Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

San Francisco now has a fine-dining restaurant for dogs with $75 tasting menu

Dogue opened last week at 988 Valencia St. with pastries and “dogguccinos” served during the day and a $75, three-course tasting menu on Sundays.

Passersby could easily confuse this for San Francisco’s hottest new all-day cafe.

A glass case is filled with elegant pastries, like a rose-shaped cake filled with wild venison heart and a doggy petit gâteau modeled after the creations of acclaimed French pastry chef Cédric Grolet.

(Dogue’s version swaps butter and sugar for grass-fed cream and braised chicken.)

On Sundays, Dogue transitions into Bone Appetit Cafe, where chicken-mushroom soup is poured tableside — and then promptly licked up by the eager diners.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 8, 2022 1:14 PM

Dumb.

by Anonymousreply 1October 5, 2022 10:23 PM

How pretentious. Dogs don't know the difference, they just want something to eat

by Anonymousreply 2October 5, 2022 10:24 PM

The end of civilization.

by Anonymousreply 3October 5, 2022 10:26 PM

Gimmicky. I am not understanding this.

by Anonymousreply 4October 5, 2022 10:27 PM

Ughh to be rich. However my dog, RIP, knew the difference between Costco dog food and prime rib steak. Trust me he did.

by Anonymousreply 5October 5, 2022 10:30 PM

Meh, if it makes them and their owners happy, good for them.

by Anonymousreply 6October 5, 2022 10:30 PM

Now that I am down to just one dog, I feed him raw and cook for him. If I couldn't afford it or had all 3 dogs still I would do kibble. I think the restaurant a nice treat and a way to find out what doesn't agree with your dog's stomach before preparing something at home.

by Anonymousreply 7October 5, 2022 10:34 PM

I would not call this a waste of money but I am not understanding this.

Dogs don't care about what it looks like, they care about the aroma and taste of the food.

by Anonymousreply 8October 5, 2022 10:35 PM

Woof

by Anonymousreply 9October 5, 2022 11:05 PM

I’ve had dogs for much of my life. I’ve fed them raw, given them kibble, tried crazy expensive fancy brands, and alternated between canned and dry food. They’ve all still eaten cat and deer shit every chance they could. I’ll pass on this gimmick.

by Anonymousreply 10October 5, 2022 11:07 PM

R10, You can afford this for your dog? Please call me.

by Anonymousreply 11October 5, 2022 11:11 PM

Rescue-Chick, What kind of food do you prepare for your dog?

by Anonymousreply 12October 5, 2022 11:16 PM

[quote]Dogs don't know the difference, they just want something to eat

It's not about what chow ambiance the dogs want.

It's about separating the indulgent dog owners from their $$$$.

by Anonymousreply 13October 5, 2022 11:18 PM

Where do they excrete?

by Anonymousreply 14October 5, 2022 11:23 PM

I have read kibble is too full of iodine and is making pets sick

by Anonymousreply 15October 5, 2022 11:25 PM

I've fed my dogs a raw diet for 20 years. Even when I had 5, I did, but was a definite sale and bargain shopper. It really keeps them healthy and extends their lives.

That said, I had an immediate reaction to this restaurant. It really made me think of the last days of the French empire prior to the revolution. It comes off as shallow excess to me.

by Anonymousreply 16October 5, 2022 11:27 PM

Do they serve human food too? Or is their food suitable for both dogs and humans?

by Anonymousreply 17October 5, 2022 11:27 PM

How many patrons of this ridiculous place will walk by one of their fellow human beings starving in a fucking gutter to give their pampered pooches a $75 meal?

by Anonymousreply 18October 5, 2022 11:37 PM

Wretched excess. Bring out the guillotines. Could you bring a mutt there, or would your dog have to be a purebred?

by Anonymousreply 19October 5, 2022 11:41 PM

r12, I get almost all of the meat from wildforkfoods.com (except chicken feet, I get those at the grocery) unless there's a good sale locally.

I get boneless chicken thighs, boneless pork ny roasts, beef intestines, chicken hearts and ground turkey. one week will be chicken as the main, the next is pork.

one 5 pounds bag of chicken or roast combined with 2 pounds of ground turkey, 2 pounds of chicken hearts and a package of intestines mixed with a few cups of steel cut oatmeal or quinoa or wild rice and 2 cups of legumes (chickpeas, black beans etc). I throw in a half dozen eggs (shell and all) mix it all up and that lasts about a week or 9 days.

I make him a half gallon of Bulgarian yogurt each week and he gets glucosamine and salmon oil daily. He also eats a lot of vegetables and frequently gets a bit of my leftovers (he especially loves split pea soup, chickpea soup and tunafish sandwiches). Sometimes a bit of watermelon and blueberries.

by Anonymousreply 20October 6, 2022 12:25 AM

[quote] Dogs don't care about what it looks like, they care about the aroma and taste of the food.

True, R8 -- but they're not the ones picking up the tab.

by Anonymousreply 21October 6, 2022 1:15 AM

[quote]Dogs don't care about what it looks like, they care about the aroma and taste of the food.

We're talking about the animals that lick their own asses, right?

by Anonymousreply 22October 6, 2022 1:23 AM

in fairness, they lick other's assholes too. So do some people I have heard.

by Anonymousreply 23October 6, 2022 1:24 AM

Hmmmmph

by Anonymousreply 24October 6, 2022 1:27 AM

Am I needed here?

(P.S. fuck all y'all! You should be happy to take your best friend out to eat on a special occasion. Ingrates!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 6, 2022 1:28 AM

I will take both Bodega cat and miss peanut out for treats.

by Anonymousreply 26October 6, 2022 1:29 AM

During the week, Dogue serves Parisian pastries and “dogguccinos” that start at $4.95. A $75 three-course meal — which is seasonal and rotates frequently — is served only for Sunday walk-ins. Massarweh said pet owners can choose from a variety of dishes to serve their faithful companions, such as organic beef chuck steak with fermented carrots and beets or green-lipped mussels with fermented carrots and wheatgrass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 6, 2022 1:50 AM

I heard Oscar, the pup who was rehomed for "being gay," has a private table. His cursed former tormenters now stand in the rain, their noses pressed up against the window pane, watching while Oscar lives large and dines in style.

Good boy, Oscar; stay happy.

by Anonymousreply 28October 6, 2022 1:51 AM

Meanwhile the homeless are shitting just out on the sidewalk. What kind of fucked up world have we created?

by Anonymousreply 29October 6, 2022 1:51 AM

I would take our Corgi in an heartbeat and don’t give a FUCK what you poor bitches think!!!!

by Anonymousreply 30October 6, 2022 1:52 AM

I work for a homeless shelter so, I am ok with my choices r29.

by Anonymousreply 31October 6, 2022 1:53 AM

Starbucks offers puppuccinos for free. Some have mentioned its too much sugar to offer your dogs regularly.

by Anonymousreply 32October 6, 2022 1:55 AM

I live in SF and while I get it, there is something just so utterly distasteful about this. There are homeless people EVERYWHERE and SF is so small that the division between rich/poor is very much in your face.

by Anonymousreply 33October 6, 2022 2:00 AM

Its tone deafness to the extreme.

by Anonymousreply 34October 6, 2022 2:01 AM

I bet these pampered pooch owners pick up after their dog poops. Too bad so many homeless humans can't do the same for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 35October 6, 2022 2:04 AM

Oh jfc you MARYs. Do you never stay in a nice hotel when you travel? Do you not own a car? Do you only drink well liquor because there are bums out there that can’t afford Greygoose?

$75 for your dog in San Francisco just for fun wow the out of touch indignity of it all 🙄

by Anonymousreply 36October 6, 2022 2:10 AM

I loathe San Francisco’s Fisherman’s Wharf, but we couldn’t keep our collie from snatching up those discarded chowder bowls made with sourdough bread. Perhaps an alternative to the Douges Palace. I guarantee they’re gonna love it!

by Anonymousreply 37October 6, 2022 2:25 AM

Two packages bolonga, two loaves of bread. For 15 bucks they could give out 20 to 25 sandwiches to the poor.

by Anonymousreply 38October 6, 2022 3:42 AM

This is the gentrified (but still scuzzy) Valencia Street neighborhood that created $20 Avocado Toast, filled with hipster tekkies. Nothing there surprises me.

by Anonymousreply 39October 6, 2022 7:13 AM

I wish them nothing but success!

by Anonymousreply 40October 6, 2022 3:43 PM

We are experiencing the decline and fall.of the American empire.

by Anonymousreply 41October 6, 2022 3:45 PM

I see another opportunity for grifting so I'm opening one in NYC after the failure of my recent foray.

I'm calling it DAGS!

by Anonymousreply 42October 6, 2022 3:49 PM

Doggie gobbling up abandoned soup bowls makes me laugh

by Anonymousreply 43October 6, 2022 4:03 PM

I eat out all the time and pay a premium for the convenience. I will never order avocado toast. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 44October 6, 2022 4:19 PM

Fiddling while Rome burns springs to mind.. Also let them eat cake.

This kind of shit will create lots more jobs for personal security for rich folk.

by Anonymousreply 45October 6, 2022 4:24 PM

If all these rich idiots donated their spare $75 to animal rescue services instead of spoiling their pooches.

by Anonymousreply 46October 6, 2022 4:27 PM

I'd rather dine with dogs than MAGA idiots. (That's redundant.)

by Anonymousreply 47October 6, 2022 4:32 PM

Glad to see this in OP's linked article: "... San Francisco, where dogs reportedly recently outnumbered children...." I know which group I'd rather share a restaurant with.

by Anonymousreply 48October 6, 2022 5:10 PM

I like being around both, kids and dogs. Both make me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 49October 6, 2022 5:17 PM

One thing I love about SF is that it is not a city for children. Coming back post pandemic, there really aren't kids around. The families have fled. Aside from natives, in the past most straight couples will stay in the city, buy their first home, have their first child and then move to Marin for child #2, when they give up on still trying to have a life.

by Anonymousreply 50October 6, 2022 5:28 PM

You rich countries are silly. $75 dollars to taste different dogs? All dog tastes like really tough chicken. Dog meat is free here.

by Anonymousreply 51October 6, 2022 5:38 PM

These owners have too much money. What dolts!

by Anonymousreply 52October 6, 2022 5:55 PM

Miss R44 has stated her boundaries!

by Anonymousreply 53October 6, 2022 7:08 PM

Interview with the Chef.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 1, 2022 5:33 AM

What a pretty dog

by Anonymousreply 55November 1, 2022 5:34 AM

I’m laughing at the thought of my dog (RIP) ever tasting something rather than just scarfing it down like he hasn’t eaten in five days (more like 5 mins). There’s nothing wrong with celebrating your beloved pet if you have the ability to do so. It doesn’t mean those who don’t love their dog any less. It’s just an option.

by Anonymousreply 56November 1, 2022 5:37 AM

A Modest Proposal: San Francisco 2022 Edition

Open more dog restaurants.

Feed them sauteed homeless people.

by Anonymousreply 57November 1, 2022 5:42 AM

White people foolishness.

by Anonymousreply 58November 1, 2022 5:52 AM

Seems a touch indulgent.

by Anonymousreply 59November 1, 2022 7:42 AM

Pretty much sums up what the fuck is wrong with Frisco😵. 😁😁

by Anonymousreply 60November 1, 2022 9:08 AM

When a $75-a-head gourmet restaurant for dogs opened in San Francisco last month, Chronicle readers quickly derided it as a symbol of the area’s descent into a dog-obsessed dystopia.

San Francisco has become a place where canines may outnumber kids, and where dogs can more easily secure housing than many middle-class families. Dogue is not the restaurant we need — it’s the one we deserve.

But is San Francisco truly the canine capital it believes itself to be?

Probably not, according to new data from the U.S. Census Bureau. At least when it comes to the broader San Francisco metropolitan area — a region that also includes Oakland and Hayward — the heart of the Bay Area, in comparison to other places, is simply not overflowing with dogs.

The data comes from the U.S. census’ American Housing Survey, which for its 2021 survey asked respondents living in the largest 15 U.S. metropolitan areas whether they had one of several types of pet in their home, including dogs. It’s the first year the survey has asked respondents this question.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 7, 2022 6:05 PM

My Boston Terrier- Sprite and my Dachshund- Duke are down with this.

by Anonymousreply 62November 7, 2022 6:23 PM

I came here to say what r18 said.

Its fucking disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 63November 7, 2022 6:25 PM

My dog eats their own shit, you think I'm gonna pluck down $75 for an amuse pooch? Fuck no!

by Anonymousreply 64November 7, 2022 6:59 PM

Can I take my human slave dog there?

by Anonymousreply 65November 7, 2022 7:14 PM

Do they excrete on the sofa?

by Anonymousreply 66November 7, 2022 7:42 PM

Guarantee you most of the fools doing this don't have kids. Nothing wrong with that, but a dog is not a substitute for a child. There is a limit to what he can appreciate.

by Anonymousreply 67November 7, 2022 7:53 PM

The restaurant is a gimmick to generate interest in the main business, a bakery for dogs!

by Anonymousreply 68November 7, 2022 7:56 PM

It's a gimmick but not off. I live in SF and am dating in the 35-45 range. Lots of gay men got dogs over the quarantine and many worked from home over the last 3 years. Some are a little too attached to their dogs. Cuddling nude with your dog seems off limits, but what do I know? What I can say is these guys (gays) will splash money out for this.

by Anonymousreply 69November 8, 2022 1:55 AM

I just showed the AP video to my husband and he asked me “How much is it?”

“$75”

“Oh that’s not bad!”

Then I told him about all you tut-tutting bitches and how I found this story here lol

by Anonymousreply 70November 8, 2022 1:07 PM

We return favor!

by Anonymousreply 71November 8, 2022 1:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!