Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

1970s interviews with DL patron saint Vivian Vance

... who died 43 years ago today.

I had never read these interviews before, which were published in 2019's Conversations with Legendary Television Stars: Interviews from the First Fifty Years (James Bawden & Ron Miller). She says some interesting things, including confirming the infamous "Lucille required me to be 20 lbs overweight" rumor.

Here are some highlights:

BAWDEN: When did Lucy warm to you?

VANCE: Took a while. She insisted on a clause saying I had to be twenty pounds heavier than she was and wear dowdy frocks. But, after some episodes, I showed that I knew how to make her look good and my acting experience onstage was valuable because we worked in front of a live audience

BAWDEN: Did you ever warm to Bill Frawley?

VANCE (chuckling): Never! His contract said he could not drink the day of the performance. There had to be no smell of liquor on his breath. He was an irascible curmudgeon. He’d often treat me like dirt. Guess he was a Method actor. And Bill was twenty-two years my senior and he looked it. A crusty old bachelor who lived with his sister. Completely uncollegial. Would never run lines with me. And yet the public loved us together. Go figure that out.

MILLER: Lucille Ball has a reputation for being a very hard taskmaster when she’s working. Did that ever put a strain on your friendship?

VANCE: She’s a talented, driving lady. I think one of the reasons Lucille and I remain close friends is that one balances the other. Lucille had more ambition than I had and made me work harder than I ever wanted to work. She pulled me along and taught me a lot of things I was too lazy to do.

BAWDEN: One critic said you had achieved TV immortality as Ethel Mertz. How do you feel about that?

VANCE: It’s cute, but being Ethel was also a straitjacket. People meeting me today are surprised I do wear contemporary clothes and I’m not at all like her. I was acting. And there are many sides to me.

BAWDEN: People assume, with the endless reruns, that you are very wealthy.

VANCE: We got paid for the first six repeats—same as the people on Leave It to Beaver. Next question, please.

BAWDEN: You came back for The Lucy Show in 1962.

VANCE: I did eighty-one episodes and then I left. I’d remarried, my husband lived in Connecticut, and I was flying home weekends. I became a nervous wreck. Besides, the pay wasn’t all that great. Lucy said she’d get Ann Sothern [to replace Vance] but Ann refused, even at double the salary I was getting, telling Lucy she was a tightwad. I’d come every season; same thing with Here’s Lucy, which I was just on.

BAWDEN: You were there the very last night of the Lucy-Desi partnership?

VANCE: I was up in the gondola of the soundstage watching Lucy do her last scene ever as Lucy Ricardo, the very last scene of The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour. And it got to me and I was teary. I’d spent almost a decade with this gang and this was it and I blubbered like a baby. Desi was standing next to me and he was teary-eyed, too, because it wasn’t just the end of a show that had become an institution, it was the end of the marriage as well. Running Desilu had taken so much out of him he started philandering, and that was it as far as Lucy was concerned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 16, 2022 2:47 PM

Thanks for posting this!!

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2022 5:29 PM

You're welcome r1!

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2022 5:44 PM

[quote]... who died 43 years ago today.

... and the sky was so blue!

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2022 8:49 PM

Thanks for posting, OP.

Lucy REALLY wanted Bea Benaderet and Gale Gordon as Ethel and Fred. She was very upset that Bea was with Burns and Allen, and Gale was with Our Miss Brooks. On one of those recently rereleased radio interviews from 1964 Lucy told Bea "I went to be crying because I had to go into television without Bea Benaderet and Gale Gordon. I could not believe it!"

I think Lucy got very lucky on that count. Not that Bea and Gale are bad, but they were much more conventional and run of the mill. Frawley and Vance helped bring something special to the show. They helped make it something more than a sitcom. The fact that Lucy kept Viv for The Lucy Show instead of picking up Bea speaks volumes. And it was very foolish for Lucy to allow Viv to leave after season 3. The show suffered.

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2022 9:14 PM

Why was Lucy being so cheap with VV? Then offering to pay Ann Sothern 2X VV's salary. Then Ann turned it down, calling Lucy a tightwad. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2022 9:18 PM

Thankfully, it kept Ann Sothern available for Lady in a Cage!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2022 9:26 PM

R5 I would guess it was part of Lucy's controlling nature. Viv sort of "belonged" to her, and Lucy I think felt a (misplaced) sense of betrayal that Viv would suggest if she didn't get the money she asked for would leave. I am sure Lucy came to regret her decision to allow Vivian to leave.

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2022 9:27 PM

She did belong to me, r7

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2022 9:32 PM

The plan was to bring Viv back for the 1974-75 season of Here's Lucy. Viv was on board, too. But, CBS was riding high with All in the Family, MTM, and Maude. They axed it. It likely wouldn't have been very good, but it would've been neat to see Viv and Lucy together for one last season.

So, Vivian did other stuff like Rhoda, and a series of coffee commercials. Never quite as big as Margaret Hamilton with those though.

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2022 9:34 PM

Sothern had been successful as both an MGM star and a TV star (with her own show). Lucy might have thought she was in a different category from Vance.

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2022 9:35 PM

Little did Lucy know, Desi probably admired Viv more with the weight gain. Apparently Lucy was a control freak to such an extent that it backfired on her

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2022 10:25 PM

He admired me for the happy endings, r11

by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2022 10:28 PM

Desi was supposed to have had an affair with Cesar Romero according to Romero.

by Anonymousreply 13August 17, 2022 10:35 PM

If you haven’t already, listen to the two Let’s Talk to Lucy podcasts that have Lucy’s separate interviews of Viv and Ann Southern. Viv clearly kept Lucy in her place in several ways. It seems that Ann was not interested in returning to a weekly TV series, so I don’t think she would have accepted any amount of money from Lucy to go back to it. I think Ann said later she took the My Mother the Car gig because she could simply record her lines and not have to deal with the daily grind of a weekly TV show.

by Anonymousreply 14August 17, 2022 11:16 PM

It is unimaginable to think of Gale Gordon as Fred, but I can easily imagine Bea Benederet at Ethel. She wouldn't have been as good, but she would have been okay.

I like Benederet, but she was a little on the bland side. Even when "Petticoat Junction" was supposed to be wackier (and more like what "Green Acres" would be), it was still incredibly bland except for Uncle Joe and his froggy voice.

by Anonymousreply 15August 17, 2022 11:56 PM

[quote]It is unimaginable to think of Gale Gordon as Fred

*shudder*

by Anonymousreply 16August 18, 2022 12:11 AM

Bea and Gale both guest-starred on "I Love Lucy."

by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2022 12:16 AM

When Viv left "The Lucy Show," did she tell her, "I have sufficient?"

by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2022 12:16 AM

Gale Gordon was terrible on the post I Love Lucy shows, much less playing Fred Mertz.

by Anonymousreply 19August 18, 2022 12:18 AM

A little of Gale Gordon goes a long way.

by Anonymousreply 20August 18, 2022 12:26 AM

Audrey Meadows would have been a great choice to replace Vivian. She came from a similar type of show, and she could hold her own with Gleason and Art Carney.

I have no idea why she was so hung up on Gale. Vivian worked because Vivian could do the slapstick as well as be the stern voice of reason. Gale being the stern boss to Lucy's wacky self was not the same as Ricky dealing with Lucy's shit. The dynamic was just off. It's a shame Lucy couldn't see that.

by Anonymousreply 21August 18, 2022 12:27 AM

R21 I think it's because Gale did what Lucy told him to do, including being the recipient of a lot of physical comedy.

by Anonymousreply 22August 18, 2022 12:52 AM

This photo was taken after an obvious facelift.

I've noticed that facelifts performed back in the 1960-80s looked better than the ones performed today. I wonder why that is? You'd think that with modern advancements that they would look much better today, but they don't

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 18, 2022 1:09 AM

Back then, they didn't do Botox and fillers and cheek implants.

by Anonymousreply 24August 18, 2022 2:31 AM

Lucille forbid plastic surgery in my I Love Lucy contract too

by Anonymousreply 25August 18, 2022 8:15 AM

Viv was prettier than Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 26August 18, 2022 9:02 AM

I think she was more insecure about her looks, though, especially during the I Love Lucy years

by Anonymousreply 27August 18, 2022 9:05 AM

Unfortunately, there are a lot of reports online of this book being a fraud. If you look up all three of Bawden's books, you'll see people saying his interviews contain so many factual errors they are probably entirely made up.

This doesn't sound like Vivian Vance at all, which is why I was suspicious. Bawden died last year so I guess we'll never know, but the 20 pounds rumor has been long debunked, so that alone makes me wary.

by Anonymousreply 28August 18, 2022 11:10 AM

This guy was absolutely making up interviews.

This example is hilarious: He claims he interviewed Rosalind Russell and asked her about her memoir, Life is a Banquet. The problem is that the memoir was published five years after she died!

Sorry guys, this interview is fake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 18, 2022 11:12 AM

[quote]“Any time I worked late, which was often, he was always around, anxious to share the latest newsroom or showbiz gossip, often exaggerated or outright false,” Salem said in an email.

[quote]“He didn’t care. It was a good story.”

[quote]His favourite Bawden story, now an urban myth, was about Arnold the Pig on the CBS sitcom “Green Acres.” Bawden duly reported that star Eddie Albert said the cast ate their porcine co-star at the wrap party: an untrue but long-running joke that “became the stuff of legend.”

Sorry I'm bursting bubbles here but I find this asshole entertainment writer's dedication to spreading lies hilarious. Only the Toronto Star would keep him on the job well into his 60s. I guess they never got sued because he only talked about dead people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 18, 2022 11:16 AM

The contract clause about being 20 pounds heavier was debunked long ago. The interview is an obvious fraud.

by Anonymousreply 31August 18, 2022 11:34 AM

In an interview, Madelyn Pugh claims that Vivian herself started the rumor, r31, because she was self-conscious about her weight

by Anonymousreply 32August 18, 2022 12:06 PM

I can see Gale Gordon as Fred Mertz though both he and Frawley were very hammy actors. I never believed the Fred/Ethel pairing on ILL and thought Frawley was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 33August 18, 2022 12:30 PM

Gordon's slow burn would have been annoying and too hammy for every week on ILL.

by Anonymousreply 34August 18, 2022 12:34 PM

R13- Cesar giving Desi a BLOWJOB does not constitute an affair.

by Anonymousreply 35August 18, 2022 12:50 PM

r23, many of these photos and tv appearances were aided by the use of wigs and tape that used strings under the wig to strategically pull the skin as tight as needed and in ways plastic surgery can't do. Debbie Reynolds brother Bill was an expert at this. Lucy, whose fair skin scarred easily, relied on this technique as well, which worked pretty well for her during ILL but was beyond the scope of physics by the time the cameras on Mame rolled.

by Anonymousreply 36August 18, 2022 1:01 PM

[quote]Cesar giving Desi a BLOWJOB

*allegedly

by Anonymousreply 37August 18, 2022 1:07 PM

R36- I don’t think they did that to her on ILL. She naturally looked ten years younger on the show until the last episodes- specifically the episode with the Glamour Girls- Lucy tried to get herself hired as a glamour girl- in that episode she finally looked like an Older woman- she was about 48 years old in that episode and she finally looked her age or older.

by Anonymousreply 38August 18, 2022 1:11 PM

Lucy screaming “Mr. Mooney!” is a treasured part of my childhood.

by Anonymousreply 39August 18, 2022 1:50 PM

Next thing you know, r28 is gonna claim Desi wasn't hung and Vivian's husband wasn't gay.

by Anonymousreply 40August 18, 2022 3:07 PM

I did not like Gale Gordon on The Lucy Show, but I liked him on Here's Lucy. I think the difference was that they were in-laws, so it was much easier to understand why he would have to put up with her.

by Anonymousreply 41August 18, 2022 7:31 PM

BAWDEN: People assume, with the endless reruns, that you are very wealthy.

VANCE: I have sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 42August 18, 2022 7:44 PM

On set

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 19, 2022 10:30 AM

How does the interview not "sound like Viv"?

by Anonymousreply 44August 19, 2022 9:13 PM

Smashing!

by Anonymousreply 45October 7, 2022 9:32 AM

Did Vivian do any other work besides anything with Luci? This was all before my time.

by Anonymousreply 46October 7, 2022 10:38 AM

She had a marginally successful Broadway career, r46, in the late 1930s/1940s, mainly in musical comedy. Ultimately, two factors worked against her: serious mental health problems that manifested in her 30s and a long-term abusive marriage. Interestingly, she had opportunities during I Love Lucy to return to the stage as well as to appear in some films, neither of which ever materialized, but which also could have expanded her professional range. She later claimed she'd wanted out of I Love Lucy, but her husband refused to let her quit because he enjoyed the $$$.

She was given a pilot project in the late 1950s (Guestward, Ho!) but CBS didn't pick up it up.

By the 1960s, she was remarried and living in the east. She appeared in a few films as well as The Lucy Show, but beyond that, summer stock, and some TV shows, she largely stopped performing. She battled ill health for much of the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 47October 7, 2022 11:39 AM

r46

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 7, 2022 6:54 PM

Thank you R47. It’s too bad that she couldn’t have had more credits to her name.

by Anonymousreply 49October 7, 2022 9:53 PM

Agree, r49.

I wish she'd done more dramatic roles. And maybe it's because she was typecast as Ethel, but I think she would have been great as Lola in Come Back, Little Sheba

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 7, 2022 10:15 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 7, 2022 10:47 PM

R51, Mark Miller was hot.

by Anonymousreply 52October 7, 2022 11:43 PM

There’s a story in the Bart Andrews book that says at the height of Lucy’s pregnancy, Lucy and Ethel exit the stage for a costume change. Viv was late returning from the costume change and Lucy snapped, “You almost missed your cue.” Viv turned to Lucy and said, “I’d tell you to go fuck yourself but Desi has already taken care of that.”

Does anyone think that’s true? And what episode would that have been?

by Anonymousreply 53October 7, 2022 11:46 PM

r53 then I added, "And then Desi fucked me too."

by Anonymousreply 54October 8, 2022 12:07 AM

^ And then Cesar Romero blurted out something that is completely unprintable, even on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 55October 8, 2022 12:19 AM

R55 Your mention of Cesar Romero reminded me that Lucille was very conservative about social and sexual behavior, but she seemed to swallow it (so to speak) when it came to gay men in the entertainment business. She indeed worked and was friends with Cesar Romaro (who was called "Butch" by his friends), Rock Hudson, and many others. She had to know the business was loaded with them. I'm guessing that as long as society kept gays deeply in the closet so Lucille didn't have to hear about it, she was able to ignore it.

by Anonymousreply 56October 8, 2022 5:04 AM

Dowdy frocks is the giveaway - that’s not something a real person talking would ever say

by Anonymousreply 57October 8, 2022 6:16 AM

Would Viv say "frocks"? Or was Bawden from the UK and made it up? I don't think even in the 50s Americans said " frocks".

by Anonymousreply 58October 8, 2022 8:06 AM

The only place I've heard "frocks" is from the anti-trans trolls on DL

by Anonymousreply 59October 11, 2022 1:44 PM

She had a winning smile and a lovely bustline.

by Anonymousreply 60October 11, 2022 1:52 PM

r51 I think Guestward, Ho! was the final nail in the coffin of the Vance-Ober union. Phil really wanted the male lead and demanded Vivian secure it for him, but despite her best efforts, Desi refused to cast him. Whatever professional favors she could secure on his behalf had long dried up. He filed for divorce around this time.

It's always amusing to me how much Vivian's sisters liked Phil (whereas he was universally hated at Desilu). Speaking of the divorce, one of them said, "We all loved Phil and were sad to see him go."

by Anonymousreply 61October 11, 2022 1:55 PM

Are people still thinking this interview is real? The guy who wrote it was famous for making stuff up.

[quote]“Any time I worked late, which was often, he was always around, anxious to share the latest newsroom or showbiz gossip, often exaggerated or outright false,” Salem said in an email.

[quote]“He didn’t care. It was a good story.”

[quote]“He never used a notepad to record his interviews,” Slotek said. “I soon realized that he didn’t record interviews because he offered his own interpretation of interviews.”

by Anonymousreply 62October 11, 2022 2:11 PM

Nobody, I mean NOBODY did sarcasm as well as Vance or as funny. She literally would hit a note in her voice that was not only authentic but had a 'I'm so fed up with this' sound to it that was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 63October 11, 2022 2:31 PM

r63 one of her best lines (imo) comes when the two couples take a magazine marriage quiz. Forget the episode, but Lucy says something like, "This quiz will determine if we're married to our ideal mates." Ethel replies, "For this I need a quiz?" Viv strikes the perfect note.

by Anonymousreply 64October 11, 2022 2:36 PM

[quote]Viv strikes the perfect note.

Low-hanging fruit.

by Anonymousreply 65October 11, 2022 2:43 PM

There’s also a great Viv moment, sorry I forgot which episode.

Lucy is trying to get Ethel involved in a scheme. She says something about Ethel being her friend.

Ethel: With friends like you, who needs enemies?

Viv was perfect on the delivery of that line.

by Anonymousreply 66October 11, 2022 3:16 PM

That's from Building a Barbecue I think r66

by Anonymousreply 67October 11, 2022 4:11 PM

r63 I wish Vivian had lived through the 1980s. I think her style of humor was well-suited for later sitcoms.

by Anonymousreply 68October 11, 2022 5:32 PM

One of Viv's rare post-Lucy movie roles is on TCM tonight ... "The Great Race." (Go to 2:03)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 11, 2022 8:02 PM

She was also in 1972's rather dismal Getting Away from It All

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 11, 2022 8:25 PM

This never gets old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 11, 2022 11:15 PM

Almost nothing beats r71!

by Anonymousreply 72October 11, 2022 11:36 PM

No one ever talks about Desi Jrs drug use. What was his drug of choice? Lucy and Lucie were quoted as saying he almost died. Was it heroin ?

by Anonymousreply 73October 16, 2022 11:44 AM

[quote]VANCE: Took a while. She insisted on a clause saying I had to be twenty pounds heavier than she was and wear dowdy frocks.

The word frocks jumps out at me. I just don't think she would have said frocks in that particular context. I tried to read Bawden's Conversations With Legendary Film Stars, even though I had seen online comments that said there were innacuracies and things the stars just would not have said. I didn't get very far. The book was worthless. I've done a lot of reading about those stars and I remember what I read. That book was junk and, unfortunately, I'm sure this one is the same.

by Anonymousreply 74October 16, 2022 12:05 PM

[quote]And Bill was twenty-two years my senior and he looked it. A crusty old bachelor who lived with his sister. Completely uncollegial.

He was actually a divorcé.

by Anonymousreply 75October 16, 2022 12:17 PM

Bill Frawley had horrible shakes. So much written about his alcoholism, but it seemed more like Parkinson’s

by Anonymousreply 76October 16, 2022 12:30 PM

R76- I wonder if William Frawley ever took it up the ASS?

by Anonymousreply 77October 16, 2022 12:32 PM

R77 🤮

by Anonymousreply 78October 16, 2022 12:38 PM

R77 Is that known to cause Parkinson's?

by Anonymousreply 79October 16, 2022 12:45 PM

Is Frawley one of those "only gay on DL" celebrities?

by Anonymousreply 80October 16, 2022 1:02 PM

[quote]No one ever talks about Desi Jrs drug use. What was his drug of choice? Lucy and Lucie were quoted as saying he almost died. Was it heroin ?

Henna rinse.

by Anonymousreply 81October 16, 2022 2:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!