Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fave crime writer/fiction of all time?

To my mind, Raymond Chandler is unsurpassable. The Long Goodbye should belong in the canon.

by Anonymousreply 31September 2, 2022 11:39 PM

Chandler is definitely better than Hammett, and Hammett had been my favorite. I also like Ross MacDonald and Elmore Leonard.

by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2022 3:22 PM

Ross MacDonald.

by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2022 3:28 PM

I’d also say Chandler but JamesM. Cain is no slouch.

Among the modern writers, James Ellroy is impressive but his world is way too disturbing for me.

by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2022 3:31 PM

I really like Hammett’s work but he’s got such an extreme stripped down Hemingwayesque style that it’s like reading play scripts or screenplays rather than novels.

by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2022 3:35 PM

I like Michael Connelly, author of the Harry Bosch and Lincoln Lawyer series of detective novels (and subsequent TV series on Amazon Prime and Netflix).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 18, 2022 4:44 PM

Are we leaving classic whodunnit authors like Agatha Christie off the list?

I love Donald E. Westlake's comic crime novels (the John Dortmunder series, especially) and his very un-comical Parker crime novels written under the name of Richard Stark.

And yes, Chandler is sublime.

by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2022 7:17 PM

Elmore Leonard.

by Anonymousreply 7August 18, 2022 8:34 PM

Dorothy L. Sayers and "Gaudy Night"

by Anonymousreply 8August 18, 2022 8:36 PM

I am re-reading Arthur Conan Doyle after many years and I am delighted by how well the stories hold up. He is still the best. I’d put Raymond Chandler up there with Agatha Christie (best whodunnit’s), P.D. James (fave modern writer, good plots married with good writing and psychological insight).

by Anonymousreply 9August 18, 2022 9:47 PM

After many years of curiosity about Dorothy Sayers, I finally read Gaudy Night last year. Though it began interestingly enough, giving a vivid portrait of women at Oxford in the 1920s, the murder and general mischief seemed contrived and unconvincing. Far too many female academics, professors, alumni and students to keep straight. By the time the murderer was revealed, I couldn't have cared less. And Peter Wimsey seemed like a big poofter.

r8, what did you like about it?

by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2022 9:56 PM

Ruth Rendell, but she just recently had a great long thread of her own.

by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2022 9:57 PM

Dennis Lehane

by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2022 10:09 PM

James M. Cain - Double Indemnity, The Postman Always Rings Twice

by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2022 1:16 AM

The books are better than the movies and have totally different endings.

by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2022 1:17 AM

R10 - wish I could remember, read it 25 years ago. I just remember that I really liked it - I was fresh from "Brideshead Revisited" at the time and loved any and everything Oxford.

by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2022 1:43 AM

James Ellroy. Although the plots are extremely complicated, and the racist language of the characters likely upsets people.

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2022 1:45 AM

The original Inspector Morse mysteries by Colin Watson are brilliant writing.

by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2022 3:10 AM

Arthur Conan Doyle

by Anonymousreply 18August 19, 2022 3:14 AM

Ross Macdonald is my very favorite, with Chandler second. I also very much like Chester Himes and Patricia Highsmith.

Among the Brits, I love Colin Watson, Ruth Rendell/Barbara Vine, and PD James.

by Anonymousreply 19August 19, 2022 3:16 AM

Please add Julian Symons and Reginald Hill to r19's list of the Brit greats.

by Anonymousreply 20August 19, 2022 3:27 AM

Mo Hayder and her Jack Caffery series

by Anonymousreply 21August 19, 2022 3:29 AM

Jim Thompson for gritty, pulp fiction. Plus such good old timey dialogue, like in The Grifters: "He was so crooked he could eat soup with a corkscrew."

by Anonymousreply 22August 21, 2022 12:02 AM

[quote]After many years of curiosity about Dorothy Sayers, I finally read Gaudy Night last year.

That's like jumping into the deep end before you know how to swim R10. I would never recommend reading [italic]Gaudy Night[/italic] as an introduction to Sayers. Much better choices would be [italic]Strong Poison[/italic] (the first with Harriet Vane), [italic]Murder Must Advertise[/italic], or [italic]Have His Carcase[/italic] (a favorite of mine).

My favorite crime writers: Chandler, Ross Macdonald, Rex Stout, James Lee Burke, Patricia Highsmith, and P.D. James. Christie is really in a class by herself.

by Anonymousreply 23August 21, 2022 12:24 AM

Josephine Tey is also in a class by herself. Only 8 mystery/crime novels, none of them traditional, each brilliant. In 1990, the British Crime Writers' Association voted "The Daughter Of Time" as "the greatest crime novel of all time". I love them all.

by Anonymousreply 24August 21, 2022 12:32 AM

Tom Hillerman - The Dark Wind was made into a pretty good series on AMC.

by Anonymousreply 25August 21, 2022 12:50 AM

^ Tony Hillerman.

by Anonymousreply 26August 22, 2022 4:33 PM

Reading Daughter of Time is like watching Rear Window.

by Anonymousreply 27August 22, 2022 4:37 PM

Edmund Crispin's detective Gervase Fen is an English prof who'd rather be a detective. Christianne Brand's novels are braintwisters. Both authors were British and outstanding.

by Anonymousreply 28September 2, 2022 11:26 PM

Dorothy Sayers. I currently like Kate Atkinson.

by Anonymousreply 29September 2, 2022 11:27 PM

Denise Mina

by Anonymousreply 30September 2, 2022 11:28 PM

I haven't read any of his most recent stuff but based on his early work, James Ellroy is a master. Like r3 says, his work is very dark and disturbing because he's lived it. What makes him so interesting is that his writing seems to be an act of somehow repetitively, symbolically solving his mother's murder. His own history is in "My Dark Places." He was a child when his mother was murdered after a night out. The killer was never caught. Ellroy went to live with his father and began a long, downward spiral of his own. Highly recommend the book.

by Anonymousreply 31September 2, 2022 11:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!