Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

PERIPHERAL- New Amazon Prime ScFi show from Westworld Team Based on William Gibson Novel

In the near future, Chloe Grace Moretz enters an AI world that look like Westworld’s future NYC, but in London, covering for her hunky brother to test out security by hobnobbing with the beautiful people and doing battle in what might really be a future reality. First two episodes drop on October 21.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152October 30, 2023 4:44 PM

Jack Reynor is the very attractive Irish actor playing her brother and performing the action sequences within the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2022 6:22 AM

From Westworld team? Well another Snoozefest 😴

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2022 7:50 AM

Trans actress, or is it transactress one word?, Alexandra Billings is in this too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2022 8:09 AM

I was gonna skip this, but I saw a clip of Jack Reynor, shirtless with big pink nipples. Let's just say that "I'm in." For now.

by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2022 10:47 AM

What is the name of that girl’s face shape?

I do not like it.

Ugly Scarlett Johansson has the same ant-like head.

by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2022 11:06 AM

Based on buying new frames at the optometrist once and being told I need to buy them based on my face shape I would say heart? That’s the one I couldn’t quite figure out, so when I’m at a loss they all get plopped in there.

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2022 1:53 PM

She is a critical darling but I just don't care for Moretz as an actress.

by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2022 2:03 PM

Who’s has been critical about her?

by Anonymousreply 8October 21, 2022 2:05 PM

If this show is even half as good as the book, we're in for a treat.

However, I doubt it will be.

by Anonymousreply 9October 21, 2022 2:18 PM

The male lead is so hot.

by Anonymousreply 10October 21, 2022 2:29 PM

Holy shyte Jack is pretty. I strongly dislike Moretz, aka legs from Family Guy. But Jack leaves me all tingly.

And her face shape is dinner plate or bobble head.

by Anonymousreply 11October 21, 2022 6:13 PM

I’m critical of her!

She’s ugly and polluting my beautiful mind!

by Anonymousreply 12October 21, 2022 6:24 PM

I like the show so far. I didn’t know it was a book, so thank you R9.

I think she’s pretty.

The male lead is attractive but nothing particularly special.

by Anonymousreply 13October 21, 2022 6:52 PM

She’s gorgeous, you people are demented.

Is this any good? I’m sort of without anything to watch atm.

by Anonymousreply 14October 21, 2022 7:12 PM

Just did a quick google, the guardian says:

[quote] Suffice to say that it is a bravura rendition of Gibson’s tale, told with confidence by people I suspect will keep the plotting tight and the internal logic – whatever that may be – consistent.

I’ll try it.

by Anonymousreply 15October 21, 2022 7:15 PM

R13 And THAT'S exactly why he IS particularly special.

by Anonymousreply 16October 21, 2022 9:37 PM

Well, that and the big pink nipples r16.

by Anonymousreply 17October 21, 2022 9:38 PM

R9 I put the fact that it’s based on a William Gibson novel IN TO THE HEADING! Also, look for clips of Jack speaking in his native Irish accent, that’s a huge draw, and apparently he did full frontal in a foreign movie as well.

by Anonymousreply 18October 21, 2022 10:20 PM

It's a great book, r13. I've read the sequel, which had interesting ideas, but wasn't so fun as the first. Gibson is a great world builder, though, and he can write.

by Anonymousreply 19October 21, 2022 10:45 PM

I agree r19, and so far this is a pretty wonderful adaptation.

by Anonymousreply 20October 21, 2022 10:46 PM

Now if they would only adapt Neal Stephenson's "Anathem".

by Anonymousreply 21October 21, 2022 10:47 PM

Honestly, I had thought William Gibson long dead and of the same generation as Philip K. Dick, imagine my surprise.

by Anonymousreply 22October 21, 2022 10:49 PM

I watched after seeing TROP finale, and was very surprised at how it held my attention. The trailer was pure shit and a disservice to the show.

by Anonymousreply 23October 21, 2022 11:04 PM

[quote][R9] I put the fact that it’s based on a William Gibson novel IN TO THE HEADING!

Well, first things first. Oh, dear.

And, what part of the statement "If this show is even half as good as the book, we're in for a treat" contradicts the idea that you put that it's based on a novel IN TO THE HEADING.

by Anonymousreply 24October 21, 2022 11:11 PM

Jack Reynor is fucking beautiful in this, but if you google him and look at pics, he's been damn ugly in the past.

Kinda like Chris Pratt in a way... he's been a total schlub before he got "hot" for Jurassic World and Guardians of the Galaxy.

So damn hot now though. Hope he has more nude scenes...

But so far I'm digging the show. Episode 1 was very good, and episode two was decent as well. I'm liking it. It's not dull or pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 25October 22, 2022 6:03 AM

Jack Reynor did a full frontal scene for a move a few years ago. LPSG has the photos and videos.

by Anonymousreply 26October 22, 2022 6:13 AM

Not impressive. But maybe it's better when it's hard, who knows. And this was apparently during one of his pasty/doughy periods.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 22, 2022 6:16 AM

Can't stand that Chloe clown so this is a hard pass for me.

by Anonymousreply 28October 22, 2022 6:17 AM

Reynor naked in Midsommar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 22, 2022 9:23 AM

My apologies to r27. Completely missed the link you provided.

by Anonymousreply 30October 22, 2022 9:25 AM

R27 In what universe is that pasty and doughy?

by Anonymousreply 31October 22, 2022 10:17 AM

There was scene in that movie where an old lady was pushing his ass while he was fucking a girl. She must have a perfect view of his hairy asshole.

by Anonymousreply 32October 22, 2022 11:23 AM

I watched the Carrie remake with Moretz and was very unimpressed. Cute girl, terrible actress.

by Anonymousreply 33October 22, 2022 11:36 AM

In this universe R27. You need to have your cataracts fixed. That pic is a pasty doughy micro peen Irishman. Bone killer.

R25 is totally right.

by Anonymousreply 34October 22, 2022 1:18 PM

R27 actually makes me respect him more as an actor. He is willing to humiliate himself for his craft. Props

If I looked like that, I wouldn’t get naked at home in private. I’d do the towel dance or I’d cover the mirrors like shiva.

by Anonymousreply 35October 22, 2022 1:23 PM

She’s not a terrible actress by any stretch. She was just completely miscast as wallflower Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 36October 22, 2022 1:27 PM

^^ she was perfectly cast in Family Guy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 22, 2022 1:42 PM

R5 the name for her face shape is whatever you call a shape that makes you want to punch it.

The Irishman is so-so but I’d totally bend over for him just so he would talk dirty to me with that fuck me Irish accent.

by Anonymousreply 38October 22, 2022 5:15 PM

[quote]Kinda like Chris Pratt in a way... he's been a total schlub before he got "hot" for Jurassic World and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Agreed. He looks like a doughy Chris Pratt - which is something, given how doughy Pratt is, except when he got ripped to land the Guardians role for the first outing - I mean, they've had to insert jokes about him needing to put the sandwich down in the later movies.

by Anonymousreply 39October 22, 2022 5:45 PM

Episode 3 is up.

by Anonymousreply 40October 28, 2022 5:33 AM

First two sodes were excellent. Lots of action.

by Anonymousreply 41October 28, 2022 5:35 AM

The bees scene was fiendishly evil.

by Anonymousreply 42October 28, 2022 7:34 AM

Those of you who are fans of William Gibson and Neal Stephenson, can you recommend similar writers. I’ve read most of their novels and truly enjoy their style

by Anonymousreply 43October 28, 2022 3:16 PM

I'm also a fan of both r43. Don't know of anyone quite at their level, but I am currently reading and very much enjoying "The 22 Murders of Madison May".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 28, 2022 3:46 PM

R43 - check out Ursula K. Le Guin, Octavia E. Butler, Tanith Lee to start. Any Ray Bradbury work is classic as is Phillip K. Dick's writings, in particular, Valis by PKD.

by Anonymousreply 45October 28, 2022 3:47 PM

I'd actually go with

Margaret Atwood - try Oryx and Crake.

Cixin Liu - The Three Body Problem

Alistair Reynolds - Revelation Space novels

Peter F Hamilton - Pandora’s Star and Judas Unchained

Iain Banks - Consider Phlebas

by Anonymousreply 46October 28, 2022 4:07 PM

r45 and r46 - Those are all undeniably fine writers of science fiction, but none of them are in the subgenre of Gibson or Stephenson.

by Anonymousreply 47October 28, 2022 4:58 PM

I'm shocked this many people think he's doughy and should be embarrassed. Then I remember where I am and that most people commenting probably look like Kevin from the Office. But with more hair.

by Anonymousreply 48October 28, 2022 7:22 PM

[quote][R45] and [R46] - Those are all undeniably fine writers of science fiction, but none of them are in the subgenre of Gibson or Stephenson.

I don't disagree as Gibson and Stephenson both write in a very unique subgenre of science fiction. Kim Stanley Robinson might work if you feel those are too different. Malka Older's Infomacracy books might work, as well.

Of course, if you just want straight cyberpunk, Pat Cadigan and Bruce Sterling may be worth a peek.

by Anonymousreply 49October 28, 2022 7:45 PM

Thanks r49. I will look into those four writers.

Appreciate the tip.

by Anonymousreply 50October 28, 2022 8:02 PM

Episode 3 is boring. We need more shirtless Jack Reynor.

by Anonymousreply 51October 29, 2022 6:12 AM

It wasn't boring, it was rather intense. The black woman's introduction as the simmering evil was really well done... she is TERRIFYING. Some more good world-building too. The simmering tension between the brother and the old guy at the table, the whole carrot and stick discussion... that was really well done.

I'm loving this show. A lot.

by Anonymousreply 52October 29, 2022 3:37 PM

It's a mishmash of ideas that are now not unusual in 2022. I'm not interested in the black big bad bee bitch , and the crappy southern accents and the terrible dialogue are putting me off the whole enterprise. I love the opening credits visuals.

by Anonymousreply 53November 2, 2022 2:05 AM

I like the songs they're using: London Calling, Outlaw State of Mind, Sleeping on the Blacktop.

Pickett is so vicious, I wouldn't be amazed if his crew mutinied.

by Anonymousreply 54November 2, 2022 2:25 AM

(just rolling eyes at R53)

by Anonymousreply 55November 2, 2022 2:44 AM

I saw her in “The Clouds of Silas Maria” in a nothing part. I think she’s good in this but I don’t think the role is very demanding dramatically.

by Anonymousreply 56November 5, 2022 12:37 AM

Why are there so many stupid accents in this show?

by Anonymousreply 57November 5, 2022 6:37 AM

I'm waiting until ALL episodes have been dumped.

Y'know...Not to sound like my parents, BUT I signed up for streaming so I can watch things that are exclusive and available whenever the FUCK I want to. This one episode a week is some BULLSHIT.

by Anonymousreply 58November 5, 2022 11:08 AM

Episode 5, What about Bob? has dropped.

by Anonymousreply 59November 11, 2022 3:08 AM

Binging kills momentum for brand new shows. It results in less word of mouth buzz.

Binging is ok for finished shows or previous seasons of a show still releasing new seasons.

It's like with DL where popular shows get separate threads for each new episode (Game of Thrones, The Gilded Age, for example). You don't get that with a new show releasing, or dumping, an entire season at once. And for a lot of shows I think that's a damn shame. At least reddit tries to get discussions going by starting threads for each individual episode, but the participation is usually not that great.

by Anonymousreply 60November 11, 2022 8:06 AM

R60 Bullshit

by Anonymousreply 61November 11, 2022 10:47 AM

r61, based on what?

by Anonymousreply 62November 11, 2022 10:53 AM

Not r61, but based on the fact that it's bullshit.

I prefer to binge series. You don't.

by Anonymousreply 63November 11, 2022 11:32 AM

[quote] I prefer to binge series. You don't.

Your preference was never questioned. Read r60 again which is clearly not about what viewers want, but what gives a new show a better chance to find a greater audience.

by Anonymousreply 64November 11, 2022 11:38 AM

Nah, I am not gonna read r60 again. I have sufficient.

When it comes to my entertainment consumption, I don't give one single fuck about a show's ability to find a "greater audience". I care about whether or not I enjoy it. And I usually enjoy it in one or two binges.

by Anonymousreply 65November 11, 2022 11:47 AM

I like the show but boy are they chatty. Sometimes the dialogue and ideas are unwieldy.

by Anonymousreply 66November 11, 2022 12:02 PM

[quote] Nah, I am not gonna read [R60] again. I have sufficient.

[quote] When it comes to my entertainment consumption, I don't give one single fuck about a show's ability to find a "greater audience". I care about whether or not I enjoy it. And I usually enjoy it in one or two binges.

So, you're one of *those* people who make random posts about themself? Got it. Dismissing your rambling from now on.

by Anonymousreply 67November 11, 2022 12:06 PM

So, you're one of *those* people who make random posts "canon" and thinks he understands how the entertainment industry works?

by Anonymousreply 68November 11, 2022 12:23 PM

About to watch ep 4 & 5. Can we look forward to any gay male content? Anyone know without spoiling the story? Not that it’s required, but it would be interesting to know.

I hope someone ends up sucking off the hot brother, or maybe he’s secretly fucking one of his haptic-enabled battle bros.

I guess there’s hope for Wilf as well, since he told Flynne that their romantic tension was fake haha. But he’s obsessed with the missing lady, so maybe not.

by Anonymousreply 69November 11, 2022 12:31 PM

This show is already forgotten. Expensive to produce. Will be canceled just like Westworld. Lisa Joy and Nolan are out of a job.

by Anonymousreply 70November 11, 2022 12:50 PM

[quote]'m waiting until ALL episodes have been dumped.

For me, it's part wanting to binge the entire thing and not have to wait for episodes to drop.

However, the biggest part is that it's such a waste of time to expend time and effort on shows which might or might not get a second season. I despise when you become invested in a show that doesn't get a second season, but ends with a bunch of mysteries. I usually wait to see if the first season was well-received and if the show gets picked up for a second season before committing.

However, on a show like Westworld whose second season was terrible, I can walk away without too much angst.

by Anonymousreply 71November 11, 2022 1:07 PM

Why is this creative team always obsessed with filming wet streets?

by Anonymousreply 72November 11, 2022 1:15 PM

[quote]Why is this creative team always obsessed with filming wet streets?

Answer: you've erroneously inserted the word "creative" in this sentence.

by Anonymousreply 73November 11, 2022 1:17 PM

New London is damn beautiful. But I kinda feel like it’s actually a game because of the way Flynne had to solve something a few episodes ago. Like the point of the game is that it’s immersive…and you have to defend yourself from real-life assassins. Maybe.

by Anonymousreply 74November 11, 2022 1:18 PM

The bridge sequence was quite good, nice, tight and well done.

by Anonymousreply 75November 11, 2022 1:31 PM

I'm reading the book presently

by Anonymousreply 76November 11, 2022 1:32 PM

So far it's pretty good. I love scifi shows but get turned off by ridiculous plots. So far they are giving us a slow look into New London, with just enough flashbacks each episode. They didn't reveal the purpose of those enormous sculptures in New London until the 3rd or 4th episode. Also love that this is set with the "present" 15 years from now, so there's a lot that looks familiar to us, but also some new/ future tech in use.

by Anonymousreply 77November 11, 2022 1:33 PM

During the summer, I read Gibson’s IDORU, and while completely batshit and kind of misogynistic, it was shockingly prescient about things like fandom culture, social media connectivity, and deepfake/AI tech. It was written in the early 90s, but references things becoming normal in our time. Creepy.

by Anonymousreply 78November 11, 2022 1:42 PM

R66 that’s William Gibson’s style. He writes potboilers, often with overly-loquacious whipsmart characters who always have a comeback ready or a thought to share.

by Anonymousreply 79November 11, 2022 1:44 PM

God, R65 is a tedious moron with zero reading comprehension. Going on the ignore list. What a fucking prat.

by Anonymousreply 80November 11, 2022 1:49 PM

I've loved each episode so far. Will watch the new episode tonight.

by Anonymousreply 81November 11, 2022 1:50 PM

what a pretty thing

by Anonymousreply 82November 11, 2022 1:56 PM

This episode was one of the best, tight, not overly long, kept moving the plot forward, lots of action and beautifully shot.

by Anonymousreply 83November 11, 2022 1:59 PM

I agree that this last episode was better.

by Anonymousreply 84November 11, 2022 3:08 PM

[quote] I like the songs they're using: London Calling, Outlaw State of Mind, Sleeping on the Blacktop.

Well, it is CyberPUNK, after all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85November 11, 2022 7:01 PM

I want an invisible car.

by Anonymousreply 86November 12, 2022 2:14 AM

[quote]They didn't reveal the purpose of those enormous sculptures in New London until the 3rd or 4th episode.

What ARE those things?

by Anonymousreply 87November 12, 2022 2:15 AM

Help me, Datalounge; only you will understand. Is anyone annoyed Flynne usually speaks with poor grammar, but then she uses the subjunctive correctly.?

by Anonymousreply 88November 12, 2022 6:09 AM

Flynne clearly is a DL poster

by Anonymousreply 89November 12, 2022 10:35 AM

R80 Why would you think ANYONE cares that you're putting them on ignore? Are you 12?

by Anonymousreply 90November 12, 2022 10:35 AM

The RI and Klept villains chew the scenery, but it’s fun.

by Anonymousreply 91November 13, 2022 7:08 PM

It’s really nothing special. Why is there still an audience for these dystopian, woman in peril serials?

by Anonymousreply 92November 13, 2022 11:55 PM

Jack is so cute. I want to lick his face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93November 14, 2022 2:17 AM

Quite fuckable:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94November 14, 2022 2:19 AM

he's got a very neutral accent

by Anonymousreply 95November 14, 2022 2:40 AM

R92, whatever. It's pretty special in my opinion. I love the world-building, I love the juxtaposition of the slightly future rural south carolina setting with the ultra futuristic future (and the way that future is basically rising from the ashes of a great disaster). There's a lot of mystery, and it's revealing it all at a steady pace, keeping you involved. Great characters, interesting, with depth to them. And while I'm not a fan of scenery chewing in general, the evil lady does an amazing job at it. It's entertaining, it keeps you guessing, it's well written, and well acted.

by Anonymousreply 96November 14, 2022 4:53 AM

I’m still reading the book, maybe I’ll watch

by Anonymousreply 97November 14, 2022 11:43 AM

Dr. Deedee's accent annoyed me. Do people in North Carolina really pronounce anything as ennything?

Also, if any tabletop queens are reading, did anyone recognize Lev Zubov's breakfast china? My first thought was Wedgwood Colonnade Black, but that's not it. You can get a good look at 2:03.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98November 14, 2022 10:53 PM

I love the feeling of it

by Anonymousreply 99November 15, 2022 11:57 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 100November 15, 2022 12:19 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 101November 15, 2022 12:20 PM

what is her damage

by Anonymousreply 102November 15, 2022 12:25 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 103November 15, 2022 12:29 PM

The book reads like a brilliant script for a tv program so I’m not surprised it has now been televised. Lots and lots of brilliant imagery and fascinating looking characters.

by Anonymousreply 104November 16, 2022 4:58 PM

New episode is up

by Anonymousreply 105November 18, 2022 3:42 AM

Exciting news

by Anonymousreply 106November 18, 2022 12:07 PM

This week's episode was more talky than normal. But I love that British Inspector. That amount of confidence is terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 107November 19, 2022 1:20 AM

The Inspector's a sassy one! Alexandra Billings:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108November 19, 2022 5:18 AM

I don’t understand, in a barely populated future world with extensive robots for servants why would a highly skilled technician and his wife be running a traditional butcher shop in future London? Who would even be going there to purchase meat, wouldn’t everything be delivered from warehouses?

by Anonymousreply 109November 19, 2022 10:07 AM

Didn't realize that he has an accent.

by Anonymousreply 110November 19, 2022 10:26 AM

R108, in some great stunt casting she’s trans. And having just finished the book (spoiler) the character in the book is too.

by Anonymousreply 111November 19, 2022 10:53 AM

R111 I don’t think you understand the concept of stunt casting. If it was RuPaul or Caitlyn Jenner, yes, Alexandra is not that well known and barely a working actress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112November 19, 2022 10:58 AM

stunt casting in that they casta a real trans actress for a real trans role.

by Anonymousreply 113November 19, 2022 11:16 AM

R113 Yeah, no, that’s not it either. The backlash in this day and age would have been swift if they didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 114November 19, 2022 11:20 AM

possibly, but I think they did a wonderful job in casting her. the book makes her seem invincible yet inscrutable.

by Anonymousreply 115November 19, 2022 11:22 AM

Absolutely r115. She is perfect in the role.

by Anonymousreply 116November 19, 2022 11:58 AM

[quote]Alexandra is not that well known and barely a working actress.

She's recurring on The Conners, she was a regular on Transparent, she regularly shows up in guest shots ... I'd say she's the definition of a working actress. I like her but her accent on Peripheral is pretty dicey.

by Anonymousreply 117November 19, 2022 12:05 PM

it sounds stagey, which honesty works

by Anonymousreply 118November 19, 2022 7:54 PM

I enjoyed Lev's freakout when he hears the police are at the door. He didn't like Cherise, but he held his own. Lowbeer scares the bejesus out of him.

by Anonymousreply 119November 20, 2022 12:23 AM

Jack Reynor was in a weird series called Strange Angel and he was pudgy and plain-looking then. I was surprised to see how fit he's become , it really enhances his attractiveness. He must have worked out strenuously with nutritionists and sports trainers.

Btw, every time I see him onscreen, he was a Southern American accent - which he does great and he comes off as an American. It always surprises me to hear his real Irish accent.

by Anonymousreply 120November 20, 2022 1:39 AM

I find this show confusing as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 121November 20, 2022 1:43 AM

Read the book, it’s even more so

by Anonymousreply 122November 20, 2022 2:10 AM

Yes, he was sorta cute in 'Strange Angel' in a retro hunk way, but I disliked the show's cult munbo-jumbo, and didn't it get cancelled before concluding or was the second season 'done?'

He's much more handsome now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123November 20, 2022 3:50 AM

He’s super handsome

by Anonymousreply 124November 20, 2022 12:19 PM

So, Jack pulled a Chris Pratt, hopefully he doesn’t become right wing and Churchy.

by Anonymousreply 125November 20, 2022 1:01 PM

how?

by Anonymousreply 126November 20, 2022 1:55 PM

Ugh, I’ve followed this show up until now, but I’m lost in all the contrivances of what’s going on in London. Read one recap, but it didn’t even touch on the plot mechanizations there. I did love Tommy getting some meaty couple of scenes and some agency though.

by Anonymousreply 127November 25, 2022 9:02 AM

Moretz is a lez so I like her. I might give this a try.

by Anonymousreply 128November 25, 2022 9:31 AM

This isn’t going to be renewed.

by Anonymousreply 129November 25, 2022 12:33 PM

R129 Exactly how over budget did season one go?

by Anonymousreply 130November 25, 2022 12:55 PM

Tommy’s dim, sexy self is coming into his own nicely. I would guess he and his Dr wife are going to join the team now. It would be messy if he becomes a new romantic distraction for Flynne tho lol; she needs to focus. Also, low key, I kind of want Burton to also be in love with Connor and that be a source of tension between the siblings. It would be messy, but fun.

by Anonymousreply 131November 25, 2022 4:14 PM

I think Flynne is in love with Wilf.

I really love Katie Leung.

by Anonymousreply 132November 26, 2022 4:18 AM

They finally revealed why they want to kill Flynn and her brother. Why did it have to take so damn long? We were led to believe it was because they were the last person who saw Wilf's sister which was a weak premise. So all this this has to do with bacteria containing secrets that they implanted in Flynn's brain. At least that's what I get and this makes better sense.

by Anonymousreply 133November 26, 2022 6:50 AM

I’m enjoying this show - it defintely has Westworld vibes. Louis Herthum (Peter Abernathy) is great.

The guy who plays Wilf is hot and so is Zev.

Cherise and Lowbeer are great characters. I think I could watch a show about Lowbeer - what a great face!

Was yesterday’s episode the finale? I hope not!

by Anonymousreply 134November 26, 2022 12:10 PM

Sorry, meant to point out Herthum was Abernathy on Westworld.

by Anonymousreply 135November 26, 2022 12:10 PM

One more episode r134.

Also enjoying it a lot. Just enough different from the book to keep my interest.

There currently two books available: The Peripheral and Agency.

Agency took a while to write because he assumed that Hillary would win in 2016 with a Trump ruled America as that book's stub. Needless to say, that required MAJOR rewrites.

The third in the trilogy, Jackpot, is not yet completed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136November 26, 2022 1:10 PM

Does season 1 cover the whole first book? Or is season 2 going to continue the first book's plot?

I really hope there's a season 2. I'm loving everything about this show.

by Anonymousreply 137November 26, 2022 4:37 PM

Well, the plot of the book is different from the series. It is the setting and most of the characters that are the same.

by Anonymousreply 138November 26, 2022 5:40 PM

I agree completely with this review, the end was very much a whimper and not a bang. It didn’t help that I had no recognition of the actress or the character Alieta and didn’t know who she was until reading recaps, I thought she was a completely new character. They should have done a better job threading her through the series and keeping her recognition prominent and the idea that she might be alive, that’s definitely impacted how I perceived the end. And I guess there was after credits footage I missed as well. Who stays until the end of credits on streaming? Despite all this I do hope it gets another season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139December 2, 2022 11:04 PM

I knew who she was (or rather, remembered).

But time travel is confusing, and I'm less than clear about what actually happened there at the end.

I'll have to read a re-cap.

But still, I did very much enjoy the series even if the finale didn't quite pay off for me. Love all the characters.

by Anonymousreply 140December 3, 2022 8:00 AM

By splitting off another stub she created a new reality where she has all the knowledge and information she had at the point she split it off but, from the outside to the RI and other players in this future, it is just one simulation among who knows how many. Without knowing *which* simulation is the one with the data they want they are on the back foot until they either figure it out or nuke all of them.

Because Flynne dies in her ‘home’ stub the RI no longer has any reason to waste their energy, and sacrifice whatever experiments they were using it for, to try and scrub or reclaim their data. It’s already gone. Thus that version of her friends and family will mourn her but otherwise survive.

The Flynne we then see is the one from the new stub which, to her, is the exact same up until the point where she made - but before she enacted - the plan to split the stub. So she knows what she was planning to do and then can meet Lowbeer to find out she succeeded and do whatever the next steps will be.

by Anonymousreply 141December 3, 2022 8:13 AM

Goodness me! Jack Reynor has a lot of full frontal nudes out there! Very nice...

by Anonymousreply 142December 4, 2022 1:48 AM

I haven't read recent posts in this thread, because I'm worried about spoilers. I've just started watching (currently starting episode 3) and I'm hooked already.

I do have a question, though. Is the accent Flynne and Burton is using authentic for Carolina? I'm in love with it. To these British ears, it's incredibly soothing and attractive.

by Anonymousreply 143March 26, 2023 12:49 PM

I know this thread is almost dead, and I'm talking to myself, but nevertheless I was pleased to see that season two is a go! I enjoyed the first far more than I expected.

by Anonymousreply 144April 11, 2023 9:58 PM

The order has been rescinded, r144, and the series is cancelled. The writer's strikes are being blamed, although some might blame this on selfish producers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145August 18, 2023 10:41 PM

Yeah, going to blame the producers. This is pure spite.

by Anonymousreply 146August 19, 2023 3:09 AM

I just remembered this was unceremoniously cancelled after being renewed and now I'm pissed off all over again.

by Anonymousreply 147October 4, 2023 2:43 PM

Oh my god, every so often I remember this is canceled and I get upset again!

GODDAMMIT!

by Anonymousreply 148October 9, 2023 10:06 PM

Who do we have to write and threaten to get this back into production?

by Anonymousreply 149October 29, 2023 3:59 PM

I’m confident there exists a stub where this show continues and Connor slides his big, functional memory stick up into Burton.

by Anonymousreply 150October 30, 2023 3:01 AM

The first season of HBO's Westworld was excellent but that may be because Anthony Hopkins was in it. No one plays creepy characters better.

by Anonymousreply 151October 30, 2023 3:40 AM

I don't know, r149. If you find out, let me know. I enjoyed this. The guy who played Lev was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 152October 30, 2023 4:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!