Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends - Admire the Outside of This Stunning $3.8m Omaha Estate

From afar, this manse is glorious. The gardens/lawn, the pool, the spotless brick exterior, etc.

Just don't step inside. You'll think Laura Ashley and Caligula had a baby, and that baby had a stroke before decorating the place.

But not to worry, dears. The realtor is explicit that buyers must show proof of funds before she'll waste time showing the property.

Dinner is served!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 19, 2022 7:14 PM

Proof of funds? Is that common?

by Anonymousreply 1August 19, 2022 3:31 AM

Psychotic decor.

by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2022 3:35 AM

R1 It's probably a reasonable step to take when showing a property of this scale and price range. Don't want to waste an afternoon showing it to yokels who can't afford a full-time gardener and a full-time housekeeper. Plus, the blind old fruitbat who owns this place might still be alive, and the realtor would have to shuffle her off someplace for each showing, so she'd better make it worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2022 3:35 AM

It is actually a nice house but of course, it needs redecorating. The decor is not Laura Ashley, it is a ridiculous mishmash of crap.

by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2022 3:42 AM

Green carpet in the bath.

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2022 3:47 AM

I actually like the tile in the kitchen.

And hate the carpeting.

by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2022 3:47 AM

Green carpeting in the bathroom?

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2022 3:52 AM

Hideous. I need to have my eyes scraped. Too many patterns. I'd have a panic attack walking in the front door.

by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2022 3:52 AM

For fuck's sake, it's Omaha. What did you expect?

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2022 4:14 AM

R9 There are plenty of tasteful homes in Omaha

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2022 5:38 PM

Eleven bathrooms. Okay, five bedrooms, so let’s assume there are two people in each bed. What is the ELEVENTH bathroom for?

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2022 5:45 PM

I'm not hugely familiar with 1930s American architecture but surely a red brick home built in 1939 was unusual for the time?

by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2022 5:45 PM

Great googly moogly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2022 5:47 PM

The ceilings are too low and especially so for the size of the rooms. When the ceilings are occasionally high, they are ugly and useless.

by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2022 6:01 PM

They never heard of the phrase Less is more. Just throw most of the crap out and it would be a nice house. Btw what's with the birthday box packages on the toilet?

by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2022 6:24 PM

I actually like the interiors but I love the OP’s bitchy description since it really does conjure up a visual of the floral and black scheme.

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2022 6:26 PM

[quote]I'm not hugely familiar with 1930s American architecture but surely a red brick home built in 1939 was unusual for the time?

Not at all, an interest in the Colonial Revival and Its uptown cousin Georgian Revival arose in the 1870s and has stuck around without interruption to the present day. Red brick Colonials and Georgians were at peak from the 1890s through WWII. And variations on these styles are popular today in suburban developments, for example - more an Easy Coast and Southern taste now, but found elsewhere too.

Nebraska has no architectural history, no regional architecture to draw inspiration from; its culture had to be imported from what was popular elsewhere. But their poor upbringing is not the only reason. In Southern California Spanish Revival and Mediterranean derived architecture had a link to the region's colonial past and it's architectural history, but you also find Cape Cods and East Coast Colonial Revivals and more English derived Georgian Revivals from the same period 1900s-1940s. The period I'd sometimes referred to an the Eclectic Era to take into account the variety of architectural revival styles that flourished then.

Rich clients whether in Omaha or L.A. or Darien selected styles that suited their taste and often which made the desired statement about what kind of people they were.

by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2022 6:34 PM

This is how I would imagine the first marital home looked for Sarah Ferguson and Prince Andrew.

by Anonymousreply 18August 19, 2022 6:35 PM

The kitchen is almost nice in a somebody took a trip to Lisbon sort of way.

Low ceilings kill much of the house, and no amount of clearing out the previous owner's taste and installing one's as own will fix low ceilings

by Anonymousreply 19August 19, 2022 6:37 PM

piss-elegance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 19, 2022 6:37 PM

R20 what do you do in this room? What is it's purpose?

by Anonymousreply 21August 19, 2022 6:39 PM

That is the crux of the matter.

by Anonymousreply 22August 19, 2022 6:44 PM

R21 I think it's a breakfast nook, only instead of windows to capture the morning sun, you get a dry tile fountain and hand-painted portraits of the old lady's dead animals.

It's still less depressing than that pitch-black room with the ballet mirrors. You couldn't even do coke in that room!

by Anonymousreply 23August 19, 2022 7:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!