Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who was considered particularly stupid in Golden Age Hollywood?

I know who's considered stupid among today's stars. But who was considered stupid back then?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 20, 2022 10:08 AM

Well, Shelley Winters considered Liz Taylor stupid.

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2022 2:59 AM

Loretta Young was famously....

Determinedly simple and proud of it.

As in the anecdote from David Niven:

"Director Cecille B de Mille was not getting the right performance from actress Loretta Young when filming his epic The Crusades. According to David Niven, she was not adequately delivering the line 'Richard, you gotta save Christianity' so de Mille told her to put more awe into the line.

Her next delivery of it was 'Aw, Richard, you gotta save Christianity.'"

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2022 3:11 AM

Who are the famously dumb ones today even?

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2022 3:28 AM

Brad Pitt? Chris what’s his name, the dum dum who’s been sucked into the Kennedy/Schwarzenegger maelstrom?

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2022 3:54 AM

Pretty much all of them, r3. Seriously, social media has not been good for entertainers, as the vast majority have revealed themselves to be incredibly dumb. The mystique of the movie star is completely gone.

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2022 3:54 AM

[quote]The mystique of the movie star is completely gone

It was never real to begin with

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2022 4:01 AM

R3 Alec Baldwin

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2022 4:04 AM

I don't see how Brad Pitt or anyone that successful could be dumb. I was impressed with how intelligent Johnny Depp was hearing him speak at his trial. Altho he was dumb too get hoobastanked by Amber Turd. He only has high school education. Pitt is one semester short of his degree.

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2022 4:47 AM

Britney Spears told one interviewer she thought Canada was overseas, and another one that London is a separate place from England.

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2022 4:59 AM

Kanye! Oh, my sides!😂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2022 6:19 AM

How many posters didn't understand the assignment in a post about stupidity? Th eGolden Age of Hollywood seems to be a time of intellectual giants by comparison.

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2022 7:24 AM

Justin Bieber seems to have an IQ of about 85.

by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2022 1:10 PM

Jean Harlow, may she rest in peace, seemed dense to me.

Sean Bean seems dumb.

Understand, I'm fond of both these actors.

by Anonymousreply 13August 17, 2022 1:24 PM

R2: I don't even care if that story is true or apocryphal, it is a great one!

by Anonymousreply 14August 17, 2022 1:29 PM

Gary Cooper seemed dumb. He kept quiet so much because he couldn't learn lines. I like him though. Nobody is like Gary Cooper.

Avan Gardner too. Very beautiful, but not quick-witted.

Keanu Reeves is stupid. I like him, though. He seems kind and generous.

by Anonymousreply 15August 17, 2022 1:30 PM

Cher famously thought the president's faces on Mount Rushmore happened naturally.

by Anonymousreply 16August 17, 2022 1:36 PM

George Raft was supposedly illiterate, and couldn't read the scripts he famously turned down (which were given to Bogart).

by Anonymousreply 17August 17, 2022 1:36 PM

That faggot with the SCRAWNY ass

He was on the Bill Mahr show years ago and couldn’t keep up with the conversation. He’s a DUM DUM

Ben Affleck

by Anonymousreply 18August 17, 2022 1:47 PM

Obviously no one was interested in Marilyn for her brains - but I feel sad for her, knowing how insecure she was about her own intellectual capabilities, or lack thereof. I do know she was said to have absolutely *remarkable* comic timing (a kind of intelligence in itself), when giving a performance. She made sure to be photographed studying method acting and reading James Joyce. Funny, I thought she came off very quick-witted, eloquent, and insightful (also humble) when I've heard her interviews. Obviously not a mental giant, but not the vacuous airhead she was portrayed to be in many of her roles. Frankly, I know that brains have never been among the star-making qualities sought by the public, or by the studio heads, but in general, when general decorum and comportment in public where so much higher in the Golden Days than they are now, even just a modicum of class and restraint could fool many into believing that you were indeed smarter than you might really be. As the poster above said, an air of mystique and inaccessibility likely contribute to an "intelligent" public persona. Plus, elevating yourself and your status in life were generally valued back then. Nowadays, debasing yourself, a la the Kardashians is laudable.

by Anonymousreply 19August 17, 2022 1:50 PM

Also, OP, why that picture of The Merm? She always struck me as a hard-working, loyal, talented gal...especially the way she treated her old friends at the bottom (as equals, going back regularly to visit and hang out) once she'd made it to the top. Okay, maybe her disco album betrays a serious lapse in judgement 🤣, so touché

by Anonymousreply 20August 17, 2022 1:53 PM

Jessica Simpson.

by Anonymousreply 21August 17, 2022 1:55 PM

Anne Margaret, Elvis, Van Johnson, Marilyn Monroe, Tyrone Power and Rock Hudson.

No offense intended. They were all great talents or lookers.

by Anonymousreply 22August 17, 2022 2:01 PM

[quote]Anne Margaret,

Pot, meet kettle.

by Anonymousreply 23August 17, 2022 2:57 PM

Ryan Lochte (today)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 17, 2022 3:05 PM

You have to differentiate between being smart and being savvy. A lot of actors in Golden Age Hollywood (and Broadway) started working when they were children or teenagers, and barely got through seventh grade in school. But they certainly learned, in the School of Hard Knocks, how to get ahead in the business. They might not have known how to balance an equation or spell correctly, but they made damn sure that no one got the best of them in contract negotiations or billing.

by Anonymousreply 25August 17, 2022 3:29 PM

Good point, R25, Drew Barrymore has a second grade education, if that, and yet her career would suggest that she clearly knows what to do to stay visible in the business.

by Anonymousreply 26August 17, 2022 4:18 PM

R18

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 17, 2022 10:46 PM

Why are some dopes off-limits? Why is Anne-Margaret above and beyond the label "dumb?" I read her autobiography. Everyone who worked with her thought she was stupid and she none-too-soon realized their opinion.

Again, why? Why am I marked as dumb for calling someone dumb WHEN THE ENTIRE FUCKING THREAD IS DEVOTED TO NAMING DUMB ACTORS????

reply 23 Hypocrite.

Oh, and go fuck yourself, reply 23

by Anonymousreply 28August 18, 2022 11:02 AM

Veronica Lake was called Moronica Lake

by Anonymousreply 29August 18, 2022 11:07 AM

Was the golden age of hollywood really the 90s? Some people on here think so apparently. I can add this find from the link below:

"JLo is just plain stupid. Listen to an interview sometime which she is not able to be coached with responses, she will come off dumb as a rock. She' s definitely a smoker, my guess is the nonsmoking bs is a pr stunt of some kind....that is unless she gets so bored watching Ben play cards that she smokes to keep from falling asleep. Jennifer Lopez is at the tables many time with Affleck (a big time player), he plays cards, she smokes Marlboro Ultra Lights. To hear her in a normal conversation, you would think her IQ is 10 at best. Her smoking style isn' t anything special, but everytime I' ve seen her, she has been smoking at the tables."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 18, 2022 11:14 AM

R28 You're dumb because you don't seem to know that her name is ANN-MARGRET.

Among other things.

by Anonymousreply 31August 18, 2022 11:37 AM

Lana Turner

by Anonymousreply 32August 18, 2022 11:41 AM

Anne Miller

by Anonymousreply 33August 20, 2022 8:42 AM

[quote]reply 23 Hypocrite. Oh, and go fuck yourself, reply 23

No one's used "reply" on DL this century. Sounds like you've been fucking YOURSELF.

by Anonymousreply 34August 20, 2022 8:53 AM

[quote]Cher famously thought the president's faces on Mount Rushmore happened naturally.

Sonny made that joke and she repeated it at his funeral, but it was obviously a joke and not something that really happened.

by Anonymousreply 35August 20, 2022 8:59 AM

Elmer Fudd, he could never pull one over on that rascal rabbit...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 20, 2022 8:59 AM

There's also a difference between being stupid and being "basic".

I wouldn't consider Ethel Merman to be stupid but she wasn't an intellectual....at all. That's true of lots of people (and quite a few celebrities).

by Anonymousreply 37August 20, 2022 9:25 AM

There's street smarts and there's book smarts. Hollywood survivors seem to have a lot of street smarts

by Anonymousreply 38August 20, 2022 9:41 AM

I think lots of actresses were pigeonholed as "stupid" on a whim by whichever semi-influential person happened to resent them on any given day - I also think a lot of people confuse being unpretentious or quirky with "stupidity" when they're in a particularly uncharitable mood.

by Anonymousreply 39August 20, 2022 10:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!