Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Queen Elizabeth is DEAD TO ME - Official Part 3 THE FUNERAL

As Part 2 is now paywalled, and the observances are still being carried out by varied royals in varied places, and . . .

THE FUNERAL IS MONDAY AND WE NEED A THREAD FOR IT!

I thought I'd open it now.

by Anonymousreply 326September 20, 2022 5:03 PM

Related Link to Part 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2022 6:29 PM

Coverage starts on BBC One at 8am.

We've all got the day off, so you'd better tune in.

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2022 6:29 PM

You want to declare this the OFFICIAL THREAD for an event almost five days off? Good luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2022 6:30 PM

I can't decide whether to wake up with the G&Ts as it starts, or start with scones and strawberry jam and Devon cream and move into the G&Ts later.

To proceed fully informed:

Today other royals spread out to Manchester, Norfolk, and Glasgow to engage with populations there who weren't in areas close to the first stops or to London. The Wales' are in Norfolk, Anne in Glasgow, and the Wessexes took Manchester, where they drew a far, far larger crowd than the Sussexes did a couple of weeks ago.

The Sussexes are not part of the continued royal outreach, nor are the Yorks. Charles is at Highgove resting up for the funeral, and Camilla is doing the same but at her home in Wiltshire, Ray Mill.

Angela Levin and The SUN have broken the story that Charles plans not to bestow HRHs on Archie and Lilibet, but will issue Letters Patent to give them the title of Prince and Princess, but not the style of HRH. The story also insists that the Sussexes have been at him ceaselessly about the issue during this week of mourning.

I don't know what to make of the story, as it seems unlikely that with everything else he had to do this week, KCIII was also worrying about the Harkles' kids' titles. However, it is well within the reach of the imagination that the Harkles would think nothing of relentlessly pursuing the subject regardless of his grief and everything else on his plate.

I don't buy the Reddit story posted elsewhere except for the Spoitfy tea, because the contact is out of L.A., so how would he know if Meghan is terrified of Kate and William?

The Heads of State and Government and Crowned Heads list is huge and growing.

The queue to pay last respects to the Queen is more than two miles long and shows no sign of abating even at ngiht.

I'm most looking forward to the ensembles that will be worn by Kate, Meghan, Sophie, Lady Sarah Chatto, Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, and Queen Letizia of Spain.

Do we think Kent gell fainted yesterday because she's up the duff (that would be Pss Michael of Kent's daughter, married about two years ago and in her late thirties, so it may be possible).

Have I missed anything? If so, pile on, but leave space for Monday! OP

I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2022 6:39 PM

Oh, and re the HRH issue with ArchieBet, it would seem to confirm what Jane Barr said about the matter in From Berkshire to Buckingham: it is NOT necessarily a done deal that the minute the Queen breathed her last, children who were born as great-grandchildren do NOT automatically wake up the next day as HRHs, because it has to be confirmed by the new King by Letters Patent. And he can, at will, withhold the HRHs at his pleasure.

Barr suggested that this might happen, that it was not an automatic bump-up, any more than Lady Louise Windsor deciding to turn HRH on her 18th birthday. She has the option, but couldn't use it unless affirmed by the Sovereign.

I do not know why people keep bringing up the York princesses, especially the Harkles, moaning about "working royals". The York princesses were at birth grandchildren of the Sovereign in the male line, which is different from being born great-grandchildren and asking for a retroactive upgrade.

It has nothing to do with being working royals. The Sussexes lost their HRHs because they had betrayed the woman who gave them the ducal title, and who knew they were planning to merch it. The York girls had meaningless little jobs that no one can even remember. The Sussexes were already talking to Scobie, Oprah, and Netflix.

Andrew was 4th in line at that time, and planning on a lifetime of service to the monarchy. Harry was 6th in line and by the time Archie was born, everyone inside knew the Harkles were planning to leave.

So there's that.

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2022 6:48 PM

They just announced a whole big group of people from Canada going. All the former PMs, a bunch of other bureaucrats, several Indigenous leaders, some RCMP and Canadian military members.

by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2022 6:51 PM

R6 - As a Commonwealth country, Canada is allowed to bring more people to the funeral. It's like a delegation. The Queen visited Canada more than any other country.

by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2022 6:56 PM

A laugh for those who need it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2022 7:58 PM

A royal guard collapses head first onto the concrete floor. Yikes! I hope he's ok.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2022 8:02 PM

^ Bless him, he got up and finished his job.

by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2022 8:04 PM

I’m annoyed at the smirk on Megan’s face while the rest of the family looked devastated, she’s an actress for fucks sake can’t she at least fake it for a few minutes!

My heart breaks for Ann, she clearly is taking this very hard, she lost her dad and now mother in less than two years.

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2022 9:30 PM

R11 there is a reason why she never made it far as an actress .

by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2022 9:57 PM

R11 Has Ann stayed close with her mother…as in seeing her regularly? Was she involved in care decisions for her parents? I plead not ignorance on BRF, but she does seem sad. When MEghan smiles, I want to die.

by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2022 10:03 PM

Then you’d accuse her of faking it r11. She looked sufficiently solemn to me. Some of the others look devastated, like Anne and Sophie, and even Charles. They’ve known her for a lot longer.

by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2022 10:05 PM

I guess the real titles for Haz and Megs kids should be Cocklet and Cuntlet.

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2022 10:30 PM

^ freak

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2022 10:37 PM

Bitter old DL Queens spending their retirement years in a sub- basement efficiency apartment.

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2022 10:41 PM

Mail says Harry and Andrew have wangled the right to wear uniforms at the vigil.

by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2022 10:52 PM

I honestly think if they can let the scuzzy fucker, Andrew, wear uniform then they can’t really refuse HW.

by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2022 10:55 PM

This makes the Palace look so scattered - Harry and Andrew were not allowed to wear uniforms at the march yesterday, which meant they got an awkward photo of everyone but the two veterans of action saluting. Now Harry and Andrew both can wear uniforms at the weekend vigil. And then on Monday, only Andrew can wear a uniform but Harry can’t. So you have three different policies, for what reason? Stupid.

by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2022 10:58 PM

I thought Andrew only had permission for the vigil. I will be happy to stand corrected.

by Anonymousreply 21September 15, 2022 11:00 PM

The vigil is the Saturday event, and the Mail says Harry will be able to wear his uniform. But then for the service Monday, Harry will not be able to wear his uniform.

by Anonymousreply 22September 15, 2022 11:02 PM

No one should wear their uniforms unless they’re fucking soldiers! How the hell is Charles wearing a uniform, he’s a hundred years old. Anne too—I’m all for women serving but she’s as old as Charles and never saw a day of service in the military. Charles carrying those swords was beyond stupid. He could barely walk.

by Anonymousreply 23September 15, 2022 11:07 PM

^That's been confirmed, I think. The Palace realised it was splitting hairs and not doing itself any favours, so it reversed its decision: both he and Andrew can wear uniform at the vigil, but neither can wear it to the funeral. I still think Harry forfeited his right to parade himself after smearing his Commander in Chief (past and present) but whatever. The vigil is maybe twenty minutes.

So the Sussexes got photo ops with the King, the new Wales', and at the big events. It's a win for them, albeit a short-term one, I don't think it resulted in them being any more likable than they were before, they got a badly needed spray of royal paint. What it translates to as they go on, if the BRF continue to keep them at arm's length is anyone's guess.

Considering the shit Meghan said in that interview, it's way more than she deserves, but it does give the BRF some cover if, having given the two sociopaths a bit, further shit spewed by the two are more likely to make them look bad than the BRF.

by Anonymousreply 24September 15, 2022 11:39 PM

Your opinion counts for nothing R23.

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2022 12:22 AM

I don't think any of them should wear uniforms. I preferred it when they all just wore suits at Philip's funeral.

I still can't quite get used to the fact that the Queen's dead and we have a King now. I know that's ridiculous, given that she was ninety-six. I suppose it just felt as though things were finally getting back to normal after COVID. And things were already pretty weird before COVID, thanks to Trump and Brexit. Everything's changed so much in the last six years or so.

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2022 12:36 AM

Yeah no shit r25. That’s why we see people like Charles—giant baby Charles—wearing a uniform.

by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2022 12:45 AM

Why not, R27, he served in the armed forces.

You’ll have to come back with a more convincing argument than “yeah no shit”, but I appreciate that that may be a challenge for you.

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2022 1:13 AM

R28, they ALL served in the armed forces, even Edward. Anne didn’t. So yeah, no shit!

by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2022 1:53 AM

As I thought, R29.

by Anonymousreply 30September 16, 2022 2:34 AM

Exact,y, r30!

by Anonymousreply 31September 16, 2022 2:44 AM

(Of course, none of them do now…)

by Anonymousreply 32September 16, 2022 2:46 AM

C’mon, did they really serve in the literal sense?

by Anonymousreply 33September 16, 2022 2:56 AM

Nope, r33. They all spent about 10 minutes in the military (except for Andrew) and none of them have served in many, many years. But they think it’s ok to wear a uniform.

by Anonymousreply 34September 16, 2022 3:00 AM

R34 and a decked out uniform at that!

by Anonymousreply 35September 16, 2022 3:03 AM

King Charles needs to Marie Kondo Halfwit Harry and his harridan. They do not spark joy.

by Anonymousreply 36September 16, 2022 3:11 AM

Charles is head of the armed forces.

by Anonymousreply 37September 16, 2022 4:23 AM

I think somebody thought let Ginger Smurf wear a uniform. Then he can go back to California, put on his board shorts, and have a think about what he's given up.

by Anonymousreply 38September 16, 2022 4:25 AM

The queue in London had to be shut down for 6 hours as it is now over five miles long with a 14-hour wait.

I hear deafening silence from Owen Jones. Remember how last Saturday he was contemptuously asserting that as there were more flowers for Diana, it proves Diana was more popular than the Queen?

The King, only last week Prince of Wales, was in Cardiff today and was met with large crowds and calls of God Save the Kkng. So the rest was brief at Highgrove. Gloucestershire isnt far from the Welsh border.

And, the night before the funeral, Charles will host an enormous reception for visiting dignitaries, so if there are photos we will get a preliminary glimpse of Criwned Heads.

The schedule is, literally and figuratively, crushing.

by Anonymousreply 39September 16, 2022 10:55 AM

[quote] I hear deafening silence from Owen Jones. Remember how last Saturday he was contemptuously asserting that as there were more flowers for Diana, it proves Diana was more popular than the Queen?

Owen Jones never gets tired of being wrong. About everything.

by Anonymousreply 40September 16, 2022 11:18 AM

Small detail, but the BBC are talking about "King Charles III and Camilla, the Queen Consort". They're still resisting the phrase "Queen Camilla".

by Anonymousreply 41September 16, 2022 11:19 AM

I suspect that will change over time, R41. But it definitely won't change during the official period of mourning.

by Anonymousreply 42September 16, 2022 11:23 AM

I thought queens (regnant or consort) tended to be known as (HM) The Queen during their/their husbands' reigns. For example, old newsreels from before 1952 might refer to Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother as The Queen (full stop). I wonder whether the Palace will ever style Camilla as HM The Queen. It would be so jarring, but that might change.

The press will certainly get round to calling her Queen Camilla. Kate is already being called Princess Kate.

by Anonymousreply 43September 16, 2022 11:29 AM

R13 I believe she saw Andrew most near the end since he lives in Windsor. However, she was very close to Anne, and Anne was with her when she passed. I heard that Anne was the only child with a direct line. The others had to phone staff first if they wanted to speak to her. But obviously, I have no way to know if that is actually true.

by Anonymousreply 44September 16, 2022 11:36 AM

Anne and the Queen shared a love of equestrian culture. Anne was part of the British Olympic Equestrian team in the 1970s. And as the only daughter, there would have been the shared bonds of womanhood, childbirth, motherhood, etc.

The Queen was still Princess Elizabeth when Anne was born in 1950. So Anne was also part of a somewhat quieter phase of the Queen's life. Andrew and Edward werexalmost like a second family.

by Anonymousreply 45September 16, 2022 11:59 AM

[quote]Anne too—I’m all for women serving but she’s as old as Charles and never saw a day of service in the military.

Anne holds several honorary military titles, and is in fact quite hands-on with some of them. The four cavalry units she "commands" especially love her, as you might imagine: she's a better rider than some of them. The groups she commands would be quite disappointed if she didn't represent them on such an occasion, I think. I've seen them in docos speaking far more warmly of her than was strictly necessary to be respectful of a royal.

by Anonymousreply 46September 16, 2022 12:02 PM

Anne is the pride of the cavalry.

by Anonymousreply 47September 16, 2022 12:17 PM

R47 And being the notoriously lusty lass she is known to be, she'd have taken every advantage of it.

Story about Anne at a dance when much younger (alleged to overheard)

Anne to dance partner: "Are you afraid of me?"

Dance partner, stammering: "Why, no, of course not."

Anne: "Then stop holding me like a piece of china and let's dance properly."

by Anonymousreply 48September 16, 2022 1:47 PM

Anne’s my favorite royal, no nonsense, hard working, and incredibly cool in her quintessentially Anne way

by Anonymousreply 49September 16, 2022 1:52 PM

Poor Camilla. Always following the big guns. First Diana kept her from being styled as Princess of Wales because it would have been too much drama. And now the longest monarch Britain has ever seen, who was immensely popular, will live on in people's memories as The Queen, leaving Camilla as Queen Consort.

As I said above in R42, I suspect that will change in time, but for now, the only "HM The Queen" anyone thinks about is Elizabeth II.

by Anonymousreply 50September 16, 2022 3:11 PM

The following is a link to a lovely article about the Queen's Ladies in Waiting, all of whom where lined up in respect in Westminster Hall.

With her to the end.

Known apparently in Buckingham Palace as "Head Girls".

by Anonymousreply 51September 16, 2022 4:02 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 16, 2022 4:02 PM

Charlotte resembles the young Princess Elizabeth (the late Queen) in this photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53September 16, 2022 4:10 PM

Off into the sunset she goes...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 16, 2022 4:18 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 16, 2022 4:32 PM

Camilla lost her footing as she was leaving the Cathedral in Wales. Supposedly, she has a broken toe.

by Anonymousreply 56September 16, 2022 4:34 PM

At the Grandchild Vigil on Saturday, William will stand at the head pf the Queen's coffin and Harry at her feet.

Too bad Her Majesty can't give Harry a good kick to remember her.

by Anonymousreply 57September 16, 2022 4:38 PM

R34. Charles served a lot longer than ten minutes.

They have ceremonial positions which also entitle them to wear uniforms. And Charles gets to be head of state without winning an election. You may not like it but that is part of the monarchy and most British people are in favor of retaining the monarchy.

by Anonymousreply 58September 16, 2022 4:44 PM

R7, the US would have been bringing a delegation of former presidents as well if not for the Trump situation. Biden didn't want him there and neither did the UK. If Biden had been allowed a delegation and excluded him, it would have been a scandal. With Trump's monarchy worship, he very likely would have accepted and ruined the event for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 59September 16, 2022 4:54 PM

A very simple resting place for the Queen's father and mother. The Queen will be buried by them and her husband Prince Philip. I believe Princess Margaret's ashes are in the tomb with her parents King George and Queen Elizabeth. They will all be reunited again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 16, 2022 5:11 PM

David Beckham queues 12 hours to pay respects..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61September 16, 2022 5:20 PM

Strong resemblance, R53. That photo is new to me.

by Anonymousreply 62September 16, 2022 5:37 PM

The King's speech to the faith leaders today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 16, 2022 5:43 PM

Nope r59. Canada ia a Commonwealth Realm. She was their Queen too.

by Anonymousreply 64September 16, 2022 5:44 PM

I understand the distinction, R64. Early reporting indicated that would be the case.

by Anonymousreply 65September 16, 2022 5:50 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66September 16, 2022 6:01 PM

It's never too early to say it: Prince George is developing a chronic case of carb face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67September 16, 2022 6:43 PM

That’s Louie Anderson at r67.

by Anonymousreply 68September 16, 2022 7:57 PM

I hope they never get that gap fixed.

by Anonymousreply 69September 16, 2022 8:09 PM

He looks like Diana's brother. too.

by Anonymousreply 70September 16, 2022 9:49 PM

Lovely moment with the grandchildren. Youngest grandchild is there, Viscount Severn. CNN mentioned he looks like William, which he does!

by Anonymousreply 71September 17, 2022 5:08 PM

^some of them are obviously holding back tears.

by Anonymousreply 72September 17, 2022 5:12 PM

Here's the vigil. There was something quite touching about seeing all eight of them together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 17, 2022 5:43 PM

I didn't think it would happpen. Sophie looked very tearful, I suppose she was worried for James and Louise as they aren't much used to Royal events at the best of times.

by Anonymousreply 74September 17, 2022 5:47 PM

Vigil of the grandchildren starts around the 10:00 mark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 17, 2022 5:55 PM

I can't help noticing in R75's link that they now have Viscount Severn in a suitcoat whose sleeves are too *short* (despite fitting otherwise), and in a shirt whose cuffs almost cover his hands. Did they hastily alter one of Edward's old coats?

by Anonymousreply 76September 17, 2022 6:15 PM

How long will the grandchildren keep vigil?

by Anonymousreply 77September 17, 2022 6:21 PM

They never give the poor lad a winter coat to go to church at Christmas either, just a flimsy jacket.

by Anonymousreply 78September 17, 2022 6:22 PM

I note the Sussexes were nowhere to be found, although other members of the family gathered to watch the vigil. Kate and William had another engagement, but not the Sussexes. It's obvious that if they aren't centre-stage, they don't feel the need to put themselves out.

by Anonymousreply 79September 17, 2022 6:25 PM

^*Never mind - I couldn't see Harry in the first photo, but I see he was there.

by Anonymousreply 80September 17, 2022 6:30 PM

Grandchildren vigil:

William at Head of Coffin

Harry at Foot of Coffin

Zara and Peter at the front corners

Beatrice and Eugenie at the rear corners

Louise and James each in the middle on one of the sides

by Anonymousreply 81September 17, 2022 6:33 PM

R77 Fifteen minutes.

by Anonymousreply 82September 17, 2022 6:36 PM

William should never take his military hat off…it’s like Thor’s hammer but instead of giving him strength he gets his good looks back.

by Anonymousreply 83September 17, 2022 6:57 PM

r83, Yes he looks great in his uniform and cap!

by Anonymousreply 84September 17, 2022 6:58 PM

[quote] David Beckham queues 12 hours to pay respects..

The cunt probably thinks the gesture will finally get him the knighthood he craves.

by Anonymousreply 85September 17, 2022 7:01 PM

If he keeps the tats up he'll look like he's covered in his own suit of armour.

by Anonymousreply 86September 17, 2022 7:03 PM

A Swiss tribute in the sky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87September 17, 2022 8:08 PM

Oh yikes

by Anonymousreply 88September 17, 2022 8:10 PM

Did the granddaughters all agree to wear hatbands instead of hats? Doing so shows their faces even with head bowed, but a hat offers more privacy. It was so organized, they must have rehearsed in a private space.

by Anonymousreply 89September 17, 2022 8:18 PM

Zara got stuck with Hapless Harry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90September 17, 2022 8:20 PM

r89, yes, it must have been practiced to take so many steps each way and so on. That was really why I didn't think the "grandchildren" story was true.

by Anonymousreply 91September 17, 2022 8:22 PM

What spry was that r91?

by Anonymousreply 92September 17, 2022 8:36 PM

^ hah story.

by Anonymousreply 93September 17, 2022 8:37 PM

[quote] The cunt probably thinks the gesture will finally get him the knighthood he craves.

Or maybe he just wanted to pay respects to someone he was raised to admire by his grandparents - now deceased. His grandparents are the ones he brought to the palace when the Queen awarded him his OBE.

Whether Beckham gets a knighthood or not will have nothing to do with this. If he doesn't have one by now, then there is another reason for it - like maybe his work with Qatar or other issues - and when those are resolved he'll probably get one.

I thought this was a lovely thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 94September 17, 2022 8:43 PM

I bet Zara takes no shit from Harry. She is her mother's daughter. Unlike Harry, she has actually accomplished something in life being an Olympian with a silver medal.

by Anonymousreply 95September 17, 2022 8:45 PM

r92 the story that there would be a grandchild vigil. None of this is historic, Itwas done for George V as he had enough sons to do a "Vigil of the Princes". With Queen Mother, she was ancient so they did it with grandsons. It Isn't a "tradition" and when it was done it was just rather last night, as in taking the military role.

This is ridiculous and a bit embarrassing. Poor grandkids like Zara etc, having to play statues while public mourners are walking through. Maybe they chose it? I fucking wouldn't do that for anyone.

by Anonymousreply 96September 17, 2022 8:54 PM

R96 it was very moving, more so than the Princes' Vigil. The Wessex kids were impressive.

by Anonymousreply 97September 17, 2022 8:58 PM

I agree that it was moving. Walking past the catafalque must have been impressive enough for a British person, but to see all eight grandchildren standing around it like a living sepulchral monument, heads bowed, gives an impression of grandeur mixed with vulnerability that they won't forget soon. I'm kind of MARYing here, but it was a piece of pageantry I thought they really pulled off.

by Anonymousreply 98September 17, 2022 9:13 PM

R97, the Wessex family and the Tindalls are my favourites of the royal clan. I don’t know much about Peter Phillips so can’t really comment. The Sussexes could have gone the way of the Tindalls. I always wondered why they didn’t and Mike and Zara really do seem to have the best of both worlds. The Wessexes seem to work quietly in the background have had garnered growing respect over the years.

by Anonymousreply 99September 17, 2022 9:15 PM

I noticed when the "Grandchildren Vigil" was over and the eight of them were going up the stairs of Westminster Hall, Zara Tindall seemed to have dropped something and had to step down a step to retrieve it. All of the others behind her had to stop until she found whatever she lost. I thought they were going to tumble down the stairs.

by Anonymousreply 100September 17, 2022 9:20 PM

I think she lost her shoe r100.

by Anonymousreply 101September 17, 2022 9:22 PM

Very moving to see the Grandchildren's Vigil and probably especially for the people who were able to be that close to them including the next King. Most people will never be that close before or again.

I also think it was lovely to see Edward and Sophie watching over their children still in their teens. And that the grandchildren and children could see the people paying tribute. If they thought this was going to move fast perhaps they didn't take into account that almost everyone pauses and bows or curtsies or genuflects in some way. This has not been just some quick walk-by. These people for the most part are taking this to heart and showing it.

Zara and Peter still the all-time genetic champs in that family. And, I agree, Zara seems like she would be formidable.

by Anonymousreply 102September 17, 2022 9:22 PM

R99 the Wessexes actually tried the half in half out model and it blew up in their faces #sheikhgate . They were then brought back into the firm .

by Anonymousreply 103September 17, 2022 9:24 PM

It just occurred to me that each of the queen’s children had two children.

by Anonymousreply 104September 17, 2022 9:29 PM

I didn't notice Zara's she-dropping. If this were ancient Rome we'd get a whole chapter from Suetonius about how the soothsayers interpreted that.

[quote]Solea amissa alii dixerunt Zaræ regnum cessurum, quamvis necopinato, quia cum recepisset eam ceteros quidem principes impedivisset, alii autem totam domum regnum perdituram id portendere, ut diræ a Diana quondam denuntiatæ explerentur, et inde rumores usque increbruerunt ....

by Anonymousreply 105September 17, 2022 9:47 PM

*shoe* dropping

by Anonymousreply 106September 17, 2022 9:52 PM

Conversation between Harry and Zara on the way to Westminster:

H: Quite a crowd

Z: Yes, grannie was beloved. Seeing the really does help deal with the sadness.

H: Why does Mike think I'm a bellend? Did he really say that? It hurt my feelings.

by Anonymousreply 107September 17, 2022 10:26 PM

[quote]I'm kind of MARYing here, but it was a piece of pageantry I thought they really pulled off.

Agreed; what's the "banging" between shifts? The pageantry is very well orchestrated, particularly for the younger grandkids, but I'm just wondering what's the significance of the noises between the changing of the guard

by Anonymousreply 108September 17, 2022 10:35 PM

Audio cues, r108. Not everyone is within the other’s line of sight so it keeps time and let’s people know to move to the next step.

by Anonymousreply 109September 17, 2022 10:37 PM

Who really gives a flying fuck about who wears the uniform?

by Anonymousreply 110September 17, 2022 10:41 PM

Well, you could always start with the men who've died wearing it.

by Anonymousreply 111September 17, 2022 10:44 PM

R103, but not without a lot of penance. Sophie had to apologize, write notes of apology to the RF members she wronged and then be humble and patient. She was clearly sorry, so she was able to repair the situation, but it took time as well as contrition.

by Anonymousreply 112September 17, 2022 10:45 PM

Ah, thank you R109, that makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 113September 17, 2022 10:45 PM

Telegraph confirms: Zara lost a shoe.

by Anonymousreply 114September 17, 2022 10:54 PM

The Globe and Mail suggests that Trudeau should have waited hours in line to pay his respects to the Queen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115September 18, 2022 12:30 AM

A friend just sent me TIME Magazine's schedule of the funeral and how Americans can watch, with a text that said to pour myself a stiff G&T.

It referred to Kate as Princess Catherine (which she has never been and never will be), and to William as (wait for it) DUKE of Wales.

Yes, chickens: TIME Magazine referred to the Prince of Wales as the Duke of Wales. Of course, one would think that if William WERE, then his wife would be the Duchess of Wales. But, somehow, she is Princess Catherine and he is the Duke of Wales.

I expect this from the local postal clerk in Peoria. But not from TIME Magazine.

The ignorance Americans show of how a hereditary monarchy works, why it works that way, what role it plays in the structure of the ship of state, what it can do and what it cannot do, and why Harry and Meghan can't be treated the way William and Kate are, can't be overstated when TIME Magazine refers to the newly minted Prince of Wales as the Duke of Wales.

It isn't as if the title Prince of Wales is exactly a little known position.

It's been an iconic, romantic, and massively prestigious title for hundreds of years. Charles as Prince of Wales was deemed the world's most eligible bachelor. He held the title for 64 years.

by Anonymousreply 116September 18, 2022 1:03 AM

Americans always know best, R116. Even when they don’t.

by Anonymousreply 117September 18, 2022 1:22 AM

Especially when they don't. That's when the heels really dig in. Here anyway.

by Anonymousreply 118September 18, 2022 1:24 AM

R116, I think that’s fake. I looked at Time.com and didn’t see anything like that at all.

by Anonymousreply 119September 18, 2022 1:25 AM

^oops no sooner do I post at r119 than i see Time magazine got it wrong. Apparently they don’t have a fact checker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120September 18, 2022 1:28 AM

The problem with making everybody whoever they are standing line it the need for security all around them. It would be ridiculous. Both the cost and the logistics make it entirely impractical.

by Anonymousreply 121September 18, 2022 2:12 AM

R116 Americans are amazingly ignorant about everything. No doubt that's why Meghan's demented fanclub thinks if they trash Kate then Meghan will be Kween.

by Anonymousreply 122September 18, 2022 3:45 AM

R122, amazing rude… sorry we don’t know the intricacies of the stupid titles of the royal family. We know our senators and congressman, who actually do have a say in running the country. Do you know ours?

by Anonymousreply 123September 18, 2022 4:45 AM

The prime minister of Cananda should have waited in line. Queue jumping is for telly gods like me.

by Anonymousreply 124September 18, 2022 4:50 AM

Some British people on here are really embarrassing us r123. I've seen people ask perfectly reasonable questions and get shot down and it is rude. I get confused with the way US elections work, , I would never expect people from outside the UK to know all about how UK systems work.

by Anonymousreply 125September 18, 2022 4:57 AM

[quote] Whether Beckham gets a knighthood or not will have nothing to do with this. If he doesn't have one by now, then there is another reason for it - like maybe his work with Qatar

Neither the British government nor the Royal family have any problem with Qatar. Or Beckham's "work" there. Billions of pounds in investments in the Brit economy, lavish presents of jewels, objects d'art and horses to the Royal family insures both that the Brit government turns a blind eye to the oppressive, misogynist, homo-murdering al-Thanis, and that they are welcome guests of the late Queen at Ascot and Windsor. The al-Thanis and senior members of other ruling Gulf Muslim despots will be present at the Queen's funeral on Monday.

by Anonymousreply 126September 18, 2022 5:07 AM

[quote]The ignorance Americans show of how a hereditary monarchy works, why it works that way, what role it plays in the structure of the ship of state, what it can do and what it cannot do, and why Harry and Meghan can't be treated the way William and Kate are, can't be overstated when TIME Magazine refers to the newly minted Prince of Wales as the Duke of Wales.

America and the media in general revel in being clueless about other countries and their traditions. Yes, we get it - America used to be ruled by a monarchy & we broke a way - BFD! It's like they want to push this narrative that "we don't monarchies because we're all equal here in the good ole USA!" when that is clearly rubbish.

by Anonymousreply 127September 18, 2022 9:49 AM

We’re not clueless r127. We just don’t like monarchies. Anything wrong with having an opinion?

by Anonymousreply 128September 18, 2022 1:41 PM

I've come to a point of view about people in the last week, because, yes, everybody is entitled to their own opinion and people being people some opinions are based on better information than others.

What I think is wrong is disrespect and rudeness in their most extreme and intolerant forms. It's like the woke professor wishing the Queen pain and suffering in her death. Or DLers calling her an old cunt or rushing to bury the old bitch. That is not necessary. It contributes nothing. There actually is a better time to disagree but there's never a good time to demean. It reflects a coarseness in us and a desire borne I guess of frustration or cynicism or futility - I don't know what - but some dark part of us that really wants to hurt others. We now don't want just the freedom to have different points of view but feel a mentally and even spiritually unhealthy need to attack and demean and offend people with different opinions than our own. I have found myself swept up in it too, particularly here. I don't like it, in myself or in others.

I have enjoyed most of the comments here since the death of the Queen but what I haven't has cemented my decision I am going to leave DL, because when it's ugly it's weapons grade, MAGA level intelligence ugly. I remember once searching Datalounge on Twitter and even fucking Twitter was scathing in its assessment of this place. I was embarrassed. So long, get a blog way of saying I'm get out of DL and gonna pull pack generally on the internet - no more reading the comments on the newspaper sites, definitely no more Twitter. Like water can wear a groove in a stone over time, drip, drip, drip, so can all this unhinged cyber interaction and exposure can wear you down. Ideas are important, people, in real time, are important and that's where I've resolved to spend the majority of my time. Take care of yourselves, those who can turn it around. That it's "just here" isn't an explanation, it's an excuse.

by Anonymousreply 129September 18, 2022 2:14 PM

[quote] We just don’t like monarchies. Anything wrong with having an opinion?

Are we talking Henry VIII or a modern Constitutional Monarchy? You do know there is a difference?

by Anonymousreply 130September 18, 2022 2:17 PM

[quote] I have enjoyed most of the comments here since the death of the Queen but what I haven't has cemented my decision I am going to leave DL, because when it's ugly it's weapons grade, MAGA level intelligence ugly.

R130, if you're still here, I'm right out the door after you. You put so eloquently my reasons, too.

Not that anybody will notice or care, nor should they, but, I made the decision over the past year, that, assuming I outlive Q E II, I'd take my leave of the DL.

Over the past 20 or so years, it's given me so much laughter, pain, intelligence, and it's still the best place for breaking news, er, excuse me, "Bearking News".

But, its clientele has changed. I'm older, and we don't fit in with each other anymore.

Plainly stated, it's too much work to avoid the Reich-Wing Trumpers who've just about taken over the place. The bigots too.

Funny thing is, my annual subscription hasn't run out, so, when major news breaks, I'll still be checking in, but only Anonymously until my subscription is gassed.

by Anonymousreply 131September 18, 2022 2:31 PM

I'd take my leave of the DL after her funeral.

by Anonymousreply 132September 18, 2022 2:32 PM

Della, (R131) more than once I've messaged you to say we're exactly on side. We think alike. I wish we could have been able to communicate privately. I wish you all good things. I go after tomorrow, so presumably we'll be largely agreeing until then!

by Anonymousreply 133September 18, 2022 2:39 PM

Verklempt, r133, seriously.

Q E II and now you.

I'm going full MARY! by posting this, but so what

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134September 18, 2022 2:45 PM

Sorry to hear, Della.

by Anonymousreply 135September 18, 2022 2:50 PM

R130. A monarchy is a monarchy and we don’t like them. It’s very simple. Doesn’t matter if it’s Henry VIII or QEII.

“A monarchy is a form of government in which a person, the monarch, is head of state for life or until abdication. The political legitimacy and authority of the monarch may vary from restricted and largely symbolic (constitutional monarchy), to fully autocratic (absolute monarchy), and can expand across the domains of the executive, legislative, and judicial.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136September 18, 2022 2:54 PM

Thanks, r135.

by Anonymousreply 137September 18, 2022 2:55 PM

Well, I just paid $1.99 for a one-month DL membership (after cancelling my yearly one), so I think I’ll stick around for awhile, but I’m with you r129 and Della. I don’t know why so many people here are uncivil, and, worse, I’ve allowed myself sometimes to get caught up in it. The blatant racism is very troubling, as is the right wing nuttery from posters who SWEAR they aren’t.

I abandoned Facebook because of the trolls. I really am disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 138September 18, 2022 2:59 PM

I hope we get to see all the world leaders and the reaction to them. Bolsanaro had a reasonably large group of Brazilian fans as he arrived at the Embassy. Maybe they were planted who knows.

by Anonymousreply 139September 18, 2022 3:02 PM

Della you’re not alone. Signing off with my name check which I stopped doing long ago.

by Anonymousreply 140September 18, 2022 3:20 PM

Bolsonaro is just as repugnant as Trump, but the government is obligated to invite him as a sitting president. Imagine the rudeness in the room if he, Trump, and Berlusconi were in office at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 141September 18, 2022 3:21 PM

The Bidens pay their respect to the Queen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142September 18, 2022 4:06 PM

The King and Queen of Spain pay their respects.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143September 18, 2022 4:07 PM

The Vigil guards taking a break from their duties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144September 18, 2022 4:07 PM

Even their La-Z-Boys are fancy!

by Anonymousreply 145September 18, 2022 4:12 PM

^Literally, men in tights! They're not a young bunch - I would think standing for extended periods of time in heavy costume/uniform (whatever the correct term is) must be tough.

by Anonymousreply 146September 18, 2022 4:16 PM

The Queue only has about thirteen hours left to live. Godspeed, Queue.

by Anonymousreply 147September 18, 2022 4:20 PM

Brace yourselves, come Tuesday (at the latest) the republicans and the malcontents will really let rip. Owen Jones must have that face by now that you've got when you're running to the can and wondering if you'll make it.

by Anonymousreply 148September 18, 2022 4:22 PM

Whatever you think about the monarchy (in whatever form, in whatever country), it occurred to me as I was watching the Jubilee celebration that as much as they were celebrating the Queen, you could also see their love & pride in the country that had nothing to do with any politician/political movement, etc. It unified the rural Scottish, for example, with the elite Londoners - no matter how different their lives, the Queen was still *their* Queen. It would be nice to have a single, non-political entity that represents your country, but doesn't necessarily try to direct its citizens.

by Anonymousreply 149September 18, 2022 4:23 PM

LOL:

Keep apart leaders who hate one another, watch what you feed them and make sure that President Macron is near the front to avoid “a hissy fit”.

This is the advice from former senior diplomats as Buckingham Palace and the Foreign Office try to accommodate perhaps the largest gathering of world leaders since the funeral of George VI.

Lord Renwick, who served as British ambassador to the United States in the early 1990s, said that he felt sorry for the head of protocol at the Foreign Office responsible for avoiding an incident as dignitaries gather in London.

He said that while seating crowned heads of royal families was governed by a clear order of precedence determined by length of reign, other world leaders were treated according to how sensitive they were.

“You can pretend it’s alphabetical order but it’s not,” Renwick said. “Biden isn’t very ego-driven but he’s going to be near the front. Macron [the president of France] would have hysterics if he wasn’t given a place of honour. Olaf Scholz [the chancellor of Germany] wouldn’t care. You’ve got to say to yourself: ‘Who is going to have a hissy fit?’”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150September 18, 2022 4:31 PM

To R130, Della and anyone else sharing their views, I've been on DL for a long time. Don't really post all that often, but your comments about the change in atmosphere are quite correct.

I have frequently had to remind myself of a quote that I have found quite useful...

[quote] You don't have to attend every fight that you're invited to.

The few times I have replied to a nastiness aimed at me or one of my posts, I have regretted it because I failed to follow the adage above.

Instead, I have a very long list of "Ignored" posters.

A difference of opinion? Fine.

A legitimate question? Sure.

Doubts about a story, claim or the existence of same? OK. I'll try to find the link.

But nasty for the nastiness - Ignored.

The SS attackers - Ignored.

I don't want or come here for an echo chamber, but keep it civil. If you can't, as far as my experience here, POOF, you cease to exist.

Sadly, I think those who cherish their or others' ugliness have driven away so much of the good gossip. But then, apparently, that's not why they came here.

by Anonymousreply 151September 18, 2022 5:07 PM

[quote] Sadly, I think those who cherish their or others' ugliness have driven away so much of the good gossip. But then, apparently, that's not why they came here.

Agreed, r151.

Since the Hillary v. Trump days, it's been noticeable that right-wing bigots/Trumpers have deliberately invaded and then stayed.

You can correctly point out that the DL always has had its resident Republicans. I know because I've been here since before "Peg" appeared during the Presidential campaigns of Bush v. John Kerry.

I kinda got a kick out of Peg, because, while she was dead wrong on her views, she had a flair to her writing and put-downs. She at least was entertaining.

Now, it's just too much work to find a good discussion, for not much pay-off.

by Anonymousreply 152September 18, 2022 5:25 PM

I find the left as bad as the right not for intolerance and incivility. I am weary of everything and my long list of blocks slows the site down! Agreed, Della, a burden and too much work because while far, far, far from a perfect person as I age I find principle matters to me more and more and so many of the people here... I am here for like minds until the end of the day tomorrow and then nobody forces you to stay, eh?

by Anonymousreply 153September 18, 2022 6:11 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154September 18, 2022 6:11 PM

I will be sad to see you go Della. I looked forward to your generally reasoned, often eloquent responses and comments as it pertains to the Sussexes. I'm definitely not a fan of theirs but agree some of the responses are over the top for what is essentially a prime time soap opera. That includes the Klan Granny troll besides the trolls making funs of the kids. As far as the racial angle goes, Meghan uses that but we don't have to play into her hands. Please stick around Della, don't let the boors drive you away.

by Anonymousreply 155September 18, 2022 7:21 PM

In a tradition dating to the funeral of Queen Victoria, the 123-year-old carriage will carry the Queen’s coffin and be pulled by 98 Royal Navy sailors — rather than horses — from Westminster Hall to Westminster Abbey on Monday. She will be carried inside by as many as eight pallbearers.

He said the carriage was given to the navy by Edward VII and it had preserved it ever since. Built in 1899 for the standard light field gun of the army at the time, it was converted into a ceremonial gun carriage by fitting a catafalque — a raised platform with horizontal rollers for moving a coffin.

On the day of Queen Victoria’s funeral in 1901, her coffin was to be carried on the gun carriage through the streets of Windsor but in the bitter cold of February the horses that were going to pull it panicked and reared up, threatening to topple the coffin.

Prince Louis of Battenberg — the future first sea lord and Lord Mountbatten’s father — suggested to the new monarch, Edward VII, that the Royal Navy intervene. The King agreed and within five minutes the horses had been unharnessed and improvised ropes attached, allowing sailors to haul the carriage and coffin.

By the time of the King’s funeral nine years later, the drill had been formalised and the honour of hauling the carriage has remained with the Royal Navy since.

It is now kept under environmentally controlled conditions between 16C and 20C and at humidity of between 40 per cent and 70 per cent to prevent it becoming dry and brittle, and to stop fungal growth.

For Commander Steve Elliott, 49, who will be marching in front of the gun carriage, it is his final duty in uniform. He said: “This will mark the end of 32-year service in the Royal Navy for me and my last job in uniform is to convey Her Majesty from Westminster Abbey back to the outside of Buckingham Palace before the onward move to Windsor Castle, which as a last duty I could perform for my Queen and my country it’s a bit emotional. It’s an amazing honour.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156September 18, 2022 7:24 PM

Saw some footage of the Queen lying in state earlier and was taken aback by how emotional many people looked as they bowed at the coffin. It was a diverse crowd, too - people of all races and ages.

by Anonymousreply 157September 18, 2022 8:57 PM

Prince George and Princess Charlotte face the biggest moment of their young lives on Monday when they walk behind the late Queen’s coffin as it is carried into Westminster Abbey for her funeral.

Buckingham Palace announced Sunday night that Her Majesty’s great-grandchildren, aged nine and seven, would join the procession down the nave at the start of the service. They will walk behind their parents the Prince and Princess of Wales and in front of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, reflecting their place in the line of succession.

The Prince and Princess of Wales are understood to have thought “very carefully” ahead of the funeral about whether to involve their two elder children, who called the late Queen “Gan Gan”.

Sources noted that they took them to the Duke of Edinburgh’s memorial service at the Abbey in March, where they coped well in the spotlight.

Both children will also be in the congregation at the committal service at St George’s Chapel, Windsor, which starts at 4pm. A decision about whether to include them in the procession at Windsor will be made nearer the time, depending on how they feel following the earlier event.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158September 18, 2022 9:39 PM

^ Let's hope Charlotte doesn't act up!

by Anonymousreply 159September 18, 2022 9:58 PM

Aw damn, Prince Louis isn't coming!

I wanted to see what the hell he'd do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160September 18, 2022 9:58 PM

Prince Louis is not to be seen in public until his 21st birthday for reasons very well known to him.

by Anonymousreply 161September 18, 2022 10:03 PM

[quote] They will walk behind their parents the Prince and Princess of Wales and in front of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex

Oh, that's got to smart! Walking behind a couple of kids!

by Anonymousreply 162September 18, 2022 10:22 PM

No way would I let Harry's wife anywhere near Charlotte or George.

by Anonymousreply 163September 18, 2022 10:23 PM

Am I the only one who is rather upset at the fact that voluntary workers have been required to give water, soup and blankets to those who are waiting to see queen Elizabeth's casket, but no one could care any less about the legions of homeless people in London, who normally only receive aggresions and harassment from the authorities? I do understand that this is a historical event and it has some cultural relevancy, but we ought to be ashamed of giving so much importance to the death of a person whose only legacy will be an idealized, postcard like vision of Britain, while thousands are dying of exposure and hunger in the streets, many more are going to food banks because they cannot afford to feed their families, and yet many more won't be able to afford to pay their gas and electricity bills this winter.

In this context, I think that a little bit of restraint would have worked wonders. Also, I think it's outrageous that many members of royal families and heads of state have agreed to fly commercial and arrive in buses, but that senile pervert Biden, the fatuous clown Macron and the depraved slave traders from the Gulf "monarchies" have arrived in private planes, while demanding to be allowed to arrive with a huge entourage of bodybuards in cars. Who do these people think they are? I cannot imagine anyone being so lacking in class and sense of propriety.

Anyway, it would be nice if there could be a bit less coverage of this. It's reaching the point of collective hysteria and we need to go back to seeing far more pressing matters than an overprivileged old lady's passing - especially because she never gave a damn about any of the people who are reacting as if they had lost a close family member. We ought to remember that for Elizabeth, the world was divided into 3 categories of people: herself as the monarch, her family and the rest of mortals. We're hardly talking about Louise of Savoy, who gave her entire fortune to feed and provide assistance to the poorest members of society, are we?

by Anonymousreply 164September 18, 2022 10:23 PM

I'm sure that George and Charlotte have been told not to talk to Uncle Harry and Aunt Meg. Or to react to anything they hear them say, just to tell mum and dad about it later.

by Anonymousreply 165September 18, 2022 10:27 PM

[quote]Oh, that's got to smart! Walking behind a couple of kids!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166September 18, 2022 10:29 PM

R164 is a well-known, pro-Russian troll. Best to block her rantings and move on.

by Anonymousreply 167September 18, 2022 10:32 PM

I'd bet my 401K that at some point, Harry claims he had PTSD symptoms from being "forced" to walk in these funeral processions, or seeing his brothers kids do so.

by Anonymousreply 168September 18, 2022 10:32 PM

For anyone in the US/Canada: who is getting up at 4:00 AM ET to watch the funeral? I don't necessarily want to watch the funeral - I can catch the highlights on social media later - but I would like to watch everyone process in.

I remember as a kid, my whole family (minus my grumpy dad) getting up to watch Chuck & Di get married.

by Anonymousreply 169September 18, 2022 10:33 PM

R164, what you're seeing in London is not hysteria by any definition. But cheer up, back to normal Tuesday. I hope you have rended all your garments, Jeremy.

by Anonymousreply 170September 18, 2022 10:34 PM

[QUOTE]but no one could care any less about the legions of homeless people in London,

I didn't realize London doesn't have any social service organizations to help the homeless or drop in kitchens and food banks. A real shame for a first world country and world power. Even the shitty U.S. riven by Trumpian MAGA hatred for the poor and disenfranchised (and the libs) have such resources for the homeless, however paltry they may be.

by Anonymousreply 171September 18, 2022 10:37 PM

🙉 MYOFB !

by Anonymousreply 172September 18, 2022 10:39 PM

[quote]while thousands are dying of exposure and hunger in the street

Even the Guardian is in on the conspiracy to ignore this epic tragedy. I can'y find a single story about thousands are dying of exposure and hunger in the street.

by Anonymousreply 173September 18, 2022 10:40 PM

😂 R171 And you know this to be true because you read it on the internet?

by Anonymousreply 174September 18, 2022 10:42 PM

R164 It’s all a bit much. I’m a fairly consistent royal watcher but this is all ridiculous. I can’t figure out why so many people are drawn to see her lying in state. Maybe it’s just that chance to be part of a historical event in some small way.

by Anonymousreply 175September 18, 2022 10:45 PM

Congratulations, r174. You receive today's humor-impairment and impervious to sarcasm awards! 🏆🏅

by Anonymousreply 176September 18, 2022 10:48 PM

[quote]For anyone in the US/Canada: who is getting up at 4:00 AM ET to watch the funeral? I don't necessarily want to watch the funeral - I can catch the highlights on social media later - but I would like to watch everyone process in.

I've got the DVR set to record. I don't plan on setting the alarm to wake up to watch, but I sometimes wake up around 5am anyway, so I'll probably watch if I do. I work from home, so may watch while working (depending on what I'm doing)

by Anonymousreply 177September 18, 2022 10:53 PM

There isn't enough funding for the homeless in the UK, and there are many people who die every winter. However, COVID restrictions and the current energy crisis have made things MUCH worse. There are people who cannot afford to cook food because their incomes are so limited that they cannot pay their energy bills, food banks have seen donations drop to historical minimums due to inflation and there are people seriously struggling as it is, R171. Your sarcasm is misplaced, as is the nonsense written by R173.

I can see that I am wasting my time, so I'll leave this thread - however, I'd like to thank R170 for mentioning the exemplary Jeremy Corbyn, who should be our Prime Minister. Thank you for acknowledging his competence as a politician and level of compromise with the cause of solving poverty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178September 18, 2022 10:54 PM

Me too, r177. I’ll have it playing on the iPad next to my computer.

by Anonymousreply 179September 18, 2022 10:58 PM

Macron and his elderly ghoulish wife give me the creeps.

by Anonymousreply 180September 18, 2022 11:02 PM

I have the patience of a child when it comes to church services (think of an elder gay ready to jump out of his skin like little Louis at Jubilee festivities), so I'm going to satisfy myself with pictures, highlight clips, and DL live commentary.

I think the Wales children are old enough to handle attending. It would seem odd, even to them, to be excluded from a celebration of their grandmother's life and kept away from something so enormous and historic. They don't have to deal with ridiculous stuff like an open casket viewing like a lot of Catholic kids do at the same age (I was one of them) The ceremony where the casket is lowered into a vault may be a bit much and nightmare inducing, but it sounds like that's up in the air depending on how they cope.

by Anonymousreply 181September 18, 2022 11:06 PM

I was taken to open casket funerals at six years old. Italian funerals with lots of wailing.

George and Charlotte will be fine at the civilized, wail-free closed casket funeral.

by Anonymousreply 182September 18, 2022 11:10 PM

R164 - Yes, you're the only one.

by Anonymousreply 183September 18, 2022 11:13 PM

I’m getting up early, as I did for Di’s wedding and every other event after. It’s my own personal tradition.

by Anonymousreply 184September 18, 2022 11:19 PM

R169 My friends on the east coast are getting up at 4am. They live in Rockland County, but do most of their shopping in northern New Jersey, for reasons I'm unclear about.

The wife shared a funny story today. She went to Whole Foods to get scones and Devon cream for the morning marathon. Closter, NJ, I think? Anyway, she got a box of scones ("I should have made them myself," she said glumly, "these are pathetic".) but could not find the Devon cream anywhere in the dairy section. Finally, she asked one of the clerks behind the cheese counter if they carried it. "We do not, Ma'am," he said firmly.

She turned away and glanced up at the shelf to her right, where two small jars of Devon cream stood staring down at her, Union Jack proudly visible. She picked it up and turned back to the clerk holding it up so they could see the Union Jack: "Actually, you do," she said.

Disgusted at their ignorance, she went to the checkout line. There, however, as she laid the two items down, the clerk said, "Are you getting these for the QUEEN?!"

"Well, yes," Kathleen replied. "Well, I think that's lovely!" the clerk said.

So go figure. It's a mixed bag everywhere.

They also reported that the Tappan Zee Bridge lights were purple and silver the night of the day the Queen died.

by Anonymousreply 185September 18, 2022 11:25 PM

[quote]For anyone in the US/Canada: who is getting up at 4:00 AM ET to watch the funeral?

I’ll be up at 02:00 Pacific, in BC, to watch the BBC feed, R169! My parents are English (Scousers) - they emigrated to Canada shortly before I was born - and though they’re indifferent to the monarchy and the Church, I just can’t help but feel connected to the traditions (though I’m still an atheist!) This will be a spectacle and a historic event, and I’m here for it.

by Anonymousreply 186September 18, 2022 11:31 PM

Oh shit, R185 - I made scones yesterday; I suppose I can make more this evening (it’s not as if they’re difficult). It’s a bit late to make Cornish-style clotted cream though (my grandmother was a Cornish inbred). Butter and strawberry jam - and tea! - will have to do. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187September 18, 2022 11:44 PM

Don't you people ever watch East enders ?

England DOES have a welfare system.

by Anonymousreply 188September 18, 2022 11:53 PM

[quote]I can see that I am wasting my time, so I'll leave this thread

Aw, jeez and your lectures are so interesting too.

by Anonymousreply 189September 18, 2022 11:56 PM

The Bidens have landed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190September 19, 2022 12:05 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191September 19, 2022 12:24 AM

I think it’s entirely appropriate for the kids to attend the funeral, but putting them in the procession like little show ponies is a little gross to me, especially after hearing both William and Harry mention how upsetting that experience was for them at an older age.

by Anonymousreply 192September 19, 2022 12:28 AM

All I can say is that I’m sure all of them can’t wait until it’s over already.

by Anonymousreply 193September 19, 2022 12:31 AM

I'd like to see the BBC end their funeral coverage tomorrow by playing the last minute or so of this speech Princess Elizabeth made for Children's Hour in 1940.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194September 19, 2022 12:37 AM

Labour MP Clive Lewis wrote that he watched the lying-in-state and felt “bemusement” followed by “despair”. How can Britons who have so little worship a monarchy so dripping in wealth?

But the problem with clever people like Mr Lewis is that they can’t understand simple things. Nor can they intuit the deeper meaning.

Let’s call it what it is: a pilgrimage. The body has been returned to the people; the people have come to see it, drawn by belief, by spectacle or raw instinct. The poverty of the 21st-century imagination betrays the dead and the living. Tradition honours with awe, and it provides those left behind with the language and actions to articulate the inexpressible.

The person who willingly submits to the ritual of the lying-in-state, argued Chesterton, “may not be an exceptional person but at least he understands what is meant by an exceptional occasion.” By contrast, the bright spark who stands above it all forfeits the wisdom of the crowd, and by rejecting history, discards a part of themselves, too – so that they are ignorant even of their own identity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195September 19, 2022 12:41 AM

A million thank you's r191 !!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 196September 19, 2022 1:32 AM

Interesting choice for the front page from The Times.

I don't think Murdoch cares for Chaz

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197September 19, 2022 1:48 AM

Yes, they both look too happy and a bit silly. There must have been better photos available.

And Truss is dressed like a sister wife!

by Anonymousreply 198September 19, 2022 2:08 AM

Same here r184.

Many thanks to r191 for posting the orders of service for tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 199September 19, 2022 2:37 AM

I missed this in all of the info going back and forth, but how is she getting to Windsor? Also, the service is starting very late—4pm—does anyone know how long it will be?

by Anonymousreply 200September 19, 2022 2:45 AM

r200 The BBC have a pretty in depth timetable

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201September 19, 2022 2:48 AM

Thanks r201! That’s a great summary. I don’t know why I thought the Westminster Abbey service was later, I got it confused with the service at Windsor I guess.

by Anonymousreply 202September 19, 2022 2:54 AM

Can we *please* try to have one official funeral thread tomorrow? If we can be organized on Oscar night, surely we can do it for the queen. It’s what she would have wanted.

I guess I’ll see you bitches at 4am Eastern time, God help me.

by Anonymousreply 203September 19, 2022 3:08 AM

I was planning to get up and watch some, but now I'm not so sure. I wonder what would be the best time to watch just the arrivals at the Abbey.

by Anonymousreply 204September 19, 2022 3:11 AM

The Queen will be pulled, actually, by 98 navy men, on a old gun carriage from Westminster Abbey to Admirals Arch in central London. There she'll be transferred to the royal hearse, and driven out to Windsor for the committal service.

by Anonymousreply 205September 19, 2022 3:17 AM

See you all here at 5:00 AM eastern tomorrow. R203 I don't think the main action starts until then. I have to be at work by 10:00 so will continue to watch the rest and post from there.

by Anonymousreply 206September 19, 2022 3:18 AM

Meghan is practicing her big breakdown moment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207September 19, 2022 3:26 AM

Good morning Datalounge!

Showtime starts in 3 hours 10 min. Doors at Westminster Abbey open at 08:00 London time for guests to begin arriving. The main show starts 11:00. Live feeds are available on BBC, Daily Mail and Sky News (Youtube). At 10:44 London time, the late Queen's coffin with be transported from Westminster Hall to the Abbey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208September 19, 2022 3:49 AM

Weather forecast for London, today 19 Sept: Mostly cloudy, 17C high.

by Anonymousreply 209September 19, 2022 4:02 AM

[quote] Louise of Savoy, who gave her entire fortune to feed and provide assistance to the poorest members of society

COMMUNIST BITCH.

by Anonymousreply 210September 19, 2022 7:12 AM

The Funeral of Queen Elizabeth II thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211September 19, 2022 7:13 AM

R178 Jeremy Corbyn as our next Prime Minister lol, oh my sides. He failed dismally as a labour leader, he led the party to their worst ever election defeat. Get over it and go do some volunteering in a food shelter or something.

We are here to celebrate the life and funeral of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, and you are sucking the life out of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 212September 19, 2022 7:38 AM

R212 Thank you! Totally agree.

Did anyone else see the double rainbow that emerged over Buck House last night as the reception got under way?

And, it is 9:20 here, the doors of the Westminster Palace are about to close here, guests beginning to arrive.

Gentleman, start your engines!

by Anonymousreply 213September 19, 2022 8:22 AM

Brigitte Macron looks like his grandmother in that pillbox.

by Anonymousreply 214September 19, 2022 8:59 AM

Good lord, the Bidens are holding hands.

What is that about?!

by Anonymousreply 215September 19, 2022 9:08 AM

Wee Nic arriving. One wonders if she's looking around and realising that the Scots may not want to detach themselves from all this, after all?

by Anonymousreply 216September 19, 2022 9:16 AM

OMG what the fuck is Carrie Johnson wearing?!

Look at the decolletage and the buttons.

Totally unsuitable.

by Anonymousreply 217September 19, 2022 9:19 AM

And what the fuck is that glitter around Cherie Blair's neck?!

by Anonymousreply 218September 19, 2022 9:21 AM

The PM in and the Trudeaus in, and the first cars bearing members of the BRF turning into Whitehall.

by Anonymousreply 219September 19, 2022 9:29 AM

King Charles on the way now with crowds on the Mall cheering as he goes by.

by Anonymousreply 220September 19, 2022 9:32 AM

Charles and William just arrived. Rest of the family coming in now.

by Anonymousreply 221September 19, 2022 9:35 AM

Queen and Princess of Wales and the two children on the way. Kate wearing large hat with chin length veil and pearl choker. She looks gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 222September 19, 2022 9:37 AM

And, little Charlotte IS wearing a hat.

And that pearl choker was also the Queen's that Kate is wearing.

by Anonymousreply 223September 19, 2022 9:40 AM

There's Johnny!

by Anonymousreply 224September 19, 2022 9:41 AM

Kate looks fabulously original recipe Dynasty.

by Anonymousreply 225September 19, 2022 9:41 AM

Amazing that thing carried Queen Victoria more than a hundred years ago.

by Anonymousreply 226September 19, 2022 9:43 AM

Wow - the precision.

by Anonymousreply 227September 19, 2022 9:44 AM

OMG, did you see the blond pallbearer closest to coffin? Is it sinful to be lusting at this point?

by Anonymousreply 228September 19, 2022 9:46 AM

Charles looks like he's crying.

by Anonymousreply 229September 19, 2022 9:47 AM

You take your chances where you can r228

by Anonymousreply 230September 19, 2022 9:47 AM

Life is for living, R228. She'd be the first to say so.

by Anonymousreply 231September 19, 2022 9:49 AM

The pipes, the pipes . . .

They would melt a heart of stone . . .

by Anonymousreply 232September 19, 2022 9:50 AM

What if the orb rolled off? Have they got rubber cement under it?

by Anonymousreply 233September 19, 2022 9:55 AM

It’s jarring to think we were all here to celebrate the jubilee just a few months ago, and now we are here for Her Majesty’s grand finale.

I’m verklemmt, and feeling very Mary! about it all.

by Anonymousreply 234September 19, 2022 9:55 AM

R233 Hopefully, as it would break whoever's foot in landed on.

by Anonymousreply 235September 19, 2022 9:56 AM

Same, R234. This is a once in a lifetime event; nothing compares to this magnificence.

by Anonymousreply 236September 19, 2022 9:58 AM

According to tradition, the cameras will not focus on the Royal mourners during the service.

by Anonymousreply 237September 19, 2022 10:01 AM

George looks thinner in person than in photos.

Meghan looks good but Kate looks incredible and dauntingly regal.

by Anonymousreply 238September 19, 2022 10:07 AM

And the Sussexes in the second row.

by Anonymousreply 239September 19, 2022 10:08 AM

I wonder if the presence of George and Charlotte helped bump the Sussexes to the second row. However, they are seated directly behind His Majesty The King, so they may be OK. If not, I’m sure we will hear about it.

by Anonymousreply 240September 19, 2022 10:13 AM

Oh, no! Meghan is obscured by a light pole. Oh, inhumanity of it.

by Anonymousreply 241September 19, 2022 10:14 AM

They are the grandchildren, they are in the second row because of that. William and Kate and their children are the next heirs, that's why they are in the front row. Behind Charles doesn't mean anything, it's the way the seats are snaked around.

by Anonymousreply 242September 19, 2022 10:15 AM

I love Sophie Wessex. She is one of the best things to happen to the Royal Family, such a steady presence, like Princess Anne. No wonder The Queen loves her. Her Majesty was a fine judge of character,

by Anonymousreply 243September 19, 2022 10:17 AM

I'm not sure I would have lead with this.

by Anonymousreply 244September 19, 2022 10:18 AM

Note: the grandchildren are across the aisle in the first row, and Harry didn't even make it to the first row there.

Sophie is seated in front of Harry and Meghan because she is married to the son, not the grandson.

The Wales' and Sussexes again far apart.

by Anonymousreply 245September 19, 2022 10:19 AM

Zara Tindall looks beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 246September 19, 2022 10:20 AM

The Phillipses are first row. King, children, William, then grandchildren by birth order.

Meghan will still be working through whether it's bad she's second row or good behind the King and Queen. She's probably texting Scobie.

by Anonymousreply 247September 19, 2022 10:20 AM

R244 Lead with what?

by Anonymousreply 248September 19, 2022 10:20 AM

Are we here? The Funeral of Queen Elizabeth II thread just switched into Subscriber.

by Anonymousreply 249September 19, 2022 10:21 AM

R245, I think it's along family lines. The children, then the grandchildren, then great grandchildren.

by Anonymousreply 250September 19, 2022 10:21 AM

Liz Truss is acting suitably ministerial. I'm warming to her a lot.

by Anonymousreply 251September 19, 2022 10:22 AM

Poor Bea, stuck next to Meghan again.

by Anonymousreply 252September 19, 2022 10:24 AM

Megs looking around her thinking "Who ARE all these people???"

by Anonymousreply 253September 19, 2022 10:24 AM

Meghan looks ready to fly off on her broom to fight Fiona Good.

by Anonymousreply 254September 19, 2022 10:26 AM

She's wondering if it's a safe space or gonna go all Moldavia like Nolan Miller joked when he came up with that hat.

by Anonymousreply 255September 19, 2022 10:29 AM

I hope Joe Biden doesn't rip a loud fart during the quiet part of the service.

by Anonymousreply 256September 19, 2022 10:38 AM

We're still here.

by Anonymousreply 257September 19, 2022 10:47 AM

Charlotte is actually singing along.

The Wales children are beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 258September 19, 2022 10:48 AM

Am I the only one who thinks it’s kind of cheesy to have a card with the flowers? Too reminiscent of Diana.

by Anonymousreply 259September 19, 2022 10:49 AM

Not cheesy, you just don't understand.

by Anonymousreply 260September 19, 2022 10:51 AM

Charles wanted the "common tiuch", R259 .

The grannies in the East End love it.

by Anonymousreply 261September 19, 2022 10:52 AM

Have they finished crapping on yet???

by Anonymousreply 262September 19, 2022 10:53 AM

R259 It is traditional. Keep up, mate.

by Anonymousreply 263September 19, 2022 10:53 AM

Just started watching - are Harry and Meghan with the 2nd tier?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264September 19, 2022 10:54 AM

The Wales children have behaved impeccably. Charlotte with her hands crossed demurely in front of her.

Margrethe and Frederik in the row of the Crowned Heads. I hope they are taking note of Charlotte for Christian.

by Anonymousreply 265September 19, 2022 11:03 AM

Bea just glanced over at Meghan with a look of utter distaste.

by Anonymousreply 266September 19, 2022 11:04 AM

Edward is basically breaking down.

by Anonymousreply 267September 19, 2022 11:07 AM

The Phantom of the Opera is paying his respects.

by Anonymousreply 268September 19, 2022 11:08 AM

Can you imagine if a crown fell off while they were moving the casket?

by Anonymousreply 269September 19, 2022 11:09 AM

Sophie looks nice.

by Anonymousreply 270September 19, 2022 11:10 AM

Is Sir Elton John there? I mean as a royal and all.

by Anonymousreply 271September 19, 2022 11:10 AM

No sign of Fergie, either.

by Anonymousreply 272September 19, 2022 11:11 AM

Meg spackled on the bronzer again.

by Anonymousreply 273September 19, 2022 11:11 AM

Is Sir Elton playing the organ? Funeral for a friend?

by Anonymousreply 274September 19, 2022 11:13 AM

OMG. I want all the pallbearers to do nasty things to me.

by Anonymousreply 275September 19, 2022 11:13 AM

Fergie was there. Second row between Huge and Snowdon.

by Anonymousreply 276September 19, 2022 11:15 AM

That’s it? I expected the service to be longer.

by Anonymousreply 277September 19, 2022 11:16 AM

The wreath contains a sprig from the Queen's wedding bouquet.

The card says, "In loving and grateful memory. Charles Rex"

by Anonymousreply 278September 19, 2022 11:17 AM

R277 It is as the Queen wished it. She picked the hymns and readings herself.

They go to Windsor now for the interment service.

by Anonymousreply 279September 19, 2022 11:19 AM

[quote]That’s it? I expected the service to be longer.

Isn't that always the way? Even at the end....

by Anonymousreply 280September 19, 2022 11:24 AM

There;s the slow drive to Windsor on the A roads, then another service there at 4pm.

by Anonymousreply 281September 19, 2022 11:26 AM

Is anything open in London today? Pubs, grocery stores etc? Just curious

by Anonymousreply 282September 19, 2022 11:30 AM

I believe absolutely everything shut down for the funeral. Some essential shops were open this morning and will reopen this afternoon for a limited time.

by Anonymousreply 283September 19, 2022 11:32 AM

Bea and Eugenie look absolutely grief-stricken.

by Anonymousreply 284September 19, 2022 11:50 AM

Charlotte is wearing a tiny diamond horseshoe brooch on her coat.

by Anonymousreply 285September 19, 2022 11:56 AM

Look at this photo. Gurl is headed for the top. She looks better than her Aunt Megs.

by Anonymousreply 286September 19, 2022 11:57 AM

British VOGUE posted the photo of Kate, George, and Charlotte, but not of Meghan.

by Anonymousreply 287September 19, 2022 12:02 PM

I got up too late to see DL fave Princess Alexandra arrive but here she is!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288September 19, 2022 12:03 PM

The choker is the one Kate wore to Philip's funeral, I think. The Queen stopped wearing it when she got older, and Diana wore it then.

by Anonymousreply 289September 19, 2022 12:05 PM

Lots of comments on SM about how Harry spent most of the service looking over toward William, and that he barely moved his lips during the anthem.

Meghan and Harry should look on this and remember it's their last hurrah at this kind of thing. No one is going to pay the slightest attention to them at the coronation. They're done.

by Anonymousreply 290September 19, 2022 12:08 PM

Meghan's hat is cheap looking, there's no other word for it. And the capelet sleeves are also ridiculous. She looks like . . . an actress pretending to be a duchess.

Oh, wait . . . .!

by Anonymousreply 291September 19, 2022 12:17 PM

The cape covers the straightjacket. Only way they'd let her in.

by Anonymousreply 292September 19, 2022 12:18 PM

Those Royal Navy men and women are still going strong! They don't look like they're flagging at all.

by Anonymousreply 293September 19, 2022 12:19 PM

Who are those ladies behind the marching band, the three ladies wearing black funeral dresses and carrying javelins?

Who are the - the Furies?

by Anonymousreply 294September 19, 2022 12:19 PM

Leaving London for the final time (sob!)

by Anonymousreply 295September 19, 2022 12:36 PM

R293 And a good thing, too. They actually are our serving military, not just decorations.

by Anonymousreply 296September 19, 2022 12:56 PM

r294, I believe they were the Representatives of the George Cross from Malta, just behind the Band of the Rifles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297September 19, 2022 1:17 PM

For r294

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298September 19, 2022 1:19 PM

Look who found the camera.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299September 19, 2022 1:34 PM

At least she didn't find the spray tan.

by Anonymousreply 300September 19, 2022 1:36 PM

That smug look on her face.

by Anonymousreply 301September 19, 2022 1:46 PM

the pipes, the pipes are calling

by Anonymousreply 302September 19, 2022 2:01 PM

Are there refreshment/ hydration stations set up along the procession way? Some of those folks doing the Coffin Walk are a tad over the hill.

by Anonymousreply 303September 19, 2022 2:25 PM

How far are they making these people walk? Geesh

by Anonymousreply 304September 19, 2022 2:37 PM

The Queen’s pony has been brought by the Grooms to watch the coffin go past. The Queen was still riding in the past year.

by Anonymousreply 305September 19, 2022 2:47 PM

The Duchess does look particularly good. He clothes appear to be well fitted and I think the hat suits her. Princess Charlotte was my favourite of the day. She reminds me a little of the young Lady Sarah. I hope she adopts her great aunts style.

by Anonymousreply 306September 19, 2022 2:53 PM

The corgis....

by Anonymousreply 307September 19, 2022 2:57 PM

I lost it at the doggos!

by Anonymousreply 308September 19, 2022 3:04 PM

They found beauties in that first line of sailors pulling the coffin and carriage!

by Anonymousreply 309September 19, 2022 3:09 PM

That fucking whore Megham on the front row

by Anonymousreply 310September 19, 2022 3:24 PM

Where is the really Part 3?

by Anonymousreply 311September 19, 2022 3:45 PM

That's exactly what they said about your Mother, R310

by Anonymousreply 312September 19, 2022 3:48 PM

That lying whore weeping over the woman she betrayed more often than can be counted.

by Anonymousreply 313September 19, 2022 4:02 PM

Now that it's over I would just like to say that the current batch of Meghan-hating lunatics can't even spell her name right, and that's really weird.

by Anonymousreply 314September 19, 2022 4:05 PM

Princess Bea looks like drama, mousy victim drama

by Anonymousreply 315September 19, 2022 4:07 PM

Madiba, R314.

by Anonymousreply 316September 19, 2022 4:12 PM

R306 ThecDuchess looked like what she is: the villainess of the piece. Those gloves under the capelet were absurd.

The funeral was fascinating piece of theatre in which everyone's trail persona emerged.

Those saying Kate wore too much bling are missing the point of her ensemble: I am no longer the demure ingenue, and no mere Duchess: I am now the Princess of Wales, a Duchess thrice over, and at my father in law's age, I could be Queen next year.

Don't fuck with me.

by Anonymousreply 317September 19, 2022 9:12 PM

^*real (not tral) persona

by Anonymousreply 318September 19, 2022 9:29 PM

The Queen is fine, she sends her love.

by Anonymousreply 319September 19, 2022 10:42 PM

It's interesting that although the code of the day seems to have been "Butches marching in the parades, femmes in the limos", Edward chose to march in the parade.

Mother would have wanted it that way.

by Anonymousreply 320September 20, 2022 12:00 AM

Now I'm wondering if they're going to be able to get Anne to wear a dress to Charles's coronation.

Yes, it was totally appropriate to wear a military uniform so she could show love and respect by marching behind the coffin, but coronations are a time when the men dress up in furs and gowns!

by Anonymousreply 321September 20, 2022 12:13 AM

There really is so much to look forward to.

by Anonymousreply 322September 20, 2022 1:43 AM

Anne has worn dresses to every other major royal event. I don't think it will be too hard for her to do so for the coronation. Just don't expect them to be high style. You have Kate, Sarah Chatto and Charlotte for that.

by Anonymousreply 323September 20, 2022 3:15 AM

[QUOTE]Meghan's hat is cheap looking, there's no other word for it.

It looks like the hat she wore at the "awards ceremony" at the Santa Barbara polo event where she tried to grab away one of the players' prize.

by Anonymousreply 324September 20, 2022 4:30 PM

Besides the heavy resemblance to something Melania Trump has worn or would wear, the big hat and the high-concept dress seemed to be at war with each other. Both were too much at once. She should have simplified one or the other. Still, it wasn't treason and I say that as someone who wouldn't be mistaken for one of her foul mouthed squad that swarms here daily.

by Anonymousreply 325September 20, 2022 4:45 PM

DL's very own Queen Charlotte stole the show!

by Anonymousreply 326September 20, 2022 5:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!