Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do You Still Use Paper Greeting Cards?

Only have to buy paper greeting cards several times per year, mostly birthday cards for mother and other older female family members. They like receiving them and get bent out of shape if one sends digital.

Was amazed that one not so huge birthday card (Papyrus) cost nearly $9. With tax total came to just under $10. That seems like a lot. You'd think with market for paper carts/stationary declining prices would be lower.

by Anonymousreply 44August 23, 2022 1:37 AM

Maybe this is just a reflection of the state of the world, but few things make my day like receiving a greeting card in the mail with a handwritten message inside. And I try to send out as many as I can, for this reason. I've also gotten into the habit of sending holiday cards at Christmas.

Ecards ... just not the same, no matter how much thought goes into them.

Also, OP, I bought a birthday card for my cousin the other day. Hallmark ... only $2.

by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2022 8:14 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2022 8:49 PM

I find cards a bit too effeminate, but I do write notes on Crane stationery. (The good stuff, from before they started stamping a logo on everything for the plebs)

by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2022 8:58 PM

OP? Try Dollar Tree for inexpensive brand name greeting cards.

And yes, I buy some cards. My bff just turned 70 -- that's a milestone! -- and I got her a birthday card.

Some people and occasions just deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2022 9:00 PM

I haven't sent an ecard since the 90s. I buy cards to attach to gifts, and mail cards to my parents for birthdays, holidays, etc.

by Anonymousreply 5August 18, 2022 9:05 PM

However, my elderly father absolutely loves elaboraTe e-cards, with animated butterflies flying out of baskets in an English meadow or some shit. He goes crazy over them.

I refuse to send them, but do concede to give him regular cards for occasions. He leaves them up at his house for a bit, then gives them back to me to save. He gives me all the other cards people send him as well, and I’m forbidden from throwing them away, so I keep them in my storage unit.

But he likes the flying butterflies way more 🤷🏻‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2022 9:08 PM

I like to get cards. I will sit and reread them a million times while crying.

by Anonymousreply 7August 18, 2022 9:13 PM

I use actual cards and notes in situations where demonstrating thoughfulness and putting in effort actually matter.

by Anonymousreply 8August 18, 2022 9:13 PM

I got in the e-card habit during pandemica. I don’t have to send any until next year. Not sure what I’ll do. I’ve never been a card person and they’re so expensive now.

by Anonymousreply 9August 18, 2022 9:18 PM

Shutterfly has sales every couple of months where you can make a dozen cards or so and just pay shipping, and I've done it so many times now that I have an enormous box of blank cards with images I have chosen for the fronts - it's gotten me into sending cards for everything. I bought several packs of Forever Stamps at the start of the pandemic and I'm all set for awhile

by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2022 9:22 PM

Yes, the females in my family are into cards too. I get mine at 99 cents only.

by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2022 9:25 PM

Only for old people's birthdays because I know it means something to them.

by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2022 9:26 PM

I like making personalized art-cards for friends and family. I paint or embroider the recipients’ favorite flowers, images from inside jokes and memories. They’re like cards+ presents.

by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2022 9:31 PM

My hag enjoys it when I send her a folded piece of paper with stick figures and speech balloons of our antics.

by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2022 9:34 PM

^ so I do it once a year

by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2022 9:35 PM

You should ask friends and family to write their greetings on a separate piece of paper placed inside the card, that way you can reuse the card. Another idea is to use craft paper that you cut out and glue over the writing on the card, but that one's kind of tricky...if you're not creative about it, well it could look tacky.

by Anonymousreply 16August 18, 2022 9:56 PM

YES!! I'm buying birthday cards for friends this weekend!!

by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2022 10:09 PM

I can't believe you people are obsessing about the cost of greeting cards. They're literally $1 at the dollar store. They're not the most stylish or creative cards, but they get the job done.

by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2022 10:25 PM

At Christmas, to maybe 20 people. And for birthdays in the immediate family.

by Anonymousreply 19August 18, 2022 10:32 PM

Yeah, nice cards are expensive nowadays. If I care enough to send a card, I'm gonna pick the nicest one I can find.

I do end up writing condolence cards a lot. Some of those cards are wack ("God' will is mysterious," etc.).

I had some really nice Crane note cards & envelopes. The inside of the envelope flap was some type of beautiful red pattern with a bit of gold in it, maybe paisley.

by Anonymousreply 20August 18, 2022 10:37 PM

The Spanish cards are always on clearance. Sometimes the Mahogany ones too you cheap fuks

by Anonymousreply 21August 18, 2022 10:39 PM

Feliz Navidad, bitches

by Anonymousreply 22August 18, 2022 10:40 PM

Boomers love cards. I mean LOVE.

- The My Elderly Father Troll

by Anonymousreply 23August 18, 2022 10:40 PM

r20 I've been looking for some elegant holiday cards. It turns out Crane has a great selection.

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 24August 18, 2022 10:50 PM

The frauen go apeshit for those elaborate pop up cards.

I know this from my hag. Then I found out they’re $20 or something crazy!

by Anonymousreply 25August 18, 2022 10:57 PM

R16 I hope to hell that was a joke. You never know with the cheap bitches on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 26August 18, 2022 11:13 PM

If it keeps them from scrap-booking, I'm all for it.

by Anonymousreply 27August 18, 2022 11:16 PM

I agree that good cards have become ridiculously overpriced. During the lockdown, I realized I needed to find another way to buy cards. So I now mostly use two options: American Greetings (website; subscription) lets you customize and print out your own cards and envelopes. (You have to buy the blank cards/envelopes, of course.)

And GreetingCardUniverse sells individual or bulk cards that you can also customize (but they print them.) You can have them delivered to you in case you want to write on them or enclose something, or you can have them sent directly to the recipient for just the cost of the postage. They have tons of LGBT content (although most of it is pretty bad.)

by Anonymousreply 28August 19, 2022 1:58 AM

I send my nieces and nephews some birthday cash in dollar store cards. I include a SASE containing a blank thank you note.

by Anonymousreply 29August 19, 2022 2:00 AM

Another good trick for holiday cards - I buy several boxes of MoMA's Christmas cards after Christmas when they're on sale for 10-12 bucks a box, which is about a dollar a card (they're twice that the rest of the time). And then I just store them away for the next year. They have really elaborate pop-up cards that everybody I send to seems to enjoy and appreciate, especially the people with kids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 19, 2022 2:06 AM

Most companies have given up on sending holiday cards, too, which seems to be tacky cheap.

by Anonymousreply 31August 19, 2022 2:11 AM

Fucking hell, you grannies are old - and I'm 60.

by Anonymousreply 32August 19, 2022 2:16 AM

Dollar stores have a few with decent designs, actually. They used to be two for a dollar and I’d stock up. I’d also get card stock and make them.

by Anonymousreply 33August 19, 2022 2:20 AM

I think the greeting card companies have priced themselves out of business. I also find the writing inside to be a bit nauseating and a turn off. I only give my mother a birthday card. I did also send an old friend battling cancer a card this week.

by Anonymousreply 34August 19, 2022 2:37 AM

What are those?

by Anonymousreply 35August 19, 2022 2:38 AM

I'm a bit of a card snob, but they're expensive so I buy a set of blank, all occasion ones complete with envelopes from Walmart. They're branded cards (ex. Hallmark) and work out to about a dollar a piece. They come in a box of a dozen with 3 or 4 different art themes. I love the animal themed ones.

by Anonymousreply 36August 19, 2022 2:43 AM

R29, the SASE thank yous is priceless. You're my kind of guy.

by Anonymousreply 37August 19, 2022 2:46 AM

I saved all of the ones my mother sent me over the years, because I knew the day would come when I wouldn't get a card for every holiday. Oh, how I miss new ones in the mailbox.

by Anonymousreply 38August 19, 2022 2:48 AM

As a child I loved taping Christmas cards all around the doorway between the living room and kitchen. That was back when my family would receive and send a hundred or so. Now I mail out about 20. I found a nice sealed box at Salvation Army for 2 bucks. Now I'm all set for this year but I'd give anything to have more family alive to send cards to...

by Anonymousreply 39August 19, 2022 3:00 AM

The best kept secret in town is that Hallmark cards are two for a dollar at the Dollar Tree, plus they have other ones at a dollar apiece, and an extensive selection of thank you cards and other prepackaged notecards.

by Anonymousreply 40August 19, 2022 3:02 AM

I like to add glitter and confetti in with the cards I send.

by Anonymousreply 41August 19, 2022 3:15 AM

I like sending nates in class while lunching.

by Anonymousreply 42August 19, 2022 8:02 AM

Would you please send me Season 1 Nate Fisher, please, R42. Thanks in advance!

by Anonymousreply 43August 19, 2022 8:06 AM

Hi!!!

by Anonymousreply 44August 23, 2022 1:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!