Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sins of our Mother - Netflix

Anyone watched? I'm getting ready to watch this tonight and I confess I find this case fascinating. LDS bitch kills husband, brother and 2 kids after getting involved with crazy apocalyptic cult leader. The 20/20 segment is good too.

by Anonymousreply 25December 4, 2022 5:56 AM

I started but found it hard to follow. I’ll try again - didn’t realize she kills everyone!

by Anonymousreply 1September 19, 2022 7:21 PM

Yes, I watched it the other day and I’m also fascinated and repulsed by this case. There were so many red flags and her poor husband Charles begged the police for help before he was killed. And her affect throughout all of this was so blithe and glib. She is a true villain.

by Anonymousreply 2September 19, 2022 7:25 PM

I think her surviving son has same sex tendencies that controlling wife of his keeps tamped down.

He gained weight between the stress of his mother and the stress of having a newborn.

Mom is a fucking psycho. I felt bad for the daughter.

by Anonymousreply 3September 19, 2022 7:26 PM

I think she even tried to kill another brother and the 20/20 part even made hints at incest between Lori and brother Alex when they were teens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 19, 2022 7:31 PM

I honestly don't see what Lori who, despite being a psycho, was attractive and fit saw in Chad who was fat and homely.

by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2022 7:33 PM

Lori and Alex's mother seems very in denial in the 20/20 segment.

by Anonymousreply 6September 19, 2022 7:43 PM

Lori's mother is basically a West Coast version of Magda from "There's Something About Mary."

Smoking and sunworshipping -- a deadly combo for the face.

by Anonymousreply 7September 19, 2022 8:10 PM

Religion kills.

by Anonymousreply 8September 19, 2022 11:53 PM

Schizophrenia-seeing angels, having visions, a sense of invincibility.

by Anonymousreply 9September 19, 2022 11:54 PM

Just started watching this and ten minutes in I hate Lori and everyone in this thing already. “God told me to buy a vowel”. Bitch, please. Americans are just so weird and creepy. Did the son ping for anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 10September 29, 2022 1:33 AM

r3

I was QUITE shocked when the son mentioned his WIFE

by Anonymousreply 11October 30, 2022 11:36 PM

I’m probably a bitch for saying this but the son didn’t seem all that genuinely sad or remorseful regarding the death of his siblings. And I wonder if Netflix paid for that trip to Hawaii for him and his family at the end.

Lori’s mom was and is still in deep denial.

The documentary series was interesting for the subject matter yet still felt very slight. I wish they could have interviewed more family members (including the children of the murdered husband who Lori also helped raise, plus Chad’s own kids).

by Anonymousreply 12November 2, 2022 8:52 PM

I only recently caught up on this story after ignoring it for a couple of years. I think the woman was a psychopath but not actually brainwashed into believing the cults teachings.

by Anonymousreply 13November 2, 2022 8:55 PM

This sounds like the female version of Under The Banner Of Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 14November 2, 2022 8:56 PM

To elaborate, I think she didn't believe a word of it but just wanted to rid of her kids.

by Anonymousreply 15November 2, 2022 8:56 PM

I think she was brainwashed from birth to be a hard core believer. Throw in narcissism and general unstable essential (married 4 times before marrying the cult leader).

Her mother seems curiously dispassionate that her daughter murdered multiple victims.

by Anonymousreply 16November 6, 2022 6:26 PM

Her mother was also in deep denial that her son murdered Lori’s estranged husband or that he was involved in the death of Chad’s first wife. Bitch got the face she deserved.

by Anonymousreply 17November 6, 2022 6:35 PM

That whole family was freaky, even the murdered teenaged daughter. Severely weird affects on them all. I can’t imagine the generations of evil that went down in that family to make them so strange. I suppose it didn’t help to be in a rural, religious, basically closed-off society.

I felt bad for the other grandparents. Sorry your son just had to fuck crazy.

by Anonymousreply 18November 10, 2022 11:54 PM

Religious people, all of them, are extremely dangerous psychopaths, I avoid them like the plague

by Anonymousreply 19November 11, 2022 7:19 AM

A great deal of people never really escape their trauma or brainwashing. They may grow older, but they never grow "wiser" in the sense of still falling for a new abuser's lies and scams. We often underestimate how other people crave the familiar they perceive as normal and that includes being abused and addiction. That is why facing and dealing with past trauma is so important. Once you've dealt with it and closed that chapter for good, it will no longer influence your future decisions.

by Anonymousreply 20November 11, 2022 8:20 AM

Where was this crazy bitches father?

by Anonymousreply 21November 11, 2022 11:28 AM

Crazy story. It helped to also watch the 20/20 segment. The living brother Adam--who gives off older Thomas Calabro vibes--is hot. He explains how the family chooses Lori over him. It also fills in some, but not all of the blanks. I find myself still interested in how the system failed (the police in multiple instances; the psychiatric review of Lori; etc). I also wanted to hear from Tammy Daybell's family, but perhaps we have to wait until after both Lori and Chad are (hopefully) convicted. I also think there was more to the relationship between Lori and Alex ... he potentially killed four people for his sister and nutso brother-in-law.

Colby has a lot on his plate. He inherited a lot of emotional garbage on top of what became his horrific familial narrative. He's still hardcore Christian, but I guess that's one of the few constants in his life that makes him feel safe. The scene with him and his wife in Hawaii felt forced, but it also showed him expressing raw emotion, which felt necessary. The wife seems to be a better presence in his life than anyone else who is still living.

Lori's mom passed on some of her crazy to Lori, who appeared to be predisposed to being a psychopath. Certainly being raised in the LDS Church didn't help. Just a confluence of bad actors and genetics.

I feel really bad for Charles' sons; the grandparents of JJ as well; and the family of Tammy.

If I was an actor/writer, I would create a character based on Julie Rowe (Chad Daybell's former friend who is nuts, but part of the "light."). She's batshit, but, at least how this doco shows it, in a "fun" way.

by Anonymousreply 22December 3, 2022 2:53 AM

R20: [quote] facing and dealing with past trauma is so important. Once you've dealt with it and closed that chapter for good, it will no longer influence your future decisions.

I don’t have much to say about the case or these people, except that the whole thing is absolutely batshit, but [bold]this[/bold] is key to having a life worth living. If only more people did this!

by Anonymousreply 23December 3, 2022 3:25 AM

^ok, so I fucked up the quote [italic]and[/italic] accidentally WWd myself 🙄

by Anonymousreply 24December 3, 2022 3:27 AM

I just watched this tonight. It didn't offer much of anything that I didn't already know about the case, but the interviews with friends and family were illuminating to some degree. The footage of Lori in beauty pageants and on Wheel of Fortune was quite weird to see. She was very pretty in her youth, but you could see even then a disconnect/empty look in her eyes. She is a veritable psychopath. I read she was recently found competent to stand trial, leading many to suspect she doesn't actually believe in all the insane fringe cult bullshit she espoused, but I'm not sure that that's necessarily the case. I think her being raised LDS was clearly a huge a factor in her mental decline—being brought up in a religion like that and also being predisposed to mental disorders is a true recipe for disaster, which appears to be exactly the case with her.

by Anonymousreply 25December 4, 2022 5:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!