Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Frau flips after hubby tries to eat off her plate at restaurant!

Whose side are you on? The koncerned karen or the hungry hubby?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85October 16, 2022 9:12 PM

Of course, and the answer is a simple YES. No goods or services of equal or greater value are required in exchange.

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2022 9:35 PM

And here I thought one of the benefits of having opposite tastes is that you can sample a bite or two from your partner's plate..

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2022 9:37 PM

And here I thought one of the benefits of having opposite tastes is that you can sample a bite or two from your partner's plate..

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2022 9:37 PM

Once would've sufficed, Muriel

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2022 9:37 PM

it doesn't sound like he takes a bite to taste, it sounds like he eats his AND hers too. fuck him, passive aggressive at its finest I bet.

by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2022 10:03 PM

She says they each pay for their own meals. If they're fighting over stupid shit like this, they shouldn't be together. They both sound like nightmares.

by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2022 10:58 PM

Of course the Reddit comments would act like your partner sampling your food is traumatic. Jesus Christ, how do some people function.

Yes, it's OK to sample what I ordered. The expectation is that the person asking will SAMPLE. It's also polite for the person requesting to ask if I want to try theirs, but if that doesn't happen I would never comment on it.

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2022 11:14 PM

Look at the poll results. Americans are such vulgar beasts.

by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2022 11:31 PM

[quote]She says they each pay for their own meals.

And they're married? WTF?

by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2022 11:49 PM

This story isn’t about sampling the food.

It’s about courtesy and respect. The husband is doing it on purpose as a power ploy. He knows it bothers the wife, yet continues to do it. Her refusal looks and sounds unhinged to an outside observer which is also his intent.

He’s banking this to use against her later to say to her or other people “see what I mean” when another situation arises.

He’s a manipulative piece of trash.

by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2022 11:50 PM

I agree with r10. And it’s one thing to have a bite or 2 but it sounds like the husband takes more than that.

by Anonymousreply 11October 15, 2022 11:53 PM

I'm sure she's had his dick in every orifice. But sharing her food is disgusting? I'd divorce this fucking weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 12October 15, 2022 11:55 PM

I agree with R10 and R11. My boyfriend does this and it drives me insane. He’ll also pitch a bitch fit if I say no. The issue for me isn’t so much the food. I’ve become much more open to sharing with him, but the issue for me as I’m sure it was for the girl posting was that how many times do I have to say that something bothers me before it sinks in. Is it ruder to refuse to offer food for the hundredth time or is it shittier to do something someone has told you they don’t like because you feel entitled to their dinner?

Eat your own fucking dinner and shut the hell up.

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2022 12:19 AM

I had a coworker (who was a complete psycho but, that's another story) who would go on and on and on about only eating healthy and would critique everything everyone else ate. When we ordered lunch she would invariably order something kind of healthy and continue to critique our choices but would eat off everyone else's plates EVERY SINGLE TIME. No French fries were safe from her, no dessert, no side dish. She would criticize the very food she was stuffing down her throat. It got to the point where I would order things that included ingredients from her fake allergy list to keep her off my food.

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2022 12:41 AM

Eat your own fucking meal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2022 12:49 AM

The husband sounds like an ill mannered pig. Leave him at home.

by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2022 1:06 AM

What kind of screwed up married couple pay for meals separately? They sound like fools. But if I was her husband I'd divorce that bitch as fast as I could.

by Anonymousreply 17October 16, 2022 1:32 AM

These people need to get a life.

by Anonymousreply 18October 16, 2022 1:56 AM

I'm not hungry. I'll just pick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2022 2:18 AM

White people are so weird about sharing food. We were at a Chinese restaurant and we each chose a dish. When the food came, this guy took the Kung Pao chicken, put it in front of himself and started eating right off the plate. We asked him why he would take the whole plate for himself and he said because he ordered it. Sharing was not even a concept he was aware of and thought it was weird.

by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2022 2:49 AM

[quote]White people are so weird about sharing food. We were at a Chinese restaurant and we each chose a dish. When the food came, this guy took the Kung Pao chicken, put it in front of himself and started eating right off the plate. We asked him why he would take the whole plate for himself and he said because he ordered it. Sharing was not even a concept he was aware of and thought it was weird.

Assuming you're eating family style is equally weird. You don't just assume you're sharing plates unless it's a previously established routine with ALL diners or you ask explicitly upfront. It doesn't matter whether it's Chinese, Italian, or any other cuisine.

Also, it's not about "sharing" food. Perhaps, he ordered what he wanted as a meal and was not interested in having other food. Just because YOU want to sample a bit here and there doesn't mean other people want to eat foods chosen by other people.

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2022 2:55 AM

Really white people?

by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2022 2:57 AM

Growing up, we always ate off each other’s plates. If we can’t make up our minds, we would order different dishes so we could try everything.

Plus there are restaurants that have chef specials for only one night. If you don’t sample then you would never be able to taste it again.

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2022 2:57 AM

[quote]Growing up, we always ate off each other’s plates. If we can’t make up our minds, we would order different dishes so we could try everything.

[quote]Plus there are restaurants that have chef specials for only one night. If you don’t sample then you would never be able to taste it again.

Other people are not responsible for satisfying your lack of decisiveness. If you don't want to miss the chance of ordering eating the special, order the special. If you want to eat family style and share plates, ASK the other people if they'd be interested in splitting a few items. If they say no, then pay for the extra food yourself and stop being entitled and insisting that other people bend to your finicky eating.

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2022 3:00 AM

[quote]If you don't want to miss the chance of ordering eating the special, order the special.

There are usually like 3 to 5 specials. How would you order 5 specials for yourself?! It’s more economical for each person to order a different one.

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2022 3:05 AM

I don't want to go out to eat with r25. All that sharing? No, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2022 3:06 AM

[quote]It doesn't matter whether it's Chinese, Italian, or any other cuisine.

Uh, it does matter if it’s Chinese, you buffoon. There are no individual entrees in Chinese dining.

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2022 3:06 AM

R10 I have to agree with that. Well said. And yes, of course it looks unhinged to the outsider.

by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2022 3:07 AM

[quote] Uh, it does matter if it’s Chinese, you buffoon. There are no individual entrees in Chinese dining.

Wrong.

by Anonymousreply 29October 16, 2022 3:10 AM

[quote]There are no individual entrees in Chinese dining.

A country of over 1 billion people would beg to differ, not anyone who chooses to eat chinese takeout at home by himself.

EVERY entree is a single entree. People simply choose to share the plates. But trust me, every Chinese restaurant in this country will let you order an entree by yourself and consume it, no matter how many people are at the table.

by Anonymousreply 30October 16, 2022 3:11 AM

And then you have the assholes who, when you do share plates, don't use an unused piece of silverware. Family style can go screw itself when you have people using the fork that was just in their mouth to repeatedly take portions from the shared plates. pigs.

by Anonymousreply 31October 16, 2022 3:12 AM

R31 ugh that’s gross too. Also it rewards the people who inhale their food in 3 min and punishes everyone else. Unless you just split everything right down the middle but that isn’t considered chill now is it.

by Anonymousreply 32October 16, 2022 3:13 AM

Good point r32, I am a very slow eater and just realized when you said that it's part of my annoyance with family style or sharing.

by Anonymousreply 33October 16, 2022 3:16 AM

[quote]Panda Express and PF Chang's

Are you kidding me, rube? Those aren’t Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 34October 16, 2022 3:18 AM

My family are Iranian, and Turkish Kurds, so I grew up where "family style" was how we ate. I also grew up in an area that was predominantly East Asians, so when I'd have dinner at my friend's homes they ate the same way we did at home. There was the serving dishes with the food, and the plates you eat off. Family style is not some free for all, with people scavenging the plates of others. I dont mind sharing my food with others. I always offer anyone who wants to try some of what I ordered, and I will put a portion on their plate before I eat any.

by Anonymousreply 35October 16, 2022 3:19 AM

[quote]EVERY entree is a single entree.

No, it’s not. Unless you’re a pig. Plus you have to order other things like rice to make it an entree. The only exception are the luncheon specials in Americanized places where they give you a set meal.

by Anonymousreply 36October 16, 2022 3:26 AM

[quote]I always offer anyone who wants to try some of what I ordered, and I will put a portion on their plate before I eat any.

This is the correct answer. Why are white people so uptight about sharing food?

by Anonymousreply 37October 16, 2022 3:32 AM

If dining with friends at a Chinese restaurant, unless there is specific discussion of ordering a variety of different dishes to share and everyone agrees on what we will get, it is understood that everyone orders individually.

by Anonymousreply 38October 16, 2022 3:38 AM

The wife stated her boundaries. Telling that the husband had to run online to get validation - there's more to it than what he's saying.

by Anonymousreply 39October 16, 2022 3:41 AM

[quote]If dining with friends at a Chinese restaurant, unless there is specific discussion of ordering a variety of different dishes to share and everyone agrees on what we will get, it is understood that everyone orders individually.

What kind of Chinese restaurant are you going to that has individual entrees? We’re not talking about ordering the orange chicken at The Cheesecake Factory.

by Anonymousreply 40October 16, 2022 3:44 AM

Huh r40? I order whatever I feel like eating from the menu.

by Anonymousreply 41October 16, 2022 3:50 AM

When everything is shared how are leftovers divided up to bring home?

by Anonymousreply 42October 16, 2022 4:33 AM

Former restaurant worker here.

I have a good sense of what dish a restaurant will make well. Fellow diners look at my dish and say: "I wish I ordered that." I don't mind if someone wants a taste of my food, but if I don't want them eating a lot of what I ordered.

I ordered a chocolate soufflé (takes 20 minutes to make). It arrived, it was a pretty small soufflé, and my friend (yes, a vegetarian) kept sticking her spoon into my soufflé. Yes, I was kind of pissed and disappointed that I had had the forethought to order this soufflé, had waited 20 minutes, and now someone else is eating half of it.

Anyway, my friend ended up ordering a soufflé and I ended up eating half of her soufflé. Yes, we waited another 20 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 43October 16, 2022 4:53 AM

Can we please cut it out with the “white people” remarks? Geez. My partner and I are white. We make deals while ordering that if he orders something I won’t eat (like red meat), he will only try a minimal amount of my meal (which I, yes, put on his plate before I start eating). If we both order dishes that we both like, we give each other fairly generous portions of our dishes. I thought everyone did this kind of thing. This woman flipping out sounds unhinged. Why not just give him some of her dish? Or did he reach over, attack her plate, and act like a complete glutton, leaving her hungry. We could use some video to judge.

by Anonymousreply 44October 16, 2022 5:02 AM

R37 seems like the type of person who orders water and a side salad, rudely digs his fork into other people’s food, pigs out, and then pulls the “but I only ordered a salad” card when the check comes.

I’m guessing you don’t get a lot of invitations for dining out.

by Anonymousreply 45October 16, 2022 5:10 AM

I know someone exactly like this. She's a really bratty only child. Case closed!

by Anonymousreply 46October 16, 2022 5:32 AM

I bet she doesn't mind him licking her pussy, and yet she bitches about some food?!!! Cunt

by Anonymousreply 47October 16, 2022 5:40 AM

Five thousand threads on Datalounge about how tacky, classless and unsanitary it is for people to eat off of others' plates, with a few dozen examples of a "frau co-worker picking at my plate at a work lunch" in every thread, and yet this thread is nothing but people saying it's totally normal and everyone does it. This place, I swear.

by Anonymousreply 48October 16, 2022 5:41 AM

I bet she doesn't mind him licking her pussy, and yet she bitches about some food?!!! Cunt

by Anonymousreply 49October 16, 2022 5:41 AM

by Anonymousreply 50October 16, 2022 5:41 AM

There’s a lot of posts by defensive gluttons who feel entitled to other people’s food in here

by Anonymousreply 51October 16, 2022 5:42 AM

I haven't eaten at a Chinese restaurant that serves a large family-size platter of food that everyone shares since probably the late 1990s. The local places in town offer single entrees. I don't know about chain restaurants, maybe they still do that big platter thing.

by Anonymousreply 52October 16, 2022 5:44 AM

You must live in Podunk Fuck in the Middle of Nowhere. They offer individual entrees for white people since that’s all they’re used to. Pick fried rice or chow mein, a protein, and two sides, LOL. All individualized.

by Anonymousreply 53October 16, 2022 5:55 AM

You spent your entire Saturday night on Datalounge trying to bait people with "you're a stupid white person" crap, r53.

The last thing I ate was 南洋干炒河粉 from a locally owned restaurant. It did not come on a platter to be shared.

by Anonymousreply 54October 16, 2022 6:03 AM

R39, are you illiterate as well as misandrist? The wife made the post to the Am I The Asshole subreddit for validation. Same to the people who WW’d you.

by Anonymousreply 55October 16, 2022 6:03 AM

This is one fucked up marriage. My fucking FRIENDS don’t mind sharing a bite of different entrees to try when we go out to eat. And WTF are the posters concerned about virus or bacteria from sharing food? Does this couple also not kiss?

by Anonymousreply 56October 16, 2022 6:07 AM

[quote]Why are white people so uptight about sharing food?

Stop being such a racist bigot.

by Anonymousreply 57October 16, 2022 6:12 AM

If she doesn't want to share her food, and if she told him unequivocally that she would not share her food, and he agreed, and then tried to get her to share her food even after all that, he's the asshole.

We all have things we don't like and, in this case, it's a small request: don't ask me to share my food, because I would rather not.

Just learn to fucking respect a small, simple request, and also consider calming down a bit so you're not shrieking BUT HE LICKS HER PUSSY DURRRRR HE SHOULD DIVORCE HER FOR THIS because you disagree over something so minor.

by Anonymousreply 58October 16, 2022 6:12 AM

EAT!

by Anonymousreply 59October 16, 2022 6:20 AM

Sounds like he wanted to be pegged. She refused and now his hole is hungry.

Mystery solved.

by Anonymousreply 60October 16, 2022 6:25 AM

R56, I’m guessing that it’s not a bite or two every once in a while. I’m also guessing that she’s told him many times that she doesn’t like when people eat off her plate. People are allowed to have boundaries. It doesn’t sound like he has any nor does he have any respect for hers. She has a right to stop being polite about it because he’s not being polite in not responding her very reasonable boundaries.

I’m sure it’s grating as shit for her to eat every meal with someone hovering over her with a fork licking their chops. I’m sure he was also poorly parented by trashy people who raised entitled adults with terrible social graces or a total lack of respect for other people’s space.

by Anonymousreply 61October 16, 2022 6:29 AM

[quote]I haven't eaten at a Chinese restaurant that serves a large family-size platter of food that everyone shares

It’s not about the size of the platter. Chinese restaurants usually don’t have giant platters of food like Buca di Beppo. All Chinese food is meant to be shared regardless of the size of the platter, just like tapas are meant to be shared even though their plates are tiny.

by Anonymousreply 62October 16, 2022 7:04 AM

[quote]People are allowed to have boundaries. It doesn’t sound like he has any nor does he have any respect for hers.

This is his wife, for fuck’s sake, not some stranger or co-worker.

by Anonymousreply 63October 16, 2022 7:05 AM

Eating food off someone else’s plate screams low-class. Being unable to make a decision about what you want to order screams low-intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 64October 16, 2022 7:28 AM

My first thought is how did this not come up while they were dating?

They are headed for divorce.

by Anonymousreply 65October 16, 2022 7:39 AM

It’s not the kind of thing to get divorced over, R65, but it’s the type of thing that can get really annoying after a few years.

by Anonymousreply 66October 16, 2022 8:06 AM

It sounds like their dynamic is really messed up. A married couple each paying for their own meal is the biggest sign to me more than the food. I wonder if the husband does this power play in other aspects, or if the wife has boundaries about every last thing in life. Probably both. Miserable set up.

After decades together we usually decide two dishes we’d both like to eat when ordering so we can share. We often just eat half each then swap plates midway through the meal. Neither of us are picky eaters, so it’s always worked out well.

by Anonymousreply 67October 16, 2022 8:30 AM

I really doubt they each pay for their own meals. They probably have a combined budget like most couples. My guess is she invented that part of the "story" to even the playing field. That way she wouldn't have to fend off all the, "who is the bread winner in the family?" comments. A lot of Reddit incels would say the boorish husband is entitled to treat her any way he wants simply because he contributes more financially.

by Anonymousreply 68October 16, 2022 8:49 AM

Don't POC have any dietary restrictions or preferences, R37? How do you assume everyone wants, or can even eat, everything on the menu. In my family we have vegetarians, vegans, lactose intolerance, low carbers, people who hate anything spicy, people who don't eat red meat or shell fish.......on and on. To just assume that everyone is willing share is stunningly tone deaf in 2022.

by Anonymousreply 69October 16, 2022 8:58 AM

The partner has to ask first -- before the fork is poised in the air -- and no hard feelings if the answer is no. Don't keep asking if it's clear the answer will always be no.

Anyone who just snatches a bit of food off your plate without asking deserves to be dumped then and there. Always keep a divorce lawyer on speed dial.

by Anonymousreply 70October 16, 2022 9:38 AM

How did these two opposites even get together in the first place? The divide can not be bridged between these two extremes in personality.

by Anonymousreply 71October 16, 2022 9:41 AM

r10 gets it

by Anonymousreply 72October 16, 2022 9:44 AM

[quote]The partner has to ask first -- before the fork is poised in the air -- and no hard feelings if the answer is no.

Why would the answer be no if they’re married?

by Anonymousreply 73October 16, 2022 9:56 AM

The real question is, "Why wouldn't a spouse respect their partner's answer?" r73

by Anonymousreply 74October 16, 2022 10:00 AM

Why would the spouse have to ask in the first place??

by Anonymousreply 75October 16, 2022 10:08 AM

It's about who pays for the meal?! That's ridiculous. Generosity is a virtue. But really, it depends. You don't just stick your fork into another person's food at a high class restaurant, just like you don't eat a steak with you hands. It's just not what you do. If it's at a pub or fast food place: no one cares.

by Anonymousreply 76October 16, 2022 10:17 AM

I'm going to assume r75 is trolling at this point.

But on principle: marriage does not entail the complete sacrifice of one's autonomy. This especially applies to the arena of sex, which the common law was very late to recognize -- marital rape was not a crime in some states as late as the 1980s, because a man enjoyed unfettered access to his wife's body for purposes of sex. And why would he even need to ask for sex? The answer is always -- by default -- "Yes."

Of course, that's much more serious than taking food from a plate, but the general principle applies: your spouse doesn't "owe" you anything that would compromise your right to autonomy.

by Anonymousreply 77October 16, 2022 10:21 AM

Team Wifey here - sampling food off of someone else's plate is a privilege, not a right!!@ And this was true even before the fucking pandemic!

It never hurts to ask, but the husband should have accepted the first "no". To keep asking and insisting and throwing a fit was assholery.

by Anonymousreply 78October 16, 2022 1:21 PM

Trying to imagine a group of lesbians trying to order Chinese food everyone could share, accommodating allergies, gluten free, no MSG, vegan, etc., and then splitting the bill and leftovers.

by Anonymousreply 79October 16, 2022 1:53 PM

I don't get the "eating off someone else's plate" from a logistics standpoint.

Yes, My husband, brother, sister-in-law, parents, in-laws and I have that kind of relationship where if something is really good they'll offer to let someone sample and vice versa.

And yes, sometimes with my brother or husband I will grab a french fry off their plate.

But anything more complicated, you usually cut a small portion and put it on the bread plate or they slide their plate over to you and you slide it on to their plate and they take it back.

It would be awkward (physically) to try and get someone from someone else's plate.

All that said, the woman on Reddit is in what I believe is known as a "toxic relationship" in that they hate each other to the point that they each pay for things on their own and don't combine finances even for minor things like that.

by Anonymousreply 80October 16, 2022 2:02 PM

How is she a Karen? DL thinks every woman is a Karen now? Husband sounds like a 13 year old, not a grown up.

by Anonymousreply 81October 16, 2022 2:05 PM

My friend, when the waiter inquires: “Oh, no dessert for me.”

My friend, when my dessert arrives: “That looks good enough to share! Could you bring another fork?”

by Anonymousreply 82October 16, 2022 2:06 PM

Are you retarded R75/R73? You think a husband is "entitled" to take whatever he wants from his wife? No questions asked? What if the wife was starving and the pig husband slurped up her entire meal? "Oh well, he's her husband, so it's okay".

by Anonymousreply 83October 16, 2022 8:13 PM

r67, indeed. They are probably both fucked up and this is a terrible relationship.

by Anonymousreply 84October 16, 2022 9:05 PM

I know a straight married couple who pay for everything separately and split household expenses. It’s weird to me but works for them. I think they both got burned financially from previous marriages.

by Anonymousreply 85October 16, 2022 9:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!