Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hot Richard Engel Announces Death of 'Beloved' 6-Year-Old Son Henry

The foreign correspondent's son Henry was diagnosed with Rett Syndrome in 2017

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 19, 2022 7:13 PM

That really sucks. I don't have kids, but I gotta think that REALLY sucks.

by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2022 10:43 PM

Mercy. May his memory be a blessing.

by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2022 10:43 PM

[quote] 'Beloved'

It's rude to use inverted commas.

by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2022 10:44 PM

Heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2022 11:07 PM

Sad that God took the beloved son and not the unloved other one.

by Anonymousreply 5August 18, 2022 11:15 PM

Richard Engle is not hot, but this situation is awful all the way around.

by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2022 11:21 PM

Poor little guy.

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2022 9:31 AM

Very sad. I know he brought his parents a lot of love, but so much suffering now. It is heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2022 9:35 AM

Terrible.

And they have another son, who is 3. He will bear the burden of the loss of a brother he won't even remember.

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2022 9:47 AM

Why did you irony quote beloved, you fucktard?

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2022 10:05 AM

An irony quote uses double quotation marks, R10.

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2022 10:13 AM

In American English quotation marks (double) are used for any direct speech quotation.

by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2022 10:18 AM

Yes, but single quotation marks are usually preferred in headlines.

by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2022 10:30 AM

Ah ok. I would have left off Beloved entirely because it is a given, rather stupid to mention, and one can read the direct quote in the article easily enough. Does he have a NON-BELOVED son who is in good health?

by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2022 10:35 AM

That's how the article has it, r10. Click and look for yourself. It's a direct quote, not irony quotes.

by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2022 10:35 AM

I'm sad for his loss. But I'm also sad that I live in a time when people lose very closed and very loved family members they're able to put aside their grief long enough run to the computer to post about it online. The priorities these days are just unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2022 10:44 AM

I mean I'm guessing it's easier to just announce it online rather than have to notify people one by one. You can post it then turn your phone off rather than deal with texts and calls asking if it's true. Plus you don't have to deal with people being upset they didn't find out until two days later.

by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2022 10:50 AM

Richard Engel just bigtimed Henry with those quote marks!

Ya burnt!

by Anonymousreply 18August 19, 2022 10:54 AM

Beyond sad, and The Today Show will definitely exploit this poor kid’s death just to pull at the heartstrings of their Karen viewership and give Hoda and Savannah yet another reason to cry on air and be “relatable.” Those two hens will try to out-emotion each other on air leaving zero oxygen for anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 19August 19, 2022 11:10 AM

[quote] I mean I'm guessing it's easier to just announce it online rather than have to notify people one by one.

Where I come from that's the job of the funeral director. The funeral home places all the announcements in the pertinent places. People close to the family find out relatively fast through word of mouth from various extended family members. This vulgar habit of immediate family members running to the internet to talk about their grief in losing their loved one started off as a celebrity thing. Even in grief they feel the need to garner as much publicity as possible., and sympathy is some of the best PR a celebrity can get. But now it's even the hoi polloi who do it.

by Anonymousreply 20August 19, 2022 11:18 AM

Rett syndrome, the genetic condition he suffered from, affects girls almost exclusively. Boys who have it usually die in infancy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 19, 2022 12:09 PM

About death announcements, in this case the family waited more than a week to say anything. Other people already knew but kept it quiet.

This was handled well; the kid was the public face of his rare condition and the announcement linked to a research fundraising page. But as others have said, it'll be a shame when "Today" exploits the family's suffering.

by Anonymousreply 22August 19, 2022 12:30 PM

Are Hoda & Savannah licensed Grief Counselors or are they going to wing it for ratings?

by Anonymousreply 23August 19, 2022 12:49 PM

If only they still had Kathie Lee and she could have done all her holy rolling voodoo magic casket dancing

by Anonymousreply 24August 19, 2022 1:08 PM

What a clever way to go about things.

by Anonymousreply 25August 19, 2022 1:17 PM

That cunt Savannah hates the dad so she’s not going to excel at this assignment. Cold bitch. Hoda and he are close so I’m sure her grief will be genuine.

by Anonymousreply 26August 19, 2022 1:18 PM

Maybe they’ll bring in Kelly & Ryan in mock lab coats to do a sensitive yet very confusing and awkward session

by Anonymousreply 27August 19, 2022 1:21 PM

Kathie Lee would end up talking all about Frank dying at 106 and the endless heartbreak she has endured. The Engels would be left gobsmacked 😶

by Anonymousreply 28August 19, 2022 1:24 PM

I asked Henry what was wrong with him, and he farted in my face!

by Anonymousreply 29August 19, 2022 1:29 PM

So is the other 8 year old son going to get piped up and start filming his three way fuck sessions with Asian whores?

Just asking

by Anonymousreply 30August 19, 2022 3:48 PM

Lester Holt ended last night's Evening News with it:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 19, 2022 6:10 PM

[quote]Hot Richard Engel Announces Death of 'Deloved' 6-Year-Old Half-Son Henery

by Anonymousreply 32August 19, 2022 6:21 PM

Poor little guy. We have a family member who has a child with a rare genetic disease similar to this one. From what I’ve seen, it’s really hard on the siblings. The whole family revolves around the disabled child. There’s no fault, that’s just how it is. It’s very sad.

by Anonymousreply 33August 19, 2022 6:46 PM

Well the father was pretty absentee most of the kid's life, always reporting from some war torn shit hole.

by Anonymousreply 34August 19, 2022 7:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!