Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jane Fonda has lymphoma.

She has begun chemotherapy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76September 6, 2022 11:03 PM

good riddeance

by Anonymousreply 1September 2, 2022 8:11 PM

Oh no!

Get well soon, Jane!

We love you!

by Anonymousreply 2September 2, 2022 8:13 PM

She must be pushing 90 by now. In any case, hope she recovers.

by Anonymousreply 3September 2, 2022 8:14 PM

She's 84.

by Anonymousreply 4September 2, 2022 8:14 PM

She’s 84. She’s going to die of something.

by Anonymousreply 5September 2, 2022 8:15 PM

I'm sorry Jane, but this is Datalounge, the R1 has to be the worst. Love you girl

by Anonymousreply 6September 2, 2022 8:16 PM

What’s her face been diagnosed with?

by Anonymousreply 7September 2, 2022 8:18 PM

I hope she somehow winds up doing alright at her age. I'm very sorry for my phrasing with that.

She's an overall brave lady in my opinion.

She's tolerant minded and gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 2, 2022 8:19 PM

how is she only 84 ? no way, she was already over the hill when I was born, and I'm old

by Anonymousreply 9September 2, 2022 8:19 PM

Imposter! I did it first, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 10September 2, 2022 8:20 PM

I like her, though 😉.

by Anonymousreply 11September 2, 2022 8:20 PM

[quote] I’m also lucky because I have health insurance and access to the best doctors and treatments. I realize, and it’s painful, that I am privileged in this. Almost every family in America has had to deal with cancer at one time or another and far too many don’t have access to the quality health care I am receiving and this is not right.

[quote] We also need to be talking much more not just about cures but about causes so we can eliminate them. For example, people need to know that fossil fuels cause cancer. So do pesticides, many of which are fossil fuel-based, like mine.

That's our Jane!

She never will miss any opportunity to moralize.

by Anonymousreply 12September 2, 2022 8:20 PM

Does it really have an 80% cure rate?

by Anonymousreply 13September 2, 2022 8:21 PM

Atta girl.

by Anonymousreply 14September 2, 2022 8:23 PM

What a long and eventful life she's had. She was right about Vietnam, a senseless and tortuous war.

by Anonymousreply 15September 2, 2022 8:24 PM

R8 Great clip, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 16September 2, 2022 8:25 PM

I loved her most in THE CHASE. not her best or biggest part, but she was so sexy

by Anonymousreply 17September 2, 2022 8:26 PM

[quote] She was right about Vietnam, a senseless and tortuous war.

She was right that it was an awful and pointless war; but she was incredibly wrong (as she herself has admitted) to allow herself to be photographed in 1973 on a Viet Cong anti-aircraft gun while the war was going on and drafted American soldiers were being killed by such guns.

That was a genuinely shitty thing to do. She was an adult and should have known better. I understand why many people feel it was an unforgivable act during wartime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 2, 2022 8:28 PM

She's like the bionic woman–"made of metal." You got this, Jane!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 2, 2022 8:31 PM

No....Fonda is one of the few in Hollywood, if not the only one who walks the talk

Die in hell, shithead r1.

by Anonymousreply 20September 2, 2022 8:33 PM

She has the best attitude about it. Wishing all the best.

by Anonymousreply 21September 2, 2022 8:37 PM

Clot-shot strikes again.

by Anonymousreply 22September 2, 2022 8:39 PM

"Is it the good kind?"

by Anonymousreply 23September 2, 2022 8:42 PM

[quote] Cancer is a teacher and I’m paying attention to the lessons it holds for me.

-Jane in OP’s link.

I’ll remember that quote.

by Anonymousreply 24September 2, 2022 8:42 PM

She'll be 85 in December. To put her elderly body through cancer treatment is insane.

by Anonymousreply 25September 2, 2022 8:48 PM

Meh. She can be mentally weak in times of her life, such as the years of eating disorders, but not so much in the body. Tough. And she's probably not ready to die. So why not try the treatment.

by Anonymousreply 26September 2, 2022 8:52 PM

[quote] No....Fonda is one of the few in Hollywood, if not the only one who walks the talk

She’s a typical entitled rich white liberal. She was on television saying LatinX repeatedly and saying that she was educating herself by reading about the black and Latino experience. She’s Maude.

by Anonymousreply 27September 2, 2022 9:00 PM

[quote] Cancer is a teacher and I’m paying attention to the lessons it holds for me.

Oy vey.

by Anonymousreply 28September 2, 2022 9:00 PM

The best old white bitch!

Hope she recovers.

by Anonymousreply 29September 2, 2022 9:01 PM

Told you she was a liar.

by Anonymousreply 30September 2, 2022 9:01 PM

Lymphoma is not a fatal type of cancer if caught early. I expect her to make a full recovery.

by Anonymousreply 31September 2, 2022 9:17 PM

R31 I really don’t know, but Jackie died of it within months. I always thought that was a really “bad” cancer to get; that said being much older usually works in ones favor when it comes to things like cancer.

Didn’t she also have a lumpectomy several years ago?

by Anonymousreply 32September 2, 2022 9:19 PM

Sad.

by Anonymousreply 33September 2, 2022 9:25 PM

Hodgkin and non-Hodgkin lymphoma both have relatively high survival rates. But she is right; treatment is very expensive.

[quote] Non-Hodgkin lymphoma is the seventh most diagnosed cancer, accounting for an estimated 72,500 cases in 2016. More than 86 percent of patients diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma survive five years or more. About 70 percent of patients diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma survive five years or more.

Hodgkin is strongly linked to Epstein-Barr virus, with more than half of patients who develop the blood cancer having EBV.

by Anonymousreply 34September 2, 2022 9:27 PM

She’s so overrated, not a good actress, so one note, she’s either boring or doing that startled face she does, you know the one. Nepotism.

by Anonymousreply 35September 2, 2022 9:28 PM

She's one last reminders of Golden Age Hollywood. Jane and her brother Peter used to attend Christina Crawford's infamous birthday parties.

by Anonymousreply 36September 2, 2022 9:28 PM

R36 Well that’s foolish to say, being that Christina herself is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 37September 2, 2022 9:35 PM

R35 You parents never told you, so I will. When someone reveals their cancer diagnosis, it's an opportunity to say something nice and kind.

by Anonymousreply 38September 2, 2022 9:36 PM

[quote] Does it really have an 80% cure rate?

Some types do, others not so much. Depends on what type you have.

by Anonymousreply 39September 2, 2022 9:38 PM

The chemo can easily kill her. She’s had cancer multiple times now.

by Anonymousreply 40September 2, 2022 9:40 PM

[quote]For example, people need to know that fossil fuels cause cancer. So do pesticides...

So do silicone implants, Jane.

by Anonymousreply 41September 2, 2022 9:41 PM

R38 yeah that’s right!

by Anonymousreply 42September 2, 2022 9:43 PM

If she dies in the next three months she'll be the final star in the TCM Remembers 2022 montage!

by Anonymousreply 43September 2, 2022 9:44 PM

My mom is 85 and has had blood cancer for over 5 years. She's on a very expensive drug (Jakafi) and has no symptoms. She shops, gardens, mows her lawn, etc.

by Anonymousreply 44September 2, 2022 9:57 PM

finally, karma catches up.

by Anonymousreply 45September 2, 2022 9:59 PM

Since it seems to have been caught early, the survival rate is typically pretty high; however, given her age, I’m not so sure. The elderly have weaker immune systems and cancer is harder to treat (and rougher) in the body of an 84-year-old.

by Anonymousreply 46September 2, 2022 10:06 PM

I like her a lot.

And I also acknowledge her age. People don't live forever. It's one of the most insane things to me about rich people's radical plastic surgeries: they think if they don't look like old people, they are not old inside. Cher has complained about elderly people coming to her concerts.

Bill Maher recently went on an anti-obesity tirade and ended with "When is the last time you saw a fat 90-year-old?" Wild applause.

And I thought immediately: What is 90 like? Is there any such thing as a healthy 90 year old? No. The healthiest 90 year old is like the sickest 25 year old. Their whole life is doctor's appointments and working not to be hurt.

Jane is 84. Her goal may be to live to be 100 or 110, but eventually the body does break down inside and out and I worry that all the surgeries and attention she's gotten for looking miraculously not old has fucked up her head and she may not realize the actual life stage she is in. 85 year olds are not healthy people, cancer or no cancer.

by Anonymousreply 47September 2, 2022 10:12 PM

Jane has been fucked up in the head for most of her life, R47.

by Anonymousreply 48September 2, 2022 10:17 PM

We all know op!!

by Anonymousreply 49September 2, 2022 10:36 PM

r47 Both my parents are still alive, dad 96, mom 94. My dad, when he was 90. was healthy except for sciatica which was causing him immense pain. He got a kind of "pace maker" implanted that sends a pulse blocker and that took care of that. He needed a walker or a scooter as he calls it, to be mobile. He's still pretty healthy now, nothing he has ever had to run to the doctor for.

My mother also was healthy when she turned 90, she did have to monitor her heart with visits because she has congestive heart failure. She also needed to watch out for cancer. She had a cancerous lump removed back in the early 80's. She had a lumpectomy and had radiation treatments but no chemo. Never had a recurrence, now she is 94 and not doing great. She had pneumonia as couple of months ago and now needs oxygen all the time. and is so weak she cannot walk on her own anymore. I don't think she's going to be around much longer.

So as far as my parents go, they hit 90 and were doing great.

by Anonymousreply 50September 3, 2022 12:17 AM

The shoot horses, don’t they?

by Anonymousreply 51September 3, 2022 12:19 AM

She always took care of herself, exercising and probably ate right. I hope that gives her an advantage in her treatment. All the best.

by Anonymousreply 52September 3, 2022 12:51 AM

[quote] When someone reveals their cancer diagnosis, it's an opportunity to say something nice and kind.

Oh FFS: this is Datalounge. Not only is she not here, but we make fun of everyone and everything. We had a thread in September 2001 about the EWorld Trade Center being an insatiable bottom.

Take your smug pieties and shove them up your sanctimonious asshole.

by Anonymousreply 53September 3, 2022 12:55 AM

So Jackie O died of the same cancer but was it more the agressive type? She died just a few months after the diagnosis - and she was only 64. Didn't realize she was still quite young.

by Anonymousreply 54September 3, 2022 12:56 AM

Jackie may have been diagnosed late in the cancer's development. Or, likely, the treatment has come a loooooong way from what it was back when Jackie died.

I have a friend whose mother was diagnosed with stage four lung cancer last fall. She had a large tumor on her lung and was diagnosed because she couldn't catch her breath. (Dietitian with a healthy lifestyle who never smoked, by the way.) She is undergoing an experimental gene therapy and as of a few months ago the tumor was GONE. Stage four lung cancer!! She's off the oxygen machine. But they told her she will continue to do well until she suddenly doesn't, and then death will come swiftly. They said they don't know why, but the therapy works very well for some patients but then it always suddenly fails with no warning and the cancer comes back strong.

by Anonymousreply 55September 3, 2022 1:00 AM

That's rich, R53, after your smug pieties and sanctimonious assholery in R18.

by Anonymousreply 56September 3, 2022 1:09 AM

[quote] Depends on what type you have.

That's what I always say--[italic]Depends![/italic]

by Anonymousreply 57September 3, 2022 1:18 AM

Many elderly patients are treated with chemo.

by Anonymousreply 58September 3, 2022 1:21 AM

That stupid picture of her on the anti-aircraft gun only became an issue in the late ‘80s when the John Birch Society fomented protests in Connecticut before she arrived to film Stanley and Iris. That, and comments she made in 1973 doubting that American POWs were being tortured, a view validated by later historians (the VC stopped torture in 1969).

It wasn’t as if she planned for the photo or orchestrated it herself. Was she naive to walk into that situation? Perhaps. But her activism started by talking to disillusioned veterans and then performing for active servicemen.

She might still be a vain narcissist, but the obsession with that stupid photo is just part of a larger conservative effort to blame America’s failure on the anti-war movement (and everything else “liberal”) rather than the corrupt and bloodthirsty military industrial complex.

by Anonymousreply 59September 3, 2022 1:48 AM

I supported her anti-war stance, but find it very hard to forgive her for "Stanley & Iris."

by Anonymousreply 60September 3, 2022 2:35 AM

[quote] Bill Maher recently went on an anti-obesity tirade and ended with "When is the last time you saw a fat 90-year-old?"

Well, that was easy enough to shoot down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61September 3, 2022 3:34 AM

^^^ Tell me about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62September 3, 2022 3:36 AM

[quote]She always took care of herself, exercising and probably ate right.

Are you talking about JANE FONDA, R52?

Jane Fonda, big smoker of tobacco and weed, bulimia, booze. I don't call that taking care of herself. Read her autobiography.

by Anonymousreply 63September 4, 2022 3:29 PM

R18 I presume you would also say that a Russian anti war celebrity posting a photo on a tank with the Ukrainian army or Azov would also be ‘shitty’?

If not don’t criticise Jane Fonda. The American army in Vietnam were the aggressors and needed to be opposed, just like the Russian needs to be opposed.

by Anonymousreply 64September 4, 2022 3:41 PM

I assumed that she has flushed her blood a decade ago and replaced it with formaldehyde and Chanel Cristalle.

by Anonymousreply 65September 4, 2022 6:04 PM

She was also a fairly heavy smoker, R54, despite trying to hide it from the public.

by Anonymousreply 66September 4, 2022 6:10 PM

R59, she has apologized for that photo a thousand times and meant it. I agree with everything else you've written.

by Anonymousreply 67September 4, 2022 6:12 PM

She’s a traitor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 4, 2022 6:34 PM

R68 you're an open gash filed with dead rotted jungle rats.

by Anonymousreply 69September 4, 2022 6:47 PM

Jackie On Assistance was a 3 pack a day smoker, and was probably in poor baseline health when she was diagnosed with lymphoma, despite only being in her sixties.

by Anonymousreply 70September 4, 2022 9:05 PM

I can't believe that people are bringing up this Hanoi Jane bullshit that happened almost 60 years ago AGAIN. Fucking idiots. She's proven herself over and over again to be pro-LGBT, pro-environment, pro-peace, and on and on. Give it a rest.

Hope she recovers. She's one of the good ones.

by Anonymousreply 71September 4, 2022 9:41 PM

R71 I know isn’t it silly? And she’s apologized only a million times for that photo (and meant it). She walks the walk more than most.

by Anonymousreply 72September 4, 2022 11:09 PM

R19, she isn't made of metal. More like rubber and silicone -- which in addition to her warnings about fossil fuels and pesticides -- may have played a role in her cancer.

by Anonymousreply 73September 5, 2022 6:44 AM

Nasty bitter senile DLers with low IQ who live in time warps always bring up the ancient, universally known putdown about any celebrity. Dusting off and repeating half century old snark is really all they have to hang onto.

by Anonymousreply 74September 5, 2022 7:08 AM

In the hour-long 1962 fly-on-the-wall documentary JANE, she's shown practically chain-smoking.

by Anonymousreply 75September 6, 2022 12:48 PM

Her brother, Peter, died at 79 of lung cancer.

by Anonymousreply 76September 6, 2022 11:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!