Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Urban Legend (1998)

I just watched this movie! It is so much fun.

A series of murders on the campus of a private New England university, all of which appear to be modeled after popular urban legends.

Directed by Jamie Blanks

Written by Silvio Horta

Starring Alicia Witt, Jared Leto, Rebecca Gayheart, Robert Englund, Loretta Devine, Michael Rossenbaum, Joshua Jackson, Tara Reid, Danielle Harris, Natasha Gregson Wagner, Julian Richings, Brad Dourif, and Sir John Neville.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44September 27, 2022 10:37 PM

I saw this at the cinema with a group of friends. I remember enjoying it. I couldn't imagine watching it now.

by Anonymousreply 1September 5, 2022 11:26 PM

Is this the one where Tara Reid has a call-in sex advice hotline, called "Under the Covers" ? Lol. I loved this as a late 90s teen 😂 (The main girl is so frumpy though, haha - wish Rebecca Gayheart was the lead)

by Anonymousreply 2September 5, 2022 11:30 PM

R2 Yes it is!

R1 I find it nostalgic.

by Anonymousreply 3September 5, 2022 11:45 PM

Favorite line: "Ugh, Rent-a-Cop to the rescue!"

by Anonymousreply 4September 5, 2022 11:45 PM

R4 YES! Rebecca Gayheart was a bitch in this

by Anonymousreply 5September 5, 2022 11:47 PM

Didn't Gayheart kill someone through reckless driving or am I confusing her with someone else?

by Anonymousreply 6September 6, 2022 12:00 AM

R6 Yes, she did in real life after this movie. I think like 2005

by Anonymousreply 7September 6, 2022 12:10 AM

This was Silvio's big break. He'd go on to create the American version of Ugly Betty.

RIP old friend.

by Anonymousreply 8September 6, 2022 12:16 AM

I actually loved URBAN LEGENDS 2 even more! It takes place at a different location, a film school I think located in Canada. It has an entirely different cast and lead, and Hart Bochner in the cast.

by Anonymousreply 9September 6, 2022 12:38 AM

Alicia Witt has the charisma of a cold sore in this. Jared Leto never looked better.

by Anonymousreply 10September 6, 2022 12:43 AM

This movie made me realize that Alicia Witt, who I loved on Cybill and in Fun wasn't a leading lady.

by Anonymousreply 11September 6, 2022 12:50 AM

We haven't heard from her in a while, have we?

by Anonymousreply 12September 6, 2022 12:54 AM

I liked Alicia Witt in this

by Anonymousreply 13September 6, 2022 1:09 AM

But she is a slice of Wonder Bread lol

by Anonymousreply 14September 6, 2022 1:36 AM

Watching it now. This ancient and stuffy college dean is ludicrously miscast. Not even the deans/dons at Oxford 1840 acted like this dude. Passing off an obvious murder scene as a "tragic suicide," sipping tea, overseeing a library so broke it still uses candles in 1998.

He was better as the villain with a soul in The X-Files.

by Anonymousreply 15September 6, 2022 1:39 AM

R15 That ancient dean is Sir John Neville.

He was a revered actor with the Royal Shakespeare Company. He was also in Billy Budd, A Study in Terror, Crime and Punishment, Topkapi, The Shaggy Dog, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, The Fifth Element, The X Files, Spider, and Sunshine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 6, 2022 1:43 AM

One of my favorites. I rented it from the video store when I was in 5th grade in the late-‘90s (I was precocious and obsessed with horror movies from a young age). I have rewatched it many times as an adult and I think it holds up well. Definitely in the league of “I Know What You Did Last Summer”, which, although a slightly better movie overall, is not nearly as rewatchable to me. “Urban Legend” has a great gothic atmosphere and is more playful and inventive. Tara Reid’s chase/murder scene is classic.

by Anonymousreply 17September 6, 2022 1:43 AM

R17 I agree with you! Of the late 1990's slashers, I would rank it:

Scream

I Know What You Did Last Summer

Sleepy Hollow

Candyman

Urban Legend

Halloween H20

Wes Craven's New Nightmare

Scream 2

Scream 3

by Anonymousreply 18September 6, 2022 1:51 AM

Another thing this film benefits from is that is populated with a plethora of eccentric characters/performances: Rebecca Gayheart's insane overacting at the end is amazing (and her HAIR!), and Loretta Devine is a hoot as the "Foxy Brown"-obsessed campus security guard. You also have horror alumni like Robert Englund playing the creepy psychology professor, and Danielle Harris as the cunty, lithium-addicted goth bitch who loathes Alicia Witt (who I actually like in this, by the way—her meekness in the role works fairly well). Tara Reid is funny and loveable too as the slutty campus radio host with her live sex show, and Michael Rosenbaum as her boyfriend never looked hotter.

by Anonymousreply 19September 6, 2022 1:52 AM

R11 -- Alicia Witt on "Cybill" was a grade A cunt, which pretty much sums up her acting range.

by Anonymousreply 20September 6, 2022 1:53 AM

I liked Alicia Witt in Cecil B Demented, and as a little girl on the original Twin Peaks (Donna Hayward's little sister).

by Anonymousreply 21September 6, 2022 1:55 AM

Roger Ebert, who had a harsh track record when it came to slasher movies, surprisingly did not excoriate it in his review. He fully acknowledged it for what it was, but noted some positive points and did not rip it to shreds. He gave it two stars in his review—"I Know What You Did Last Summer" only got one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 6, 2022 1:57 AM

R22 I usually agree with Roger Ebert, but I disagreed with his "Summer" review

by Anonymousreply 23September 6, 2022 1:59 AM

R21 me too. This line is still, to this day, one of the funniest things I've ever heard in a movie:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 6, 2022 2:00 AM

She dressed like a secretary in this film

by Anonymousreply 25September 6, 2022 2:02 AM

Hart Bochner (sigh)

by Anonymousreply 26September 6, 2022 2:43 AM

R26 he's not in this?

by Anonymousreply 27September 6, 2022 3:04 AM

I'm watching it now! It's on Hulu!

by Anonymousreply 28September 6, 2022 3:25 AM

R28 are you enjoying it?

by Anonymousreply 29September 6, 2022 3:34 AM

Seeing Michael Rosenbaum with hair is always weird. But at least it wasn't a wig like in Sorority Boys.

by Anonymousreply 30September 6, 2022 9:41 AM

This is always on my Halloween play list.

It really sets a mood, with the thunder and lightning, the dark setting, the New England university background, and the great cast.

I was surprised to discover that Joshua Jackson was the youngest main cast member in this movie.

[quote] I liked Alicia Witt in this

So did I. She was completely adequate.

Alicia even cradled her mug, in one scene!

And R19, don't forget the guy who played the creepy janitor!

He's in a lot of horror movies, and he was great in this one.

The only thing I didn't like about this movie was the cute dog in the microwave.

I could definitely have done without that scene.

by Anonymousreply 31September 6, 2022 9:55 AM

I liked Danielle Harris as the goth roommate from he'll.

Sequel is great. Hot male lead bares his ass.

by Anonymousreply 32September 6, 2022 10:25 AM

How did Silvio Horta’s big break happen?

The gays in power today don’t help the younger gays anymore. They just help the trans and bipoc and women.

by Anonymousreply 33September 6, 2022 10:32 AM

Has anyone seen the third movie? Is it worth checking out?

by Anonymousreply 34September 6, 2022 10:56 AM

[quote] I was surprised to discover that Joshua Jackson was the youngest main cast member in this movie.

Jared Leto was by far the oldest of the entire cast of "students."

I think he was 37 or something.

by Anonymousreply 35September 6, 2022 11:01 AM

R9 Urban Legends 2 is such ridiculous fun. What film school has access to a life size plane set, lol.

R34 I saw it but all I remember is that it's very cheap looking.

by Anonymousreply 36September 6, 2022 12:09 PM

R36 so in other words it's not scary?

by Anonymousreply 37September 6, 2022 12:18 PM

It is a fun late 1990's slasher. The production definitely copied Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer.

Besides the likes of Neve Campbell, Sarah Michelle Gellar, and Ryan Phillippe, you have Alicia Witt, Jared Leto, and Joshua Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 38September 6, 2022 2:54 PM

Joshua Jackson read as gay in this film. Was it the bleached blond hair?

by Anonymousreply 39September 6, 2022 9:54 PM

R39 he was good as a bitchy blonde twink in Cruel Intentions.

by Anonymousreply 40September 6, 2022 10:33 PM

R40 The film that launched a thousand boys firmly into faggotry!

by Anonymousreply 41September 6, 2022 11:03 PM

Cruel Intentions is Dangerous Liaisons for teens

by Anonymousreply 42September 7, 2022 2:50 PM

Sweet Christ! Luv that fur!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 27, 2022 10:26 PM

Michael with hair is just wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44September 27, 2022 10:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!