Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New York University fires professor because students complain organic chemistry is too hard

New York University fired Maitland Jones Jr. because his organic-chemistry course was “too hard.” The man wrote the textbook on the subject, now in its fifth edition, and had been a star teacher at Princeton. He went out of his way to tape his lectures, at his own cost, to mitigate some of the attendance problems attributed to the pandemic.

Yet students revolted because they feared, according to The New York Times, that “they were not given the grades that would allow them to get into medical school.”

The professor, meanwhile, saw a different problem: “They weren’t coming to class. . . . They weren’t watching the videos, and they weren’t able to answer the questions.” But the school terminated his employment rather than the students, who are on track to become physicians despite struggling to get into med school.

"Celebrated organic chemistry professor Maitland Jones Jr. had high standards, and we can't have that in 2022," writes the leftist author and teacher Freddie deBoer. "NYU students—who are, by any rational measure, some of the most privileged people on planet earth—organized a petition and got him fired. I hope you never get treated by one of the doctors who emerges from this mess."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 6, 2022 5:06 AM

OP,

[bold]WE KNOW.[/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 5, 2022 11:11 PM

OP = Poison dragon.

I have a 6th sense.

by Anonymousreply 2October 5, 2022 11:13 PM

I dropped the ball by searching "organic"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 6, 2022 12:04 AM

I took organic chemistry in college. It is supposed to be hard.

by Anonymousreply 4October 6, 2022 12:19 AM

I failed the first semester of O-Chem and had absolutely no idea what any of those molecules were for and why I needed to study it. It was so dry and esoteric. Got a C grade on the second try and I don't remember what grade I got the second semester but it seemed a bit easier. My grades had nothing to do with the professors and everything to do with how much I hated studying it. Biochem, by comparison, was a breeze.

by Anonymousreply 5October 6, 2022 5:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!