Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

To answer the question, TIKTOK is what is ruining our society

The lack of boundaries on this app is astonishing. It’s literally a perversion pipeline. People commenting things like “show us your grandma again!” or making suggestive comments about people who didn’t even intend to create softcore content.

I saw one video where a young man was on a weight loss journey. He was pushing a tire and had a big butt. A grown woman in her 40s does a reaction to the video, calling it out and then biting at the camera. It went viral on the app, with lots of likes. Is this what we’ve become?

by Anonymousreply 73September 21, 2022 9:05 PM

Biting at the camera?

by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2022 1:09 AM

I watch YouTube shorts, where all the good TIkTok goes to die. I do not have a real TikTok account or any of that shit. I grew up with YouTube coming to light as the premier videos service and will probably continue to have my allegiance to that shithole over the Chinese-invented shit pool that is trying to take it over. I'm in my mid-20s, too old to be a TikTok fuckboi. Boo hoo!

by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2022 1:10 AM

Don't overlook the Chinese government connections

The Chinese-owned video-sharing app TikTok could soon face new restrictions amid bipartisan concerns over how the company handles Americans' data.

Former President Donald Trump had previously tried to outright ban the app and force its sale to a U.S. corporation. Courts ruled that approach illegal, however, and President Joe Biden rolled back Trump's order soon after gaining office.

Now, Sens. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., and Mark Warner, D-VA, are leading an effort the push the Biden administration to tackle the threat more effectively, according to the New York Times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2022 1:10 AM

-the oversharing from everyone. Stressful times have promoted individuals to invest in the myth of social media stardom in hopes to escape their current situations. Ex the lot of dumb jocks who jumped on the butt-showing trends/challenges and now regret it, as their videos have been reposted casually on YouTube and gay blogs.

-plenty of kids and toddlers are being exposed to suggestive content. Yes unsupervised internet access was always a thing but on tik tok these suggestive videos land on your page, and if you give it a like the algorithm has already prepared a plethora of related content.

by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2022 1:10 AM

Oversharing is awful.

by Anonymousreply 5August 18, 2022 1:11 AM

It's good for some things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2022 1:24 AM

Who cares about some straight dude^.

by Anonymousreply 7August 18, 2022 1:26 AM

R6 In 10 years that gorgeous man will gain 50 lbs ,lose his hair and cry every night over what was.

by Anonymousreply 8August 18, 2022 1:28 AM

R6 is so hot! More!

by Anonymousreply 9August 18, 2022 1:32 AM

So many hot dudes with big asses

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2022 1:33 AM

R8, your story is very sad, especially when projecting on to others.

by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2022 1:36 AM

I fell in love with somebody who doesn’t even know my name….

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2022 7:36 AM

[quote]Is this what we’ve become?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2022 7:37 AM

[Quote]TIKTOK is what is ruining our society

Ah, no. It's the people who are doing that.

by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2022 7:50 AM

OP I don‘t have TikTok, but could you share the video of that guy on a weight loss journey, the one with the big butt?

by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2022 7:51 AM

A lot of the kids on Tiktok make sexually explicit videos. It's really the worst social media platform, and that's saying a lot.

by Anonymousreply 16August 18, 2022 8:25 AM

TikTok was made for people who didn't have enough of an attention span for Youtube or Instagram. How scary is that

by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2022 8:29 AM

I read this book last year, and it is a true eye-opener.

The author explains in simple, understandable language how the internet of the past 10-15 years have rewired parts of our brains. We are no longer able to create/connect "schemas" inside our heads, resulting in less original, less creative, and less critical thought. Also fewer breakthroughs and aha!-moments.

In other words, exactly what you are seeing all around you these days: A lack of originality and critical (not woke) thinking.

Highly recommended.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2022 8:38 AM

It's a good dividing line for judging which millennials have matured versus which ones are in arrested development.

by Anonymousreply 19August 18, 2022 8:42 AM

R19 the only caveat with your line of logic is that you won't see those who have matured on those apps.

by Anonymousreply 20August 18, 2022 8:46 AM

This tackiness has been a feature of the internet for years. TikTok sucks but it didn't cause it.

by Anonymousreply 21August 18, 2022 8:46 AM

So many bro asses

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 18, 2022 8:51 AM

Nope OP.

It's facebook.

TikTok is frivolous nonsense.. Facebook, as a platform, is being used to tear down the U.S.A. while scaring dupeable-bigoted middle-age to elderly people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 18, 2022 9:45 AM

OP, I am embarrassed for you.

by Anonymousreply 24August 18, 2022 9:54 AM

[R3] "Former President Donald Trump had previously tried to outright ban the app and force its sale to a U.S. corporation."

Since you're quoting Faux "News": they conveniently forget to mention when Trump tried to ban the app. It happened after K-Pop fans organized on TikTok to order tickets for his rallies and that resulted in empty seats.

by Anonymousreply 25August 18, 2022 10:02 AM

After I saw the tik tok video at 8:35 I stopped using the app

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 18, 2022 10:07 AM

You no rike Chinese apps? We show you who boss. China no asshoe! China apps A numbah 1 quaritee!

by Anonymousreply 27August 18, 2022 10:14 AM

When was the last time an average Joe shot to fame on IG like the guy singing Fleetwood Mac on TikTok?

Well, it actually never happened on IG, never!

When was the last time a celebrity taking TikTok by storm like Jennifer Aniston's debut on IG?

It never happened either, many celebrities have joined TikTok but they didn't really made a huge splash, they just don't.

This is the difference between TikTok and IG or other social media, TikTok is the only app that gives ordinary people a chance to shine, Instagram only benefits the rich and famous, the filthy rich Kardashians are not rich enough, Jennifer Aniston needs followers and she needs them fast, IG want us to help them to take over the universe!

No, thank you! I will keep watching TikTok to help another Joe get a free truck for his 15 seconds fame, a struggle musician to get his first record deal, or a good looking guy with a dead end job to make some nice money on onlyfans! 😛

TikTok helps to redistribute the wealth, even just a little bit redistribution, it's better than none! For this reason alone, I will take TikTok over IG on any day or night!

by Anonymousreply 28August 18, 2022 10:59 AM

[quote] When was the last time an average Joe shot to fame on IG like the guy singing Fleetwood Mac on TikTok?

That was the stupidest and most annoying pop culture moment in a long while. Why Tik Tok is hated in a nutshell.

by Anonymousreply 29August 18, 2022 7:49 PM

That was so cool

by Anonymousreply 30August 19, 2022 1:24 AM

Normies using and populating the Internet en masse is what's ruining our Society. It was fine when it was just us weirdos.

by Anonymousreply 31August 19, 2022 10:12 PM

R31 Yep. The internet in the 90s up until the late 2000s was mostly for the introverted, the nerdy, the outcasts, the artists, gays and lesbians and others with hobbies and passions. Popular and basic people went out to parties and malls and looked down on people who were online all day. Then Facebook happened and everyone hopped on it. Smartphones took off and Instagram created a culture of spoiled rich kids and wannabe models posting about their lifestyles which begot TikTok.

by Anonymousreply 32August 19, 2022 10:24 PM

Musicians used Myspace, YouTube, Bandcamp and SoundCloud to get big. I don't know if TikTok really works for them because TikTok algorithm pushes pretty and talentless people with sexualized content pretty damn hard. There's also the controversy around TikTok not promoting people of color on the app.

Why are most TikTok influencers not talented at music, dancing, art or acting? It's still mediocrity and selling sex.

by Anonymousreply 33August 19, 2022 10:27 PM

[quote] Musicians used Myspace, YouTube, Bandcamp and SoundCloud to get big.

R33 That's not how TikTok works here, a song took off on TikTok is not from musicians themselves, it's from other people using their music for their TikTok, and their TikTok became a "trend" or a "challenge" and hit tens of millions of views and inspired millions of others to do a follow-up TikTok or a stitch version...many people would notice the song and the musician and start to download or stream it from iTune, Youtube and Spotify, that's how a song or a musician made it big and TikTok is the reason behind it.

Take the song "Friendships" by DJ Pascal Letoublon, like you mentioned, he uploaded his music to SoundCloud, Youtube and Spotify to "get big", but it didn't, it went unnoticed until someone in China used a snippet for his "city moonwalk" videos, in less than a month, it went from China to a global hit, not just that, the "moonwalk like" dance has an official new name "Friendships" dance.

There is a long list of musicians who got their big break on TikTok, Stunnin (Curtis Waters), Astronaut In The Ocean (Masked Wolf), Buss it (Erica Banks), ily (Surf Mesa), Savage Love (Jawsh 685)... And let's not forget the summer song of 2021 - "Fancy Like", if Walker Hayes didn't make a dance TikTok with his daughter, he probably still had to work at Costco from time to time.

And remember that guy skateboarding drinking ocean spray, his TikTok single-handedly sent Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" back to Billboard Top 10.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 20, 2022 12:50 PM

I have to say, the Chinese guy does the moonwalk almost perfectly well. But, like so many things copied and then over-engineered by the Chinese, it lacks soul.

MJ had it. That’s why his moonwalk took your breath away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 18, 2022 8:05 PM

R32 wrong. They looked down on internet addicts. I still do even though when I’m home I spend 5 hrs a day online non-work related

by Anonymousreply 36September 18, 2022 8:12 PM

Shall we review the previous generations stupidity vs tiktok?

We could go back centuries on trends. . . and they're all idiotic...

and all attracting the get off my lawn crowd to said trends to either protest what's being said or prove they're still hip rather than just needing to replace one.

by Anonymousreply 37September 18, 2022 8:20 PM

r28 tankies for utopia or maoism 3.11?

by Anonymousreply 38September 18, 2022 8:22 PM

We were reading until you used the word "literally." People who misuse this word are what's ruining society.

by Anonymousreply 39September 18, 2022 8:27 PM

Didn't they say the same thing about Rock n Roll back in the 1950s?

by Anonymousreply 40September 18, 2022 9:17 PM

TikTok sucks.

by Anonymousreply 41September 18, 2022 9:29 PM

R41 Fascinating contribution

by Anonymousreply 42September 18, 2022 10:04 PM

Rock and Roll wasn't a Chinese controlled industry that would be happy to see the collapse of American society. It was just uptight Americans afraid of new music. But there was no push from the other side with evil intentions.

by Anonymousreply 43September 19, 2022 12:12 AM

TikTok moves too slow.

Gen Alpha.

by Anonymousreply 44September 19, 2022 12:19 AM

[quote]And let's not forget the summer song of 2021 - "Fancy Like", if Walker Hayes didn't make a dance TikTok with his daughter, he probably still had to work at Costco from time to time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 19, 2022 12:32 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 46September 19, 2022 10:02 PM

I follow cooking and baking TikTokers, housekeepers and DIYers, I have learned so many things from them. A black girl I follow gave the most honest opinions on housekeeping, if you remodel your kitchen, raise the cupboard straight up to the ceiling with no space in between, otherwise you have to dust and wipe the top all the time. The chandeliers in the kitchen are easy on the eyes but they are nightmares to clean, unless you hire people like her to clean your kitchen, you probably want to choose the bright lighting fixtures with simple and clean lines. From a hotel maid, I leaned the bathroom light needs to be turned off when wiping the mirror, it will reduce the streak marks and she is absolutely right…I don't watch toxic content on TikTok, they never showed up in my feed, I am sure there are a lot of them, if I search I can probably find some, but why would I search for them? If your TikTok feed is filled with those awful videos, you might want to ask yourself, why those content are pushed in front of you?

It’s funny that someone mentioned black people don't get the fair treatment from TikTok, but please ask yourself, before TikTok how many ordinary black people found the spotlight on social media? How many housekeepers, hotel maids or plumbers have you followed or watched their videos? The answer is probably zero! Those people have Instagram, and YouTube, Twitter and Facebook have been there for more than a decade, why were they invisible on social media? Why no one paid any attention to them? Maybe it's because those social media are not interested in people like them, they invested in young, white and beautiful influencers jet setting, or paid Logan Paul millions of dollars to prank people on youtube, a hispanic hotel maid folding a bed sheet on Instagram? who would want to watch that?

It took a Chinese company to completely shake things up, offer the ordinary people a platform to shine and an opportunity to show off their skills, give black people and the working class a presence on the social media,, but even with their new found success on TikTok, the "establishment" still tries to sabotage them. Black TikTokers created those highly popular dance moves, but when Jimmy Fallon tried to introduce those dances to his audience, he ignored them, instead he invited a young white girl to copy their dances on his show. Can we blame this on TikTok? No, it's the racist society rotten to the core you should blame, TikTok helped those young black kids to take off, but your racist society is doing its best to suppress their success!

by Anonymousreply 47September 19, 2022 11:57 PM

R47, you make it sound like Fallon chose some unknown "young white girl" over equally unknown young black kids.

That is not true. The "young white girl" you are referring to is Addison Rae. And she is in her mid-20s and not her teens like the black kids who created the dances. She already had a massive following online. That's why she got invited on the show. Not because she was white.

And she was not invited on the show what a great dancer she is because she's not a great dancer. The "dancing" was just an opportunity to showcase her main talent which is being a hot 20-something WOMAN who is willing to smile big while jiggling around on stage. Not something appropriate for teens to be doing.

by Anonymousreply 48September 20, 2022 12:20 AM

R47, Fallon's intention was not "to introduce those dances to his audience". HIs audience is middle-aged and older. They don't care about Tik Tok dances.

He wanted to give the males in his audience some eye candy. The whole thing was to introduce Addison Rae to his audience.

by Anonymousreply 49September 20, 2022 12:29 AM

[quote] In 2020, Esperon created a dance for “WAP,” the popular song from Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion. His dance was such a hit on the short-form video platform TikTok that Cardi B tweeted out a clip of Esperon’s performance the day after it was released. But even the singer’s shoutout wasn’t enough to ensure Esperon received the same level of recognition as the dance he created... In the end, Esperon’s original video drew 99.8 million views. But when Addison Rae, a popular white content creator on TikTok, posted a video showing her performing his dance, she more than tripled that total, with 311.5 million views.

Addision Rae and other white TikTokers have been stealing the black people's creation for years!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 20, 2022 12:34 AM

R50, people watch Addison because she's hot and sexy. No one would care about her dancing if it wasn't for her looks.

She doesn't need dancing to be popular.

It was very odd to turn this into a contest of who is a better dancer when men clearly aren't interested in her due to her dance skills.

by Anonymousreply 51September 20, 2022 12:40 AM

R48 you can stop defending Jimmy Fallon or Addison Rae, this is not one person's fault or one incident of oversight, as I said this is how the racist American society works in reality, it doesn't really matter who created what, or whether you are young or old, ultimately it's your skin color that makes the most difference, American prefer WHITE people to any other races!

by Anonymousreply 52September 20, 2022 12:46 AM

R52, give examples of other nationalities that don't show a preference for seeing people who look like the majority of people who make up their country.

by Anonymousreply 53September 20, 2022 1:02 AM

Do Chinese not prefer seeing Chinese?

Do Japanese not prefer seeing Japanese?

Do Indians not prefer seeing Indians?

by Anonymousreply 54September 20, 2022 1:04 AM

R52 Yes but I think the rise of non-white immigrants is changing that. Many come from countries that have their own mass media like Pakistan, India, Egypt, Mexico, Colombia, Nigeria, Ghana, China, South Korea and etc. They raise their children on the TV and music from their origin. And historically The US was mostly white with a heavy black minority. But I think white Americans are definitely more comfortable seeing black people and Native Americans as the tokens. Black Americans prefer seeing their own and Africans and Black Brits love Black American pop culture

by Anonymousreply 55September 20, 2022 1:06 AM

wow, I see for people R54 only white people are American!

by Anonymousreply 56September 20, 2022 1:06 AM

R55 unfortunately those darkies are not white enough to be true American to people like R54, and R54 is not alone here.

by Anonymousreply 57September 20, 2022 1:09 AM

The US is a historically triracial nation. Black people have been here as long as the English and Scots Irish and American culture is a creole of British Isles, West Africa and Indigenous American cultures. All of the New World is creolized. Americans are ignorant of their history. Latino nations pride themselves on being multiracial.

by Anonymousreply 58September 20, 2022 1:15 AM

What I see on TikTok are people who think that because they are are attractive they are also talented. It ain't necessarily so.

Also, traditional media has strict child labour laws, not so with social media. Brittany Broski of all people was talking about this on a podcast. It is the wild west in terms of standards and laws and people are commodifying their kids' childhoods.

by Anonymousreply 59September 20, 2022 1:16 AM

Enjoy it while you can. It'll be gone like Tumblr soon. Social Media is a waste.

by Anonymousreply 60September 20, 2022 5:35 AM

[quote]Black people have been here as long as the English and Scots Irish and American culture is a creole of British Isles, West Africa and Indigenous American cultures. All of the New World is creolized. Americans are ignorant of their history.

You sound just as ignorant. The largest ethnic group in the US is German. The Chinese have been a part of US history since the 1800's. Weird you lump in Indigenous Americans with Africans. Native Americans have been in what is not called the US as far back as 12,000 years before the White man and his black slaves.

by Anonymousreply 61September 20, 2022 5:36 AM

R61 Most white Americans are mixed with English, Scottish and German. Most are not 100% German. Black people have been here since the 1600s. 200 years prior to the Chinese and Black people contributed just as much to the foundational culture of The US just like English, Scottish, French and Spanish as well. Chinese (and Japanese and Filipinos) were never a large majority. In fact Asians were barred from immigrating for decades until the 1960s when the largest second wave began coming in. Most Asian Americans descend from the second wave that came in the 1970s and 1980s. And you know damn Native Americans were almost exterminated just like the Aboriginals. Why are trying to derail what I said? You're not clever and trying to deny the fact that The US is a colonial nation. Colonies are land taken from others.

by Anonymousreply 62September 20, 2022 9:44 AM

r62 Yes, they were all peaceful until the fire nation came. So, we must be extra paternalistic while resisting racially uplifting these simple, never evolving, noble savages, incapable of personal agency that live one with the elements and paint with all the colours of the wind...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 21, 2022 5:48 AM

gotta love the salad bowl crowd... and their supremacy itch to claim everyone was segregated except for crackers. They were isolated and pure until just recently. REEeEEEEEEeEEEEEEeeEEE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 21, 2022 5:53 AM

This article is 2 years old.

“abnormal body shape” such as a “beer belly” or “ugly facial looks” such as “too many wrinkles.”

Maybe that's one of my videos don't get recommended to other people 😲

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65September 21, 2022 6:10 AM

The Gen X cougars fighting over William White

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66September 21, 2022 6:28 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67September 21, 2022 10:20 AM

R22 That’s not a woman ass??? Jeez.

by Anonymousreply 68September 21, 2022 10:24 AM

tik tok, America, tik tok.

by Anonymousreply 69September 21, 2022 10:32 AM

I go on TikTok (and I say that with the appropriate level of shame). I started using it so I could ogle hot Kpop guys who are half my age and watch the occasional adorable animal video. Somehow my algorithm became filled with video after video of the most divisive race related bullshit. I block over and over and it barely makes a dent. If it’s not that, it’s video after video of people recording arguments with strangers some of which have obviously been provoked. Road rage encounters. Non stop Karen vidéos. Parents who are raising their kids by sticking a camera in their face 24/7. Reaction videos about professional misogynists like Andrew Tate. People treating their pets or their kids like shit for laughs. It’s fucking stressful. You despair for the future of the country. I just want K-pop and golden retriever videos!

You gotta be careful with this app. It’s mostly an overload of negativity.

by Anonymousreply 70September 21, 2022 10:56 AM

OP consumes all this content he's complaining about, then asks why the content is even created.

Because smooth-brained idiot fucks like you watch it.

It always astonishes me how many people who complain about the culture are actively part of the culture they say is ruining the world. If you think it's ruining the world, why are you encouraging it, genius?

by Anonymousreply 71September 21, 2022 10:58 AM

[quote]I follow cooking and baking TikTokers, housekeepers and DIYers, I have learned so many things from them

I've been following Unfuck Your Habitat for years online, and the number of TikTokers who have stolen their tips is insane. On top of that, they often send their little 12yo idiot fans to UYH's social media to trash them and make death threats.

by Anonymousreply 72September 21, 2022 11:03 AM

R39 Bumped the thread and breathed new life to it. Thanks! Do it again by replying sarcastically

by Anonymousreply 73September 21, 2022 9:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!