home and banged her, conceiving the baby that died in the spring of 1989.

Reva got her camera out and took family pix of Maeve, Fletcher and Ben; she got in a copter and went off to do a story. The copter crashed. She died. I thought the show made a mistake by not at some point bringing Kyle and Julia on with Ben. create a new family.

The last time Maeve was mentioned was in 1995 when Reva, back from the dead, showed up at the Country Club for a masked ball. She wasn't getting any attention at first; she asked Fletcher for a dance 'in honor of Kyle and Maeve'.

Someone, Megan maybe, had done their homework with that line. In late 85 to late 86, Reva/Kyle/Maeve/Fletcher were a big deal on the show.

Again, Maeve didn't bother me as much as she did others. Some saw dull and boring; I saw reserved and sophisticated.

I can't find this show down when Maeve was back at work in Dec. 1985 at the journal and Reva shows up for a powwow; it was TENSE.

Instead here's Part 1 of Maeve and Fletch getting married.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127November 11, 2022 4:42 AM

Just curious, what was the first soap you got to watch from the very beginning. It was Texas for me.

by Anonymousreply 128November 11, 2022 4:44 AM

I think the Beth back from the dead storyline (BFTD) by Pam Long was one of the best BFTD storylines ever. Pitch perfect. The tension building up to it was enormous. The fake outs. The reveal (so unexpected). Pam at her finest as she was writing for one of her favorite characters.

by Anonymousreply 129November 11, 2022 5:09 AM

Pam and Gail Kobe killed TGL. Period.

by Anonymousreply 130November 11, 2022 8:37 AM

My life was never the same after they dropped THE from the title 50 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 131November 11, 2022 11:33 AM

Ugh Lisa Brown, another low energy actor. Betty Rea sure could pick 'em. The legendary Betty Rea.

by Anonymousreply 132November 11, 2022 11:37 AM

Pam even got rid of Johnny Bauer's fat mother Lainie when she came back in 1987. She really burned the fat from GL, although there was still fat Rick, fat Mo, fat Reva, fat H.B., fay Billy, fat Sally, and fat fruit Henry.

by Anonymousreply 133November 11, 2022 1:48 PM

Come to Llanview or Salem or Santa Barbara or Corinth or Collinsport. That's where all the excitement is happening. Not in those dreary little P&G towns where all the characters were dull and interchangeable and everyone talked the same.

by Anonymousreply 134November 11, 2022 6:44 PM

R129 I don't remember the reveal with Beth being alive. I was only sporadically watching for a bit there due to classes.

I do remember Beth revealing herself to Lillian on Christmas Eve. MARY!

by Anonymousreply 135November 11, 2022 7:41 PM

Kevin Conroy has died. He's best known for playing the voice of Batman in Batman: The Animated Series and other DC animated shows.

But he got his start on AW playing Jerry Grove in 1980. Conroy was one of three actors to play the part, but is the one most remembered for the part. Jerry Grove is the one who raped Clarice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136November 11, 2022 7:44 PM

When is Miss Locher's tribute show for Kevin?

by Anonymousreply 137November 11, 2022 10:48 PM

Nein.

by Anonymousreply 138November 11, 2022 10:59 PM

R127 - Thanks for that thoughtful post. Like you, I didn’t mind Maeve at all.

I remember Maeve’s and Fletcher’s July 4th/Bauer Barbecue wedding. Jay Hammer sweated profusely, as if it was outdoors in July.

India mentioned Maeve at one point, upon meeting Ben. She said something about Maeve having done well, or would be proud of him… not sure what year that would’ve been.

by Anonymousreply 139November 12, 2022 12:20 AM

Beth's back from the dead was the best. Even the 1986 regime laid the ground work by saying Alan (Chris Bernau) had the Chicago coroner fake the autopsy so that Phillip (then John Bolger) would move on.

And he did.

By 1987, he started dating Chelsea. That went south when he took over Spaulding. Then, he took up with Blake (Liz Dennehy), married her (Sherry Stringfield); Mindy took a trip to heaven in 1989 and she saw Kurt, Miss Sally, and her momma.

When she came back to life, Phillip asked her if she'd seen Beth and Mindy thought for a bit and said no, she hadn't. Phillip smiled. He knew Beth was alive.

I think of Beth the way I do Mindy; two distinct actresses played the role -- it was almost as if they were different characters; Tesreau and Simms for Mindy; Evans and Chamberlin for Beth.

For whatever reason (they were young, I suppose), Grant and Judi may not have gotten along but he and Chamberlin did very well.

by Anonymousreply 140November 12, 2022 12:23 AM

How dare you forget about us, R140!

by Anonymousreply 141November 12, 2022 12:59 AM

Beth’s snatch was there for the taking!

by Anonymousreply 142November 12, 2022 3:18 AM

MARY r140!

by Anonymousreply 143November 12, 2022 4:07 AM

by Anonymousreply 144November 12, 2022 4:12 AM

Megan McTavish was the best writer this show ever had. She GOT the show.

by Anonymousreply 145November 12, 2022 5:04 AM

THIS! NEVER! GETS! OLD! YOU! FUCKING! CUNTS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146November 12, 2022 12:35 PM

The fight at SON among PervSudz, Vicky Fuxton, and Vee, who is in the biz, is one for the books! Check it out on the DAYS thread!!

by Anonymousreply 147November 12, 2022 1:08 PM

I wasn’t a big fan, R145.

by Anonymousreply 148November 12, 2022 1:17 PM

Our demented troll is off her meds. I have it blocked and post counts are jumping 4 and 5 numbers ahead at a time.

by Anonymousreply 149November 12, 2022 1:27 PM

[quote] I think of Beth the way I do Mindy; two distinct actresses played the role -- it was almost as if they were different characters; Tesreau and Simms for Mindy; Evans and Chamberlin for Beth.

Mostly agree, though Chamberlain carried some of the old Beth at least at first. Simms was very different but, I thought, a very natural mature version of Mindy.

by Anonymousreply 150November 12, 2022 1:29 PM

You people have an emotionally unhealthy connection to fictional characters from laughable, stupid little soaps that have been off the air for more than 10, 20 years, and I'M the demented one?!?! I guess in the warped world of DL, that makes perfect sense.

by Anonymousreply 151November 12, 2022 2:14 PM

by Anonymousreply 152November 12, 2022 2:24 PM

Did kookoo get banned from SON?

by Anonymousreply 153November 12, 2022 2:31 PM

GL was a soap for extreme fatties. Fat Bert and her fat dismembered leg, fat Ed, fat Hope, fat Rick, fat Ross, fat Hillary, fat Maureen, fat Steve Jackson, fat Henry, fat Reva, fat Billy, fat Josh, fat HB, fat Sally, fat Beth, fat Buzz, fat Frank. Fat fat fat fat fat. When they reduced the name from TGL to GL, the weight of the name no longer synced with the weight of the characters, and I could no longer bear to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 154November 12, 2022 2:41 PM

by Anonymousreply 155November 12, 2022 2:41 PM

In the biz Vee is banning Pervertsuds from SON.

by Anonymousreply 156November 12, 2022 3:08 PM

Don’t forget Fat Katie, Fat Leslie Ann, Fat Vanessa, Fat Bea, Fat Mrs. Renfield, fat Helena, Fat Lainie Bauer

by Anonymousreply 157November 12, 2022 3:22 PM

Who's the SON queen that is still devastated by P&G dropping "The" from "The Guiding Light"?

by Anonymousreply 158November 12, 2022 3:23 PM

Maybe it is true the camera adds pounds.

by Anonymousreply 159November 12, 2022 3:23 PM

Crabby old VetSoapFan still rambles on and on and on how they dropped THE from GL. He’s a miserable old koger.

by Anonymousreply 160November 12, 2022 3:25 PM

[quote] You soap queens are a peculiar lot.

Says the demented troll that has at least four different sock puppet accounts and is obsessed with other soap posters.

by Anonymousreply 161November 12, 2022 3:40 PM

Cranky and bitter soapvetfan still holds a grudge against Gail Kobe and Pam Long! They ruined his life forever when they got rid of FatEd!

by Anonymousreply 162November 12, 2022 3:50 PM

r161 is Vee, who is in the biz, you know.

by Anonymousreply 163November 12, 2022 3:51 PM

Actually it was Potter and Marland who got rid of fat Ed.

by Anonymousreply 164November 12, 2022 3:59 PM

JFP got rid of Fat Mo! Pam Long killed Fat Bert! I have been miserable since they dropped THE from the title!!

by Anonymousreply 165November 12, 2022 4:02 PM

Marland and Potter also got rid of Fat Barbara Norris and Fat Adam Thorpe.

by Anonymousreply 166November 12, 2022 4:19 PM

Who axed fat Dr. Steve Jackson and his inexplicably fat German accent? I'd like to say he disappeared, but how does someone so fat just vanish into thin air?

by Anonymousreply 167November 12, 2022 4:29 PM

Did they let the Fat GLers sit on Kookoo’s THE Another World park bench?

by Anonymousreply 168November 12, 2022 4:35 PM

Judi Evans was the Fat Beth.

by Anonymousreply 169November 12, 2022 4:45 PM

Mac Cory could outqueen Henry Chamberlain any day of the week as the the gayest straight character.

by Anonymousreply 170November 12, 2022 4:58 PM

Henry and HB were both FAT!

by Anonymousreply 171November 12, 2022 6:01 PM

Wow! The only poster I have blocked on DL is our resident demented soap troll. Have all four of his accounts blocked.

He seems to be on a roll right. My thread has the last TEN posts blocked. So, the last post I can see is R161. All the posts after that aren't visible.

by Anonymousreply 172November 12, 2022 10:11 PM

r172 is fun at parties. Is it you Vee, who is in the biz? Or are you PervSudz or Vicky Fuckton?

by Anonymousreply 173November 12, 2022 11:57 PM

The troll is just so boring. It's the same four alleged jokes, over and over and over again. Post after post, thread after thread.

by Anonymousreply 174November 13, 2022 12:02 AM

It's quite appropriate, r174, since soaps are a joke, and feature the same silly, stupid, boring shit over and over and over.

by Anonymousreply 175November 13, 2022 12:05 AM

R172 I noticed the same and actually took the thread out of my thread watcher. I am just so beyond over the troll's BS. I know people must think I'm joking when I say "mentally ill" but no sane person makes those posts. Not in the incredibly obsessive, repetitive way they do.

by Anonymousreply 176November 13, 2022 12:06 AM

r176, to get so worked up over a troll interrupting your discussion of your stories says more about you than it does the troll.

by Anonymousreply 177November 13, 2022 12:37 AM

by Anonymousreply 178November 13, 2022 12:39 AM

Can we all just agree that Brent Lawrence was probably one of the hottest Drag Queens to ever hit ANY daytime soap opera?...Actor Frank Beaty worked hard on the hideous Marian storyline. That storyline was the death knell of Lucy Cooper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179November 13, 2022 3:17 AM

Frank was cute.

by Anonymousreply 180November 13, 2022 3:44 AM

[quote] To get so worked up over a troll interrupting your discussion of your stories says more about you than it does the troll.

Oooh, this must be the Jean Randolph personality.

by Anonymousreply 181November 13, 2022 3:54 AM

Frank Beaty is still a hot fuck...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182November 13, 2022 4:19 AM

On ATWT, Lucinda's brother Royce had DID, didn't he? Was it as memorable as Viki and her numerous personalities (Marvelous East Coast town, but still ...), Carrie Todd or our personal favorite, Sharlene & Sharly?

by Anonymousreply 183November 13, 2022 4:25 AM

Royce's DID was a tiny part of the story and I don't remember it, to be honest. Perhaps one of our faithful posters recalls better than I.

That was also at a point where, if I recall correctly, Marland had just died and they were wrapping up some of his stories. My faint recollection is that the wrapup for Royce and Terry Lester was somewhat quick and expedited.

A shame, as Royce and Neal both were characters with a lot of promise and that promise was wasted. (And I never liked Sam that much....she was a pale imitation.)

by Anonymousreply 184November 13, 2022 1:41 PM

They should never have killed off Neal. Mary Kay Adams could have returned and Neal could have been a decent love interest for Hunt Block’s Craig.

by Anonymousreply 185November 13, 2022 4:23 PM

Why did the Royce story end so abruptly. I remember when Marland died Laurie Caso made a point of doing interviews saying that Marland had completed 2 years of story projections right before he died and they were going to work off them. Was it an issue with Terry Lester? Or was it aborted because it was another dark story on a show laden with them at the time?

by Anonymousreply 186November 13, 2022 4:30 PM

I think it was to do with Terry Lester.

by Anonymousreply 187November 13, 2022 5:50 PM

Terry Lester was having health issues in the 90s. He also visited the set of YR (where he played Jack). He was in an emotional state and Jerry Douglas (John) said some unflattering stories about what happened. Jerry Douglas was an asshole for running off at the mouth in an interview.. Terry Leslie was obviously struggling at the time.

by Anonymousreply 188November 14, 2022 12:08 AM

I never heard Terry revisited the Y&R set after he left; he trashed Lauralee and I can't see him wanting to run into either her or Bergman.

by Anonymousreply 189November 14, 2022 2:03 AM

Terry Lester and Ian Buchanan supposedly passed Black bed partners back and forth.

by Anonymousreply 190November 14, 2022 3:03 AM

R189 = It is 100% true. Jerry Douglas gave an interview to one of the soap magazines after Terry Lester died. He said the last time he saw Terry Lester was when he visited the YR set a few years before he died. He said Terry was very physically sick and then broke down and said (to Jerry) that he should never have left Young+Restless. I believe it happened. Like I said, Terry was struggling with his health (we all know) and I just thought it was so disgusting of Jerry D. to reveal. This visit was in the late 90s. It was not uncommon for castmates to return for visits. The LB "scandal" was years past and there was never bad blood between TL and Peter Bergman.. I never had respect for Jerry after he gave that interview.

by Anonymousreply 191November 14, 2022 3:09 AM

Terry was very unhappy.

I didn't see any of Jack's screentime be diminished after Cricket became a Jabot supermodel.

If ratings had suffered when Cricket was on, Lauralee would have been shoved to the backburner or off to B&B when it debuted as a fourth Logan sibling so fast her head would have spun. Bill was a businessman. A devoted family man but a businessman. He was good pals with Susan Hayes but when Joanna Manning wasn't clicking the right way, he didn't renew her contract. (That opened the door for her to return to DAYS where she belongs anyway.)

Terry not only quit Y&R, which had solid story but stuff dialogue to Santa Barbara that had zany story and great dialogue. He wasn't happy there either.

When you get a role on a soap and even if it's only halfway decent (and let's face it, Jack is a great character) then, you jump on board, you weather the rough patches, and you ride the gravy train all the way till the end.

I don't think Terry was a bad person but he made the wrong choices. Should Jerry have shared what he did? Maybe it provided a cautionary tale to some other soap guy who made smarter choices as a result.

by Anonymousreply 192November 16, 2022 2:35 AM

LA actors can be particularly superficial and vindictive. Jerry Douglas was yet another example of one.

by Anonymousreply 193November 16, 2022 3:15 AM

stuff = stiff

R193, that's putting it mildly. They can only see things how they affect them. Doug Davidson's a millionaire many times over from his work at Y&R and when fans tweet they've stopped watching the show b/c he's gone, he'll tweet something back like 'thank you.'

Not 'thank you but I still have many friends there; the show was good to me for many years and you never know when the phone will ring; please continue to support my friends."

No. He can't do that. Everything is 'they're horrible people.' If he really wants to act so badly, he can build a theater and do love letters with all his past leading ladies and let the legions of fans who love him come and see him perform.

Christian LeBlanc was taken off contract around the same time; he got busy with his life; he went to Kate Linder's fan events in Canada; surprise, surprise, the show ended up calling him back, gave him a special 30th-anniversary episode, and he's still working on the show.

Not Doug. He does nothing but bitch and complain. The more he does it, the less likely they are to have him back out of spite.

by Anonymousreply 194November 16, 2022 3:34 AM

To me, it felt like Jerry Douglas was betraying a confidential conversation. And also describing Terry Lesters physical appearance as being sick. Instead of giving a remembrance of a co-worker who had just passed, Jerry ran off at the mouth with gossip. Jerry Douglas married a woman 40 years YOUNGER than himself and had a bad toupee. He was hardly someone to judge.

by Anonymousreply 195November 16, 2022 3:34 AM

A lot of people in soaps pointed out the age difference, but Jerry and Kym stayed together and Jerry lived to see their son graduate from college.

I want to see the article that had the interview Jerry gave and I'd like to know who wrote it.

I'm not saying that it doesn't exist.

by Anonymousreply 196November 16, 2022 3:40 AM

Jerry was in his 60s when his son was born. A miracle?. Jerry gave the interview to Soap Opera Weekly (which has since been cancelled since there are no longer soap operas). It was just a vile thing Jerry did.

by Anonymousreply 197November 16, 2022 4:06 AM

I'm 60 and I wouldn't do it even if I won't that huge 2 billion dollar lotto.

He got the best possible deal, living till his son was out of college.

Alec Baldwin is on his sixth kid this go-round and he's older than Jerry was when Hunter was born.

They'll all have each other but what if they don't get along; Alec will go to the youngest's high school graduation in a wheelchair probably.

Life is short.

by Anonymousreply 198November 16, 2022 5:28 AM

Getting back to Springfield, I do miss Guiding Light the most; I 'm young enough to recall the Dobson era and the deep characterizations; Doug Marland turned the show into a town I truly wanted to live in....a few WTF regimes after he left and then this crew from Texas -- Gail, Pam, and Richard Culliton come over -- and I'm like WHOA; I love this show!

Reilly DeMorest and Curley (sp?) had a solid run but Jill turned the show into Santa Light; Megan and Laibson brought some of the old time familiarity back and Reva's return was overdue....after that? Rare moments of enjoyment.

I miss Pam's GL and Doug's ATWT the most.

by Anonymousreply 199November 16, 2022 3:31 PM

I’m happy for the cast, crew and fans of Neighbours but isn’t Amazon an American based company? Can’t Jeff Bezos fucking buy P&G and put revivals of ATWT, GL and AW on Freevee?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200November 17, 2022 4:37 PM

by Anonymousreply 201November 19, 2022 1:02 AM

R200 = You could be onto something...I think other soaps could be making money on Youtube or some other platform. Bradley Bell (whose family created and owns Bold+Beautiful) is releasing 3 episodes a day of past seasons on YT. Thousands of views every episode. I am currently watching 1992---Brooke is pregnant (whose the daddy)..Sheila shows up and the Lauren Fenmore feud leaps from Genoa City to L.A...Ridge marries Taylor the first time....Sally Spectra and Stephanie both circle around Jack...It was a really good season..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202November 19, 2022 1:21 AM

I wonder why P&G is so tight-fisted with their soaps? Worse dreck gets a place on streaming platforms these days - why not make a few bucks with little or no effort.

by Anonymousreply 203November 19, 2022 2:26 PM

Because to P&G, the soaps were something to fill time between the commercials that sold their earth-killing products. And once they stopped making them, they truly gave no fucks as to who might want to see them again.

by Anonymousreply 204November 19, 2022 2:31 PM

You would think ABC/Disney would want to make money off AMC, OLTL, GH, LOVING, RH, etc etc by putting it on streaming....What is the point of having thousands of hours of content and not making money off of it?

by Anonymousreply 205November 20, 2022 12:24 AM

Maybe Disney has something planned for down the line.

But it's not just as simple as just posting the episodes on the web or on a streaming service.

They's have to digitize all the episodes from the 80s and 90s and early 2000s, plus have to get clearance for all the songs used in the episodes, or substitute out something else for those songs.

They'd also have to pay residuals to the actors, writers and crew involved in each episode.

by Anonymousreply 206November 20, 2022 12:37 AM

[quote] plus have to get clearance for all the songs used in the episodes, or substitute out something else for those songs.

This is the biggest issue, because most of the shows were produced so cheaply that they didn't dub in music - if you heard something, that song was playing in the background as filming happened. So there's no way to separate the music from the video.

This is, I believe, what stopped repeats of both RH and The Doctors from playing any farther than they did.

by Anonymousreply 207November 20, 2022 12:55 AM

R206 - I doubt Disney has any future plans. Not to be pissy but I just I don't believe the old excuses of music rights or RE-paying the actors. Residuals would be minimal at best and could be worked out with SAG-AFTRA. The Bold/Beautiful is re-airing original full seasons on Youtube and even using Young/Restless flashbacks while crediting the footage in the closing credits (LINK). BB is proving it can be done and you don't see ANY actors or composers complaining about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208November 20, 2022 12:57 AM

Haven't seen the Kathryn Hays tribute from a few days ago yet. I think I have to be by myself when I see it, because I know I will cry.

by Anonymousreply 209November 20, 2022 6:59 PM

I would have loved to have moved into Bob and Kim's garage apartment after Mac and Nancy moved to the senior living.

And if I'd moved in when Hank Elliot was their boarder? well, so be it.

by Anonymousreply 210November 20, 2022 7:51 PM

Let's play baby oil wrestling, R210.

Who do you want to be, Andy Dixon or Holden Snyder?

by Anonymousreply 211November 20, 2022 7:56 PM

In Rockford, jumping off a bridge is the most productive thing one can do improve their station in life.

by Anonymousreply 212November 20, 2022 7:59 PM

The Kathryn Hays tribute was very sweet. Shame that Scott DeFreitas wasn’t there, though. I wish Larry Bryggman would do a one on one interview with Alan but he’d probably bitch and moan too much about Alan’s precious ATWT. Alan mentioned the controversial storyline of Dr. John raping his wife but Bryggman claimed to have little memory of it. Alan should have specified that the victim was Dee, not Kim.

by Anonymousreply 213November 20, 2022 9:25 PM

Shush.

by Anonymousreply 214November 20, 2022 9:26 PM

[quote]I just I don't believe the old excuses of music rights

Music rights issues have kept many a show from having DVD collections until the music was removed. The music industry really cracked down on music use after Napster and all of that.

JFP said it herself, they never thought about original music being played and no one ever came after them. But when they did, it caused a major problem for many shows.

Most soaps just recorded everything on videotape. There weren't separate tracks for music until later. So you just can't remove the music and replace it, like you could in filmed productions.

As someone who loves old soaps, I agree with the production companies that old soaps are for a very niche market. And it may not always be profitable for companies to use resources to transfer those big videotapes to digital and figure out the residual mess for such little return.

by Anonymousreply 215November 20, 2022 9:47 PM

R215 = I get what you are saying.....Found this link....Maybe you are right...I just don't see the value of composers getting zilch for old soap music. Surely they would want a few bucks over getting zilch. The article link talks about giant musicians like Pink Floyd. That isn't the same realm of soap composers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216November 20, 2022 11:31 PM

I wasn't talking about soap composers. I'm not sure how old you are, but if you recall, in the 80s and 90s soaps used popular music quite a bit. Background and source music composed for the show, belongs to the show and isn't a problem. It's the top 40 stuff that they all used back in the day. All those top 40 love themes for couples, the top 40 music played in the background for various scenes. That is the problem and most it wasn't recorded on a separate track which makes it easy to remove.

If I'm not mistaken, there may be ways around it for broadcast airing. But for replays in other media, that is the problem. Even YouTube removes old clips with popular music for copyright violations if someone complains.

by Anonymousreply 217November 20, 2022 11:50 PM

Beth and Lujack on horse on beach while Almost Paradise plays.

Starts at 3:15.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218November 21, 2022 12:28 AM

Rights made a lot of 80s and 90s shows notoriously expensive and/or challenging to release.

by Anonymousreply 219November 21, 2022 4:13 AM

I believe actor contracts didn’t address residuals until very late in the game. I believe no one had the foresight to consider re-airings. Much like reruns of many early nighttime shows (Gilligan’s Island, Leave it to Beaver, Brady Bunch) didn’t pay actors after the first (in some cases second) airings.

by Anonymousreply 220November 21, 2022 9:05 PM

When Edge of Night moved to ABC in late 1975, the network wanted to have an additional airing in late night, say at 12 midnight or so.

The Edge actors never could come to terms with ABC on how much they should be paid for that second airing, so ABC dropped the idea.

by Anonymousreply 221November 21, 2022 9:30 PM

Alina Adams, who wrote a lot of the tie in books for P&G and was in their PR department for years, is doing a written serial for SoapHub based on Irna Phillips' life.

The first "chapter" is linked below, I think there's four or five posted now. It's interesting, so far.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222November 22, 2022 1:42 PM

R222 I think Alina Adams was ahead of her time - a few years ago she wrote an “interactive” book on soaps. The book had links to YouTube videos embedded into the text. The book was a time capsule recapping important moments in the genre’s history. Last time I looked at it most of the links were dead.

by Anonymousreply 223November 22, 2022 2:05 PM

Alina also wrote the Another World continuation that was online for some time.

She either had or executed a lot of great ideas but I don't think P&G ever caught on to what could have been done in that area.

by Anonymousreply 224November 22, 2022 2:29 PM

Whatever happened with the Twitter account written by someone posing as Mindy Lewis which continued the Guiding Light adventures after the show's cancellation?

Apparently, P&G hired someone to write that daily series of tweets. It was officially sanctioned by P&G, just like the Another World Today continuation that came out at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 225November 22, 2022 4:20 PM

In my early internet days, I remember someone posing as Emily Stewart had a webpage in which we could read all the Oakdale news that was fit to print.

by Anonymousreply 226November 22, 2022 4:59 PM

^^^ Lucinda’s City Times was not pleased.

by Anonymousreply 227November 22, 2022 5:02 PM

R225 I vaguely remember that. I think that was when P&G was still trying to convince us of the folly that somehow GL and ATWT would continue elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 228November 22, 2022 5:12 PM

Christopher Cross has tweeted he never got a nickel for all those times GH played 'Think of Laura' when Genie came back in late 1983.

They must have played it every day for over a month.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229November 23, 2022 5:05 PM

Christopher Cross got a lot of record sales from GH playing "Think of Laura" every day for a month.

I know I went out and bought the album. Plenty of other people did too.

GH should have paid the royalties on the song, but him complaining that GH ripped him off when the show sent his album sales skyrocketing is disingenuous.

by Anonymousreply 230November 23, 2022 6:10 PM

Cross made a big splash with the first album and "Sailing" but "Think of Laura" actually revived sales for an album that had slumped in its original release.

So R230 is correct - it's disingenuous for him to claim financial loss/hardship, when those copies wouldn't have sold without a soap storyline practically handselling it for months.

by Anonymousreply 231November 23, 2022 7:32 PM

[quote] Christopher Cross has tweeted he never got a nickel for all those times GH played 'Think of Laura' when Genie came back in late 1983.

Link?

by Anonymousreply 232November 23, 2022 9:49 PM

Oh, look. Exactly three seconds of searching that apparently Miss Fat Whore at R232 was unable to do yielded the very results R232 would have gotten if she had searched on her own.

You just know this has to be the "Where Are Your Sources?" cunt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233November 23, 2022 11:03 PM

are we M'd?

(I'm guessing yes, because on one front it's blissfully quiet)

by Anonymousreply 234November 26, 2022 2:54 AM

Thanksgiving dinner at Reva Bend is STILL giving me heartburn.

by Anonymousreply 235November 28, 2022 5:58 PM

I had a wonderful time on the eavesdropping porch. A good meal brings out the best gossip!

Donna Love certainly is a vixen!

India von Halkien never ceases to amaze me.

And Mike Kasnoff certainly does know how to be flexible and sexually fluid.

by Anonymousreply 236November 28, 2022 6:28 PM

If I recall correctly, fluid is something Mr. Kasnoff has to spare!

by Anonymousreply 237November 28, 2022 6:33 PM

If memory serves, Kim wouldn't let her son play a gay character on "World Turns." Evan Hansis got the job.

by Anonymousreply 238November 28, 2022 6:37 PM

R238 Your memory sucks.

That was a rumor, but Jake had signed up for something he thought was recurring, and then they decided to have the Luke comes out story, which was more than Jake could handle at the time (he was learning and still in HS himself) and so they recast.

Jake Weary has since played a gay character (his current character is gay) so....no.

And it's Miss VAN Hansis, not Evan.

by Anonymousreply 239November 28, 2022 6:42 PM

Was looking at Digest online this AM and according to them, Kim Zimmer and Vincent Irizarry started on GL on the same day - today - in 1983.

by Anonymousreply 240November 28, 2022 6:48 PM

...and against GH, which had the culmination of the "Think of Laura" scenes that same day, with Luke seeing Laura alive.

by Anonymousreply 241November 28, 2022 6:57 PM

Vince was just a day player for his first three episodes. It was only after viewers noticed and reacted to him that they put him on contract.

by Anonymousreply 242November 28, 2022 7:38 PM

R239 Luke's real name is Evan Vanfossen Hansis .

by Anonymousreply 243November 28, 2022 7:48 PM

Is Van still in the acting field?

by Anonymousreply 244November 28, 2022 7:51 PM

Liz, I've heard that about Vince in quite a few interviews, but in others he said he was tested with Beverlee.

So I don't know if both are true, or if they decided Lujack was also Brandon later on.

by Anonymousreply 245November 28, 2022 8:43 PM

Beverlee didn't join the show until Feb. 1984.

Vince started in Nov. 1983. I doubt he ever had a screen test since he started as a day player.

They may have tested Vince with Beverlee to see if there was any chemistry before committing to making them mother and son, but both would have already been on contract by that point.

Lujack was revealed to be Alexandra's son in May 1984.

by Anonymousreply 246November 28, 2022 8:51 PM

Thank you R246.

That clears up the timeline for me.

by Anonymousreply 247November 28, 2022 9:06 PM

R244, ...still?

and R239, it's 'HAM' Hansis.

by Anonymousreply 248November 28, 2022 9:57 PM

Van Hansis seems to be one of "those" gays. The "LOOK AT ME" gays. Is he still married to this clown?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249November 29, 2022 3:15 AM

I do like that Van and hubby don't shave their chest hair. They also didn't cover themselves in trashy tattoos. Nice!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250November 29, 2022 3:26 AM

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 251November 29, 2022 4:07 AM

I mean....MARY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252November 29, 2022 4:08 AM

MARY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253November 29, 2022 2:19 PM

LIZ!

Reading that low born gutter tramp Sharly Frame for FILTH!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254November 29, 2022 7:18 PM

Aw....her reaction was sweet (she's surprised by former costars midway through).

Never was a big fan of her Michelle but she's OK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255November 30, 2022 9:09 PM

R254 wow; thanks for posting this.

Aunt Liz on FIRE!

Using history to tell current story.

It's too bad they didn't keep the Matthews clan going.

by Anonymousreply 256December 1, 2022 1:27 AM

R256 Never saw her like that before.

A bitch was FURIOUS!

by Anonymousreply 257December 1, 2022 1:31 AM

That was probably the most work that lIrene Dailey had done on AW since the 70s.

There were legacy characters they could have brought back if someone was there to remind them of the show’s history-Liz had a grandson by her son Bill who would have been Jamie’s age; Sally’s son (Alice’s grandson) Kevin; and the Randolph kids presumably had children offscreen.

by Anonymousreply 258December 1, 2022 2:22 AM

OMG, Liz Hubbard is turning 89 this month! Don Hastings will be 89 in the spring. Eileen Fulton turned 89 in September.

Larry Bryggman is a spring chicken at a youthful 83.

by Anonymousreply 259December 3, 2022 3:48 AM

Kathleen Cullen sits down with Miss Locher on 12/9.

by Anonymousreply 260December 3, 2022 7:54 PM

I LOVED Kathleen Cullen!

by Anonymousreply 261December 7, 2022 1:28 AM

Of ALL the people who have passed through either ATWT or GL's doors, I really would have never expected E.J. Bonilla to have further success after his tepid appearances as Rafe.

And yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262December 7, 2022 7:36 PM

R262 = Whoever he is, he is fat.

by Anonymousreply 263December 7, 2022 9:59 PM

EJ Bonita played a Hispanic Spaulding.

He was the son of Gus Aituro and Natalie Rivera.

But the show never did much with Rafe's Spaulding roots.

by Anonymousreply 264December 7, 2022 10:05 PM

I remember Randy Hamilton at R44 from a kids' show on Nickelodeon called [italic]America Goes Bananaz.[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265December 7, 2022 10:09 PM

R264 = Oh Yeah...Forgot about him....Here he is in his twink/fem days. He must have taken acting lessons because he wasn't very good. This is when GL gave the actors camcorders and said "good luck" on creating a soap opera....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266December 7, 2022 10:29 PM

EJ was and is fuggo de fuguloso. I can't believe he's still working, while Zach Conroy, the scion of Pendulousness, is not!

Or should I say, not working as an actor. He's a money guy now. And 37 (!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267December 7, 2022 11:30 PM

Zack Conroy shirtless.....You're welcome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268December 8, 2022 12:02 AM

R262, sometimes it's the ones you least suspect; the quiet ones who get through; personally, I thought Mary Kay Adams had a huge career in front of her;

She worked in LA but not enough; she needed a prime time soap role akin to India to give her a solid run.

Some should never soaps because they're so good in soaps; she was one of them.

by Anonymousreply 269December 8, 2022 5:32 PM

Zack was a sweet kid (a sweet man, now, I imagine) but honestly, he could not act his way out of a paper bag

He was well cast as Phillip's son on GL because there was a physical similarity but he didn't get dad's acting genes. Not by a long shot.

He just kind of stood there and wait for it to happen. So many young people are pretty and think they can become actors; do they take classes and learn the basics? Break down a scene? Create an intent? Conflict?

by Anonymousreply 270December 8, 2022 5:42 PM

R270 Oh, yeah, absolutely.

Grant was that age once, but he was a diamond in the rough. He had a stage presence and understood how to use it, or how to learn how best to use it. He also had some great teachers on set.

Zach was unfortunately a coat hanger model that had no real presence on screen.

by Anonymousreply 271December 8, 2022 8:13 PM

R271, it's like he didn't even try or didn't know how to.

Check this clip out from GL's final days. James learned he can freaking SAVE HIS FATHER'S LIFE and acts like he just won 50 bucks on a scratcher.

Imagine what Chavez would have done with that scene?

Had the show continued there was so much potential for Phillip and James to repeat the mistakes of Alan and Phillip. Maybe he would have improved in time, as Grant could have taught him a lot. (Please no jokes. Not everything has to be about the pendulous one's pendulousness.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272December 8, 2022 10:39 PM

I've never seen Zach/James before, r272, but it looks more as if the script writer didn't give him much to say in that scene. Or was he so bad, he flubbed his lines?

by Anonymousreply 273December 8, 2022 11:17 PM

"So I can SAVE MY DAD!!!!"

"OKAY, So, I MIGHT BE able to save MY DAD!"

"Dad, EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE OKAY; it's going to be GREAT! The two of us are going to beat the odds!"

The more Phillip yelled at him, the more he should have taken his remaining lines and YELLED THEM BACK: HE WANTS TO SAVE HIS FATHER.

He wasn't playing the true reality of the situation.

He was bad.

You don't have to have a lot of lines to get your point across, to be present in the scene.

Grant went all out o the kid, maybe it they'd had more time they could have turned it in to something more, but at this point they were shooting the how outside in a parking lot it looks like and it was over.

Compare that to this nearly 25 years earlier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274December 9, 2022 12:17 AM

[quote] When Edge of Night moved to ABC in late 1975, the network wanted to have an additional airing in late night, say at 12 midnight or so. The Edge actors never could come to terms with ABC on how much they should be paid for that second airing, so ABC dropped the idea.

Many ABC affiliates would not air Edge at 4PM but would air the program at midnight or even 1 AM - Ratings were quite good in the late night airings

According to Sharon Gabet (Raven) ABC was willing to continue airing Edge of Night, because it was making money for them. But P&G wanted out of "Edge of Night" as they were getting out of the 30 minute genre, preferring to focus on the one-hour shows.

by Anonymousreply 275December 9, 2022 12:29 AM

R274, the link you posted started automatically at 4:10 or so. Philip yelled, and James just walked away. That's all I saw. Then I played it from the beginning and it actually started with Philip and James around 3:00. I don't have any opinion on the guy. I hadn't watched the show since a little after Maureen died. I don't think Philip had children who had pubic hair at that point.

I can say this. My father was a screamer. Sometimes the fastest way to get him to stop ranting was to not scream back at him. That's what occurred to me, watching that scene. I have no idea whether the actor was any good.

by Anonymousreply 276December 9, 2022 12:29 AM

To be fair, GL had the budget of an office Christmas party by that time, so they couldn't hire someone with talent. They hired pretty boy Zack to play James.

Oh, and that fat girl.

by Anonymousreply 277December 9, 2022 1:10 AM

R276 I'm sorry your dad was a screamer.

Mine was the best guy ever -- from what I've been told and what little I can remember; he died when I was five.

I'm glad you found something effective to do in real life to deal with his yelling.

But in scripted fare, you need to have two actors who can go head to head with one another; the Phillip/Alan scene is a great example of that.

They were soaps' best father/son pair in terms of drama. Perhaps Zack would have gotten better in time.

by Anonymousreply 278December 9, 2022 11:10 PM

I think it's hard to compare the skills of people who started in soaps in the 70s and 80s, when the shows had bigger budgets and more importantly, lots of rehearsal time. Shows would also hire on set acting coaches. When the budgets got tighter, things like acting coaches and rehearsal time fell by the wayside. A lot of the young actors, who do well, have natural talent or take it upon themselves to find the extra time to do the extra work to improve their performances. It really depends on the individual.

by Anonymousreply 279December 9, 2022 11:19 PM

It's so hard to know when to take any DLer's criticism of any performance or any other kind of artistic endeavor seriously. Most of you hate everything, and I don't hate most of whom and what you people hate. He was certainly a beautiful young man, Zach/James.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280December 9, 2022 11:22 PM

Zack in a towel!!! Zack in Jeans and a black tee!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281December 9, 2022 11:49 PM

Zack is beautiful and seems very nice.

I didn't hate him in the role but I certainly didn't think he'd be a solid young actor -- GL had turned out many over the decades including Kevin Bacon, Grant Aleksander, Rick Hearst....I think Leonard Stabb would have been one had he not had that tragic accident.

Zack had potential but I never saw it fulfilled either on GL or B&B.

The legendary Betty Rea found Bacon, Grant, Hearst, and Stabb -- but she had retired and then died by the time they went back to hiring models on a regular basis.

That woman went out to plays and searched for talent. I don't know that every casting director does that.

by Anonymousreply 282December 10, 2022 4:07 AM

[quote] Most of you hate everything

Nah, but thanks for playing.

Wanting something to be better doesn't mean we hate it.

by Anonymousreply 283December 10, 2022 4:38 AM

Robert Gentry is DEAD TO ME!

He died on Sept. 17, 2022 according to the SAG AFTRA fall magazine. His name is near the bottom of the last column of names linked below.

No cause of death listed. He was 81.

He played Ed Bauer on GL in the late 1960s and again briefly circa 1997-98. Also played Phillip Lyons, whom Iris hired to lure Cecile away from Dennis, on AW from 1979-81.

He is probably best known for playing Ross Chandler (Palmer's son and Adam's nephew) on AMC from 1984-1990.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284December 14, 2022 4:36 AM

Here's an August 1980 AW episode that includes Phillip Lyons.

He's in the scene that starts about 19:30 and again in a scene that starts at 33:00.

This episode also includes Susan Keith as the original Cecile as well as Rachel-Mitch Blake scenes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285December 14, 2022 4:54 AM

Here's another 1980 episode featuring a good confrontation between Phillip Lyons and Cecile. It starts about 33;30.

Episode also features Judith McConnell as Miranda Bishop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286December 14, 2022 5:10 AM

RIP, Robert Gentry; he was the Forrester attorney Elliot somebody after for some reason the show got rid of Perry Stephens who played Steve Crown. He was key in the BeLieF storyline.

I know everyone loves loves loves Nancy Frangione as Cecile but I really enjoyed Susan Keith in the role. She certainly laid all the ground and had her years of manipulation.

by Anonymousreply 287December 14, 2022 6:17 AM

R287 = Perry Stephens died. Only 47.. DL knows what that means.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288December 14, 2022 7:05 AM

Thank you Liz.

I know there was some erroneous report at some time in the last year or two that Robert had died. I guess this one is the correct report.

by Anonymousreply 289December 14, 2022 11:49 AM

R288 I would normally agree that a young death in that era suggests AIDS but not so sure

PERRY STEPHENS

Perry Stephens, 47, of Hemet, died Sept. 8 at Hemet Valley Medical Center.

Services will be private. McWane Family Funeral Home in Hemet is handling arrangements.

Mr. Stephens, who was born in Germany, lived in Hemet one year. He was an actor for 25 years.

He is survived by his wife, Jenny of Los Angeles; his parents, Allan Moody and Peggy, both of Alabama; and a sister, Robin Farley of Kentucky.

Remembrances to Hemet Hospice.

by Anonymousreply 290December 14, 2022 11:50 AM

Perry Stephens died in 2005, not the 1980s or 1990s.

Nothing about his death implies AIDS to me. As I recall, he was rather religious and seemingly devoted to his wife . Wikipedia says he died of liver failure. Perhaps some genetic defect. Or maybe he was a heavy drinker. Or both.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291December 14, 2022 4:24 PM

Weird that he moved to literally the middle of nowhere and his wife was in LA?

by Anonymousreply 292December 14, 2022 4:48 PM

The only thing in Hemet is meth and that creepy Scientology center where Shelly Miscaviage is supposedly being held.

by Anonymousreply 293December 14, 2022 5:02 PM

Kathleen Cullen was a fun interview. I enjoyed hearing her story.

Interestingly, Alan handled himself differently with this interview. He acts like a professional, like a reporter interviewing someone, instead of like a fanboy talking to a longtime idol.

First off, he did his homework before this interview. During the intro, he stated that she started as Amanda in August 1978 and left in August 1983. I don't think I've ever seen him list an actor's start and stop dates like that before. Glad he now knows how to look those things up.

Even more amazing, he asked a provocative question that he's always avoided asking in past interviews. He asked Kathleen if it was her choice or the show's choice that she leave (in August 1983). She indicated they didn't renew her contract.

Bravo to Alan for conducting himself more like a professional. Glad you know how to do your research and ask some probing questions that the fans want answers to. Hope this is a trend that continues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294December 14, 2022 5:50 PM

Great, Liz!

Maybe he's FINALLY realized that none of us work for P&G any more!

by Anonymousreply 295December 14, 2022 6:08 PM

R294, nice of you to give props; I think he's growing as an interview. Plus, I think it helps when he has something in common with his subject -- GL -- but doesn't know them personally. He can be a bit more objective.

Most actors are nice and the divas and assholes are the divas and the assholes; generally, pubs take a lot of shit from talent.

Alan's job was to promote the SHOW; that doesn't mean any C- player who's on 3x a month can call him up and ask for a cover or a feature in Soap Opera Weekly and, add, 'oh, can you get me free tickets for the Lion King? I'll pose by a poster after the show. I need four seats.'

by Anonymousreply 296December 14, 2022 6:10 PM

this thread has been

BLISSFULLY calm

by Anonymousreply 297December 14, 2022 8:32 PM

R291 = I know people who died of AIDS in 2005 and 2006. I guess you had the cure?

by Anonymousreply 298December 15, 2022 4:55 AM

[quote] “I had a young man come up to me in the airport and tell me he’d watched me with his mother since her was a young boy.”

IS THAT SOME SORT OF TRANS REFERENCE?!?!

by Anonymousreply 299December 15, 2022 5:07 AM

I wonder what Bill Shanks looks like these days.

I used to dream about him. Beautiful, sexy voice, furry body......damn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300December 15, 2022 2:07 PM

Shanks was not only hot but Casey was adorable; remember him chasing after Lyla in the house when he was wearing a gorilla mask?

I THINK that episode helped ATWT take home the gold in 1987.

Doug Marland's agent and P&G should have gotten together gotten him a consulting producer credit so he could have shared in the Emmy glory in 1987 and 1991.

I wish he had lived so much and gone on eventually to AW (he would have brought that show back to life) and also, OLTL. He'd have written the hell out of Viki -- I could see her going in and out of personas while on the witness stand.

by Anonymousreply 301December 15, 2022 4:47 PM

Marland would have ended up working with some asshole like John Conboy or Paul Rauch or Jill Phelps, or under Brian Frons, and he would have quit daytime by 2000 or so.

He would have excelled at both AW and (if he had buried the hatchet with Agnes Nixon) AMC.

by Anonymousreply 302December 15, 2022 5:16 PM

[quote]I wish he had lived so much and gone on eventually to AW (he would have brought that show back to life)

Ironically, Marland's first daytime writing gig was at AW in the mid 1970s under Pete Lemay.

He proved so adapt at writing daytime, he quickly moved over be HW at The Doctors.

by Anonymousreply 303December 15, 2022 5:28 PM

I can't say I ever saw the Doctors; wish I had; Marland next went to GH and saved the show; he was briefly at ATWt at some point and then went to GL -- Nola! Vanessa! Alan/Hope! Kelly/Morgan! Carrie/Ross! -- then, LOVING, then ATWT.

I think his five best stories were 1) Bobbie/Scotty/Laura GH 2) Lesley/Rick/Monica/Alan on GH 3) Quint/Nola/Kelly/Morgan on GL 4) ATWT's Douglas Cummings and 5) ATWt's Lily's maternity ....also, ATWT's Barbara/Tom/Margo and Kim/Susan/Bob

by Anonymousreply 304December 15, 2022 7:46 PM

Marland had a certain appeal and a certain range of stories and yes, he may not have hit a home run every time. A hard thing to do for any HW.

But one of the things that I noticed at the time of his death, as well as the cancellations of ATWT and GL, is that he knew how to write stories that both paid attention to history and yet moved characters in new directions. And his stories and/or characters were still playing out years later.

Lucinda and Lily were kind of directionless when they were first introduced, but he gave Lucinda's manic energy a purpose, and her love for - yet controlling nature of - her daughters, especially Lily, was still playing out when the show ended.

The other stories mentioned fueled stories for so, so many years, and permanently changed those shows.

by Anonymousreply 305December 15, 2022 8:08 PM

This is about AMC but the moment Jackie Hoffman talks about her love of AMC and about Erica's big moment (starts around 15:00) is very lovely.

Jackie gets it. These shows went well beyond "fluff."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306December 16, 2022 12:25 PM

Perused the new Digest. The letter section confirmed what I'd thought after watching the new Infiniti car commercial: that is indeed Scott Bailey (Sandy from GL) in the front seat.

by Anonymousreply 307December 16, 2022 5:42 PM

I remember rushing out to buy the latest issue of SOD but when I pick it up now, most of what's in there is old news, already out there on the Web or filler fluff.

They should do longer feature theme pieces and get actors to elaborate on what's happening in their lives. Information that goes beyond social media posts.

But it's just fluff.

by Anonymousreply 308December 16, 2022 7:01 PM

R308 - I couldn’t agree more. I still subscribe, but the magazine is mostly filled with items taken from social media, a recap of the podcast, and pages of inane questionnaires that also seem like compilations of IG posts.

by Anonymousreply 309December 18, 2022 3:49 PM

I have to agree with r307 and r308

I still get SOD but I do get the digital version mostly because the physical copy would not come on Thursday(I could buy it at the store on Thursdays) very often... sometimes it would come a week or 2 late or sometimes not at all.

I do have fond memories and it and I still like the thumbs up/thumbs down and the it's just my opinion sections but mostly it's due to nostalgia

by Anonymousreply 310December 18, 2022 3:58 PM

it's like they don't even try; when Michael Tylo died, they ran an Instagram quote from Kate Lnder who may never have been in more than a group scene with Blade or Rick, his characters.

They couldn't even be bothered with a photo retrospect of his career -- he'd been on AMC and, of course, GL as Quint.

Lisa Brown weighed in on of the soaps sites so she was up for giving a quote. And now, she's gone, too. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 311December 18, 2022 4:05 PM

The reality is that we process information differently now. We're in a digital world and print simply cannot compete.

by Anonymousreply 312December 18, 2022 4:06 PM

After subscribing to Soap Digest since the 80s, I finally let go of my subscription a few years ago.

What finally pushed me over the edge was the fact six weeks worth of issues were not delivered and I didn't notice! What made me realize it hadn't been coming was the fact the next one was delivered (the first one in six weeks).

I phoned SOD to complain and they promised to send the six missing issues, but they never came. I phoned again to complain; they promised to send the missing issues, but they again never came.

I called a third and final time to ask for the missing issues to be sent to me (some 3-4 months after the issues were on the newsstand by this point). They said they didn't have any more copies of those six weeks available, but I could buy them from their back issues section for something like $6,99 each. I asked why they couldn't replace the missing issues from the back issues section since I had already paid for them via the subscription. They said that wasn't possible. Neither was giving me a discount for buying the back issues.

That told me how much SOD cared about me as a longtime customer. My subscription was up for renewal and I let it go.

Just to add insult to injury, NO ONE from Soap Digest ever called or wrote me asking why someone who had subscribed for 30+ years was not renewing his subscription! Or offering me a special deal to come back.

by Anonymousreply 313December 18, 2022 10:07 PM

When I complained about missing issues, they just extended my subscription

by Anonymousreply 314December 18, 2022 10:23 PM

R313 try working there!

by Anonymousreply 315December 18, 2022 11:04 PM

It's 7 bucks an issue plus tax.

For old news and late delivery.

It should come with a free digital subscription in case the print one doesn't show.

by Anonymousreply 316December 19, 2022 12:07 AM

Digest is beyond terrible. But they have, like, six people there now.

They used to run one, sometimes two feature articles an issue. Now they might do one or two over a month.

I haven't paid for a copy for 5+ years now. I stopped a while back when they had the 563,789,201nd Plan To Save Days and/or the 800th Eric Braeden's Grumpy Ass Face covers.

I do still read it sometimes when I remember to log onto my library's magazine site - they upload the new issue every Friday.

by Anonymousreply 317December 19, 2022 12:28 AM

I used to buy Soap Weekly (it was like a tabloid for soaps). They always had good dish and blind items. And I bought Soap Digest too. Loved them.

by Anonymousreply 318December 19, 2022 1:03 AM

SOD”s digital subscription is expensive.

by Anonymousreply 319December 19, 2022 1:07 AM

The actors overshare on social media; if they didn't, then the magazine would be more fresh.

But Eric Braeden just tweeted out that he's had knee replacement surgery.

Digest will have an item on this in two weeks or so.... with no new info either. No exclusive statement. That's my guess.

by Anonymousreply 320December 19, 2022 1:57 AM

R320 Correct. Only in the rarest of situations do they make an effort to contact the stars now. When Lisa Brown and Jerry ver Dorn died what they printed was almost entirely remembrances shared on Twitter.

I guess they can pay the writer less if it's just regurgitated. Or they make the editors do it.

by Anonymousreply 321December 19, 2022 2:01 AM

the writers are staff but they're not reporters; reporters pick up the phone and get the story.

One of the sites had Lisa Brown on Tylo; and Grant and Maeve -- who I don't think are on social much if at all -- talked about Jerry.

I used to buy SOD and there was so much in there. I get that there are only four shows now but ....I don't see much in there that is not already out there on social.

by Anonymousreply 322December 19, 2022 5:20 AM

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323December 20, 2022 3:19 AM

I always remember Liz Hubbard and Martha Byrne's birthdays, being so close to Christmas as they are.

Happy 89th to Liz tomorrow, and Martha will be 53 on Friday.

by Anonymousreply 324December 22, 2022 12:41 AM

Today would be Christmas Day in Oakdale, Bay City and Springfield.

"Nick" would be visiting some forlorn soul in Springfield.

Nancy Hughes would be making her famous rum balls for those ungrateful children and grandchildren of hers, gossiping to Ellen Stewart all the while.

And Ada would be busy, her dishtowel working overtime today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325December 23, 2022 2:13 PM

Thanks for sharing that, R325. What an amazing cast! I only meant to watch a couple of minutes but watched the whole episode.

by Anonymousreply 326December 23, 2022 5:41 PM

ATWT had the cast singing “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” at the end of the Christmas 1987 show.

It cracks me up. Larry Bryggman looks like he’s having a root canal, Tamara Tunie and Billy Eilish’s mom look bored and annoyed, and vinegary old bitch Helen Wagner can’t carry a tune.

I love it, its like watching family. I loved when they all sang “I’ll be Home for Christmas” in 1990, and poor Susan was by herself because Emily didn’t come home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327December 23, 2022 7:41 PM

This one from the year before always gets me right in the feels....Beth is finally reunited with Lillian at the end of the episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328December 23, 2022 7:46 PM

Love it, R327. That was such a peak time for ATWT.

So sad to think so many are gone: Kathryn Hays (who looked great here), Lisa, Ben Hendrickson to name a few. And of course that vinegary old twat Helen Wagner.

As long as I have a face, Bill Shanks and Brian Bloom (in this video, anyway) have a place to sit.....

by Anonymousreply 329December 23, 2022 7:50 PM

R329 Lisa is still with us. 89 but still around.

by Anonymousreply 330December 23, 2022 10:30 PM

r328 How I would love to be able to go back to December, 1989, and be with everyone who was still alive then, and with whom I watched Guiding Light.

by Anonymousreply 331December 23, 2022 11:08 PM

I think r329 was referring to Lisa Brown who is dead

by Anonymousreply 332December 23, 2022 11:32 PM

Oh yea, R332.

Damn, I forgot she was dead. Fuck fuckety fuck. It's going to be depressing when Bob Hastings, Elizabeth Hubbard and Eileen Fulton die. Kathleen Widdoes and Larry Bryggman are no spring chickens either. The next few years will be grim for ATWT fans.

by Anonymousreply 333December 24, 2022 12:07 AM

Obviously, I meant Don Hastings at R333. Bob is already dead and didn't star on ATWT.

by Anonymousreply 334December 24, 2022 12:10 AM

R327, that was Billie Eilish's mom's last episode

Taylor Baldwin was trying to sink her fangs into Tom Hughes but Lisa cut her off; the next day, Kim said Taylor Baldwin up and quit and left Oakdale; it was abrupt.

by Anonymousreply 335December 24, 2022 12:22 AM

R332 yes I meant Lisa Brown. Sorry, my bad for not being clearer.

by Anonymousreply 336December 24, 2022 12:45 AM

36 years ago today, Search for Tomorrow aired its final episode.

As of next year, it will have been off the air as long as it was on the air.

by Anonymousreply 337December 27, 2022 12:10 AM

MARY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338December 27, 2022 3:48 AM

Who was a bigger bitch-Mary Stuart or Helen Wagner?

by Anonymousreply 339December 27, 2022 4:08 AM

Mary, even with one hand tied behind her back.

Helen's cuntery was subtle, like the scent of a wee droplet of vinegar, and mixed with equally subtle shade. Mary's cuntery was legendary.

by Anonymousreply 340December 27, 2022 4:45 AM

[quote] And Ada would be busy, her dishtowel working overtime today.

And Ada would be busy, her dishtowel working overtime today, [bold] giving her annual kicks in the cunt.[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 341December 27, 2022 12:49 PM

Ow!

by Anonymousreply 342December 27, 2022 5:42 PM

Can anyone elaborate on Mary’s cuntery? What did the old cunt do?

by Anonymousreply 343December 27, 2022 5:46 PM

R343

She was essentially the Helen Lawson of Search For Tomorrow. Her male costars didn't particularly care for her and any younger actress who the audience liked would end up on her shit list until they were driven out the door.

Many fans assume Mary was Jo and/or vice versa but she was definitely a crotchety old cunt.

And apparently her home life wasn't much warmer, one of her own kids essentially disowned her or severed ties, however you'd say that.

by Anonymousreply 344December 27, 2022 5:59 PM

Helen may have been a bit of a pearl clutcher/church lady priss on set, but she was by most accounts a nice person and supportive to other cast members.

She also had a fair number of charities she supported. I think that whole storyline with her teaching Lauryn Hill's character how to read was based on her own work with a library or literacy organization. Up to the end, she could often be found at one of these nonprofit orgs, manning an info table or doing a shift.

by Anonymousreply 345December 27, 2022 6:02 PM

Rita McLaughlin - Carol from ATWT - has died.

Alan Locher reported it on his FB page, apparently Rita's brother made a statement on *his* FB page.

by Anonymousreply 346December 27, 2022 9:16 PM

R346 - So sad to hear about Rita. Carol was a favorite of my mother’s. I don’t think we get characters like that much anymore.

by Anonymousreply 347December 28, 2022 3:57 PM

R346 - I remember Rita’s real life husband (who I think may have have been a minister in real life) used to recur as Oakdale’s minister, marrying lots of couples.

by Anonymousreply 348December 28, 2022 3:59 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349December 28, 2022 4:00 PM

I always thought they should have brought Carol’s kid or kids back in the 90s and have them live with the Hugheses as part of the Oakdale teen set.

Carol was one of those soap characters who were on the show for years, then left and were barely mentioned again.

by Anonymousreply 350December 28, 2022 4:26 PM

Ugh it had to happen sometimes.

Bradley "I Ruined Guiding Light" Cole on the Locher Room in the new year

by Anonymousreply 351December 28, 2022 4:27 PM

Dec. 28 was the 38th anniversary of the finale of Edge of Night!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352December 28, 2022 9:49 PM

Hard to believe that Joel Crothers looked so healthy and sexy in this final episode.

Yet less than a year later, he would be dead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353December 28, 2022 11:02 PM

Someone has been editing Joel's Wikipedia page. It used to mention that he was gay, but no longer.

The Wikipedia page section for his Personal Life currently says this:

[quote]Crothers was engaged to his good friend, actress Veleka Gray, at the time of his death.[4] They became close friends on the set when she joined the final season of Somerset, where they played the lovers Julian Cannell and Vicki Paisley.

Using the Wayback Machinem, this is what Joel's Wikipedia page in 2020 said for his Personal Life:

[quote]Though he had been openly gay among co-stars and others in the entertainment industry, Crothers was closeted publicly and was engaged to his good friend, actress Veleka Gray, at the time of his death.[4] They became close friends on the set when she joined the final season of Somerset, where they played the lovers Julian Cannell and Vicki Paisley.

For the Death section, both the 2020 and 2022 version say this:

[quote]During his last appearances on Santa Barbara, he was by then growing very ill. On November 6, 1985, Crothers died from AIDS-related[5] lymphoma in Los Angeles at the age of 44.[6] His remains were cremated and scattered in Lake George, New York.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354December 28, 2022 11:12 PM

Clearly Veleka has a Wikipedia account.

by Anonymousreply 355December 28, 2022 11:29 PM

It might have been our resident loon that edited that - he's the one that insists they were a hot and heavy item.

Joel may have been bearding to keep his AIDS diagnosis a secret.

by Anonymousreply 356December 28, 2022 11:45 PM

While Joel would have known he was at risk for getting AIDS, he wouldn't have known for sure that he had AIDS until he was showing symptoms, which apparently was in summer 1985, while he was appearing on Santa Barbara.

The first test for detecting HIV didn't come out until 1985.

by Anonymousreply 357December 29, 2022 12:01 AM

[quote]Joel may have been bearding to keep his AIDS diagnosis a secret.

Joel was bearding to keep his homosexuality a secret.

If anyone asked, he could claim that Veleka was the love of his life and they were engaged. It was not uncommon for gay men to have such a bearding relationship with a woman, especially in the entertainment world.

by Anonymousreply 358December 29, 2022 12:05 AM

Seems Joel's Wikipedia page has been edited several times over the years both in terms of his sexual orientation and his cause of death.

Thanks to the Wayback Machine, we can examine earlier years. This is the 2016 entry:

[quote]Though Crothers was gay, he remained in the closet publicly and was engaged to actress Veleka Gray at the time of his death. They became close friends on the set when they played the lovers Julian Cannell and Vicki Paisley in Somerset. He chose to share his sexual orientation only with his friends and co-workers.[3]

[quote]Crothers died from AIDS-related lymphoma on November 6, 1985.[4] His remains were cremated and scattered in Lake George, New York.

This is what it said in 2012:

[quote]Though Crothers was gay,[2] a fact he chose to share with his friends and co-workers, he remained in the closet publicly. He was engaged to actress Veleka Gray at the time of his death. Joel and Veleka had played the lovers Julian Cannell and Vicki Paisley on Somerset where they became close friends.

[quote]Crothers died from lymphoma on November 6, 1985.[3] His remains were cremated and scattered in Lake George, New York.

This is what it said in 2010:

[quote]Though Crothers was gay,[1] a fact he chose to share with his friends and co-workers, he remained in the closet publicly. He was engaged to actress Veleka Gray at the time of his death.[citation needed]

[quote]Crothers died from AIDS-related complications on November 6, 1985.[2] His remains were cremated and scattered in Lake George, New York.

This is 2008:

[quote]Though Joel was bisexual, a fact he chose to share with his friends and coworkers, he remained in the closet publicly. Joel left the cast when Torch Song transferred to Broadway. He was engaged to marry actress Veleka Gray at the time of his death.

[quote]Crothers died from cancer (some sources say he died from AIDS-related complications[citation needed]). His remains were cremated and scattered in Lake George, New York.

And this is from 2005:

[quote]Sadly, on November 6, 1985, the tall, handsome, and talented actor passed away from cancer. (Some sources claim he succumbed to AIDS.) His remains were cremated and scattered in Lake George, NY.

by Anonymousreply 359December 29, 2022 12:20 AM

We know Chris Bernau was the gayest gay that ever gayed but there was still a tremendous amount of "coy" around his private life, and his death.

by Anonymousreply 360December 29, 2022 12:20 AM

With all these changes over the years, I would suspect that someone in Joel's family is determined to wipe away references to his being gay.

by Anonymousreply 361December 29, 2022 1:44 AM

If anyone's interested, here's is a detailed report about the life of Dennis Parker, who played Police Chief Derek Mallory on Edge of Night. FYI: Parker used Wade Nichols as his porn name.

However, be warned, there article has conflicting stories about his cause of death and date of death.

His brother says he died after a long illness, not by suicide as has long been rumored.

And the date of his death seems to range from early Dec. 1984 to late January 1985.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362December 29, 2022 1:48 AM

Thanks for sharing that R362. It's nice that Sharon Gabet contributed and cleared up the rumor that she refused to work with him during the end. Also had no idea that Joey Phipps was his boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 363December 29, 2022 3:15 AM

Judith Chapman (ex-Natalie, ATWT) shared memories of working with Rita (ex-Carol, ATWT) in this story.

Rita was a big heroine as Carol Stallings on ATWT; surprised Doug didn't have her back for the show's big 30th anniversary in 1986. She was wed to both Tom Hughes and Steve Andropoulos during her 11 years on the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 364December 30, 2022 12:49 AM

Just saw a Digest writeup on a DAYS story playing out where Bonnie (Judi Evans) is held captive by a clown and thought....didn't ATWT do that with Barbara?

What is it with clowns and daytime?

by Anonymousreply 365December 30, 2022 2:26 PM

YouTube just pushed me this video of David Carroll and Linda Ronstadt as Rodolfo and Mimi in La Boheme.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366December 31, 2022 6:02 PM

R366 wrong thread?

by Anonymousreply 367December 31, 2022 6:27 PM

You have a point, r365.

Off the top of my head, Roger terrorizing Rita in the House of Mirrors in a clown suit comes to mind, as does Erica Kane’s father Eric.

Didn’t Somerset have a murder mystery involving a clown too?

by Anonymousreply 368December 31, 2022 6:31 PM

Jingles the Clown was on Somerset, Here is an episode with Jingles R368. Jingles shows up towards the end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369December 31, 2022 6:38 PM

r367 David Carroll played Marley's gynecologist on Another World. I couldn't find a scene with him and Anne Heche, but here's one with Hilary Edson. I'm sure we've discussed him in a Marvelous Midwestern Television thread before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370December 31, 2022 6:42 PM

Forty year ago, the final episode of Texas aired.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371December 31, 2022 10:46 PM

Gail Kobe and Pam Long migrated over to P&G show GL, which had lost its way since Doug Marland's departure.

They gave it a shot in the arm with lots of new characters, many actors from Texas.

GL entered a new Golden Age.

The only thing I might have done differently is kept Hope and Amanda and later, brought back Rita.

But, geez, the new GL with a bit of Texas thrown in was the best.

by Anonymousreply 372January 1, 2023 7:48 PM

So many people are of the opinion that Pam and Gail "ruined" GL.

I always thought they kept heart and family at the center of GL a lot longer than it might have otherwise been. Certainly Pat Falken Smith and some of the others would have just turned it into a DAYS clone or did what they did to Search (eg trying to copy Luke and Laura).

Marland did do a fine job at GH, and I think Pam benefited greatly from some of the groundwork that both the Dobsons and Marland had established as her predecessors.

by Anonymousreply 373January 1, 2023 8:26 PM

I know Marland didn’t work well with Agnes, but I wonder how a show co-written by Pam Long and Doug Marland would do. Their styles complimented each other.

by Anonymousreply 374January 1, 2023 9:20 PM

It's a New Year's Miracle!

John Wesley Shipp is scheduled for a Locher Room interview on Jan. 6.

by Anonymousreply 375January 1, 2023 11:06 PM

I think Pam and Gail did a great job at GL. For many years I blamed the Lewis invasion on PLH, but it appears they were in the works before Pam had gotten there, however I think under he pen they sort of ate the show. However, at the same time, the show needed something and I guess a new oil family, a disgruntled tramp, and a teen story breathed new life into the show.

[quote]I know Marland didn’t work well with Agnes, but I wonder how a show co-written by Pam Long and Doug Marland would do. Their styles complimented each other.

I think people have started to speak more candidly about Marland in the last few years. I get he feeling that he wasn't someone who wanted a writing partner. I'm pulling this out of my ass, but he may not have been a big fan of women with power.

by Anonymousreply 376January 1, 2023 11:53 PM

After Dallas hit it big, a ton of soaps had oil rich families. Weird to think the first Lewis was Trish, who came on as Vanessa's college friend.

by Anonymousreply 377January 1, 2023 11:59 PM

Doug brought on Trish and Josh (I think in that order); then Pam brought on Billy, Mindy, and HB

R373, I think you meant Doug did a fine job at GL -- but you're correct in that he did a fine job at GH, an excellent one in fact.

He created the Lesley/Rick/Monica/Alan triangle and created have not Bobbie Spencer who set her sights on Scotty and wanted to ship Laura off to reform school. He created Tracy Quartermaine and he made sure Steve, Audrey, and Jessie worked regularly.

I heard Agnes was a shrew to Doug but that came from a pro Doug source.

by Anonymousreply 378January 2, 2023 5:51 AM

R378 yes oops, type. I meant GL

by Anonymousreply 379January 2, 2023 2:15 PM

I don't think Doug was anti-woman, but I do think he had very specific ideas about how things should be done and how stories should be told.

He worked under Harding Lemay long enough to get the gist of the job and then ventured off on his own - I believe Lemay mentions him (though not by name) in his book, saying he had hoped the promising writer (Doug) would continue on with outlines but once Marland left, he was back to doing more of the writing. (Lemay was stingy with praise in that book, unless you were one of the performers he liked.)

I don't think it was a woman hating thing, but he didn't seem to deal with collaborators well (Allen Potter comes to mind). ATWT went well because Bob Calhoun was an old queen that knew his job was on screen, not in the writing, stayed out of Doug's way and only interfered when he had to play middleman between Doug and the networks or P&G. Laurie Caso did the same as well, and blessedly stayed out of Doug's way, too.

by Anonymousreply 380January 2, 2023 2:22 PM

Yes, Trish Lewis came to town first, in August 1981, and old sorority sister of Vanessa and the ex wife of Andy Norris.

Two months later, Josh Lewis came to town. He played the villain who was a threat to Morgan and Kelly's marriage.

Billy Lewis was mentioned in passing for about a year before he arrived in town in May 1983. Mindy also arrived in May 1983 while HB got to Springfield in August 1983

by Anonymousreply 381January 2, 2023 10:59 PM

This week's Digest finally confirms in writing Robert Gentry's death.

At least Bob finally had his passing noted in print. I don't think Audrey Peters ever did......

by Anonymousreply 382January 6, 2023 7:38 PM

John Wesley Shipp was in the Locher Room today.

Great interview. JWS shares so much about his many roles.

Alan even asks him if he realized what impact he had on young gay men when he was running around as Kelly Nelson in a Speedo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383January 6, 2023 10:02 PM

Haven't watched this yet but I was intrigued by the comments on the thread.....a few by extras who did various GL weddings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384January 7, 2023 11:55 PM

With DL on extended primetime and non-members locked out, this place certainly is quiet.

The good news is it also means no Psycho Soap Loon around to fill the thread with his nastiness.

But it also means that if we want to keep this thread going, then members are going to have to post something.

So, let's get busy and share some ideas on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 385January 10, 2023 4:38 PM

One of the biggest revelations of the JWS interview was that Lisa Brown originally auditioned to play Morgan, not Nola. Still trying to picture Lisa in the Morgan role, but having such a hard time of it,

JWS also strongly suggested (but never flat out said) that recasting the role of Morgan with Jennifer Cook in August 1981 really killed the dynamic that Kelly and Morgan had .

I have to agree on that one. While JWS had chemistry with both Kristen Vigard and Jennifer Cook, somehow the magic of the pairing was between JWS and Kristen Vigard. The magic was gone with the recast.

by Anonymousreply 386January 10, 2023 4:45 PM

And they did the recast literally weeks after the culmination of the Kelly reunites with Morgan bit, which was the payoff.

Then again, you could probably get diabetes from Kelly and Morgan together, so having Nola spicing things up is what made it interesting.

by Anonymousreply 387January 10, 2023 5:18 PM

Nola was such an interesting vibrant character and Morgan was kind of a flat dud of a character. I'd say that worked out quite nicely for Lisa Brown.

by Anonymousreply 388January 10, 2023 9:08 PM

"Morgan. How I hate that name."

by Anonymousreply 389January 10, 2023 9:28 PM

[quote]Nola was such an interesting vibrant character and Morgan was kind of a flat dud of a character. I'd say that worked out quite nicely for Lisa Brown.

Lisa clearly made the most of the Nola character. She was the correct person for the part.

But I do wonder what she might have done with the Morgan character if she'd been cast in the role.

by Anonymousreply 390January 10, 2023 9:30 PM

I posted this on the Agnes Nixon thread, but maybe someone here knows.

Agnes Nixon discussing her writing process and the creation of Loving, the interviewer is Marlena DeLaCroix (Connie Passalacqua).

She looks annoyed and pained when Doug Marland’s name came up. I really want to know what went down between those two.

Doug had no problem telling the world how he felt about Gloria Monty but I don’t remember an interview with him discussing his exit from Loving. And any biography of him just mentions he was there for two years then went to ATWT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391January 10, 2023 10:05 PM

I’ll always remember Eileen Fulton referring to Rita McLaughlin’s role as “Sterile Carol” because at that time Fulton had a granny clause in her contract which wouldn’t let her be a grandmother onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 392January 10, 2023 10:47 PM

I've got just the thing to liven this thread up! Friday marks 40 years since a certain Miss Love came to Bay City and rocked all of our thousand other worlds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393January 11, 2023 12:18 AM

The good stuff starts right here ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394January 11, 2023 12:20 AM

I look fabulous there. But then again, I always do.

Who was that imposter pretending to be Ada? I see no evidence of a dishtowel anywhere!

by Anonymousreply 395January 11, 2023 12:26 AM

Peg Murray, slumming it in comparison to her work as modeling agency president Olga on All My Children.

by Anonymousreply 396January 11, 2023 12:28 AM

I'd all but forgotten David Canary was Steve Frame for a bit.

A terrible idea to resurrect that character.

by Anonymousreply 397January 11, 2023 12:55 AM

It was a bad idea compounded by bad writing and further handicapped by the miscasting of Canary and even worse, Linda Borgeson as Alice.

by Anonymousreply 398January 11, 2023 12:59 AM

Michele Shay (Henrietta) did some seriously weird line readings. And her delivery of them was so slow.

by Anonymousreply 399January 11, 2023 1:01 AM

If they wanted Rachel and Alice fighting over a man again, they should have hired an actress to play Alice that had chemistry with Mac and Mitch.

by Anonymousreply 400January 11, 2023 1:48 AM

I think I posted this once before. My idea was for Mitch and Alice to start dating and to eventually marry. Mitch would sue Rachel for custody of Matthew and win. Thus Alice would be raising Matthew which would cause tension and problems between Alice and Rachel.

by Anonymousreply 401January 11, 2023 2:32 AM

Never saw another world until he’d already left but can’t imagine David canary having too many roles he couldn’t play well. Stuart was only barely two dimensional but Adam chandler had infinite layers.

by Anonymousreply 402January 11, 2023 3:05 AM

David Canary is a fine actor, he just wasn't Steven Frame. And the actress playing Alice wasn't all that great either. Lightning rarely strikes twice.

by Anonymousreply 403January 11, 2023 3:08 AM

I didn’t see it when it aired but it sounds like Steve returns storyline was a mess.

Steve came back to reunite with Jamie and Alice. He had an adult daughter that was gone within a few months. Steve was in love with Alice, then suddenly in love with Rachel, causing her to leave town, and six months later he was dead. It sounds disorganized.

by Anonymousreply 404January 11, 2023 3:19 AM

Linda Borgeson was a rather milquetoast Alice, but she did have nice chemistry with Douglass Waston.

David Canary certainly had potential as Steve, but fairly soon, it was obvious he didn't possess the bravado to match George Reinholt's incandescent performance.

The biggest problem with the Steve returns storyline was they brought in a new writer -- playwright Corine Jacker -- who had no previous soap experience. They were apparently hoping to recreate the success they had in 1971 when they brought in playwright Harding Lemay who also had no previous soap experience.

The initial setup for the Steve returns story as established by HW L. Virginia Browne was decent -- not great, but not awful either. However, Corine Jacker, who took over just two months into Steve's return, just didn't really understand what made soaps tick and didn't understand how a good love triangle can ignite the viewers. She didn't seem interested in the Steve-Alice-Rachel storyline and was more interested in her other stories. Jacker is also the one who wrote out Pat Randolph saying she couldn't come up with any stories for the character.

So, Jacker pretty much ignored the Steve-Alice-Rachel storyline for a long time and when told to deal with the story, she wrote for Rachel and Steve, pretty much ignoring Alice and eventually writing out the Alice character when Linda Borgeson's contract cycle was up. Without Alice, there was no triangle and no real drama. Rachel and Steve got together and were rather ho-hum.

Meanwhile, Steve's Australian adopted daughter Diana Frame was rather lackluster and written out after less than a year. And Steve's reunion with his biological son Jamie was lightly touched up but not explored in depth.

When Jacker's year as HW was up, she bolted. Dorothy Ann Purser took over as HW and wisely cut her losses, killing off Steve Frame and setting things up for Mac and Rachel to reunite.

Incidentally, I consider 1982, the year Corine Jacker was HW, to be the worst in AW's history.

by Anonymousreply 405January 11, 2023 6:07 AM

I appreciated Jacker's introduction of core black characters – and the show cast powerful actors in the roles – but yes, it was a long and painful year. The show took several years to get itself out of the morass she left behind. Of course, it never again reached the heights it did under Lemay, storywise or ratingswise.

by Anonymousreply 406January 11, 2023 11:30 AM

Was 1982, Alma Rudder and 'Cecil' teaming up to drive Blaine crazy? If that was 1982, I did like that story. Alma Rudder was a hoot.

by Anonymousreply 407January 11, 2023 11:38 AM

Alma Rudder was the best thing about 1982.

And it did bring us strong black actors and storylines -- Morgan Freeman as Roy Bingham, Robert Christian (who died of AIDS) as Bob Morgan, Michelle Shay as Henrietta Morgan, Howard E Rollins as Ed Harding plus Petronia Paley as Quinn Harding, who was introduced by the previous HW. Later Joe Morton came on as Abel Marsh and his twin brother, singer Leo Mars.

So, yes, there were some good things about 1982. I shouldn't have implied that it was all bad. But it really wasn't until Harding Lemay returned in 1988 that the show was truly back on course.

by Anonymousreply 408January 11, 2023 4:26 PM

Also Cass first appeared in 1982, along with Peter Love, whose sister Donna would arrive shortly thereafter.

by Anonymousreply 409January 11, 2023 4:30 PM

If 1982 was the worst year for AW, 1987 must be a close second. That was the year that Cass was imprisoned by a imposter named Rex who went around masquerading as Cass. That was the year the Phileace Sampler was badly cast as Donna Love. That was the year they tried to turn Reginald Love into a megalomaniac and make him Bay City's answer to Stefano DiMera. Essentially, it was the year they tried to turn Another World into a Days of Our Lives clone.

by Anonymousreply 410January 11, 2023 11:13 PM

As bad as 1987 was, 1986 (the first year of Maggie dePriest’s first reign of terror) was worse.

The show got rid of longtime characters Liz, Sally, Clarice and Larry, the stupid Mary McKinnon back from the dead story was front and center, and we got a low energy version of Stefano DiMera/James Stenbeck in the form of Reginald Love.

by Anonymousreply 411January 11, 2023 11:47 PM

That infection of AW must have come over from GL in 1985 and 1986, when they had the awful Sampson Girl context, Infinity, and the Valere murder.

ATWT, on the other hand, was utterly flawless from late 1985 through the end of 1987.

by Anonymousreply 412January 12, 2023 12:36 AM

I think the best of AW can be summed up -

67 - 79 88 - 91-ish

67 is when Nixon began 72 is Lemay

I think after Lemay was let go, the show struggled for along time to find a new voice. Lemay's AW was so different from the other shows for so long, that they couldn't figure out what kind of show they wanted it to be. The Cass/Felicia/Cecile/Wallingford antics were fun, but those were moments and it's hard to get new audience based just on moments.

It's funny that it took Lemay returning to get the show back on it's feet. But the show started to falter again, when they got to the end of his bible and Watson died and Donna Swajeski had to figure shit out on her own. But that Jaime/Vicky stuff, Who Shot Jake, Sharly, that was some grade A soap opera.

by Anonymousreply 413January 12, 2023 1:05 AM

Ben Masters has died at age 75. He had dementia but died from COVID.

While Ben is best known for playing Julian Crane on Passions. But he also had a six-month role on Another World. He played Vic Strang who came to town to direct a movie based on Jamie Frame's book, "A View from the Bay." His character was on the show in 1982.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414January 12, 2023 1:08 AM

And by the time JFP was through, the ship was incapable of staying afloat.

by Anonymousreply 415January 12, 2023 1:08 AM

Actually, JFP's ER/NYPD Blue/Melrose Place rip off, raised the shows numbers. In my opinion, it wasn't Another World, but it accomplished what NBC/PG wanted her to accomplish and played better with lead-in Days. Just my opinion, but if JFP would have stayed, the show may have had a fighting chance.

by Anonymousreply 416January 12, 2023 1:51 AM

I think that a lot of shows in this timeframe made big decisions that may have led to some short term gains but also alienated longtime viewers that didn’t come back.

by Anonymousreply 417January 12, 2023 2:04 AM

Someone commented upthread about replacing Kristin Vigard as Morgan with Jennifer Cook so abruptly. And so soon after the writer's strike ended.

Krisin's last day was August 14, 1981. Jennifer's first day was August 17, 1981.

I can just imagine Marland sitting at home during the three months of the strike, watching the show each day and pondering on changes and ways to improve it. Obviously, one of the first things he did was recast Morgan.

by Anonymousreply 418January 12, 2023 8:00 PM

Would Marland have had a say on casting, though? I suppose yes.

by Anonymousreply 419January 12, 2023 8:01 PM

One of the first things Marland did was rewrite the scene where Kelly confronted Nola.

Strike ended on July 12, 1981.

These scenes aired on July 27, 1981. If show was taping 2 weeks in advance, which most shows did in those days, then these scenes would have taped on July 13, 1981.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 420January 12, 2023 8:10 PM

R420 There have been interviews in the past with either John or Lisa (or both) where they said that they were literally getting pages right before filming. They'd been written a few days before the end of the strike and basically got sent via messenger to them hours before filming.

by Anonymousreply 421January 12, 2023 8:48 PM

R404, Diana was Steve’s stepdaughter via his deceased Australian wife Pamela, who’d nursed him back to life after the helicopter crash. I liked the actress (Anne Rose Brooks) who played Diana, obviously named after Diana Spencer. She seemed to disappear from acting after her AW stint.

I’ve brought this up a few times but I remember Victoria Wyndham on ET of all things claiming that Corinne Jacker was part of an AW “renaissance.” Well, that “renaissance” didn’t last very long.

by Anonymousreply 422January 13, 2023 10:58 PM

Yes, but JFP making the show like ER/NYPD Blue/Melrose Place fucked with the identity of Bay City. And that REALLY turned off long time viewers like myself. It was like Pine Valley in AMC suddenly having a fucking skyline.

One really bad part of Jacker’s tenure was the interminable union storyline with blue collar worker Harry Shea. He’s the one whose wife Loretta (Anita Gillette) got blowed up real good by a bomb meant for him. The only overlap between the Sheas and a core family was due to Harry’s son Pete in a romance with Steve Frame’s adopted daughter Diana.

by Anonymousreply 423January 13, 2023 11:16 PM

[quote]One really bad part of Jacker’s tenure was the interminable union storyline with blue collar worker Harry Shea. He’s the one whose wife Loretta (Anita Gillette) got blowed up real good by a bomb meant for him. The only overlap between the Sheas and a core family was due to Harry’s son Pete in a romance with Steve Frame’s adopted daughter Diana.

One of the things Corrine Jacker didn't understand about soaps was that viewers take a while to warm up to new characters.

She brought in several new families like the Shea family and the Morgan family and expected viewers to be immediately fascinated by them. Devoted large swaths of the episodes to these characters and we barely even know their names, much less cared to see them take up screen time when we really wanted to see Mac and Rachel and Jamie and Sandy and Cecile.

Jacker completely failed to understand that the way to introduce new characters was to tie them to beloved existing characters. For example, if the Shea family had been Ada's neighbors, that would have been a good way to bring them family in.

That's how Harding Lemay brought in Rose Perini and her adult children Angie and Joey. Ada made mention of the Perini's for at least 6 months before we ever met one of them.

by Anonymousreply 424January 14, 2023 1:18 AM

If I remember right, Liz, the Perrinis, or at least Joey Perrini, had been mentioned as neighbors for years before they actually became characters. In that sort of "I'll ask Mrs. Perrini next door for some sugar...." sort of way.

by Anonymousreply 425January 14, 2023 1:21 AM

r424 and r425 remind me of how I used to wish we'd meet Emma's Luther's Corners neighbor Janie Cobb.

by Anonymousreply 426January 14, 2023 1:25 AM

The AnotherWorld Home page says the first reference ever to the Perrini's was October 25, 1971.

Angie Perrini was the first to appear on screen, in February 1975.

Rose and Joey first appeared on screen in April 1978.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 427January 14, 2023 5:09 AM

I might be mistaken, but wasn't Gloria Norris (Felicia's editor, Jenna's mom) another one of those heard about long before seen characters? And I think they also briefly teased that Gloria might not have been Jenna's biological mother, that Jenna was Lucas & Felicia's (until it turned out to be Lorna).

by Anonymousreply 428January 14, 2023 7:38 PM

I'm alone in that I thought Canary was a great Steve Frame; it wouldn't have worked with Jacquie back as Alice and it didn't work with that other Alice but I thought Canary was fine.

AW was nuts not to bring Jacquie back after Mac's funeral and pit her against Rachel with someone.

Across town, ATWt was setting the stage for Kim v Susan round 2. That was awesome.

Had Marland ever gone back to AW, he'd have rejuvenated the Matthews clan I have no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 429January 15, 2023 7:21 PM

Those were my two VCR days, r429. Who knew I would miss them someday.

by Anonymousreply 430January 15, 2023 7:35 PM

[quote]I'm alone in that I thought Canary was a great Steve Frame; it wouldn't have worked with Jacquie back as Alice and it didn't work with that other Alice but I thought Canary was fine.

r429 Were you watching AW when George Reinholt and Jacqui Courtney were playing Steve and Alice?

by Anonymousreply 431January 16, 2023 12:19 AM

[quote]Had Marland ever gone back to AW, he'd have rejuvenated the Matthews clan I have no doubt.

I respectfully disagree. Based on his previous writing, I could see him either beefing up the Frame family or creating a new lower-income family. The Matthews family would have been too upper-middle white bready.

by Anonymousreply 432January 16, 2023 12:25 AM

I think Marland would have beefed up the Frames, and maybe give Liz another grandchild/niece/nephew to fret over, but he wouldn’t have rebuilt the Matthews into a core family.

by Anonymousreply 433January 16, 2023 12:29 AM

By the late '80s-early '90s, the period I'm assuming we're imagining Marland returning to AW, the Matthews were more or less a memory. It would have been much easier to revive the Frames, what with Frankie, Sharlene, Evan and later Dean as pins.

by Anonymousreply 434January 16, 2023 12:50 AM

Although, yes, there's always going to be the what could have been factor of what Marland could have written for Alice, Pat or even Ricky Matthews, who would have been old enough to be a new legacy character. (Maybe he's the one Liz frets over?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435January 16, 2023 12:57 AM

R427, I recall the Perrini's next door being mentioned for years.

"Jamie's next door at Joey Perrini's" was said more often than 'Sheila switched the champagne bottle labels' on B&B

by Anonymousreply 436January 16, 2023 2:47 AM

AW didn’t have Cory McGowan as a young adult in the show’s final years. And that was a damn shame.

by Anonymousreply 437January 16, 2023 3:06 AM

by Anonymousreply 438January 16, 2023 3:11 AM

Both of Clarice and Larry's kids, Cory and Jeanne, would have been naturals for teen scene stuff. And you could easily have given Nancy a kid. Much better than Rachel's late in life pregnancy.

by Anonymousreply 439January 16, 2023 3:38 AM

Gail Brown popped back on for Ada's funeral in 1993 and was as Clarice as ever; they should have scripted a 'Hiya, Iris!' for her.

AW threw away all their history after writing off Pat Matthews, killing Steve Frame a second time, not bringing back Harding Lemay full time, and not knowing what to do with Alice after Jacquie came back in 1984.

GL lost focus on the Bauers but in fairness, Bert died; at least Ed and Rick and Michelle were on for many years. ATWT kept the Hughes clan around, Lisa and Susan Stewart, too.

But AW was never the same after those zany mid 80s years with Lily, Felicia, Cass, Walliingford, et. al.

by Anonymousreply 440January 16, 2023 3:58 AM

There was something that Lemay said in his book that I found interesting. Basically, that he learned some of the history of the show from fans writing in letters. Before a new writer would take over the show, they would ask the writer to watch the show for some period of time and then offer notes, suggestions and then a bible. But that was limited to what was currently on air and not any real show history.

And because most of these shows erased tapes to reuse them, and institutional memory was just lost through times, there was just no way for new writers to go back all that far to use the show's history to inform current story.

For instance, IMO, with the Justine storyline, Justine should have been Pamela Davis, Rachel's sister. But my strong guess is that no one who was working on AW during that time, knew anything about Another World or Somerset. AW squandered many opportunities to inject some history into the show, but I really think it's because no one knew any better and there was really no incentive. Characters, children of characters, and certain stories were just lost to time.

by Anonymousreply 441January 16, 2023 11:17 AM

Well put, R441.

by Anonymousreply 442January 16, 2023 5:34 PM

Lemay said he got a letter from a Pat Randolph fan who knew everything about her and she felt qualified to say that Pat would never become a boozer; Lemay said the fan said she and Pat had the same birthday so that only strengthened her resolve about how well she knew Pat.

Some shows have synopses books that keep track of the episodes; maybe this wasn't done back then and there were no magazines for synopses.

Those old Soap Digests from 1975 through maybe the late 80s had great synopses.

They were mostly written by people watching the show live; over time, the show would send recaps in advance but often things could be lost between what was sent in advance and what actually ended up being taped and/or what would air.

I'm highly impressed by the memories of DL soap fans. They can recall minutia.

Sadly, soaps are written by people who don't know them for people who do. That's why they're dying.

Even B&B with its team being in place for so long can't get straight how Ridge and Brooke first met. No, it wasn't love at first sight. No, it wasn't across a room.

They were out by the Forrester pool; Ridge saw the back of Brooke's head and thought she was Caroline.

His OTP. (Sorry, Brooke.)

by Anonymousreply 443January 16, 2023 5:48 PM

I know back in the day UK soaps like Coronation Street and EastEnders employed people to be full time, in house archivists of their shows. They kept track of everything, including characters’ birthdays, wedding anniversaries, etc.

by Anonymousreply 444January 16, 2023 10:13 PM

Very insightful, r441. Bravo!

by Anonymousreply 445January 16, 2023 11:38 PM

[quote] Sadly, soaps are written by people who don't know them for people who do. That's why they're dying.

It really was one of the things that killed the soaps, though there were many other contributing factors.

Lemay also didn't like soaps when he joined AW. But at least he eventually recognized the theatricality of the genre, and the ways it could tell a story.

by Anonymousreply 446January 17, 2023 2:43 AM

Lemay's recounting how he told the P&G execs over lunch that AW was shit but then, they offered him the job anyway is something out of a movie.

I can't imagine that ever working in today's world.

by Anonymousreply 447January 17, 2023 4:00 AM

It wasn't just AW but that he hated all of them, wasn't it? He told them ATWT was shit and they were like, oh yeah, that one's been number one for over a decade! LOL

by Anonymousreply 448January 17, 2023 4:17 AM

And I bet he told them whoever that was playing the lead on Search for Tomorrow was a pile of shit.

by Anonymousreply 449January 17, 2023 10:57 PM

........ ........

by Anonymousreply 450January 18, 2023 12:12 AM

R448, I think he told them AW was shit but they offered it to him anyway

Pat Randolph was dying, slowly being poisoned to death by Blanche from the GG's.

Pat had a brother who was a doctor and a sister who was a nurse but reached out to neither of them despite not feeling well.

Lemay thought stuff like that was ridiculous, bad writing.

he had a point.

by Anonymousreply 451January 18, 2023 6:48 PM

He also wasn't a fan of 'Dr. Bob' and 'Dr. Ed' on ATWT and GL;

AW never called Russ 'Dr. Russ'

Of course, those things worked on other shows; Lemay had a different vision, different ideas

Shows work for different people for different reasons.

by Anonymousreply 452January 18, 2023 6:51 PM

The Locher Room is hosting a watch party for the 30th anniversary of Maureen Bauer's death.

That one is on January 25th, also the 83th anniversary of the show's debut on radio.

by Anonymousreply 453January 18, 2023 7:35 PM

Harding Lemay is one of my favorite soap writers of all time and that hasn't changed. There was a time when I would have defended every choice he made as the right choice, but the years have allowed me to accept the man wrote a good soap, but he was not without his flaws.

His style of writing worked for AW, but he had a strong foundation to build from, thanks to Agnes Nixon and in some part Robert Cenedella. This is probably why Lovers and Friends didn't make a stronger showing - soaps need a plot and sometimes these shows need soap tropes. His style is also why Another World had a really difficult time finding its footing after he was fired the first time.

Looking back on it, gutting the Matthews family was probably a mistake. Getting rid of Jacquie Courtney, which was more Rauch, was probably a mistake. Reinholt got himself fired. And quite frankly, the heavy reliance on Broadway actors, may have been a little much. Watching some of those old episodes or clips from old episodes, some of the performances were a bit "showy".

by Anonymousreply 454January 18, 2023 7:43 PM

I resemble that remark!

by Anonymousreply 455January 18, 2023 7:55 PM

R454 spot on.

Lemay conceded that no other Alice reached the popularity was when Jacqueline Courtney played the part and that she had an element that made her a star.

Wish Lemay had stayed on in the late 1980s. Bring Pat, Russ, Alice, Liz all back; re-establish the house; bring on Marianne's kids.

Pit Alice against Rachel over another man. I'm all for new characters PROVIDED that they can be written well; if not, lean into nostalgia.

by Anonymousreply 456January 18, 2023 7:55 PM

Lemay defined a star as having a “singularity of appeal.” I’ve always found that to be the best description of what it takes. The first person who came to mind when I read that was Meg Ryan.

by Anonymousreply 457January 18, 2023 7:58 PM

Did you oldsters envision the Cory Complex as one large-ish building or several smaller buildings in a group? I would have thought a “complex” meant the latter.

by Anonymousreply 458January 18, 2023 8:01 PM

I always thought the Cory complex was one giant building, so large it covered several acres of land,

First time I ever heard the word "complex," it was on AW with the Cory Complex, circa 1975, But I got sick of the word after a while. Everybody kept talking about going to "the complex." It was as overused as "last summer" was on GL in the early 80s.

by Anonymousreply 459January 18, 2023 8:05 PM

I agree, Aunt Liz. And remember when the word “undermine” was overused by Lemay?

Example:

Olive: John, I’m absolutely sick of Pat’s attempts to undermine my relationships with Michael and Marianne!

It’s too bad Marsha Norman didn’t take over from Lemay. There might have been a few suicides. I wanted one of them to be white trash Larry Ewing.

by Anonymousreply 460January 18, 2023 9:01 PM

by Anonymousreply 461January 18, 2023 9:45 PM

I remember John suing either Pat or Dave Gilchrist for 'alienation of affection' which even in the late 70s was an outdated reference.

They talked about how nobody did that anymore back then.

by Anonymousreply 462January 18, 2023 9:53 PM

Time Magazine cover story on the soaps

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 463January 18, 2023 9:58 PM

Time reviews each soap, from the same 1976 cover story. They were not a fan of P&G.

by Anonymousreply 464January 18, 2023 10:07 PM

PG soaps were always so old fashioned and conservative until about the late 70s, which is charming, when you look back. After all the other shows had moved to orchestrated music, they were still using organ music. Is anyone on here, except me, old enough to remember the great PG opening credits/opening theme changes in 1981? I was 10 and such a little gayling and so into that kind of stuff. Edge of Night was the best titles/music change. The Guiding Light change was out of character for the show, but I liked it. ATWT and AW were just okay.

by Anonymousreply 465January 19, 2023 12:49 AM

Every time I hear the GL disco theme I think of Henry Chamberlain at Studio 54, shaking a tambourine

by Anonymousreply 466January 19, 2023 9:49 PM

I tried to find online a photo of Henry and Vanessa Chamberlain.

They were so classy and they had secrets. They were close as the mother had died and there were no other children till grown Clint came along.

They had money and a history; they made me thing there was a world outside of the quaint New England town I grew up in.

by Anonymousreply 467January 19, 2023 11:57 PM

[quote]They were close as the mother had died and there were no other children till grown Clint came along.

Quint.

Quinton McCord

by Anonymousreply 468January 20, 2023 12:08 AM

I’d imagine Alan Spaulding was there with his cop whistle too, R466.

by Anonymousreply 469January 20, 2023 12:50 AM

And Kelly Nelson shaking what his mama gave him.

by Anonymousreply 470January 20, 2023 12:51 AM

In a few years, Phillip will walk through another club in just his cutoff jean shorts, and dozens will faint.

by Anonymousreply 471January 20, 2023 1:25 AM

[quote] The Locher Room is hosting a watch party for the 30th anniversary of Maureen Bauer's death.

People are already reminiscing about this on the Locher Room FB thread.

I can still remember a few months earlier (Aug 1992) standing in a pharmacy - I was in college and would walk to the pharmacy every Saturday for the new Weekly. And when I saw that Beverlee McKinsey had quit I GAY GASPED!!! so loud an employee actually asked if I was OK. MARY!

by Anonymousreply 472January 20, 2023 3:46 PM

Ladies!!!!

We are negligent! We are letting important dates slip by us unnoticed!

We overlooked a BIGGIE! A date of huge importance!

The 50th anniversary of the first appearance of Iris Carrington was on Dec. 22. Beverlee debuted as Iris on Dec. 22, 1972. And Bay City was never the same after that.

Happy Belated Anniversary, Iris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 473January 20, 2023 10:52 PM

DADDDDYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 474January 20, 2023 10:59 PM

I blame myself, Aunt Liz.

by Anonymousreply 475January 20, 2023 11:10 PM

Well, WHY didn't Rachel tell me SHE WAS ILLLL??

Iris to Mac after he blasted her for not relaying a message from Rachel to Mac. (Rachel was suffering a miscarriage; Mac getting home to her in time might have resulted in a different ending)

by Anonymousreply 476January 20, 2023 11:16 PM

As she has pains (that will turn out to be a miscarriage), Rachel phones Iris' house looking for Mac.

Iris says Mac is not there, but Rachel insists she needs Mac.

Iris again says that Mac isn't there, that he left a few minutes earlier (which he did).

Rachel collapses onto the floor.

Iris says, "Rachel . . . Rachel . . . Rachel? "

Hearing nothing, Iris hangs up the phone saying, "Really, that girl has no manners."

by Anonymousreply 477January 20, 2023 11:50 PM

Why didn't Rachel just call 911?

by Anonymousreply 478January 21, 2023 12:01 AM

R473,

When is the 50th anniversary of “hiya Iris”? We can’t also miss this significant date.

by Anonymousreply 479January 21, 2023 12:04 AM

[quote]When is the 50th anniversary of “hiya Iris”? We can’t also miss this significant date.

February 7, 2025.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 480January 21, 2023 12:10 AM

[quote]Why didn't Rachel just call 911?

Alice, dear. Don't be a simpleton.

Rachel was calling for her husband to let him know something was wrong. But she didn't realize how serious it was at that point. Presumably, Mac would have told her to call an ambulance.

911 was not in widespread use in 1976-77. Yes, it existed, but not every city had it by that point.

by Anonymousreply 481January 21, 2023 12:16 AM

Aunt Liz,

You do remember that this is the same woman who told me that she was carrying my fiance's baby at our engagement party. The same woman who gave me baby clothes after I miscarried my baby.

Now excuse me while I get hysterical and throw things.

by Anonymousreply 482January 21, 2023 12:36 AM

[quote]Now excuse me while I get hysterical and throw things.

I suppose that's better than running away to Europe for a year.

I supposed it's better than running away to New York and changing your identity and taking a job as a nurse to a frail, sick 10-year-old boy with a heart condition.

I suppose its better than having a nervous breakdown and having to be institutionalized.

by Anonymousreply 483January 21, 2023 1:03 AM

In Lemay's Eight Years in Another World, he writes that he was surprised (I think surprised) that some of his students at Hunter (?) college were pro Rachel because she went after what she wanted in life.

by Anonymousreply 484January 21, 2023 4:52 AM

50th anniversary of Iris and 40th anniversary of Donna is call for a celebration indeed.

He have a party with festive prizes. Maybe even an auction. Who should be get to be in the auction?

Since I'm such good friends with the two ladies of honor, I volunteer to be the host/MC of the party.

by Anonymousreply 485January 23, 2023 11:17 PM

[quote]He have a party with festive prizes. Maybe even an auction. Who should be get to be in the auction?

Drunk as usual, Cecil?

by Anonymousreply 486January 23, 2023 11:25 PM

Cecile? DePoulignac?

My friend?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 487January 24, 2023 1:12 AM

I never get tired of that clip. From Donna in all of her fabulousness describing Cecile to Ada's reaction on the staircase as Donna and Cecile go at it.

by Anonymousreply 488January 24, 2023 1:37 AM

R488 It really is perfection for some of those characters.

by Anonymousreply 489January 24, 2023 1:52 AM

Rachel slaps the shit out of Cecile, 1981. The hairstylist must have held a grudge against Victoria Wyndham, letting her go on national television looking like that.

They should have offered Nancy Frangione a ton of money to show up for a few months every single year to fuck with Rachel, Cass, Jamie, Donna, Felicia…. Watching Donna and Cecile fighting over Michael; or Anne Heche-era Vicky and Cecile fighting over Ryan, would have been epic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 490January 24, 2023 4:29 AM

[quote]The hairstylist must have held a grudge against Victoria Wyndham, letting her go on national television looking like that.

I love VW, but Rachel was dressed and coiffed terribly throughout much of the '80s.

by Anonymousreply 491January 24, 2023 11:11 AM

Rachel, should have turned 30 in 1979/1980, but I guess they tacked a few years on with Jamie's SORASing. Now that I think about it, all those ladies on AW in the late 70s/80s were styled older.

by Anonymousreply 492January 24, 2023 12:04 PM

I worship the very ground Ms. McKinsey walked on, but her hairdresser for much of her time on AW should have been tried and jailed.

And if she was doing it herself, neither she nor Ms. Wyndham knew enough gays, apparently, to help them out.

by Anonymousreply 493January 24, 2023 3:37 PM

R493, it’s mostly middle aged Italian broads who did hair/make-up on the soaps in those days. In other words they made actresses like VW look like fraus in Canarsie.

by Anonymousreply 494January 24, 2023 4:03 PM

Excuse me. Italian-AMERICAN broads.

by Anonymousreply 495January 24, 2023 4:04 PM

I agree. Victoria Wyndham's hair in that r490 clip is tragic. So unflattering and matronly looking. It also ages her, makes her look older than she is.

That hairdo is almost as bad some of the dos they gave Erika Slezak. She's another one who had tragically unflattering and matronly looking hair throughout the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 496January 24, 2023 4:27 PM

Donna Love is a goddess.

AW still had so much going for it in 1989. this was the year that several veterans made appearances for the 25th; Pat, Alice, Russ, Robert, Gwen, the ghosts of Janice and Steve...

AW would have been so much stronger if the Matthews clan had been revitalized and they'd found both a decent love interest for Rachel and a foil, preferably, Jacqueline Courtney back as Alice full time.

by Anonymousreply 497January 25, 2023 4:04 AM

If AW had had better writers in 1984, they would have found a way to fully integrate Alice back into the show and set up another rivalry between Rachel and Alice.

As it was, the material they gave Alice was lackluster. No surprise Jacqueline Courtney departed after a year.

by Anonymousreply 498January 25, 2023 4:48 AM

Maureen dies again on the Locher Room:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 499January 25, 2023 8:05 PM

Oh, man, I thought it was going to be a watch party with Parker, Simon and Sloan providing commentary like on a DVD. Instead it was with a bunch of nobodies. Epic fail.

by Anonymousreply 500January 25, 2023 10:17 PM

Two sad pieces of shit were arguing with each other during the watch party. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 501January 26, 2023 12:00 AM

Watching a bit of the watch party and was reminded that Alan had a Locher Room with Ellen Parker, Maeve, Tina Sloan and Rachel Miner.

I just remember it because it was so weird......Ellen was really kind of cold and frosty, and she and Maeve were acting a bit frosty when Rachel was talking. Tina seemed half out of it. Who knows, maybe everyone was having a bad day?

by Anonymousreply 502January 26, 2023 12:54 AM

Tina will be on with Alan next week to promote her latest mediocre book. I guess rich bitches like her need to do something to keep busy.

by Anonymousreply 503January 26, 2023 3:32 AM

by Anonymousreply 504January 26, 2023 3:36 AM

Tina's extremely nice; I'm not a book person but who knows? maybe it's a good read.

Ellen P. was frosty a lot, I heard. But they shouldn't have killed off Maureen.

They'd have missed the funeral drama and reception drama if she'd lived but imagine Ed and Maureen going to court and having a big public divorce.

Claire comes home to fight for custody of Michelle. Maybe we learn that Fletcher was her father?

Maureen could have lived and turned to -- of all people -- Roger but I couldn't see that working long term.

by Anonymousreply 505January 27, 2023 5:37 AM

Stroyline was excellent. The one thing they should have done differently is include a final scene where Roger puts Maureen on a plane to safety as she keeps saying, "I've got to get away from all this."

That way, everyone thinks she's dead and they have to deal with all the ramifications of her death. Then a year or two later, when Ed is remarried to Eve or Holly or maybe even Lillian, then Maureen could return.

The writers, in their Locher Room session a year or so ago, even said if they could do it again, they should have had Roger whisking Maureen off on a plane.

Maureen and Roger were already friendly, so it would have been in keeping with their relationship that she would turn to him for help to escape.

by Anonymousreply 506January 27, 2023 7:02 AM

that would have been brilliant, R506, Roger getting Maureen on a plane.

Zaslow would have played that subtext in every scene with 'sanctimonious' Ed and Vanessa.

by Anonymousreply 507January 27, 2023 10:52 PM

We have a post about Lisa Loring's death....I didn't watch ATWT when she was on it, but forgot that Cricket was Margo and Craig's older sister.

by Anonymousreply 508January 30, 2023 2:37 PM

R508 - I thought Margo was the oldest of the Montgomery kids. Cricket had potential, and wound being in a pretty funny story with Ernie at the end of her run.

by Anonymousreply 509January 30, 2023 7:02 PM

R509 Was she? I honestly never saw Cricket on screen so wasn't sure.

I know that one character in the 00s was her son....Billy?

by Anonymousreply 510January 30, 2023 7:15 PM

I think Cricket was the youngest, she was a teen when she came to town. Margo was early to mid 20s when she arrived and Craig was in his early 20s.

by Anonymousreply 511January 30, 2023 7:17 PM

Scotty Bryce could get IT back in the day

by Anonymousreply 512January 30, 2023 7:18 PM

Happy 80th Tina Sloan

by Anonymousreply 513February 2, 2023 3:59 AM

How many millions does Tina’s hubby have?

by Anonymousreply 514February 2, 2023 4:13 AM

by Anonymousreply 515February 2, 2023 1:39 PM

Our Lady of HAM! Kim Zimmer is 68 today.

by Anonymousreply 516February 2, 2023 5:47 PM

Come the end of November, it'll be the 40th anniversary of the arrival of Reva Shayne.

by Anonymousreply 517February 2, 2023 6:17 PM

That just seems impossible, R517.

by Anonymousreply 518February 2, 2023 6:34 PM

June 2023 will be the 40th anniversary of the debut of St. Beth of Raines.

by Anonymousreply 519February 2, 2023 6:41 PM

Reva? That low born gutter trash?

by Anonymousreply 520February 2, 2023 6:47 PM

[quote] How many millions does Tina’s hubby have?

Three

by Anonymousreply 521February 2, 2023 6:47 PM

Ladies!

We are again negligent! Another anniversary we have overlooked!

This one is almost as significant as the 50th anniversary of Iris Carrington's debut. This one is of profound importance as it changed the lives of so many. This one provided visual and fantasy pleasure for the masses.

Dec. 22, 2022 marked the 40th anniversary of the debut of Grant Aleksander as Philip Spaulding.

by Anonymousreply 522February 2, 2023 7:53 PM

The day Grant got hard watching Krista do her stretches on set was one that everyone should remember.

His pendulosity blocked the sun for an hour on the east coast!

by Anonymousreply 523February 2, 2023 7:54 PM

MARY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 524February 3, 2023 12:31 AM

Beverlee McKinsey, in the form of Alexandra Spaulding, arrived in Springfield 39 years ago (February 10, 1984).

(Featured in this week's Digest)

by Anonymousreply 525February 3, 2023 4:13 AM

Our favorite soap reporter - slash - Muscle Mary is fixin' to SANG!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 526February 3, 2023 4:27 PM

Krista Tesreau was interviewed on the most recent SOD podcast. It’ll soon be the 40th anniversary of Mindy’s arrival in Springfield.

by Anonymousreply 527February 5, 2023 11:37 PM

1983 is 40 years ago.....holy fuck that went by quick.

March will be 40 years since Pam Long became HW. Lots of arrivals - Mindy, Beth, Reva and Lujack (later in the year).

by Anonymousreply 528February 6, 2023 12:40 AM

Speaking of dates, Friday marked the 40th anniversary of Steve Frame dying, this time for good. Ah, well, it all worked out in the end: Rachel ended up back with Mac, David Canary spent the rest of his career on AMC, and Cecile and Donna remained fabulously ever after.

by Anonymousreply 529February 6, 2023 2:26 AM

Rachel and Carl Hutchins became endgame which was an absolutely horrendous mistake.

by Anonymousreply 530February 6, 2023 4:03 AM

by Anonymousreply 531February 6, 2023 4:11 AM

We've had glorious, blissful peace here for some time, but be aware that once we have a new thread, our resident loon (s?) will once again be able to post - at least for the first few hundred replies.

by Anonymousreply 532February 6, 2023 4:12 AM

Sharing this article, since we sometimes make fun of the dialogue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 533February 6, 2023 12:16 PM

Thanks for posting that, R533. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 534February 6, 2023 4:25 PM

Every writer has their go to lines and stories, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 535February 6, 2023 5:29 PM

Wow! That article at r533 was pretty harsh. Rarely do reviews so directly criticize a show such as calling for a HW's ouster.

That was clearly written in 1978 and Lemay was definitely suffering from burnout at that point. His plots were less than spectacular and, yes, his dialogue often left something to be desired.

That's a fact!

by Anonymousreply 536February 6, 2023 5:55 PM

I know Harding Lemay created that AW spinoff (Lovers and Friends/For Richer For Pooer) that came out in 1977/78-but was he the headwriter too? No wonder he burned out.

by Anonymousreply 537February 6, 2023 6:01 PM

I think those old school soap mags gave more honest and candid reviews of the shows and the personnel than modern soap magazines. But I guess, in 1978 there were a bunch of soaps on the air and there was no need to prop up the genre with softball reviews.

Lemay was the creator and headwriter of Lovers and Friends and then was replaced by Tom King when the show was retooled into For Richer...

by Anonymousreply 538February 6, 2023 6:23 PM

R537 If I remember from his book, he was writing both for a while, and then someone took over at the spinoff. There was also the whole 90 minute show thing. By the end of that he was seriously fried.

by Anonymousreply 539February 6, 2023 6:23 PM

HWing two shows has got to be tough. Few people have pulled it off for long, especially since soaps went to the hour length.

James Reilly did it in 2003-2005 with Days and Passions and both shows suffered as a result of his not being able to give his complete creative attention to one or the other.

Bill Bell did it for a few years with Y&R and B&B in the late 80s, early 90s, then secretly passed the HW baton to his son, but continued to take HW credit for several more years.

Bill Bell also did it in 1973-75 was HW of both Days and Y&R, but both shows were 30 minutes at that point. In 1975, as soon as Days went to 60 minutes, Bell quit as Days HW, but stayed on a story consultant for two more years, writing long-term story projections for the show.

Back in 1972-73, Henry Slesar was HW of both Edge of Night and Somerset. But those were half hour shows.

And in 1970-73, Agnes Nixon did it with AMC and OLTL. But both shows were still half hour at that point.

Agnes also managed to do it with GL and AW in 1966-68. But AW was 30 minutes at the point and GL was only 15 minutes.

Irna Phillips also did it with GL and ATWT in the late 1950s. But again, ATWT was 30 minutes and GL was 15 minutes.

Any other instances where a someone HW two shows at the same time?

by Anonymousreply 540February 6, 2023 6:54 PM

I believe port Charles and gh had the same ep. Was the hw different?

by Anonymousreply 541February 7, 2023 3:04 AM

And for a brief time, Pam Long was both one of the leading actresses of Texas as well as its head writer.

by Anonymousreply 542February 7, 2023 3:06 AM

Paul Rauch was EP of both AW and Texas for a year 1980-81.

Rauch was also the EP of AW and Friends and Lovers/For Richer, For Poorer in 1977-78.

Wendy Riche was EP of GH and Port Charles for a couple of years 1997-99. But Riche was always more heavily involved in GH than in Port Charles. She had several strong producers working under her on Port Charles. They were involved with the day-to-day decisions, whereas Riche handled bigger things involving PC.

by Anonymousreply 543February 7, 2023 9:38 PM

In the 1970s, the main thing that the soap mags needed from shows were photos. They could write pretty much anything they wanted but they needed photos.

Today's websites and the surviving soap rag need interviews, teasers, and cooperation.

The shows can pretty much threaten to withhold the teasers and sites and mags will cave.

Last year, SOD declared the best soap was -- your soap, whatever show you love is the best one; cop out. GH is clearly the best soap. Other soaps shoot many scenes in coffee shops and redressed limbo hotel suites. GH has a swimming pool, hospital sets, homes for Laura, Anna, Sonny etc. If they go to Europe, they'll build sets to represent those locales.

The emperors have no clothes. They all want to think that they're doing BJ's heart transplant every week. But the shows are mostly horrible.

by Anonymousreply 544February 9, 2023 6:23 AM

I respectfully disagree with your post R544 and not just because I don't think that GH is the best soap. But if the story is good, you don't care about the sets. Soaps, when they were at their most pure and, in my opinion, the best time period were all produced for a nickel and some bubble gum. The sets were wobbly and the cameras and booms showed up in the shot from time to time. Building multiple sets, in my opinion, has little to do with what makes a soap good or not.

There is nothing wrong with nice sets, but more often than not, they are just a distraction from either bad storytelling or bad acting.

by Anonymousreply 545February 9, 2023 12:13 PM

I was watching a bit of Judith Light's OLTL trial scenes (it's her birthday today) and I didn't realize Jacquie Courtney was also in those episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 546February 10, 2023 1:03 AM

Tina Sloan’s interview with Alan was OK. I did roll my eyes at her claim that she and Susan Lucci played the biggest bitches in daytime soaps back in the early 70s. I doubt her Kate Cannell character on Somerset was anywhere near as popular as Rachel on its sister soap Another World.

by Anonymousreply 547February 11, 2023 3:37 AM

R545, I may not have expressed myself properly.

I think GH has great sets; I also think it's the best soap. But not because of the sets. It's the stories and the acting.

Ava blasting Nikolas over his affair with Esme. Anna Devane watching Peter August die. The acting is off the charts. I predict Maura West and Finola will do well at the DT Emmys later this year; Chavez will probably get a bookend tho he'll be in Supporting this year. Linda Purl will get nominated for playing Reese's mother.

Are the stories on GH perfect? No. Liz's past and her parents was a mess. But Becky did a great job playing it out. But the other three soaps? I can't even. They're just horrible.

I check out old EDGE OF NIGHT on YouTube; That studio looks like a closet; the only big set was the Whitney mansion; everything else was tight. But I loved the stories, the actors, and the characters. I love the stories, actors, and the characters on GH too. That show also happens to have great sets.

Also, the fact that the stories on Y&R and DAYS are awful is helped by their shitty sets.

by Anonymousreply 548February 11, 2023 4:13 AM

Back to Tina-I did admire her for correcting Alan when he assumed Beth Chamberlin as Beth meant more to her than Judi Evans’ Beth simply because she was on longer than Evans.

by Anonymousreply 549February 13, 2023 12:24 AM

R549 did Tina say she liked Judi better?

by Anonymousreply 550February 13, 2023 12:53 AM

No, R550, that she loved both Judi and Beth equally, was not placing one over the other despite Alan assuming Tina loved Beth more.

by Anonymousreply 551February 13, 2023 2:36 AM

Alan makes so many mistakes during his interviews, I'm really surprised more people don't correct him.

I guess it would be bad form to correct him on air, but the man needs to learn how to do his research in advance!

Even worse, sometimes he does do his research and get the WRONG info. I was watching his Agnes Nixon tribute over the weekend. The man did a lot of research for his introduction of Agnes Nixon, but he got some facts wrong including saying that OLTL debuted on July 26, 1968, when the show actually debuted on July 15, 1968, something that is very easy to look up.

by Anonymousreply 552February 13, 2023 5:58 PM

Tina's so classy I'm sure she did it in a way that didn't offend Alan or embarrass him.

Tina played out huge heavy story with Judi and she was very young.

by Anonymousreply 553February 13, 2023 9:19 PM

True, R553, she corrected him without making him look bad.

I’m at the point where I really hate it when he says “I love that” after each halfway decent story. He needs to think up new shit to say.

by Anonymousreply 554February 13, 2023 11:00 PM

change of subject but has anyone seen the new People GH book; I skimmed it and when it came to the part about the show being saved in the late 1970s it's all Gloria; that bitch did not write the scripts. Douglas Marland was the head writer who saved that show from being axed and I don't see his name anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 555February 15, 2023 4:14 AM

Victoria Wyndham (Rachel - Another World) Talks About Dealing With Obsessed Fans & Stalkers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556February 15, 2023 3:35 PM

Helen Wagner (Nancy As The World Turns) talks about being "over the hill" on her own show

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 557February 15, 2023 3:37 PM

[quote] I think those old school soap mags gave more honest and candid reviews of the shows and the personnel than modern soap magazines.

For a while back in the day I remember SOD would do a thorough review each show pretty much yearly. And I recall they were pretty tough on the shows when it was necessary.

by Anonymousreply 558February 15, 2023 6:58 PM

Good point, R558. Back then, there were so many options that they could afford to be critical of a show when necessary. Now that it is down to four and they are all marginal at best, there is no more room. As a former GL viewer that had not watched in the show's last 15 years, I started watching DOOL after watching Beyond Salem. It took me a year to figure out the characters. And that was harder since characters either drop off the canvas for long periods - or not really dead, dead.

by Anonymousreply 559February 15, 2023 8:30 PM

R557, thanks for this post. I saw this show when it aired in 1992 and I remember Wyndam saying 'we don't feel old; we feel the same.'

(not sure that's the exact quote but that's my take away)

Now, 32 years later, I know exactly what she means.

by Anonymousreply 560February 15, 2023 9:14 PM

[quote]Now, 32 years later, I know exactly what she means.

She was 47 during the interview. Not old by any stretch.

by Anonymousreply 561February 16, 2023 1:44 AM

Was over at the HGTV thread talking about Carter Oosterhouse - he showed up on a Magnolia show this week and was the hunk du jour of Trading Spaces and a few other shows about 15ish years ago.

I was reminded that most of those so called "experts" at HGTV are just actors who pretend to swing a hammer at something. And it also reminded me (yes, I'm getting to the point) that Carter was up for the Mike Kasnoff role on ATWT. This was the recast Mike and it was between him and Mark Collier, that time, and I think they both made it to the final round.

by Anonymousreply 562February 17, 2023 8:27 PM

Watching old clips of GL and wondered if there was ever any consideration of having Roxie turn out to actually be Reva’s daughter, not her sister? There seemed to be enough of an age gap between them for this to have been possible. I can see Kimmer screaming at Pammy (was Pammy still writing the show at that point?) that it wouldn’t be happening. Or maybe P&G put the brakes on it because the same plotline was already happening on AW?

by Anonymousreply 563February 18, 2023 4:57 AM

R563 I think if Roxie would have been a bit younger they could have done that, like Iva and Lily on ATWT. But then they would have lost Roxie as a new love interest for Rick, etc.

by Anonymousreply 564February 19, 2023 1:22 AM

Is there a new P&G thread now?

by Anonymousreply 565February 22, 2023 3:30 AM

R565 Not yet. (Not that I started, anyway.)

We're enjoying the final moments of serenity and bliss here.

by Anonymousreply 566February 22, 2023 4:03 AM

The SOD podcast interview with Krista Tesreau was pretty darn good. She is quite open about the times in her life when she made bad decisions, and admits that she wasn't very invested in her career around the time she was appearing on OLtL.

by Anonymousreply 567February 22, 2023 5:06 PM

R561, no, 47 isn't old; she probably wasn't even on AW 20 years yet.

The Faith Daniels talk show was on NBC though so I'm sure that NBC insisted on having NBC stars on the panel; Cooper was way off to the left and Ray McDonald off to the right with the NBC stars in the middle (I think).

by Anonymousreply 568February 22, 2023 5:39 PM

R563, I never heard that Roxie was supposed to be Reva's daughter.

I do recall there was a nice backstory touch that both Roxie and Mindy wanted to be flower girl at Billy and Reva's wedding; guess who won?

by Anonymousreply 569February 22, 2023 5:41 PM

R569, I was just wondering if that was a possibility when she was first brought on the show. There was such a distinct age gap between them.

by Anonymousreply 570February 23, 2023 2:13 PM

[quote] I never heard that Roxie was supposed to be Reva's daughter.

Because she was NEVER suppose to be Reva's Daughter - the character was originally India Raines - Beth's cousin. She was suppose to make a play for Phillip

However BOTH Mary Kay Adams and Kristi Ferrell tried out for the part, and Casting Director Betty Rea found both so good, but wrong for the part.

Betty went to Pam Long & Gail Kobe and said they had to hire both of them, they were both that good. But wrong for the part of India Raines

So Pam did a re-write, she created the role of "Roxie" for Kristi (as Reva's sister) and revamped the role of "India" as India von Halkien for Mary Kay. Keeping the same storyline for India Raines, but connecting the character to Alexandra.

by Anonymousreply 571February 23, 2023 2:30 PM

Yes, R571, but that’s not to say at some point they considered making Roxie Reva’s daughter. I think it was possible.

by Anonymousreply 572February 23, 2023 4:41 PM

Was Kim pissed when they brought Dylan onto the canvas and suddenly Reva was a grandmother?

by Anonymousreply 573February 23, 2023 4:42 PM

Kim Zimmer was born in 1955. She would have been 29 when the character of Roxie joined the show in 1984.

I do not think she would have been a happy diva to be 29 years old playing mother to an 18-20 year old character who was played by a 24-year-old Kristi Ferrell.

FYI: The Kimmer would have been 34 in 1989 when a 26-year-old Morgan Englund came onto the show as her 18-20 year old son Dylan.

by Anonymousreply 574February 23, 2023 5:20 PM

[quote]I do not think she would have been a happy diva to be 29 years old playing mother to an 18-20 year old character who was played by a 24-year-old Kristi Ferrell.

Tell me about it.

by Anonymousreply 575February 23, 2023 5:27 PM

Yes, Susan Seaforth Hayes was 32 in 1975 when a 25-year-old Richard Guthrie was cast to play her 18-year-old son David.

Problem with that casting was that Richard Guthrie didn't look anything like an 18 year old. He looked every bit of 25, if not older!!

by Anonymousreply 576February 23, 2023 6:27 PM

And then there was Justin Deas who always looked 40 playing Tom Hughes on ATWT. I doubt Miss Eileen approved of THAT casting.

by Anonymousreply 577February 23, 2023 8:06 PM

1. Gregg Marx and Hillary B. Smith only had 1985, 1986, and January 1987 as Tom and Margo but to me they're the definitive Tom and Margo.

2. Casting children works if the age ranges of the parents and children are believable. Larry Hagman dropped a few pounds once Dallas took off. He looks 8 to 10 years younger between premiere and when JR got shot. Barbara Bel Geddes was so matronly (great actress) that I believed them as mother/son even though she was only 9 years older.

3. R571, great memory; I recall now that Kristi and Mary Kay (who hails from NJ!) read for India Raines. Smart of Pam to tap into MKA's European vibe and cast her India. Phillip did not know WHAT to make of her in their first meeting. Her effing perfume didn't even have name in English.

4. I used to be inconsolable if my VCR didn't tape ATWT and GL in the 1980s. (Turn the power off to turn the timer on!) Marland and Long were that good. Bell, of course, was in a league by himself; his characters were more these unattainable gods and goddesses for the most part. I wanted to LIVE in that garage apartment that Bob and Kim or Ed and Maureen used to rent out. I couldn't see myself living in the Abbott pool house or Stephanie's guest house.

Now with the exception of GH (why aren't the ratings higher?) these shows are a chore to watch. I'm hopeful about Peter and Kristian and Miranda Wilson being back on DAYS. But not much captures my attention these days.

by Anonymousreply 578February 24, 2023 1:07 AM

Now with the exception of GH (why aren't the ratings higher?)

Because, no offense, you might be one of a very small and select group who thinks GH is any good. GH is McCleary Brothers on Search for Tomorrow level bad.

by Anonymousreply 579February 24, 2023 1:17 AM

R578 are you me?

by Anonymousreply 580February 24, 2023 1:23 AM

R579, the other soaps don't have moments like this.

I hope Fin wins the Emmy; she might be better off in Supporting given the powerhouse co-star known as Maura West but either way, she deserves to win.

R580, I might be!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 581February 24, 2023 1:54 AM

[quote]Because, no offense, you might be one of a very small and select group who thinks GH is any good. GH is McCleary Brothers on Search for Tomorrow level bad.

Of the four remaining soaps on the air, I enjoy GH the best, followed by Days.

What we're seeing now doesn't in any way compare to the glory days of the 70s and 80s. But compared to the other three remaining soaps, GH is the best.

by Anonymousreply 582February 24, 2023 4:57 PM

I concur with Our Liz.

None of the shows are doing well, but GH is the closest to anything from the glory days.

by Anonymousreply 583February 24, 2023 5:11 PM

despite Mishael Morgan and McCook's wins for actress and actor and DAYS for writing, GH took everything else.

Ted King B&B for guest tho.

But the GH wins were awesome! Thiebaud, Kober, Chavez...all winners.

by Anonymousreply 584February 24, 2023 8:35 PM

National Holiday Alert!!

Soap Digest says that Connie Ford debuted as Ada on AW on Feb. 28, 1967.

That was 56 years ago!!

by Anonymousreply 585March 1, 2023 5:52 PM

And and upcoming holiday next week!

Another World Home Page shows that Robin Strasser debuted as Rachel on March 8, 1967.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 586March 1, 2023 5:54 PM

My goodness, what a final exit line.

This is what Rachel said to Steve Frame in De. 1971 when Robin Strasser was exiting the show. This is what they thought would be her final line ever:

"I think wives ought to know as much about their husbands as some girl they once spent the night with.”

Of course, when the Rachel recast, Margie Impert, didn't work out, they convinced Strasser to come back for six more months until Victoria Wyndham was available to take over the role. So Strasser's next final exit line was, "He won't talk to me."

Not quite as memorable as the first final exit line.

by Anonymousreply 587March 1, 2023 6:02 PM

My favorite entrance line remains

"Hiya Iris!"

by Anonymousreply 588March 1, 2023 6:08 PM

A day late for Ada Day for all who celebrate, here is her intro scene:

ACT IV.

SCENE THE SAME, CONTINUING, SAM IS STILL PACING. SOUND: (KEY IN THE DOOR)

(SAM LOOKS QUICKLY TOWARD THE DOOR. THEN STEPS BACK INTO THE SHADOWS)

(THE DOOR OPENS AND ADA ENTERS, A LARGE BAG OF GROCERIES IN HER ARMS)

(SHE DOES NOT SEE THE NEWSPAPER)

Sam: [STEPPING OUT OF THE SHADOWS] "Oh, it's you."

Ada: (Introduction Line) "No, it's Princess Grace."

Sam: [HE GOES OVER CASUALLY AND TURNS THE NEWSPAPER OVER SO SHE CAN'T SEE DANNY'S PICTURE OR THE HEADLINE] "I just didn't expect you back so soon."

Ada: "I told you it was my afternoon off."

Sam: "Oh, yeah, that's right, you did."

Ada: [SHE'S STRUGGLING TO GET HER KEY BACK IN HER PURSE AND THAT SPILLS OR JUST GENERALLY HAVING AN UNWIELDLY TIME WITH THE BAG OF GROCERIES AND PERHAPS A SMALLER PACKAGE] "Look, will you stop just standing there, brother dear. Help me."

Sam: "Oh." [TAKES THE BAG] "Where do you want this?"

Ada: "In the kitchen." [SAM EXITS TOWARD THE CUBICLE KITCHEN TO DEPOSIT THE BAG AND ADA PLOPS DOWN ON THE COUCH, BONE WEARY] "I'll put the groceries away later..." [SIGH, SHE RUBS HER BACK] "Boy, was I glad to get out of that place today."

Sam: "Oh, hey, I forgot to tell you. Rachel called."

Ada: [NOW A TRANSFORMATION COMES OVER THIS WOMAN AT EVEN THE MENTION OF HER DAUGHTER'S NAME. WE SEE THAT THIS IS THE ONE THING THAT SUSTAINS HER AND AT THE SAME TIME, THE ALTAR ON WHICH SHE WOULD GLADLY SACRIFICE HERSELF] "Rachel! Why didn't you tell me before?"

Production Notes: IF WE HAVE BY THIS TIME, CAST RACHEL WHICH WE UNDOUBTEDLY WILL HAVE, LET'S PUT A PICTURE OF HER IN A DOMINANT PLACE IN THE ROOM SO THAT THEY, PARTICULARLY ADA, CAN LOOK AT IT FROM TIME TO TIME.'

by Anonymousreply 589March 1, 2023 7:06 PM

MARY!

I mean

ADA!

by Anonymousreply 590March 1, 2023 7:19 PM

Any ideas for the next thread title?

We've cycled through quite a few over the years. Trying to think of something new.

by Anonymousreply 591March 1, 2023 7:20 PM

With her anniversary here. I think something like "Celebrating Ada Day in Marvelous Midwestern Towns!"

Or perhaps Ada and Rachel Anniversary is Upon Us.

by Anonymousreply 592March 1, 2023 7:25 PM

It would be confused for a regular thread too often but it would be hilarious to do "Tasteful Friends: Reva Bend" or "Tasteful Friends: Cory Mansion"

by Anonymousreply 593March 1, 2023 7:29 PM

Ada’s sweet rolls were actually Pillsbury. Fun fact.

by Anonymousreply 594March 1, 2023 7:55 PM

Or “Snyder Farm. 6 BR, 1 bath. Hayloft sleeps at least two. EIK with adjacent eavesdropping porch.”

by Anonymousreply 595March 1, 2023 8:18 PM

R596 Exactly!

by Anonymousreply 596March 1, 2023 8:38 PM

New thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 597March 1, 2023 8:45 PM

Ada Day?

Ain't THAT a kick in the cunt!

by Anonymousreply 598March 1, 2023 8:48 PM

We had the kind of love you'll never know.....

by Anonymousreply 599March 1, 2023 8:48 PM

Always!

by Anonymousreply 600March 1, 2023 8:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!