Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

1899 The New NETFLIX show by the creators of the German series DARK

They’ve been teasing this for years and it’s finally arriving next month, November 17! A dark mysterious at sea Bermuda Triangle international supernatural SciFi thriller. Miguel Bernardeau formerly Guzman of Elite is in this as well as one of the Jonases of Dark. It looks fabulous and chilling!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121May 21, 2023 2:03 PM

The full trailer has been released.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 31, 2022 1:46 PM

If I’m reading this correctly, the beautiful Miquel’s character is gay and has a faux priest boyfriend! The series starts tomorrow!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 16, 2022 9:03 PM

wow, can't wait. Dark was great!

by Anonymousreply 3November 16, 2022 9:11 PM

I'm going to start on this one this weekend. The lead actress reminds me of a young Miranda Otto; she's very very good.

by Anonymousreply 4November 16, 2022 9:13 PM

I’m about to start it. Wish me luck.

by Anonymousreply 5November 17, 2022 7:56 AM

The first episode was FANTASTIC! The sense of mood and period are excellent with most of the episode acting as an introduction of the characters, hinting at their darker and complex backgrounds. Upper class Miguel gets flirty with a lower class guy uttering the line, “You got my attention,” so seductive. There’s a Making of 1899 mini documentary as well, I only watch the first minutes and it gave away something big so DO NOT WATCH IT until you’ve finished the series!

by Anonymousreply 6November 17, 2022 1:42 PM

This is the Polish coal stoker with the phenomenal body. It looks like he’s been an actor since he was a kid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 17, 2022 2:32 PM

wow, very good, can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 8November 17, 2022 4:15 PM

So are there gay characters?

by Anonymousreply 9November 17, 2022 9:11 PM

Three gay guys at least.

by Anonymousreply 10November 17, 2022 9:27 PM

Good for Miguel, he acted so homoerotic with the other actors on Elite, he was probably crazy to have a gay scene some time! Has he already kissed any of the guys?

by Anonymousreply 11November 17, 2022 11:16 PM

Is it good?

by Anonymousreply 12November 18, 2022 10:53 AM

The show is shot in a completely new technology, which basically puts the concept of cinematography on end. The imagery inside and out is impressive, super real, but oddly synthetic at the same time, like the best possible gaming console system yet to exist. The sets and costumes are impeccably done, much of it very rich and luxurious. I did watch it in English dub, but upon reflection I wish I would have done the actual language setting, which I think adds another level of tension to the whole show with so many characters not being able to understand each other. The dub setting was already switched on when I started and I was in a few episodes before I thought about it.

The story is very fractured and like the characters you’ll have no idea what’s going on, with mystery building upon mystery. It’s not as hard to follow as Dark, there’s no conceptual conundrums to work out, but the bigger picture is only slowly revealed, but still is not completely explained until the last scenes. Much of it is like individual character studies with reveals of their backstory and unlocking of more mysteries. It moves from horror, to mystery, to SciFi as the story moves along, but there is no time travel element at all. The show I thought of the most, especially towards the end is the OA, I would say if you liked that show, you’ll like this one as well.

by Anonymousreply 13November 18, 2022 12:02 PM

I’m enjoying it so far. I’ve finished episode 1 and there’s a right amount of drama, mystery, terror, and what the fuckery that’s nicely balanced. Also, a bit of homoeroticism with the shirtless boiler workers and the fancy man giving scar guy the cigarette while stroking his scar.

by Anonymousreply 14November 18, 2022 12:58 PM

Is the boy Damien from the Omen?

by Anonymousreply 15November 18, 2022 1:36 PM

Watched the first episode so far and I love the set up and the constant feeling of dread. My wild guess is that it's some sort of deranged fantasy of the female lead trying to cope with the loss of her brother, creating a fantasy scenario where she rescues him. I am probably completely wrong, but to me it's fun to guess.

by Anonymousreply 16November 18, 2022 1:44 PM

Has anyone finished it? Is it worth watching? Comments on IMBD are either total raves or total pans and reviews from critics seem to be leaning more towards the negative.

by Anonymousreply 17November 18, 2022 1:50 PM

of course, the dl is all over this

by Anonymousreply 18November 18, 2022 1:57 PM

I started watching it, thinking it was going to be a documentary.

As soon as I realized it was going to be a stupid show full of superstitious nonsense (during the opening credits), I turned it off.

by Anonymousreply 19November 18, 2022 2:15 PM

Y'all can have that fancy guy. I think the captain is hot as fuck. Totally my type.

by Anonymousreply 20November 18, 2022 2:15 PM

R20 Then totally check out their first series Dark, he’s about as much of the lead as an ensemble show can have and his character Jonas is heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 21November 18, 2022 4:06 PM

very interesting show. I'm digging it so far

by Anonymousreply 22November 19, 2022 1:57 AM

[R13], I don’t understand what you mean about how it’s shot so differently. It looks like any other show of this format with lots of shadows and a muted color palette.

by Anonymousreply 23November 19, 2022 6:12 PM

R23 Watch the “Making of” documentary after you’ve watched the last episode. It’s completely this new technology where they aren’t using green screen, but projecting much of the exterior and some of the interiors on specialized huge screens and the actors are seeing and immersed in the experience that we are seeing on the screen at the same time. Some Disney + show has used it and this series, and they had to build a huge setup in a Germany studio, the same one where they filmed Metropolis, to do it.

by Anonymousreply 24November 19, 2022 6:20 PM

[quote] Watch the “Making of” documentary after you’ve watched the last episode. It’s completely this new technology where they aren’t using green screen, but projecting much of the exterior and some of the interiors on specialized huge screens and the actors are seeing and immersed in the experience that we are seeing on the screen at the same time.

So, it's an updated version of what Michel Gondry did for music videos like Björk's Human Behaviour in the 90s?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 19, 2022 6:58 PM

I like it overall. Part of the appeal was hearing what song is being used at the end of each episode. Cool selection.

by Anonymousreply 26November 19, 2022 7:03 PM

This talks about The Volume technology without giving away any spoilers, but it’s hard to describe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 19, 2022 7:03 PM

The trailer linked above using “All Along the Watchtower” took me out of the mood.

by Anonymousreply 28November 19, 2022 7:43 PM

I binged it this weekend - it's great! A lot easier to follow than Dark.

by Anonymousreply 29November 19, 2022 8:49 PM

I watched the first episode up until the doctor character helped the pregnant women and then gave up in disgust.

An amniotic cord doesn’t cause pain for the mother and turning a breech baby might allow for some relief, but it certainly wouldn’t eliminate the pain of childbirth. And how could everything be all better before the (two months premature) baby is even delivered? I have a suspicion that the turning maneuver is done with one hand IN the woman, but I’m not sure and I can understand glossing that over.

Finally, I’m guessing that In 1899 a brain doctor who trained but was never allowed to practice would know less about delivering a baby than half the women in steerage. Those women would not have been delivering their own babies at hospitals or with doctors. Even if there was no midwife among them, a few would know at least a little about it.

But, based on this thread, maybe I’ll give it another shot.

by Anonymousreply 30November 20, 2022 12:00 AM

Olek is so cute. I love how dirty and sweaty he looks all the time.

by Anonymousreply 31November 20, 2022 3:15 AM

I just finished watching it. OMG, my mind was completely blown by that final twist! I never saw that coming. And as someone mentioned upthread, I loved the David Bowie Starman played at the end.

by Anonymousreply 32November 20, 2022 5:36 AM

R25 That video didn’t look like it, but it made me think of the movie The Nasty Girl, which ironically was German also, and how the actor’s would perform in front of huge projections to set the mood and setting, but it was done as a surreal element more than as a believable seamless thing. This first image captures it best from what I could find on the internet.it’s like a very early form of this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 20, 2022 6:49 AM

Someone said this show is Titanic meets Black Mirror. I've only seen one episode, but as someone that enjoys reading about the famed old ships this one is too large for the era. It looks absolutely gigantic and the interiors alone would make it almost the size of a 90s cruise ship. Don't even get me started on a double story dinning room like they had in 1899 when such designs would likely not have come into fashion until another 15-20 years at best.

The show is far too dark.

But, DL has wonderful taste so I'll keep watching. But, the ships dimensions are all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 34November 20, 2022 1:57 PM

There is a reason that historic details are off like the baby issue or size of the boat. And any design person, which we usually are inundated with on threads, would recognize that the styles of clothing and interiors are a pastiche and not accurate to the period of 1899. Don’t get hung up on or toss this out based on its fidelity to the historic period, it is actually a clue to the bigger mystery. Again the show I think this has the most common with is the OA.

by Anonymousreply 35November 20, 2022 2:38 PM

Oh no r35, OA didn't even get to finish and was a frustrating mess. I'm now on episode 3 and it feels like a number of run of the mill Netflix mystery shows that are odd just to be odd. Everyone running from something in their past and a parent grieving over a dead child is so so played out. Every Netflix mystery seems to have these themes.

I'll carry on, and stop sounding negative, only because I trust in DL, but this is a slog. Even a handjob couldn't save it yet.

Can the bearded Ocean Line worker with the busted face and scares please fall into the sea? I'd annoying to see him when we have loads of attractive men to choose from on screen.

r34

by Anonymousreply 36November 20, 2022 2:47 PM

scars*

by Anonymousreply 37November 20, 2022 2:48 PM

[quote]Even a handjob couldn't save it yet.

Well, it couldn't hurt.

by Anonymousreply 38November 20, 2022 2:50 PM

SPOILER QUESTION:

Are the third class folks passengers or prisoners?

Ships didn't lock people into steerage, they actually wanted them out on decks as much as possible to air out the funk and reduce sickness.

3rd class passengers were the bread and butter of ocean liners, like coach seats in airplanes. An ocean liner that locked the 3rd class up during the entire journey would lose their customers as word spread. So must be something else going on here.

by Anonymousreply 39November 20, 2022 2:53 PM

Again, applying logic is not the way to go on this show.

by Anonymousreply 40November 20, 2022 2:55 PM

Each episode shows the backstory of one of the cast members, but some intertwine so, some get more backstory than the others. Not all the main cast gets their backstory told in season one, I assume the 2nd season will do that.

In that way it reminds me more of Lost and the flashbacks.

A bit spoilery. In the early episodes I thought it was like the TV mini series Maniac dealing with patients' trauma creating some sort of simulated "safe space" to help them deal with their trauma and something goes terribly wrong, and I was pleasantly surprised by the finale that I was apparently completely wrong.

by Anonymousreply 41November 20, 2022 2:57 PM

It's dreadfully dull and mindbogglingly meandering, taking forever to get to the point in episode 4. I gave up!

by Anonymousreply 42November 20, 2022 3:01 PM

I kind of wondered about that too R39. Struck me as odd that they locked them in.

by Anonymousreply 43November 20, 2022 3:03 PM

Of course, the low class was forbidden to have access to the upper decks and mingle with the first class passengers. Certain areas, like the dining hall, were strictly forbidden for the low class passengers.

Locking them in was probably a creative decision from the show to emphasize the separation of lower and upper class on the ship.

by Anonymousreply 44November 20, 2022 3:50 PM

[quote] A commentator described conditions in steerage aboard the SS Kaiser Wilhelm II in 1906:

[quote] 900 steerage passengers [are] crowded into the hold of ... the Kaiser Wilhelm II, of the North German Lloyd line[. They] are positively packed like cattle, making a walk on deck when the weather is good, absolutely impossible, while to breathe clean air below in rough weather, when the hatches are down is an equal impossibility. The stenches become unbearable... [and the] division between the sexes is not carefully looked after, and the young women who are quartered among the married passengers have neither the privacy to which they are entitled nor are they much more protected than if they were living promiscuously. The food, which is miserable, is dealt out of huge kettles into the dinner pails provided by the steamship company.[4]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 20, 2022 3:54 PM

The actress playing Maura Franklin is very pretty and quite a good actress. It would be nice if she picked up some of the roles that tired actresses like Nicole Kidman and Amy Adams are getting.

by Anonymousreply 46November 20, 2022 4:18 PM

I think there are decks that were accessible to the lower classes, just not the main deck and the where the first class would be. Also, I thought the door from steerage was only locked after the young girl died because they hadn’t come up with a way to tell the family. In fact hadn’t she wandered out onto the main deck when killed?

I did think the Japanese Geisha’s secret was going to be she was really a boy and not a girl.

by Anonymousreply 47November 20, 2022 4:35 PM

I'm almost at the finale and I love the bizarre Lynchian off putting elements in what's supposed to a period piece. I stopped Dark after a few episodes and will have to revisit it after this.

by Anonymousreply 48November 20, 2022 5:28 PM

Dark is magical compared to this. R48

by Anonymousreply 49November 20, 2022 8:23 PM

Well done wrap up that clarified a few things in the finale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 20, 2022 11:39 PM

I was looking forward to this show more than any other show in the past year. And it’s been my biggest disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 51November 21, 2022 2:22 AM

Make sure you watch it in English (original) and English Subtitles.

Netflix has it where it goes straight to Dubbed. And since the characters speak different languages the dubbing is weird. Worse still, it stops large parts of the show from making any kind of sense.

Makes a huge difference when it’s not dubbed.

I loved it. And the ending was awesome. If you liked Severance you should like 1899. Great Sci Fi.

by Anonymousreply 52November 21, 2022 9:04 AM

r24, I worked in one of those stages here in L.A. (Star Wars universe uses it all the time), and it's pretty incredible in its realism, and the ability to change the panorama instantly.

I just started the series, and the music is a bit annoying (a lot of foreign series are guilty for this)- atmospheric moody music with a crescendo that builds up to nothing. It's obvious from the pilot that she's from the future or is in a construct- there is a brief stuttering sonic sound of a skipped playback (that's the best that I can describe it)- like the intro for "Black Mirror". it happens at least twice.

by Anonymousreply 53November 21, 2022 12:28 PM

By episode three it's pretty obvious, based on the "wake up!" sequence at the beginning of each episode, that there is a syfy element. Plus, all the Matrix philosophy talk of everything being a simulation.

by Anonymousreply 54November 21, 2022 1:01 PM

The plan is 3 season also, let’s hope it gets that, Netflix has been very mercurial about that as of late.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 21, 2022 11:16 PM

Torpid and turgid shit. My dreams are more fun than this shitshow.

by Anonymousreply 56November 22, 2022 1:48 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 22, 2022 9:00 PM

I gave it another shot. It’s still stupid.

- R30

by Anonymousreply 58November 22, 2022 11:36 PM

First three episodes were really good. By the episode 4 , story telling starts declining.

By episode 5 ,the show gets very.messy and disappointing. .

The ending was total copout..

Very disappointed by the l ater episodes and the ending.

Also it seemed that after episode 3 a complete different team of writers was brought in.

by Anonymousreply 59November 23, 2022 7:13 AM

[quote] OMG, my mind was completely blown by that final twist! I never saw that coming. And as someone mentioned upthread, I loved the David Bowie Starman played at the end.

That alone was worth watching all 8 episodes. Brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 60November 23, 2022 7:39 AM

One of the reasons I started watching this series is because of this guy, Aneurin Barnard.

He's not handsome in a classical way but there's something about him that is mesmerizing and very sexy. I've seen him in a lot of movies and tv series. His acting is consistently good and he has range: from playing a real prick and asshole to a decent man who will do anything for a loved one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 23, 2022 7:50 AM

As reference for r61.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 23, 2022 8:26 AM

R61 He's also my reason for watching this. Though "The White Queen" was crap, he's my favorite screen Richard III, and I wish he'd had a larger role in "Dunkirk" instead of Harry "I'ma serious actah" Styles.

by Anonymousreply 63November 23, 2022 10:14 AM

It Netflix’s number one show, but now there are plagiarism charges.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64November 24, 2022 2:17 AM

I hope there's gay action between the Captain and the guy in the trenchcoat.

by Anonymousreply 65November 28, 2022 6:19 AM

Plenty of cute and shirtless pics of Polish stud muffin Maciej Musial (OLek):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66November 28, 2022 6:44 AM

SPOILERS:

MY THEORY When Maura wakes up, Elliott and Daniel are the only ones not in pods. IMO, Daniel and Elliott are not alive but their consciousness uploaded into the system. Maura was trying to forget a trauma; could it be her husband and child died together in traumatic deaths? Also, the space travel may not be real, it could be another simulation and they've advanced to another level.

by Anonymousreply 67November 28, 2022 8:08 AM

I think both of your points are valid and right on point.

by Anonymousreply 68November 28, 2022 8:13 AM

I made it to episode 5 only by sheer endurance. This show was so needlessly convoluted and mysterious and was so vague that I became annoyed and irritated. I liked it up to the the point when the Kerberos crew went onto the Prometheus and found the boy, but after that, it was too much thrown into an already puzzling mix: the creepy boy, crawling into ducts in ship, the dude with the square device tapping into some control panel, time slowing down when the female lead was shot at, the lead female and her flashbacks. all the other flashbacks from captain and black guy, etc. I got a little more interested when the passengers threw themselves overboard, but then it was back to more vagueness and mind games.

I bailed after episode 5 cause I felt the ending would not be satisfying enough to have endured hours of BS.

by Anonymousreply 69November 28, 2022 6:16 PM

That's funny, Episode 5 is when I think it really took off.

R67, I think that's absolutely the case with D and E--it's one of the reasons that Maura has to wake up, D can't fix things in reality.

I'm undecided about your second point--it's certainly possible, particularly with the relatively primitive interface we see, but there's a number of ways the story could go if it's some version of reality.

by Anonymousreply 70November 28, 2022 10:32 PM

[quote] That's funny, Episode 5 is when I think it really took off.

I have a lot less patience for TV due to being burned so many times in the last few years. There's so many hours that I got cheated out of watching shows and hoping that the ending made up for the previous X hours. These are some of m=the recent shows that left me hanging: The Sinner w/Bill Pullman, The Patient w/ Steve Carrell, Open Range w/Josh Brolin, The Midnight Club by Mike Flanagan, Pam and Tommy, and the list goes on. About half of these I gave up on when it became a chore to sit through them. That's why I bailed on this show - I'm not going to keep hold on if the ride isn't thrilling me.

by Anonymousreply 71November 29, 2022 12:43 AM

I'm on the third long episode.

It's a little intriguing and a little slow.

The one thing I hope the show explains but I expect it will not is why all these people continually speak their own languages to others who don't speak the language, and never make any effort to actually communicate. One person speaks Polish, the other speaks Cantonese, the blabber on to themselves and never make any effort to translate. And then in this episode, one of the crewmen made an announcement in German to everyone in steerage, including Danes and Poles and others, and everyone seems to have understood what he said. Hrrm.

by Anonymousreply 72November 29, 2022 1:05 PM

R72 Again, don’t try to impose logic to this show, it’s a futile path.

by Anonymousreply 73November 29, 2022 1:45 PM

I would have preferred to watch the multilingual version. The English dubbing is subpar; over-pronounced and voices don't match actors.

by Anonymousreply 74November 29, 2022 6:16 PM

Just finished it. It wasn't DARK level good, but I enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 75November 29, 2022 6:23 PM

I was getting a little annoyed with how at the end they kept climbing in and out of the wormholes and whenever the action returned to the abandoned metal institution.

The most effective scene was all the passengers jumping overboard.

by Anonymousreply 76November 29, 2022 6:40 PM

R76 That was very chilling, and I never expected scar boy to be one of them.

by Anonymousreply 77November 29, 2022 6:47 PM

R71, I thought Dark was incredible and it got a slow start, but over three seasons, it ended up following through a very complex plot. When I rewatched parts, I realized the amazing amount of set up there had been from the very beginning. These show runners aren't like the showrunners of Battlestar Galactica--they know what their arc is and how the story ends.

by Anonymousreply 78November 29, 2022 7:02 PM

I'm thinking that maybe I should give Dark another shot, after reading R78's comment. That's another show I started, giving it a good 2-3 episodes to reel me in, but I felt no engagement. If I do go back, I'll try to be more patient.

by Anonymousreply 79November 29, 2022 7:27 PM

R79 I think it’s a masterpiece, but it is a show you need to watch and not do anything else. It’s not impossible to understand, but you need to pay attention, but so worth it.

by Anonymousreply 80November 29, 2022 7:34 PM

R79, Dark does take commitment--it's real science fiction, it engages with ideas and follows them through.

R74, I've read that the dubbed version is awful. Besides a good chunk of it is in English, anyway, so I don't see the point of a dubbed version for most viewers.

R76 I was sort of amused by the way they continued to show falling bodies in the portholes and in the distance shots. That shows a certain kind of nerve.

I can see a number of directions the show can go in in the next season, so I hope it's greenlit.

by Anonymousreply 81November 29, 2022 7:45 PM

So when they were on the ship, the scene begins in the dining room. The other characters are seen and introduced or described. The show progresses, they find the other ship, there’s a mutiny, passengers start jumping overboard…is all this supposed to be one (very long, very surreal) day?

The weather is uniformly gray. They’re at sea with no landmarks. It’s supposed to be disorienting but the French woman was wearing the same dress with the insect embroidery at the neck throughout. Most of the other characters’ clothing was indistinguishable, I was reading the subtitles, but hers was really obvious. Knowing how the season ended and their efforts to find out what was really happening to them, it’s interesting that none of them came to that realization.

by Anonymousreply 82December 1, 2022 3:10 PM

Lol, I’ll say it one more time! DO NOT TRY TO APPLY LOGIC TO THIS SHOW, see the anomalies as clues to the what’s really going on.

by Anonymousreply 83December 1, 2022 3:22 PM

Yeah, the whole thing doesn't make much sense. Why pull that stunt with the passengers jumping off the ship when the simulation is being shut down anyway? It's all about putting drama and WTF? mystery over logic.

by Anonymousreply 84December 1, 2022 3:36 PM

Maura should dump the (kind of cute) husband and get with the hot Captain. He kind of looked like a cross between Guy Pearce and Jorah Mormont from Game of Thrones. Yum.

Lucien was a very pretty man.

Spoilers spoilers

I’d be alright if Daniel and Elliott were both dead and existed only in the simulation. I got the feeling by what the grandpa said that Elliott was for sure dead.

by Anonymousreply 85December 1, 2022 3:43 PM

I'd imagine the season two cliffhanger involves the reveal that it's all a game show of the "social experiment" (sure, Jan) variety.

by Anonymousreply 86December 1, 2022 3:46 PM

R86 M. Night’s The Village! Stolen from Margaret Peterson Haddix’s Running Out of Time!

by Anonymousreply 87December 1, 2022 3:55 PM

Did anyone else think it was very difficult to tell who the people were in the other pods at the end when she woke up? I just assumed it was all of the other passengers still "alive" on the ship, but it was impossible to really tell.

by Anonymousreply 88December 1, 2022 4:13 PM

It was hard to ID some. I recognized Krester, the captain, olek, Ramiro, olek’s girlfriend and her mom, Jerome, and a couple others so I’m assuming they were all the people we knew. And they will be in the new simulation or whatever will happen in space.

No Daniel or the boy.

by Anonymousreply 89December 1, 2022 4:18 PM

Thank you r88 and r89. I thought it was just my introverted, reclusive self.

by Anonymousreply 90December 1, 2022 4:29 PM

About midway through, I thought it was a simulation or a mental hallucination centered on the boy, like he was dead in a preventable accident and she was imagining that this time she could save him. Or he was dead and she’s living in an alternative universe where he is alive. I hope not because that would be too cliched.

by Anonymousreply 91December 2, 2022 3:04 PM

A short tribute to Maciej Musiał's coal-shoveling shirtless scene, made by Netflix!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92December 2, 2022 4:06 PM

One pod is empty, so it could have contained Daniel, but that doesn't make sense given that he tells Maura that she has to wake up and save things--meaning Daniel can't. I think both Daniel and Elliot are AIs--uploads of people that have died or, at the very least, aren't around.

I couldn't tell who was who in the pods either, but Reddi says Maura is next to Eyk and Virginia (brothel madame, who's an interesting character. We didn't see her backstory, but she's the first model in the opening credits). Krester and his family are there, but minus his youngest sister. Li Ting (?) and her mother are both there.

by Anonymousreply 93December 2, 2022 7:27 PM

I could see the brother holding his nephew hostage in some form (fully alive and conscious, or in stasis) and Daniel hiding to find some way to fight his brother-in-law.

by Anonymousreply 94December 2, 2022 7:58 PM

If they don't bring back hottie Maciej Musial, I'm done.

by Anonymousreply 95December 2, 2022 9:59 PM

I don't understand why Krester or Olek or anyone else who "died" going over the side of the boat would be in the pods. Why wouldn't it just be those eight people who were left on the ship after the lemming leap who were running all around it trying to escape the spreading black metal filings from that kid's game where you put them on the face of the guy to give him a beard and/or hair.

by Anonymousreply 96December 3, 2022 12:23 AM

R96, Because the simulation reboots after every days and in the previous simulations everyone has died. Basically, you relive the simulation over and over until you survive it or find a way to break out of it. That's why Maura unlocking it matters--she created it, though she no longer has control over it, and can presumably stop people reliving the nightmare over and over.

by Anonymousreply 97December 3, 2022 12:42 AM

R96 Wooly Willy!

by Anonymousreply 98December 4, 2022 2:49 PM

He should show up next season

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99December 4, 2022 2:49 PM

I know it’s pronounced ‘Ike’ but every time I see Eyk written my brain says ‘Eek’. It won’t stop.

by Anonymousreply 100December 4, 2022 2:51 PM

Loved it. Fucking wild ride!!

by Anonymousreply 101December 5, 2022 3:02 AM

Just finished tonight, and I loved it. Even if I hadn't been aware in advance, I would know that this was from the creators of Dark, so I have great faith in their three season plan. Hopefully, since it is a three season plan, we will get the whole thing, since three seems to be the magic number for Netflix, other than special circumstances.

I love convoluted shows like this, where anything could be a clue. At the end of the first episode, I thought it was a bit jarring when Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit played, which seemed anachronistic, and thought, clue? End of the second episode it was Child in Time by Deep Purple, and I thought, definitely a clue, and indeed they were

Interestingly, the Danish actors who played Tove and Krester also played brother and sister on the Danish Netflix series Rain.

by Anonymousreply 102December 20, 2022 3:39 AM

CANCELLED

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103January 2, 2023 6:17 PM

Wait....what? I thought it did really well in the ratings, it was in the top ten of Netflix for a long time

by Anonymousreply 104January 2, 2023 6:23 PM

BUMMER! No season 2!

by Anonymousreply 105January 2, 2023 7:34 PM

I'm dying to know what they had in mind for the next couple seasons. Can't they at least do a wrap-up movie?

by Anonymousreply 106January 2, 2023 7:43 PM

This is why I no longer trust those posts on social media that say such and such show is the #1 watched show in 15 countries this week. This show got that kind of PR and here we are anyway. Morherfucker! I really liked this one.

by Anonymousreply 107January 2, 2023 8:33 PM

That really sucks. I love the creators - hopefully they put out something else soon.

by Anonymousreply 108January 2, 2023 9:22 PM

The actors aren't happy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109January 2, 2023 9:44 PM

Are any of the actors playing the gay characters out irl? The Spaniard was really good.

by Anonymousreply 110January 3, 2023 1:26 AM

Horrible show

by Anonymousreply 111January 3, 2023 1:41 AM

Apparently it had a low "completion percentage" - i.e. most of the people who started watching it didn't finish it

by Anonymousreply 112January 4, 2023 10:08 PM

I almost turned it off after Scandinavian twink’s family prevented him from getting any. I bet his buss was thirsty as heck.

by Anonymousreply 113January 5, 2023 3:06 AM

Angel made Mama's mussy moist

by Anonymousreply 114January 5, 2023 3:20 AM

Angel has the nicest set of teeth I've ever seen on a non American actor.

by Anonymousreply 115January 5, 2023 3:39 AM

Angel needs a spinoff - stat!!!!

by Anonymousreply 116January 5, 2023 3:57 AM

[quote] Don't even get me started on a double story dinning room like they had in 1899 when such designs would likely not have come into fashion until another 15-20 years at best.

Heaven forbid, Mary!!

by Anonymousreply 117January 5, 2023 4:19 AM

Angel was great on ELITE.

by Anonymousreply 118January 5, 2023 4:35 PM

Miguel Bernardeau was recently hanging out with Lucas Lynggaard Tønnesen and Louis Hoffmann. I wonder what the 3 of them got up to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119May 21, 2023 10:15 AM

I'm guessing pizza.

Just a wild guess.

by Anonymousreply 120May 21, 2023 11:26 AM

What you were hoping for r119 was that they fucked despite Miguel Bernardeau having a girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 121May 21, 2023 2:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!