Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘Tourist Trap’ (1979)- why didn’t you bitches tell me about this horror GEM?

I admit, I liked the first half a lot more than the second half, but I still enjoyed it overall. It’s actually very creepy and an older movie that really holds your attention throughout (some of them move very slow, not this one). My biggest issue with this film is how fucking stupid the women are in it, especially the Tanya Roberts character. She pissed me off more than once while watching. She was a smokeshow, however. Very very hot.

My first thought at the ending is, “how does someone escape this situation and explain it to anyone without ending up in a crazy home?” Seriously.

Fun movie and creepy but then a bit silly toward the end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 18, 2023 4:30 AM

YouTube has the entire film

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2022 6:30 PM

The 70s and 80s had the best horror films.

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2022 8:19 PM

Stephen King at one point stated that this was his favorite horror movie.

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2022 8:31 PM

I love this film, and didn't see the women as stupid. Naive, perhaps. The scenario the characters find themselves in is so singular in its overall bizarrity that I can't imagine responding to it rationally.'

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2022 8:32 PM

It's one of those WTF? movies, but it has it's good moments. Extra points for the creepy atmosphere and DL fave Tanya Roberts! Creepy tourist traps did exist all over Texas, the south, and southwest like this--maybe it doesn't translate as well to modern audiences because those types of places are all gone.

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2022 8:34 PM

Looks utterly lame even for 1979

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2022 8:45 PM

It’s not lame. Modern horror is lame.

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2022 8:52 PM

R7 whatever shit is shit

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2022 8:53 PM

R6, it looks tacky, but tourist traps are tacky. It's actually quite effective. It builds nicely and the effects, which involve dolls, mannequins, puppets and antique automata, are incredibly uncanny in the Freudian sense of the term.

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2022 8:55 PM

R4 Becky (Tanya Roberts) was an idiot man. I’m sorry. But she escapes the house, runs like 10 feet then falls to the ground gasping for air, only for the creepy guy (they didn’t even trust) to find her again and pretty much recapture her (only she doesn’t know he’s the bad guy even though it should have been obvious). While being shot at and having axes thrown at her she runs to the corner? Why? She’s a fucking moron.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2022 9:00 PM

The great Chuck Connors as the villain. A far cry from The Rifleman.

by Anonymousreply 11February 5, 2023 2:21 AM

Paramount put a ton of money toward slashers after the surprise success of Friday the 13th. Tourist Trap famously spent half its budget securing Pino Donaggio, the favorite composer of Brian De Palma’s, hence the fabulous, quality Dressed to Kill-like score. The opening flying garden instrument scene also borrowed heavily from the Carrie and Margaret White endgame scene. There were some genuinely creepy moments (such as the girl they find on the table in the basement) and Tanya Roberts running around in a tube top is still a hoot, but it never quite gets there.

by Anonymousreply 12February 5, 2023 3:09 AM

I love this movie, especially the creepy last freeze frame of Jocelyn Jones driving away with her mannequinized friends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 5, 2023 2:14 PM

Thanks for posting this on that thread. That poster has commented on here. He intentionally made another thread instead of just commenting here again.

by Anonymousreply 14March 18, 2023 3:47 AM

There's a Rifftrax version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 18, 2023 4:04 AM

I love this thread!

by Anonymousreply 16March 18, 2023 4:15 AM

Director’s commentary.

It should’ve been an R-rated film. It missed its drive-in trash potential.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 18, 2023 4:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!