Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

R&B Star Tevin Campbell Opens Up About His Life and Sexuality: 'I've Embraced Me'

The man who famously posed the question, "Can we talk for a minute?" is now opening up like never before.

Beloved R&B singer Tevin Campbell, known for sultry '90s hits like "Can We Talk" and "I'm Ready," recently appeared on the PEOPLE Every Day podcast for an in-depth interview, discussing his life and career and revealing for the first time what his personal experience has been as a gay man in the music industry.

"I refer to myself as a former child star because that's just what I am," says Campbell, 45, of his musical past. Discovered by famed talent manager Benny Medina at age 12, the Waxahachie, Texas, native was thrust onto the music scene a year later by mentor Quincy Jones — and instantly dubbed "the next Michael Jackson" for his smooth, savant-like vocals and impressive range.

The comparison was a "big compliment" that came with a lot of pressure, says Campbell. "I just kind of wanted to be me, you know?" Instead, he was packaged as a young, heterosexual heartthrob.

Signed to Warner Brothers Music, he released his debut album T.E.V.I.N. in 1991 and followed it up with I'm Ready in 1993, both to huge success. Campbell admits, "I don't think the sex symbol thing worked, but the love songs last."

For instance, "Can We Talk," a song that was almost given to Usher, his contemporary at the time, earned Campbell a Grammy nomination and has seen a resurgence in recent years thanks to a popular TikTok singing challenge. "I had no idea at the time, like when I was 15 or 16 recording this song that it would have that impact," says Campbell. "I was just a kid singing in the studio."

Coming of age in the heteronormative space of R&B at that time, "I didn't hide anything about me. I didn't try to act a certain way or anything," says Campbell. But also, he notes of that era in the industry, "You just couldn't be [gay] back then."

Partly due to changes at the record label, Campbell and his music got put on the back burner after his third album, released in 1996, didn't perform well. Around the same time, his personal journey began.

"When I came out to my family and friends [at] about 19 or 20, that was it for me. And then I went on the road of discovering myself. I didn't know who I was," says Campbell, who stepped away from the music industry and credits much of his growth to the six years he spent performing in the Broadway musical Hairspray beginning in 2004.

"Being around people who were like me, LGBTQ+ people that were living normal lives and had partners. I had never seen that," he says. "That was a great time in my life."

Despite years of speculation, Campbell has largely kept his private life private. Earlier this year, he responded to a Twitter user's question about famous singers who are rumored to be gay. He simply tweeted "Tevin is…" adding a rainbow emoji.

"It was a casual thing for me," Campbell says of what many took as a coming out statement. In truth, he adds, "I love my fans, but what they think about my sexuality is of no importance to me."

Asked his thoughts on the recent success of young, queer Black stars like Frank Ocean and Lil Nas X who've opened up to fans, "It wasn't like that in the '90s," he says with laugh. "But I'm glad I get to see it. I'm glad that's changing. There are a lot of kids, especially young Black boys that need to see representation."

He adds, "They're not being taught to love themselves because of who they are."

For Campbell — who has new music in the works, recently performed at the National Museum of African American Music in Nashville and took home this year's R&B icon award at the Black Music Honors — loving himself is his greatest accomplishment.

"What makes me happiest right now is how far I've come in life," he says, "You know, there are a lot of child stars that don't make it. But a lot of us do… and the fact that I've embraced me."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144November 18, 2022 3:08 PM

That boy could sing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2022 6:08 AM

I love Tevin Campbell's music.

In my opinion he's a much better singer (and much better looking) than Lil Naz X or whatever his name is.

What a shame that Tevin couldn't just be himself when he was younger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2022 6:13 AM

Should someone send this to Shawn Mendes?

by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2022 6:28 AM

It took him 45 years to embrace himself???? Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2022 6:39 AM

I’m really happy for him.

by Anonymousreply 5August 18, 2022 7:20 AM

This faggy bottom was fooling no one but himself.

by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2022 7:23 AM

He's another in a long line of celebrities who thinks that no one can see with their own eyes that he is gay and that no one will know unless he announces it. It's not "speculation" when the public is certain of it.

by Anonymousreply 7August 18, 2022 7:52 AM

I don't know why people don't mention Round and Round when they reference his songs. That's the only song of his I ever listened to, or was even aware of. I've tried to live my life by these words:

Can you tell me when we going to get to it?

Tired of fooling around, I want to do it.

I learned my lesson young, that if you want to have fun,

Go for it.

And when you win, say, "I knew it."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 18, 2022 8:00 AM

R4

You have to understand the American black community to see why Tevin Campbell couldn't (or wouldn't) come out earlier.

Yes, anyone who bothered to watch would have known or strongly suspected Tevin Campbell was gay from start. But acknowledging that fact even in 1990's would have certainly killed off whatever career Mr. Campbell was going to have.

Even the king of R&B Mr. Luther Vandross never, ever formally came out. He was older than Tevin Campbell with a more established and successful career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 18, 2022 8:02 AM

Truly talented bitch. I'm happy for him!

by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2022 8:29 AM

I'm really happy for Tevin too. Life is too short to not embrace who you really are. Gawd, I swear his voice is the voice of a generation. Just like Ronnie Specter's voice conjures the mood of the 60s for Baby Boomers, Tevin's voice instantly transports me back to my 90s youth.

by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2022 9:04 AM

We knew way back then that he’s a homo. It was SO obvious.

by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2022 9:16 AM

Nothing wrong with being obvious.

by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2022 9:30 AM

People rightly think that vocally, he's the closest we've ever had of a male version of Whitney Houston.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2022 9:41 AM

Tevin Campbell attended recent roller skating event here in NYC given by Alicia Keys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2022 10:29 AM

Today's climate of "inclusion" and "equality" though not universally embraced still bodes well for Tevin Campbell. His voice is in great shape, and he's "not dead yet" as saying goes.

R&B isn't what it was back in day, but still has a pretty good market. TC hasn't released an album in ages, so will be interesting to see where things go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 18, 2022 10:34 AM

Wow, what a beautiful voice he has R14.

Thanks for sharing that song!

by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2022 10:52 AM

Aw, he was an adorable young gayling.

And let me just say that the studio was ready to ignite in flames with both of them!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2022 10:58 AM

Almost 30 years after the interview at R18, he still seems like a very nice guy.

He really needs to start putting out some new music. I'd love to hear it.

by Anonymousreply 19August 18, 2022 11:06 AM

Whoops, forgot the link for R19.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 18, 2022 11:06 AM

The man can really sing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 18, 2022 11:31 AM

Did he ever suck off Luther?

by Anonymousreply 22August 18, 2022 11:32 AM

In his big year, '93-94, he was probably the most handsome guy in music. Loved his look in this video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 18, 2022 11:38 AM

r16 Painted nails = bottom

by Anonymousreply 24August 18, 2022 11:42 AM

Tevin has a such a fantastic voice. I always thought this one should have got more attention.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 18, 2022 12:13 PM

Tevin did some great "feel good" 90s R&B music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 18, 2022 12:16 PM

Didn't he expose himself in a school zone back in the day?

by Anonymousreply 27August 18, 2022 12:19 PM

[quote] Didn't he expose himself in a school zone back in the day?

No way, R27.

Bottoms don't "expose" themselves. Only tops do that.

by Anonymousreply 28August 18, 2022 12:23 PM

There was some park bathroom shenanigins incident with him in the early 2000s.

by Anonymousreply 29August 18, 2022 12:25 PM

r29 Is that so wrong?

by Anonymousreply 30August 18, 2022 1:05 PM

R27

Tevin Campbell was arrested for pot possession and solicitation of a LE officer (for oral sex IIRC).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 18, 2022 1:26 PM

This pretty much sums things up.

You'd have to be living under a rock not to know Trevin Campbell was gay. Indeed in a way slowly as he grew from fresh baby faced teen into a young black man he seemingly didn't try to hide it (much).

Like Jermaine Stewart, Tevin Campbell was rocking a bob (braids), and perhaps wasn't as tight with black male R&B singer image as some would like. So tongues began to wag way they often do in many areas of the African American community, entertainment included.

Not helping matter is as with so many black singers Tevin Campbell grew up in church (Baptist), and the mother early on was his manager.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 18, 2022 1:35 PM

R2

Uh, the two shouldn’t be compared. They’re completely different genres.

And unlike Tevin, Montero is actually out during his fame.

by Anonymousreply 33August 18, 2022 1:42 PM

She could light a cigarette without a match.

by Anonymousreply 34August 18, 2022 1:46 PM

[quote] Tevin Campbell was arrested for pot possession and solicitation of a LE officer (for oral sex IIRC).

Wait, was he the suckER or the suckEE?

by Anonymousreply 35August 18, 2022 7:39 PM

He has said that he loves giving blowjobs.

by Anonymousreply 36August 18, 2022 8:24 PM

I wish him well. He needs to get in on doing a duet of some sort ASAP and use that as a springboard for an EP. That man can fucking well sing. He's the real deal. No pro tools or any of that needed. His voice change with his puberty was effortless.

I'm very close in age to him. He was the cutie pie who just naturally sang just ever so well. Pinged to the Heavens even as a child and the p.r. would be that he was shy and came up in church and is close with his mother and blah blah blah. Nah! He's just someone who always knew that he was gay and that's innocent.

I hope we all hear more from him soon. Hell. Have him duet with Frank Ocean and have 'Lil Nas X rap the hook and just be done with it. I dunno.

by Anonymousreply 37August 18, 2022 9:05 PM

[quote] He has said that he loves giving blowjobs.

We all do, honey.

Do better than park restrooms.

by Anonymousreply 38August 18, 2022 9:49 PM

WAS

SHE

EVER

IN?

by Anonymousreply 39August 18, 2022 11:01 PM

How did he wind up appearing in the Prince movie Graffiti Bridge?

by Anonymousreply 40August 18, 2022 11:08 PM

Can We Talk is one of my favorite songs. I knew he was gay but I'm glad he's making it official

by Anonymousreply 41August 19, 2022 1:43 AM

Maybe he needs to take little Davey Archuleta under his wing.

by Anonymousreply 42August 19, 2022 1:59 AM

Wow, he looks really skinny at R20.

by Anonymousreply 43August 19, 2022 3:13 AM

TC isn't getting any younger. He needs to team with a good producer, other recording artists or whatever and put out new material.

"Can We Talk" almost went to Usher, but Baby Face stuck to his guns in support of Tevin Campbell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 19, 2022 10:41 AM

I was madly in love (and lust) with my straight best friend in high school, who happened to be black. “I’m Ready” was a song that captured my pining, and I remember playing it a lot as I pined away to no end. The R&B song evoked all the feelings in this tortured little white boy who suspected Tevin might play for his team, but the best friend? Not a chance.

by Anonymousreply 45August 19, 2022 11:32 AM

R44 very interesting - I hadn't known that. Usher isn't a fraction of the vocalist that Tevin is so that was clearly the right call. And R43 he's always been a string bean even as a kid!

by Anonymousreply 46August 19, 2022 6:38 PM

At least he's open. It's never too late to come out. I took Queen Latifah too damn long too. I think Whitney if still alive would finally be out too.

by Anonymousreply 47August 19, 2022 6:49 PM

Queen Latifah was another one everyone knew, but *you* gay person.

She only came out last year and at this stage of her life and professional career acknowledging what long has been spoken about won't harm her career.

99.9% of time with actors, entertainers and others in similar careers that is really what it all comes down to; a perception (real or imagined) that coming out will harm their professional careers.

For male actors especially even in this age of "equality" and "inclusion" many just are not willing to take that risk.

by Anonymousreply 48August 20, 2022 8:17 AM

I love TC, so incredibly talented. Its sad that singers like him would have few career prospects today.

And he is no different than most LGBT black celebs in his age group, they usually have been out to family and friends for a long time but just rarely address the public

Now I will say I think he should spill tea on celebrity guys who tried to get his pants back in the day lol. He was adorable

by Anonymousreply 49August 20, 2022 8:55 AM

This was his only decent song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 20, 2022 9:00 AM

Everyone back in the day knew this when he ran off to B-way.

Duh.

by Anonymousreply 51August 20, 2022 9:14 AM

She was flaming, and having a name like "Tevin" didnt help. There are queens and then there are black queens. she should have produced a broadway version of Paris is Burning. She would be a natural Pepper LaBeija.

by Anonymousreply 52August 20, 2022 3:21 PM

I forgot abut I 2 I! I loved A Goofy Movie. At the time, I was certain Prince had something to do with that song. Tevin had just worked with Prince, and Rosie Gaines (co-vocalist on I 2 I) had been a featured member in Prince's New Power Generation band. Also, the song has some similar chordal moments to his song Lovesexy, and the beat of I 2 I sounds like a sped up version of the beat to Prince's song High, which was released a few years later. AND, the song was recorded at Prince's Paisley Park Studios, and mixed and produced by long-time associate David Z. AND someone called Paisley Pappe is credited as a musical director. Come on...it's gotta be Prince.

by Anonymousreply 53August 20, 2022 3:22 PM

Of course, LSA is alternating between "We been knew" and "He was molested!" comments.

by Anonymousreply 54August 20, 2022 3:23 PM

His hole is all stretched out.

by Anonymousreply 55August 20, 2022 3:33 PM

[Quote] I think Whitney if still alive would finally be out too.

If Robyn Crawford is to believed, Whitney gave Robyn a bible to signify the end of their physical relationship... Whitney would never have come to terms with herself. She had the time. She had the space. She didn' take it.

by Anonymousreply 56August 20, 2022 3:38 PM

People also need to stop acting like he's coming out, he acknowledged he's gay already. He responded to Jaguar Wright a couple of years ago when she said he used to prostitute himself to pay bills. And TBH if he did this shit today no one would care. sleeping with men for money is glorified

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 20, 2022 3:42 PM

Whore.

by Anonymousreply 58August 20, 2022 3:54 PM

Funny, I was wondering how she paid the bills.

by Anonymousreply 59August 20, 2022 4:02 PM

Good for him - finally. I know everyone says "everyone already knew" but I still think it's a big deal when someone formally and openly acknowledges it. First, there's always stragglers who somehow really don't "know." Second, the silent "everyone already knows" never really tests "everyone's" tolerance and acceptance. Plenty of gay people are treated differently by people around them who "knew" but never really had to deal with it. And, "everyone knows" isn't always great comfort to the gay person - plenty are still scared and miserable even knowing that everyone knows and in theory coming out wouldn't be that big of a deal. Yeah, I overthought this.

by Anonymousreply 60August 20, 2022 4:59 PM

He looks like he lived the party lifestyle pretty extensively.

by Anonymousreply 61August 20, 2022 9:03 PM

[quote]Tevin Campbell Opens Up

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 62August 20, 2022 9:04 PM

He's so thin.

by Anonymousreply 63August 20, 2022 9:12 PM

he looks good!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64August 20, 2022 9:26 PM

Maybe he's had a little filler since this pic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65August 20, 2022 9:28 PM

He looks like he’s got the aids. Too skinny.

by Anonymousreply 66August 20, 2022 9:34 PM

I've embraced me too, but only in parts.

by Anonymousreply 67August 20, 2022 9:36 PM

I'm embracing one part right now.

by Anonymousreply 68August 20, 2022 9:38 PM

He’s a ho.

by Anonymousreply 69August 20, 2022 9:51 PM

He *was* a ho. No longer a ho.

by Anonymousreply 70August 20, 2022 9:55 PM

He's a john, now?

by Anonymousreply 71August 20, 2022 9:57 PM

Some of you bottoms are really nasty to the man you perceive as bottim. Free your minds, girlies, it is 2022.

And as for selling his body, the big macho warrior black icon Malcolm X was allegedly selling his body as youth.

by Anonymousreply 72August 20, 2022 10:12 PM

[Quote] Free your minds

And the prolapse will follow.

by Anonymousreply 73August 20, 2022 10:14 PM

[Quote] And as for selling his body, the big macho warrior black icon Malcolm X was allegedly selling his body as youth.

Oh, no. The White Canadian who masquerades as the AWF Troll is out again. Nurse!

by Anonymousreply 74August 20, 2022 10:14 PM

yep r44 Babyface was key to Tevin's success. TC reminds me of Cece Peniston and couple of other insanely talented vocalists whose careers cooled off in the mid/late 90s despite that time period being the peak of R&B.

They should've just given TC songs written for female artists and changed up the lyrics. He could've made anything sound good and he is believable singing big heartbreak ballads. I think R.Kelly would've understood him as well, like he did with Maxwell.

I always loved this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75August 20, 2022 10:44 PM

Peniston was not made for the music video age...

by Anonymousreply 76August 20, 2022 11:04 PM

Maxwell is perceived as sexy. Tevin would have done better if he was a contemporary of Luther Vandross and Freddie Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 77August 20, 2022 11:04 PM

r77, which is why I think he should've stuck with mostly ballads

by Anonymousreply 78August 20, 2022 11:10 PM

Yeah, but who in that era had a career Tevin could have had? The fact that you suggest "female" songs with a pronoun change shows that he was difficult to position. Maybe Tevin would have stood a chance if he was a writer-producer like Luther.

by Anonymousreply 79August 20, 2022 11:18 PM

And produced by Prince, no less, R8. Still a banger. Rest in Power.

by Anonymousreply 80August 20, 2022 11:40 PM

He was sanging even as a little shorty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81August 20, 2022 11:42 PM

[quote]Yeah, but who in that era had a career Tevin could have had?

Usher r79, but a different version. Think of Mary J. Blige and Faith Evans, with TC being Faith Evans. Perhaps the Luther route would've worked, but R&B was so sexy by the mid-late 90s. I think someone like R.Kelly would've known how to write for TC and take over where Babyface left off. TC had all the talent he just needed someone to create sound and lyrics to fit into that period.

by Anonymousreply 82August 20, 2022 11:45 PM

No. Usher brought sex. And dance.

by Anonymousreply 83August 20, 2022 11:51 PM

Faith Evans had a pretty small career. And part of it was down to being a rap widow. Regardless, it's different for men and women. And as you said, sex became more important, probably due to hip hop.

by Anonymousreply 84August 20, 2022 11:53 PM

Tevin definitely could have done "I Believe I Can Fly." But Kelly was disinclined to give a hit like that away, naturally. Maybe he could have hooked up with Dallas Austin. Something in the vein of TLC's "Unpretty" could have done ok for him, and it wouldn't have needed sex to sell. He didn't have the music video appeal that TLC did, of course.

by Anonymousreply 85August 20, 2022 11:55 PM

He missed out making a mint being the "featured" bridge singer on Hip-hop/R&B tracks of which there were MANY that were hits.

I think he simply realized the bind he was in. On the one hand he didn't want to come out. On the other hand he didn't want to wholly construct a false image and narrative that would have allowed him to possibly have a better career after his peak. He always sounds like he accepts this, not that he's super bitter or anything about how his career turned out.

by Anonymousreply 86August 20, 2022 11:57 PM

But how many of those bridge singers partied with X and Y? We've just seen Mary J Blige getting turnt up with 50 Cent and Diddy. Would Tevin have had those kind of social connections when sitcoms were joking about him being "sweet"? Luther was already an Uncle by then, not a contemporary, so he coudl skate by.

by Anonymousreply 87August 20, 2022 11:59 PM

Another gem

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88August 21, 2022 12:03 AM

In a way, Stacy Lattisaw was a precursor to Tevin.

by Anonymousreply 89August 21, 2022 12:04 AM

He's old - discard.

by Anonymousreply 90August 21, 2022 12:07 AM

r85 gets it. He didn't need a ton of sexy dancing in videos. I could see Tevin singing Deborah Cox, Tamia's material, singing opposite of Keke Wyatt instead of Avant. He just didn't have enough people getting him the right songs.

TC wasn't hideous either (he wouldn't have been a male hoe if he was lol) He was a cute 20 year old in the mid 90s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91August 21, 2022 12:11 AM

He's smiling like a kid in that picture, though. At that age, the girls want smouldering.

by Anonymousreply 92August 21, 2022 12:18 AM

smoldering?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93August 21, 2022 12:24 AM

This was Justin Bieber at 20...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94August 21, 2022 12:28 AM

R94 I always thought of Bieber as being a "near miss" from being attractive - something about him always just seemed off.

by Anonymousreply 95August 21, 2022 12:43 AM

The "near miss" is that Bieber looks like a hot lez, which is not a look that appeals to most gay men.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96August 21, 2022 12:50 AM

[quote] Babyface was key to Tevin's success

Sounds like a GROOMER!

by Anonymousreply 97August 21, 2022 1:25 AM

Babyface looks like he should be groomed, ol' horseface ass.

by Anonymousreply 98August 21, 2022 1:35 AM

Jonny McGovern's podcast had an anecdote from his old twink friend, who was invited to a much married writer-producer's home, where a mentorship-with-benefits was proposed. It could only have been David Foster. Who else would be described as much married? It ain't fucking Burt Bacharach.

by Anonymousreply 99August 21, 2022 1:37 AM

Miss Tevin should have sucked for tracks. Like every other pop princess.

by Anonymousreply 100August 21, 2022 2:48 AM

Awwww, Tevin is adorable in R91's pic.

by Anonymousreply 101August 21, 2022 6:14 AM

Watch the video at R18, R101.

He was even more adorable there.

Tevin was a very poised young man, and though he says he was a "brat" back then, at least in public he seemed like a very good kid.

by Anonymousreply 102August 21, 2022 6:18 AM

R101 He looked like a WNBA player in that photo.

by Anonymousreply 103August 21, 2022 6:21 AM

I just went on another website to listen to, "Can We Talk?"

by Anonymousreply 104August 21, 2022 6:49 AM

I think she's tremendous!

by Anonymousreply 105August 21, 2022 7:24 AM

Word on the street: he got some good bussy

by Anonymousreply 106September 1, 2022 1:48 AM

Is it one of those black bussies that cream like crazy?

by Anonymousreply 107September 1, 2022 1:49 AM

✊🏽

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108September 1, 2022 1:52 AM

Oh, so he's into fisting? That's nice.

by Anonymousreply 109September 1, 2022 1:54 AM

R107 I think it makes that queef sound when you fuck it

by Anonymousreply 110September 1, 2022 2:06 AM

Miss Tevin's hole is torn up.

Girl has been riding cock since he was a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 111September 1, 2022 2:29 AM

[quote]Girl has been riding cock since he was a teenager.

Im sure got some secrets he'll take to the grave, regarding celebrity men who were smashing him back in the day

by Anonymousreply 112September 1, 2022 2:50 AM

He ugly.

by Anonymousreply 113September 1, 2022 3:38 AM

I don't think he's ugly, but he is kind of nerdy. Some people are into that though.

by Anonymousreply 114September 1, 2022 6:25 AM

He's a chain smoker if I remember correctly. Bad for your voice AND your looks.

by Anonymousreply 115September 1, 2022 1:22 PM

[quote]the recent success of young, queer Black stars like Frank Ocean and Lil Nas X

They aren't queer. They are gay. Quit trying to normalize the term "queer".

by Anonymousreply 116September 1, 2022 1:41 PM

Yes. He had a boyish, unthreatening quality. If he were white, it would probably be easier to extend his career, a la Donny Osmond, Cliff Richard etc.

by Anonymousreply 117September 1, 2022 5:24 PM

I could sweat Tevin came out years ago, but this seems to imply it's much more recent? I am confused.

by Anonymousreply 118September 1, 2022 5:36 PM

He has spoken on it before.

by Anonymousreply 119September 1, 2022 5:43 PM

That's a rough 45. She lookin' like Sherman Hemsley.

by Anonymousreply 120September 1, 2022 5:57 PM

He looks good to me.

by Anonymousreply 121September 2, 2022 1:01 AM

In the meantime Tony, Toni Toné are getting in touch with their non-binary statuses

by Anonymousreply 122September 2, 2022 1:06 AM

Seriously, R122?

Link?

by Anonymousreply 123September 2, 2022 1:07 AM

Quiet as it's kept, Raphael Saadiq is my baby daddy,

by Anonymousreply 124September 2, 2022 1:18 AM

Is he family?

by Anonymousreply 125September 2, 2022 1:19 AM

R124, are you Tevin Campbell?

by Anonymousreply 126September 2, 2022 1:22 AM

Saadiq is VERY homophobic. I don't know why; he seems like a queen in denial to me.

I also thought the lead singer from Mint Condition was gay, but apparently he's married with a kid.

by Anonymousreply 127September 2, 2022 5:16 PM

I mean, Kenny Latimore has had a couple of wives, right...?

by Anonymousreply 128September 2, 2022 5:20 PM

Right r128 and he has another kid on the way. Chante Moore alluded to his being gay on R&B Divas, a short-lived RHOA-esque reality show

by Anonymousreply 129September 2, 2022 11:40 PM

r127 I've never heard about Raphael Saadiq being a homophobe...I don't hear about him a lot, period. Did he say something crazy?

by Anonymousreply 130September 2, 2022 11:51 PM

Tevin is EXACTLY my type and I think he's adorable.

by Anonymousreply 131September 2, 2022 11:58 PM

Can you imagine the quality peen Tevin was able to enjoy back in the day?

by Anonymousreply 132September 3, 2022 11:19 AM

Yasssss r132, he was really cute and adorable plus he was pretty well connected back then. This is pre social media days too, so he could really get it in with discreet dudes. Im sure he had a lot of men taking care of him.

by Anonymousreply 133September 3, 2022 12:38 PM

Identifying with the alphabet soup garbage. Nice. What a hero to us all. Good queef.

by Anonymousreply 134September 3, 2022 12:40 PM

I listened to the I'm Ready album recently. It was so fucking good. We need to bring back that type of R&B. There's new R&B artists I like but their vocals are not up to par. I'm sick of that baby mumble voice everyone is doing. I need clear singers who can enunciate like Tevin, Peabo, Whitney, pre-drunk Mariah and Regina Belle. Also, so many R&B singers and rappers are on the downlow or had to suck off some record exec for a contract. Tevin likely had to do some stuff with Quincy Jones just like Al B. Sure (who unlike Tevin cannot sing yet Q signed him on after "winning" a talent contest, yeah). Q talks shit about everyone to deflect from his own acts.

by Anonymousreply 135November 9, 2022 1:14 AM

He actually looks good. God knows he went through a lot with the homophobic black community in the 90s including those in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 136November 9, 2022 1:33 AM

To the first few posters apparently Tevin came out in the early 2000s and was ostracized so bad, he started using crack.

by Anonymousreply 137November 9, 2022 1:35 AM

Can We Talk is one the best vocal performances ever delivered, ever. I know it's very showy with its 90s r&b stylings, but it is simply brilliant.

Thank God for Babyface too.

by Anonymousreply 138November 9, 2022 1:37 AM

R136 It's funny looking back at how flamboyant so many black singers were back in the 80s and 90s. Like Prince, Morris Day, Michael Jackson, the Debarges, Al B. Sure, etc. R&B music has always been gay and it's an open secret, Little Richard was one of the genre's pioneers. Marvin Gaye was bisexual. Everyone knows Quincy Jones, Diddy, Usher and Ne-Yo are gay or bisexual. Maxwell has been known to be gay in NYC. Babyface and Teddy Riley both ping to hell. But on the bright side many of the younger R&B stars like Destin Conrad, Asiahn, Steve Lacy, Frank Ocean, Tyler the Creator and Duran Bernarr are openly gay or bi and many younger R&B artists embrace thier gay fans. Black millennials and Z are gay-friendly.

by Anonymousreply 139November 9, 2022 1:44 AM

Not that asshole Chris Brown r139 who reportedly told a male fan "I ain't on that gay shit" before punching him in the face

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140November 10, 2022 1:10 PM

R140 Chris is crazy and a crackhead and his music has sucked for over ten years. He beat up Frank Ocean and called him a homophobic slur. Everyone coddles Chris like he's some type of baby which is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 141November 10, 2022 1:41 PM

I would pay good money to watch Teven split Shaun’s ass in two!

by Anonymousreply 142November 10, 2022 3:24 PM

I never found Chris Brown attractive and I don't get why he has so many defenders, he just always looked like an average-looking light-skinned boy to me. If he looked like Trey Songz, I'd understand the cult.

by Anonymousreply 143November 10, 2022 5:24 PM

R98 = Roseanne

by Anonymousreply 144November 18, 2022 3:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!