Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why'd Liz Cheney throw her career away?

Yes her cause was noble but was it worth losing her seat over it? Few would do that.

by Anonymousreply 76August 19, 2022 4:17 AM

She's eyeing a run for president.

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2022 6:59 AM

as a repug or democrat?

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2022 7:01 AM

Because she has integrity. And yes, fewer and fewer people have integrity so it comes a a shock to many, especially Trump supporters. I'm sure I would disagree with her on many policy directions (I haven't studied her position on anything really), but respect her for standing up for what's right when it comes to all the shenanigans that have gone on in politics in recent years. She did what needed to be done, even if it was to her own detriment.

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2022 7:01 AM

Definitely a Republican, R2. She wants to take the Republican Party back from Trump supporters and enablers.

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2022 7:03 AM

She's delusional then r4.

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2022 7:04 AM

Completely delusional.

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2022 7:06 AM

Trump et al got her done good.

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2022 7:06 AM

Not delusional, R5. Just a little ahead of her time. Trump is going down, in case you hadn't noticed.

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2022 7:07 AM

But his support has pushed those who know the election was stolen, through tough primaries. Trump backed candidates winning important primaries everywhere, in key positions in important states.

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2022 7:33 AM

She wants to bring integrity back to the GOP? There was never less integrity in that party then when her war criminal daddy and that baboon called the President faked evidence so that we could wage war and kill countless American soldiers and 100,000 Iraqi civilians. Too bad that the FBI doesn't raid the Cheney home.

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2022 7:47 AM

Was Liz in charge of her daddy and Bush? The title of the thread is "Why'd Liz Cheney throw her career away?" Because she didn't like the shit Trump and his minions were doing, and the rampant lies. So she did what needed to be done to be part of investigating his shit and holding him accountable. Disagree with her politics on taxes, national defense, social justice issues, whatever.....but on the matter of Trump she is doing the right thing, to her own detriment.

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2022 7:53 AM

She's a cunt who wants to go back to the old days of Republican foreign policy. She and her family make money off of war. She's another grifter and opportunist who will run for President, knowing that she can never win, but make bundles of moolah for her troubles. Seriously, fuck her.

by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2022 8:01 AM

She doesn't care about the lies daddy told, or if he's ever held responsible.

by Anonymousreply 13August 17, 2022 8:03 AM

She's a rich nepotism white woman who enabled the beast. I don't feel sorry for her and she'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 14August 17, 2022 8:07 AM

Because everyone has a line

And because the Bush-Cheney wing of the party knows the Democrats won't take them and ae horrified that the GOP has become the party of white trash

by Anonymousreply 15August 17, 2022 8:08 AM

So the line in the sand for her weren't the wars that killed countless innocent people. And she was so courageous for throwing her sister under the bus. She does one good thing in her whole life and now she's a DL darling?

by Anonymousreply 16August 17, 2022 8:14 AM

Yeah she threw her poor dyke sister UTB for political reasons. Fuck this bitch.

by Anonymousreply 17August 17, 2022 8:19 AM

Who said she was a "DL darling"?? Some of you have a really warped sense of reality.

by Anonymousreply 18August 17, 2022 8:35 AM

I can't stand her, I don't care if she is the best Republican, that's like saying she's the best Nazi

by Anonymousreply 19August 17, 2022 8:46 AM

I think she wrongly bet against Trump, plain and simple.

What she did wasn’t noble. In 2016, Hillary Clinton was under not one, but two FBI investigations. One was the email server issue and the other was looking into the Clinton Foundation. You can’t name one Democrat who risked their seat just so they could put the screws to Hillary over either issue. And they were right to just shut the hell up and let her do her thing.

Picking a fight with Trump and the rest of your party just to do this self-righteous grandstanding was just stupid. There was no point in her sabotaging her entire political career just to exploit whatever role she feels Trump played in 1/6.

by Anonymousreply 20August 17, 2022 12:09 PM

^ You trolls are always comparing apples and oranges. Hillary wasn't President and she didn't try to overthrow the government. There was no need for Dems to "put the screws" to her. I hate Liz Cheney, but she was one of the only Repugs to chose country over Trump

Now, go find another thread to peddle your "both sides" all things are equal crap. You suck

by Anonymousreply 21August 17, 2022 12:28 PM

You don't want her as President, don't vote for her. But right now, she's one of the very few Republicans standing up to Trump and trying to drag that party out of the fascist swamp. Dems can't do it alone with the electoral college blocking direct representation. Sure, keep bitching about her and we'll end up with DeSantis as president.

by Anonymousreply 22August 17, 2022 12:47 PM

If she had integrity she wouldn’t be a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 23August 17, 2022 12:48 PM

r4 is right, she wants the party to go back to the old corrupt GOP, not the new hillbilly incel version of the corrupt GOP. That's all it is.

by Anonymousreply 24August 17, 2022 12:50 PM

[quote]keep bitching about her and we'll end up with DeSantis as president

My personal feelings about Liz Cheney are not in any way related to whether DeSantis will be president or not.

by Anonymousreply 25August 17, 2022 12:51 PM

Because she’s going to inherit 20 Billion shares of Halliburton stock

by Anonymousreply 26August 17, 2022 12:51 PM

She didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 27August 17, 2022 12:54 PM

Would it been better if Mitt Romney won? He seems to have some shreds of decency.

by Anonymousreply 28August 17, 2022 12:56 PM

^The steel Belt becomes the rust belt^

by Anonymousreply 29August 17, 2022 12:58 PM

You really cannot answer your own question OP? Really? Also, she did not throw away a career. She lost a primary.

by Anonymousreply 30August 17, 2022 12:59 PM

If anything, she will be an unavoidable presence on cable news for the next couple years. They need someone to play the roles of respectable conservative.

by Anonymousreply 31August 17, 2022 1:01 PM

With dangling GOLD BAR EARRINGS

by Anonymousreply 32August 17, 2022 1:02 PM

she did it to try and save the rest of us. This used to be the standard that people used to teach their children how to be good productive adults. They weren't taught that everything was about money and power as there really are more important things.

by Anonymousreply 33August 17, 2022 1:03 PM

I agree with r24. The Bush-Cheney side of that party miss the old days of the country club Republicans, with their smug sense of superiority. Now it’s the party of MAGA white trash and religious fanatics, and it’s embarrassing to the old crowd. Their votes were useful in attaining a grip on power and money, but the lunatics took over the asylum.

by Anonymousreply 34August 17, 2022 1:05 PM

Watching liberals (especially gay ones) kiss her ass on Twitter is unpleasant. I'm glad she did the right thing this once, when it mattered most. I wish she'd done it more often in the past.

by Anonymousreply 35August 17, 2022 1:06 PM

[quote]Just a little ahead of her time. Trump is going down, in case you hadn't noticed.

But the new GOP is not going to move away from Trumpism, Nationalism, Christian Nationalism, and White Supremacy. That damage has been done.

So they aren't going to shift to a Liz Cheney once Donald is dead or imprisoned, they will gravitate to a Ron DeSantis, who is just as craven as Trump, only smart.

by Anonymousreply 36August 17, 2022 1:06 PM

Agree with R37 and R11.

She will be the head of the new Republican Party (or whatever they end up calling themselves) after Trump gets what he's been asking for, for decades, the MAGAts are sorted out, and there are more than a few QRepubs ousted from our government.

Trumpers and MAGAts aren't functional humans. They don't get along with others at large or even each other. They are as unable to run a country as Donald was, a business without causing a bankruptcy. At heart, they are all losers on a grand scale. Real life isn't The Bad News Bears; losers don't turn into Winners and World Leaders.

Ineptitude of that magnitude does not last. Lady Cheney knows this. Politics aside, I admire her moves. Savvy woman.

by Anonymousreply 37August 17, 2022 1:10 PM

Isn't her voting record during the Trump years around 90% with the orange turd?

It's funny to see repubs call her a liberal.

by Anonymousreply 38August 17, 2022 2:00 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 17, 2022 2:19 PM

[quote]She wants to bring integrity back to the GOP? There was never less integrity in that party then when her war criminal daddy...

This line of logic reminds me of Trump pointing the finger at Hillary for Bill's womanizing. Why do Americans think people are responsible for what their relatives do?

What her father did has nothing whatsoever to do with her, unless you know she was working with him behind the scenes.

by Anonymousreply 40August 17, 2022 2:20 PM

She did what her daddy told her to. She knows what would have happened if she'd crossed him. BAM in the face, and no inheritance.

by Anonymousreply 41August 17, 2022 2:25 PM

[quote] Why'd Liz Cheney throw her career away?

She did it for Johnny.

by Anonymousreply 42August 17, 2022 2:33 PM

Maybe she is afflicted with: I'm A Legend in My Own Mind" Syndrome. Or Daddy's little Puppet syndrome. Or just a low grade moron like dad. Or she believed her own hype. Or as my truly gifted hairstylist friend said: Suicide blonde dyed by her own hand with cheap peroxide that has leached into an already pathetically undersized brain. Yes, he's a bitch, but I love him & his humor.

by Anonymousreply 43August 17, 2022 2:52 PM

The current GOP has changed drastically in the last 40 years, I think she wants a return of the old party, the one she grew up with.

Even republicans can have integrity and she did what she felt was the right thing to do and she didn’t allow the old goons to scare her into submission and that counts for a lot with regards to keeping that traitor from running again.

She is however still a republican and she agreed with repealing RvW so fuck her.

by Anonymousreply 44August 17, 2022 3:14 PM

Watch Vice with Christian Bale if you want to get a (semi-fictional) version of the Cheney family. The point of the film: how far can you bend the rule of law and pervert justice to get what you want. The only difference is the T Rumps abandoned the legalese subterfuge and just went full on fascist.

by Anonymousreply 45August 17, 2022 3:22 PM

She stood for the rule of law. I respect Liz Cheney immensely for that and that alone.

by Anonymousreply 46August 17, 2022 3:26 PM

She put country before party, and, yes, it was absolutely worth throwing her seat away. Otherwise, her integrity was meaningless. It's Wyoming that threw something away, not Cheney. History will laud her. Trump will occupy a place no better than Putin or Stalin.

by Anonymousreply 47August 17, 2022 3:26 PM

She looks a bit like Marine Le Pen. . So a presidential run makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 48August 17, 2022 3:27 PM

...with Adam (peg me) Kinzinger as VP. I would love to see VP debate between him and Pete.

by Anonymousreply 49August 17, 2022 3:31 PM

R21 Way to miss the point. The point is, you don’t win anything by picking internecine fights. I bet plenty of Republicans would’ve loved if a few Democrats had said, “you know, we all take an oath to handle classified documents seriously and it appears violated that. I hate it but she’s not above the law”. No, instead they had Bernie say “I think they’re tired of hearing about ya damn emails”. Party politics is about coalition building. If you’re too much of a maverick to deal with the fact that maybe you have to coalesce around someone you don’t particularly care for, run as an independent or don’t run at all.

by Anonymousreply 50August 17, 2022 4:37 PM

Liz voted with Trump 93% of the time. She is one of the most conservative members of Congress.

Just because she crossed mobster toddler Trump she became a pariah thanks to Fox News and the GOP machine. She is far from a RINO.

A few years from now, once Wyoming residents realize their mistake, she will become their senator.

by Anonymousreply 51August 17, 2022 4:50 PM

Why can't all the anti-Trump Republicans get organized and get on the same page to stand up against Trumpism? A united coalition of these people would be a force to be reckoned with, but individually it's a mess.

by Anonymousreply 52August 17, 2022 4:57 PM

Why won’t she lose weight?

That irks me.

by Anonymousreply 53August 17, 2022 4:57 PM

Liz was defeated because she crossed mobster Trump. Gah.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 17, 2022 6:27 PM

R35 prefers people who kiss Trump's ass like r20

by Anonymousreply 55August 17, 2022 6:29 PM

Because, despite the people who raised her, her party affiliation, and the shameful way she treated her lesbian sister while voting against marriage equality, Liz Cheney actually has (some) principles.

You should look into it, OP.

by Anonymousreply 56August 17, 2022 6:30 PM

R50 thinks standing up for Democracy is an internecine fight

by Anonymousreply 57August 17, 2022 6:31 PM

@r50, Nice back-peddle, but no. The two situations are not the same, but I still think you have a future with Fox, they love bullshit logic

by Anonymousreply 58August 17, 2022 8:34 PM

Yes, OP, American democracy, the separation of powers, co-equal branches of government, accountability before the law regardless of status are all worth protecting, even if it means losing a seat in Congress. It’s amazing that this has to be said.

Cheney is a proper conservative, as opposed to the coalition of burn-it-all-down god-botherers and craven cowards which currently has control of the GOP. Her politics are pretty much the opposite of mine, but they are at least sane.

What was her alternative to taking the action she has taken since the storming of the Capitol? If American democracy survives, Cheney will stand in history as one of the few rightwingers who defended the Republic at this time. And if democracy is lost, then nothing matters anyway: she will just be lost to history with the rest of her party in the story of appeasement and cowardice which allowed America to descend into madness.

by Anonymousreply 59August 17, 2022 8:48 PM

Because she is as stupid as her monster ofa father.

by Anonymousreply 60August 17, 2022 10:15 PM

R57/R58 Gotta love the non-response response. Respond without addressing anything you actually said.

Democrats spent all last year whining about Kyrsten Sinema and Joe Manchin not playing ball with Pelosi and Schumer but you want to act like you don't understand why Republicans might not be a big fan of someone who is openly attacking one of their own.

by Anonymousreply 61August 18, 2022 1:43 AM

She'll probably make a shit ton of money out of Congress. Get on a few boards, go on the speaking circuit, etc.

by Anonymousreply 62August 18, 2022 1:46 AM

She backed Trump initially. Elections have consequences.

by Anonymousreply 63August 18, 2022 1:48 AM

@r61, You're doing it again. One more time, all things are not equal. No matter how many times you try to say they are in different ways

by Anonymousreply 64August 18, 2022 4:21 AM

She and Kinzinger will try to run in 2024 as a more moderate ticket, hoping that enough people want neither Biden nor fascism that they'll shoot straight down the middle.

Yes, they are the middle now.

If they can decide who's top and who's bottom (VP), that is.

by Anonymousreply 65August 18, 2022 4:24 AM

Still.. She's Voldemorts spawn, in the flesh.

by Anonymousreply 66August 18, 2022 7:02 AM

R64 Its an apt analogy. Democrats are no bigger fans of Democrats who don’t fall in line than Republicans, so let’s not act like Liz Cheney is anything special.

by Anonymousreply 67August 18, 2022 10:05 AM

^ Originally you said Dems should have "put the screws" to Hillary over her emails like Cheney turned on Trump. Now you're saying Dems are just as tough as Repugs on those who "don't fall in line"

You can't even keep your trolls straight

by Anonymousreply 68August 18, 2022 10:18 AM

^ Also, when has a Dem ever primaried another Dem for "not falling in line"? You keep going back to this "both sides" apples and oranges argument. It's just not working, the two sides are not the same. Tell me again and I'll tell you the same

by Anonymousreply 69August 18, 2022 10:29 AM

Daddy's little girl. Either do as Daddy Mc Evil says or not $$$$$$. Really Dler's how hard is that to understand?

Look at that bitch. Do you Really think she can make it on her own resources or even stand on her own 2 feet?. Pig bitch has to feed at Daddy's trough or go hangry!

by Anonymousreply 70August 18, 2022 11:55 AM

OP

So you'd be sucking on Trump's asshole? Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 71August 18, 2022 12:11 PM

Liz Cheney is the Iraq war Princess, raised in incredible luxury (in Virginia, not Wyoming) off the spoils of a brazenly illegal, but massively profitable war.

She was brought up believing that she would become President one day as a matter of Cheney birthright, and she would be the Cheney Dynasty torchbearer who keep the Cheney illegal war fortune coming in.

Her fury at Trump is not based onany principled stance: it is purely the product of her and her father's deep resentment that the GOP electorate has moved so far from the Cheney worldview that there is no way she can ever be elected President.

She is lashing out in the name of her lost BIRTHRIGHT, not because she had the good sense to see that Trump was a danger. After all, she voted WITH Trump over 90% of her time in office.

by Anonymousreply 72August 18, 2022 7:45 PM

^ Interesting perspective 🤔

You just know ol' Dick is pulling every string and calling in every favor to facilitate the destruction of Trump & Co. It'll will be the only decent thing he ever did

by Anonymousreply 73August 18, 2022 9:04 PM

I have no doubt Liz will be the next senator once they realize they just elected their own idiot comparable to Boebert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74August 18, 2022 9:13 PM

R68 No, I didn't say that. You're lying just to keep calling me a troll. But my comments are there in black and white.

by Anonymousreply 75August 19, 2022 4:03 AM

^ And again...

" Also, when has a Dem ever primaried another Dem for "not falling in line"? You keep going back to this "both sides" apples and oranges argument. It's just not working, the two sides are not the same. Tell me again and I'll tell you the same "

by Anonymousreply 76August 19, 2022 4:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!