Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Indian Matchmaking

It’s a Netflix show, the second season is out now. It’s bonkers!

Some of the girls are totally unaware of how they come across and all are highly-educated people who nonetheless go to astrologers and face readers to check their compatibility.

This girl is the worst of the lot. Just miserable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 29, 2022 10:17 PM

OP I have prominent Chitra nakshatra, the glamourous star! Though mine is the moon sign and not the sun, unlike many of the old Hollywood doyennes..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2022 2:40 PM

I live in an area of very high Indian population and, not going to lie, am thinking of going and having my face read and horoscope done by some of these readers. The major Hindu holidays are now familiar to me but the matchmaking part of it has opened my eyes to the lives many of my neighbors live behind closed doors.

by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2022 2:56 PM

There is a slew of Indian-American movies on Netflix right now.

Apparently, a good script is not a requirement.

by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2022 3:20 PM

R3, what about singing and dancing?

by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2022 3:28 PM

Having learned both Vedic and Tropical chart systems, I must say I feel my Tropical chart feels more like ‘me’. Everything in my Vedic is shifted a sign backward, in a way that feels incongruent. The house rulership system in Vedic also feels way too overcomplicated and unrelatable to me.

If I’m going for an alternative chart to Tropical, I’ll usually pull up a Draconic or some Personas instead.

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2022 2:03 PM

There was a smart and otherwise reasonable girl I knew in College, an Indian born and raised in St. Maarten, who would always fret to me about finding a husband compatible with her star-sign, blood type, caste etc. Indian culture can be beautiful and rich in some regards, atavistic in others.

by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2022 10:20 PM

It's awful, do not watch this.

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2022 10:32 PM

[quote][R3], what about singing and dancing?

The one I saw poked fun at the typical dances during the movie, but then the entire cast did it while the end credits were rolling - stuff like that screw in the lighbulb dance.

by Anonymousreply 8August 20, 2022 2:54 AM

I can't stand the queeny jewelry maker/ chef. I wanted to see the wedding rituals but I had to FF through it. All the rest of the men were great catches. The chicken farmer/engineer is a catch but I looked at pictures of the city he's in and it's no wonder he cant get a woman to move there.

The woman from Houston and the Girl from N.J. are somewhat delusional but I feel for them. The Houston one is impossibly judgmental and the Jersey girl is like a lot of women who worked hard/played hard and now finds that "all the good ones are taken." Plus, she still has Cinderella complex. The scene where the guy dumped her was heart breaking.

by Anonymousreply 9August 20, 2022 1:29 PM

[quote] The scene where the guy dumped her was heart breaking.

Alright, so I know it's "reality" tv drama, but this guy flies cross country for a meet-up, and on arriving immediately dumps her? That's just sick.

What, his excuse is he wanted to do it in person? Fuck that, you stall and wait till she gets home. At least the seed of doubt would've been planted and she wouldn't get completely blindsided.

I think he just wanted production to pay for a trip to L.A.

by Anonymousreply 10August 21, 2022 8:21 AM

She had previously just remotely dumped the guy who was a safe match. I felt for him, and was concerned that all during their Facetime he was dangling his phone out over the side of a bridge,

by Anonymousreply 11August 21, 2022 8:47 AM

^ I think it's the opposite. Production made him do it in person to capture the drama. To be fair, Auntie Sima warned her that he was too young.

When she dumped the short guy she said it was because he didn't make a move on her. He thought he was being respectful and she thought he wasn't into her. She should have at least given him the chance to make a move.

by Anonymousreply 12August 21, 2022 8:55 AM

[quote] Production made him do it in person to capture the drama.

Sure, as stated they want to maximize drama, doesn't mean you have to be a heartless prick and go along with the cruelest scenario. He's a willing selfish shit, as was predictable when he walked into that party. She may be as well.

by Anonymousreply 13August 21, 2022 7:48 PM

Auntie Sima got in some hot water for saying that Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra weren't a good match.

by Anonymousreply 14August 21, 2022 8:04 PM

I laughed when Aunt Sima came for Nick and Priyanka...I'm rooting for the doctors I hope they are still together. The Jersey girl is looking for someone from the subcontinent when she is West Indian/Guyanese. She's not a good match culturally because the Indians from South Asia look down on Indians from Guyana and Trinidad. There are plenty of Guyanese or Trinidadian men who would want to marry her, but she's too obsessed on finding her Bollywood love match.

by Anonymousreply 15August 21, 2022 8:21 PM

I used to work with many Indian ex-pats. Watching this show I'm reminded how distinctly Indian certain hand gestures, moves of the head and facial expressions are. Not saying it's the only culture with it's own body language, but they do seem to take it to different level.

by Anonymousreply 16August 21, 2022 9:49 PM

I like that all the families drink and have a good time. They men don't seem to take themselves so seriously even while living very responsible lives. All the women seemed damaged by past relationships . The Houston lawyer is truly frightening. Can you imagine going up against her in court? Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 17August 23, 2022 4:07 PM

Not sure I'd want her representing me either. She might throw the case based on some trivial personal animus. The guy from LA she was dating was fine.

Agree, in general they seem to like to party, even the Uncles and Aunties.

by Anonymousreply 18August 24, 2022 12:30 AM

Shital (unfortunate name) is the happy ending of this season - without Autie's assistance - glad she found her man.

by Anonymousreply 19August 29, 2022 10:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!