Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What does steak tartare taste like?

I want to know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 26, 2022 12:31 AM

It tastes like meatloaf mix but without the bread crumbs.

by Anonymousreply 1September 25, 2022 10:45 PM

I've not had tartare, but I have had sushi made with raw beef cubes. IME, the beef flavor wasn't very strong at all.

by Anonymousreply 2September 25, 2022 10:45 PM

It tastes like minced raw meat mixed with raw egg. I have tired to appreciate it but the gag reflex is too much so I’ve given up.

by Anonymousreply 3September 25, 2022 10:49 PM

it tastes nothing like cooked beef. It just has a mushy texture, and a vague irony/mineral flavor on its own. Depending on what its dressed with it can be delicious. If you want to get used to eating raw beef, start off with it's Italian counterpart steak carpaccio.

by Anonymousreply 4September 25, 2022 10:56 PM

I don’t know, but it’s what you’ll be if you don’t buy the premium home security package.

by Anonymousreply 5September 25, 2022 10:56 PM

Sashimi but slimy.

by Anonymousreply 6September 25, 2022 10:59 PM

This is an oddly timely post (for me).

I’ve always wanted to try it but was not willing to try (risk?) making it for myself.

Last week was my birthday, and my parents took me to a steak house that makes it. I purposely picked the place just for that reason.

Minced beef/steak with capers, shallots, and some various spices mixed together. Topped with a raw quail egg served with a baguette.

It was good, but not … great. I don’t think the “greatness” depends on the preparation. It is what it is. I enjoyed it but I don’t know that I would order it again (especially for the price - $30 for an appetizer).

The dinner itself WAS fantastic so I was very happy with the meal on the whole.

It was fairly salty, which I liked, but not everyone would. The consistency is basically what you would think - ground beef.

I agree with R4. It has a light mineral flavor (almost like blood but lighter).

by Anonymousreply 7September 25, 2022 11:11 PM

[quote]Signature Steak Tartare

[quote]our hand chopped tartare is prepared to order with capers, shallots and parsley, topped with a quail egg, served with toasted baguette

Was the menu description

by Anonymousreply 8September 25, 2022 11:19 PM

Just like grabbing a taste of hamburger meat before you mix anything in and actually cook it. An acquired taste.

by Anonymousreply 9September 25, 2022 11:30 PM

It tastes delicious, but has to be made with freshly ground steak. I don’t understand how people can’t live it with a glass of single malt scotch.

by Anonymousreply 10September 26, 2022 12:06 AM

Delicious. Great tang and minerality.

Umami.

by Anonymousreply 11September 26, 2022 12:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!