Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What do we think of Queen Margrethe II's glass sarcophagus?I

I think its incredibly beautiful, made of materials which are found in Denmark and its territories

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113September 6, 2022 7:45 AM

Yeah, that's pretty gaudy, I feel bad for her.

by Anonymousreply 1September 1, 2022 2:29 AM

Looks like a suppository.

by Anonymousreply 2September 1, 2022 2:32 AM

Does it reveal her rotting corpse?

by Anonymousreply 3September 1, 2022 2:34 AM

I love the idea of being buried in so Lalique-esque perfume bottle for some future alien explorer to discover. The piece on top is unfortunate, but those elephant supports don’t even seem related.

by Anonymousreply 4September 1, 2022 2:34 AM

She should have a kosher casket. All you have to do is dust it once a week with pledge. This thing will be a bitch to keep shining.

by Anonymousreply 5September 1, 2022 2:35 AM

I prefer Lenin's old school tomb.

It's very "holding a wake in the parlour.."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 1, 2022 2:39 AM

Then there's Kim Jon Il, who pretty much still looks the same.

Sort of like a stuffed wax figure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 1, 2022 2:41 AM

I love the blue glass and the shape but the gold stuff on top and the elephant pillars are too much. Not sure how…functional glass will be.

by Anonymousreply 8September 1, 2022 2:42 AM

Why did her husband not want to be buried alongside her? I understand he had mental issues near the end of his life.

by Anonymousreply 9September 1, 2022 2:45 AM

Yes, Queen Margrethe's coffin has developed an unfortunate crack...

(We think it's from all the gas!)

by Anonymousreply 10September 1, 2022 2:46 AM

I suppose the more important question is, “what does SHE think about it.”

by Anonymousreply 11September 1, 2022 2:51 AM

Looks tacky. Were they trying to imitate the lost crystal coffin of Alexander The Great, which was said to be beautiful? Currently, Napoleon’s grand tomb beats ‘em all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 1, 2022 3:03 AM

The Order of the Elephant is an order of chivalry and is Denmark's highest-ranked honour.

by Anonymousreply 13September 1, 2022 3:14 AM

She'd better not gain weight, seeing as they've already made a precise space for her shape

by Anonymousreply 14September 1, 2022 3:19 AM

I'll preface this by saying I'm against glass coffins and putting corpses on public display as a general rule.

If they're going to do it, the blue glass is beautiful, the elephant base is fine, I'm not keen on the gold folderol on the top but what do I know about Art? (Answer - not much)

by Anonymousreply 15September 1, 2022 3:20 AM

R9, her husband had a lifetime issue with the fact that he was never named King, and had to make-do with Prince. He had dementia in his final couple years, and made the decision not to be buried along side of his wife in that period.

by Anonymousreply 16September 1, 2022 3:21 AM

R15 the glass is transparent but becomes translucent in the center where the body will be. The body isn't visible.

by Anonymousreply 17September 1, 2022 3:23 AM

The glass will be dulled by a smoky haze anyway.

by Anonymousreply 18September 1, 2022 3:26 AM

Sponsored by Windex.

by Anonymousreply 19September 1, 2022 3:26 AM

Thanks, R16.

by Anonymousreply 20September 1, 2022 3:28 AM

It doesn't hold a candle to Nureyev's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 1, 2022 3:32 AM

My second favorite tomb is Nuriyev's...so creative.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 1, 2022 3:35 AM

Sorry, R21...we posted about the same time. Great minds...

by Anonymousreply 23September 1, 2022 3:36 AM

I mean it does make one feel as though they are trying to rush the old girl into the grave...

by Anonymousreply 24September 1, 2022 3:41 AM

It's very beautiful but when I exit this world I want to make a splash by honoring the world's greatest rock band!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 1, 2022 3:47 AM

This seems morbid.

I feel emboldened to comment because I lived in Solvang for many years and my daughter is named after Queen Margarethe.

by Anonymousreply 26September 1, 2022 4:02 AM

The sarcophagus itself looks like an iron maiden torture device cocooned inside an Advil liquid gel capsule, topped with a haphazard assemblage of gilded bric-a-brac purchased from the Hobby Lobby in Copenhagen. It’s a MESS.

by Anonymousreply 27September 1, 2022 4:17 AM

She better check in soon, or the mint on the pillow will melt.

by Anonymousreply 28September 1, 2022 5:42 AM

Looks like Russian Mafia shit, or something from India, they like gaudy.

by Anonymousreply 29September 1, 2022 5:47 AM

I like it. A bit showy, but hell why not?

by Anonymousreply 30September 1, 2022 5:49 AM

It looks like Michael Jackson’s oxygen rejuvenation chamber from Neverland Ranch.

by Anonymousreply 31September 1, 2022 6:19 AM

R4 I imagine the elephants on the supporting pillars reference the Danish Order of the Elephant, the country's highest chivalric honour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 1, 2022 6:25 AM

R15 As someone who finds incorrupt saints fascinating,, I don't mind seeing centuries old corpses inside see through coffins. As long as there's no smell.

It's those human taxidermy funerals where the body is out of the casket, propped up and posed on display that freak me out. They seem to be trending. Ghastly.

by Anonymousreply 33September 1, 2022 6:29 AM

This reminds me of when I studied in London. I was running around the UCL campus trying to find a specific room and ran into Jeremy Bentham’s body. Wish I’d had a warning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 1, 2022 6:40 AM

R33 - This is the very first thing that entered my mind when I first saw this thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 1, 2022 6:54 AM

It's magnificent. I'd be interested to get a closer look at the gilt work on top. Some articles mention a 'blooming garden" which honours the remark Prince Henrik made about his future with Marguerite at the time of their marriage, but it appears a great deal more is going on there.

Lovely.

by Anonymousreply 36September 1, 2022 8:15 AM

I share the fascination with the Incorruptibles. Neat that they bothered.

Human taxidermy funerals? I am afraid to search the internet for those.

by Anonymousreply 37September 1, 2022 8:39 AM

R22, how did you post at the same time when there’s a one hour difference between the 2 posts? Did you forget that you already posted that picture from your other DL account or do you have a cat named Bootsy Gumdrop?

by Anonymousreply 38September 1, 2022 9:05 AM

One does have to appreciate the historical throughline of self-important rulers sailing off into the afterlife with ostentatious "look at me!!!" self-celebrations. The body dies, but megalomania can live on for millennia.

by Anonymousreply 39September 1, 2022 9:24 AM

What if she says no to it?

It looks like a prop from Star Trek TNG.

by Anonymousreply 40September 1, 2022 9:27 AM

[quote] how did you post at the same time when there’s a one hour difference between the 2 posts?

R38 These two earnest Dataloungers posted at the same time while living in different time zones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 1, 2022 10:04 AM

This blue-glass lozenge is grotesque and irreligious.

by Anonymousreply 42September 1, 2022 10:12 AM

R33 Absolutely. Sunglasses and caps can't usually hide the fact that the deceased is just that.

by Anonymousreply 43September 1, 2022 10:12 AM

Funny how the bicycle royals aren’t above being buried in overly-extravagant trash.

by Anonymousreply 44September 1, 2022 10:17 AM

People who die in glass houses....

by Anonymousreply 45September 1, 2022 10:19 AM

Nureyev's is made thousands and thousands of mosaic tiles.

by Anonymousreply 46September 1, 2022 12:17 PM

We shouldn't be surprised about the fact that she has approved this tacky monstrosity to be her final resting place. After all, we're talking about a woman who was presented with the hideous perpetration below, and thought that wearing what looks like a 5-year-old's attempt at making paper flowers, was a wonderful idea.

She doesn't have an ounce of taste and is super flashy and gaudy in all her choices. Which goes to show that being born into royalty doesn't necessarily make anyone refined.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 1, 2022 12:36 PM

It is a hard look to carry off.

by Anonymousreply 48September 1, 2022 12:38 PM

It’s the same color as her teeth.

by Anonymousreply 49September 1, 2022 12:47 PM

I like it. It’s tacky, romantic and gaudy all at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 50September 1, 2022 1:14 PM

OP's article is from 2018.

by Anonymousreply 51September 1, 2022 1:15 PM

Her early childhood is very interesting, she was born a week after the Nazis invaded and occupied Denmark.

by Anonymousreply 52September 1, 2022 1:51 PM

Oh, so she’s literally a Hitler Jugend

by Anonymousreply 53September 1, 2022 2:00 PM

Amateurs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 1, 2022 2:07 PM

R44 What are you talking about? Denmark and The Netherlands are different countries. Do try to keep up.

by Anonymousreply 55September 1, 2022 2:17 PM

[quote]OP's article is from 2018.

Your point being?

by Anonymousreply 56September 1, 2022 2:19 PM

She'll never get her own rock opera.

by Anonymousreply 57September 1, 2022 2:24 PM

It does look like an Advil suppository.

Fun!

by Anonymousreply 58September 1, 2022 2:24 PM

I’d have opted for cremation with a blue Royal Dansk butter cookies tin for an urn.

by Anonymousreply 59September 1, 2022 2:27 PM

R37 Don’t look at this link!

Miriam looks fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 1, 2022 2:52 PM

If they’re going to have a taxidermy funeral for their loved one, why not go all out and do a horror theme, like The Monkey’s Paw? For instance, instead of playing poker in sunglasses, I think it would be fun to pose the deceased scratching at a door or window. It’s also a great way to save money on restorative work!

by Anonymousreply 61September 1, 2022 4:08 PM

This is a mess!

Who signed off on this greasy thing?!

by Anonymousreply 62September 1, 2022 4:31 PM

R60, I had that cab driver in San Francisco just last week

by Anonymousreply 63September 1, 2022 5:41 PM

It’s terrible! But I guess the wearer of The Golden Poppies headgear would have such a coffin.

by Anonymousreply 64September 1, 2022 6:41 PM

How dare you!

The Golden Poppies are exquisite!

by Anonymousreply 65September 1, 2022 7:01 PM

It calls to mind that underwater restaurant in Dubai.

by Anonymousreply 66September 1, 2022 7:02 PM

That poppy tiara also matches her teeth. Are whitestrips unavailable in Denmark?

by Anonymousreply 67September 1, 2022 7:04 PM

So Jeff Koons designs tombs for Danish royalty?

by Anonymousreply 68September 1, 2022 7:29 PM

Margrethe has always been an awkward dresser. Her daywear is unimaginable tailored and quite plain, with occasional weird color blocking and fake plastic jewelry. Her evening wear is like drag: big poofy skirts and shoulders in shiny satins and metallic threads. What saves her is her important family jewels which are quite old and she wears marvelously, and her tower of silver hair which gives her the look of an 18th century empress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69September 1, 2022 10:03 PM

I had no idea that the Danish were into the Trump aesthetic.

by Anonymousreply 70September 1, 2022 10:51 PM

This looks tacky as hell.

by Anonymousreply 71September 1, 2022 11:42 PM

OP, Americans as you know have zero interest in history and the symbolism attached to it so I wouldn't expect an intelligent discussion here.

by Anonymousreply 72September 2, 2022 12:29 AM

Please do explain it to us peons.

by Anonymousreply 73September 2, 2022 12:40 AM

R69 I've always thought that when a fashion designer asks the other Queens such as Elizabeth II or Beatrix(former Queen of the Netherlands) what they want, they just say the opposite of whatever you might have done for Margrethe.

by Anonymousreply 74September 2, 2022 1:07 AM

[quote]OP, Americans as you know have zero interest in history and the symbolism attached to it so I wouldn't expect an intelligent discussion here.

Great point, R72. For instance, the Comedy and Tragedy masks amongst the gilded array of symbols on top of the sarcophagus. Most Americans don’t know what they mean, and that the Danish invented theatre.

by Anonymousreply 75September 2, 2022 2:08 AM

I did not know that, r75.

by Anonymousreply 76September 2, 2022 2:10 AM

Cadavers are highly susceptible to mold infestation especially if exposed to warm, moist areas for an extended period of time.

by Anonymousreply 77September 2, 2022 2:19 AM

Good news for all you concern trolls worried about the Queen’s decomposing remains being on public display - she’s going to be entombed in a crypt UNDERNEATH this abomination. It’s actually a “sepulchral monument,” not a sarcophagus.

by Anonymousreply 78September 2, 2022 2:27 AM

So the figure in the center is just representative? She doesn’t go inside it?

I like it. Now I feel like I need one.

by Anonymousreply 79September 2, 2022 2:29 AM

The theatrical masks harken to Queen Margrethe’s passion for stage design and costuming.

by Anonymousreply 80September 2, 2022 2:35 AM

^Or shrieking queen.

by Anonymousreply 81September 2, 2022 2:41 AM

[quote] she’s going to be entombed in a crypt UNDERNEATH this abomination.

Absolutely INCORRECT.

The coffin is described as "a futuristic-looking glass case with an inner glass bubble - space for two life-sized royal figures –Queen Margrethe and her consort, Prince Henrik." When it was designed 15 years ago, Henrik was intended to be inside the four ton glass case next to Margrethe. When he declined that, it was too late to change the design, and it was completed as originally planned..to hold both of their remains. She will be placed inside the translucent inner bubble inside the glass case.

by Anonymousreply 82September 2, 2022 2:46 AM

Henrik sounds like quite the cunt!

by Anonymousreply 83September 2, 2022 2:50 AM

I’ve looked at pictures from all different angles and lighting, and it just looks like a Star Trek movie prop, tacky and overdone.

I don’t like it. The base is so busy, yet reminiscent of hotel furniture. The gold barge is a mess, overcrowded and silly.

It’s fucking undignified.

by Anonymousreply 84September 2, 2022 2:54 AM

What the hell, I think I’ll get one for myself, just for laughs. You can get a kit at Home Depot:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85September 2, 2022 3:31 AM

No, OP R82, YOU are incorrect:

[quote]The sarcophagus itself is of cast glass, and, in a hollow space in the glass, two figures representing The Queen and Prince Henrik are sand-blasted on the inner side. Allegories, heraldry and symbols in gilded bronze are found on the top. The Queen will be laid to rest in a crypt under the sepulchral monument.

In other words, it’s a monument made to LOOK like a sarcophagus, marking the burial spot of the Queen. That said, I admit it’s confusing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86September 2, 2022 3:53 AM

Is the plan to embalm her then?

by Anonymousreply 87September 2, 2022 4:32 AM

R87 As far as I know, embalming is not practiced in Denmark.

by Anonymousreply 88September 2, 2022 4:51 AM

Lenin's sarcophagus looks like they put heavy weights on the top, to keep him from getting out and feasting on the living.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89September 2, 2022 5:55 AM

My favorite royal tomb is that of Mary, Queen of Scots, in Westminster Abbey. It was built by her son, James I, close to the tomb of Mary's arch-enemy, Queen Elizabeth I. James deliberately made his mother's tomb was larger and more ostentatious that Elizabeth's! It's a "Fuck YOU" that still works after 500 years.

As for Margarethe's tomb, it looks glorious and original from some angles, cheap and tasteless from others. Not what I'd pick for myself if I were a queen... wait, a monarch.

by Anonymousreply 90September 2, 2022 6:01 AM

Sorry, here's Mary's tomb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91September 2, 2022 6:27 AM

[quote] [R87] As far as I know, embalming is not practiced in Denmark

As it will be transparent, cryogenic freezing might be an option. You obviously do not want to show decay.

by Anonymousreply 92September 2, 2022 7:02 AM

[quote]That poppy tiara also matches her teeth. Are whitestrips unavailable in Denmark?

They're the color of Cheddar cheese

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93September 2, 2022 7:29 AM

Can I smoke in there?

by Anonymousreply 94September 2, 2022 7:41 AM

Only if you’re cremated, Your Highness.

by Anonymousreply 95September 2, 2022 9:03 AM

Sorry, R86, you still don't understand the concept.

The glass is etched on the inner compartment for two reasons...to show the resting place of the Monarch prior to her being entombed inside, and also to mask the body once she is. This really isn't very difficult; link ANY source that states that she will be buried UNDER .her sarcophagus, the definition of which is a coffin into which a body is placed.

by Anonymousreply 96September 2, 2022 2:30 PM

I’m an American and I like history, contrary to the blanket statement made above. Just certain things in history. Maybe some Americans dislike history, but Don generalize us.

by Anonymousreply 97September 2, 2022 6:05 PM

It’s offensive to let your teeth get like that.

Why is she such a cunt?

by Anonymousreply 98September 2, 2022 6:13 PM

don’t generalize…damned iPad Air…

by Anonymousreply 99September 2, 2022 7:29 PM

R96 Are you talking about the ACTUAL sarcophagus/tomb down under the floor of the church, and not the representational monument above it? Because if the Queen were to be inserted into that tight space inside the glass capsule, her body would have to be thoroughly eviscerated and then mummified to prevent the anaerobic bacterial decay that would cause her corpse to bloat and, eventually, explode.

by Anonymousreply 100September 2, 2022 9:13 PM

The Danes know what they're doing. Not to worry about Margie's rotting corpse.

by Anonymousreply 101September 2, 2022 9:29 PM

FFS R96 you seem to be the only one that can’t grasp the concept…SHE WILL BE ENTOMBED INSIDE THE GLASS SARCOPHAGUS. It was designed to have enough room inside for both her and Prince Henrik, who has chosen to be cremated instead. THERE IS NO TOMB UNDER THE FLOOR, not has there ever been plans for one. The fact that you will something to be only works in fairy tales.

As I said previously, show us even one source that claims she will be buried in the floor.

by Anonymousreply 102September 2, 2022 9:36 PM

R102 See the official press release at R86.

by Anonymousreply 103September 2, 2022 9:38 PM

^sorry…the above response was for R100, not R96

by Anonymousreply 104September 2, 2022 9:39 PM

It looks like something you’d see in the front foyer of a Las Vegas Expo.

by Anonymousreply 105September 2, 2022 9:41 PM

R102 Specifically, the part of the press release at R86, which states:

[quote]The Queen will be laid to rest in a crypt under the sepulchral monument.

Note the terms “crypt” and “under,” OP.

by Anonymousreply 106September 2, 2022 9:43 PM

I love it!!

by Anonymousreply 107September 3, 2022 1:32 AM

How much is it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108September 3, 2022 2:03 AM

Allegedly the Danish and Norwegian royals are the most cash poor, totally supported by taxpayers. Don’t know about the Swedish royals. But King Harald of Norway is worth approximately $10 million USD. Maybe a lot to you and me, but po’ af compared with other royals in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 109September 4, 2022 2:40 AM

To me it resembles a flattened silicone tit supported by 3 beetles and with a solid-gold grasshopper sitting on top.

by Anonymousreply 110September 4, 2022 3:31 AM

I see other symbolic elements. The Queen’s crown, rendered in gold, is on the left along with the orb and scepter. A gold copy of a semi-abstract polar bear carved from narwhal is there, which normally sits on The Queen’s desk and can be seen at her annual New Years Speech, and a gold Dachsund, Margrethe and Henrik’s favorite breed of dog. I think I see grape leaves, which would harken to Henrik’s passion for winemaking and the royal couples chateau and vineyard in France.

by Anonymousreply 111September 6, 2022 2:23 AM

Sorry, but it's really a monstrosity.

by Anonymousreply 112September 6, 2022 2:47 AM

R111. Thanks. J'adore symbolism like this. Her choices are meaningful to her and rather sweet. Love the dog.

by Anonymousreply 113September 6, 2022 7:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!