Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Frasier" is often not funny

I fall asleep every night with a sitcom playing. I rotate through Golden Girls, Everybody Loves Raymond, Seinfeld, Friends, and Frasier.

But the Frasier episodes .... so many are just dramedy. Hooperman.

by Anonymousreply 80October 14, 2022 3:17 PM

You need to replace Frasier with Hazel. Or better yet, Beulah!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 6, 2022 11:39 PM

Very brave hot take. What year is it?

by Anonymousreply 2October 6, 2022 11:41 PM

199fuckoff?

by Anonymousreply 3October 6, 2022 11:42 PM

You watch them while high, right?

by Anonymousreply 4October 6, 2022 11:46 PM

I have never made it through an entire episode of ELR

by Anonymousreply 5October 7, 2022 12:04 AM

You're often not funny, OP. Do better.

by Anonymousreply 6October 7, 2022 12:06 AM

Member when Frasier wasn't funny but won a ton of Emmys? I member…

by Anonymousreply 7October 7, 2022 12:42 AM

I love such quality shows as Everybody Loves Raymond. Ooohhh, that makes me giggle, Debra and the old lady. That's comedy! Tehe

by Anonymousreply 8October 7, 2022 12:42 AM

God I hate dramedy. Frasier too confusing. Yeesh! Shakespe-who? Just give me belly chuckles! "How you doin?" Tehehe. So good. Makes me laugh while I digest my Lean Cuisine.

by Anonymousreply 9October 7, 2022 12:46 AM

If you lick pompous arse it's the show for you.

by Anonymousreply 10October 7, 2022 12:47 AM

r10 so, being anal enough to douche is pompous?

by Anonymousreply 11October 7, 2022 12:52 AM

But, but, but... La Porte D'Argent!

by Anonymousreply 12October 7, 2022 12:54 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 7, 2022 1:10 AM

There was nothing about "Frasier" that was a dramedy, virtually nothing. OP types stupid.

by Anonymousreply 14October 7, 2022 4:38 AM

Roseanne is a great show to fall asleep to. I was so disappointed when it went from Prime to Peacock.

by Anonymousreply 15October 7, 2022 4:56 AM

Bulldog was funny.

by Anonymousreply 16October 7, 2022 5:00 AM

CUTE BUT STUPID! CUTE BUT STUPID!

by Anonymousreply 17October 7, 2022 5:05 AM

I do the same, OP. But my shows are Seinfeld, Friends and The Office. I currently need a few new shows to add to the rotation. Can't be too exiting or it will keep me awake. Any suggestions? I hate ELR, Frasier and I'm too young for the Golden Girls.

by Anonymousreply 18October 7, 2022 1:08 PM

Frasier is one of the very best sitcoms of all time. At its peak the writing was impeccable and the characters, cast and chemistry was just an absolute joy to watch. It went downhill from maybe season 7 onwards, although there are still a few great episodes in the final season or two. But those first five seasons in particular are just perfect and still make me laugh and smile after multiple rewatches.

by Anonymousreply 19October 7, 2022 1:11 PM

^ *were just

by Anonymousreply 20October 7, 2022 1:14 PM

I can't stand that horrid show. He was my least favorite character on Cheers and couldn't believe he got a spinoff.

by Anonymousreply 21October 7, 2022 4:35 PM

I guess there's a lot of "sitcom sleepers" here on the DL.

Mine are Will and Grace and Frasier. But Cozi just pulled Will and Grace from their damn lineup!

Oh well.

And Frasier a dramedy? Really?

by Anonymousreply 22October 7, 2022 6:29 PM

If you don't think Frasier is funny, I'm quite certain you're not understanding the writing. It's one of the best well-written shows of all time.

by Anonymousreply 23October 7, 2022 6:50 PM

It’s a dumb show. That father has had no contact with those sons of his. No way was Cop Dad married to Snob Woman and brought his kids up to be as insufferable as Niles and Fraser. I know they always liked to present their sitcom as “a French farce type show,” but it’s just dumb. Those 1990s coffee shops were in business about 3 months before being forced out by Starbucks.

And who’s ever met a woman IRL like anyone Fraser dated? They’re all “beautiful, intelligent women with impeccably good taste.”

Niles is gay, gay, gay.

He’s gay.

Daphne is a beard.

The whole thing is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 24October 7, 2022 7:07 PM

Try Friends.

by Anonymousreply 25October 7, 2022 7:10 PM

The way they portrayed me was outrageous. I've a mind to sue, but that would mean exerting myself. Alexa, remind me to call Niles and have him put his balls between my fingers as I tell him to call my lawyer. Now may I have my one grape for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 26October 7, 2022 7:13 PM

The restaurant episode was very funny. I actually watched it for Niles. At least the pre-married to Daphne episodes.

by Anonymousreply 27October 7, 2022 7:15 PM

[quote] That father has had no contact with those sons of his. No way was Cop Dad married to Snob Woman and brought his kids up to be as insufferable as Niles and Fraser.

R24, Snob Woman wasn’t necessarily a snob. She married a cop whose taste don’t seem to have matcheD her’s much. And she tolerated/loved sons who were completely preposterous. She was just the bridge which connected the father to his sons, and when she died, they drifted apart in her absence until fate (a bullet to Martin’s hip) brought them back together. Many families fall apart when a crucial member dies.

[quote] And who’s ever met a woman IRL like anyone Fraser dated? They’re all “beautiful, intelligent women with impeccably good taste.”

I ask with love, but have you ever watched it? Frasier falls in love with a variety of women who are different types of train wreck: and he ends up chasing after Laura Linney who has a failing business that she lies about fairly constantly.

by Anonymousreply 28October 7, 2022 7:17 PM

I love the Feydeau farce episode at the ski lodge with the ski instructor, Guy. Everyone is after everyone sexually, with the exception of Frasier, though he doesn't know it for the longest time. Slamming doors, perfectly timed entrances and exits, just hilarious.

Also, the one where Niles is getting ready for a date and decides to iron, but cuts himself, sees blood faints -- which features bravura performances by Niles and Eddie, the dog.

by Anonymousreply 29October 7, 2022 7:19 PM

The "not funny" episodes of Frasier are the ones about

- Martin's hip / being shot

- Hester Crane

- Niles moping about Daphne

These episodes are the equivalent of Sophia's friend having Alzheimer's or Dorothy having chronic fatigue syndrome.

by Anonymousreply 30October 7, 2022 8:36 PM

How about the one where Frasier and Niles are trying to become members of an exclusive club but are somehow foiled?

by Anonymousreply 31October 8, 2022 12:24 AM

Does Jane Leeves still hold the record as being the most highly paid British actress of all time -- not for any one movie, but for her contract on "Frasier" (and I guess semi-regular on "Murphy Brown" adds up too), which was apparently much higher than even Dames Julie Andrews et al. ever made in total.

by Anonymousreply 32October 8, 2022 12:48 AM

I call it Frasiering myself to sleep. It's great to fall asleep to because if it ever bleeds into your dreams it's pleasant. Until he starts bleating about tossed salad and scrambled eggs. For for fuck's sake Hulu, nobody is clamoring for that.

by Anonymousreply 33October 8, 2022 1:01 AM

One of my favorite sitcoms. I'm rewatching now. The ski lodge and A valentine for Niles are along with the Bad Billy's episode stand out.

by Anonymousreply 34October 8, 2022 1:24 AM

The show is excellent. Only morons think it isn't.

by Anonymousreply 35October 8, 2022 1:37 PM

There is one where Frasier takes Cam Winston's invite to an exclusive spa and hilarity ensues due to the brothers pretentiousness and snobbery. Niles covered in orange citrus butter, wrapped up like a cocoon and trying to run from bees always has me in stitches.

by Anonymousreply 36October 8, 2022 3:14 PM

R33 the composer has many a time insisted that his theme song lyrics for the show were not innuendo; or rather, that they were, but not of a sexual nature (they refer instead to the 'scrambled' mental state of Frasier's patients and callers). Call me perverted, but I still have my doubts about this claim.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 8, 2022 3:26 PM

[quote]with the ski instructor, Guy.

It’s pronounced Guy.

by Anonymousreply 38October 8, 2022 4:28 PM

r21 Yes, we needed a show about Lilith.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 8, 2022 4:33 PM

I hate Frasier, but I also hate all of the shows mentioned at the OP.

by Anonymousreply 40October 8, 2022 5:34 PM

Love Frasier!

Restaurant episode one of the funniest ever!

by Anonymousreply 41October 8, 2022 6:39 PM

r41 - Roz flambé!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 8, 2022 6:43 PM

I go to sleep w Golden Girls, Roseanne or The Middle. Frasier never did anything for me.

by Anonymousreply 43October 8, 2022 6:47 PM

What I've often wondered is exactly what makes Frasier highbrow, clever and witty, if anything? Or do we only perceive it as being so, because the lead characters have highbrow tastes and manners? That's the question worth breaking down, more than "is it funny?" (impossible to answer, too subjective).

by Anonymousreply 44October 8, 2022 8:40 PM

Frazier doesn’t make sense. Someone like him would never in a million years hang out at Cheers night after night with the mailman and barmaids. That would be someone Frazier and Niles make fun of for being a lout. They would never be that person. Didn’t make sense for Lilith to hang out there either.

by Anonymousreply 45October 8, 2022 8:53 PM

It does if you're an alcoholic obsessed with a barmaid

by Anonymousreply 46October 8, 2022 9:06 PM

[quote]"Frasier" is often not funny

To you, OP...to *you*.

by Anonymousreply 47October 8, 2022 10:05 PM

Always hated this show.

by Anonymousreply 48October 8, 2022 10:13 PM

Some of the best writing in a sitcom plus the chemistry of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 49October 8, 2022 10:37 PM

If you enjoy those shows, OP, you might want to add Mom. So many laughs.

by Anonymousreply 50October 8, 2022 10:39 PM

Or better yet r50, 2 Broke Girls.

by Anonymousreply 51October 8, 2022 10:40 PM

[quote]If you enjoy those shows, OP, you might want to add Mom.

I’m sure his mom is right upstairs.

by Anonymousreply 52October 8, 2022 10:42 PM

I hate tossed salads and scrambled eggs closing credits

by Anonymousreply 53October 8, 2022 10:46 PM

r45

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 8, 2022 10:49 PM

r45 it's the same kind of foil, gradually frasier becomes closer to burn's replacement...

though, initially, Frasier seemed purely cast to be a competion for an aging blue collar Sam. . . and the bar may have been a sports bar at one time, the neighborhood had become gentrified... the majority clientele were not the regulars; they were late twenties to thirties yuppies.

if anything Frasier was the only primary character that truly fit in, save Diane and Rebecca.

still, we could look at Frasier being there as an early midlife crisis... as to connecting with the spinoff, that Frasier is ultimately more like his dad than he would ever dare admit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 8, 2022 10:59 PM

I always thought this show provided humor for simple minds. A girl I worked with during this time is all the proof I’ll ever need of that.

by Anonymousreply 56October 8, 2022 11:18 PM

With the show being so successful (I'm sure it's rated in the top ten or twenty of best sitcoms of all time), you cannot legitimately claim that it wasn't funny. You can claim that the humor wasn't for you. But when millions laugh and have fun with it, it's probably you, not the show.

by Anonymousreply 57October 8, 2022 11:56 PM

Giles r29. Pronounced "ghee". Remember the hilarity as they were trying to say it correctly?

by Anonymousreply 58October 9, 2022 12:55 AM

DIdn't think "Cheers" was all that great -- occasionally watched it when it was on. Some funny stuff, mostly the regulars doing their stuff with different barmaid switch with Shelley Long and Kirstie Alley. But "Frasier" was on a different level -- I think David Hyde Pierce especially, along with the other regulars, made it so much more. The sibling rivalry and the competition for a father's love, who hasn't much in common with either brother, and who are both, not specifically, saying very coded gay and highly cultured, sophisticated things, made it much more appealing and on a higher level than "Cheers" and most other comedies.

by Anonymousreply 59October 9, 2022 1:15 AM

Of the two tv Niles, from "Frasier" and "The Nanny", who is the top? Would they get it on? Who is fussier about condoms and not making a mess?

by Anonymousreply 60October 9, 2022 1:17 AM

Gil Chesterton is my spirit animal. Then there’s Bebe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 9, 2022 1:26 AM

Pretentious midwit stuff.

by Anonymousreply 62October 9, 2022 1:37 AM

Hate this show and its two pompous, boring, foppish leads. It pained me watching their crappy taste masquerading as refined.

by Anonymousreply 63October 9, 2022 1:39 AM

Kelsey Grammer once said in an interview that he thought Lilith and Frasier were basically one note.

by Anonymousreply 64October 9, 2022 1:39 AM

Raise your thought about his romantic life more than he did about his own son. The last show of the series he went to find himself. He he didn't even mention Freddy I don't think.

by Anonymousreply 65October 9, 2022 1:42 AM

R24

Seattle had many such coffeeshops in the '90s and still has many of those coffeeshops today.

by Anonymousreply 66October 9, 2022 1:51 AM

[quote] Kelsey Grammer once said in an interview that he thought Lilith and Frasier were basically one note.

Well, they were not. Even Lilith wasn't. I dare you link to that interview.

by Anonymousreply 67October 9, 2022 4:00 AM

[quote]Seattle had many such coffeeshops in the '90s and still has many of those coffeeshops today.

I don’t think so. There are no coffee houses that need a waitress to get a cappuccino. You just order at the counter. It’s not like a sit down restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 68October 9, 2022 8:10 AM

OP has scrambled egg all OVER his face, what is a troll to do?

by Anonymousreply 69October 9, 2022 8:54 AM

[quote]Gil Chesterton is my spirit animal.

I’ve never seen someone IN themselves!

by Anonymousreply 70October 9, 2022 12:13 PM

Freddy was a total afterthought and I hope the New show isn't him just whining about how self absorbed his parents were in some Cats in the Cradle redux

by Anonymousreply 71October 9, 2022 1:35 PM

The show handled Freddie well. Shows with cutesie kids are a bore. Freddie would visit than disappear and none of the episodes really centered around him.

by Anonymousreply 72October 9, 2022 3:50 PM

T65 Freddy was in Boston with Lilith and Frasier was only flying to Chicago to see Charlotte.

by Anonymousreply 73October 9, 2022 3:51 PM

I loved Simon, Daphne's wastrel brother. You can have your Freddy. Simon was a hoot. Daphne's Mom, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 74October 9, 2022 3:52 PM

Kelsey Grammer playing a pompous ass was funny--until you find out that Kelsey Grammer really is a pompous ass.

by Anonymousreply 75October 9, 2022 3:55 PM

Character wise it holds up after rewatching. I like to relax with old shows before bed and Frasier is a favorite. One that doesn't hold up is SATC. The characters on that show become more vile and annoying each time I watch it but that's a whole other thread.

by Anonymousreply 76October 9, 2022 4:01 PM

What ruins older shows for me is when I see a lot of ancient technology. The old laptops and phones on SATC are highly irritating and I'm constantly reminded that show is 20+ years old now. Thankfully there aren't that many laptops, phones or computer screens etc. on Friends, Frasier, Seinfeld.

by Anonymousreply 77October 9, 2022 4:54 PM

I like the fact that the Frasier show was always apolitical. Thus they were timeless.

by Anonymousreply 78October 10, 2022 4:32 PM

[quote]What ruins older shows for me is when I see a lot of ancient technology.

That's why I can't watch "The Flintstones"

by Anonymousreply 79October 10, 2022 5:47 PM

Remember Kirby the kid Frasier helped tutor so Lana would fix him up on a date. Well that dorky kid turned into quite a hunk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80October 14, 2022 3:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!