Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mmm..black-eyed peas and corn bread for Sunday dinner

I am trying to cut back on meat and I do love my black eyed peas. I usually only eat on New Year's Day.

by Anonymousreply 92November 21, 2022 3:31 AM

black eyed peas are a favorite

by Anonymousreply 1October 9, 2022 5:23 PM

OP is whiter than white and probably lives in some lily white suburb in the bluest, blue of states.

by Anonymousreply 2October 9, 2022 5:26 PM

Havenโ€™t had them in a while OP. Maybe Iโ€™ll make some next weekend. I always soak mine overnight. I hate canned or even frozenโ€ฆ

by Anonymousreply 3October 9, 2022 5:36 PM

Sound like heart attack food waiting to happen. Who in their right mind would eat that crap. That's stuff you feed to pigs to get them fat.

by Anonymousreply 4October 9, 2022 5:38 PM

Do you put smoked meat in yours, OP?

by Anonymousreply 5October 9, 2022 5:43 PM

No, R4. It's a dish brought over from Africa by slaves. You've obviously never had a dish of them. They are exquisite if seasoned right.

Now, piss off.

by Anonymousreply 6October 9, 2022 5:49 PM

I use salt pork sometimes. Other times I use smoked sausage. Lots of garlic and a diced jalapeno.

by Anonymousreply 7October 9, 2022 5:50 PM

Black Eyed Peas Matter!

by Anonymousreply 8October 9, 2022 5:51 PM

That's sweet that they're bringing the cornbread, but I would suggest you don't permit Fergie to sind TSSB!

by Anonymousreply 9October 9, 2022 5:53 PM

You only eat on New Year's Day? What do you eat the rest of the time.

BTW, black eyed peas are pretty damn healthy so why not eat them more than just NYD?

by Anonymousreply 10October 9, 2022 5:59 PM

Black eyed peas are very nutritious and not a "heart attack food". Trolls should really try and do some research until spouting off. The biggest problem is too much salt but that's up to the chef.

by Anonymousreply 11October 9, 2022 5:59 PM

R10 that's the idea. I'm trying to be healthier and eat less meat in general.

by Anonymousreply 12October 9, 2022 6:00 PM

๐Ÿคฎ Poor people food

by Anonymousreply 13October 9, 2022 6:03 PM

R10

Some African American families eat black-eyed peas on New Year's Day as a good luck ritual. I think it's more of a Southern tradition, though.

by Anonymousreply 14October 9, 2022 6:03 PM

I prefer Hoppin John.

by Anonymousreply 15October 9, 2022 6:06 PM

[quote]R3: I hate canned or even frozenโ€ฆ

Why do you hate frozen? It's as close as one can get to fresh without going to a farmers' market.

I like to use Pictsweet Farms Field Peas with snaps.

I cook 'em with three cups of water, a tablespoon of bacon grease, a teaspoon of black pepper, a half cup of Hormel Real Crumbled Bacon, a small white onion, sliced, and a diced jalapeรฑo. Package directions require simmering at medium low heat, covered, for 45 minutes (watch water level; if it drops too low, add some), stirring occasionally. Around the 30 minute mark, I add some chicken broth concentrate to season it.

I like having these with chicken fried steak or chicken tenders, mashed potatoes, and cream graxy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 9, 2022 6:08 PM

Black-eyed peas, pink-eyed peas, crowder peas, butterpeas, lady peas -- they're all wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 17October 9, 2022 6:12 PM

Mmmm, yes, R16. They are great as a side dish with chicken fried steak.

by Anonymousreply 18October 9, 2022 6:12 PM

Iโ€™m eating pigs feet and peach cobbler Yall!

by Anonymousreply 19October 9, 2022 6:16 PM

canned peas are fine too. just don't buy seasoned ones if you are a veggie.

by Anonymousreply 20October 9, 2022 6:16 PM

What cornbread recipe are you using, OP?

by Anonymousreply 21October 9, 2022 6:24 PM

Oh, I have one that uses cornmeal and flour but no sugar. I don't like sweet cornbread. The key is during oven pre-heat to put your pan in and let it get hot. Cast iron is best but any will do. Grease pan with bacon fat so that when batter is poured in you get a satisfactory sizzle which forms a nice crust.

by Anonymousreply 22October 9, 2022 6:27 PM

Forgot to add mine calls for buttermilk too R21.

by Anonymousreply 23October 9, 2022 6:31 PM

jesus, self rising cb, a touch of flour, and hot oil. pan or oven.

not that hard.

by Anonymousreply 24October 9, 2022 6:37 PM

R22/R23, Hmm, I've never done the cast iron thing because I don't own one. (thinking about looking for a cast iron pan)

Buttermilk, huh? I use a cup of sour cream, and a 14.25 oz can of creamed corn.

I use a little bit of sugar - a quarter of a cup, but it doesn't express as far as the flavor of the cornbread; it remains savory. (But we're talking a fairly sizeable batch of cornbread - 2 ยฝ cups of flour, 1 ยพ cups cornmeal, five eggs).

by Anonymousreply 25October 9, 2022 6:39 PM

I don't like cornbread unless it's sweet, it adds nice contrast when paired with a savory food. Otherwise it's just too bland and not worth the carbs IMO.

by Anonymousreply 26October 9, 2022 6:42 PM

Try some fresh jalapeno or canned green chiles for a more Tex-Mex version of cornbread. Great with chili.

by Anonymousreply 27October 9, 2022 6:42 PM

continue with your catholic studies...

by Anonymousreply 28October 9, 2022 6:43 PM

Well then, Jiffy Cornkits are made to order for you, R26; they're so sweet, it's practically cake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 9, 2022 6:46 PM

[quote]R28: continue with your catholic studies...

๐ป๐‘ขโ„Ž?

by Anonymousreply 30October 9, 2022 6:47 PM

duh?

by Anonymousreply 31October 9, 2022 6:50 PM

[quote]R15: I prefer Hoppin John.

Damn, that sounds good!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 9, 2022 6:53 PM

I use a bit of plain yogurt and a bit of sugar โ€ฆbuttermilk is sometimes hard to find. Ditto on preheating the pan with bacon drippings. I have a special stainless steel baking pan I use because cast iron is too heavy for my arthritic wrists. Whatโ€™s great about black eyed peas, is the dried ones really donโ€™t take that long to cook.

by Anonymousreply 33October 9, 2022 6:54 PM

PD if you enjoy black eyed peas try some Texas Caviar. It always shows up at parties down here.

R33 you can make buttermilk with milk and vinegar. Just fyi and, yes, cast iron is very heavy. Almost too much for me. In a few years I'll be in the same boat.

by Anonymousreply 34October 9, 2022 6:56 PM

How long, R33? Plus, isn't there the time you spend soaking them? Or do you soak them at all?

by Anonymousreply 35October 9, 2022 6:57 PM

I love making corn bread, but I have never had black-eyed peas. Is this a dish worth making?

by Anonymousreply 36October 9, 2022 6:58 PM

Yes, R36. The danger of them is being too bland so don't be afraid of spices. Lots of onion, garlic, creole seasoning and bay leaf are a must.

by Anonymousreply 37October 9, 2022 7:02 PM

R36, IMO, yes, definitely.

How does it happen you've never had any?

by Anonymousreply 38October 9, 2022 7:03 PM

R35 โ€ฆI usually soak them about an hour, then drain( god forbid) , add some water, salt, garlic bring to a boil and then cook gently about 30 to 40 minutes, keeping an eye to spoon off the foam and scuzz.

by Anonymousreply 39October 9, 2022 7:08 PM

I'm an all night pre-soaker then in the morning I rinse and cook slow all day. I use chicken broth for cooing instead of water for more flavor.

by Anonymousreply 40October 9, 2022 7:10 PM

Here's a couple of recipes I make for New Year's Day:

๐๐ž๐ฐ ๐˜๐ž๐š๐ซ'๐ฌ ๐‰๐š๐ฅ๐š๐ฉ๐ž๐งฬƒ๐จ ๐’๐š๐ฎ๐ฌ๐š๐ ๐ž ๐‚๐จ๐ซ๐ง๐›๐ซ๐ž๐š๐

๐ท๐‘Ÿ๐‘ฆ ๐ผ๐‘›๐‘”๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘‘๐‘–๐‘’๐‘›๐‘ก๐‘ :

2ยผ cups all purpose flour

1ยพ cups yellow cornmeal

1 tsp salt

ยผ cup granulated sugar

1 tsp baking soda

2 heaping Tbs baking powder

ยฝ cup grated Parmesan Cheese

ยฝ tsp red pepper flakes

๐‘Š๐‘’๐‘ก ๐ผ๐‘›๐‘”๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘‘๐‘–๐‘’๐‘›๐‘ก๐‘ :

5 eggs

1 cup sour cream

1 can Creamed Corn, 14.25 oz.

1 to 2 cups milk (this can vary; used to diminish batter thickness)

1 cup melted butter/margarine and/or bacon grease

24 oz. Colby Cheddar Cheese cubes

16 oz. pkg. Owens Sausage, preferably hot

ยฝ cup diced white onion

ยฝ cup diced jalapeรฑos, seeded

ยฝ cup each red and green bell peppers, diced

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Crumble Owen's Sausage into small pieces in a non-stick fry pan, and brown. Midway through, add ยฝ cups of diced white onions and jalapeรฑos. When sausage crumbles have become brown and crispy, pour them into a 16x9 baking pan which has been sprayed with cooking spray. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, combine 5 eggs, cup of sour cream, and can of Creamed Corn. Whisk together until combined; add milk and whisk some more. Add dry ingredients, stirring in gently until combined. Add melted butter/bacon grease. If batter is too thick to fully integrate the dry ingredients, then add a little more milk until it's the consistency of a thick brownie batter. Pour about a third of the resulting batter into the 16x9 baking dish and, using a flat-edged spatula, combine it with the fried sausage crumbles, spreading the mixture evenly across the bottom of the pan.

Sprinkle the surface of the baking pan mixture with cubed Colby Cheddar, spaced more or less evenly; gently press the cubes into the batter and sausage. Returning to the mixing bowl still containing the remaining โ…” of the cornbread batter, add the diced red and green bell pepper, and stir through. Carefully pour the cornbread batter into the baking dish, being certain to completely cover the cheese cubes, including into the edges and corners of the pan.

Place the baking pan into a 400 degree preheated oven for approximately 50 minutes to 1 hour. Once browned, insert a knife into the center of the cornbread to see if it's done. Judging between unbaked batter or melted cheese on the blade can be tricky, but once you've made a prudent assessment that it's done, remove it from the oven and carefully cover it with aluminum foil, in order to keep it from losing too much moisture. Don't burn yourself! After the covered pan has sat out for at least half an hour, uncover it and run a knife along the edges to separate the cornbread from the sides of the pan. Cut the cornbread into 12 square pieces (two lengthwise cuts; three width cuts), and carefully remove pieces from the pan with a pie server. It's intended to be served with Black-eyed Pea Soup ladled over it, but can stand alone if you wish. Enjoy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 9, 2022 7:14 PM

๐๐ž๐ฐ ๐˜๐ž๐š๐ซ'๐ฌ ๐๐ฅ๐š๐œ๐ค-๐„๐ฒ๐ž๐ ๐๐ž๐š ๐’๐จ๐ฎ๐ฉ

Ingredients:

1 28oz. pkg. frozen Black-Eyed Peas with Snaps

2 28oz. cans Diced Tomatoes

1 12oz can Tomato Paste

1 small white onion, coarsely sliced

2 diced jalapeรฑos, seeded (optional)

ยฝ cup bacon bits (I use a shortcut, packaged Hormel Real Bacon Bits)

1 Tbs bacon grease

ยฝ tsp black pepper

1 tsp Chicken Broth Concentrate (either Tones, or Knorr powdered)

ยฝ cup chopped Cilantro

water as necessary

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In a large saucepan, preferably non-stick, combine bacon grease, onions, bacon bits, and the optional jalapeรฑos, and sautรฉ with a little bit of water. When the bacon is crisp and the onions translucent, add frozen Black-Eyed Peas, together with enough water to cover. Add black pepper, and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 45 to 50 minutes, stirring occasionally, and adding water as necessary to prevent peas from becoming too dry to cook. After the time has passed, taste-test a couple of peas for softness. If it's crunchy, or still too starchy, cook it longer. Once they're ideal, add the chicken broth concentrate, the two cans of diced tomatoes, and the can of tomato paste. Stir gently to dissolve the tomato paste in the broth, adding a cup or two of water to make a soup-like consistency. Cover and gently simmer for perhaps another ten minutes. Add chopped Cilantro and stir through. Turn off heat, cover, and allow to set for perhaps fifteen minutes. Spoon or ladle over Jalapeรฑo Sausage Cornbread, or serve separately in bowls. Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 42October 9, 2022 7:18 PM

R39/R40, not to knock your tried-and-true method, but frozen is faster. ;)

by Anonymousreply 43October 9, 2022 7:21 PM

So you're having beans and "bread" for dinner.

This is why there are so many fat whores these days.

by Anonymousreply 44October 9, 2022 7:27 PM

No R44. Not allergic to greens at all but you can't live on those alone.

by Anonymousreply 45October 9, 2022 7:29 PM

[quote]R44: So you're having beans and "bread" for dinner. This is why there are so many fat whores these days.โ€”99% of DLers are allergic to dark green leafy vegetables.

Well, a New Year's Day dinner need not be limited to ๐‰๐š๐ฅ๐š๐ฉ๐ž๐งฬƒ๐จ ๐’๐š๐ฎ๐ฌ๐š๐ ๐ž ๐‚๐จ๐ซ๐ง๐›๐ซ๐ž๐š๐ and ๐๐ฅ๐š๐œ๐ค-๐„๐ฒ๐ž๐ ๐๐ž๐š ๐’๐จ๐ฎ๐ฉ. I also like to serve mixed greens (starting from frozen, of course) - spinach, turnip, collards, and kale, cooked with the same bacon and onion shortcut, with bacon grease, minced garlic, black pepper, and a splash of white vinegar.

by Anonymousreply 46October 9, 2022 7:35 PM

I'm simple. I just use two Jiffy boxes, shreaded cheddar, and finely copped jarred jalapenos with a heaping tbsp of sour cream. It's good.

by Anonymousreply 47October 9, 2022 7:47 PM

use local meal (and flour) if you can find it.

so much better.

and you can throw some greens in the pea pot.

by Anonymousreply 48October 9, 2022 7:52 PM

[quote]R37: The danger of them is being too bland so don't be afraid of spices. Lots of onion, garlic, creole seasoning and bay leaf are a must.

I'm intrigued by your suggestion of creole seasoning. Do you have a brand preference?

by Anonymousreply 49October 9, 2022 7:52 PM

I use Tony Cachere's Creole Seasoning R49 but Slap Yo Mamma is good too.

by Anonymousreply 50October 9, 2022 7:55 PM

Since we are on cooking. I just saw this online and it's next in line for my next bbq.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 9, 2022 8:00 PM

Do dried beans spoil?

by Anonymousreply 52October 9, 2022 11:25 PM

^Eventually, but they are fine for a couple years if stored properly. I cycle through mine every 8 months or so.

For those who are too impatient to soak overnight, you can quick soak by putting dried beans in simmering water, covered, for 5 minutes, then turning off the heat and letting stand for an hour.

Drain water and cook as preferred.

I love blackeye peas. I make a nice hummus-like soread from them.

by Anonymousreply 53October 9, 2022 11:34 PM

Where I grew up, we have navy bean soup with cornbread or biscuits. Diced raw onion, and tomato ketchup are popular toppings. I personally opt for just the onion.

I'll have to make a pot of black-eyed peas soon. I just made vegetarian corn chowder yesterday, so I'll be enjoying that in the next few days.

by Anonymousreply 54October 9, 2022 11:55 PM

They make the best curries, great with Indian spices

by Anonymousreply 55October 10, 2022 1:53 AM

[quote]R50: but Slap Yo Mamma is good too.

I bought a can of Slap Ya Mama, and was shocked at how salty it is - perhaps too much so to be useful.

by Anonymousreply 56November 8, 2022 10:27 AM

I recently started subscribing to this channel, Cooking With Tammy. She tends to use dried spices opposed to natural ones, but her dishes look pretty good, except for her sausage and cabbage dish. Mine came out too soft.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 8, 2022 12:42 PM

I use Tony Cacheres PD. Not sure how it compares in saltiness.

by Anonymousreply 58November 8, 2022 1:35 PM

So OP is eating like a fat poor Mississippi fat girl.

And those poor girls stay fat even without the meat, Fatty.

by Anonymousreply 59November 8, 2022 1:37 PM

I canโ€™t find black eyed peas in the grocery stores latelyโ€ฆWhere are you folks getting yours?

by Anonymousreply 60November 8, 2022 4:46 PM

I go to Safeway r60. They have dried, canned and frozen.

by Anonymousreply 61November 8, 2022 6:10 PM

Weird R60. I always use dried. Sometimes fresh are in a tiny refrigerator in produce.

by Anonymousreply 62November 8, 2022 7:16 PM

[quote]R60: โ€”Northern CA but 50 miles away from Indian Grocery

Why would an Indian Grocery be relevant? Black-eyed peas are not ethnic cuisine; regular grocery stores should carry them.

Towards holidays, especially New Years Eve, there's often a run on black-eyed peas, as well as other similar items. I have difficulty getting frozen white pearl onions. The key is to stock up a bit when you find it available.

by Anonymousreply 63November 8, 2022 7:41 PM

Becuz Indian Groceries in SF Bay Area used to sell blacked eye peas, dried. Neither SaveMart or Safeway has dried blacked eyed peas where I live. Believe it or Not! I did stock up on black eyed peas, from Walmart, but they no longer sell themโ€ฆ

by Anonymousreply 64November 14, 2022 3:15 AM

[quote]OP is whiter than white

[quote]I use salt pork

OP is definitely Black. As hell.

by Anonymousreply 65November 14, 2022 3:22 AM

[quote]I bought a can of Slap Ya Mama, was shocked at how salty it is

That's what seasoning tastes like. And it's perfect for red beans and rice if you know what you're doing. Although, I'm partial to Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning for that and gumbo.

by Anonymousreply 66November 14, 2022 3:27 AM

R64, where in the Bay Area are you? Iโ€™m in the Bay Area too, Iโ€™ll hook you up. I know where the peas areโ€ฆ

by Anonymousreply 67November 14, 2022 6:17 AM

R66 is Black Millennial...

and still bitter.

by Anonymousreply 68November 16, 2022 3:29 AM

Any chow-chow fans here?

by Anonymousreply 69November 17, 2022 1:21 PM

I am, R69. I like Dixieland Hot Chow-Chow.

I typically use it on hot dogs as relish, but also on plates of pinto beans, fried potatoes, and cornbread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70November 17, 2022 8:27 PM

Can you put it on greens, r70?

by Anonymousreply 71November 17, 2022 11:00 PM

Get some, R69/R71, and try it out.

by Anonymousreply 72November 17, 2022 11:42 PM

[quote][R66] is Black Millennial...

No. I'm not, r68. You fucking annoying-ass weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 73November 18, 2022 2:43 AM

Anyone can look at your posting history. You're one of the socks which was wasn't recently redlined, but the content is much the same.

by Anonymousreply 74November 18, 2022 12:44 PM

[quote]You're one of the socks

Getting real tired of your shit, PD.

You are irritating as all hell constantly doing this bullshit to posters. Seriously. It's actually, legit, starting to get on my nerves. Especially since you bring up this dumb mess in threads where it's not even called for.

For the billionth GODDAMN TIME, I am not Black Millennial. That is a Black gay man. I am a Black gay female and this is my only fucking account. Now, leave me the hell alone. This is venturing into fucking harassment territory, now, since you're clearly stalking me on here. Fuck off, you creep. I am not in the mood for nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 75November 18, 2022 2:54 PM

OP here and I'm White but any good Southern cook uses salt pork or a ham hock in their peas.

by Anonymousreply 76November 18, 2022 2:56 PM

Well. Shit.

r76 I use liquid smoke and smoked paprika because I'm vegan and it's healthier. You literally can't tell the difference. And I was raised on New Orleans cooking from my grandma. Give it a try. Your heart and blood pressure will thank you.

by Anonymousreply 77November 18, 2022 3:32 PM

Now I have to get some black eyed peasโ€ฆthe holiday season demands it. With braised oxtail.

by Anonymousreply 78November 19, 2022 2:48 AM

[quote]R75: Getting real tired of your shit, PD. You are irritating as all hell constantly doing this bullshit to posters. Seriously. It's actually, legit, starting to get on my nerves. Especially since you bring up this dumb mess in threads where it's not even called for.

I don't do this to ๐‘๐‘œ๐‘ ๐‘ก๐‘’๐‘Ÿ๐‘ ; I do this to ๐‘ก๐‘Ÿ๐‘œ๐‘™๐‘™๐‘ ๐‘œ๐‘๐‘˜๐‘ , the ones which bring themselves to my attention. I would never have noticed you if not for your smartassery at R66. You made me look to see who you were, and that's why you got called out.

[quote]Now, leave me the hell alone. This is venturing into fucking harassment territory, now, since you're clearly stalking me on here.

You replied to me, at R66, remember?

[quote]For the billionth GODDAMN TIME, I am not Black Millennial. That is a Black gay man. I am a Black gay female and this is my only fucking account.

If it wasn't you using another account, you wouldn't be able to say with any certainty ๐‘คโ„Ž๐‘œ 'Black Millennial' was. No matter which account you're using (and since they keep getting redlined over your trolling - [Troll 5993] and [Troll 6000] - you have fewer of them to use), you exhibit the same lack of restraint, retain all the same grudges, and say the same things. If you really didn't want me replying to you and calling attention to who you are, you wouldn't reply to me, but you simply cannot resist. I'll tell you the same thing I told your other sock: Put me on ignore. But since you're the same person, you won't do it.

by Anonymousreply 79November 19, 2022 12:14 PM

I tire of Americans who profess their "love" of black-eyed peas, turkey, etc., yet eat these favorite foods exactly one time a year.

If you love it that fucking much, splurge and have it twice a year, thrice even.

Stop pretending it's a wicked secret delight of yours, so dangerous and overwhelming that you allow it only one annually.

by Anonymousreply 80November 19, 2022 12:21 PM

I'm from the South and have eaten them on New Years Day but am not particularly fond. They have a very distinct taste, sorta like dirt.

I had relatives, particularly of my grandparents generation, who made chow chow. And head cheese too after slaughtering a big pig at the start of winter. I'm 66 and those memories are from my childhood but I am sure all that still goes on down South.

by Anonymousreply 81November 19, 2022 12:28 PM

[quote]R80: I tire of Americans who profess their "love" of black-eyed peas, turkey, etc., yet eat these favorite foods exactly one time a year.

How do you know how many times people eat black-eyed-peas? I make them at least once a month; we would have them even more often if my brother had anything to say about it. He loves them.

Turkey is another matter. I don't like it, and don't make it for Thanksgiving, much less any other time.

by Anonymousreply 82November 19, 2022 12:30 PM

Turkey is okay, but it gets boring quick. My mom would make turkey salad the day after Thanksgiving and my dad would take the carcass and make stock for soups and stews.

by Anonymousreply 83November 19, 2022 12:44 PM

[quote]How do you know how many times people eat black-eyed-peas?

How do I know, R82? From the OP, of course. (And the turkey thing from a Thanksgiving thread on this site.)

[quote]I am trying to cut back on meat and I do love my black eyed peas. I usually only eat on New Year's Day.

by Anonymousreply 84November 19, 2022 1:02 PM

so, one poster.

i eat them year round.

by Anonymousreply 85November 19, 2022 1:08 PM

[quote]R84: From the OP, of course.

Who, although he said he usually ate them once a year, was nonetheless having them for a Sunday dinner in October.

And what's with this "I tire of Americans" crap at R80? From what higher national perch do you opine, supposedly?

by Anonymousreply 86November 19, 2022 1:13 PM

Americans eat turkey all year. It's sliced on sandwiches instead of the whole bird.

by Anonymousreply 87November 19, 2022 7:05 PM

Turkey is now pretty common. Again it was once a year in my youth. I like turkey and eat it often.

by Anonymousreply 88November 19, 2022 7:22 PM

[quote]I tire of Americans who profess their "love" of black-eyed peas, turkey, etc., yet eat these favorite foods exactly one time a year.

r80 It's, honestly, very time-consuming to cook black-eyed peas or real beans in general. First, you have to sort them. Then you have to soak them overnight. Then you have to rinse them. And then finally, there is the cooking process. Ain't nobody got time for all of that. So, I'm not mad about the "once a year only" rule, even though I don't follow it. I damn sure understand it.

It's the same with collard greens. First, you have to cut them, then rinse them, then soak them in a sink full of salt water overnight, then comes the cooking. This is why I'm dreading Thanksgiving. I have both sides of my family wanting my collard greens and cornbread dressing because I fucked around and actually did a good job for the past few years with both. I honestly don't feel like all of this but am being hella guilt-tripped into cooking two very time-consuming dishes this year. I need to learn healthy boundaries. :(

by Anonymousreply 89November 19, 2022 9:17 PM

Jesus Christ most of you. Eat them or donโ€™t.

by Anonymousreply 90November 19, 2022 10:15 PM

It doesn't take that much time and effort to make black-eyed peas or collards. It took me an hour to make black-eyed peas this evening.

And if making them for your family is that much of a burden/imposition, the end product will reflect your bad attitude.

by Anonymousreply 91November 21, 2022 2:51 AM

OP, you must be really hungry.

by Anonymousreply 92November 21, 2022 3:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!