Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Talented (And Elusive) Ms. Highsmith

There’s a documentary about Patricia Highsmith opening next month and an (!) indecent adventurous graphic novel about her out soon. I’ve only seen the movies Carol and The Talented Mr. Ripley, but am thinking about reading her books. She seems like such an enigmatic and complex person, and someone firmly planted in mid 20th century. I’m intrigued that Marijane Meaker, a prominent author and her lover for awhile, is still alive and I look forward to what she has to say. I think she’ll be the voice of reason within the documentary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 13, 2022 9:21 AM

A crazy drunk racist lezza

by Anonymousreply 1August 22, 2022 12:02 PM

Trailer for the documentary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 22, 2022 12:04 PM

The graphic novel:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 22, 2022 12:05 PM

I like her. Great writer. Stupid bitch at R1 accusing her of being racist while using slurs for lesbians in the same time. These fake wokes are really the biggest idiots.

Not to mention that they would probably erase the whole history of arts if you cancel all the homophobes, racists, anti Semites, misogynist artists. No need to go far, Eminem for eg. was a major homophobic misogynist.

by Anonymousreply 4August 22, 2022 12:16 PM

R4 you can’t seriously be trying to rehabilitate this self-loathing demented anti-Semite ?

by Anonymousreply 5August 22, 2022 12:33 PM

Why would she need a rehabilitation R5? As far as I know her work has not been prohibited. You have to learn to separate art and artist in US, like it is done in civilized world. Cause not much art has been created by the nuns.

by Anonymousreply 6August 22, 2022 12:37 PM

Thanks OP for the link/s.

Had no idea she was so beautiful as a young woman, not that it has any bearing on her sublime writing.

by Anonymousreply 7August 22, 2022 12:40 PM

I like the movies made out of her books -- even the Ben Affleck one -- but when I try to read the books, they just don't grab me and I abandon them quickly.

by Anonymousreply 8August 22, 2022 12:43 PM

R8, I feel the same way. Last night I finally watched “Deep Water” (I also enjoy Adrian Lyne’s films), and enjoyed it.

There was another one with Patrick Wilson and Jessica Biel.

by Anonymousreply 9August 22, 2022 12:49 PM

R6 Sorry, this “bitch” (classy btw) will clarify: crazy drunk AND demented racist sapphic.

After all the terrible recent biographies she needs this hopeless thread. She’s hardly a C19th writer: she was writing after the Holocaust and should know better. But of course she wasn’t the only post-war anti-Semitic crazy lesbian writer; you tried Muriel Spark?

by Anonymousreply 10August 22, 2022 1:11 PM

R7 Though it’s a bit messier and more spontaneous than his usual work I thought maybe the photo was by George Platt Lynes with his use of raking light. But this website gives credit to Harper & Brothers, so it was a publisher’s photo. That’s interesting because she was only 21, and the article says she got her start writing comic books and this would be 8 years before her debut novel?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 22, 2022 1:22 PM

Links to great articles to read before seeing the documentary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 27, 2022 4:12 AM

Guess I don't look so bad these days...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 27, 2022 4:18 AM

In related news, Marijane Meaker is dead to me…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 3, 2022 4:46 AM

I binged her books once and only a general impression she made sticks with me through the years: she could really write.

I seem to recall an insidious sense of impending … something. Not horror, exactly, but that something transgressive, something bad was coming. But not in such a way that I wanted to stop reading to get any relief from the mood. It just made me want to read more.

I can’t argue that her personality wasn’t fucked up but as a child who had a lifelong running battle with my own mother, I do tend to excuse her for how tortured she was because I relate.

by Anonymousreply 15December 3, 2022 4:57 AM

A first-rate writer of exceptional skill and cunning, not given her proper due because the lit-crit/bookchat types back in the day looked down their noses at genre fiction. They also looked down on homo love and novels where the protagonist is a relentless criminal sociopath who always gets away with it.

Highsmith was one of the very best.

by Anonymousreply 16December 3, 2022 5:04 AM

Totally agree r16. Her writing was fantastic, I've read everything she ever wrote.

by Anonymousreply 17December 3, 2022 5:11 AM

For those of you who have Kanopy available through your Public Library the documentary is now on that platform. It’s an interesting mix of period footage and contemporary with some interesting juxtapositions like rodeo footage. Family members of hers were big on the Texas rodeo circuit. Marijane Meeker’s footage is quite good and a dominant element in the story telling.

If your library also has Hoopla, the graphic novel is accessible through that platform. The story only covers a short period of her life revolving around the writing of Strangers on a Train, and it looks to have the potential for future installments.

by Anonymousreply 18December 13, 2022 8:12 AM

Brie Larson could play her.

by Anonymousreply 19December 13, 2022 8:14 AM

Love her. An exceptionally talented writer.

by Anonymousreply 20December 13, 2022 8:23 AM

I read a biography and she sounded awful and weird too. Big time alcoholic, misanthrope, issues with her parents, kept pet snails in her handbag, went from woman to woman. But talented and her success was admirable.

by Anonymousreply 21December 13, 2022 9:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!