Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Theatre Gossip #488: The "But Did Margie Hart Have Hairy Shoulders" Edition

Every sassy ingenue should!

by Anonymousreply 605August 31, 2022 3:30 AM

Link to previous thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 24, 2022 8:06 PM

How did Annaleigh Ashford become the go-to girl for prestige Sondheim revival and why was I ALWAYS denied?

by Anonymousreply 2August 24, 2022 8:29 PM

Sondheim doesn't go for stagehands getting blown in the wings, Betty!

by Anonymousreply 3August 24, 2022 8:31 PM

So how hairy are Ben's back and ass? Does it look like a black shag rug soon to be entirely grey and to be seen on Haulover?

by Anonymousreply 4August 24, 2022 9:21 PM

Whoever took that publicity picture of Ben must have worked for After Dark in the 70s. He just had better looking guys to take pictures of.

by Anonymousreply 5August 24, 2022 9:25 PM

You don't have *winsome* in your toolbox, Betty @ r2.

by Anonymousreply 6August 24, 2022 9:27 PM

Someone on the previous thread posted “Georgia Sotherm’s” autobiography - I thought that I was the only one on the planet who had a copy of it or ever read it. I am sure a lot is made up - it is a great read. She was known for her bright red hair and fast stripteasing to “Hold That Tiger.” I first Read it about 15 years ago - I thought it would make a great HBO miniseries with maybe Kirsten Dunst at that time. The problem was she was about 14 when she started stripping because she was orphaned and I can’t see anyone filming that story now. The character Gillian on Boardwalk Empire reminded me a little of her. ….There was very little written about her in later years - I always wondered if she stayed married to the doctor.

by Anonymousreply 7August 24, 2022 9:28 PM

I posted that, r7, and I even wrote her a letter in care of the publisher. I said she should take her book and turn it into a Broadway musical.

by Anonymousreply 8August 24, 2022 9:33 PM

[quote]Several of these Broadway composers seemed to know all about strippers.

Somethin' wrong with strippin'?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 24, 2022 10:03 PM

So why was doing 'scenes' demeaning exactly? And why couldn't you do both?

by Anonymousreply 10August 24, 2022 10:32 PM

You were just a feed to the comic.

by Anonymousreply 11August 24, 2022 10:34 PM

My bumper ain't bumpin'

by Anonymousreply 12August 24, 2022 10:36 PM

Thanks. I never quite got that.

by Anonymousreply 13August 24, 2022 10:36 PM

But did Margie Hart dress to the left as Ben Platt seems to in that photo?

by Anonymousreply 14August 24, 2022 10:37 PM

It looks to me like poor Ben Platt is trying to find himself. And he hasn't yet.

by Anonymousreply 15August 24, 2022 10:44 PM

Why do I think he will be dead soon? Hope not!

by Anonymousreply 16August 24, 2022 10:46 PM

Who the hell is Sally Rand?

by Anonymousreply 17August 24, 2022 10:58 PM

#8 / That is so interesting - the book was so dishy - lots of gangsters, prohibition- as I recall a lot of stuff in Florida - the whole thing was quite cinematic. To my frustration looking her up online gives me (even though she is Sothern) slot Georgia Sothern Railroad and Georgia Southern University!! Gypsy was a lady - Georgia was a Broad!!

by Anonymousreply 18August 24, 2022 11:05 PM

[quote]So why was doing 'scenes' demeaning exactly? And why couldn't you do both?

I’m a strip woman, slob. I don’t do scenes.

by Anonymousreply 19August 24, 2022 11:18 PM

Were Gale and Tempest related?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 24, 2022 11:28 PM

I don’t think I’ve ever witness a more horrific example of nepotistic entitlement and reward than Ben Platt. This is a “meh” persona on every level talent wise and truly repulsive on the physical front, that he’s steadfast in his tragic pursuit of a pop star career shows his level of insulated delusion. It mirrors the Beanie Feldstein FUNNY GIRL misfit dream debacle. Just spoiled children running manic for prestige and applause.

by Anonymousreply 21August 25, 2022 12:07 AM

Ben was successful in Dear Evan Hansen.... Beanie in Funny Girl, OTOH...

by Anonymousreply 22August 25, 2022 12:08 AM

Margie Hart! And Paul Valentine who played Joe one of Kirk Douglas' loves in OUT OF THE PAST was married to Lili St. Cyr......

by Anonymousreply 23August 25, 2022 12:17 AM

Litte known facts about Miss St. Cyr...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 25, 2022 12:41 AM

I liked a lot of the Company revival and thought the gender change brought some interesting elements to it. You could tell the cast enjoyed working with each other and it got more laughs than just about any other production I've seen. Lenk had some nice moments, but did seem a little too remote and chilly for the role. I usually love LuPone, but she felt miscast as well and I hope it's not her last Broadway role like she's mentioned. It was a fun show in an era with very few.

by Anonymousreply 25August 25, 2022 12:53 AM

What’s weird about Company is how much the narrative has changed. I’m the beginning it was being hailed as gorgeous retelling of a beloved classic, with a great gimmick, led by one of Broadway’s biggest stars, sure to be the big hit of the season.

Now it has petered out to be a quickly forgotten flop and the only thing people will remember is the viral video of Patti screaming at an anti-masker

by Anonymousreply 26August 25, 2022 1:21 AM

[quote]it was being hailed as gorgeous retelling of a beloved classic, with a great gimmick, led by one of Broadway’s biggest stars, sure to be the big hit of the season.

Not really, r26.

by Anonymousreply 27August 25, 2022 1:26 AM

Patty Lapone has always been a hard sell.

by Anonymousreply 28August 25, 2022 1:30 AM

I think it is very telling that Ben wanted some bulge in that photo and probably insisted it not be retouched out. Gross and tacky and desperate.

by Anonymousreply 29August 25, 2022 1:38 AM

Unless the retouching was done to *add* something that wasn't there.

by Anonymousreply 30August 25, 2022 1:42 AM

Patti is not a Joanne. The actress needs to have a bit of Upper East Side matron about her. Patti is Long Island working class. Joanne would think Patti was a manicurist.

by Anonymousreply 31August 25, 2022 1:42 AM

Patty? She's gonna be pissed!

by Anonymousreply 32August 25, 2022 1:43 AM

Stritch never read as money to me.

by Anonymousreply 33August 25, 2022 1:44 AM

Lupone is a good Joanne...hell shes been working the character for years.

by Anonymousreply 34August 25, 2022 1:46 AM

[QUOTE]Patty Lapone has always been a hard sell.

So is Sondheim.

by Anonymousreply 35August 25, 2022 1:48 AM

What’s weird about Stockard Channing is she has done several musicals in her career and YET the role she was born to play, Joanne in Company, she doesn’t play?

What gives?

by Anonymousreply 36August 25, 2022 1:49 AM

The size of the part.

by Anonymousreply 37August 25, 2022 1:50 AM

I don’t think Stockard could sing Ladies Who Lunch. Her singing was always nasal and I don’t think she summon up the “thrust” to make the ending thrilling from a musical standpoint.

I saw Debra Monk, who fit the description, but her Joanne was a disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 38August 25, 2022 1:56 AM

Pretty much the whole production was bland, r38. One critic saying the original was a gimlet and the Roundabout production a wine spritzer.

by Anonymousreply 39August 25, 2022 2:00 AM

Following up on 2 things from the previous thread . . .

-- Judging from her contribution to KINKY BOOTS, Annaleigh Ashford's many gifts do not, sadly, include a functioning Cockney accent.

-- Encores! most certainly has not "sliced and diced every show they've ever done" -- at least not musically. The books have always been trimmed/adapted, of course, and perhaps that what that poster meant. But Encores! has pretty consistently offered the entire original score. (There have been adjustments -- upward transposition for Christine Ebersole's numbers in APPLAUSE and downward ones for Leslie Uggams' numbers in PIPE DREAM, for example, or the rewritten ending of "Lucy and Jessie" in FOLLIES. But slicing and dicing the scores? No way.)

by Anonymousreply 40August 25, 2022 2:03 AM

Not even a wine spritzer! Fizzy water. Ah, someone should have taught her.

by Anonymousreply 41August 25, 2022 2:05 AM

Encores also stripped the lyrics from All Dark People in Babes in Arms, leaving it a tap number. That's basically what it was originally, with the Nicholas Brothers, but originally it had lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 42August 25, 2022 2:12 AM

Saw National Theatre Live's film of the play "Prima Facie" tonight at Symphony Space tonight. If this is coming to Broadway in Spring 2023, jar engrave the Best Play and Best Actress statuettes now.

by Anonymousreply 43August 25, 2022 2:47 AM

I think it's great gay men talking about and researching female strippers. Keeping their memories alive for all the straight men who would jack off watching and thinking about them. I mean everybody is dead but why not?

by Anonymousreply 44August 25, 2022 2:49 AM

Saw "Prima Facie" tonight at Symphony Space as part of National Theatre Live. This is coming to Broadway in the Spring. Engrave the Best Play and Best Actress Tonys now!

by Anonymousreply 45August 25, 2022 2:51 AM

r45 meet r43

by Anonymousreply 46August 25, 2022 2:52 AM

How much did it cost to have a raincoat cleaned back in the '30s?

by Anonymousreply 47August 25, 2022 2:52 AM

Has anyone heard anything about this upcoming Sweeney Todd being a reimagined take, not set in the classic London period? Someone mentioned hearing that it was going to be different, but they were unsure themselves, oh Lord that would be a big mistake!

by Anonymousreply 48August 25, 2022 2:53 AM

Paul Valentine sounds really cute and sexy opposite Jacqueline McKeever on the OCR of "Oh! Captain" doing the duet "We're Not Children". Fun show and score, with Tony Randall, the great Susan Johnson, Ed Platt (the Chief on "Get Smart" who had a fine singing voice) and on the recording Eileen Rogers in for Abbe Lane, who couldn't record due to her own recording company refusing to let her do so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 25, 2022 2:59 AM

They're not taking any chances with Annaleigh's accent work so they've moved the pie shop to Colorado.

by Anonymousreply 50August 25, 2022 3:03 AM

There's a song called "There's No Place Like London", so it would be a little difficult to put the piece in a different setting. A different period perhaps, but not a different setting.

by Anonymousreply 51August 25, 2022 3:07 AM

Wasn't the Michael Ball London production set in the 1930s?

by Anonymousreply 52August 25, 2022 3:21 AM

Ok - I don’t know if she would have been able to sing it - at a certain point in her life Suzanne Pleshette would have been a fun earthy Joanne.

by Anonymousreply 53August 25, 2022 3:24 AM

What theater is Sweeney aiming for?

I hope they have huge sets like the original did. I'd like to see it done full out like in 1979.

by Anonymousreply 54August 25, 2022 3:27 AM

Alexis Smith or Yvonne De Carlo might have been fun.

by Anonymousreply 55August 25, 2022 3:27 AM

[R52] It was around that time, yes. Although clearly modernized, it did not make much difference. You can judge by yourself

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 25, 2022 3:36 AM

Pleshette must have sung well enough to be under consideration for Gypsy.

Oh, and it wasn't the critics who thought Margie Hart was utterly utter, it was the natives...

by Anonymousreply 57August 25, 2022 3:37 AM

The COMPANY that never was ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 25, 2022 3:46 AM

I hope she goes with Kit Andree hair, r50.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 25, 2022 3:50 AM

Thank you for posting the Jerry Orbach & Mitzi Gaynor clip etc - I thought that Jane Withers was really good …

by Anonymousreply 60August 25, 2022 4:04 AM

[quote]Encores also stripped the lyrics from All Dark People in Babes in Arms,

I refer you to R9.

by Anonymousreply 61August 25, 2022 4:14 AM

‘Hamilton’ To Donate Financial Damages From Texas Church To LGBTQIA+ Coalition:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 25, 2022 5:49 AM

[quote]Patty Lapone has always been a hard sell.

And, apparently, a hard spell.

by Anonymousreply 63August 25, 2022 6:34 AM

I wish it was Toni Collette as Mrs. Lovett. I think she'd kill in the part.

by Anonymousreply 64August 25, 2022 6:39 AM

[quote]I don’t think Stockard could sing Ladies Who Lunch. Her singing was always nasal and I don’t think she summon up the “thrust” to make the ending thrilling from a musical standpoint.

Please, she couldn't be any worse than that caterwauling mess Strich did every night. Tomatoes should have been thrown.

by Anonymousreply 65August 25, 2022 9:48 AM

The queens on broadwayworld said the site crashed for members when buying their Merrily We Roll Along tickets.

Will there be seats left for general public?

by Anonymousreply 66August 25, 2022 11:06 AM

[quote] What theater is Sweeney aiming for?

Lu Fo

by Anonymousreply 67August 25, 2022 11:49 AM

r58

that was interesting

by Anonymousreply 68August 25, 2022 11:50 AM

No, r66. None.

by Anonymousreply 69August 25, 2022 12:00 PM

The new Sweeney will be set aboard a large space ship called London.

by Anonymousreply 70August 25, 2022 12:33 PM

I find it peculiar how Toni Colette's name seems to come up so often as the actress so many want to see starring in a classic Broadway musical like Sweeney or Mame or other shows. Where does the evidence of her talent for this sort of thing come from? Did that many people see her in The Wild Party? I know her mostly from her more recent film and TV work in which she usually plays rather dowdy working class women, brilliantly of course, but still.....I don't quite get the adoration for her in the other medium.

by Anonymousreply 71August 25, 2022 12:50 PM

Toni is rather infamous for close but no cigar casting, e.g. Roxie Hart in the movie of CHICAGO.

by Anonymousreply 72August 25, 2022 12:54 PM

She was the best thing about Wild Party.

by Anonymousreply 73August 25, 2022 1:11 PM

And Mrs. Lovett in the film of Sweeney Todd.

by Anonymousreply 74August 25, 2022 1:12 PM

The hairy shouldered guy ( r585) in the last thread was indeed hot. Of course, the visible jockstrap band went a long way in that department.

by Anonymousreply 75August 25, 2022 1:14 PM

A new LMM musical! I'm sure DLers will just love this

[quote]Start spreading the news! A new musical loosely based on Martin Scorsese’s 1977 film New York, New York will begin performances on Broadway, theater to be announced, in March 2023. Opening night will be in April, with Tony and Olivier Award winner Susan Stroman on board to direct and choreograph.

[quote]The show — of course it’s called New York, New York — will feature numbers written for the movie by legendary songwriting duo John Kander and Fred Ebb (Chicago, The Scottsboro Boys, Cabaret). Lin-Manuel Miranda (Hamilton) will write additional lyrics for new Kander tunes, Deadline has learned.

[quote]Four Kander and Ebb songs were used in Scorsese’s MGM film, including the fabled title track that will definitely feature big in the Broadway show.

[quote]Casting breakdowns for New York, New York were being issued today. The production is believed to have a cast of 31 and an orchestra of 19 musicians.

[quote]Producers Sonia Friedman (Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, The Ferryman) and Tom Kirdahy (Inheritance) have assigned David Thompson, a frequent Kander and Ebb collaborator (he worked with them on The Scottsboro Boys and Steel Pier) to write the book. Sharon Washington will co-write the show; Washington won acclaim for the solo stage show Feeding the Dragon which was subsequently produced as a successful audio play by Audible.

[quote]Other members of the creative team include Sam Davis, music supervision and arrangements; Daryl Waters and Davis, orchestrations; David Loud, vocal arrangements; and music direction by Alvin Hough Jr.

[quote]Foresight Theatrical is handling general management. Casting’s being handled by Jim Carnahan Casting’s Jim Carnahan and Jason Thinger.

[quote]Deadline understands that the characters played by Robert De Niro and Liza Minnelli in the 1977 film will not appear in the new iteration. Indeed, our reporting indicates that the new New York, New York will feature little of Scorsese’s storyline.

[quote]It will still be set in postwar 1946, but the focus will be about a city in recovery, plus the casting and story will be inclusive.

[quote]Deadline has been tracking the show for some time; it’s been in development for four years; a fully-staged, hush-hush workshop was done in New York several months ago.

[quote]A Broadway powerhouse who attended the workshop but who declined us permission to use their name told us that the performance was “profoundly beautiful and special.”

[quote]They continued: “It’s about this city; this social experiment of people from all walks of life. Simply put, it’s about New York with a big band, big cast and show-stopping dance numbers. The thing to remember is that it’s not the film, it’s a million miles away from the film, just to be clear.”

It's not the film, we're just using the name and songs from the film, why would anyone think it's based on the film?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 25, 2022 1:35 PM

Ghastly, just ghastly.

by Anonymousreply 77August 25, 2022 2:00 PM

Carrie Hope Fletcher seems to work a lot in the West End. Is she really that great?

by Anonymousreply 78August 25, 2022 2:10 PM

[quote]I wish it was Toni Collette as Mrs. Lovett. I think she'd kill in the part.

I had no idea she was a Method actor.

by Anonymousreply 79August 25, 2022 2:12 PM

Terrific. Susan Stroman at the helm of the doomed stage version of New York, New York with additional songs by Lin-Manuel. What could possibly go wrong?

by Anonymousreply 80August 25, 2022 2:13 PM

New York New York: The New Hit Tourist Trap Musical

by Anonymousreply 81August 25, 2022 2:19 PM

From previous thread: I think Ben Platt is sorta cute but that photo of him for his concerts is completely out of character. Someone said "Try to sell this with a sex angle" but he's just not that. He looks uncomfortable and awkward. And it is a bit presumptuous to think he will sell out Madison Square Garden. The only ones who do that are Streisand, McCartney, John, Joel, etc.

As for Andrew Rannells.....ewwww. The guy is too creepy for me and not attractive. I read his autobiography and it was very pity-party and "Ooooo, I'm in love!" with every chorus boy who walks into the room.

by Anonymousreply 82August 25, 2022 2:20 PM

I… I don’t understand that horrifying picture of Ben Platt. Whoever approved that needs to be fired and driven out of the business. Also, he actually thought he had a shot filling Madison Square Garden? That’s fucking hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 83August 25, 2022 2:23 PM

r78 No, but she has a large social media following

by Anonymousreply 84August 25, 2022 2:27 PM

Platt looks like a “before” portfolio photo from someone that does at-home electrolysis and black market silicone injections.

by Anonymousreply 85August 25, 2022 2:31 PM

Platt always looks unwashed to me. And he has a weak mouth and beady little eyes. Other than that, though...

by Anonymousreply 86August 25, 2022 2:41 PM

More about NEW YORK, NEW YORK stage musical:

"The 1977 film tracks a jazz saxophonist and a pop singer, played on screen by Robert De Niro and Liza Minnelli, respectively, whose marriage falls apart after their careers take them on different paths. The stage musical will reportedly not include either of these characters nor much of the film's storyline, though, like the film, it will be set in 1946 New York City."

This, at least, is a wise choice. I really liked Liza in the film, but her character is physically and emotionally abused by the DeNiro character, who is meant to be some tortured soulful jazz artist but is mostly a psychopath. "And The World Goes Round" is a great song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87August 25, 2022 3:01 PM

I saw New York, New York in the theatre when it was first released. Much of the audience expected a happy sappy musical and had no idea an abusive relationship was at the core of the film. I thought it was brave even at 15 years old and DeNiro and Liza are brilliant. And I love the ending. She’d had enough and wasn’t going back.

by Anonymousreply 88August 25, 2022 3:17 PM

How silly to expect happy clappy from Scorsese.

by Anonymousreply 89August 25, 2022 3:19 PM

I agree. I loved Liza, her big songs, the decor, especially in the night clubs scene really got the time period right. But after De Niro's courtship of Liza, practically every scene he has with Liza was something out of a horror movie. The tone of the movie changed into another genre, and it really was jarring. The musical numbers were great though.

by Anonymousreply 90August 25, 2022 3:21 PM

Scorsese was criticized for making Liza up to look like Judy, especially in the nightclub scenes. When an interviewer asked him about it, he said "What can I tell you? Put a wig on her and she looks like her mother."

by Anonymousreply 91August 25, 2022 3:25 PM

Scorsese went a little too far with the Mama thing, including that schene where they arrive at the cabins after they get married. It's a direct schteal from the same schene in A Star Is Born.

by Anonymousreply 92August 25, 2022 3:34 PM

Don't forget back when Scorcese was "directing" Liza on Bway in THE ACT (while they were involved with one another and with a nonstop coke binge). He was basically fired but retained director's credit, at least on IBDB.com.

I don't understand people who hate everything about musicals and musical theatre who try to make musicals.

by Anonymousreply 93August 25, 2022 3:44 PM

Shine It On! was a disaster out of town on the west coast. It ambled on aimlessly over three hours. After the producers paid Scorsese off to go away, they brought in Gower Champion to fix it. He didn't have time to do much but he cut the show in half by cutting most of the book and basically turned the show into a Liza concert with clothes by Halston, so at least the audiences felt like they were getting their money's worth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94August 25, 2022 3:56 PM

Sounds like a good role for Laura Osnes 🫣

by Anonymousreply 95August 25, 2022 4:01 PM

[Quote] I don't understand people who hate everything about musicals and musical theatre who try to make musicals.

Ego.

by Anonymousreply 96August 25, 2022 4:05 PM

Oh, c'mon. I said it when the movie came out and I'm saying it now. NY,NY is Liza's Star is Born. Barbra's version came out the year before. Liza's/Scorcese's version is just more grounded in reality. Two diverging careers, a realistic ending to their relationship.No big Norman Maine death. Liza's Happy Endings/Born in a Trunk. The problem was you don't really care about the two.

by Anonymousreply 97August 25, 2022 4:16 PM

Liza , wig or not, never looked like her mother.

by Anonymousreply 98August 25, 2022 4:25 PM

Just now seeing the Ben Platt poster. Good lord, why are they pushing so hard to make him sexy? He's really character-y, and will have a great career. But he's not a leading man in the traditional sense. Good lord.

The Deb Monk recording of Ladies Who Lunch is awful, she just screams it. And I like Deb Monk!

by Anonymousreply 99August 25, 2022 4:26 PM

The problem with NY NY is the Robert Dinero character is so unlikeable you don’t root for them to get together.

by Anonymousreply 100August 25, 2022 4:29 PM

R100-You mean Bobby Moneybags?

by Anonymousreply 101August 25, 2022 4:30 PM

r99 You have no idea how hard it is for leading men types like me and Ben

by Anonymousreply 102August 25, 2022 4:31 PM

Girls...girls!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103August 25, 2022 4:33 PM

Is no one reading that press release on New York, New York??

The musical will only use the film's title, some Kander & Ebb songs and the 1946 period of the film. Everything else, including the lead characters is being rewritten..

by Anonymousreply 104August 25, 2022 4:38 PM

[quote]He's really character-y, and will have a great career.

But Ben Platt is not having a great career. He was positioned as a star in the movie of DEAR EVAN HANSEN and it flopped. And he flopped. (I saw him do it onstage on Bway, and thought he was wonderful, FWIW. I also enjoyed him back in the PITCH PERFECT movies in a minor role.) It will be difficult for him to step back into 2nd and 3rd banana roles, assuming he gets those offers, unless his producer father goes on creating endless stage and film projects for him. He's not easy to cast.

He's got some things in the pipeline, including the movie of MWRA, which sounds... godawful. Platt will never starve, but I think he's already peaked.

by Anonymousreply 105August 25, 2022 4:39 PM

R104, I'm sure most people read the press release, and/or the discussion here, but they're still allowed to comment on the characters as presented in the movie of NEW YORK, NEW YORK. I only saw the film once, when it was first released, and my main memory of it was that the DeNiro character was incredibly annoying and loathsome from the very first scene, when he won't leave the Liza character alone as he relentlessly tries to get her phone number and won't take no for an answer.

by Anonymousreply 106August 25, 2022 4:44 PM

[quote] He's really character-y, and will have a great career.

How do you figure? Character actors are usually hired because they can act. Ben Platt, while possessing a lovely singing voice, cannot act for shit. Couple that with his not exactly being easy on the eyes and an ever-dwindling fan base means there's not much reason to hire him for anything.

by Anonymousreply 107August 25, 2022 4:46 PM

I thought it was somewhat amusing that they had to add Sharon Washington (WHO???) as a co-book writer even though all she's done is some solo thing for Audible. Gotta make sure you have a woke hire, and guess LMM doesn't check enough boxes. We see how well that worked for Paradise Square.

by Anonymousreply 108August 25, 2022 4:49 PM

[quote]Gotta make sure you have a woke hire, and guess LMM doesn't check enough boxes.

[quote]Gotta have a certain quota of African-American hires SPECIFICALLY -- Asians, Latinos, et al. don't check enough boxes.

by Anonymousreply 109August 25, 2022 4:55 PM

That's it! Ben Platt and Beanie Feldstein star as Punch and Judy in Susan Stroman's New York, New York!!

by Anonymousreply 110August 25, 2022 4:56 PM

I’ve posted this back in various older TG threads about Ben Platt, I thought he was really terrific in DEH, then not long after seeing the show, I was at a small gathering where he was also, and he was EXACTLY like Evan Hansen! What I thought was an inspired performance was actually more of a documentary, he was nothing but odd speech, tics, spit and sweat, it was horrific. It’s more like OH DEAR, BEN PLATT, for me now, especially after seeing DEH again with an age appropriate and wonderful actor in the role. Platt’s turn in the movie exposed everything wrong with him as a talent, nightmarish.

by Anonymousreply 111August 25, 2022 5:02 PM

Love Deb Monk. She’s everybody’s girl.

by Anonymousreply 112August 25, 2022 5:03 PM

She was nobody's Joanne.

by Anonymousreply 113August 25, 2022 5:30 PM

God, "Everybody's Girl" in Steel Pier is just awful... as is that Chenowith number.

Steel Pier, a show with some excellent music but a ridiculous plot.

by Anonymousreply 114August 25, 2022 5:32 PM

I saw STEEL PIER in previews on Bway, back where we were all anticipating great things.

I don't recall any of the music being excellent, frankly. It was all underwhelming--and I really like Kander and Ebb.

by Anonymousreply 115August 25, 2022 5:35 PM

I saw Steel Pier and that show was dead, as in audience bored out of their mind, until Debra Monk sang Everybody’s Girl. She took that show from zero to 70 in about three minutes. Unfortunately, when she was done the energy faded and the show limped along until intermission.

Steel Pier and Nick & Nora were two shows I saw that had so many advantages with initial premise and turned out to bomb so badly.

by Anonymousreply 116August 25, 2022 5:36 PM

If Kander & Ebb had actually gotten the rights to musicalize THEY SHOOT HORSES, DON'T THEY as planned, it would have been a lot more interesting. I don't know if HORSES would work as a musical, but it certainly would been better than STEEL PIER.

Director Anne Bogart created an original depression-era musical called MARATHON DANCING (I think) in the early 90s which was kind of wonderful. It used period era songs and featured couples competing for a cash prize. Victoria Clark was in it. Does anyone remember that?

by Anonymousreply 117August 25, 2022 5:42 PM

R117, I wanted to see Marathon Dancing and could never find the time to get there. Didn’t they stage it in a Masonic auditorium, maybe on 23rd Street?

by Anonymousreply 118August 25, 2022 5:46 PM

Thee rights to the film of They Shoot Horses, Don't They? have always been a mess because June Havoc sued, claiming the film infringed on her play Marathon 33. This despite the film was adapted from a novel of the same name. The producers finally had to pay her off to go away but the situation was complicated I think the rights are still messed up.

by Anonymousreply 119August 25, 2022 5:49 PM

Maybe as Ben Platt ages, he’ll become a producer. Then we’ll see him, Jordan Roth and Billy Porter all trying to outdo each other at the Tony Awards.

by Anonymousreply 120August 25, 2022 5:50 PM

Debra Monk hauled out "Everybody's Girl" to every benefit, Kander & Ebb tribute, and shoeshine stand for about a decade. She always acted like it was the CLASSIC and the audience(s) always sat their silent because the song's jokes can be smelled miles away. It was so weird.

by Anonymousreply 121August 25, 2022 5:56 PM

Yes, R118, that was the space they used, and it was kind of amazing. I've never seen live performances there since.

by Anonymousreply 122August 25, 2022 5:57 PM

Ben Platt and Beanie Feldstein should star in every two-hander there is, that way their fans can go and the rest of us can avoid.

Same Time, Next Year, I Do, I Do, They're Playing Our Song, etc, etc...and eventually The Gin Game.

by Anonymousreply 123August 25, 2022 5:58 PM

R80, the new songs will have music by John Kander; Lin-Manuel Miranda is writing lyrics only.

R108, Sharon Washington wrote her acclaimed solo play, FEEDING THE DRAGON, and was in THE SCOTTSBORO BOYS so she has a relationship with John Kander and Susan Stroman.

by Anonymousreply 124August 25, 2022 6:06 PM

"Very occasionally a production comes along that redefines a classic musical for a generation. After a hugely successful sold-out run at the Young Vic, we’re thrilled to transfer Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Oklahoma! to the West End in its 80th anniversary year and bring the production to the wider U.K. audience it deserves.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125August 25, 2022 6:26 PM

[quote]I don't know if HORSES would work as a musical, but it certainly would been better than STEEL PIER.

I don't see how it would, r117. It's pretty much non-stop bleak. Steel Pier just had a ridiculous premise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126August 25, 2022 6:30 PM

Is NY,NY streamable anywhere. JustWatch doesn't list anything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127August 25, 2022 6:50 PM

I fell in love with Sharon Washington after seeing her in WILD WITH HAPPY at the Public some years ago. She was fantastic.

As for Ben Platt, I saw him in DEH off Broadway and thought he was great in it, and I was happy he got the Tony for it. Unfortunately, it's been diminishing returns ever since.

I was never a big Liza fan earlier in her career. I found her too needy and annoying. NEW YORK, NEW YORK was the first time I liked her, mainly because DiNiro was SO annoying that it made her look good in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 128August 25, 2022 6:54 PM

[Quote] KPOP, whose box office opens today, is offering a limited number of $19 tickets, sold in person at the box office for today only, in honor of the 19 members of the KPOP company making their Broadway debuts.

Do we smell a Korean flop?

by Anonymousreply 129August 25, 2022 6:55 PM

Poor Platt was also terrible in that godawful Netflix series The Politician which had him as the lead. Surrounding him with more talented actors just made it so much more apparent that he's not that interesting on screen and has very few notes to play. The entire series seems to have been totally forgotten and it would appear everyone involved is thankful.

by Anonymousreply 130August 25, 2022 7:16 PM

[quote]What theater is Sweeney aiming for?

The Mu Bo.

by Anonymousreply 131August 25, 2022 7:18 PM

"The Last Girl" from STEEL PIER is a very beautiful and moving song, and there are some other highlights in the score, but also a lot of songs that are second- or third-rate.

by Anonymousreply 132August 25, 2022 7:21 PM

[quote]Debra Monk hauled out "Everybody's Girl" to every benefit, Kander & Ebb tribute, and shoeshine stand for about a decade. She always acted like it was the CLASSIC and the audience(s) always sat their silent because the song's jokes can be smelled miles away.

Plus, one of the jokes is so vulgar and off-putting, the one that ends "I just can't keep my calves together."

by Anonymousreply 133August 25, 2022 7:28 PM

One problem with Steel Pier was Act 1 ended with the entire cast running in a circle.

Note to future theater artists: don’t end Act 1 with something the audience can do in their backyard.

by Anonymousreply 134August 25, 2022 7:30 PM

Steel Pier...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135August 25, 2022 7:40 PM

I think the OCR of "Steel Pier" is quite listenable -- though I do skip the stupid Chenoweth number. And Debra Monk is too damn over the top. She almost makes Merman seem subtle in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 136August 25, 2022 8:08 PM

Oh, Gregory Harrison. So hot, so handsome.

So competent and DULL onstage. Another Treat Williams.

by Anonymousreply 137August 25, 2022 8:08 PM

Anyone know why they cut so many songs from this album(the Sondheim scrabble album)?

I found lots of the cut songs on YT so they do exist

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138August 25, 2022 8:16 PM

A guess, r138, is that a lot of the cut numbers were represented on cast albums, same songs, same performers. So whether it was a rights issues from the cast recordings or just redundancy it seems they cut stuff that was already on record. That said, care to share some links of your finds?

by Anonymousreply 139August 25, 2022 8:27 PM

Julie Benko was out yesterday afternoon so the audience got to see the understudy’s understudy.

by Anonymousreply 140August 25, 2022 8:42 PM

[quote]Do we smell a Korean flop?

It's just some kimchi that turned.

by Anonymousreply 141August 25, 2022 8:49 PM

Julie Benko was never the understudy. She was the standby.

by Anonymousreply 142August 25, 2022 8:49 PM

There's only so much room on a vinyl disc, r138.

by Anonymousreply 143August 25, 2022 8:58 PM

10 and a Half Minutes of Original Korean Evita Album Highlights

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144August 25, 2022 9:00 PM

About 15 years ago, I saw a scaled down production of Steel Pier at a little theatre on the Cape. It was clear, the book worked, no dazzle-dazzle, just a simple musical played in a lower key, and I enjoyed it more than the Broadway fiasco.

by Anonymousreply 145August 25, 2022 9:20 PM

I agree about “Everybody’s Girl” it’s got a great melody and is hummable…but the jokes are hokey even for elder gays who applaud everything.

I’ve seen the number many times where the audience is stone faced.

What’s sad is it’s a great song in structure and *should* be a showstopper. I think Bea Arthur could have had a hit with it or Elaine Stritch.

Debra Monk played it like dinner theatre though.

by Anonymousreply 146August 25, 2022 9:44 PM

I couldn't even get through that 12 minute promo tape of STEEL PIER. True, it's only highlights but was the entire show so relentlessly slap-happy, perky and cheery? Including Ms Monk's "showstopper?" Marathon dances were sordid, gruesome and exhausting, obviously not the material for a fast-paced Broadway musical.

Have you all made the connection yet that the STEEL PIER librettist was David Thompson who's also writing the libretto for NEW YORK, NEW YORK? Kander and Stro must love him, to their own detriment, though maybe Sharon Washington actually will bring something fresh to the project.

I saw a student production of June Havoc's MARATHON '33 at Rutgers U. way back in early 1980s and remember it fondly. As it was a student production it was given the huge young cast and energy it required and I think it was performed in the round, which worked very well for the material.

by Anonymousreply 147August 25, 2022 9:49 PM

Paula Vogel's (non-musical) adaptation of "They Shoot Horses" was scheduled to play in London but seems to have been cancelled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148August 25, 2022 9:56 PM

I think the Vogel production was only canceled due to early days of Covid. I hope it happens now.

by Anonymousreply 149August 25, 2022 10:11 PM

And the understudy has gone on before, once prior to this.

by Anonymousreply 150August 25, 2022 10:12 PM

r143

I get that but there are some great songs they left off sadly

by Anonymousreply 151August 25, 2022 10:13 PM

I believe there is audio of the full Sondheim "scrabble" concert in circulation.

by Anonymousreply 152August 25, 2022 10:35 PM

r152

you can find most of them on youtube thankfully... this is not the greatest though

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153August 25, 2022 10:42 PM

I remember seeing Steel Pier, kind of being dragged to it because I'd heard it wasn't very good, and really enjoying it, though I remember very little about it now. The things I do recall:

- It was the first time I had ever seen Cheno and I thought she was amazing, and deserved the Tony nomination much more than Debra Monk.

- Debra Monk was actually kind of terrible, or at least she was not really given anything integral to the story, and I felt like they basically said to her- go out and do that Debra Monk thing you usually do.

- Daniel McDonald was one of the most handsome men I'd ever seen and I was very taken with him.

- Karen Ziemba could sing and dance, but she gave a horrendous acting performance.

I don't think i knew it was about a dance marathon when I went in or I would have been more excited to see it, as I love They Shoot Horses. So once I was in there, I was probably predisposed to be intrigued. Who knows what I would think now. Back then I was young and not jaded.

by Anonymousreply 154August 25, 2022 11:03 PM

"Steel Pier" at the Tonys

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155August 25, 2022 11:06 PM

Steel Pier "Everybody's Girl" Debra Monk, Rosie O'Donnell Show, 1997

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156August 25, 2022 11:09 PM

The Scrabble album was a two disk set.

by Anonymousreply 157August 25, 2022 11:18 PM

Everybody talks about Chenoweth in Steel Pier but she’s not in any of the promo clips.

by Anonymousreply 158August 25, 2022 11:21 PM

The Scrabble album was, indeed, a two-record set, but of course, there were still limitations on how much music could be fit onto those two records.

by Anonymousreply 159August 25, 2022 11:23 PM

[quote]Daniel McDonald was one of the most handsome men I'd ever seen and I was very taken with him.

Agreed. And a sweetheart, too. Rest in peace.

by Anonymousreply 160August 25, 2022 11:24 PM

Kristi Dawn was still a near unknown at that point. It was her first part on Broadway and a small one at that.

by Anonymousreply 161August 25, 2022 11:33 PM

Ben Platt is a sexy mofo. But, Andy Randells? Not even in the dark with the lights behind her.

by Anonymousreply 162August 25, 2022 11:41 PM

I bought a bootleg of the Scrabble concert (audio) years ago, probably on ebay. It includes all of the intros, as well as the cut songs—lots of gaffes and mispronunciations, as you'd expect for a concert that didn't have a lot of rehearsal time. But it's fun.

by Anonymousreply 163August 25, 2022 11:52 PM

I feel bad for Karen Ziemba. She’s just kinda…there. She’s a ship in a bottle. Perfect… yet useless

by Anonymousreply 164August 25, 2022 11:52 PM

"In the dusk, with a light behind her," R162.

by Anonymousreply 165August 25, 2022 11:57 PM

[quote]and a small one at that.

Whaddya mean by *that*, r161???

by Anonymousreply 166August 26, 2022 12:17 AM

[quote]and a small one at that.

She made the most of it.

by Anonymousreply 167August 26, 2022 12:19 AM

And such small portions.

by Anonymousreply 168August 26, 2022 12:20 AM

[quote]There's a song called "There's No Place Like London", so it would be a little difficult to put the piece in a different setting. A different period perhaps, but not a different setting.

I'm not saying they should, but they could set it in London in Kentucky, Ohio, Arkansas, Texas or West Virginia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169August 26, 2022 12:34 AM

What do we think of this little-known song by the late master, Sondheimites? It's from the score for "For Singin' Out Loud," a movie musical that never got made.

I think the singer is okay, but no better. I'm more interested in what people think of the song itself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170August 26, 2022 12:41 AM

The thing I remember about STEEL PIER was that there was the reality and the fantasy, but the reality Steel Pier looked adorable and fairy tale like, and not sleazy and run down, so there was no differentation between the two. The set designer should have been shot for that. Everybody's Girl, I found forgettable, but I loved Monk's second act number. And yes, Cheno was amazing in her number, and made me take notice. Not much else to notice in it, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 171August 26, 2022 1:19 AM

R170, I think Sondheim has written that the song "Sand" is supposed to be a mediocre song in the context of the film.

by Anonymousreply 172August 26, 2022 1:21 AM

I thought "Water Under the Bridge" was supposed to be the mediocre pop song. "When it's done, will we still have fun? When it ends, will we still be friends?" etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173August 26, 2022 1:28 AM

Madonna Sings Sondheim

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174August 26, 2022 1:32 AM

The amazingly sexy Jim Newman was opposite Cheno in Steel Pier but he wasn't given much to do.

by Anonymousreply 175August 26, 2022 2:52 AM

R117, Bogart had wanted to stage Marathon 33, but Havoc (who would not be present for rehearsals) wanted co-director credit.

by Anonymousreply 176August 26, 2022 3:09 AM

Miss Harris

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177August 26, 2022 3:27 AM

I always heard that Adelaide in the 1992 guys and dolls was between Karen Ziemba, and faith, Prince. Would Karen‘s career have gone differently?

Also, isn’t Christopher McDonald of hacks, etc. the brother of the late Daniel McDonald?

by Anonymousreply 178August 26, 2022 4:01 AM

R178 Yes, Christopher, (star of Grease 2), is his brother.

by Anonymousreply 179August 26, 2022 4:32 AM

Oh yea, Madonna singing Sondheim songs... songs SS wrote for the film "Dick Tracy" (now there's a terrible movie). I bought the cassette of that music, was really, really impressed with her performance of the songs.

But her performance as Breathless Mahoney? And Mandy P as the character 88 Keys? Oy and vey is an understatement AND true examples of 'Things My Brain Retains and I Don't Know Why'.

by Anonymousreply 180August 26, 2022 10:19 AM

I can’t even imagine Karen Ziemba in that Guys & Dolls revival. Maybe as Sarah but never as Adelaide. She just doesn’t have the comic chops.

by Anonymousreply 181August 26, 2022 10:59 AM

It was down to the wire between Karen Ziemba and Crista Moore for BIG also… though it seems Karen lucked out on that one.

by Anonymousreply 182August 26, 2022 11:47 AM

Maybe you're right, r173.

by Anonymousreply 183August 26, 2022 12:28 PM

"Water Under the Bridge" has banal lyrics, but it's a catchy hook.

by Anonymousreply 184August 26, 2022 12:34 PM

Papermill Playhouse has announced their new season. It’s a bit of a mixed bag. Everything from The Sound of Music to Rent. Who exactly is their subscription base?

Murder on the Orient Express. I never knew this had been adapted to the stage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185August 26, 2022 1:20 PM

"The problem was she was about 14 when she started stripping because she was orphaned and I can’t see anyone filming that story now"

Why not? Welcome to life and the human condition.

"I don't know if HORSES would work as a musical, but it certainly would been better than STEEL PIER."

A musical of HORSES was produced in regional theatres in the 90s. It tanked. One of the reasons being that, like BALLROOM, marathon dancing is not presentational.

by Anonymousreply 186August 26, 2022 1:30 PM

[quote]Murder on the Orient Express. I never knew this had been adapted to the stage.

By the shockingly untalented Ken Ludwig. It's now playing at the Cape Playhouse. Someone I know who saw it says it doesn't work AT ALL, because it tries to be a spoof but the real story keeps kicking in.

by Anonymousreply 187August 26, 2022 1:44 PM

Paper Mill seemed to be doing so well producing new musicals like Newsies, A Bronx Tale, Honeymoon in Vegas, Ever After, The Honeymooners, etc. Not all made it to Broadway and not all were hits but it was great programming for Paper Mill. I wonder if outside producers became too wary of bringing their projects there because it was too close to NY scrutiny? I worked there and loved being able to live at home in NYC while creating a new show.

by Anonymousreply 188August 26, 2022 2:16 PM

They have continued producing new musicals including The Wanderer last Spring and Hercules this season.

by Anonymousreply 189August 26, 2022 2:29 PM

PRADA isn't dead yet!

And oh yeah.... it's all CV-19's fault!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190August 26, 2022 2:32 PM

[Quote] Company failed because it didn’t work.

Um, I guess that would be every Bway production of Company

by Anonymousreply 191August 26, 2022 2:46 PM

No, it's just the gender switch.

by Anonymousreply 192August 26, 2022 2:52 PM

Wow, they ought to scrap Prada and just put McCollum on stage for two hours. That was QUITE the tap dance.

by Anonymousreply 193August 26, 2022 2:53 PM

In addition to Papermill creating new works, they always had one star vehicle show which didn’t work but gave the audience a chance to see a Broadway star in something they wouldn’t get to do on Broadway.

Chita Rivera in Anything Goes

Betty Buckley in Gypsy

I wonder if The Sound of Music will be this year’s star vehicle. Patina Miller *is* Maria von Trapp.

by Anonymousreply 194August 26, 2022 3:40 PM

Sand is a very labored metaphor in that song, R170, and it's not vastly helped by the singer taking a breath in the middle of "Caribbean" to point up the rhyme.

I too prefer Water Under the Bridge, but did Sondheim really intend it to be heard as a pop song in its context? Even though I like it, it's incredibly wordy even for him. The sentiments, though overworked, sound a lot like his own voice when he talks about love. Which is not like the voice of anyone who ever wrote a pop song, nor, I would imagine, appealing to anyone who ever bought one. It's got that Larry David Does Love feel about it.

by Anonymousreply 195August 26, 2022 3:46 PM

r191

except the original did actually make money... I don't think the others ever did

by Anonymousreply 196August 26, 2022 4:00 PM

Is the NY Post actually interested in Prada or is some publicist pushing the story to keep it alive? Why does the Post have its history of Bway coverage anyhow, from Riedel onwards. It's a right wing Murdoch rag, do its readers or anyone outside the lefty theater industry care about Bway 'scandal'??

by Anonymousreply 197August 26, 2022 4:05 PM

The Ludwig "Orient Express" premiered at the McCarter Center (Princeton) with this cast:

Daisy Armstrong - Ivy Cordle; Colonel Arbuthnot/Ratchett - Max Von Essen; Hercule Poirot - Allan Corduner; Michel/Head Waiter - Maboud Ebrahimzadeh; Mary Debenham - Susannah Hoffman; Helen Hubbard - Julie Halston; Monsieur Bouc - Evan Zes; Princess Dragomiroff - Veanne Cox; Greta Ohlsson - Samantha Steinmetz; Hector MacQueen - Juha Sorola; Countess Andrenyi - Alexandra Silber

As you can see, several characters are missing. (SPOILER ALERT: He only gets stabbed eight times.) I saw a production of it a few years ago in California. The train set was the most interesting part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198August 26, 2022 4:21 PM

[quote]Princess Dragomiroff - Veanne Cox

Didn't see that one coming.

by Anonymousreply 199August 26, 2022 4:24 PM

Is the Orient Express trying to cash in on the success of The 39 Steps or was it written before?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200August 26, 2022 4:32 PM

Bill Kenwright tours an Agatha Christie every year in the UK. Is one of these based on his production(s)?

by Anonymousreply 201August 26, 2022 4:34 PM

Paper Mill doesn't do new musicals UNLESS they have outside sweetening.

by Anonymousreply 202August 26, 2022 4:39 PM

BILLY PORTER *IS* Mother Superior

by Anonymousreply 203August 26, 2022 4:44 PM

Who will sing for Billy? Kathleen Battle?

by Anonymousreply 204August 26, 2022 4:49 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 205August 26, 2022 5:02 PM

Hasn’t Elton already moved on to his Tammy Faye musical?

by Anonymousreply 206August 26, 2022 5:17 PM

Britney as Tammy Faye?

by Anonymousreply 207August 26, 2022 5:18 PM

Kevin McCollum has always been a nasty piece of shit, very uninformed, very lucky, abusive and mean spirited.

by Anonymousreply 208August 26, 2022 5:23 PM

HAs Joseph ever paid back on broadway? I love the show but it's done everywhere

by Anonymousreply 209August 26, 2022 5:25 PM

Mostly positive reviews for the off-Bway revival of KINKY BOOTS.

I found the original a yawn, but I can see how some folks love it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210August 26, 2022 5:34 PM

Dear Stro: Please, for the love of all that is holy, do a jitterbug number in NY, NY to Ralph Burns' thrilling arrangement of Opus No. One from the film soundtrack, which is miles better than the (very good) Tommy Dorsey original. It's nearly nine minutes long and will stop the show, I swear. And no lyrics from LMM needed! You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 211August 26, 2022 5:50 PM

Kevin McCollum is a deluded fool. How the hell does he get investors to shell in more millions to "save" this turkey? Did they not see it in Chicago? Just let it die already.

by Anonymousreply 212August 26, 2022 6:14 PM

Wow re that McCarter cast! To go from Wendy Hiller to Veanne Cox, Sean Connery to Max von Essen, Jacqueline Bisset to Alexandra Silber and Lauren Bacall to Julie Halston. And those are the names I've heard of. Yikes! I rather watch the movie on TV, even with commercials.

by Anonymousreply 213August 26, 2022 6:17 PM

Let's see, r211...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214August 26, 2022 7:01 PM

[quote] Kevin McCollum has always been a nasty piece of shit, very uninformed, very lucky, abusive and mean spirited.

and never ever ever ever ever ever stops talking

He married Evelyn Nesbitt and then produced the Ragtime revival

by Anonymousreply 215August 26, 2022 7:03 PM

Can we start spelling it “Patty Lapwn”?

by Anonymousreply 216August 26, 2022 7:06 PM

no.

by Anonymousreply 217August 26, 2022 7:07 PM

🎶Yes, I can!🎶

by Anonymousreply 218August 26, 2022 7:09 PM

I didn't realize Ben Platt is doing Parade at the City Center. His recent photo shoot shows he is far too sexy for the role.

by Anonymousreply 219August 26, 2022 7:09 PM

It's a shame Papermill didn't book Armie Hammer.

by Anonymousreply 220August 26, 2022 9:02 PM

[quote]I didn't realize Ben Platt is doing Parade at the City Center.

Who is he playing? Mary Phegan? He doesn't have the gravitas to play Leo Frank.

by Anonymousreply 221August 26, 2022 9:23 PM

Is that homophobic?

by Anonymousreply 222August 26, 2022 9:24 PM

[quote]Is that homophobic?

Is what homophobic?

by Anonymousreply 223August 26, 2022 9:26 PM

R221 Actually an open casting call is being held for Mary.

by Anonymousreply 224August 26, 2022 9:28 PM

[Quote] Is what homophobic?

Suggesting a gay man is too "light" and would be better suited to playing a woman.

by Anonymousreply 225August 26, 2022 9:29 PM

It be your own people.

by Anonymousreply 226August 26, 2022 9:29 PM

[quote] Suggesting a gay man is too "light" and would be better suited to playing a woman.

I'm a gay man saying that another gay man is not the correct choice and suggesting, tongue firmly planted in cheek, that he is about as suited for the role he is cast in as playing a gender opposite 20 years younger role.

Homophobic is being afraid of gay people. I'm afraid he's going to make my people look bad.

by Anonymousreply 227August 26, 2022 9:31 PM

Fear/hatred, not just fear.

by Anonymousreply 228August 26, 2022 9:37 PM

Ben Platt can only play Ben Platt. He has zero range, absolutely none.

by Anonymousreply 229August 26, 2022 9:43 PM

Most actors don't have much range. It boils down to whether or not people tire of your back of tricks.

by Anonymousreply 230August 26, 2022 9:46 PM

Musical theater actors only know how to act when they are singing. When it's dialogue. it's just line recitation.

by Anonymousreply 231August 26, 2022 10:12 PM

Preach, r231

by Anonymousreply 232August 26, 2022 10:14 PM

These days, I'd agree with you R231. While there have always been very few Broadway performers who could act and sing beautifully at the same time, it seemed like they were less rare up until the 80's and 90's. Whatever they're teaching these kids in musical theatre training is draining them of their personality. Most of the ones with beautiful voices are competent actors at best who can rarely make you feel anything when they sing. If Carol Channing, Ethel Merman, Robert Preston, Jerry Orbach, or Gwen Verdon walked into a casting session today, I doubt any of them would get a callback.

by Anonymousreply 233August 26, 2022 10:17 PM

I don't think that's just down to training. It's also down to the relative lack of importance of present day Broadway in popular culture.

by Anonymousreply 234August 26, 2022 10:18 PM

R233 nails it. Any natural "it" factor or persona/personality gets SUCKED out of them at the NYUs, CCMs, Carnegie Mellons. They all become a cookie cutter, assembly line "triple threat" (though more like a "triple shot of vanilla"!)

No one knows how to "perform" or "play out" anymore. No sense of style or size to the performances. And these ghastly, angsty "contemporary" shows like Dear Evan Hansen, Next to Normal are all one note. They all have an 'orchestra' of 5-6 pieces, so tonally they all sound the same. Whiny pop tenors and shrill belters. Lots of bad acting and "indicating". Very little JOY on stage in the way those old school stars had it (even in angsty roles!)

But you're right, those stars would never have a chance in today's Broadway...even if those shows were being revived or done for the first time. I blame the casting directors for not taking bigger risks as well. Where's the next Nathan Lane? The next Patti LuPone? Hell, even a real matinee idol like Kevin Kline? Some of it is definitely the type of shows being produced. What would a Nathan Lane star in right now? Or a Jerry Orbach? There's no need for Alfred Drakes, Richard Kileys or John Raitt's anymore.

by Anonymousreply 235August 26, 2022 11:06 PM

You've got that right, R231!

by Anonymousreply 236August 26, 2022 11:08 PM

Little Charlie Stemp doesn't perform or play out? I thought some of you enjoyed him.

by Anonymousreply 237August 26, 2022 11:11 PM

How many people enjoyed Charlie Stemp while he was here? I’ve heard he happily availed himself of the free head available to him.

by Anonymousreply 238August 27, 2022 12:20 AM

Who sucked him off?

by Anonymousreply 239August 27, 2022 1:54 AM

[Quote] I’ve heard he happily availed himself of the free head available to him.

In a Russell Tovey way or a Matthew Morrison way?

by Anonymousreply 240August 27, 2022 2:17 AM

"Karate Kid" is taking The Music Box.

by Anonymousreply 241August 27, 2022 2:24 AM

Mana I Want to Sing is taking the Golden with DL fave, Lens Dunham

by Anonymousreply 242August 27, 2022 2:26 AM

[quote]Who sucked him off?

Betty Buckley

by Anonymousreply 243August 27, 2022 2:27 AM

[Quote] Who sucked him off?

Wayman Wong.

by Anonymousreply 244August 27, 2022 2:48 AM

[quote]Who sucked him off? Wayman Wong.

Well, that goes without saying :-)

by Anonymousreply 245August 27, 2022 3:19 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246August 27, 2022 4:14 AM

Wayman wishes!

by Anonymousreply 247August 27, 2022 12:12 PM

With those teeth, and his cat food breath? Woe to anyone who had to stoop so low.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248August 27, 2022 12:22 PM

More about Russell Tovey getting head, please. TIA!

by Anonymousreply 249August 27, 2022 12:48 PM

& JULIET sizzle reel.

Looks like fun.... if a bit busy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250August 27, 2022 2:20 PM

We need a new Sound of Music for our time where every character is transgender

by Anonymousreply 251August 27, 2022 2:31 PM

No every character is a drag queen that way you get two for one.

by Anonymousreply 252August 27, 2022 2:37 PM

The Sound of Music needs to go darker like Cabaret did. While Maria is singing “The Lonely Goatherd” Rolf is seen giving blowjobs to Nazis.

by Anonymousreply 253August 27, 2022 2:38 PM

We need an all-black Von Trapp family.

by Anonymousreply 254August 27, 2022 2:54 PM

R251 r252 r253 r254

Are you 5? I don’t particularly care one way or the other but do you think just saying “trans” or “blowjob” or “black” is automatically witty?

by Anonymousreply 255August 27, 2022 3:01 PM

R255, I agree those posts are not especially witty, but it's worth noting that all of those elements were ACTUALLY present in the Daniel Fish "Oklahoma!," depending on which production of it you saw.

by Anonymousreply 256August 27, 2022 3:04 PM

It's not witty, R 255, just a fact for the new woks Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 257August 27, 2022 3:09 PM

Broadway has new woks?

by Anonymousreply 258August 27, 2022 3:11 PM

The woks were lining the tables in the recent Oklahoma. Stir-fry for all at intermission

by Anonymousreply 259August 27, 2022 3:12 PM

[quote]Woe to anyone who had to stoop so low.

How short IS he?

(And was he manning those woks at Oklahoma?)

by Anonymousreply 260August 27, 2022 3:35 PM

The new wok Broadway staging " The Sound of Music."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261August 27, 2022 3:40 PM

Did someone say wok?

by Anonymousreply 262August 27, 2022 3:45 PM

R255, I’m not trying to be witty. Is irony lost on you?

Did you ever see the Mendes production of Cabaret? It’s much darker and sleazier than the original Prince version. The comparison is taking two musicals about Nazi Germany and giving them equal productions.

But then you already knew that.

by Anonymousreply 263August 27, 2022 3:51 PM

DeuxMoi says a Spring Awakening revival is on for winter. Eva Noblezada is leaving Hadestown to play Wendla.

by Anonymousreply 264August 27, 2022 4:08 PM

Re: Jennifer Butt’s passing-

She had a great butt but she couldn’t live forever.

by Anonymousreply 265August 27, 2022 4:10 PM

WHET to Tyler Hanes? She loved getting fingerbanged at Therapy post show.

by Anonymousreply 266August 27, 2022 4:10 PM

You Juilliard graduates get off of my lawn!

by Anonymousreply 267August 27, 2022 4:16 PM

Sitting here at the matinee of “Into the Woods” waiting for the show to start. So many of the people around me holding up their Playbills in front of their phones taking a picture of them so they can Instagram it (or Twitter it, whichever) later. I’m not on social media, so I just read mine and put it away in my bag. I’m so fucking out of touch.

By the way, Joshua Henry is out for the matinee. Understudy Jason Forbach is performing in his place.

by Anonymousreply 268August 27, 2022 5:54 PM

Forbidden Broadway did a wonderful smash up of TSOM and Cabaret which used to be youtube but now I can only find it on streaming for a fee.

by Anonymousreply 269August 27, 2022 6:04 PM

"Children, cover here, away from The Thing."

by Anonymousreply 270August 27, 2022 6:10 PM

Wok Broadway presents a new production of Flower Drum Song. With Waymon Wong as Wang Ta, Ariana DeBose as Mei Li, Ali Stroker as Madame Liang, Nathan Lane as Sammy Fong and Billy Porter as Linda Low. (His 'I Enjoy Being a Girl' is a true highlight). Choice of General Tso's Chicken or Mongolian Beef at intermission.

by Anonymousreply 271August 27, 2022 6:10 PM

[Quote] & JULIET sizzle reel. Looks like fun.... if a bit busy.

Saw it in London. It’s biggest flaw is that it’s just stupid.

by Anonymousreply 272August 27, 2022 6:24 PM

R268, Henry is out all weekend. He's opening for Diana Ross at the Hollywood Bowl. The missing dates were announced when they announced the first extension.

by Anonymousreply 273August 27, 2022 6:25 PM

Before Benko steps aside for Lea - is there any video. aside from her performance In the park. I love to see her with Ramin. There is an audio of them now but that will probably be removed soon. I’m sure they will give Lea new costumes. Benko looks like a little girl in a tent in that big red dress.

by Anonymousreply 274August 27, 2022 6:36 PM

Lea will certainly be given new costumes but whether they will be new designs is the question.

by Anonymousreply 275August 27, 2022 7:09 PM

R268 But if the girl who sat behind you in first grade doesn't know you went to see ITW, did you really see it ?

by Anonymousreply 276August 27, 2022 7:15 PM

I saw & JULIET in London pre-pandemic, I guess before it had really caught on because the tix were from the 1/2 price booth and it was only about 3/4 full. Lots of Asian teenaged tourists rocking in the aisles when they weren't texting on their phones.

Anyway, I loathed it. About as puerile as imaginable. Very tacky and cheap design. The cast already looked like they'd had enough and were as bored as I was. I can't imagine it attracting big crowds here except for maybe weekend matinees.

by Anonymousreply 277August 27, 2022 7:15 PM

r268 Is not being on social media the reason why you're posting your boring observations on here instead?

by Anonymousreply 278August 27, 2022 7:26 PM

[quote] Before Benko steps aside for Lea - is there any video. aside from her performance In the park.

From Julie's first performance at the end of April--

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279August 27, 2022 7:28 PM

Robert LuPone died. Condolences to Patti I guess...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280August 27, 2022 7:32 PM

Sorry you’re stuck in Flyoverstan, R278. I’d be bitter, too, if I was you.

by Anonymousreply 281August 27, 2022 7:42 PM

Bob's need for fierce engagement wit the art? Didn't LuPone get in trouble for going off script during his run in "A Chorus Line"?

by Anonymousreply 282August 27, 2022 7:44 PM

[quote]Didn't LuPone get in trouble for going off script during his run in "A Chorus Line"?

Did he? I have never heard or read about that.

by Anonymousreply 283August 27, 2022 7:49 PM

[Quote] It’s biggest flaw is that it’s just stupid

Its stupid.

by Anonymousreply 284August 27, 2022 7:53 PM

It's been mentioned here more than once, r283.

[Quote] LuPone returned to play Zach and liked to improvise during the performance. I heard the cast was not happy about that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285August 27, 2022 7:55 PM

Winner best musical? Broadway is dead

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286August 27, 2022 8:00 PM

Well, r286, how would you feel about the show if you hadn't seen the movie and didn't have any familiarity with it?

by Anonymousreply 287August 27, 2022 8:18 PM

[quote]She loved getting fingerbanged at Therapy post show.

But to be fair -- who doesn't?

by Anonymousreply 288August 27, 2022 8:27 PM

I prefer my fingerbanging during the show.

by Anonymousreply 289August 27, 2022 8:28 PM

r281 You are bitter though, bitter about people logging onto a website to tell people they're about to see a show, while you also log onto a website to tell people you're about to see a show.

by Anonymousreply 290August 27, 2022 8:34 PM

No fingerbanging for me, Cheyenne.

by Anonymousreply 291August 27, 2022 8:36 PM

I was at a performance where he went off script and randomly pulled dancers out of the line and asked them questions. The poor kid playing Mark looked terrified. It was during LuPone’s return to the show a few years after he left.

by Anonymousreply 292August 27, 2022 8:40 PM

Wasn't a fan of John Simon, but he did make me laugh with this from his Les Miz review: "Jennifer Butt falls behind."

by Anonymousreply 293August 27, 2022 8:46 PM

Diana Ross is singing at the Hollywood Bowl? She's 95!!

by Anonymousreply 294August 27, 2022 8:48 PM

Close R294. She’s 78.

by Anonymousreply 295August 27, 2022 8:51 PM

Good for her!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296August 27, 2022 8:56 PM

I feel bad for Patti. People never really get over the death of a sibling. Also given her age, she probably sees death a lot closer because of it.

by Anonymousreply 297August 27, 2022 9:01 PM

It's interesting that the & Juliet trailer is a recreation of the original West End trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298August 27, 2022 9:44 PM

Or maybe Patti thinks: Fuck him, I would have won the Ted Mack Show as a solo.

by Anonymousreply 299August 27, 2022 9:45 PM

R273, nice! I hadn't heard about that. Good for him.

Forbach was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 300August 27, 2022 9:53 PM

THR's obit on Bob LuPone:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301August 27, 2022 9:56 PM

That was AFTER a nose job...?

by Anonymousreply 302August 27, 2022 9:58 PM

Has Donna McKechnie commented?

by Anonymousreply 303August 27, 2022 9:58 PM

[quote] LuPone’s first professional job was in 1966, in the ensemble of the Westbury Music Fair’s production of The Pajama Game starring Liza Minnelli.

Liza did stock?

by Anonymousreply 304August 27, 2022 10:02 PM

Tuesdays she did.

by Anonymousreply 305August 27, 2022 10:04 PM

That thread about A Chorus Line was interesting. Someone was speculating about the change in the script from Cassie not getting the job to getting picked and said the audience had fallen in love with her and were upset to see her fail. I wonder if they had ever considered changing that for the film version since they didn't have to worry about anyone falling in love with Cassie with Alyson Reed playing her.

by Anonymousreply 306August 27, 2022 10:07 PM

.....and bonds!

by Anonymousreply 307August 27, 2022 10:12 PM

R304, Liza did The Pajama Game (Babe), The Fantasticks (Luisa), Take Me Along (Muriel) and Carnival (Lili) in summer stock. I have the Playbill from that CARNIVAL production that my mother and her friends saw....and didn't take me.

by Anonymousreply 308August 27, 2022 10:15 PM

Back in the old, OLD days, apparently summer stock wasn't the joke it became in the old days.

by Anonymousreply 309August 27, 2022 10:18 PM

Didn't Broadway shows close down for the summer once upon a time? Hence, "relevant" performers moved to the Straw Hat circuit for a time.

by Anonymousreply 310August 27, 2022 10:20 PM

Has National Theatre Live started up in your city ? thanks in advace

by Anonymousreply 311August 27, 2022 10:32 PM

Yes, NTL is showing Prima Facie in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 312August 27, 2022 10:41 PM

HBO Max is rerunning The West Wing. Will Alison, Kristin and Stockard get residuals?

by Anonymousreply 313August 27, 2022 11:04 PM

I can beat that, BuzzedFur. My parents saw Gypsy with Merman and didn't take me. Been in therapy ever since.

by Anonymousreply 314August 27, 2022 11:14 PM

Charlie Stemp leading the bows at Crazy for You in Chichester. Awww….

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315August 27, 2022 11:19 PM

Shocked to read there's a third sibling William Lupone!

by Anonymousreply 316August 27, 2022 11:23 PM

Shouldn't it be Billi Lupone, r316?

by Anonymousreply 317August 27, 2022 11:26 PM

There's a fascinating article out there on line that someone posted on Facebook on one of those Broadway Remembered type pages which is an interview with Barry Bostwick, who was originally cast as Zach in ACL and then Robert Lupone, 2 months after the show debuted at The Public. Some really dishy info about Michael Bennett and how he created the role of Zach, (somewhat) based on himself.

Sorry, I'd link it of I could but I'm sure it's googleable.

by Anonymousreply 318August 27, 2022 11:27 PM

Summer stock should make a comeback. I'm sure there are lots of actors who'd be thrilled for the work and the flyover states get the thrill of seeing the third lead of a TV police procedural playing Mame.

by Anonymousreply 319August 27, 2022 11:30 PM

"And these ghastly, angsty "contemporary" shows like Dear Evan Hansen, Next to Normal are all one note. They all have an 'orchestra' of 5-6 pieces, so tonally they all sound the same."

That's because the scores ARE the same: banal and pedestrian

"Did you ever see the Mendes production of Cabaret? It’s much darker and sleazier than the original Prince version. The comparison is taking two musicals about Nazi Germany and giving them equal productions."

No, the Mendes was about playing the show's end from the very beginning so it had no place to go. Instead of being enticed and seduced into the vortex of catastrophe {which is what the song Cabaret is all about}, we were shoved into it from the opening number. Talk about one note.

by Anonymousreply 320August 27, 2022 11:36 PM

r271 Now do one for Porgy and Bess

by Anonymousreply 321August 27, 2022 11:57 PM

R318, Barry Bostwick never did a public performance; he left during the second workshop and was replaced by LuPone.

by Anonymousreply 322August 27, 2022 11:57 PM

LuPone had been playing Al. Don Percassi, who had been playing the dance assistant, moved in to the role of Al and Clive Clerk was hired as the dance assistant. This all happened before the show played performances at the Public.

by Anonymousreply 323August 27, 2022 11:59 PM

They might have to settle for the third lead of a 70s sit-com playing Mame!

by Anonymousreply 324August 28, 2022 12:03 AM

Dinah Manoff IS Vera Charles.

by Anonymousreply 325August 28, 2022 12:06 AM

Mariska Harigaty could play the orphanage lady. (Nora?)

by Anonymousreply 326August 28, 2022 12:07 AM

Adam Rich IS Patrick!

by Anonymousreply 327August 28, 2022 12:08 AM

Kristy McNichol *is* Woman of the Year!

I’m one of the girls, who’s one of the boys.

by Anonymousreply 328August 28, 2022 12:41 AM

I miss summer stock and actors playing roles they were totally wrong for. Just imagine seeing Beanie Feldstein in Funny Girl on the Kenley Circuit. Those were the days.

by Anonymousreply 329August 28, 2022 12:47 AM

Barbara Cook in Funny Girl! Now that’s hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 330August 28, 2022 12:48 AM

The new Mendez production of Cabaret casted Billie Porter as the Emsee. She’s not very believable in the roll.

by Anonymousreply 331August 28, 2022 12:51 AM

Sorry, I should have been clearer in my post.

The article I was yammering about (and really is worth googling) has interviews with both Bostwick and Lupone, done separately, 3 weeks after ACL opened at The Public. Both actors, who were interviewed separately, talk about their different experiences working with Bennett and their separate journeys creating the character of Zach. Bostwick talks about how he and Bennett came to the mutual decision to part ways. And Lupone says, among lots of other interesting stuff, that the Al he played was a very different character than one that eventually was written once it was recast with Don Percassi.

Both actors are surprisingly frank about Bennett, considering the timing of the article. IIRC the article is linked to The Muny website. Why, I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 332August 28, 2022 12:52 AM

Beanie Feldstein in My Fat Friend!

by Anonymousreply 333August 28, 2022 12:52 AM

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall for Bennett working with Dolores Gray.

by Anonymousreply 334August 28, 2022 12:54 AM

I believe Kelli Giddish is available, r319.

by Anonymousreply 335August 28, 2022 12:54 AM

Billy Porter plays Billie Hayes as Mammy Yokum in "Yo', Abner!"

by Anonymousreply 336August 28, 2022 12:56 AM

But...but, r330, she got *rave* reviews!!!

by Anonymousreply 337August 28, 2022 12:56 AM

Wasn't it Dolores' Mom who was the real trouble-maker?

by Anonymousreply 338August 28, 2022 12:57 AM

[quote]Shouldn't it be Billi Lupone

IbegtodifferwithyaBilli!

by Anonymousreply 339August 28, 2022 1:03 AM

Dolores could not get out of her own way... as her Cole Porter story here illustrates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340August 28, 2022 1:04 AM

R332 can’t find it

by Anonymousreply 341August 28, 2022 1:25 AM

Just google: Muny.org All About Zach

by Anonymousreply 342August 28, 2022 1:29 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343August 28, 2022 1:31 AM

Thanks

by Anonymousreply 344August 28, 2022 1:39 AM

Looks like the Baker’s wife had some work done. Unrecognizable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345August 28, 2022 2:08 AM

[quote]I was at a performance where he went off script and randomly pulled dancers out of the line and asked them questions. The poor kid playing Mark looked terrified. It was during LuPone’s return to the show a few years after he left.

As I said, I had never heard or read that, and am very surprised to read about it now. I wonder if LuPone got away with such behavior more than once -- I would think the stage manager would have read him the riot act afterwards and told him that if he ever did that again, he'd be thrown out on his ass.

by Anonymousreply 346August 28, 2022 3:16 AM

[quote]Looks like the Baker’s wife had some work done. Unrecognizable.

Umm, they both have bright sunlight shining directly into their faces, and they're squinting. You stupid bitch.

by Anonymousreply 347August 28, 2022 3:18 AM

[quote]Shouldn't it be Billi Lupone, [R316]?

They could've done a reboot of Petticoat Junction: Bobby Jo, Billi Jo, and Patty Jo.

by Anonymousreply 348August 28, 2022 3:21 AM

[quote]I have the Playbill from that CARNIVAL production that my mother and her friends saw....and didn't take me.

That boy ain't right!

by Anonymousreply 349August 28, 2022 3:21 AM

Patti Jo, r348.

by Anonymousreply 350August 28, 2022 4:10 AM

I love NYC.

Sorry/not sorry for the LMM haters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351August 28, 2022 4:45 AM

Raul

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352August 28, 2022 8:48 AM

Speaking of Patti/Patty Jo, didn't she replace in Purlie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353August 28, 2022 12:43 PM

#279 - Thank you for the link to Benko’s Parade - I hope there will be more!

by Anonymousreply 354August 28, 2022 3:03 PM

Enough with Julie Benko. Enough.

by Anonymousreply 355August 28, 2022 3:48 PM

r355, Okay, Beanie.

by Anonymousreply 356August 28, 2022 3:49 PM

Schmigadoon! season 2

the show’s second season will see a shift from the parodying of 1940s musicals to a whole new era of the 1960s and 70s. The official log line reveals “having found true love in the town of Schmigadoon, Season 2 will find Josh (Keegan-Michael Key) and Melissa (Cecily Strong) in Schmicago, the world of ’60s and ’70s musicals.”

Schmicago, Schmicago that toddlin town. . .

Will there be nudiddy?

by Anonymousreply 357August 28, 2022 4:29 PM

So I guess that means that season 3 would spoof the British super-shows?

by Anonymousreply 358August 28, 2022 4:42 PM

Let's hope Season 3 spoofs closings. By being canceled.

by Anonymousreply 359August 28, 2022 4:46 PM

Schmigadoon is the level of parody we live with today. Will there be a new Charles Ludlam someday?

by Anonymousreply 360August 28, 2022 5:09 PM

When did Charles Ludlam have a network TV show, r360?

by Anonymousreply 361August 28, 2022 5:17 PM

I'd settle for a new Gerard Alessandrini. God knows there will never be another Tom Lehrer.

by Anonymousreply 362August 28, 2022 5:58 PM

Tom Lehrer is still with us.

by Anonymousreply 363August 28, 2022 6:23 PM

[quote]Tom Lehrer is still with us.

My God, I didn't know! He's 94.

by Anonymousreply 364August 28, 2022 6:33 PM

Vatican Rag

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365August 28, 2022 6:59 PM

Schmigadoon had some fun moments, but what a mess.

by Anonymousreply 366August 28, 2022 7:23 PM

Keegan Michael Key is community theater level talent.

by Anonymousreply 367August 28, 2022 7:31 PM

Gerard Alessandrini was and is a hack who got lucky.

by Anonymousreply 368August 28, 2022 8:05 PM

He had a gimmick and he ran with it, r368...

by Anonymousreply 369August 28, 2022 8:10 PM

"Mama, she played Dorothy in A Star Is Born!"

"Papa... Gigi, Kismet, Brigadoon... He loved all that French stuff."

by Anonymousreply 370August 28, 2022 8:13 PM

Anybody know how I can donate/drop offmemorabilia to the BCEFA flea market happening next month? I sent them an email last week but haven’t heard back.

by Anonymousreply 371August 28, 2022 8:19 PM

R371, I'm guessing you haven't heard back because they don't want it. Maybe tweet them?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372August 28, 2022 8:32 PM

"Any natural "it" factor or persona/personality gets SUCKED out of them at the NYUs, CCMs, Carnegie Mellons. They all become a cookie cutter, assembly line "triple threat" (though more like a "triple shot of vanilla"!)"

Amen. But it's just as bad, if not worse, for musical theatre writers. Fifty years ago, there was only Lehman Engel assigning his "write-a-song-for-X-character-from-a-classic-play" exercises for budding MT authors and composers. Which at least encouraged singular approaches to the material. Nowadays the pop-crap philosophy promulgated on campuses and theatre-sponsored programs share the same kind of cookie-cutter, assembly-line mentality. The plethora of disastrous, monotonously trite shows are the dire results.

by Anonymousreply 373August 28, 2022 9:12 PM

Wouldn't pop-crap at least have memorable tunes?

by Anonymousreply 374August 28, 2022 9:15 PM

The Dutch cast of The Prom performed tonight on TV. Jesus, that language is ugly even when sung.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375August 28, 2022 10:09 PM

Do they have proms in the Netherlands?

I thought that most Dutch people were pretty fluent in English, so I wonder how well an untranslated version of The Prom would go over.

by Anonymousreply 376August 28, 2022 10:42 PM

R372. Thank you for posting that. If I don’t hear back I’ll just donate the books to a library and trash the rest. It sounds like they have more than enough and don’t need my crap :)

by Anonymousreply 377August 28, 2022 10:52 PM

R373 I share your despair but there are still a few (very few) glimmers of hope. The Band’s Visit and Kimberly Akimbo were both wonderful. Granted, that’s only two out of…?

by Anonymousreply 378August 29, 2022 12:36 AM

the Hayes, the Lunt-Fontanne.....and the Gaiety Male Burlesque!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379August 29, 2022 12:46 AM

Billy Porter as Nellie Forbush in the new South Pacific revival.

by Anonymousreply 380August 29, 2022 12:54 AM

Billy Porter *IS* as corny as Kansas in August!

by Anonymousreply 381August 29, 2022 1:16 AM

And featuring Beanie Feldstein as Bloody Mary?

by Anonymousreply 382August 29, 2022 1:27 AM

[quote]And featuring Beanie Feldstein as Bloody Mary?

Get with the times. That would be culturally offensive.

And featuring Beanie Feldstein as Nellie Forbush.

by Anonymousreply 383August 29, 2022 1:37 AM

[quote]The Dutch cast of The Prom performed tonight on TV. Jesus, that language is ugly even when sung.

But the song is still great. Best score since "Taboo".

by Anonymousreply 384August 29, 2022 1:38 AM

The Prom is a smelly turd, a shite sandwich of a show.

by Anonymousreply 385August 29, 2022 2:10 AM

The Gaiety was my absolute Broadway theater.

by Anonymousreply 386August 29, 2022 3:09 AM

Indeed, r386...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387August 29, 2022 3:16 AM

Didn’t Patrick Swayze dance at Gaiety in his starving actor days?

by Anonymousreply 388August 29, 2022 3:27 AM

The first 10 minutes of THE PROM are hysterically funny. Then comes the rest of the show...

by Anonymousreply 389August 29, 2022 6:16 AM

[quote]The Prom is a smelly turd, a shite sandwich of a show.

Of course it is, this is Datalounge!

by Anonymousreply 390August 29, 2022 9:43 AM

R379 That stairwell up to the Gaiety, where treasures await, God I miss that place

by Anonymousreply 391August 29, 2022 11:51 AM

Sweeney Todd in Dutch? Uhhh…OK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392August 29, 2022 12:04 PM

I would love to hear Worst Pies in some consonant heavy language like Dutch.

by Anonymousreply 393August 29, 2022 12:11 PM

What’s going into the Gaiety? Can we have a revival of Follies there with the ghost of go-go boys instead showgirls? DL Heaven!

by Anonymousreply 394August 29, 2022 12:11 PM

I'd pay good money to see Billy Porter's Mammy Yokum.

by Anonymousreply 395August 29, 2022 12:21 PM

Sweeney always wears suspenders (except for John Doyle’s but bleccch)

by Anonymousreply 396August 29, 2022 12:42 PM

Agreed R355. Shut the fuck up about Julie Benko. Christ. So fucking annoying.

by Anonymousreply 397August 29, 2022 1:02 PM

On the off chance anyone feels bad for Beanie (I know no-one does) here's a clip of her finding it hilarious that her mom was such a raging cunt to the staff that a veterinarian banned their family from their clinic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398August 29, 2022 1:10 PM

Of course Beanie Feldstein’s mother is unhinged.

With a daughter like Beanie and a son like Jonah, wouldn’t you cunt with the best of them?

by Anonymousreply 399August 29, 2022 1:16 PM

Out of curiosity I just looked at ticket availability at Music Man. a Decent number of orchestra seats still available for this Wednesday evening, and center rear (2 rows from the back) is $246 each. Rear side is $199 each. Row D is $469, with 8 seats in that row still available. Third and fourth row mezzanine (almost entirely available) is $268

They are bastards and Hugh with all his nice-guy shit (and $38M apartment he's selling and the $21M apartment he just bought) should be ashamed.

by Anonymousreply 400August 29, 2022 1:19 PM

Are they able to sell all those expensive MM seats by each performance? If they don't, will they be sold much cheaper on that day?

by Anonymousreply 401August 29, 2022 1:34 PM

You know what’s really fun? Little Shop of Horrors in German.

by Anonymousreply 402August 29, 2022 1:40 PM

Tea gets served. Writer Andrew Bergman on his Broadway 'Honeymoon in Vegas' experience:

[quote] “Except for the breathtaking incompetence of our producers, ‘Honeymoon’ was a wondrous experience,” he said. (There’s sarcasm in there somewhere.)

PS Per IBDB, the producers were Dena Hammerstein, Roy Gabay, Rich Entertainment Group, Dan Farah, Metro Card, King's Leaves, Dan Frishwasser, Leslie Greif/Thom Beers, Susan Dietz & Lenny Beer, Howard Hoffman/Anna Czekaj, Important Musicals, Sharon Karmazin, L.G. Scott and Martin Markinson; Produced in association with Ken Greiner/Ruth Hendel, Krauss Freitag/Boyle Koenigsberg, Rick Steiner/Bell-Staton Group, Pam Pariseau and Paper Mill Playhouse (Mark S. Hoebee, Producing Artistic Director; Todd Schmidt, Managing Director); Associate produced by David Goldyn

PPS: Metro Card seems to be Tony Danza

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403August 29, 2022 1:41 PM

You know what's really not fun? Watching a Beanie interview. Jesus, she's awful.

by Anonymousreply 404August 29, 2022 1:53 PM

R404 -- truly the star we deserve in 2022.

by Anonymousreply 405August 29, 2022 2:01 PM

Dena Hammerstein was the nightmare, and everyone knew it. Stories were legendary. That was her one and done.

by Anonymousreply 406August 29, 2022 2:08 PM

That clip shows how entitled Beanie is, beginning with my nanny... ("My mother worked..."). Lots of mothers work, and they don't have the money for nannies, dear.

by Anonymousreply 407August 29, 2022 2:09 PM

I wouldn’t pay $5 to see Music Man or Hugh.

by Anonymousreply 408August 29, 2022 2:20 PM

I saw Music Man and had the time of my life. It's joyous and fun, and I needed that. Worth every penny.

by Anonymousreply 409August 29, 2022 2:33 PM

The new MUSIC MAN revival is not exceptional, but it's still a terrific musical, with the best love story ever told in musical theatre at the center. I enjoyed it more than almost anything from last season.

by Anonymousreply 410August 29, 2022 2:39 PM

It can overcome many obstacles and still be fun and joyous, as the bad direction, overdone choreography, overly presentational staging, miscasting, nasal singing, and odd design conspire to prove.

by Anonymousreply 411August 29, 2022 2:46 PM

[quote]with the best love story ever told in musical theatre at the center.

Winthrop and Amaryllis or Marcellus and Ethel Toffelmier?

by Anonymousreply 412August 29, 2022 2:51 PM

Plus in that Beanie interview she says Beanie comes from Elizabeanie, which she claims is a British thing - it absolutely is not. I'm guessing they originally used it to mock her somehow, and the nanny came up with the claim it's a British name to cover up

by Anonymousreply 413August 29, 2022 2:53 PM

Beanie was MADE to play Ethul Tafflemyer

by Anonymousreply 414August 29, 2022 2:57 PM

[quote]with the best love story ever told in musical theatre at the center.

Sorry, but THIS is the greatest love story ever told in musical theater, or literature for that matter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 415August 29, 2022 3:01 PM

Beanie was MADE to be a waitress in a diner in Wisconsin.

by Anonymousreply 416August 29, 2022 3:14 PM

I challenge you ALL to NOT mention Beanie for the rest of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 417August 29, 2022 3:30 PM

Fuck off Ben

by Anonymousreply 418August 29, 2022 3:33 PM

Beanie!!!

by Anonymousreply 419August 29, 2022 3:57 PM

[quote] with the best love story ever told in musical theatre at the center.

[quote]Winthrop and Amaryllis or Marcellus and Ethel Toffelmier?

Tommy Djilas and Zaneeta Shinn

by Anonymousreply 420August 29, 2022 3:59 PM

Tommy D has Zanetta dickmatized. Ye Gods!

by Anonymousreply 421August 29, 2022 4:13 PM

I prefer *this* Hunchback, r415...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422August 29, 2022 4:26 PM

People on here claim Patti LuPone is past her sell by date but her tickets to 54 Below went on sale today at 12 for general and I was logged in at 11:55 and when 12 hit, she was completely sold out for the whole run…and I didn’t get a ticket…so methinks she still has star quality despite what DL says

by Anonymousreply 423August 29, 2022 4:45 PM

People just want Patti to scream at them. I bet that's considered a kink.

by Anonymousreply 424August 29, 2022 4:56 PM

[quote] methinks she still has star quality despite what DL says

I think the conversations here were about her general ability to sell to a broader public, not the die-hards who could fill 54 Below, with approx 150 seats, for a week.

by Anonymousreply 425August 29, 2022 5:28 PM

Argentina’s brand of STAR QUALITY!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 426August 29, 2022 5:37 PM

I think when you're pretty it doesn't matter how you wear your hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 427August 29, 2022 5:41 PM

Sweetie, no one doubts Patti can sell 50 chairs and a two drink minimum in some grungy basement. She’s been a working Broadway actress for fifty years and has a dedicated (if old) gay NY following. She cannot in her current state however, fill a Broadway house. When she’d leave Company they’d lose maybe 100 - 150k a week. That’s about her worth.

by Anonymousreply 428August 29, 2022 5:59 PM

^^^you say that like it's a bad thing, r428.

by Anonymousreply 429August 29, 2022 6:27 PM

Patti’s brother Robert had died at 76. Rip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 430August 29, 2022 6:30 PM

Another Ben Platt project about to drop...

Between this and PARADE, Ben's keeping busy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 431August 29, 2022 6:32 PM

I assume he’s playing the title role.

by Anonymousreply 432August 29, 2022 6:54 PM

I hate movies about weddings.

by Anonymousreply 433August 29, 2022 6:57 PM

Ugh, written by those two pro-tranny Bob's Burgers cunts. Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 434August 29, 2022 7:13 PM

r 434 you’re [italic] delightful [/italic]

by Anonymousreply 435August 29, 2022 7:20 PM

Will there be any straight men in the Patti audience or will it be filled with hissers?

by Anonymousreply 436August 29, 2022 8:02 PM

Nothin' wrong with Bob's Burgers, r434.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437August 29, 2022 8:09 PM

Tony Goldwyn and Julian Ovenden together in that Bell/Platt film. Two big theatre dicks that have had full exposure onstage! I smell Indie Spirits for all!

by Anonymousreply 438August 29, 2022 8:09 PM

And just exactly how do they smell r438?

by Anonymousreply 439August 29, 2022 8:17 PM

I imagine they smell independently spirited, r439.

by Anonymousreply 440August 29, 2022 8:22 PM

When is Beanie’s 54 Below performance?

by Anonymousreply 441August 29, 2022 8:23 PM

For Beanie, 54 Below is the measurement of her gunt.

by Anonymousreply 442August 29, 2022 8:31 PM

Careful, R441 and R442. You might trigger the "No more Beanie posts!" guy.

by Anonymousreply 443August 29, 2022 8:55 PM

Patti Fan In Texas has joined the chat.

by Anonymousreply 444August 29, 2022 8:56 PM

[quote]For Beanie, 54 Below is the measurement of her gunt.

I thought it was her IQ.

by Anonymousreply 445August 29, 2022 9:06 PM

There will never be another Les Mouches.

Oh, Patti can try, but it was a different time and place.

by Anonymousreply 446August 29, 2022 9:10 PM

ffs, r442, 443, and r445, Give it up!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447August 29, 2022 9:11 PM

I wish there was an extension so I could block the name and visage of Beanie like the kitten extension that can be used to block Trump’s image.

by Anonymousreply 448August 29, 2022 9:29 PM

It’s nice that Patti is doing a tribute to the music of Bernadette Peters.

“Patti Sings Bernadette: A Retrospective” at 54 Below.

by Anonymousreply 449August 29, 2022 10:03 PM

[quote]I wish there was an extension so I could block the name and visage of Beanie like the kitten extension that can be used to block Trump’s image.

I'd be happy if we could just block threads like we used to be able to do.

by Anonymousreply 450August 29, 2022 10:11 PM

[Quote] Careful, [R441] and [R442]. You might trigger the "No more Beanie posts!" guy.

Correction: I’m the No More Witless Unfunny Beanie Posts Guy.

by Anonymousreply 451August 29, 2022 11:01 PM

Beanie is last month's news. Move on. Really, at this point what's there to say?

by Anonymousreply 452August 29, 2022 11:38 PM

[quote]Beanie is last month's news. Move on. Really, at this point what's there to say?

Beanie owes us some fresh material!

by Anonymousreply 453August 30, 2022 12:31 AM

I'm sure Lea will provide plenty, r453.

by Anonymousreply 454August 30, 2022 12:59 AM

What I love about Patti From a Hat means that the evening will be TOTALLY spontaneous and there is no way the entire evening won’t be planned from start to finish, down to every detail.

by Anonymousreply 455August 30, 2022 1:02 AM

Wait, now you’re mad at her for planning her concert?

by Anonymousreply 456August 30, 2022 1:04 AM

Is it possible this thread has had no comments for 11 hours .... until this one?

by Anonymousreply 457August 30, 2022 11:55 AM

It's possible... for a plain yellow pumpkin to become a golden carriage.

by Anonymousreply 458August 30, 2022 12:01 PM

It's possible ... for a hateful courtship to become a hateful marriage

by Anonymousreply 459August 30, 2022 12:05 PM

You can block threads R450, you probably have blocked the limit, which I think is around 200. You have to go back and unblock dead old threads from your blocklist and then you’ll have space.

by Anonymousreply 460August 30, 2022 12:17 PM

In all honesty, what is there to talk about in the theater? Zzzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 461August 30, 2022 12:18 PM

r458/r459 I hate you for putting that earworm of a tune in my head this morning.

by Anonymousreply 462August 30, 2022 12:20 PM

by Anonymousreply 463August 30, 2022 12:21 PM

I still have Zip stuck in my head.

by Anonymousreply 464August 30, 2022 12:24 PM

I’ll fix the earworm problem:

I got the sun in the morning and the moon at night.

I’m all riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!

by Anonymousreply 465August 30, 2022 1:09 PM

Move over, Merm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 466August 30, 2022 1:45 PM

Now I'm just hearing a mashup called "I Got Zip in the Morning and Zip at Night."

by Anonymousreply 467August 30, 2022 1:46 PM

^Lament: My Day On Grindr

by Anonymousreply 468August 30, 2022 1:56 PM

We finally have the answer on The Music Box. A one man play from Edinburgh that no one will see. DANCIN will be taking it in the Spring.

by Anonymousreply 469August 30, 2022 2:12 PM

Bway grosses are down, down, down this past week.

BEETLEJUICE, alas, is at the rock bottom. Even KITE RUNNER & FUNNY GIRL are outselling them. I find the continued success of HADESTOWN three and a half years in a little surprising, but good for them.

by Anonymousreply 470August 30, 2022 2:23 PM

Beetlejuice rock bottom of what? Funny Girl outselling? BJ grossed nearly $1M, with an average ticket of $107. They had 8,500 people, compared to 7,222 at Funy Girl (who grossed $558K). If you're looking at % of capacity, that's misleading. THey're in a huge theatre for weekend potential.

by Anonymousreply 471August 30, 2022 2:49 PM

r358 I'm hoping season 3 will be all Sondheim

by Anonymousreply 472August 30, 2022 3:04 PM

[quote]You can block threads

The "block thread" function hasn't worked in YEARS.

by Anonymousreply 473August 30, 2022 3:13 PM

The cure for all earworms is a small world, after all.

by Anonymousreply 474August 30, 2022 3:13 PM

r433 Speaking of weddings did anyone see It Shoulda Been You starring Tyne Daly?

I saw a boot of it online during lockdown and enjoyed it but could see how it wouldn't grab an audience.

Tyne was fun to watch. She played well off Harriet Harris and Chip Zein. I had never seen Lisa Howard in anything and I didn't care for her at all.

by Anonymousreply 475August 30, 2022 3:14 PM

We interrupt this 488th trip down Antiquities Lane to bring up some current news. Murderer Alec Baldwin returns to Broadway in "Art," with John Leguizamo and Tony Shaloub. but there's no producer. WTF. .

[quote] In a highly unusual move for Broadway, “Art” has already secured its venue, stars and director even though it has no actual producer yet. The production, a source said, was put together by Creative Artists Agency, which is fulfilling producing duties for the moment. CAA is said to be “auditioning” New York producers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 476August 30, 2022 4:43 PM

Who needs a revival of ART?

by Anonymousreply 477August 30, 2022 5:06 PM

What revival does anyone ever need?

by Anonymousreply 478August 30, 2022 5:11 PM

SHALHOUB, R 476

by Anonymousreply 479August 30, 2022 5:11 PM

From r76 item:

[quote] A new musical loosely based on Martin Scorsese’s 1977 film New York, New York will begin performances on Broadway

That movie has a depressing plot. Who needs that right now? Will there be a ballet sequence where the husband beats the wife up?

by Anonymousreply 480August 30, 2022 5:23 PM

Did you miss the word “loosely”?

by Anonymousreply 481August 30, 2022 5:24 PM

The CAA production of Art is not that unusual. Many shows go into rehearsal underfunded.

Several years ago, there was a Godspell Broadway revival that started production and they were trying to do an early version of crowd funding. I can’t remember how low each block was, but I think anyone could invest in $1,000 increments.

The odd thing is that an organization like CAA doesn’t have enough contacts to raise the money privately.

by Anonymousreply 482August 30, 2022 5:33 PM

[quote]It's possible... for a plain yellow pumpkin to become a golden carriage.

Don't pumpkins tend to be orange?

Perhaps this question belonged in the "Was Oscar Hammerstein II really that mediocre as a lyricist?" thread.

by Anonymousreply 483August 30, 2022 5:41 PM

The ART revival sounds doomed to failure.

I think Shalhoub is talented. I have a grudging admiration for Leguizamo, who's smart and entrepreneurial.

But Alec Baldwin murdered one of his employees in cold blood on the set of a film he was mismanaging. And I'm not the only theatregoer to see things this way.

by Anonymousreply 484August 30, 2022 5:42 PM

I was hoping Alec’s return to Broadway would have been playing Roxie Hart.

Oh yes we both reached for the gun, the gun…

by Anonymousreply 485August 30, 2022 5:47 PM

I have zero interest in seeing the murderess Baldwin in anything at the moment. This is a NO for me.

by Anonymousreply 486August 30, 2022 6:00 PM

Beanie cast as Helen Lawson in the Valley musical

by Anonymousreply 487August 30, 2022 6:02 PM

[quote]R484 Alec Baldwin murdered one of his employees in cold blood

Mmmm, no. It wasn’t an episode of SNAPPED.

by Anonymousreply 488August 30, 2022 6:08 PM

[quote]r123 Ben Platt and Beanie Feldstein should star in every two-hander there is … Same Time, Next Year, I Do, I Do

I worked on a production of “I Do, I Do” once and ended up hating it. The score’s completely wishywashy. It resembles a collection of weak songs all cut from other shows.

by Anonymousreply 489August 30, 2022 6:14 PM

But when Mary Martin and Robert Preston performed that score it was utter magic.

by Anonymousreply 490August 30, 2022 6:16 PM

Would Julie Benko be hailed or blackballed for writing a ruthlessly honest tell-all? STANDING BY FANNY.

(are there better titles?)

by Anonymousreply 491August 30, 2022 6:18 PM

So, Lonny Price is taking the Music Box, directing Gabriel Byrne in an autobiographical one man show about Byrne's life growing up. REALLY? THIS is the best they could do? Irving Berlin is spinning in his attic apartment.

by Anonymousreply 492August 30, 2022 6:21 PM

Block threads works, like I said R473. There’s a LIMIT to how many threads and people you can block. You’ve overused it and reached the limit.

by Anonymousreply 493August 30, 2022 6:22 PM

r493 No, it does not. You can block a thread, but it will not STAY blocked. You can block posters, but not threads (permanently.)

by Anonymousreply 494August 30, 2022 6:23 PM

Broadway is dead. Killed by Woke. With a turn of the knife by Covid. And a kick in the groin by cheap unimaginative producers.

by Anonymousreply 495August 30, 2022 6:23 PM

[quote] But Alec Baldwin murdered one of his employees in cold blood on the set of a film he was mismanaging

He quite literally did not murder anyone in cold blood.

by Anonymousreply 496August 30, 2022 6:24 PM

[quote]R490 But when Mary Martin and Robert Preston performed that score it was utter magic.

We all hated the score so much we had alternate lyrics backstage.

[italic] You make me perform cunnilingus, which I happen to detest / You fuck me up the asshole and you say you like it best / Every night since we’ve been wed, you’ve refused to give me head / Every night beneath the sheet, must you watch me beat my meat???

by Anonymousreply 497August 30, 2022 6:24 PM

Well, I just blocked you because you’re fucking stupid AND annoying. Bye!

by Anonymousreply 498August 30, 2022 6:25 PM

No offense to Gabriel Byrne--I have no opinion on his acting talent. But he's a perfect example of how deluded Bway producers are.

They think he's a big movie star. He's been doing TV steadily, mostly crap, for decades now. He hasn't had anything resembling a major film career in 25-30 years.

by Anonymousreply 499August 30, 2022 6:25 PM

The PR blurb on ATC calls Bryne a "legend". I mean, I understand you can call Julie Andrews, Barbra Streisand, even Tom Cruise (who has been a big movie star for over 30 years!) legends, but Gabriel Byrne? I can't name 2 movies he was in.

by Anonymousreply 500August 30, 2022 6:27 PM

R498 Well, if you have me blocked, you won't see this, but I just blocked a new thread and once I refreshed, it immediately came back. And here's what it says when I check to see what I have blocked:

You have 0 recent threads and 74 posters on ignore.

So prove me wrong.

by Anonymousreply 501August 30, 2022 6:28 PM

r480 They aren't using the story or characters from the film

by Anonymousreply 502August 30, 2022 6:35 PM

Maybe they're counting on all those End of Days fans to show up.

by Anonymousreply 503August 30, 2022 6:40 PM

In the Gabriel Byrne autobio, they should have him sing, “Take Back Your Mink.”

by Anonymousreply 504August 30, 2022 6:41 PM

Lot o' crazies in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 505August 30, 2022 6:49 PM

"I'm the Greatest Standby: My Broadway Triumph!" by Julie Benko

by Anonymousreply 506August 30, 2022 6:53 PM

Julie Benko will be on the list of leading ladies to be called in and thought of on a lot of musicals that are being cast, based on her abilities and her saving the show during her run in "Funny Girl".

by Anonymousreply 507August 30, 2022 6:57 PM

Hahahaha um no R507.

by Anonymousreply 508August 30, 2022 6:59 PM

The only Gabriel Byrne film I can think of is The Usual Suspects and he's the weak link in the cast.

by Anonymousreply 509August 30, 2022 7:04 PM

In other news, DL fave Lea Michele continues her transition to BIPOC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 510August 30, 2022 7:05 PM

Oh, never mind ^.

That's an old photo, pre-rhinoplasty and Brazilian hair-straightening.

by Anonymousreply 511August 30, 2022 7:07 PM

Dame Laura Linney returns to the Great White Way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512August 30, 2022 7:12 PM

M.T.C. said that previews for “Summer, 1976” would begin April 4; it did not announce an opening date or other members of the cast. The organization described the new play as about an unexpected friendship between two Ohio women, “a fiercely iconoclastic artist and single mom” played by Linney, and “a free-spirited yet naïve young housewife.” The characters “navigate motherhood, ambition and intimacy, and help each other discover their own independence.”

Is there a part for Deb Messing?

by Anonymousreply 513August 30, 2022 7:13 PM

How about a Follies revival with a cast made up of black, Latino, trans and non-binary actors?

by Anonymousreply 514August 30, 2022 7:20 PM

It might be a big folly to invest in that and see how many PIPOC actually buy tickets.

by Anonymousreply 515August 30, 2022 7:21 PM

BIPOC, that is

by Anonymousreply 516August 30, 2022 7:21 PM

That Benko "Parade" on IG showed that she's not even really a belter. She should stick to cabaret.

by Anonymousreply 517August 30, 2022 7:27 PM

Exactly R517. Her “album” is a joke.

by Anonymousreply 518August 30, 2022 7:30 PM

[Quote] How about a Follies revival with a cast made up of black, Latino, trans and non-binary actors?

Get a new tune.

by Anonymousreply 519August 30, 2022 7:30 PM

Tonya Pinkins and Mo’Nique to star in a revival of “A Coupla White Chicks Sitting Around Talking.”

by Anonymousreply 520August 30, 2022 7:35 PM

Re [R512]: 1776 and 1976 each on Broadway at the same time? Imagine the confusion on matinee days, when little old ladies and the tourists show up at the wrong theater😵‍💫

by Anonymousreply 521August 30, 2022 7:48 PM

God that recent Deb Messing play was poor. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 522August 30, 2022 7:54 PM

Julie Benko will be the answer to many a trivia question in a few years. She's the millennial Marni Nixon.

by Anonymousreply 523August 30, 2022 7:59 PM

The millenial Nancy Hess.

by Anonymousreply 524August 30, 2022 8:18 PM

Nancy Ringham opened as understudy-to-leading-lady in TWO Broadway shows - "My Fair Lady" and "Threepenny Opera" (with Sting) and she didn't get as much publicity.

by Anonymousreply 525August 30, 2022 8:21 PM

[quote]In all honesty, what is there to talk about in the theater?

[quote]1776

The less said about "1776," the better.

by Anonymousreply 526August 30, 2022 8:22 PM

Julie Benko will be the millennial Lenora Nemetz.

by Anonymousreply 527August 30, 2022 8:35 PM

Neither of those shows had the problems or history Funny Girl does R525.

by Anonymousreply 528August 30, 2022 8:47 PM

Lenora could cook too. Julie can make toast.

by Anonymousreply 529August 30, 2022 8:49 PM

R528, Threepenny Opera starring Sting, Maureen McGovern who played Polly had vocal cord injury and didn’t do opening night.

by Anonymousreply 530August 30, 2022 8:54 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 531August 30, 2022 9:02 PM

R520 Thirty five years ago I had two students, one a Korean adoptee, the other Samoan, who did the contest circuit with a scene from that play just to see the judges’ faces when they announced the title!

by Anonymousreply 532August 30, 2022 9:06 PM

Anyone looking to test the block feature, please test it on r487

by Anonymousreply 533August 30, 2022 9:06 PM

R525. Nancy Ringham didn’t have social media accounts like Julie does. Julie promotes herself shamelessly but who can blame her? This is her chance and she’s making the most of it.

by Anonymousreply 534August 30, 2022 9:16 PM

Benko delivers one of the "sir" lyrics to a woman... Oy vey.

by Anonymousreply 535August 30, 2022 9:18 PM

Isn't that the blocking in the show?

by Anonymousreply 536August 30, 2022 9:38 PM

Beanie does it too? Bad blocking.

by Anonymousreply 537August 30, 2022 9:41 PM

Will there be an audience for Julie on Thursday evenings when everyone will want to see Lea?

by Anonymousreply 538August 30, 2022 9:46 PM

A DataLounger's fever/wet dream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539August 30, 2022 10:04 PM

How can you bitches have forgotten my unflagging understudying??

by Anonymousreply 540August 30, 2022 10:16 PM

That ALMOST FAMOUS cast looks rather dire.

Why is the boy being played by someone so old? And what happened to Colin Donnell? Wasn't he in the show in San Diego? Not a good sign.

by Anonymousreply 541August 30, 2022 10:20 PM

If Benko can’t do Thursday, I could free up my schedule.

by Anonymousreply 542August 30, 2022 10:36 PM

R542. Thanks, Donna. If we need a Thursday evening Mrs Strakosh we’ll be in touch.

by Anonymousreply 543August 30, 2022 10:40 PM

Is there any doubt that the next Follies revival will have Groff as Ben? Who would be Phyllis?

Groff really should have done Company on Broadway. Curse those Brits taking away cis male roles.

by Anonymousreply 544August 30, 2022 10:43 PM

Groff is a Buddy. And I do not want to see him dance "The Right Girl."

by Anonymousreply 545August 30, 2022 10:47 PM

[quote] s there any doubt that the next Follies revival will have Groff as Ben? Who would be Phyllis?

Lea Michelle and instead of a spotlight for her big number she will be only lit with a desk lamp.

by Anonymousreply 546August 30, 2022 10:49 PM

FOLLIES:

Ben: Aaron Tveit

Buddy: Ben Platt

Phyllis: Lea Michele

Sally: Beanie Feldstein

Thank God I'll probably be dead before this ever happens.

by Anonymousreply 547August 30, 2022 11:04 PM

I guess Covid killed the Last Summer at Blue Fish Cove revival that was supposed to be on Broadway?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 548August 30, 2022 11:39 PM

No, R548, just lack of interest.

I would like to see Olivia Colman in The Killing of Sister George one day. With Anya Taylor-Joy as Childie and Emma Thompson as Mercy Croft.

by Anonymousreply 549August 31, 2022 12:00 AM

I take a hard pass at anything with Leguizamo or Baldwin. The thought of the two of them ruining a funny play like Art makes my stomach churn. Absurd combination, although I could imagine Shalhoub as the perfect Yvan. But he'll probably play Serge. Alec Baldwin IS Marc. That's why I don't want to see him playing himself.

by Anonymousreply 550August 31, 2022 12:53 AM

A big Broadway producer is busy trying to lure Olivia Colman to Broadway with a specific play by a deceased playwright.

by Anonymousreply 551August 31, 2022 1:02 AM

Finally interesting gossip. Any more specifics R551?

by Anonymousreply 552August 31, 2022 1:04 AM

Killing of Sister George is a very unpleasant play. And dated.

by Anonymousreply 553August 31, 2022 1:05 AM

[quote]Killing of Sister George is a very unpleasant play. And dated.

You may remember that my wife, the actress Coral Browne, was in the movie version.

by Anonymousreply 554August 31, 2022 1:08 AM

R552-Two women are the leading roles.

by Anonymousreply 555August 31, 2022 1:12 AM

[quote]Speaking of weddings did anyone see It Shoulda Been You starring Tyne Daly?

R475 I'm not sure about the quality of the boot you watched, but in the theater, IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU was a real treat. Not a Broadway Gem, but a solid, funny comedy with some nice performances. Josh Grisetti was terrific in the two-dimensional lead, while Edward Hibbert as Albert, the Wedding Planner, deliciously ate up the scenery. Lots of Broadway veterans in the cast, including Tyne Daly, Harriet Harris, Sierra Boggess, Montego Glover, and Chip Zien.

Sondheim talks about A Funny Thing, and describes the three kinds of jokes that work well in vaudeville/bulesque: short, medium, and long. In Funny Thing, the long joke is Erronius circling the town seven times.... "that's one!" In It Shoulda Been You, Hubbard has the long joke, with his constant reconciling of each absurd dilemma with "Oh, I saw that coming..." Of course, with the big twist/reveal two thirds of the way through, Hibbert calmly walks down center, turns to the audience and with a vaudevillian's timing worthy of Jack Benny delivers "Well, I didn't see THAT coming!" Probably the longest, loudest laugh on Broadway that season.

I'm surprised it's not done a lot in Community Theater - one set, cast of twelve. But there is a gay sub plot (handled with diplomacy to say the least) so that may explain why it hasn't caught on.

IMHO

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556August 31, 2022 1:51 AM

R551, Martha in Virginia Woolf?

by Anonymousreply 557August 31, 2022 2:01 AM

Will Broadway welcome back Alec Baldwin with open arms?

by Anonymousreply 558August 31, 2022 2:02 AM

What a great guessing game for the dog days of summer, r551! Let's see if we can guess this.

Is it a recently deceased playwright? Or older like Williams or Miller? Or even older still like Noel Coward? Or more classic like Shaw or Shakespeare?

If it's 2 lead actresses I'm gonna guess Terrence McNally's A PERFECT GANESH. That would be perfect for Olivia paired with another great British actress like Sarah Lancashire. And Terrence's widower Tom Kirdahy is certainly a big Broadway producer. I hope I'm right, I always regretted that I didn't see the play at MTC in the early 1990s. But it would require some star names to get it to Broadway.

Am I right, r551?

by Anonymousreply 559August 31, 2022 2:04 AM

Or with open fire?

by Anonymousreply 560August 31, 2022 2:06 AM

It's Deuce.

by Anonymousreply 561August 31, 2022 2:07 AM

R561, Then she'll get to say "cunt" like I did.

by Anonymousreply 562August 31, 2022 2:10 AM

If "Killing of Sister George" comes back to Broad Way, I'd like to see it star Cherry Jones, Sarah Paulson and Holland Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 563August 31, 2022 2:21 AM

[quote]Tommy D has Zanetta dickmatized. Ye Gods!

Clyde Alves had everyone dickmatized as Tommy D in the last good revival.

by Anonymousreply 564August 31, 2022 2:26 AM

If "Killing of Sister George" comes back to Broadway, I'd like to see Rosie, Beanie, and Miriam Margolyes.

by Anonymousreply 565August 31, 2022 2:29 AM

[quote] Groff really should have done Company on Broadway. Curse those Brits taking away cis male roles.

I feel it’s almost certain he will play Bobby in a Company revival within the next 10 years. He’s really perfect for that role. It’s a shame the female version happened now because he’s the correct Bobby age currently, but I think he can still pull it off in the future as long as he’s under 45 as he reads boyish.

by Anonymousreply 566August 31, 2022 2:30 AM

Oh my God Patti’s bray is still ricocheting around the theater. Let’s not talk about a company revival.

Sondheim is dead. Beanie is gone. Stop worrying where the fuck you’re going. Move the fuck on.

by Anonymousreply 567August 31, 2022 2:36 AM

I guess Groff would be fine since so many people HERE seem to be interested in what he's doing nearly all the time. I mean, he already went full-frontal in a film -- other than hard, there's nothing more to see.

by Anonymousreply 568August 31, 2022 2:38 AM

Well, there's always gratuitous presentation of hole.

by Anonymousreply 569August 31, 2022 2:39 AM

And full on fucking.

by Anonymousreply 570August 31, 2022 2:40 AM

I knew it wasn't only his singing -- though he has a good voice.

by Anonymousreply 571August 31, 2022 2:43 AM

Momentarily forgot what thread I was in, because my mind immediately went to a different Tommy D entirely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 572August 31, 2022 2:43 AM

What became of the TOMMY revival that was headed for Bway?

I love the music but I didn't love it as a Bway musical the first time.

by Anonymousreply 573August 31, 2022 2:45 AM

[quote]a specific play by a deceased playwright

[quote]Two women are the leading roles

It's probably too soon for another LITTLE FOXES, so I guess THE CHILDREN'S HOUR.

by Anonymousreply 574August 31, 2022 2:46 AM

Olivia's too old for either lead in The Children's Hour.

by Anonymousreply 575August 31, 2022 2:47 AM

Olivia Colman is a bit too old for either of the women in THE CHILDREN'S HOUR, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 576August 31, 2022 2:47 AM

Seems to be a pretty common opinion (unsurprisingly).

by Anonymousreply 577August 31, 2022 2:49 AM

I wonder if The Children's Hour could ever be produced on Broadway again, what with Hellman's and all the other various denials of it being about lesbianism? Would gays be in an uproar? I would, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 578August 31, 2022 2:50 AM

Jinx, R575!

I enjoy Olivia C. But she's 47, and curiously enough, reads even older to me.

by Anonymousreply 579August 31, 2022 2:50 AM

[quote] Groff already went full-frontal in a film -- other than hard, there's nothing more to see.

[quote] Well, there's always gratuitous presentation of hole.

We’ve seen both.

by Anonymousreply 580August 31, 2022 2:51 AM

Pics or it didn't happen...

by Anonymousreply 581August 31, 2022 2:51 AM

Agreed, r576, though she'd be a hoot as the slatternly aunt, so memorably portrayed by Miriam Hopkins in the later film.

by Anonymousreply 582August 31, 2022 2:52 AM

CHILDREN'S HOUR would be pretty weak tea in 2022, I think.

Weren't there allegations that little old Lillian Hellman plagiarized that, just like she stole the story in the movie JULIA?

by Anonymousreply 583August 31, 2022 2:52 AM

R583 = Mary McCarthy

by Anonymousreply 584August 31, 2022 2:54 AM

I think Hellman based Children's Hour loosely on a real incident or trial but that's hardly plagiarism.

by Anonymousreply 585August 31, 2022 2:56 AM

The was a West End revival of CHILDREN'S HOUR starring Keira Knightley and Elisabeth Moss, directed by Ian Rickson in 2011.

by Anonymousreply 586August 31, 2022 2:59 AM

Yes, Hellman based it on a historical incident.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 587August 31, 2022 3:00 AM

In honor of the fond memories r438 brought up as the thread draws to a close, Mr Goldwyn in The Water's Edge

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 588August 31, 2022 3:05 AM

I know it’s not from a dead playwright, but I would like to see Olivia Colman in “Doubt”.

by Anonymousreply 589August 31, 2022 3:07 AM

Speaking of gratuitous presentation of hole, anyone else remember Hunter Foster in Burning, bending over the couch (or bed?) to offer his ass to his soon-to-be lover? Good times.

by Anonymousreply 590August 31, 2022 3:07 AM

Who wants to suggest a new title for the next thread?

Please, god, please: no mention of FUNNY GIRL or anyone who ever has or ever will be playing her. I beg you.

That champagne was flat the first time around,

by Anonymousreply 591August 31, 2022 3:15 AM

i got zip.

by Anonymousreply 592August 31, 2022 3:16 AM

R588, you need to add "/embed" to Tumblr links so that they don't get converted to safe mode, which requires a login. If you use an embed link, people can view the Tumblr link without loggining in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 593August 31, 2022 3:17 AM

Sleep juicy

by Anonymousreply 594August 31, 2022 3:18 AM

Slim pickings. We've got Olivia Colman and Jon Groff's hole to choose from.

by Anonymousreply 595August 31, 2022 3:18 AM

Don't forget about me, bitches. You know you've missed me!

by Anonymousreply 596August 31, 2022 3:19 AM

Thanks for the tip, r593. I had no idea. I don't really use Tumblr. Just found that in a Google image search.

by Anonymousreply 597August 31, 2022 3:20 AM

r551 are you ever going to return with more clues??

by Anonymousreply 598August 31, 2022 3:21 AM

r596, we wish we could forget about you, Baldwin. Don't get trigger-happy over it.

by Anonymousreply 599August 31, 2022 3:22 AM

we both reached for the gun

by Anonymousreply 600August 31, 2022 3:23 AM

Bajour!

by Anonymousreply 601August 31, 2022 3:23 AM

Bajour?

by Anonymousreply 602August 31, 2022 3:24 AM

"Some Like It Shot: Baldwin's Back On Bway" Edition....

by Anonymousreply 603August 31, 2022 3:24 AM

Yes, R602. It's a musical.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 604August 31, 2022 3:25 AM

We know that. It's Bajour time!

by Anonymousreply 605August 31, 2022 3:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!