Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tim Burton’s “Wednesday” trailer

LOL Nancy Reagan High School

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 6, 2023 4:10 PM

DLers at Nancy Reagan High School sounds like a legendary Let’s Be thread.

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2022 3:56 PM

Flop.

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2022 3:59 PM

Not feeling it.

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2022 4:03 PM

Why Luis Guzmán as Gomez? He's too fat. Also, that piranhas CGI scene was terrible. Also, Tim Burton has made anything good in a few decades now.

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2022 4:07 PM

So, Wednesday Addams is sent to schools where she doesn't fit in, engages in extremely violent acts that don't get her sent to Juvenile Detention or a psychiatric hospital and then, her parents decide to send her to the school they attended (wouldn't it have been much easier to send her there from the beginning?), which looks like a Hogwarths rip off. Oh, and just like in Harry Potter, there is a ball where the outcasts shine like nobody else, there is a mystery to be solved and there are quirky supernatural characters!

The originality is utterly baffling 🙄 🙄 🙄

The charm of the original films, which incorporated incongruously sinister elements to joyously silly (and wholesome) plots, has been turned into Goth Gidget and Goes to Witch School for the snowflake, you-better-say-I'm-special-though-I'm-not generation.

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2022 4:22 PM

Luckily the two original films remain so thoroughly entertaining that I'll never feel the need to watch this crap.

I'll even watch Carolyn Jones and John Astin having a ball for 60+ episodes over this mediocrity.

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2022 4:49 PM

R5 is right but I’m still going to give it a chance.

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2022 5:43 PM

Not finished in time for Halloween!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 23, 2022 3:05 PM

They should have just cast Christina Ricci, and CGI'd any wrinkles she has now. She hasn't grown since then, and her voice is the same.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 23, 2022 3:10 PM

Girl power. Groundbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 10September 23, 2022 3:53 PM

I love how misandrist narratives and torture of men are fine in American society, it’s rather insane. Imagine Pugsley releasing piranhas into the water to swim up the female swim team’s vaginas and eat their uteruses to make them sterile. Not so cute now, uhhh?

by Anonymousreply 11September 23, 2022 3:55 PM

I watched the entire thing over the past couple of days and enjoyed it. The girl playing Wednesday is very pretty and the actor playing Tyler is cute. It was fairly easy to figure out who were the villains, but there are only so many possibilities in a TV show so it comes down to process of elimination.

by Anonymousreply 12November 26, 2022 3:18 AM

It seems like Harry Potter from the Slytherin POV. I'll watch it when I have time.

by Anonymousreply 13November 26, 2022 3:21 AM

Seeing that Tim Burton is directing actually makes me want to avoid it. His later films have been so repulsive and off putting.

by Anonymousreply 14November 26, 2022 3:28 AM

Christina Ricci was absolute perfection. I like Ortega but nobody can match what Ricci did.

by Anonymousreply 15November 26, 2022 3:33 AM

I'd rather watch Ryan Murphy remake "The Golden Girls" with Chaz Bono and Ben Platt's hairy asshole.

by Anonymousreply 16November 26, 2022 4:45 AM

Such a fleshy arse on such a lean body! But not from this wretched series though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 26, 2022 5:44 AM

[quote]Why Luis Guzmán as Gomez? He's too fat.

Have you seen the original squat Gomez from the New Yorker cartoons?

by Anonymousreply 18November 26, 2022 5:56 AM

Tim Burton didn't direct every episode. I agree that Christina Ricci was perfection as a little girl in the original movies, but the new girl is very good as the teenage version.

by Anonymousreply 19November 26, 2022 1:09 PM

It is pretty great. Probably the best new TV teen mystery show released this year.

by Anonymousreply 20November 26, 2022 1:26 PM

[Quote]Also, Tim Burton has made anything good in a few decades now.

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 21November 26, 2022 1:32 PM

it's garbage. . .

It was a chore binging it all because it was so bad.. not even camp level.

It was like a cluter of ideas they threw together as par the course for Z programming and either poorly structured or edited for what little may have salvaged it.

It was lazy.

by Anonymousreply 22November 26, 2022 5:46 PM

R17 - Waiting for that picture to load brought me back to AOL days.

by Anonymousreply 23November 26, 2022 5:51 PM

R23 - did you also weep while waiting? Just ignore it, if it causes you too much trouble, generally speaking.

by Anonymousreply 24November 27, 2022 8:56 AM

It did not cause too much trouble r24, specifically speaking.

It merely recalled a memory.

by Anonymousreply 25November 27, 2022 9:23 AM

Wednesday's prom dance routine was ... wow!

by Anonymousreply 26November 27, 2022 9:33 AM

This shit series is too dark, even after I've just had a LASIK surgery.

by Anonymousreply 27November 27, 2022 9:42 AM

I’m rather surprised Wednesday has so many male suitors. I always saw her as a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 28November 28, 2022 9:21 PM

Gave up after the third episode. It's too much for kids and CZJ isn't good as Morticia.

by Anonymousreply 29November 28, 2022 9:23 PM

I watched it all yesterday and today. It was cute. The girl playing Wednesday was great. I really liked the royal blue/black striped blazers the kids wore. The story was fine. The principal was kind of a wasted character. Loved Bee boy Eugene. Wednesday’s dance was terrific. The kid playing normie Lucas was one of the worst actors I’ve ever seen. He’s got to know someone in the business.

I’m glad Gomez and Morticia weren’t in it a lot because I didn’t like them. CZJ wasn’t quite right and I get that they wanted Gomez more like the fat, squat, and ugly cartoon character, but all I kept waiting for was Raul Julia (rip). Gomez should be elegant.

Thing was the real MVP of the season. I’ll watch a season 2.

by Anonymousreply 30November 28, 2022 9:33 PM

Fun fact, I heard Mrs. Michael Douglas, 37, was originally cast as Wednesday but Morticia required acting chops that only she could deliver, so they used a slightly wrinkle adding software.

by Anonymousreply 31November 28, 2022 9:36 PM

Wednesday without Christina Ricci is like, why ?

by Anonymousreply 32November 28, 2022 9:37 PM

She looks like a young Aubrey Plaza. They should play sisters, cousins, or mother/daughter (if their ages make sense) in something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 28, 2022 9:42 PM

Ricci as Wednesday is up there with Chaplin as the tramp, Leigh as Scarlett, Karloff as Frankeinstein, et all. She was ICONIC.

by Anonymousreply 34November 28, 2022 9:49 PM

[quote]Gomez should be elegant.

No he shouldn't.

by Anonymousreply 35November 28, 2022 10:42 PM

What’s interesting is that Thora Birch was supposed to play the role Christina Ricci is playing now. If Thora had not backed out due to personal reasons would Ricci still be in this show?

by Anonymousreply 36November 29, 2022 3:42 AM

[quote] She looks like a young Aubrey Plaza.

She acts like one, too. Her Wednesday was basically a teenage April Ludgate.

by Anonymousreply 37November 29, 2022 4:06 AM

Massive hit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 29, 2022 7:08 PM

I almost feel sorry for Mrs. Michael Douglas, 37, playing opposite the current Gomez. I mean he looks like they said we don't care, we'll take Julia as he is!

by Anonymousreply 39November 29, 2022 7:09 PM

Loving this show. And Luis Guzmán is literally the perfect Gomez.

by Anonymousreply 40November 29, 2022 9:19 PM

Yes Wednesday is a Mary Sue and it is a bit over the top but it is fun. Ortega makes it work. I wonder if she listened to Bauhaus and Siouxsie Sioux for show prep?

I've seen Jenna Ortega in other things and thank God,she is not a one note actress like Aubrey Plaza. Jenna has a bright future I hope she sticks around.

by Anonymousreply 41December 3, 2022 3:55 AM

[quote] It's too much for kids and CZJ isn't good as Morticia.

It's so challenging to play the mother of a teenaged daughter when I am so youthful myself!

by Anonymousreply 42December 3, 2022 3:57 AM

CZJ is the worst part about the show. Incredibly miscast.

by Anonymousreply 43December 6, 2022 5:42 AM

I’m only a few episodes in, but it’s pretty perplexing. What’s interesting about Wednesday attending Monster High? And even if they wanted to go that way, why is it just the typical high school hierarchy bullshit anyway?

by Anonymousreply 44December 6, 2022 6:15 AM

This was very entertaining to have in the background, however there is one glaring problem with the series: it's supposed to be set at a (gorgeous-looking!) school, yet it only features the principal and one single teacher. Oh, and the fencing instructor in the premiere. They're shown being in a botany class a couple of times and that's it. I was really excited because it had such Harry Potter vibes at the start, but then I quickly realised it's just a murder mystery with a couple of romantic plotlines thrown in, and the school part is tertiary. I know there were budgetary restrictions to consider, but it just seems like a missed opportunity to give the whole show some additional character. It's all a bit dry as it is, and Wednesday's quippy retorts get old fast.

Don't think I didn't notice the lack of gay characters either.

by Anonymousreply 45December 6, 2022 11:13 PM

[quote] Don't think I didn't notice the lack of gay characters either.

So you missed that Eugene, the bee enthusiast, has two moms?

by Anonymousreply 46December 11, 2022 1:00 AM

The girl who plays Wednesday can’t act, and her sourpuss trope wore thin within ten minutes of the first episode. If you’ve seen one of those “type” portrayed on TV, you’ve seen them all.

by Anonymousreply 47December 11, 2022 1:05 AM

The Tik Tok craze of Wednesday's dance played to Gaga's Bloody Mary was fun.

But the show was meh for me. Wasn't bad. But wasn't great.

by Anonymousreply 48December 11, 2022 1:29 AM

I thought the series was strong overall. I wish the two love interests hadn't looked so much alike--they could have passed for brothers.

I liked all of the casting except CZJ as Morticia. She just didn't bring the elegance and irony of the character, and she has zero chemistry with Guzman. Guzman's Gomez was quite different from Julia's, and I like Julia's better, but I think Guzman would have worked better with a different Morticia.

I wish Tim Burton had cast Eva Green as Morticia instead. She'd have been smashing, and she's worked with Burton before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 11, 2022 1:40 AM

Last summer, Green was in talks to do Morticia, but suddenly CZJ was cast. Online fans said Green and Oscar Isaacs should have played Morticia and Gomez. They would be more appropriate ages to have a teenage daughter and son. Luis Guzman is pushing 70.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 11, 2022 5:08 AM

I'm sure Green would've playing Morticia if the character had more to do than be a plot device for the lead, Wednesday.

by Anonymousreply 51December 11, 2022 9:08 AM

I loved it.

Pure popcorn fluff, which is what it was supposed to be, & is.

by Anonymousreply 52December 11, 2022 4:14 PM

I tried but it lost me on the first episode with the werewolves and other assorted mythical creatures student body. Trying too hard to be do the Harry Potter and Twilight supernatural shit.

They should have stuck to the actual Addams Family humor of eccentric rich weirdos among normal people.

by Anonymousreply 53December 11, 2022 4:29 PM

Green and Isaac would have been an incredibly hot Morticia and Gomez, possibly even hotter than Huston and Julia. When Green and Isaac made out all the time it would have been sexy, not silly.

by Anonymousreply 54December 11, 2022 7:01 PM

It's supposed to be silly.

by Anonymousreply 55December 11, 2022 8:43 PM

Thumbs down for Green as Morticia. Burton did well to avoid her.

by Anonymousreply 56December 11, 2022 9:38 PM

I doubt Green would've been interested in playing a mere plot device for the lead. Even for Tim Burton.

by Anonymousreply 57December 12, 2022 12:11 PM

I'm just going to say it: the main love interest is butt ugly. Not the one who's openly gay in real life - the other one.

by Anonymousreply 58December 14, 2022 12:56 AM

I tried to watch this, I really wanted to like it. Yeah, the Aubrey Plaza goes to Hogwarts comment is correct. And the 37 year old CZJ playing the mom is just impossible! We get it, you're edgy and don't like to hug and don't like people and don't like to smile, etc. So why exactly would we root for you?

by Anonymousreply 59December 14, 2022 6:57 PM

just finished this... I enjoyed it and looking forward to season 2. CZJ was a little Lucyish in Mame and I don't understand how Guzman gets jobs, I don't get but I would recommend it

by Anonymousreply 60December 29, 2022 12:57 PM

R59 funny you should say that because I really resented the series' angle that she secretly does like people and affection but it's all defense mechanism. It would have had a little more nuance if everyone stopped trying to change her and loved her exactly as she is. The whole point of the Addams Family is that they're very different from others but they're still ultimately good, kind, moral people who if you look past the surface differences are worth getting to know on their own kooky terms. The show doesn't really lean into that at all.

by Anonymousreply 61December 29, 2022 6:09 PM

Renewed at Netflix after talk it could have been vertically sold to Prime

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 6, 2023 4:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!