Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cities in Italy worth visiting

Besides Rome, Florence, Venice. I would like another trip to explore, maybe to visit several.

DL travellers please share your thoughts with us..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80October 30, 2022 4:40 PM

Siena, the grand central square in particular.

Bologna, with beautiful arcades and porticoes.

Not a city, but the Amalfi coast is stunning.

by Anonymousreply 1October 29, 2022 10:10 AM

Milano, speaks for itself but you'll find a lot of people dislike the city, just go with an open mind

Bolzano, interesting mix between Austrian and Italian influences, as it was part of the Austrian Empire)

Trento, charming town with some really interesting museums and overall a lovely vibe

by Anonymousreply 2October 29, 2022 10:16 AM

Rome, for obvious reasons

Florence, " " "

Venice (in Winter only - bring high rubber boots)

Bologna

Siena

Pompeii/Herculaneum (Ruins)

by Anonymousreply 3October 29, 2022 10:18 AM

^^also Palermo. I love it's run down, faded glamour, odd features and rough trade

by Anonymousreply 4October 29, 2022 10:20 AM

I've never been, but I'd love to go to Trieste for its Central European flavour.

by Anonymousreply 5October 29, 2022 10:24 AM

Mostly off the beaten, not mobbed with tourists path:

Venice

Siena

Trieste

Genoa, then take the ferry to

Cagliari (Sardinia)

Palermo

Trapani, then take the ferry to

Pantelleria (Island)

by Anonymousreply 6October 29, 2022 10:24 AM

Agree about Siena. Beautiful city.

And the Amalfi Coast is indeed perfect. Try and stay a night in Positano, and make sure you swim in the sea. Looking back at the town from the sea is quite something.

by Anonymousreply 7October 29, 2022 10:28 AM

Another vote for Siena, which I prefer to Florence. And give Naples a chance.

by Anonymousreply 8October 29, 2022 10:30 AM

What's Parma like?

by Anonymousreply 9October 29, 2022 11:18 AM

Siena

Palermo

Milan

Italy is home to some of the most beautiful cities in the world. Even those run down cities and towns still possess some faded charm. I'd stick to the larger ones though if travelling alone.

by Anonymousreply 10October 29, 2022 11:24 AM

Sicily is a must. More about Palermo rough trade please

by Anonymousreply 11October 29, 2022 11:27 AM

Orvieto is one of the most magical places in Italy.

by Anonymousreply 12October 29, 2022 11:37 AM

I know this is on *NOBODY'S* list, but Naples (OK nobody but R8) All of the good stuff from Pompeii and the Herculaneum is in the museum there. You will see very little more than brick walls at the actual site (Yes, some lesser mosaics and frescoes are there, but not the really good stuff.)

Positano deserves more than one night, but go in the off-season. It is hell in season.

by Anonymousreply 13October 29, 2022 11:38 AM

Turin is spectacularly beautiful, the capital of Italian Baroque. It's simply majestic.

Genoa, as R6 has mentioned, is also monumental and has one of the most impressive harbour districts you will ever see.

Close to venice you have Padua, Vincenza, Verona, Ferrara and Mantua, which are all extremely different from each other and yet, exceptionally beautiful all the same. Verona in particular has the Arena, a Roman amphitheatre that dominates its city centre and rivals the Colosseum in majesty. Still, each city has so much to offer than it's impossible to fixate on merely one thing.

Those who have mentioned Naples are also right - it is a strange mix of monumentality, glorious beauty and utter decay. The city centre, the sites of Herculanum and Pompeii and the Royal Palace of Caserta make it worth a visit.

Still, it's impossible to go anywhere in Italy and not find several impressive things. Also, take into account that the different regions of Italy are extremely different culturally, and this is reflected in the architecture and layout of each town. For example, very few people know about Urbino, a SPECTACULAR city in the Marche region that flourished during the Renaissance and has monuments and buildings that can easily compete with Florence and Venice... Then again, that can be said of almost every city in Italy.

by Anonymousreply 14October 29, 2022 11:43 AM

COMO is worth a side trip if you're in Milan. The one thing that stood out for me is the cable car that takes you up above the town (not especially busy or touristy). Suddenly you're on a country road in the mountains with cooler weather, the whole bit. I love shit like that. Stroll along and find a place to have lunch. I'm sure there are other great things there. There's the Villa D'Este where we stayed, very fancy pantsy but I think of an other era, something was missing, maybe the chic people. There are a few though, who only use it for the restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 15October 29, 2022 12:40 PM

R6, have you been to Venice within the past several decades?

by Anonymousreply 16October 29, 2022 12:45 PM

I'm going to a wedding at Villa d'Este next year and I can't wait to stay there again. It was wonderful 10 years ago and fingers crossed the years - and the effects of lockdown- won't have changed it too much.

by Anonymousreply 17October 29, 2022 12:46 PM

Torino is so elegant and well preserved. I used to go shopping there at the sales in winter. Just strolling around the baroque squares and arcades, having light things to eat in the super chic cafes. Nobody goes to Turin but the Italians - so all this display is just for their self enjoyment. I don't find it to be internationalized at all, with little catering to the tourist trade.

by Anonymousreply 18October 29, 2022 12:53 PM

Padua (Padova in Italian) is where the Renaissance started. It is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 19October 29, 2022 12:56 PM

The chapel at Padua (forget it's proper name at the moment) is nothing short of SPECTACULAR

by Anonymousreply 20October 29, 2022 12:59 PM

No one's mentioned Pisa? The town is not remarkable, but the tower and its church are worth seeing.

Lucca was worth a visit as well.

by Anonymousreply 21October 29, 2022 1:05 PM

Pisa is not that great, r21.

by Anonymousreply 22October 29, 2022 1:08 PM

Interesting that nobody has mention Capri. I have always imagined it a being the worst of The Hamptons and Sylt in Germany.

by Anonymousreply 23October 29, 2022 1:18 PM

Oh, no, Capri is absolutely beautiful. Yes, it's fashionable and expensive but to compare it to the boring Hamptons is just ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 24October 29, 2022 1:28 PM

If you are planning to stay in Positano, check out La Fenice. They call it a hotel, but when I stayed there it was really a B&B. Many of the rooms are built on the side of the mountain and overlook the sea and have private balconies or terraces. There's a pool, and access to the beach below.

Sitting casually looking out at the sea, enjoying Italian coffee with homemade butter and fig jam on freshly baked bread. A leisurely cigarette with coffee, a light breeze, and the exquisite view. One of my favorite and most comforting memories.

Bellissimo.

(Don't obsess about the cigarette; it was a while ago.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 29, 2022 1:57 PM

Those in the know, go to Ravello.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 29, 2022 2:00 PM

I came back from Italy month ago. I obviously loved Rome. But other interesting cities - I adored Sperlonga. White historical center, sea, great views, and grotto of Tiberius for those who like ancient history. I loved Ischia and Gardens of Poseydon - lovely place with dozens of pools full of thermal water. I loved Capri - spectacular, but very crowded. And I loved Pompei.

In my previous travels in Italy I especially liked Siena, Bologna, and little city of Monza.

by Anonymousreply 27October 29, 2022 2:11 PM

Where are the hottest gays?

by Anonymousreply 28October 29, 2022 2:15 PM

[quote]Oh, no, Capri is absolutely beautiful. Yes, it's fashionable and expensive but to compare it to the boring Hamptons is just ridiculous.

It may be beautiful, but what about the people? Both The Hamptons and the island of Sylt attract the worst type of people. Wealthy, but generally horrid.

by Anonymousreply 29October 29, 2022 2:18 PM

Capri is beautiful for the scenery. A day or 2 is sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 30October 29, 2022 2:18 PM

R23, Capri, particularly Anacapri, is beautiful and is nothing like either place you mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 31October 29, 2022 2:18 PM

I spent 3 days in Capri and there was plenty to do and see there in that time.

by Anonymousreply 32October 29, 2022 2:19 PM

Palermo, Sicily. Hugely underrated.

by Anonymousreply 33October 29, 2022 2:19 PM

BTW, Sorrento is very overrated. The only city in Italy that was disappointing to me. But it's good for one-day visit to Capri.

by Anonymousreply 34October 29, 2022 2:24 PM

In Capri, there's the Blue Grotto, faulous beaches, Anacapri, Axel Munthe's incredible villa (which I strongly suggest a tour of), a boat trip around the island, and Malaparte. People should spend more than a measly day there.

by Anonymousreply 35October 29, 2022 2:32 PM

R35 Beaches in Capri? Where?

by Anonymousreply 36October 29, 2022 2:35 PM

R26 Jackie and Gianni must have been good sex.

by Anonymousreply 37October 29, 2022 2:35 PM

[quote]Mostly off the beaten, not mobbed with tourists path: Venice

Other hidden Mediterranean gems for those who really want to get away from it all: Mykonos and St Tropez.

by Anonymousreply 38October 29, 2022 2:35 PM

Marina Grande is a "beach" in Capri. Pebbled coast and a working marina, you can still enter the water easily, comfortably, safely. It's shallow, too.

by Anonymousreply 39October 29, 2022 2:39 PM

R38 obviously has both reading comprehension and sight issues. Did you not see/understand the word [bold]M O S T L Y[/bold]????

by Anonymousreply 40October 29, 2022 2:43 PM

I hear Barcelona is a sleepy undiscovered gem.

by Anonymousreply 41October 29, 2022 2:47 PM

If you want beaches in Italy, Ischia is your choice.

by Anonymousreply 42October 29, 2022 2:47 PM

Alassio has a sandy beach. Calm late 19th, early 20th century town with middle class Italians. Very relaxing and mostly local.

by Anonymousreply 43October 29, 2022 2:51 PM

I wasn't suggesting going to Capri for beaches. There are many other things it offers.

Italy in general is, to me, the most beautiful country in the world to visit.

by Anonymousreply 44October 29, 2022 2:52 PM

Rimini has an immense beach. Famous party town, mostly middle class.

by Anonymousreply 45October 29, 2022 2:52 PM

Well if one goes to Italy in the summer, it's always nice to get into the sea.

by Anonymousreply 46October 29, 2022 2:52 PM

Italy doesn't need to be a non stop multiple visits a day tour. It's a great country to just go to a city and blend in for two weeks or two months. Then you get to enjoy the beauty of the culture and daily life.

by Anonymousreply 47October 29, 2022 2:54 PM

I would suggest, if one can, multiple trips to Italy over the course of years in which you take sections of the country to visit. It's practically all gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 48October 29, 2022 2:55 PM

If you go to Bologna you must visit Ferrara, which is really close too. Siena along with Florence.

Verona compulsory with Venice.

by Anonymousreply 49October 29, 2022 2:57 PM

Lake Como

by Anonymousreply 50October 29, 2022 3:27 PM

Lecce in the heel of the country is beautiful - gorgeous Baroque buildings, a Roman amphitheatre and very close to the stunning seaside town of Gallipolli. Very hot in summer but not overly touristy which is strange considering its beauty.

by Anonymousreply 51October 29, 2022 3:40 PM

The towns around Lago di Garda are heaven on earth.

by Anonymousreply 52October 29, 2022 3:43 PM

Everyone keeps mentioning a different area to see, which proves my point that the entire country is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 53October 29, 2022 3:47 PM

[quote]Pisa is not that great, [R21].

Which is why I said "The town is not remarkable." Or did you miss that?

by Anonymousreply 54October 29, 2022 4:14 PM

Any recos for places not too hot in July?

by Anonymousreply 55October 29, 2022 4:28 PM

We loved Perugia.

And if Capri isn’t your scene, there are other islands nearby.

by Anonymousreply 56October 29, 2022 4:31 PM

In Sicily, Erice (it's gorgeous and idyllic) and Agrigento.

Bologna: it has the oldest university and has plenty of streets given over to pedestrians. An easy walk to the train station and from there go to Venice. November is acqua alta but other months are better.

Varenna and Bellagio in the north.

by Anonymousreply 57October 29, 2022 4:37 PM

No love for the South Tirol or the Dolomite Alps.?

by Anonymousreply 58October 29, 2022 4:41 PM

How to dress for Cortina

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 29, 2022 4:47 PM

Another vote for Ferrara for charm and great food. I feel similarly towards Parma. The are both beautiful without being overwhelming. I have a soft spot in my heart for Ravenna, which has gorgeous mosaics and an interesting history. I don’t think many Americans go there, but there may still be Germans tourists.

My favorite part of Sicily was Cefalu. It has a glorious beach.

by Anonymousreply 60October 29, 2022 8:18 PM

And of course Cremona is a must visit if you are traveling with a violinist.

by Anonymousreply 61October 29, 2022 8:19 PM

For scenery I'd say the village of Atrani on the Amalfi Coast. I don't know that there's much in the way of cosmopolitan activities there, but for seaside relaxation it'd be hard to beat.

by Anonymousreply 62October 29, 2022 8:38 PM

Cinque Terre

5 beautiful villages

by Anonymousreply 63October 29, 2022 8:49 PM

If you're driving from Rome to Florence and would like a stop along the way, Siena and San Gimignano are worth a visit.

by Anonymousreply 64October 29, 2022 9:08 PM

Medici Chapel (Tomb) in Florence. One of the great wonders of the world. The most astonishing thing I have ever seen or imagined. (And I have traveled widely and can imagine an awful lot).

by Anonymousreply 65October 29, 2022 9:13 PM

According to NBC News the gays are streaming into Milan in celebration of Queer con Leonardo da Vinci.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 30, 2022 3:01 AM

Naples is quite amazing, it’s a bit surreal and the movie Hand of God captures that really well and is like a love letter to the city. Of course it you want pizza, its Naples where you want to go. And if you have even the smallest interest in opera, it’s an amazing place to see a production. And the museums are spectacular and the place to see late era Caravaggio.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 30, 2022 3:09 AM

Westport is nice.

by Anonymousreply 68October 30, 2022 3:13 AM

R67

Which Napoli museum has Caravaggio?

by Anonymousreply 69October 30, 2022 3:28 AM

I visited Italy I think six or seven times, and see so many new cities suggested for future travels. What a beautiful country.

by Anonymousreply 70October 30, 2022 3:30 AM

One is in the Capodimonte Museum, one’s in a church and another is own by a bank.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 30, 2022 3:41 AM

I always wanted to visit Lucca and Sam Gimignano

by Anonymousreply 72October 30, 2022 3:46 AM

Another vote for both Ravenna and Verona.

by Anonymousreply 73October 30, 2022 3:50 AM

R71

Thank you. I am not a fan of Napoli, but it's very good center point to visit other places in Italy. But I guess I need to check the museums at least.

by Anonymousreply 74October 30, 2022 4:16 AM

Yet another vote for Siena, it is stunning. We visited during the semi-annual Palio di Siena in July so that was a treat as well. And even though it's been over 10 years, it wasn't too hot for us at all. That may have changed with climate change though, although Wikipedia states the average temp in July is 72 degrees.

I would love to go back to Tuscany.

by Anonymousreply 75October 30, 2022 4:26 AM

Naples' Archaelogical Museums is one of the best museums in the world. It contains Pompeii's artworks.

by Anonymousreply 76October 30, 2022 8:51 AM

Here's more info on the Palio di Sienna. It's an extraordinary event.

And for the gays, the Pilgrim Monument in Provincetown is based on the one in Siena. True story.

[quote]A contest was held to design a structure to commemorate the Pilgrims' landing, and over 150 entries were submitted. The winning design, by Boston architect Willard T. Sears, was based upon the Torre del Mangia in Siena, Italy, designed by Agostino and Agnolo da Siena in 1309.

[quote]The design was controversial because of its lack of any obvious relevance to the Pilgrim Fathers. One Boston architect derided it, saying "If all they want is an architectural curiosity, then why not select the Leaning Tower of Pisa and be done with it?" It was also noted that Boston itself already had a copy of the same tower: Boston's fire tower. The fire tower is made of brick like the Italian original, was built in 1892 by Edmund March Wheelwright, is 156 feet (48 m) tall, was originally designed as part of the central fire station and used as a fire lookout, and later became part of the Pine Street Inn, a shelter for Boston's homeless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 30, 2022 1:53 PM

Sheesh, who did those Midicis think they were?

by Anonymousreply 78October 30, 2022 2:17 PM

[quote]those Midicis

Oh, caro.

by Anonymousreply 79October 30, 2022 2:27 PM

R72 I preferred Lucca to San G. There was more to do.

by Anonymousreply 80October 30, 2022 4:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!