Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let’s Be Shitty Travel Advice That Won’t Die

I’m dressing up nicely to fly. Dress the part, and you’re sure to get a free upgrade!

by Anonymousreply 67August 23, 2022 1:22 PM

These days wearing shoes is considered dressed up.

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2022 11:25 PM

OP is writing from 1962.

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2022 11:29 PM

Traveler's checks are the best way to protect your money abroad

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2022 11:32 PM

R3- You forgot to say-

NEVER leave home without them.

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2022 11:42 PM

I was always told "Dress well when you travel. If you look like you can afford a lawyer, you'll get less trouble from the assholes at the airport".

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2022 11:47 PM

I got upgraded once, but they made it conditional on me changing out of shorts (it was a flight to the Caribbean in May, so being in Bermuda shorts was not being a total slob). That was 25 years ago, but the advice that dressing well improved your odds was true at one time. Maybe not anymore. But these days Bermuda shorts would probably be considered “dressed up.”

by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2022 12:05 AM

I got upgraded a lot pre 9/11, because I dressed nice, was very hot, and polite. The free first class upgrades stopped after 9/11, but I still dress nice to travel. I have been with my partner for years, but the airport is the best place to flirt with men that you will never see again. Even straight men don’t seem to mind it, if they’re traveling and have a few drinks in them.

by Anonymousreply 7August 18, 2022 12:17 AM

I've racked up over 4 million flight miles in 21 years of traveling. Most of it international travel in business class but a lot of domestic coach travel. I realize my situation is different from people who only travel occasionally. But if you're trying to talk you're way into an upgrade, or asking an agent to help with a missed connection, you're chances are better if you're not in gym shorts and flip-flops.

by Anonymousreply 8August 18, 2022 12:18 AM

R8 But you can’t talk your way into an upgrade at the gate anymore. The airlines keep direct control over that these days, and gate agents aren’t given access to upgrade people on their own. Plus, with so many CC upgrades and status members, there’s always a list to upgrade that gets a higher priority than a walk-up, even if he’s dressed like the fucking Duke of Windsor.

by Anonymousreply 9August 18, 2022 3:00 AM

[quote] NEVER leave home without them.

DON'T.

by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2022 3:04 AM

Naples is a lovely city to visit

by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2022 3:09 AM

Take lots of extra Kodak film with you. You don't want to find out you're out of film when you still have three days left of touring.

by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2022 3:19 AM

R6 These days boxer shorts is considered dressy for flights

by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2022 3:22 AM

Contiki Tours are great for seeing Europe. 10 countries in 18 days… by bus!

by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2022 3:22 AM

Take an edible and have a few glasses of wine before departure. It will help you sleep.

by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2022 3:22 AM

Don't forget to pack your Lonely Planet and Rick Steves guidebooks

by Anonymousreply 16August 18, 2022 3:28 AM

You can’t get an STD on vacation.

by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2022 3:49 AM

Don't forget to bring your binoculars.

by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2022 3:51 AM

Those shitty "travel tips" pages are full of them. Like "Always ask for any upgrades at check-in!" So of course as front desk clerk I'd often hear that from some cheapo rando at check-in. In my hotel chain the room upgrades are for the rewards program members. So no, mister socks-and-sandals tourist, we do not have an upgrade for you.

by Anonymousreply 19August 18, 2022 3:52 AM

Watch out for pickpockets.

by Anonymousreply 20August 18, 2022 3:53 AM

When traveling to Europe make sure to bring your own toilet paper.

by Anonymousreply 21August 18, 2022 3:54 AM

[quote]So no, mister socks-and-sandals tourist, we do not have an upgrade for you.

You only work in a hotel, you know. You can drop the attitude.

by Anonymousreply 22August 18, 2022 3:59 AM

Don't forget to exchange your dollars for Lira as soon as you arrive in Rome.

by Anonymousreply 23August 18, 2022 4:01 AM

Don't hesitate to ask the stewardess for headphones to watch the motion picture on the non stop flight to Paris.

by Anonymousreply 24August 18, 2022 4:19 AM

If your little boy is traveling with you ask the stewardess for a mock up toy version of the Lockheed L1011 to give to your son.

by Anonymousreply 25August 18, 2022 4:24 AM

Don't drink the water anywhere in Europe. It's unsafe because of the mineral differences in the drinking water.

by Anonymousreply 26August 18, 2022 5:02 AM

Make sure to get the latest edition of the Spartacus Guide so you can find the local saunas and gay internet cafes.

by Anonymousreply 27August 18, 2022 6:07 AM

R11 I enjoyed Naples. R18 I actually brought mine on my last trip for whale watching but left them in the hotel room the day of the boat ride.

Anyway, I would advise people to disregard the " The French are all assholes!" line. I found them to be very polite, charming and helpful. Also packing light ( as is often advised) has usually caused me nothing but trouble. Better a little overpacked then having to run all over the place to buy something you need.

by Anonymousreply 28August 18, 2022 6:17 AM

Wear underwear under your caftan so your seat doesn't get mussed.

by Anonymousreply 29August 18, 2022 8:34 AM

Book early for a seat in the "non smoking section".

by Anonymousreply 30August 18, 2022 9:01 AM

Some of these are making me nostalgic. My parents were obsessed with travelers checks.

by Anonymousreply 31August 18, 2022 9:09 AM

Don't forget to call the airline and reconfirm your reservation a couple of days before your flight.

by Anonymousreply 32August 18, 2022 9:11 AM

I'll meet you at the gate.

by Anonymousreply 33August 18, 2022 1:53 PM

I always wear lace-up thigh-high boots like Grandma did.

I used to miss every flight but now they frisk and wand me!

by Anonymousreply 34August 18, 2022 1:55 PM

Some good travel advice from my French boss: don't eat the meat in France and possibly other parts of Europe. Apparently they don't ionize it the way it is done stateside so it has a lot more bacteria. This would explain why me and many of my American colleagues get gastrointestinal distress sometimes in France.

by Anonymousreply 35August 18, 2022 6:13 PM

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

by Anonymousreply 36August 18, 2022 6:17 PM

Americans are welcomed with open arms all over the world!

Don’t bother to learn the local language, they’ll all want to practice their English with you!

by Anonymousreply 37August 18, 2022 6:32 PM

Traveling is fun

by Anonymousreply 38August 18, 2022 7:30 PM

Riding a Greyhound is a GREAT way to see America!

by Anonymousreply 39August 18, 2022 7:36 PM

Save money by avoiding non-stop flights. You won't mind one stop or having to exit the plane and re-board. And switching your luggage is a breeze! What could go wrong.

by Anonymousreply 40August 18, 2022 7:40 PM

And further to R37, no matter where you go in the world, speak up, announce yourself as a proud American. You'll soon have a whole flock gathered at your feet enraptured in your stories: state capitol of Indiana? corn? soybeans? state fair? funnel cakes!? hotdish? and that little town right next to yours that has the best soft serve ice cream you've ever tasted? way better than that gelato stuff? That's the one, tell them all about that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 18, 2022 7:49 PM

Stand in line to board the plane first, and just stuff your bag into the first bin you see when you board the plane. That way, you won't have to lug it all the way back to your seat, or carry it all the way back out again when you land in Tampa!

by Anonymousreply 42August 18, 2022 8:41 PM

Don't forget your money belt!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 19, 2022 2:56 PM

[quote]Americans living or traveling abroad are encouraged to register with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate through the State Department’s travel registration website.

Oh and be certain to read the U.S. State Department travel advisories...you'll never leave home! (Which is all part of our plan.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 19, 2022 3:02 PM

Dress well for the plane. We had a choice of Veal Orloff or Pheasant Under Glass!

And the desserts!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 19, 2022 9:34 PM

I just want somebody to tell me what that brown stuff was that they offered with my fish ‘n’ chips in Scotland. They mumbled when I asked what it was and I said no. I wish now that I’d let them give me some.

Note: I can’t remember what they call their chips either.

It’s a marvel that Datalounge doesn’t show me the door just for lowering the tone so much but that’s the level of mystification I achieved in my international excursions and I’m posting anonymously.

by Anonymousreply 46August 19, 2022 10:19 PM

Clutching your pearls as you walk through the metal detector will prevent it from going off.

by Anonymousreply 47August 19, 2022 10:24 PM

This song lists the safety of the colors of food on airplanes and has other good advice. This and "Why do the wrong people travel?" from "Sail Away" are great songs about travel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 19, 2022 10:28 PM

R46, I'm guessing you mean a brown sauce for the chips?

It's a tomato based sauce but with some exotic colonial period seasonings: tamarind, sultanas (raisins), dates, molasses, vinegar...think hints of sweet-savory chutney if you know that. It's similar to HP Sauce, a common condiment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 19, 2022 10:30 PM

What the hell is hotdish?

by Anonymousreply 50August 19, 2022 10:53 PM

Make sure to get local currency before you go. The exchange rates are terrible at the airport!

ATMS these days offer the best conversation rates. Any major local bank in the country you're visiting will have an ATM in the airport. The easiest way to get local currency.

Yes, there are fees involved. At most they're $10ish and are made up by the better conversion rate. Unless you plan on making many withdrawals, you'll still be better off.

by Anonymousreply 51August 19, 2022 11:07 PM

If you go to this one hard-to-reach beach, make sure you return by mid-afternoon when the tide comes in.

-Read this just now on a travel website.

by Anonymousreply 52August 22, 2022 2:28 AM

I know a Flight Attendant and I know dressing up gets better service from him.

by Anonymousreply 53August 22, 2022 2:38 AM

No doubt dressing well puts flight attendants at ease: they are likely to assume that you are an old hand at flying, know what to expect, and will be a polite, easy passenger.

The old advice of "dress well and you'll get an upgrade" was old many years ago. Full planes and long lists of people who would have priority based on some flyer club status have surely diminished a lot of check-in and boarding-gate latitude of staff.

Still, when opportunity does exist the composed, smartly dressed passenger is more likely to get bumped forward than is her slovenly, loud counterpart.

My favorite ploy for cadging an upgrade was a Southern woman who would arrive breathless at the gate with a huge and kuxurious gift basket. She would explain that a friend pressed it on her just as she was leaving and she couldn't refuse because if the care that had gone into the gift. But of course she knew she couldn't carry on bottles of alcohol and chocolates and whatever..."is there any chance you or some of your colleagues night get any use from this...I just can't bear the idea of throwing all this away!" She said it worked like a charm almost without fail.

by Anonymousreply 54August 22, 2022 9:56 AM

*luxurious

by Anonymousreply 55August 22, 2022 9:57 AM

I don’t think the breathless Southern woman would get her gift basket through security these days, given the 100ml liquid rule. Maybe her gift basket has different things in it now.

by Anonymousreply 56August 22, 2022 1:20 PM

Just dress nicely, anyway. It doesn't have to be any less comfortable than wearing pajamas or workout clothing. Ties and hose aren't necessary, but at least dress as you would to work in an office. You're out in public.

by Anonymousreply 57August 22, 2022 1:27 PM

[...just stuff your bag into the first bin you see when you board the plane...] Never thought of it that way.

by Anonymousreply 58August 22, 2022 1:38 PM

R58 Do it, and you'll get your big ass kicked. Put it over your own bald head!

by Anonymousreply 59August 22, 2022 1:40 PM

Don’t eat lunch at the airport before you get on the plane ✈️ because they’ll be serving a big meal once we reach altitude.

by Anonymousreply 60August 22, 2022 1:41 PM

Not so much anymore but I used to hear constantly that you can get all sorts of meds otc in foreign countries that you can't get in the U.S. In fact it's the opposite! Mexico, Thailand, China, the UK have only paracetamol (Tylenol). Once I asked where the naproxen (Aleve) was once in a Boots in London and the clerk blushed because he had to tell me it's only prescription for menstrual cramps. WTF it's for headaches and muscle pain too. Melatonin is prescription.

Give me my drugs I'm an American in pain goddammit!

by Anonymousreply 61August 22, 2022 2:05 PM

Every country is different when it comes to meds. In Argentina you have to ask the pharmacist for everything, but they'll give you 400mg or 600mg ibuprofen without a prescription.

by Anonymousreply 62August 22, 2022 2:23 PM

^ Different but generally there is less available OTC than in the U.S. My point was do not expect foreign countries to have the same OTC meds as in America. Almost all of them will have less. Bring your own.

by Anonymousreply 63August 22, 2022 2:41 PM

Just be careful traveling with medications, and keep them in their original bottles.

A few of us saw "Brokedown Palace," and we know what can happen with a simple narcotic misunderstanding.

by Anonymousreply 64August 22, 2022 2:43 PM

In Chile, the tylenol was kept in a locked cabinet. We could buy it without a prescription, but a clerk had to unlock the cabinet.

FYI the Spanish term for Tylenol, or Acetominophen, is "Acetominophena".

by Anonymousreply 65August 23, 2022 12:59 AM

"Don't leave home without it!"

by Anonymousreply 66August 23, 2022 1:02 AM

Haha, Karl. Yes, be sure to take your AmEx card, it's the card that's the biggest pain in the ass to use outside the U.S. Almost as convenient as AmEx Travellers' Checques -- "make sure to buy them in all the wrong denominations!"

by Anonymousreply 67August 23, 2022 1:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!