Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

CNN New Boss to Brian Stelter: DROP DEAD!

Brian Stelter is out as CNN’s chief media correspondent and host of “Reliable Sources,” which will be canceled upon his departure — an expected move, given an expressed desire by the network’s new leadership to move away from opinion-based news programming.

Stelter’s exit comes less than four months after Chris Licht took over as head of CNN, following reports that the CEO was not a fan of Stelter’s opinionated on-camera style. Licht informed Stelter of the decision on Wednesday, and this Sunday will be the final episode of “Reliable Sources.”

In addition to Stelter, the entire staff of “Reliable Sources” has also been laid off. Despite the show’s cancellation, the Reliable Sources newsletter will remain, led by CNN’s senior media reporter Oliver Darcy.

“I’m grateful for my nine years with CNN, proud of what we accomplished on ‘Reliable Sources’ and so thankful for the viewers who tuned in every week for our examination of the media, truth and the stories that shape our world,” Stelter said in a statement obtained by TheWrap. “It was a rare privilege to lead a weekly show focused on the press at a time when it has never been more consequential. I’ll have more to say on Sunday.”

In a statement of her own, CNN’s chief of talent and content development Amy Entelis said Stelter “departs CNN an impeccable broadcaster. We are proud of what Brian and his team accomplished over the years, and we’re confident their impact and influence will long outlive the show.”

A network spokesperson added: “We appreciate his contributions to the network and wish him well as he embarks on new endeavors.”

The news comes one week after CNN parted ways with longtime legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin and reflects a new direction for the network under its new leadership. After being tapped by Warner Bros. Discovery chief David Zaslav to take over CNN, Licht sought to make CNN more straight-news reporting and dial down its opinion anchors. Stelter is a strong example of opinion-led journalism and was a leading voice on the network criticizing the misinformation of the Trump administration and how that was impacting news culture and democracy.

“Reliable Sources,” which was CNN’s longest-running show after debuting 30 years ago, has struggled with ratings in recent months. In June, it posted its lowest ratings since 2001, only securing an average of about 585,000 total viewers. A meager 79,000 of those eyeballs came from the key 25-54 cable news demographic.

Stelter began his career blogging about cable news as a student. He went on to become a media reporter for the New York Times before joining CNN as host of “Reliable Sources” nine years ago.

The show was launched in 1992, with Bernard Kalb as host, to scrutinize the media’s coverage of the first Gulf War. Howard Kurtz hosted the show for 15 of its 30 years before jumping to rival Fox News in 2013. The show was briefly made a segment on John King’s “State of the Union” show from 2009 to 2010, but returned to a full, one-hour standalone show in 2010.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129August 27, 2022 9:42 PM

He should file a law suit.

I'll bet he was fired because of his looks, and not because of his performance.

by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2022 9:56 PM

Look at those teeth! How can you imagine a reality where he can keep them off my giant, swinging dick?!

Of course I fired him!

by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2022 9:58 PM

[quote] “I’m grateful for my nine years with CNN, proud of what we accomplished on ‘Reliable Sources’ and so thankful for the viewers who tuned in every week for our examination of the media, truth and the stories that shape our world,”

A media watchdog who spent nine years crying about Fox while sweeping under the carpet as long as possible each successive scandal and professional lapse of CNN or MSNBC.

by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2022 12:28 AM

I never watched it during its run. I sure as hell won’t miss it.

by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2022 12:33 AM

Brutal.

Informed on Wednesday. Made to go on Thursday

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2022 2:59 AM

Homeboy made the mistake of attacking someone who turns out to be a major financial stakeholder in the new conglomerate

[quote] Among those publicly joining in on the broader criticism of CNN as having become politicized was the investor John Malone, a major financial stakeholder of the new WarnerDiscovery conglomerate. During an episode in February, Stelter cited Malone more than a dozen times in coverage of the Discovery deal for CNN and its sister properties, expressing some concern about the investor's influence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2022 3:04 AM

Is he the only one chopped from CNN's lineup?

Damn, that's cold.

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2022 3:04 AM

He's the bald, male Lisa LaFlamme!

by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2022 3:06 AM

His fate was predicted in a Tweet back in April

[quote] SOURCE: At a recent (informal) Discovery Board meeting (largest shareholder) John Malone referred to CNN's Brian Stelter as a "cancer" and a "Zucker Henchman" that has "a failing show" - (more to come)... 5:51 AM · Apr 6, 2022·Twitter Web App

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2022 3:07 AM

R7: the guy who correctly predicted Ben’s fate in April has another lead

[quote] Look for Acosta to be next. 3:16 AM · Aug 19, 2022·

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2022 3:10 AM

^ sorry BRIAN’s fate

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2022 3:11 AM

[quote] Look for Acosta to be next. 3:16 AM · Aug 19, 2022·

I love how CNN is claiming that they are now going to be "non-political."

And then they go and do something POLITICAL like firing Jim Acosta.

I smell Trump behind all of this.

by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2022 3:12 AM

[quote] This is the juicy one: In this version of events, Stelter is the victim of John Malone, the billionaire cable magnate and the most powerful investor in Warner Brothers Discovery Inc., which now owns CNN and the rest of what used to be called Time Warner.

[quote]Malone’s politics lean quite right/libertarian, though he was also critical of Donald Trump during his administration. More to the point: Current and former CNN employees believe Malone’s view of CNN is entirely colored by Fox News. “John Malone doesn’t watch CNN. John Malone only watches CNN via Fox News,” says a CNN employee. “If I watched CNN via Fox News, I would hate CNN too.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2022 3:18 AM

[quote] CNN employees 𝒃𝒆𝒍𝒊𝒆𝒗𝒆 Malone’s view of CNN is entirely colored by Fox News. “John Malone doesn’t watch CNN. John Malone only watches CNN via Fox News,” says a CNN employee.

As good a self justifying alibi pulled out of the air as any

by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2022 3:22 AM

Fat shaming.

by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2022 3:31 AM

If they can Acosta they should be a revolt.

All three of their viewers should boycott CNN.

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2022 3:31 AM

[quote] Will the outspoken primetime host Don Lemon or Jim Acosta, the sometimes combative chief domestic correspondent, be next?

Uh oh

by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2022 3:36 AM

Jim Acosta and his caustic put-downs make my loins tingle.

by Anonymousreply 18August 19, 2022 4:29 AM

Brian Stelter signed off in his final airing of CNN’s “Reliable Sources” Sunday with a message to the network and its viewers.

“I believe America needs CNN to be strong,” the CNN host said. “And they will continue to be, because all of us are going to help make that happen. The free world needs a reliable source.”

This Sunday’s show marks the final episode of the morning talk show that has been on the air since 1992, as Stelter exits CNN in a move announced Thursday.

After nine years as a host, Stelter reflected on his time at CNN, even thanking CEO Chris Licht, who reportedly wasn’t a fan of Stelter’s opinionated on-camera style, for the “unusual” opportunity to have a final show despite being canceled.

The CNN host put the responsibility for holding both CNN and the rest of the media industry accountable on audiences, since “we are all members of the media now.”

“But it’s going to be on you to hold CNN accountable,” he said to his viewers, “and not just CNN. You got to hold your local paper accountable, you got to hold your local digital outlet accountable. It’s on all of us. We are all members of the media, all helping to make it better.”

“This show’s going away but there’s gonna be so many more; we need to have room for media criticism and debate and discussion and we will,” Stelter said. “We also must make sure we are representing the full spectrum of debate and representing what’s going on in this country and in this world.”

Stelter also noted the ongoing importance and legacy of the program, calling it one of “CNN’s highest-rated weekend shows.”

“This small but mighty show punched above its weight for so many years — even a former president commented on its cancelation,” the CNN host said. “I was lucky to be a part of it for nine years but it began 30 years ago, right after the Gulf War.”

“The thing about TV is that it’s ephemeral. It’s fleeting. It evaporates up into the air and a lot of it is not even meant to be remembered,” Stelter said. “But this program transcended that,” noting that “Reliable Sources” has been increasingly used in journalism programs and classroom lessons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 22, 2022 4:32 PM

That has got to be the move forced, fake smile I've ever seen. It's 10 times worse than Rosie O'Donnell's.

by Anonymousreply 20August 22, 2022 4:37 PM

That's too bad.

I was hoping that he would read CNN to filth!

Jim Acosta would have.

by Anonymousreply 21August 22, 2022 4:40 PM

Remember that episode of Frasier when he hosted a big catered party for his fan club, and four people showed up, including the guy taking flash photos of everything and repeating, “This is greeeeat! This is greeeeeaat!”

Yeah.

by Anonymousreply 22August 22, 2022 4:50 PM

Leaked CNN memo says Stelter is just too sexy for television.

by Anonymousreply 23August 22, 2022 5:17 PM

My husband hates Stelter, but I like him. I have nothing more to contribute here.

by Anonymousreply 24August 22, 2022 5:24 PM

First it was Cuomo, then Toobin and now Stelter. Who will be next? Firing Acosta would be idiotic but he’s already been relegated to the weekend gig, so I’m concerned.

by Anonymousreply 25August 22, 2022 5:28 PM

BEST thing CNN has done in decades. Except firing Chris Cuomo. Maybe the second best.

by Anonymousreply 26August 22, 2022 5:30 PM

Yeah that Cheshire Cat smile is so unnatural. He looks like he fell out of toothpaste commercial.

by Anonymousreply 27August 22, 2022 5:35 PM

*of a

by Anonymousreply 28August 22, 2022 5:35 PM

More to come as they try to right that shipwreck. People tuned out. CNN stopped being news. It was constant whining, bitching and pot stirring. No one has time for that anymore.

by Anonymousreply 29August 22, 2022 5:37 PM

Bye, bye fugly lying douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 30August 22, 2022 5:37 PM

anyone else surprised Stelter is married to a woman? that guy pings to high heaven

by Anonymousreply 31August 22, 2022 5:39 PM

When did they get rid of Toobin? I think I saw him on CNN last week some time

by Anonymousreply 32August 22, 2022 5:41 PM

Maybe they'll hire the pigeon headed whore Kayleigh? Or Meghan McCain? Because, you know, evenhanded approach and newsiness.

by Anonymousreply 33August 22, 2022 6:04 PM

R29, your description sounds much more like Fox News.

Malone is a major right winger so my guess is that he'll want more anchors who let political talking heads (especially Conservative ones) say whatever with no pushback when they lie and distract.

by Anonymousreply 34August 22, 2022 6:07 PM

It's sad the direction in which CNN is headed. But man, that Brian guy is quite the fat-head! Bleagh!

by Anonymousreply 35August 22, 2022 6:14 PM

IMO he was never a real "journalist". He started out as a blogger commenting on the MEDIA. When he went to the NYTimes at 22 it was to comment and "report" on the MEDIA.

His whole career was about giving his opinion on the MEDIA in the guise of telling you what the media was doing. But it was all about telling you what media was worthy of believing and which wasn't - and he, quite frankly, wasn't qualified to tell anyone that.

by Anonymousreply 36August 22, 2022 6:53 PM

R36, why didn’t you capitalize “media” in each instance?

by Anonymousreply 37August 22, 2022 6:57 PM

He probably left with lovely parting gifts.

by Anonymousreply 38August 22, 2022 7:00 PM

Troll-type.

by Anonymousreply 39August 22, 2022 7:00 PM

Editrix!

by Anonymousreply 40August 22, 2022 7:01 PM

You're too fat. Get out.

by Anonymousreply 41August 22, 2022 7:03 PM

[quote]When did they get rid of Toobin? I think I saw him on CNN last week some time

I think it was last week. One day Toobin was on doing his thing about the Trump document retrieval and the next day some guy, who was identified as CNN’s chief legal analyst, was on talking about the Trump thing. I looked it up and sure enough…Toobin had just been let go.

by Anonymousreply 42August 22, 2022 7:04 PM

R32 Last week. He tweeted that he had “decided” to leave CNN.

[quote] “Friends, I've decided that, after 20 years, I'm leaving [CNN] after my vacation," Toobin wrote on Twitter. "Was great to spend my last day on air with pals Wolf [Blitzer], Anderson [Cooper] and Don [Lemon]."

He didn’t “decide” shit. He was fired.

by Anonymousreply 43August 22, 2022 9:08 PM

[quote] [R36], why didn’t you capitalize “media” in each instance?

My fingers got tired. Just l like I got tired of people pretending to be journalists.

by Anonymousreply 44August 22, 2022 9:24 PM

Thanks, R42 and R43.

by Anonymousreply 45August 22, 2022 9:42 PM

Acosta needs to take over the 11 pm news hour on MSNBC. He’d be perfect there. He’s being wasted on the weekend shift at CNN.

by Anonymousreply 46August 22, 2022 9:48 PM

CNN hasn't gotten this many thread in ages. The official CNN discussion thread died a slow dead months ago.

by Anonymousreply 47August 22, 2022 10:02 PM

And yet, Fareed Zakaria GPS, hosted by perhaps the most unengaging personality to ever be on television, remains on the air! 14 years strong!

by Anonymousreply 48August 22, 2022 10:34 PM

Fareed should also go .

by Anonymousreply 49August 22, 2022 10:43 PM

[ Jon Nicosia

@NewsPolitics · Aug 20 Source: Once the coming shakeup at @CNN is done, don't expect John Berman, Alisyn Camerota, Jim Acosta, Brianna Keilar, Jake Tapper, John King, and Don Lemon to still be at the network OR have their current show assignments." Show this thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 23, 2022 1:58 AM

CNN Reportedly ‘Blowing Up’ Morning Show New Day Next By Michael LucianoAug 22nd, 2022, 8:10 pm 1243 comments

After some big-name dismissals at CNN, Chris Licht is reportedly setting his sights on the network’s long-struggling morning show New Day, according to The Daily Beast’s Confider newsletter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 23, 2022 2:00 AM

[quote] Stelter had been an antagonist of right-wing media for much of his time at the Reliable Sources desk, but other similarly vocal CNN stars like Don Lemon and Jim Acosta are safe for now, sources familiar with the matter told Confider.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 23, 2022 2:03 AM

Chris Licht-my-hairy-asshole-Lemon!

by Anonymousreply 53August 23, 2022 2:08 AM

Not muh HECKINRINOOOOO top TALENTINOOOOOOO!!!!

by Anonymousreply 54August 23, 2022 2:09 AM

I’m surprised Alisyn Camerota is being considered since she came from Fox.

by Anonymousreply 55August 23, 2022 2:11 AM

Berman's great but that fat girl is a waste of space.

by Anonymousreply 56August 23, 2022 2:18 AM

[quote] Berman's great but that fat girl is a waste of space.

Who, Candy Crowley?

by Anonymousreply 57August 23, 2022 2:25 AM

Brian Stelter had such a punchable face.

by Anonymousreply 58August 23, 2022 2:55 AM

[quote] CNN New Boss to Brian Stelter: DROP DEAD!

Chris Licht's dismissal of Stetler was a joy to behold

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 23, 2022 3:00 AM

He always seemed like such a suck up, that needy, nerdy kid who they'd all say: Get Stelter! He'll do it!

In a way I feel sorry for him because I bet he got it too. He was Zucker's little troll, doing exactly as told, with relish, and then there was no Zucker. If you look at that list from upthread: John Berman, Alisyn Camerota, Jim Acosta, Brianna Keilar, Jake Tapper, John King, and Don Lemon.... that's a lot of talent to lose. The only excess dead weight I see is Lemon and Keilar. Yes, Acosta played the Trump antagonist a little too well (if that can be done), but Berman, Camerota, even dour Tapper, they get it.

Funny one of th-th-the names not mentioned is the silver tongued Anderson C-c-c-c-c-ooper, who n-n-n-n-ever f-f-f-fails to boot the opening of h-h-h-is intro.

by Anonymousreply 60August 23, 2022 11:19 AM

Where would someone like Don Lemon go? What would he do next?

by Anonymousreply 61August 23, 2022 11:47 AM

He'd could very happily on all the millions of dollars he's accumulated.

by Anonymousreply 62August 23, 2022 11:53 AM

Yeah Don Lemon is loaded. I could see him easily going back to NBC (where he started) and hosting occasionally.

by Anonymousreply 63August 23, 2022 12:01 PM

I remember once hearing him reference what sounded like a second home upstate, so he's probably got either debt or assets.

by Anonymousreply 64August 23, 2022 12:01 PM

He has a pad in Sag Harbor and one in Harlem

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65August 23, 2022 12:05 PM

MSNBC could sure use some talent. Maybe he can replace Tiffany “Voice Like Nails On A Chalkboard “ Cross.

by Anonymousreply 66August 23, 2022 12:06 PM

[quote] Where would someone like Don Lemon go? What would he do next?

Gameshow host on BET.

Family Feud: Cruise Ship Edition

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67August 23, 2022 12:07 PM

Oh! Oh! Oh! Where's the American who commented on the Lisa LaFlamme thread that Canada isn't a serious country because the firing of a news anchor created a stir??

At least Lisa is an actual journalist, unlike Stelter and Cuomo.

by Anonymousreply 68August 23, 2022 12:13 PM

The only CNN I watch is Anderson. Hope they keep him untethered.

by Anonymousreply 69August 23, 2022 12:14 PM

Again, you wonder how much the lifestyle of Pugsley of LaDonna are paid for or financed? Because when the gravy train hits a severance check and derails, you've got problems to solve. Funnily, Stelter with his focus over the years probably has more insight value to offer the dark side - agency or corporate communications jobs - than would Lemon, but I get a vibe of purity off Stelter that suggests it's beneath him to give up journalism to become a hack. Which means it will be a least a year before he does. A girl's gotta eat and his appetite speaks for itself.

by Anonymousreply 70August 23, 2022 12:16 PM

[quote] I watch is Anderson. Hope they keep him untethered.

I think he would prefer to be tethered face down

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71August 23, 2022 12:18 PM

OMG, he's 36? I thought he was in his 50s....wow, he looks terrible.

by Anonymousreply 72August 23, 2022 12:19 PM

He is fast and ugly. No one on DL will pay him any mind?

by Anonymousreply 73August 23, 2022 12:22 PM

[quote]If you look at that list from upthread: John Berman, Alisyn Camerota, Jim Acosta, Brianna Keilar, Jake Tapper, John King, and Don Lemon.... that's a lot of talent to lose.

The "reporter" who posted that list doesn't know what he's talking about.

by Anonymousreply 74August 23, 2022 12:35 PM

Lemon is next. You heard it here first.

by Anonymousreply 75August 23, 2022 12:38 PM

Don Lemon and Jim Acosta, two of CNN’s most opinionated and outspoken on-air journalists, are expected to stay at the network despite its new direction to a less overtly left-wing bent, an individual with knowledge of the network’s plan told TheWrap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 23, 2022 12:49 PM

Don Lemon is black and gay so they can't fire him

by Anonymousreply 77August 23, 2022 1:11 PM

I think they'd do better to reinvent the content and worry about the rest of the anchors lately, though that fat girl on the morning show should go. Talk about flat.

I have noticed the panels that have returned are a better mix though I wouldn't say they've swung hard right at all. But more Gloria Borger and David Gergen is always a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 78August 23, 2022 2:18 PM

I can’t imagine living with someone as insufferable as Lemon.

by Anonymousreply 79August 23, 2022 3:53 PM

One endless litany of variations on 'does this make me look fat?'

by Anonymousreply 80August 23, 2022 3:55 PM

I remember being astonished finding out he was married to a woman.

by Anonymousreply 81August 23, 2022 4:05 PM

So CNN is going to be more “neutral” because they were supposedly too far left, but it’s OK for Faux News to remain far right?

Such bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 82August 23, 2022 4:07 PM

R82, this would leave in place MSNBC and Fox being the two sides of the same coin, and taking CNN off the coin altogether.

by Anonymousreply 83August 23, 2022 4:13 PM

Brian always does that weird fake smile that so many celebrities do, where they show both rows of teeth. It’s like an animal baring its choppers. Or a little kid told to “say cheese.”

by Anonymousreply 84August 23, 2022 4:34 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85August 23, 2022 7:40 PM

That I posted above before Muriel so rudely interrupted me was Brian Stelter had 3 years left on his contract and according to the above link he will still collect that money. So someone wanted him gone enough they were willing to pay him to leave. John Malone anyone.

by Anonymousreply 86August 23, 2022 7:43 PM

Pretty good deal for Stelter, R86.

Collecting millions to do absolutely nothing for the next three years.

I would take it!

by Anonymousreply 87August 23, 2022 7:46 PM

I just hope he doesn't snack his way through the money or the time.

by Anonymousreply 88August 23, 2022 10:25 PM

It must be difficult to be somebody like that, publicly fired, and then waiting for the phone to ring with an offer. Because it might not and you can't kid yourself any more. I think of this guy or Lemon.... CNN is likely as good as it's ever gonna get.

by Anonymousreply 89August 23, 2022 10:27 PM

He's made a good chunk of money being a producer on "The Morning Show" (the Apple TV show, not CNN.) He'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 90August 23, 2022 11:39 PM

[quote] It must be difficult to be somebody like that, publicly fired, and then waiting for the phone to ring with an offer.

Those contracts normally have a non compete clause, so Stelter would get his money but he wouldn't be able to accept a job in the news business. So Stelter won't starve to death or become homeless in the next three years but he can't end up on MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC etc. I suspect he will write a book and collect the checks from CNN. Of course I don't know how exactly his contract is structured but that how it normally works, they won't pay you while you go work for the competition.

by Anonymousreply 91August 23, 2022 11:51 PM

R81, and a pushy obnoxious little troll, at that. We loooove to hate-watch Jamie on NY1.

She talked about not letting him into the apartment while the kids were napping, so he wouldn’t wake them up. Uh, these kids live in midtown Manhattan. Pretty sure they hear louder noise than their dad opening the front door to their apartment.

Well, as Judge Judy would say: “he married her”

by Anonymousreply 92August 24, 2022 12:07 AM

Fat ugly people should never be on television.

by Anonymousreply 93August 24, 2022 12:13 AM

Is Chub Keilar in danger?

by Anonymousreply 94August 24, 2022 12:20 AM

He only got one mil a year? Isn't that pretty low for those jobs? Not low for regular people but for those commentators. $3mil to get rid of him is peanuts to them.

by Anonymousreply 95August 24, 2022 12:44 AM

Gloria Borger and David Gergen are politer versions of Maddow's or Lemon's standard guests. They represent no shift in the discussion.

by Anonymousreply 96August 24, 2022 12:47 AM

Brianna Keilar’s claim to fame was being that sassy gal who would SCHOOL those dumb Republicans! It was tired and old and the exact thing the new boss wants stopped. I don’t think she has much to offer beyond that. She might be next.

by Anonymousreply 97August 24, 2022 12:56 AM

r91 how long do the non-compete terms last? WHET to Brooke Baldwin?

r97 you must be a Republican. Brianna Keilar was chief White House correspondent, and a great one. Hillary Clinton requested Brianna interview her on CNN during her 2016 campaign and Brianna ended up getting her own show shortly after. You can talk shit about Brianna but I bet you don't want to see resting-bitch face homophobic-ass Kaitlan Collins on the morning show!

by Anonymousreply 98August 24, 2022 1:04 AM

You can't blame these people for being exactly what CNN wanted at the time. Hopefully, they saved their money.

by Anonymousreply 99August 24, 2022 1:05 AM

Keilar is a classic example that great reporters don't make great anchors.

by Anonymousreply 100August 24, 2022 1:14 AM

Maybe OnlyFans for Mr Lemon?

by Anonymousreply 101August 24, 2022 1:22 AM

[quote] Hillary Clinton requested Brianna interview her on CNN during her 2016 campaign

You think that's a compliment for a journalist?

by Anonymousreply 102August 24, 2022 2:00 AM

r102 who cares if it's a compliment r102? It resulted in her getting her own program which means more money.

by Anonymousreply 103August 24, 2022 2:03 AM

But she won't keep it. She's a lousy anchor. No personality and too much like Candy Crowley.

by Anonymousreply 104August 24, 2022 2:19 AM

[quote] [R91] how long do the non-compete terms last?

It depends on what is written in the contract but normally a non-compete clause lasts the term of the contract. Stelter could chose to accept another job and lose the pay if someone offers him more money. We don't know the terms of the contract and what type of job would be allowed and which would not, hell we don't even know for sure there is a non-complete clause but CNN would be foolish not to have one. I am just speaking for what is normal.

by Anonymousreply 105August 24, 2022 5:55 PM

He'll land at some lower tier place. There are lots of start-up cable shows that love to land former "names", especially from CNN or the big networks, to give the start-up some street cred.

It's kind of like those B movie producers in the 1960's signing former big name MGM stars for their shlock films.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106August 24, 2022 6:27 PM

[quote] It's kind of like those B movie producers in the 1960's signing former big name MGM stars for their shlock films.

Like Ed Wood and Bela Lugosi!

by Anonymousreply 107August 24, 2022 6:32 PM

Hell why would they care if he "competes"? He's not exactly competitive. Let him go elsewhere and sink their ratings.

by Anonymousreply 108August 24, 2022 7:13 PM

[quote] ‘Reliable Sources’ Draws 769,000 Viewers In Final Week As CNN’s Top Sunday Show

The final episode of Reliable Sources on Sunday drew an average of 769,000 total viewers and 105,000 in adults 25-54, according to Nielsen.

That was an increase in the show’s numbers from the previous week, and was the most watched show on CNN on Sunday, according to Nielsen. Fox News’ MediaBuzz, hosted by Howard Kurtz, handily topped the time slot among cable news networks with 1.39 million viewers and 220,000 in the 25-54 demo. Reliable Sources beat MSNBC’s second hour of The Sunday Show with Jonathan Capehart, which drew an average of 641,000 and 76,000 in the 25-54 demo. In the previous week, Reliable Sources averaged 693,000 total viewers and 68,000 in the 25-54 demo.

CNN canceled Reliable Sources last week after a 30-year run, and host Brian Stelter is exiting the network. Replays of Inside Politics will fill the time slot in the interim as CNN reworks its Sunday schedule. The network is seeking a show to appeal to a broader audience than one focused on the media, even though Stelter and his guests on the final show made the case for its existence.

On the show, Stelter said that Reliable Sources “punched above its weight for so many years. Even a former president commented on the cancellation,” referring to Donald Trump.

Sunday’s final show also featured some discussion of the direction of CNN under new corporate parent Warner Bros Discovery, with David Zaslav praising new chairman and CEO Chris Licht for “pivoting” CNN away from a partisan tilt, per Variety. Zaslav said that the country “needs a news network where everybody can come and be heard; Republicans, Democrats.”

Eric Deggans, NPR’s TV critic, warned of the perils of “both sides” journalism at a time of misinformation and threats to democracy. “I hope what we’re not going to see CNN do is institute some sort of false equivalence, where the extremism of one party is balanced with the regular dysfunction of another party. We need to be free to call out when someone breaks the law, when someone breaks norms, when someone introduces prejudice and stereotypes into the public debate.”

John Malone, a major shareholder in Warner Bros Discovery, has been critical of the network under previous boss Jeff Zucker, but in an email to the New York Times, he denied that he played any role in the cancellation of Reliable Sources and the exit of Stelter.

The Reliable Sources newsletter will continue at CNN under Oliver Darcy, senior media reporter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109August 25, 2022 12:39 AM

I'm sure the viewers were hoping that he would tell CNN to FUCK RIGHT OFF!

Too bad he's such a coward.

by Anonymousreply 110August 25, 2022 12:40 AM

R105, honestly, where would the demand for him be coming from? It's amazing he was ever on TV.

by Anonymousreply 111August 25, 2022 12:44 AM

Classic bullied fat boy.

He's too scared of CNN executives, to ever tell them the fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 112August 25, 2022 2:11 AM

Brian Stelter just has the stench of fat kid who wants the cool kids to like him.

by Anonymousreply 113August 25, 2022 2:25 AM

How did he ever get hired in the first place? He’s not a looker.

by Anonymousreply 114August 25, 2022 3:22 AM

[quote]Brian Stelter just has the stench of fat kid who wants the cool kids to like him.

Yeah, really!

by Anonymousreply 115August 25, 2022 3:22 AM

[quote] How did he ever get hired in the first place? He’s not a looker.

Once upon a time he actually had a good media independent blog,. I had it bookmarked and checked it regularly.

Then he went to CNN and became a total sellout shill.

by Anonymousreply 116August 25, 2022 3:33 AM

Now do Joy Reid.

by Anonymousreply 117August 25, 2022 3:37 AM

Dear troll, Joy Reid is on a different network. You're truly basic as far as trolls go.

by Anonymousreply 118August 25, 2022 3:38 AM

Things are just not the same on CNN unless DL icon Clarissa Ward is an army helmet or burka in a war torn country .

by Anonymousreply 119August 25, 2022 5:08 AM

He should play Jason Alexander's brother on a future episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

by Anonymousreply 120August 25, 2022 5:21 AM

seemingly gay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121August 25, 2022 5:27 AM

“Outrage porn” is the perfect name for what MSNBC (and sometimes CNN) does. Every day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122August 26, 2022 9:20 PM

I would love to know exactly what CNN's new boss thinks objective coverage of Trump looks like. I would. I think it would be like covering Al Capone, but I suspect this bitch has different ideas.

by Anonymousreply 123August 26, 2022 9:23 PM

And also the entire whoring grift that is the modern Republican Party. How do you cover that, objectively? Very carefully, I'm guessing, from the bright new CNN perspective.

by Anonymousreply 124August 26, 2022 9:26 PM

According to this link Chris Licht laid off the entire staff.

[quote] The entire staff of the program was laid off as well.

That is sending a message not just cancelling a show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125August 27, 2022 1:11 PM

Why are his tie knots so loose and floppy?

Bad look.

by Anonymousreply 126August 27, 2022 2:12 PM

R125 I don’t think the new management was too happy with Stelter’s coverage of the Chris Cuomo firing and how it was handled.

by Anonymousreply 127August 27, 2022 9:34 PM

How did he handle the firing? I can't even remember. He's such a fart catcher I figure he only leans whichever way the most powerful person in the room leans.

by Anonymousreply 128August 27, 2022 9:39 PM

R128 I meant CNN’s handling of it, not Stelter’s.

by Anonymousreply 129August 27, 2022 9:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!