Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you vote with your dollar- I have never and would never go to Chick-fil-A for their stance on gays

I won't go to Chick-fil-A, or Hobby Lobby etc, I am wondering if other people vent and complain about the stances these companies take and then still go through the drive through and eat those fries. And do they sit in your stomach like a rock?

by Anonymousreply 150December 2, 2022 10:36 PM

My parents picked me up from airports and just had to go there. As we’ve had this discussion before, they know how I feel.

But … as we left the drive-through window, he ran over a concrete barrier and fucked up the frame.

by Anonymousreply 1September 10, 2022 2:14 AM

Neither would I, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2September 10, 2022 2:17 AM

Yes, I avoid bigoted right-wing fascist businesses as much as humanly possible.

by Anonymousreply 3September 10, 2022 2:20 AM

You are really changing the world, OP. What a hero. I hope you are an influencer.

by Anonymousreply 4September 10, 2022 2:22 AM

It's a bummer that Chick Fil A does whatever shit they do, but their fries are phenomenal. I'll likely walk over tomorrow morning for a breakfast sandwich. I wish the company wasn't shitty, but too bad - the food is good.

by Anonymousreply 5September 10, 2022 2:23 AM

They definitely employ a lot of gay people.

by Anonymousreply 6September 10, 2022 2:24 AM

The food and service are great. I haven't gone in close to a decade now because of their shitty views and I do miss it occasionally, but there are other delicious fried chicken places.

by Anonymousreply 7September 10, 2022 2:25 AM

Virtue signaling is fun, isn't it, OP?

by Anonymousreply 8September 10, 2022 2:29 AM

I've never eaten at one, but I have to say I'm curious as hell to eat one of its chicken sandwiches.

by Anonymousreply 9September 10, 2022 2:34 AM

I refuse to support bigotry and hatred.

After reading all the hype here about the referenced chicken sandwich, I tried one when a franchise opened in my neighborhood a few years ago. Whether over disgust with the mediocre sandwich or personal guilt, I couldn't finish eating the thing and I never went back.

No can do.

by Anonymousreply 10September 10, 2022 2:34 AM

I still go there. I think there is a lot of hypocrisy around this issue. People pick and choose who is bad and who is good. Do you know who your local supermarket is donating to? What about you drug store? Do you check every business to see what their political spending is? Do you sit down at Thanksgiving across the table from Trump voting family members? There are 6 Chick Fil As is my area and every single one has lines going out into the street at all times of the day. All your little protest is doing is denying you those good waffle fries.

by Anonymousreply 11September 10, 2022 2:34 AM

This thread will end in diaper rash.

by Anonymousreply 12September 10, 2022 2:36 AM

R10 One day you will be on a postage stamp due to your bravery and stance.

by Anonymousreply 13September 10, 2022 2:37 AM

No Goya

by Anonymousreply 14September 10, 2022 2:38 AM

Yummy

by Anonymousreply 15September 10, 2022 2:38 AM

I don't boycott because the notion is so stupid. Idiots believe that their non-purchase of a chicken sandwich will have some effect. All of the non-purchases by everyone combined still make no difference, especially since most of the people who claim to be boycotting these places never would have purchased anything from them in the first place and so, the effect is even smaller. The boycott of Chick-fil-A is even more stupid since it was contributions to the Salvation Army and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes that last got them into trouble, of all things, and the company doesn't even donate to them anymore. In fact, they even acceded to a shakedown: "A spokesperson for the company confirmed that the partnerships announced at the end of 2019 still stand and that Chick-fil-A also 'pledged to give back to Black-led non profits or those serving the Black community.'"

If someone is still boycott Chick-fil-A in 2022, that's a flag that there is probably something wrong with them mentally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 10, 2022 2:59 AM

I don't know why Chick-fil-A is so popular. Popeye's is superior. Hell many chicken places run by South Asians are better.

by Anonymousreply 17September 10, 2022 3:03 AM

I ate there once, before I knew they had any opinion about whose cock I sucked. The food was awful. Dry chicken, mayonnaise, white bread. Awful, awful meal.

I never went back. It's not somewhere I would go now, equally because of their institutionalized homophobia and the utter shitaceousness of their food. If I want chicken, I'll roast a chicken. I'm good at it.

by Anonymousreply 18September 10, 2022 3:20 AM

Bigot Boulevard

by Anonymousreply 19September 10, 2022 3:20 AM

No, the whole anti-gay religious boycott is icing on the crappy-food-I-won't-put-in-my-mouth cake. And given the nasty things I've put in my mouth, that's saying something.

by Anonymousreply 20September 10, 2022 3:23 AM

I think it’s a great idea to boycott businesses for political and social reasons. I boycotted a local restaurant because they were against raising the state’s minimum wage. I boycott Israeli products because of their bulldozing Palestinian homes and bombing babies. I’ll boycott as many businesses as I see fit. We must have a bottom line, a moral compass. We can’t always do the right thing, but some of the time we have to try. Fuck chic filet and their homophobic Christian Chicken

by Anonymousreply 21September 10, 2022 3:28 AM

[quote]I ate there once, before I knew they had any opinion about whose cock I sucked. The food was awful. Dry chicken, mayonnaise, white bread. Awful, awful meal. I never went back.

That's what I'm saying, that most of the people "boycotting" Chick-fil-A wouldn't eat there anyway. The "boycotting" then becomes 100% virtue signaling. TBH, I don't go there for the same reason. I don't care for their food options. I will eat it if nothing else is available.

by Anonymousreply 22September 10, 2022 3:41 AM

[quote]I’ll boycott as many businesses as I see fit. We must have a bottom line, a moral compass.

Except that it's a lie that the boycott is based on reality or morality. Yes, people are free to boycott based on a lie they tell themselves, or a lie from someone else that they choose to believe, but believing a lie is not going to turn it into an actual moral choice.

by Anonymousreply 23September 10, 2022 3:45 AM

Lotta chicken apologists in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 24September 10, 2022 4:49 AM

I don’t believe in mixing shopping with politics.

by Anonymousreply 25September 10, 2022 4:51 AM

You don't go to Chick-fil-A for the fries

by Anonymousreply 26September 10, 2022 4:55 AM

It;s one thing to boycott a business for something the business itself does. For example don’t buy coffee from a shop that doesn’t practice fair trade, or from a restaurant that won’t let its workers unionize. It is different to boycott a chicken sandwich because the parent corporation used to support policies having nothing to do with chickens that you disagree with.

In any case chick fil-a stopped making contributions on political issues, so are you now just punishing them out of spite for the past?

by Anonymousreply 27September 10, 2022 4:58 AM

I've had their chicken and while bland, it was fresh and not dry at all. The drive thru is amazing just to watch.

by Anonymousreply 28September 10, 2022 5:14 AM

I'm with R21, you can't make excuses for every single terrible thing in the world. I'd like to limit the dollars I spend going out to things I morally oppose. Obviously there are limits to this, but take Amazon for instance - nearly impossible to remove from life due to AWS and how embedded it is to web infrastructure, but that doesn't mean I give up and get ten Prime memberships.

by Anonymousreply 29September 10, 2022 5:28 AM

[quote]I'd like to limit the dollars I spend going out to things I morally oppose.

You morally oppose chicken sandwiches? That makes you a loon.

by Anonymousreply 30September 10, 2022 10:29 AM

I don’t buy from Chil-fil-A or Hobby Lobby. I don’t consider what I’m doing a boycott. I simple choose to spend my money at businesses that don’t oppose my views. I have no delusion that my choice not to shop at their stores will have any impact whatsoever on the companies’ bottom line. Nevertheless, I can get a chicken sandwich or craft supplies from a retailer that has beliefs more in line with mine.

by Anonymousreply 31September 10, 2022 11:07 AM

It’s seacow slop.

by Anonymousreply 32September 10, 2022 11:08 AM

[quote] I simple choose to spend my money at businesses that don’t oppose my views.

And you don't let the fact that Chick-fil-A doesn't actually oppose your views get in your way of that, right?

by Anonymousreply 33September 10, 2022 11:30 AM

What R31 said.

by Anonymousreply 34September 10, 2022 11:45 AM

Same, OP. Also Barilla.

by Anonymousreply 35September 10, 2022 11:59 AM

Virtue signaling only works if you follow MY exact logic. I boycott because of ___. If you don't boycott because of ___ then you are not as superior as I am.

~Some people

by Anonymousreply 36September 10, 2022 12:29 PM

CFA is great. I went for y’all last night. It was awesome, as usual.

by Anonymousreply 37September 10, 2022 12:44 PM

I understand your stance, OP. And, there is nothing wrong with voting with your dollar. I DO disagree with situations such as universities or food courts not allowing CFA to rent canteen space; let the customers decide.

Me, I do not boycott CFA because I think even with their stance on gay marriage, they are better than 90% of all big corporations. They pay good wages and have good benefits to their employees, they embrace community development. I much prefer that than to McDonalds that might change their Twitter rainbow for a month but treat their workers like shit.

by Anonymousreply 38September 10, 2022 12:50 PM

Chick Filet is closed on Sunday. The Sunday after the Pulse massacre on that Saturday night, Chik Filet was handing out food and drinks to the rescuers and victims. Widely publicized, google it.

by Anonymousreply 39September 10, 2022 12:51 PM

I eat at Chick-fil-A just so that I can ogle at the cute gay boys taking my order. They are so polite - they kinda remind me of Mormons. I wonder if they wear the special company underwear.

by Anonymousreply 40September 10, 2022 12:59 PM

R40 Are you hoping the fil-A stands for fill assholes.

by Anonymousreply 41September 10, 2022 1:01 PM

I spend my chicken sandwich money elsewhere 95% of the time. But then again, I don't buy much chicken either at the grocery or in restaurants. Not a fan of chicken, per se.

Besides, the CFA closest to me has three lanes and does a booming business every day they are open. I won't wait in a drive-thru for any fast food chicken, but especially CFA.

by Anonymousreply 42September 10, 2022 1:06 PM

My company is fairly liberal, but they’ll get CFA for certain events, especially when people bring their children. I’ll eat it, but I don’t spend my money there. Hobby Lobby are reprehensible Christofascists. I wouldn’t go in that tacky store anyway, so boycotting comes naturally.

by Anonymousreply 43September 10, 2022 1:12 PM

I love all these gays eating Chick Fil-a. Lower lifespan. Eat up.

by Anonymousreply 44September 10, 2022 1:20 PM

Yes, I do..I dont support those hateful faux religious values type of places

by Anonymousreply 45September 10, 2022 1:22 PM

Don’t eat at Chick-fil-A, but I have eaten the ass of one of their employees.

by Anonymousreply 46September 10, 2022 1:53 PM

If you eat Chickfila you have no respect for yourself, animal welfare, the environment, or the people who have to put up with being around your fat greasy flatulent self.

by Anonymousreply 47September 10, 2022 2:36 PM

R47 You seem very lonely

by Anonymousreply 48September 10, 2022 2:54 PM

Eat up^!

by Anonymousreply 49September 10, 2022 2:55 PM

Chick-fil-A saw which way the wind was blowing in 2020 and flinched, dropping their corporate contributions to anti-LGBTQ organizations (which they'd previously done in 2012 and then reversed course when they realized being associated with discrimination hadn't hurt their bottom line). But the owners are still bigoted Bible-thumpers; no need for my dollars to line their pockets when there are so many other dining options.

The Salvation Army does do good for needy people, and I know kind and generous folks who volunteer for them at the grassroots level. So I'll donate food, clothes, and other helpful items but no actual money that will help pay for their corrupt executives' exorbitant salaries and company-owned homes.

Hobby Lobby ownership is just too scummy to list all the ways. Even if they put up rainbow flags at the entrance to every store I wouldn't shop there after the way they treated workers during the pandemic. I'll drive 80 miles to the nearest Michael's before giving them one red cent.

by Anonymousreply 50September 10, 2022 3:35 PM

I agree with you, OP -- but why do we hear so little about gays patronizing homophobic countries? We should be pressuring cruise lines to stop going to place like Jamaica and the Bahamas.

by Anonymousreply 51September 10, 2022 4:18 PM

But the jerk chicken!

by Anonymousreply 52September 10, 2022 4:19 PM

Get back to me when you give up your iphones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53September 10, 2022 4:34 PM

A few years ago people were pissed at Target and tried to start some kind of boycott. No one is going to stop going to Target, at least not in significant enough numbers for them to care. Most corporations give to both sides, it's just smart politically. I just think there are smarter ways to protest, like getting people registered to vote and driving them to the polls.

by Anonymousreply 54September 10, 2022 4:41 PM

Chick-fil-A is probably the best fast food chain in terms of quality, service, and cleanliness. The customers tend to be of a better class, too. Shame a chunk of them are homophobic. Wonder if they realize how many gays are making their sandwiches.

by Anonymousreply 55September 10, 2022 4:48 PM

[quote]Whether over disgust with the mediocre sandwich or personal guilt, I couldn't finish eating the thing and I never went back.

Before the revelation that they were supporting anti-gay organizations, I went to 2 Chik-Fil-As, and both were mediocre. The sandwiches were small for the price and the breading was rather soggy. The fries were bland once, and rancid the second time.

I should mention that both places have since closed, so perhaps I, somehow, went to the only 2 bad stores in the country. Doubtful, but anything is possible, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 56September 10, 2022 4:52 PM

[quote]Wonder if they realize how many gays are making their sandwiches.

Wait until they find out what we've been putting in the "special sauce!"

by Anonymousreply 57September 10, 2022 4:55 PM

I'm the same as r31. I also don't buy Barilla or Goya, for the same reasons. I try not to buy Nestle because of their terrible record on water usage, but sometimes I buy from one of their businesses and don't realize it until later.

Currently, I'm not buying Amy's because of their union busting antics. I buy Lay's occasionally but try not to, as even though the strike has ended, the terms they offered the union were abysmal.

I know there are other products I should avoid but there is only so much time in the day to learn about them all, and implement a personal boycott.

by Anonymousreply 58September 10, 2022 4:59 PM

Maybe if I had more white trash gay American friends who waddle over for their daily helping of waffle fries, they might accuse me of "virtue signaling," for declining to waddle with them.

by Anonymousreply 59September 10, 2022 5:05 PM

r58 It's really difficult bring you, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 60September 11, 2022 6:36 AM

[quote]I don't boycott because the notion is so stupid. Idiots believe that their non-purchase of a chicken sandwich will have some effect. All of the non-purchases by everyone combined still make no difference, especially since most of the people who claim to be boycotting these places never would have purchased anything from them in the first place and so, the effect is even smaller.

What's the first thing you think of when you read "Coors Beer"? For many, and for many who know the brand name but have never tried the product, it's "boycott."

The effect of boycotting isn't the immediate loss of revenue from withheld sales, it's damage to reputation and brand. A labor boycott was launched against Coors in1966 that "concluded" in 1987 when labor officials called it a success; but in fact it never really ended. In fact it didn't end there. There was an unofficial gay and lesbian boycott of Coors that started after the initial labor organized boycott and continued until...is it still on? was it called off? does anyone know?

Consumers associated the brand with a boycott, but few could tell what it was about, or more than one fragmentary aspect of the underlying reasons behind it. Like the Japanese soldiers who emerge from the jungle in WWII fighting mode, no one told the consumers the war was over; or what they knew about the boycott was vague and secondhand. Some people think there is an active Coors boycott today, and some just keep avoiding the product because they are aware, vaguely, of something about some boycott sometime in the past, maybe.

It's rare that anyone or any organization "owns" (controls) a boycott, rare that a boycott has an official start and rarer still that it has an official end. Boycotts, if they receive any attention at all, become public property, controlled by individuals, facts, hearsay, misinformation. It's the inability to control a snowball effect that's worrisome to corporations targeted by boycotts. They can survive the loss of a segment of irate could-be customers, but can they survive the cumulative corrosive effects of a half century of people saying "Oh, I never buy that brand...the boycott, you know"?

Coors had a 50% market share in California at one point and it dropped to 17% due to boycott concerns. It can have a measurable impact, as well as immeasurable: what might Coors have become if they had avoided boycotts?

The real impact of boycotts is that they have the potential to become airborne and accepted knowledge and the facts behind them forgotten. Boycotts are a genie in a bottle that once let out can take a ridiculous amount of wrangling to get a small thing back to normal.

That's the power of boycotts, not someone like me who eats fast food once in a pinch every couple of years, or who doesn't keep a warehouse full of beer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61September 11, 2022 1:23 PM

[quote]What's the first thing you think of when you read "Coors Beer"?

The first think I think of is cheap college beer.

by Anonymousreply 62September 11, 2022 1:43 PM

Pretty much every company and corporation has donated to the republican party, even recently while promoting anti-gay and trans laws. There's a list on the internet of the companies that donate the most. I'm sure you already spend plenty of money at Amazon, pick up prescriptions at CVS or Walgreens, etc. The media singled out Chick fil a because I guess their actions seem to be more harmful. I think it's equally bad. I'm going to vote with my dollar. If I need or enjoy the service, I'll pay for it. If I don't, I won't. I'd rather buy an anti gay CFA sandwich than a "pro-gay" McDonald's chicken sandwich any day.

by Anonymousreply 63September 11, 2022 1:44 PM

I won't sacrifice my principles, integrity and my money for a chicken sandwich. Furthermore, any gay man, who patronizes a Chik-Fi-A, degrades himself and the LGBT communities. Of course, my own boycott means little difference, but it's less money they'll earn.

How pathetic are you to patronize a homophobic corporation, because of a "tasty" chicken sandwich????

by Anonymousreply 64September 11, 2022 1:48 PM

The media singled out CFA because it's publicly Evangelical Christian just like Hobby Lobby. CFA even remains closed on Sundays and used to hang out Bibles. CFA supported anti-gay Christian organizations. Not just the Republican Party. The other companies remained secular.

by Anonymousreply 65September 11, 2022 1:50 PM

[quote]I'd rather buy an anti gay CFA sandwich than a "pro-gay" McDonald's chicken sandwich any day.

Next time you go, buy double of everything. Eat up.

by Anonymousreply 66September 11, 2022 1:50 PM

Let gays enjoy this garbage. Lower lifespan. Enjoy!!

by Anonymousreply 67September 11, 2022 1:52 PM

[quote]but it's less money they'll earn

How much chicken were you planning to buy?

The thing about Chick Fil A is that they stopped and people are haven't updated their info. If you don't like them because they like Jesus, that's fine. But at least Chick Fil A isn't putting their Jesus on cups like In N Out.

by Anonymousreply 68September 11, 2022 1:53 PM

TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — For the eighth straight year, the popular fast-food chain Chick-fil-A was ranked as America’s favorite restaurant, according to the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI).

The index, which ranks customer satisfaction of full-service restaurants on a scale of 0-100, scored the chicken chain at 83. Not only did Chick-fil-A lead the fast food industry, it also led the group of all chain restaurants.

ACSI newcomer Jimmy John’s was four points behind Chick-fil-A with a score of 79. Domino’s and KFC followed closely behind at 78 each.

by Anonymousreply 69September 11, 2022 1:58 PM

Gay employees

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70September 11, 2022 1:59 PM

Worker

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 11, 2022 1:59 PM

This drink

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72September 11, 2022 2:01 PM

Just like the anti-vaxxers. Thin the herd. I’m all for it.

by Anonymousreply 73September 11, 2022 2:02 PM

[quote]ACSI newcomer Jimmy John’s was four points behind Chick-fil-A

Jimmy John's should be boycotted too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 11, 2022 2:13 PM

I won't give them my money, but I will take theirs.

Since I retired, I do little tech projects to bring in some extra cash and to keep me busy. One of them was upgrades at some local cfas.

The number of employees that were obviously gay was astounding. Usually the church attending closet case type. How do I know for sure? Because I fucked a lot of them. I was corner office it director in a previous life, but now I show up with the truck and ladder and those girls really want to be abused by my blue collar ass.

There is always that one guy that is willing to stay after hours so the "work" can be completed.

by Anonymousreply 75September 11, 2022 2:34 PM

It also has lots of gay customers in the South

by Anonymousreply 76September 11, 2022 2:47 PM

I'd happily enjoy a chicken sandwich (or a quarter pounder) from just about anywhere.

Don't judge me until you've walked a mile in my worn out sandals, while your stomach rumbles with every step.

by Anonymousreply 77September 11, 2022 3:08 PM

I went down the list of every brand name the Koch Brothers owned. All I had to do was change my toilet paper to have a Koch-free home.

by Anonymousreply 78September 11, 2022 3:11 PM

R74, thanks. That's another reason to avoid Jimmy Johns. Considering the price their subs are really small.

by Anonymousreply 79September 11, 2022 3:12 PM

I don’t do Jimmy Johns either.

by Anonymousreply 80September 11, 2022 3:26 PM

It’s difficult to boycott fast food chains when you don’t eat that crap to begin with

by Anonymousreply 81September 11, 2022 3:28 PM

So many sneering bitches on this thread. OP is at least putting his money where his principles are. How else do we fight bigotry and hatred except through small acts of conscience?

by Anonymousreply 82September 11, 2022 3:35 PM

So virtuous you are OP. Your “stance” has no effect.

by Anonymousreply 83September 11, 2022 3:57 PM

No I do not do that with corporations

by Anonymousreply 84September 11, 2022 4:05 PM

When buying items on Amazon marketplace I will not buy anything that comes from a red state.

You don’t get to shit on me and then expect me to give you money.

by Anonymousreply 85September 11, 2022 5:16 PM

[quote]I think there is a lot of hypocrisy around this issue. People pick and choose who is bad and who is good. [...] Do you check every business to see what their political spending is?

I own an iPhone, am typing this on a Macbook, my pharmacy is a CVS inside a Target store (it used to be a Target pharmacy) and it's impossible for me to avoid Comcast but I have easily boycotted Coca-Cola, Nestle & Koch owned products and subsidiaries for years. I am trying to wean myself off Amazon's shopping & shipping convenience but I still watch Prime and cannot avoid (or detect) who uses their cloud server.

All that said, I use the Buycott app which allows you to find campaigns that are important to you and lists companies to support and companies to avoid, there's a barcode scanner for in-store use if you're unsure. It's not solely about avoiding Republicans & Conservatives, I support 37 campaigns and a lot of the American companies listed are named in multiple campaigns which makes boycotting easier but companies are also omitted from lists that aren't updated regularly, the NRA list is one that needs to be updated.

[quote]Avoid Sweatshop Labor

[quote]Boycott American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) Corporations

[quote]Boycott Child labour companies

[quote]Boycott chocolate produced by child slaves

[quote]Boycott Coca Cola

[quote]Boycott Income Inequality

[quote]Boycott Koch Industries

[quote]Boycott Nestle

[quote]Boycott the NRA

[quote]Boycott Trump Products

[quote]Corporations lobbying against climate legislation

[quote]End Factory Farming

[quote]Illusion of Choice

[quote]The Nestle Boycott

[quote]Say No to Monsanto

[quote]Say No to Palm Oil Products

[quote]Support Fair Trade

Trump "products" = businesses that either sell Trump brands, have stores at their properties or support Trump.

The most difficult for me to boycott is ALEC corporations like UPS, FedEx, Sony, Pfizer, GlaxoSmithKline and Comcast and "The Illusion of Choice" corporations like General Mills, Procter & Gamble and Johnson & Johnson - admittedly, I'm not [currently] actively trying with General Mills, Procter & Gamble.

[quote]There is an image out there called "The Illusion of Choice." It shows how a tremendous number of products we buy all go back to just 10 companies. Many of these companies, either through their subsidiaries or through the giant parent companies, support unethical and immoral practices…. The goal of this campaign is to give people a tool to assist in making the conscious choice to not support the 10 big companies that make money off us in every possible way, keep us hooked on their products, and unwittingly supporting their corruption. The goal is not to take down these companies through our action directly, but to give us the chance to be consciously and openly free of the idea that we supported these companies, or at least that we did everything we can to avoid it…. This campaign is not about noting how much effort companies are putting in to becoming more ethical, or whether they are not funding politicians and campaigns against organic, environmental practices, or GMO labelling, etc. It is simply intended as a way to avoid supporting the big companies which control so much of our society and our lives through their connections with other people and corporations if you wish to do so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86September 11, 2022 6:10 PM

The insufferable

by Anonymousreply 87September 11, 2022 6:13 PM

I kind of wanted to know what other businesses there were that I was unaware of- but yes Chick-Fil-A does suck. Sorry I wrote the post so badly.

by Anonymousreply 88September 12, 2022 12:08 AM

OP, please tell me what other things I can not do to demonstrate my Idealogical Purity.

by Anonymousreply 89September 12, 2022 12:12 AM

I know why gay people stay away from Chick-Fil-A, and it does bring the bigotry out in the open. But companies are so interconnected and huge today, it's certain that we are all supporting all kinds of products and services from companies that do things just as bad or worse. It's probably impossible not to.

by Anonymousreply 90September 12, 2022 5:10 AM

[quote]… and it does bring the bigotry out in the open.

How?

How does a non-action become an action?

by Anonymousreply 91September 12, 2022 5:22 AM

When I lived in the US I would only eat Bojangles chicken.

Now that I live in the UK I only eat Nandos chicken

by Anonymousreply 92September 12, 2022 8:33 AM

I cook my own chicken. I'm not lazy.

by Anonymousreply 93September 12, 2022 8:42 AM

[quote]So many sneering bitches on this thread. OP is at least putting his money where his principles are.

OP did not put his money where his principles are. OP stated that his decision is based on Chick-fil-A's "stance on gays". If you read through the thread, you would have seen that Chick-fil-A does not have any negative "stance on gays". Whatever you want to call OP's behavior, it's not one based on "principle". Sneering at OP, given these circumstances, would be very appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 94September 12, 2022 9:20 AM

[quote] If you read through the thread, you would have seen that Chick-fil-A does not have any negative "stance on gays".

That exactly is the power of boycotts. They are easy enough to threaten, or even to start, but definitively ending one after it has gained any degree of currency is extraordinarily difficult. Consumers don't know the full chronology and facts and so they assume that since they once heard something about a boycott that the boycott and the reasons behind it still exist. In boycotts, people remember the start of the thing and are often quite unaware of any settlement or change in policy to resolve the conflict. You can think that that reflects poorly on the boycott organizers but all they did was point out what they saw a wrong; that the company involved would rather brush it under a rug quietly and brandish a few goodwill checks, quietly, they will long wish they had settled the thing long before it gained any momentum with the public.

Boycotts are much more powerful for what they could do than what, in most cases, they actually do.

by Anonymousreply 95September 12, 2022 10:09 AM

No. Life's too short.

by Anonymousreply 96September 12, 2022 10:19 AM

I love Bojangles!

by Anonymousreply 97September 12, 2022 11:52 AM

Heroic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98September 15, 2022 5:26 PM

If I were to boycott carrots even there is no reason to boycott carrots, and if I were to claim I was doing it as a moral choice, would that make it so? There are people on this thread who are stating that it doesn’t matter if there is no truth to the reason why they are boycotting. It only matters that they believe their boycott is a moral choice. Does reality really not matter in this case? Doesn’t it hurt the cause when everyone can see your basis for boycotting is untrue?

by Anonymousreply 99September 15, 2022 6:25 PM

Content creator

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100September 17, 2022 1:16 PM

I've never been a customer of either Chick-fil-A or Hobby Lobby and won't be because of their attitudes and policies.

by Anonymousreply 101September 17, 2022 1:21 PM

R101 ,

Neither company sells any that I would want. Even if they did, I would find alternatives.

by Anonymousreply 102September 17, 2022 4:41 PM

Even during a Hurricane

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103September 28, 2022 1:22 PM

pinkwashing was hijacked by the bds movement, it is no more

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104September 28, 2022 1:29 PM

like music and entertainment... most people aren't going to police themselves for each and every little thing.

besides there are far too many tainted lines, you always end up funding something you don't like in the small print.

But I suppose you could live off grid and create a homestead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105September 28, 2022 1:31 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106September 28, 2022 1:32 PM

R105 you can only do what you can. That doesn't mean you should do nothing.

by Anonymousreply 107September 28, 2022 1:33 PM

r107 for most, tho, it as superficial as hashtag activism or changing their avatars for a day. . . they want the appearance of doing something while largely contributing nothing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108September 28, 2022 1:34 PM

r107 There was a thread here months ago where people thought it was a 'crime' to suggest funding initiatives to help at-risk families leave the city (nyc in this case) to build a better life because instead they feel it's the city's job to accommodate for them. of ourse, tho, at the same time they didn't want their taxes to raise and wanted someone else to pay for it. The kind of people that want to redevleop domestic farms to house immigrants and refugees, and have us buy overseas, so they can have their fruits and veggies off-season. And let's not get into the hypocrisy of the climate change crowd.

by Anonymousreply 109September 28, 2022 1:39 PM

tshirts, get your fashionable social justice tees here... healthy at any size, plus to minuses, you're all perfect, gorgeous and grrrrreat!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110September 28, 2022 1:40 PM

R108, a lot of people have limited options, and this thread is specifically about voting with your dollar. Sometimes all you can do is vote by the choices you make.

by Anonymousreply 111September 28, 2022 1:48 PM

shake shack offers chicken sandwiches if you really have to have one

by Anonymousreply 112September 28, 2022 4:45 PM

I do. I still avoid companies that were identified as profiting the Trumps back in 2016. Haven't been to Macy's since.

by Anonymousreply 113September 28, 2022 7:29 PM

This just randomly showed up in my feed. I mean he’s a fine looking man now, but how tasty them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114September 29, 2022 2:29 PM

I won't allow my company or its subsidiaries to order anything from Uline...I ordered all of their catalogs to be removed from company property, and any new catalogs to go directly into recycle. Magat run companies should not be patronized, period. We pay more to order locally, but its a cost of doing business that I'm ok with.

by Anonymousreply 115September 29, 2022 4:13 PM

Have to appreciate California.

California prohibits state funds from being spent in any state that legalizes discrimination.

I work for a national membership organization that hosts conferences for people whose travel to them is paid by state-based funding. Those conferences infuse A LOT of money into cities where they are hosted.

Because we have so many members in California, we are able to refuse to hold meetings in Texas despite also having a lot of members there. By doing that, we would be disallowing any of our members from California from being able to participate in educational opportunities we offer.

So we don't have to get directly into the politics of it and we don't have to explicitly shun any of our Texan members, but we do get to refuse to put money into their local economies. And money is what our Texan members care about. They don't really pretend to be all about Christian values like Midwestern and Southern people pretend to be. They are more explicitly dollar-worshippers. And they're not openly white supremacist like people from Idaho are these days.

It's satisfying when one of our members says, "Hey, y'all need to come to Texas! When's the last time you were in Dallas or Houston," and I get to explain why we can't go there. They always look mortified when I tell them California prohibits us from going to states that have legalized anti-LGBT discrimination and it costs them millions of dollars in potential spending over a weeklong period. Their hatred is costing them money. I know they go home and discuss it and I have a small hope that it might chip away at their codification of hate.

by Anonymousreply 116September 29, 2022 4:51 PM

Autumn Shake

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117October 27, 2022 2:48 AM

I'll never buy a Goya product.

by Anonymousreply 118October 27, 2022 2:56 AM

𝐆𝐞𝐧-𝐙'𝐬 𝐟𝐚𝐯𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐮𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐭

New York CNN —

It’s been a good year for Chick-fil-A – a recent survey ranked it as Gen Z’s top restaurant, with 15% of respondents listing it as their favorite choice.

The annual Piper Sandler study surveyed 14,500 teens in 47 states, whose average age was just under 16 years old (15.8 years old, to be exact.)

Starbucks came in second at 12% of teens, followed by Chipotle (7%), McDonald’s (6%) and Olive Garden (3%).

Chick-fil-A also led the industry in customer satisfaction in the same poll – 88% of customers said the fried chicken sandwich chain had “friendly service.”

The researchers also found that Chick-fil-A had fine-tuned its “check-point system,” which keeps customers engaged through different interactions with employees, starting from placing their to order to their famous reply to people who thank them: “my pleasure.”

The chain had 2,730 outlets and hit nearly $16 billion in sales in 2021, according to Technomic, a food industry research and consulting firm. (Chick-Fil-A is a privately owned firm that doesn’t release its results.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119October 27, 2022 3:09 AM

I do avoid those companies that raise money for hatred. Also, I did recently read this:

“According to a recent investigation from Consumer Reports, the packaging used for food at many major fast-food chains including McDonald's, Chick-Fil-A, Burger King, and Sweet Green contain a cancer-causing chemical called PFAS, or per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances.”

by Anonymousreply 120October 27, 2022 3:16 AM

[quote] a cancer-causing chemical called PFAS, or per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances.”

Speculatively.

In 2017, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) classified perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), the most well-studied per- and polyfluoroalkyl substance (PFAS), as a 𝒑𝒐𝒔𝒔𝒊𝒃𝒍𝒆 human carcinogen based in part on limited epidemiologic evidence of associations with cancers of the kidney and testis in heavily exposed subjects.

As such, these investigations have the 𝒑𝒐𝒕𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒊𝒂𝒍 𝒕𝒐 𝒊𝒏𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒎 𝒇𝒖𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆 𝒆𝒗𝒂𝒍𝒖𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏𝒔 of the carcinogenicity of PFOA and to extend our understanding to other PFAS that have not yet been evaluated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121October 27, 2022 3:26 AM

Gen Z really loves CFA

by Anonymousreply 122October 27, 2022 10:47 AM

Eat up Gen Z!

by Anonymousreply 123October 27, 2022 11:31 AM

Shorter lifespan.

by Anonymousreply 124October 27, 2022 11:32 AM

Yep, they’ve done a great job marketing to young people. Here in suburban DC, hordes of young people congregate at CFA

by Anonymousreply 125October 27, 2022 11:40 AM

The USAToday article at R16 is from 2020. Here's one from 2021:

𝐂𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐤-𝐟𝐢𝐥-𝐚’𝐬 𝐎𝐰𝐧𝐞𝐫 𝐈𝐬 𝐍𝐞𝐰𝐥𝐲 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐀𝐧𝐭𝐢-𝐄𝐪𝐮𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐀𝐜𝐭 𝐃𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬

There's no separating the business from the business owner.

This week, 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝐷𝑎𝑖𝑙𝑦 𝐵𝑒𝑎𝑠𝑡 reported that a series of Christian billionaires have donated large amounts of money to an organization that is spearheading the derailment of the Equality Act. The organization is called the National Christian Charitable Foundation, and its structure allows for donors to have a hefty say in where their funds go. That say counts as a "suggestion," according to the report, but when there's that much money involved, suggestions have a lot of power.

Naturally, the key players are as expected: Betsy DeVos and family, those crafty bigots at Hobby Lobby, and Dan Cathy, the absurdly rich owner of Chick-fil-a. The proposed act, which passed the House of Representatives with a bipartisan majority and is supported by two-thirds of Americans, would protect lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people from discrimination at a federal level.

The Atlanta-based fast food chain Chick-fil-a announced in late 2019 that it would stop making charitable donations to anti-LGBTQ organizations, and to be fair, it did. But the twist is that Cathy didn't, and that's a loophole worth gossiping about on Sunday. To say that Cathy isn't Chick-fil-a and that Chick-fil-a isn't Cathy is asinine, especially considering America's recent inability to separate man from business. A man's product is as good as the man himself.

Beyond that, I don't have any more words for Chick-fil-a, to be honest, because as Maya Angelou famously said, "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time." I don't go to Red Lobster looking for Italian food, and I don't go to Chick-fil-a looking for moral high ground. I don't care how friendly they are. I don't care how "good" the chicken is (especially when Popeyes, Zaxby's, and Raising Cane's are 𝑟𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑒). The people who own Chick-fil-a have an anti-LGBTQ agenda, and that was ingrained in the company for a good long while.

to be continued...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126October 27, 2022 12:38 PM

Continued from R126:

What chaps my hide is that Chick-fil-a is the third most profitable fast food chain in the United States, pulling in billions in revenue each year. It seems Americans are so horny and habitual for chicken and waffle fries that it's easier for them to "have a blessed day" than it is to take a stand against the aiding and abetting of discrimination toward LGBTQ people.

We offer Chick-fil-a pass after pass because of its hollowed out promises to do good. Promises to merge the good word of the Bible with the realities of humanity, which would suggest that it wants to emulate, say, Romans 13:10, which teaches, "Love does no harm to a neighbor, therefore love is the fulfillment of the law." But let's be honest. Chick-fil-a is a business that wants money, owned by a man with a hateful agenda, wrapped in the convenient guise of religion. And too many people just want their chicken, without having to question why it might be wrong to eat it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127October 27, 2022 12:39 PM

[quote]R24: Lotta chicken apologists in this thread.

Yes, there are. And it's crap we've all seen from the far right internet troll handbook - sarcastic accusations of hypocrisy and virtue signalling, claims that boycotts are ineffective and pointless (if that's the case, why the need to mobilize far right asses in chairs furiously fighting them online?), and claims that Chic-fil-a has shaped up. It hasn't.

The frantic efforts of paid propagandist trolls on behalf of Chic-fil-a every time the subject comes up is amusing to watch.

by Anonymousreply 128October 27, 2022 12:49 PM

I adore the Chick Fil A brand. Good food, one day off per week for all staff and cute cows promoting chicken eating. I love waffle fries and would get my fix weekly for years.

I eat there no more. Originally, it was because of their donations. Now, it is because businesses aligned with the Christian agenda and promotion of that lifestyle are not acceptable to me. Why? Because Christianity is malignant.

Devout faith in the supernatural without critical thinking skills results in immoderate and dangerous allegiance to any corrupt individual who happens to get the endorsement of religious leaders.

Devout faith in that without evidence has made Christians eager to embrace the absurd notion of pervasive, coordinated, and unjust persecution of leaders who advance the Christian agenda but fail to live up to Basic Christian tools.

The belief that a fertilized clump of cells in a woman has greater right to life than the woman herself and that the pleasure experienced in getting the cells is in itself evil is ridiculous—especially when the same people support policies that prevent government support of the unwanted humans that result.

So, yes, I avoid brands aligned with the Christian agenda. They don’t need or want my business. While I appreciate the core tenants of religious practice and acknowledge that churches are some of the strongest communities in the world which I find valuable, their inability to live and let live and anti intellectualism are too dangerous to support.

And do I know how each proprietor personally believes? Of course not, but when recognizable brands enter the fray, I have the right to avoid them. Just as many people avoid The Chicks or Kathy Griffin.

by Anonymousreply 129October 27, 2022 1:20 PM

I tried it once, and I didn’t really like it that much. And as a previous poster said I can spend my money in places where the companies are more in line with my own values.

by Anonymousreply 130October 27, 2022 1:36 PM

I'm inconsistent re voting with my dollar, but Chik-Fil-a is firmly on my prohibited list. I really do quite like their chicken, but I will not eat it.

by Anonymousreply 131October 27, 2022 2:15 PM

I tried it for the first time.... it was nothing special. A typical chicken burger and the waffle fries were....bland.

I don't get the fuss.

by Anonymousreply 132October 27, 2022 2:34 PM

I must confess that I ate there once and felt like crap for a week. It wasn't even good. I never ate there again and won't ever. Popeye's has the better chicken sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 133October 27, 2022 2:38 PM

It is clean, safe, Christian and the bland food is like crack for children. My friends who are allies had to relent to their insistent children.

There is no fuss, really. There is just a cohort of post-marriage equality gays who lack a respect for history believing they’ve been accepted and eschew the T, I and other gender letters of the community. What they fail to understand is that the freedoms they enjoy were hard fought and remain fragile. They consider themselves masculine, superior and find civil rights concerns beneath them. They have matured to worrying about generational wealth building and the policies that support it.

They wield their perceived apex position like a cudgel rejecting any sense of responsibility to the greater community that made their way of life possible. And they have a rude awakening ahead when inevitable new STIs and gay rights reversals take hold.

Brandon Stroka is their poster child.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134October 27, 2022 2:45 PM

There’s one near the Atlantic LIRR terminal in Brooklyn. I decided to try it once as I take the LIRR frequently. Just to see what it was like. The chicken sandwich was the best I’ve ever had. Like crack chicken. That was years ago and I’ve never gone back but I am drawn.

by Anonymousreply 135October 27, 2022 3:46 PM

No way. Not these fuckers or Wendy's or Carl's Jr. Fuck 'em all with a splintered bat.

by Anonymousreply 136October 27, 2022 3:53 PM

I also refuse to set foot in Idaho where my Trumpist relatives are having Thanksgiving. There are several other states on my shit list as well.

by Anonymousreply 137October 27, 2022 3:56 PM

Careful, or those on the right might start whining, and accusing you of being woke and crying about so-called cancel culture.

by Anonymousreply 138October 27, 2022 4:39 PM

No Chik Fil- A, No Barilla (despite his apology tour), No Hobby Lobby, No Dominoes (yes, I know it's changed ownership), No Dolce & Gabbana

by Anonymousreply 139October 27, 2022 4:42 PM

As I drift into middle age, I've concluded that ALL fast food is horrible. Why bother unless utterly desperate

by Anonymousreply 140October 27, 2022 4:43 PM

Not only did Chik Fil-A's owner shovel profits into organizations that worked against gay rights, Chik Fil-A then lied and said it would stop. Then it was uncovered that the donations kept on going.

by Anonymousreply 141October 27, 2022 4:45 PM

R33 is a troll. Yes, they do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142October 27, 2022 4:48 PM

[quote] 𝐂𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐤-𝐟𝐢𝐥-𝐚’𝐬 𝐎𝐰𝐧𝐞𝐫 𝐈𝐬 𝐍𝐞𝐰𝐥𝐲 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐀𝐧𝐭𝐢-𝐄𝐪𝐮𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐀𝐜𝐭 𝐃𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬

The "Equality Act" was yet another trans Trojan Horse piece of legislation using gay men and lesbians as window dressing. Ironic if it falls to Chick fil-a to defend the people HRC and GLAD has abandoned.

by Anonymousreply 143October 27, 2022 5:23 PM

R143, CFA still gives to anti-GAY rights groups. CFA isn't defending gays, for god's sake

by Anonymousreply 144October 27, 2022 5:46 PM

They have great chicken soup

by Anonymousreply 145December 2, 2022 9:35 PM

Unfortunately, you're a minority within a minority and while it may make you feel good, it's probably having zero effect on large company with thousands of outlets. If it was a small local thing, then it would be more worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 146December 2, 2022 9:41 PM

I boycotted CFA for years and finally tried it. It's NOT good. Neither are the fries. The other major chicken fast food places all have better food. You are not missing anything.

by Anonymousreply 147December 2, 2022 10:15 PM

Obviously many disagree

by Anonymousreply 148December 2, 2022 10:31 PM

r147, I don't agree with that at all, but it all depends on your preference and which chick-fil-a you go to. I will say their fries are their weakest item on the menu. No idea why they insist on keeping them the same when so many complain about the fries.

by Anonymousreply 149December 2, 2022 10:32 PM

I’m not into their fries, but I love their mixed green salad, fruit cup, grilled nuggets, chicken noodle soup, and ice tea

by Anonymousreply 150December 2, 2022 10:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!