Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Queer as Folk is DEAD TO ME!

Take that, queer BIPOC Trans!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 5, 2022 8:07 PM

I forgot the reboot existed.

by Anonymousreply 1September 24, 2022 3:13 AM

I mentioned on the other thread, I just finished watching this, and yeah. This news doesn't surprise me.

by Anonymousreply 2September 24, 2022 3:13 AM

Me neither, it was realllllly bad.

by Anonymousreply 3September 24, 2022 3:16 AM

Karma is a bitch

by Anonymousreply 4September 24, 2022 3:17 AM

Woke, woke, take another toke.

The drag you don is broke, not bespoke.

by Anonymousreply 5September 24, 2022 3:20 AM

I’m EXHAUSTED!

by Anonymousreply 6September 24, 2022 3:38 AM

The lead's face looks like she hasn't shat in years!

by Anonymousreply 7September 24, 2022 3:44 AM

hahahahaha

by Anonymousreply 8September 24, 2022 3:45 AM

it was unwatchable. even if I was a trans kid trapped in my basement in Kansas and desperately seeking to see someone like me, I wouldn't want to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 9September 24, 2022 5:58 AM

Were.

by Anonymousreply 10September 24, 2022 6:00 AM

Go woke go broke.

by Anonymousreply 11September 24, 2022 7:14 AM

R6, no joke - I was looking earlier for a podcast on the show, I just wanted to hear what others have said. And that Hot Takes & Deep Dives podcast was interviewing our Roxane on the show. And it started off, I am not kidding, with the following exchange:

HOST: Hi Roxane, how are you?

ROXANE: [italic]Siiiiiiigh[/italic].

I couldn't stop laughing.

by Anonymousreply 12September 24, 2022 3:28 PM

Who thought it was a good idea to use the Pulse nightclub shooting as a focal point of the show? What a turn off. Not to mention traumatizing for survivors and Florida gays.

by Anonymousreply 13September 24, 2022 5:25 PM

^yeah I found that pretty weird too.

by Anonymousreply 14September 24, 2022 11:04 PM

Well paint me surprised! They should never have made this reboot in the first place. The original premise of QAF (both the UK and US versions) was to be a show about the lives and friendships of a group of gay men. Yes, the original shows can and should be criticized for their lack of diversity, but this new version of QAF basically eliminated any male cis-gendered gay male characters.

by Anonymousreply 15September 24, 2022 11:25 PM

I listened to a few of those Hot Takes episodes yesterday, mentioned above (r12) and she did an interview with Peter Paige and Scott Lowell which was really interesting. Paige said that the other two choices for Emmett were both black, one being Billy Porter.

Another interesting thing from her interview with Roxane was Roxane was talking about how while diversity is necessary, too many shows go through it all like a checklist and not in a natural way that relates to the storyline. I found that interesting considering that is some people's complaints about the new Queer as Folk (which apparently she was involved with on every episode from 3-8).

by Anonymousreply 16September 24, 2022 11:33 PM

Basically, 'Writers shouldn't play checklist, except when I do it.'

by Anonymousreply 17September 25, 2022 6:29 AM

Cut to: Jaclyn Moore going back to being John and running back to Netflix …

by Anonymousreply 18September 25, 2022 6:50 AM

I can appreciate a vision for diversity; however the show was a mess. There was no real cohesive story, just a bunch of gratuitous random sex scenes, and glorification of recreational cocaine use. I question if a show with only lgbt storylines (yes all of the letters in one show) is actually anymore realistic than it ever was...regardless if it well written.

by Anonymousreply 19September 25, 2022 6:52 AM

[quote] Yes, the original shows can and should be criticized for their lack of diversity

Oh, do shut up.

by Anonymousreply 20September 25, 2022 6:52 AM

I didn't even know it had come out! They sure didn't do much press for this ill-fated show.

by Anonymousreply 21September 25, 2022 6:57 AM

Agree with R20. The original shows had believable, cohesive casts.

by Anonymousreply 22September 25, 2022 6:58 AM

[quote] eliminated any male cis-gendered gay male characters.

r15 There is no such thing as "male cis-gendered gay male". There is only one kind of gay man. Nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 23September 25, 2022 7:03 AM

I do agree with Roxanne about the checklist casting.

It's so damn obvious when they do it. And, fake.

by Anonymousreply 24September 25, 2022 7:04 AM

R22 Can't believe it's been 20 some years since the original debuted. That was way before the current diversity for diversity's sake casting issue.

by Anonymousreply 25September 25, 2022 7:05 AM

Roxanne shouldn’t be schooling anyone on what makes for good writing or casting R24

by Anonymousreply 26September 25, 2022 7:06 AM

When I found out that one of the main couples was a heterosexual one where their kooky style of stress defined their queerness, I knew this would be more gay erasure bullshit by black homophobes like Roxanne Gay.

Glad it bit them in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 27September 25, 2022 7:16 AM

Sorta didn't bite her in the ass if she still made money. For a real biting in the ass to occur she needs to become unempoyable. For some reason market forces seem incapable of dislodging talentless ideologues like her from positions of authority and employment.

by Anonymousreply 28September 25, 2022 8:16 AM

[quote]When I found out that one of the main couples was a heterosexual one where their kooky style of stress defined their queerness,

There was a scene where they tried to explain what being genderless is and it really wasn't very well done. I didn't end up understanding it, and it was actually a really embarrassing display by the characters in an upscale restaurant where they talked about gendering bread and then one of the characters gave oral sex to the bread. It was so weird, because we were meant to be cheering them on clearly, but I was suffering full-on second hand embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 29September 25, 2022 8:38 AM

I'm feeling how the decrepit queens of DL will feel when they finally accept the fact that Mayo Pete will never be president.

by Anonymousreply 30September 25, 2022 9:02 AM

The US show from 2000 lasted 5 seasons. It just shows you that making a show that has to check all of the current trends (diversity for diversity's sake, T, non-binary, genderless, whatever) does not sell.

by Anonymousreply 31September 25, 2022 7:57 PM

It was also too grim, in my eyes. It didn't really feel as fun as it could've. Earlier shows like the US Queer as Folk and The L Word were quite campy in many places, which is a style a lot of people don't go for currently. I think it probably seems a bit old fashioned, but it was a lot more fun.

Also, I wonder if it's to do with less need for gay shows just about being gay, you know? That seemed revolutionary at one time. I think a lot of us would love to see shows about something else, but with gay characters in it that aren't defined solely by their gayness.

by Anonymousreply 32September 25, 2022 8:48 PM

If the show had been about good-looking, mostly normal/masculine-leaning gay men it would have been renewed.

by Anonymousreply 33September 26, 2022 2:10 AM

R33 Because that would appeal to Frau Fans...

by Anonymousreply 34September 26, 2022 3:53 AM

R34, no, because a more substantial number of people would actually watch it.

by Anonymousreply 35September 29, 2022 11:40 AM

No one wants to watch a bunch of woke Negro trannies? Quelle surprise.

by Anonymousreply 36September 29, 2022 11:48 AM

"genderless" lmao

by Anonymousreply 37September 29, 2022 12:41 PM

I mean, it isn't like there isn't any media representation in 2022. Every show in the sweet demographic has "queer" representation.

by Anonymousreply 38September 29, 2022 12:49 PM

Shows like this only confirm the general public's belief that the LGBTQ+ community is nothing but a narcissistic sex-crazed freak show.

I think they are secretly funded by the right wing to sway public opinion.

by Anonymousreply 39September 29, 2022 1:36 PM

R39 Fuck off, narcissism troll. There is no such thing.

by Anonymousreply 40September 29, 2022 1:44 PM

well, at least it wasn't as bad as the L word revival... that decided to not do their original (ripoff) plans of taking one of the former characters to jail (based ona uk female prison drama) because they feared it would be too much like Orange Is The New Black.

(also, the us version of qaf was a pox compared to the uk version. I wonder if the DL still has those threads)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 29, 2022 1:45 PM

Much love to you, R40. So much love.

by Anonymousreply 42September 29, 2022 1:47 PM

so, when is the reboot of Noah's Arc?

by Anonymousreply 43September 29, 2022 1:53 PM

[QUOTE] so, when is the reboot of Noah's Arc?

They're planning an all-white reboot.

It's called Justin's Arc.

by Anonymousreply 44September 29, 2022 1:59 PM

Kim Cattrall is PISSED!

by Anonymousreply 45September 29, 2022 2:13 PM

Is she really pissed or does she not care like with the Sex and the City reboot?

by Anonymousreply 46September 30, 2022 6:22 AM

I just spoke to her R46 and she's so distraught she signed on for Season 2 of And Just Like That.

by Anonymousreply 47September 30, 2022 7:45 AM

Jaclyn, back in the day

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 5, 2022 12:40 PM

You people watch the crappiest new shows. You never learn!

by Anonymousreply 49October 5, 2022 12:44 PM

Not surprising really. If it had been a reboot of the previous series, I'd have given it a go, but it seemed to be trying to shoehorn every minority in and looked a bit too try hard.

Plus I'm a fan of the original UK version. American remakes aren't really my thing.

by Anonymousreply 50October 5, 2022 12:48 PM

I don't believe these overly 'woke' remakes, sequels or continuations will stop, because loud sections of societies are calling for them. However, as loud as they may be, they're not the majority, hence the bottom-of-the-barrel viewing figures.

Inclusion is essential, though, but it's got to be thoughtfully and realistically done. More often than not, it's rammed down viewers' throats and they're called names if they comment on it or protest.

by Anonymousreply 51October 5, 2022 12:55 PM

DEATH TO TROONS AND FAT RACIST EXHAUSTED ROXANNE

by Anonymousreply 52October 5, 2022 1:02 PM

Do you think that major studios will continue releasing this kind of crap even though it makes no money, R51? Not sure about that.

by Anonymousreply 53October 5, 2022 3:14 PM

[quote]Fuck off, narcissism troll. There is no such thing.

Don't damage her image, she'll cut you.

by Anonymousreply 54October 5, 2022 3:22 PM

This is what happens when you write a story that appeals to absolutely no one.

by Anonymousreply 55October 5, 2022 4:33 PM

Don't Give Two Fucks is cancelled?

by Anonymousreply 56October 5, 2022 6:50 PM

[quote]This is what happens when you write a story that appeals to absolutely no one.

Exactly. You need to give the people want they want or they won’t show up. Write for the people.

by Anonymousreply 57October 5, 2022 7:40 PM

[quote]Inclusion is essential, though, but it's got to be thoughtfully and realistically done. More often than not, it's rammed down viewers' throats and they're called names if they comment on it or protest.

Exactly! I want to see diverse stories and I imagine most people do - but when it's imposed rather than come naturally from the story, then viewers pick up on it straight away. What they are essentially reacting badly to is bad writing.

It's so easy for these writers to just scream: "bigot!" at someone for not liking their show, rather than look inwards and see what the problem truly is.

by Anonymousreply 58October 5, 2022 7:55 PM

[quote]I don't believe these overly 'woke' remakes, sequels or continuations will stop, because loud sections of societies are calling for them. However, as loud as they may be, they're not the majority, hence the bottom-of-the-barrel viewing figures.

No, they call for it but they themselves do not go see it or support it. No trans went to see Bros yet they would throw a fit if the movie didn’t cater to them.

by Anonymousreply 59October 5, 2022 8:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!