Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Very short lived TV shows you remember, but are pretty much forgotten

South Central-90s show that aired on Fox for 10 episodes. Premise was about a single mother and her kids living in South Central L.A.

Miracles-early 2000s show that aired on ABC

by Anonymousreply 600August 22, 2022 5:19 AM

Maggie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 16, 2022 2:09 PM

This

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 16, 2022 2:11 PM

Glynis, starring Glynis Johns, with whom you may be more familiar from Sondheim's A Little Night Music, and her version (my favorite) of "Send in the Clowns."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 16, 2022 2:14 PM

My Mother the Car. Stupid premise that Jerry Van Dyke's mother was reincarnated as an antique car. Car was the voice of Ann Southern. You can find episodes on YouTube. But have several drinks first.

by Anonymousreply 4August 16, 2022 2:14 PM

Brain Dead- a wicked satire on people getting taken over by aliens, which intensifies their beliefs so they become super left or right leaning politically. It was a great reflection on #45's rise to power.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 16, 2022 2:14 PM

Two Marriages. Great theme song. Pre-Growing Pains Kirk Cameron. It was well-done show and was supposed to be "Family" for the 1980s, but it never caught on. I thought Tom Mason was hot. Karen Carlson was all over the place in the 1980s, but she never had a hit show. I loved it, but I'm sure I'm the only person who remembers it fondly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 16, 2022 2:14 PM

David Naughton in all his Disco bitchenness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 16, 2022 2:16 PM

Grand, a sharply written sitcom parody of soaps that was moderately successful as a mid-season replacement in the spring of 1990 (it ranked #15 for the 89-90 season); NBC vacillated on renewing the series, some cast members and behind-the-scenes people took other jobs, so that when the network did renew the show, it had to be extensively re-written; for the second season, they stupidly abandoned the serialized format, ratings plummeted, then they tried to go back to the serialized format, but it was too late, and NBC pulled the plug in December 1990.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 16, 2022 2:18 PM

High Society (1995-96), an Absolutely Fabulous rip-off starring Mary McDonnell and Jean Smart that was actually quite funny. All 13 episodes are available on YouTube:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 16, 2022 2:21 PM

Shirey's World

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 16, 2022 2:23 PM

Out Of The Blue

The angel from a Happy Days episode had a Mork and Mindy crossover episode and got his own series…why?

I remember the lead guy looked creepy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 16, 2022 2:26 PM

I loved “Head Case”. Alexandra Wentworth plays a self-centered therapist to the stars (with real celebs ad libbing sessions). But the best part was the supporting cast, so funny. Steve Landsberg was the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 16, 2022 2:27 PM

A comedy called Doctor, Doctor that I think was on Fox. It was absolutely hilarious. I think it aired in the late 80s.

by Anonymousreply 13August 16, 2022 2:28 PM

"Filthy Rich" with pre-Designing Women Delta Burke and Dixie Carter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 16, 2022 2:28 PM

Picket Fences. Loved that show. Sadly, it isn't on any streaming platforms.

by Anonymousreply 15August 16, 2022 2:33 PM

r13, Doctor Doctor aired on CBS for 3 seasons (1989-91). Notably for being Matt Frewer's first show after Max Headroom and for featuring a gay man as a supporting character -- back when GLAAD still focused on representation of gay men and lesbians in the media, Doctor Doctor won the Best Comedy series in the first two years of their GLAAD Media Awards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 16, 2022 2:33 PM

r15, I believe that's on hulu

by Anonymousreply 17August 16, 2022 2:35 PM

Dirty Sexy Money

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 16, 2022 2:36 PM

Get a Life: Chris Elliott as a 30-year-old paperboy who lived with his parents

Herman’s Head: Basically a live action version of Inside Out, but made 25 years earlier

Duckman: Jason Alexander voiced a cartoon duck who was a private investigator…dark humor with heart

Weird Science: TV show based on the movie…it was hilarious

by Anonymousreply 19August 16, 2022 2:36 PM

Hot L Baltimore is the granddaddy in this category

by Anonymousreply 20August 16, 2022 2:37 PM

GCB’ or as it was originally called. ‘Good Christrin Bitches’ Annie Potts and Kristen Chenoweth were part of an ensemble cast about rich, Christian women in Dallas, TX.

It was doomed from the start, though. Seems the Christian wornen resented being called bitches.

by Anonymousreply 21August 16, 2022 2:37 PM

Swingtown

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 16, 2022 2:37 PM

I remember watching "Parker Lewis can't lose with my brothers. Probably the last show we watched and enjoyed together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 16, 2022 2:37 PM

The 5 Mrs Buchanan’s with Judith Ivey and Harriet Harris. Loved it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 16, 2022 2:39 PM

It never fails that any thread which asks people to post very specific examples of something gets inundated with the wrong answers because people are too stupid to live, let alone read a sentence before rushing to get their thoughts down. Picket Fences, Parker Lewis Can't Lose and several other titles on here were not very short lived. They ran multiple seasons.

by Anonymousreply 25August 16, 2022 2:39 PM

R17 Wow, thank you!

by Anonymousreply 26August 16, 2022 2:40 PM

R24 LOLOLOLOLO I was literally typing that one when you posted. Great choice.

by Anonymousreply 27August 16, 2022 2:40 PM

Strangers with Candy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 16, 2022 2:40 PM

We used to watch this show with my entire family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 16, 2022 2:41 PM

I LOVED GCB's r21!

My favorite short liveds were: Powers that be (although r25 will likely be upset by that inclusion as it ran 2 seasons) and the oblongs

by Anonymousreply 30August 16, 2022 2:42 PM

"The Tammy Grimes Show". Really awful featuring Dick Sargent, who showed he wasn't a very good actor well before being the Second Darrin (and doing basically the same schtick in this role).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 16, 2022 2:43 PM

Titans, Aaron Spelling's attempt to make a Dynasty for the nineties. I enjoyed it and the cast was gorgeous, but it was stupid. It also introduced me to The West Wing which followed it and is still one of my favorite shows of all time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 16, 2022 2:44 PM

"Turn On". A Laugh-In ripoff. I think it may have been cancelled during the airing of the first episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 16, 2022 2:44 PM

The classic, Frank's Place. Boston professor inherits bar in New Orleans. Episodes are on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 34August 16, 2022 2:44 PM

Nobody died and left r25 Hall Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 35August 16, 2022 2:47 PM

Me and Mom. It aired on ABC. Starred Lisa Eilbacher as a detective and Holland Taylor as her mom who would get involved in her cases.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 16, 2022 2:52 PM

‘Hollywood Beat’. It was a cop show, but it also started former Oakland Raider, John Matuszak as a bartender in a gay bar.

by Anonymousreply 37August 16, 2022 2:57 PM

R36 Holland Taylor has had a British dame type career. She spent much of her younger years constantly working but not being a star, until she got old.

by Anonymousreply 38August 16, 2022 2:58 PM

DEAR ALEX AND ANNIE ("I'm DESPERATE!")

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 16, 2022 3:01 PM

I think Strangers With Candy qualifies as a cult classic. They'd never get away with most of the stuff they did on that show today and I doubt it's being re-run anywhere.

The Baxters was a weird syndicated sitcom that had two incarnations. The first season in 1979 was produced at WCVB in Boston and the show featured a live audience discussion session at the end of the episode of the issues presented. Norman Lear then bought it and moved the production to Canada with an entirely different cast as "The Baxters".

I remember watching Dear Alex & Annie on Saturday afternoons. Another strange only in the 70s show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 16, 2022 3:03 PM

[quote]Get a Life: Chris Elliott as a 30-year-old paperboy who lived with his parents

I really liked that show. I know a lot of people loathe Chris Elliott, but I think he's underrated which is unpopular opinion. I loved the parody episode of ET and how that ended.

by Anonymousreply 41August 16, 2022 3:08 PM

I think the entire viewing audience of "Filthy Rich" is on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 42August 16, 2022 3:12 PM

I was like 4 when this came out (and promptly disappeared forever), but I have never forgotten it. Yes, this really was a prime-time sitcom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 16, 2022 3:13 PM

Phenom-ABC sitcom about a teen trying to become a tennis star. Judith Light played her mother and William DeVane played her asshole coach. He was quite entertaining in the role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 16, 2022 3:14 PM

R15 Rescue chick is right, it's on hulu and I added it to my stuff because I plan to watch it someday.

by Anonymousreply 45August 16, 2022 3:23 PM

Straight Plan for the Gay Man, only 3 episodes, on Comedy Central. It was the opposite of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy and it was hilarious. I wish I could find it.

by Anonymousreply 46August 16, 2022 3:27 PM

Bette, starring The Divine Miss M, in which she played herself. I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 47August 16, 2022 3:28 PM

The reboot of Dallas - Dallas 2012. I loved Joshua Henderson, Judith Light, and Mitch Pileggi, and think they could have carried it even after Larry Hagman died.

Larry, as JR Ewing, was EPIC. He was old and frail; he was dying of cancer. I cried like a little girl when I heard he had died.

by Anonymousreply 48August 16, 2022 3:31 PM

Central Park West, written by Darren Starr, starring Madchen Amick and John Barrowman at his most beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 49August 16, 2022 3:33 PM

Andy Richter Controls the Universe. Absolutely hate Richter in everything except this. Funny as hell, but lasted one season (2002-2003).

Legacy. A cheesy quasi-western with Brett Cullen that ran from 1998-1999 on UPN.

by Anonymousreply 50August 16, 2022 3:36 PM

[quote] Me and Mom. It aired on ABC. Starred Lisa Eilbacher as a detective and Holland Taylor as her mom who would get involved in her cases.

This should be "rebooted" today, but with Sarah Paulson as the detective and Holland as her much older overbearing annoying wife.

by Anonymousreply 51August 16, 2022 3:37 PM

I, too, loved The Powers That Be.

I also loved Grand, which I think was on NBC around the same time in the early 90s.

by Anonymousreply 52August 16, 2022 3:39 PM

R48 Judith Light was WONDERFUL on the new DALLAS. It was like she thought, ok, I'm playing a matriarch on Dallas, I know I'll be the anti-Ms. Ellie.

by Anonymousreply 53August 16, 2022 3:41 PM

I think The Monroes, which was some kind of political drama starring Susan Sullivan, had the distinction of lasting for only one episode.

There was also a CBS sitcom a few years ago called Bad Teacher, which I think also only aired one episode, but it could have been more than one.

Pre-Gilmore Girls show killer Lauren Graham starred in three short-lived series: Townies, M.Y.O.B., and a third one whose name escapes me.

by Anonymousreply 54August 16, 2022 3:45 PM

It's Your Move with a young Jason Bateman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 16, 2022 3:47 PM

It's your Move was so fucking great! Norman Lamb played by Marcy's husband on Married with Children, not the cute one, the first one. And Tricia Cast from TYATR.

by Anonymousreply 56August 16, 2022 3:51 PM

Cicely Tyson and Melissa Gilbert had a one season legal show called Sweet Justice. It was a decent show.

by Anonymousreply 57August 16, 2022 3:51 PM

Savannah was a primetime soap and The WB's answer to Melrose Place when the genre had it's mini-revival in the mid-90s.

by Anonymousreply 58August 16, 2022 3:54 PM

Ned & Stacey with post-Wings Thomas Hayden-Church and pre-Will & Grace Debra Messing

Teen Angel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 16, 2022 3:59 PM

[quote]I really liked that show. I know a lot of people loathe Chris Elliott, but I think he's underrated which is unpopular opinion. I loved the parody episode of ET and how that ended.

Chris Elliott seems to be typecast, he played a similar character on Everybody Loves Raymond. Chris' character Peter lived at home with his ultra religious parents, his character owned a comic book store. His character was the brother of Robert's wife Amy.

Peter's parents were played by the late Fred Willard and the late Georgia Engel. I just realized, ALL the performers who played parents on that series are now dead, besides the ones listed above, Robert Culp and Katherine Helmond are gone as well as Peter Boyle and Doris Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 60August 16, 2022 4:00 PM

North Shore was on Fox for season in the mid 2000s. It was set in Hawaii and was failed attempt at a primetime soap. It also starred Krisoffer Polaha who has been on bunch of 1 season flop shows.

by Anonymousreply 61August 16, 2022 4:00 PM

NBC kept trying to ape the success CBS and ABC had with prime-time soaps, but kept failing: Flamingo Road (the longest running one, 1981-82), Bare Essence (1983), and Berrenger's (1985).

by Anonymousreply 62August 16, 2022 4:00 PM

r13/r16 I remember that series, short as it was. Several episodes are on YouTube, and I watch them every so often. The nurse/receptionist, Faye, woulda' been a DLer for sure.

r34 Terrific series and a wonderful ensemble cast. Lots of thought-provoking and topical plot lines. Conchata Farrell's stint as a ball-busting' Southern lawyer was outstanding. The "brown bag" episode was riveting.

r54 I remember a series called "The Monroes" about 5 orphans struggling out West (in the 1800's) after their parents died. Hunk-in-training Michael Anderson was a big draw for me.

That series with Jason Bateman and Alex Mapa was pretty good, never found its audience I guess?

"Oops! was about a diverse group of a global nuclear bomb(?) survivors.

by Anonymousreply 63August 16, 2022 4:01 PM

The Pruitts of Southhampton, a short lived series starring Phyllis Diller, John Deacon, Paul Lynde, Marty Engels and John Astin.

"The Pruitts, a supposedly incredibly wealthy family living on Long Island in the Hamptons, have been approached by the Internal Revenue Service about overdue taxes. An audit revealed that the Pruitts were in fact broke. Rather than reveal this fact publicly and cause the economic depression which would presumably result, an improbably charitable IRS allowed them to continue living in their mansion and maintaining the pretensions of great wealth, which was difficult given their reduced circumstances. By mid-season, in order to raise more money, Phyllis Pruitt had opened the mansion to boarders, attracting a "nutty" collection of tenants as well, a group that included Paul Lynde as her hopeless brother, John Astin as her brother-in-law, and Marty Ingels as a handyman."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64August 16, 2022 4:04 PM

Good topic OP. Adding to watchlist.

by Anonymousreply 65August 16, 2022 4:07 PM

R64 The house used for the outside is the famous Biltmore House in Asheville, NC.

by Anonymousreply 66August 16, 2022 4:07 PM

My World and Welcome To It.

Starring William Windom, and having a solid cast. This sophisticated show's struggle to continue wasn't helped by the fact that it was preempted a couple of times by news events.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67August 16, 2022 4:11 PM

Cover-up (1984) A female photographer and an ex-special ops tough guy posing as her model take on nefarious shenanigans! Star Jon-Erik Hexum died after fucking around with a prop gun on set. His role was replaced but it wasn’t the same and the series was cancelled after one season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 16, 2022 4:15 PM

Secrets of Midland Heights

This is a show that my parents would never let me watch in a million years. But for some reason, my parents were out the night it premiered and my brothers were not monopolizing the one tv in our house. I sat down to watch it and my teenage self decided this was going to be my show. 🙌🏻Unfortunately, the next week, I couldn’t watch it and it was cancelled a few weeks later. 😭

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69August 16, 2022 4:24 PM

Best Friends Forever (2012) starring Lennon Parham and Jessica St. Clair. It only lasted six episodes before being cancelled but I remember really enjoying it. It’s about Jessica getting a divorce and moving in with Lennon and her boyfriend while she figures out what to do with her life.

It was retooled into Playing House which made it to two seasons. I preferred BFF because the latter relies more on quirky characters.

I cannot find the episodes anywhere. The only thing that shows is buying the episodes but links just show ‘unavailable’.

by Anonymousreply 70August 16, 2022 4:33 PM

Day by Day - I was in love with that son

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71August 16, 2022 4:36 PM

Profit with Adrian Pasdar. For some reason, I always confuse him with Gabriel Macht from Suits. I loved Profit and I loved Suits.

Interesting how this got cancelled partially because of Wall Street backlash however, the Sopranos (granted, on pay cable) went through the same with Italians and the "Mafia," but went on for a shit ton of season compared to the 1 season for Profit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72August 16, 2022 4:37 PM

Bracken's World!!!

by Anonymousreply 73August 16, 2022 4:43 PM

"Legmen" from 1984 - I seem to be the only person who watched it. And I watched every episode, because of the beautiful John Terlesky. There are some episodes on Youtube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74August 16, 2022 4:48 PM

Models, Inc., starring the wonderful Linda Gray.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75August 16, 2022 4:52 PM

There was a very very short lived show called "Dear Teacher" back in 1981. I watched the TV Movie Pilot, and it was canceled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 16, 2022 4:55 PM

r69, were you able to watch the re-tooled version called King's Crossing, which similarly lasted only a few episodes?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77August 16, 2022 4:56 PM

R71 Wasn't that the show that had a dream sequence where the kid dreamt they were the Brady Bunch? And he made a comment about how the Bradys are always fixing but never riding their bikes? My brother and I loved the Brady Bunch and we thought that was so funny.

by Anonymousreply 78August 16, 2022 5:00 PM

Dead Like Me, which was a black comedy starring Mandy Patinkin and Ellen Muth. It was really funny and sarcastic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79August 16, 2022 5:06 PM

Dead Like Me is great! It was on Hulu too, it may still be.

by Anonymousreply 80August 16, 2022 5:07 PM

Dead Like Me also ran for more than one season and had an HBO movie so it doesn’t qualify.

by Anonymousreply 81August 16, 2022 5:09 PM

Thank you! R81, as if I'd fucking be on some short lived, loser show!

by Anonymousreply 82August 16, 2022 5:11 PM

The Second Hundred Years: not sure exactly why, but someone who is frozen, played by Monte Markham comes back to life and lives with his grandson I think played by Arthur O’Connell. I was captivated by it but it only lasted one season.

by Anonymousreply 83August 16, 2022 5:13 PM

Q.E.D. with Sam Waterston and A.C. Weary Teachers Only with Lynn Redgrave Salvage 1 with Andy Griffith, Joel Higgins and Trish Stewart Best of the West with Joel Higgins

by Anonymousreply 84August 16, 2022 5:15 PM

The Zoo Gang (1974). One season, six episodes. A crime/mystery drama that featured Brian Keith, and the theme music was credited to Paul and Linda McCartney. I don't think I've ever seen or heard it mentioned anywhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85August 16, 2022 5:16 PM

Mr. Merlin - Clark Brandon was hot hot hot.

Salvage-1- Andy Griffith builds a rocket.

Wonderfalls- quirky fun show.

by Anonymousreply 86August 16, 2022 5:18 PM

"Goodnight, Beantown" with Bill Bixby, Marriette Hartley and Tracey Gold (pre-Growing Pains). Technically ran for 1.5 seasons )1983-1984), but only had 18 episodes. I had just moved to Boston and loved it.

by Anonymousreply 87August 16, 2022 5:20 PM

R6, never heard of that one, but OMG, "Louanne" deserves to be a DL meme.

by Anonymousreply 88August 16, 2022 5:26 PM

And here's all about Louanne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89August 16, 2022 5:28 PM

Camp Runamuck...... It was hilarious..I just checked it on IMDB and it raged a 7.8

by Anonymousreply 90August 16, 2022 5:28 PM

^^ RATED^^^

by Anonymousreply 91August 16, 2022 5:29 PM

If fat Roseanne could be a hit.... a show with fat women is GUARANTEED to be a smash.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92August 16, 2022 5:31 PM

"Rubicon", which AMC cancelled to free up budget for their dumb zombie shows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93August 16, 2022 5:33 PM

r84, I loved Q.E.D. when I was a kid. I suspect the TV guide ad was written by a fabulous gay man:

AT LAST! Action on a Grand Scale! Humor with Style! Adventure in Generous Measure!

From now on, I'm going to refer to my sex life as "Adventure in Generous Measure!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94August 16, 2022 5:36 PM

R88 I like me better!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95August 16, 2022 5:36 PM

OMG R92, that brings back such bitchy memories. I was a senior in HS in San Diego when that show was on and we actually did watch it. There was also a crew of chubby chicks that hung out together at my school and some people called them "babes"

by Anonymousreply 96August 16, 2022 5:38 PM

Savannah- aired on WB in the 90s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97August 16, 2022 5:38 PM

American Gothic- series starring Gary Cole

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98August 16, 2022 5:40 PM

Legacy- aired on the 90s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99August 16, 2022 5:40 PM

The Feather and Father Gang, with Mrs. Hart and Mr. Morgenstern/Miles

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100August 16, 2022 5:41 PM

American Gothic is peak Gary Cole! I just bought it on amazon during lockdown, it was pretty good. Paige Turco is a doll in real life and she was great on it. I don't know why it was cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 101August 16, 2022 5:42 PM

Back in 1979, when I was nine years old, there was a TV Show called Friends. It starred Love Boat cutie, and DL fave Jill Whelan, and was about 11 year olds in Southern California.

It was cancelled after five episodes, and I was VERY upset when my mother told me that it wouldn't be on any more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102August 16, 2022 5:42 PM

Mr. T & Tina ... no--not THAT Mr. T.

This one had Arnold from "Happy Days" (and Mr. Miyagi), Susan Blanchard from "All My Children," DL fave Pat Suzuki, and Isaac the Bartender (Ted Lange.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103August 16, 2022 5:44 PM

R90, funny that you mentioned Camp Runamok because I [italic]just[/italic] watched a video essay (?) about the show (and the Viacom v. HBO beef).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104August 16, 2022 5:47 PM

The Family Holvak starring Glenn Ford as a country preacher and Julie Harris as his wife.

by Anonymousreply 105August 16, 2022 5:47 PM

R102, that show name sounds familiar...is there another show with that title?

by Anonymousreply 106August 16, 2022 5:48 PM

"Emily's Reasons Why Not," the Heather Graham vehicle that had the embarrassing situation of a Parade magazine cover story promoting the show coming out AFTER it was unceremoniously cancelled after the pilot was aired.

by Anonymousreply 107August 16, 2022 5:49 PM

Pink Lady (and Jeff). A weird ass variety show from the early 80s that started Jeff Altman, that Varney creature and two Japanese singers who didn’t speak English well at all. Not even sure if it made it past a few episodes it was that big of a train wreck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108August 16, 2022 5:51 PM

R108 I adored Pink Lady. It's still worth a watch if you smoke a joint and watch this YouTube dedication channel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109August 16, 2022 5:55 PM

I just read the wiki that I linked to, R109. Apparently, it was an even bigger train wreck behind the scene and Pink Lady didn’t speak English at all…a fact that the Krofts were completely unaware of at the time.

by Anonymousreply 110August 16, 2022 5:58 PM

If Sister Kate was already mentioned, I apologize.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111August 16, 2022 5:59 PM

South of Sunset - Only aire one episode. I watched it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112August 16, 2022 6:02 PM

"My Mother the Car" used to be on TV Land or ME right before this show. I do love the guy from "Car 54, where are you?".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113August 16, 2022 6:06 PM

Every soap fans wet dream in 1992...

2000 Malibu Road

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114August 16, 2022 6:08 PM

R113 - It's about time, it's about space. It's about time to slap your face!

by Anonymousreply 115August 16, 2022 6:10 PM

r111 Not to be confused with another Sister Kate . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116August 16, 2022 6:19 PM

Keeping with my love of failed LIsa Eilbacher shows was "Ryan's Four". A medical drama with Tom Skerritt and Tim Daly

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117August 16, 2022 6:21 PM

Almost Grown, 1988 starring Mr Tim Daly

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118August 16, 2022 6:28 PM

Supertrain!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119August 16, 2022 6:28 PM

During the 2009-10 season, there was a great show called “Mercy.” But it got canceled sadly even though it was really good.

by Anonymousreply 120August 16, 2022 6:29 PM

Young Americans (2000) which was a spinoff from Dawsons Creek

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121August 16, 2022 6:33 PM

Jack & Mike starring Shelley Hack

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122August 16, 2022 6:37 PM

Cutter to Houston starring Shelley Hack & Alec Baldwin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123August 16, 2022 6:38 PM

[quote]Dead Like Me also ran for more than one season and had an HBO movie so it doesn’t qualify.

Dead Like Me was aired on Showtime, not HBO. It's also starred DL fave Jasmine Guy.

by Anonymousreply 124August 16, 2022 6:39 PM

Madame’s Place

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125August 16, 2022 6:41 PM

Supposedly there was some controversy about The Pruitts of Southhampton, the rich people in that area of NY were protesting the way they were being depicted.

by Anonymousreply 126August 16, 2022 6:41 PM

"That's My Bush", the "South Park" guys' spoof of '80s sitcoms set in the early days of the Bush presidency. I feel like it launched with tons of fanfare, decent reviews, and then basically vanished. Supposedly it was canceled because it was expensive to produce, although it always looked pretty cheap to me. Everyone pretty much agrees, though, that it never would have worked after 9/11 anyway. Also, Bush's catchphrase was "One of these days, Laura, I'm gonna punch you in the face!" It was meant as a spoof of "The Honeymooners", but would also probably not fly today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127August 16, 2022 6:41 PM

The Family Man was CBS's version of Full House. Gregory Harrison played a widower whose father in law moves in to help him with the kids. On this show, he had three sons and a daughter. It was also made by Miller-Boyett.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128August 16, 2022 6:42 PM

"My So Called Life" aired for one season, but not really forgotten mainly because of the cast, Jared Leto, Claire Danes.

by Anonymousreply 129August 16, 2022 6:45 PM

Wrong thread then r129

by Anonymousreply 130August 16, 2022 6:48 PM

Ellen

by Anonymousreply 131August 16, 2022 6:50 PM

Jasmine Guy was the best thing about Dead Like Me.

by Anonymousreply 132August 16, 2022 6:51 PM

R129 and that is the most realistic show about high school until Euphoria came along. It was critically acclaimed and cult favorite among my friends when we're in high school in the mid aughts.

by Anonymousreply 133August 16, 2022 6:53 PM

God help us if Euphoria is realistic.

by Anonymousreply 134August 16, 2022 6:54 PM

During FOX's first season, they ran a show called Werewolf. It reminded 11 year-old me of the Incredible Hulk on steroids. John J. York was cute. Chuck Connors was terrifying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135August 16, 2022 6:54 PM

Moon Over Miami, with Billy Campbell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136August 16, 2022 6:59 PM

R134, how old are you?

by Anonymousreply 137August 16, 2022 7:05 PM

James at 15. Can’t remember if there was a second season with James at 16 but I’m sure that was the intention.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138August 16, 2022 7:17 PM

R138, yes there was because on the intro they just crossed out 15 and put 16.

by Anonymousreply 139August 16, 2022 7:24 PM

R72, it got canceled because of low ratings, not any kind of a backlash. The Sopranos was a huge hit, not sure why you think there's any comparison

by Anonymousreply 140August 16, 2022 7:30 PM

Beacon Hill, which was kind of the American Upstairs Downstairs

by Anonymousreply 141August 16, 2022 7:33 PM

Homefront ran on CBS from 1991-1993

starring an incredibly hot young Kyle Chandler

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142August 16, 2022 7:45 PM

Kyle Chandler is a beautiful man.

by Anonymousreply 143August 16, 2022 7:48 PM

Homefront was really good

by Anonymousreply 144August 16, 2022 7:53 PM

It's About Time

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145August 16, 2022 7:58 PM

The Adventures of Brisco County Jr starring Bruce Campbell who I would watch in anything. Western / comedy with sci-fi elements toward the end of its one season run. Had a considerable cult following, largely due to Campbell who had previously starred in the Evil Dead movies, but not enough to draw a huge audience,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146August 16, 2022 7:58 PM

I saw an early episode of Bristo County Jr. I tuned in due to Sheena Easton being a guest star on it.

by Anonymousreply 147August 16, 2022 8:03 PM

Herman's Head

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148August 16, 2022 8:31 PM

The Passage. Modern day vampires started by a plague.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149August 16, 2022 8:41 PM

1996- Kindred: The Embraced. More vampires, cool clans: Nosferatus, the magic users, the warriors, the elite, the berserkers. I liked it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150August 16, 2022 8:46 PM

R140, what your wrote is true. Profit was cancelled because of low ratings. I was comparing the backlash both shows received. From what I read on Wiki, the show lost viewers DURING the initial 2-hour episode!

by Anonymousreply 151August 16, 2022 8:47 PM

I give you the deliciously terrible "Dante's Cove".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152August 16, 2022 8:49 PM

Someone upstream mentioned Hot L Baltimore. Here's the TV promo from 1975. It was a Norman Lear show staring Conchata Ferrell (Berta, pre-Two and a Half Men), Charlotte Rae and Richard Masur.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153August 16, 2022 10:03 PM

Golden Palace

by Anonymousreply 154August 16, 2022 10:15 PM

Golden Palace is on Hulu now. I watched them all the night it was added. James at 15 is great, it also has Kim Richards and the og little cunt on the prairie, Melissa Sue Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 155August 16, 2022 10:43 PM

Whitney, the shitty short-lived sitcom with unfunny Whitney Cummings and unfunny asshole Chris D'elia. Got tons of media promotion.

Neighbors from Hell, a TBS cartoon that wasn't very funny.

Ugly Americans, a Comedy Central cartoon that was actually pretty funny with a creative setting. That got cancelled too soon.

Alan Gregory, one of the worst Fox cartoons ever. I believe Wikipedia has it listed on the page of worst received television shows of all time.

Freddie, a sitcom with Freddie Prinze Jr and Brian Austin Green. I just remember the crossover with George Lopez. Wasn't funny either.

by Anonymousreply 156August 16, 2022 10:49 PM

Quintuplets, a Fox sitcom about teen quintuplets, weird premise. Wasn't bad.

The War at Home, another Fox sitcom. I really liked this show as a teen but I didn't age well watching it again recently. It was a bootleg Married with Children but all the characters aren't as funny and you hate them. I first knew Rami Malek from this and loved his character Kenny, a positively portrayed gay character though he had a crush on his ugly nerdy friend. Michael Rapaport who plays the un-PC dad is so obnoxious and unfunny, he is better in small doses like in True Romance and Bamboozled. Kenny is the only reason to watch this.

Complete Savages, an ABC sitcom about five blonde-haired blue-eyed brothers with a single dad played by Keith Carradine. Would definitely be a DL fav because of the cute twinks like Shawn Sipos and Erik Von Detten. Produced by trash Mel Gibson. I enjoyed every minute as it was funny and a mix of Malcolm in the Middle and Grounded for Life. Also Erik Von D shirtless.

by Anonymousreply 157August 16, 2022 10:59 PM

Agree, R157. Rapaport really shits up the proceedings on the new season of "Only Murders in the Building".

by Anonymousreply 158August 16, 2022 11:02 PM

Terra Nova

by Anonymousreply 159August 16, 2022 11:02 PM

[quote]Shirey's World

BIG in Asia.

by Anonymousreply 160August 16, 2022 11:11 PM

Life on Mars

by Anonymousreply 161August 16, 2022 11:12 PM

Brotherly Love with the Lawrence brothers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162August 16, 2022 11:23 PM

R162 Joey's ass was piece of art

by Anonymousreply 163August 16, 2022 11:25 PM

Quark - The misadventures of an outer space garbage collector and his crew.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164August 16, 2022 11:29 PM

R164, I wonder if that show inspired the computer game Space Quest?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165August 16, 2022 11:35 PM

"The Yellow Rose"

Primetime soap opera revolving around familial conflicts on a 200,000 acre ranch in Texas. (It was like a cross between "The Big Valley" and "Dallas".) It lasted only a season but had a really interesting cast: Sam Elliott, David Soul, Edward Albert, Chuck Connors, and a pre-"Moonlighting" Cybill Shepherd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166August 16, 2022 11:42 PM

Reaper with hot twink Bret Harrison. Shame it didn't find an audience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167August 16, 2022 11:54 PM

Aliens in America, a wholesome sitcom about a Muslim Pakistani exchange student who learns how to fit into America with his white exchange family

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168August 17, 2022 12:06 AM

“The Man in the Family,” starring the late Ray Sharkey. It also featured a young Leah Remini.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169August 17, 2022 12:10 AM

The now defunct WB network had a bunch of one season shows that I watched. I know I'm cheesy as fuck.

Related was a one hour dramedy about a group of four sisters living in Brooklyn. Jennifer Esposito, Kiele Sanchez, Lizzy Caplan, and Laura Breckenridge played the sisters. Tom Irwin played their father and Christine Ebersole played their stepmother. There was a Thanksgiving episode that featured Dana Delaney as their mother in flashbacks.

Twins was a sitcom that focused on fraternal twin sisters played by Sara Gilbert and Molly Stanton. The plot was that they were running some kind of underwear company started by their parents who were played by Melanie Griffith and Mark Linn Baker. Sara was set up as the twin who took after the geeky dad and Molly was set up as the twin who took after the ditzy mom.

Do Over was a time travel type show where the main character traveled back to his teen years in the 80s. Penn Badgley played the main character.

The Family Affair remake with Gary Cole as Uncle Bill.

Raising Dad was basically Bob Saget doing another Full House type sitcom. Brie Larson and Kat Dennings played his daughters.

by Anonymousreply 170August 17, 2022 12:15 AM

I fear, "The Nevers" will only be one season. Probably because Whedon was Me Tooed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171August 17, 2022 12:21 AM

I watched all of the following shows:

Persons Unknown - short lived NBC suspense show from 2010, where a bunch of folks wake up in a deserted town that is wired with cameras, and you get shot if you try to escape. It lasted 13 episodes. One of the cast was Chadwick Boseman.

Crisis - Another NBC dud that only lasted 13 episodes. This was in 2014; it starred Dermot Mulroney. All I remember is some shady faction kidnapped the kid of a government official, thus creating an international crisis. Gillian Anderson was also in this.

Do No Harm - a 3rd NBC stinker that made it to lucky 13. This mess followed a doctor who had a split personality - good and evil. This was a modern take on the Jekyll and Hyde story. *This show was laughably bad*

The Family - Rupert Graves and Joan Allen are a couple whose son , who was presumed murdered years ago, returns home. The boy is now a man and the happy family slowly realizes that the person in their house may not be the person they think. This was ABC - lasted 12 episodes. Andrew McCarthy costars as the town creep, who people side-eyed when the boy first disappeared.

The Returned - ABC show with the premise: A small town is amazed when their dead relatives come back. but the joy is short-lived when things start to go bad. Lasted 10 episodes, 2015.

by Anonymousreply 172August 17, 2022 12:58 AM

Or because no one watches it, r171

by Anonymousreply 173August 17, 2022 12:59 AM

The CW had a one-season show called "Star-Crossed" where aliens came to earth. These aliens looked human, but were deemed to be dangerous and were put into internment camps. The CW made this into a Romeo and Juliet thing when a teen human girl fell in love with a teen alien boy years later when these aliens had been assimilated but still not 100% accepted.

by Anonymousreply 174August 17, 2022 1:13 AM

Viva Laughlin!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175August 17, 2022 1:15 AM

This wasn't too short lived. But, I remember that show Reasonable Doubts. It starred Marlee Matlin as a deaf prosecutor and Mark Harmon a cop who often acted her as sign language interpreter. It lasted two seasons though.

by Anonymousreply 176August 17, 2022 1:17 AM

“Best of the West,” starring a pre-Silver Spoons Joel Higgins and the late, great Leonard Frey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177August 17, 2022 1:19 AM

"ER," with George Clooney.

No, not THAT one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178August 17, 2022 1:25 AM

I realized the Writers Strike of 2007-2008 really killed a lot of TV shows.

by Anonymousreply 179August 17, 2022 1:33 AM

On Our Own with Bess Armstrong, Lynnie Greene and a vampy Dixie Carter. Deserved a longer life.

by Anonymousreply 180August 17, 2022 1:36 AM

Follow up to On Our Own - all episodes on Amazon Prime with ads.

by Anonymousreply 181August 17, 2022 1:39 AM

Picket Fences

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182August 17, 2022 2:01 AM

Back in 1975 Kurt Russell and Tim Matheson starred in a TV show set in the old West, called "The Quest". They played brothers who had been separated as kids after their family home was attacked by a hostile tribe; Kurt ended up being found and raised by a native American tribe. They reunite as young men and team up to find the rest of their sister, who they haven't seen since the fateful night.

This show pops up on some of those retro TV stations. I only caught a few episodes but this was Russell at his most handsome, blue eyes, long magnificent hair and wearing buckskin clothing that he grew up wearing from the tribe who raised him. This show is very reminiscent of Supernatural - two brothers alone on a mission, relying on each other. They even had a scene where they snuggle together under a blanket in the snow to keep warm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183August 17, 2022 2:05 AM

[quote]team up to find the rest of their sister

What parts of her did they already have?

by Anonymousreply 184August 17, 2022 2:06 AM

R184 beat me to my fix: They reunite as young men and team up to find the rest of their family - their sister

by Anonymousreply 185August 17, 2022 2:08 AM

The South Park guys' series about the Bush White House: That's My Bush. It was hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186August 17, 2022 2:09 AM

Manimal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187August 17, 2022 2:18 AM

Heather Graham in Emily’s Reasons Why Not cancelled after one episode. I saw it. Cute and Emily was very Carrie Bradshaw. No idea why the network didn’t give it a fair chance and air the other 5 episodes

by Anonymousreply 188August 17, 2022 2:30 AM

More Pruitts

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189August 17, 2022 2:35 AM

Does anyone remember Get Smart '95, the seven episode sequel series that aired on FOX in 95? Maxwell Smart and Agent 99 returned but they were joined by Andy Dick playing their son Zach Smart. And, Elaine Hendrix played his partner Agent 66.

by Anonymousreply 190August 17, 2022 3:09 AM

Id this has already been mentioned, I apologize. I haven't read the the thread, but the question made me immediately think of something:

"Starved" was a sitcom about people with eating disorders that lasted for one season. I remember loving it and thinking it was cool that they were examining the issue within the context of comedy. Very few people remember this show.

by Anonymousreply 191August 17, 2022 3:13 AM

Testees, a short-lived sitcom on FX about two guys who work as test subjects for extra cash. It was bizarre but funny.

by Anonymousreply 192August 17, 2022 3:15 AM

'Skeleton Warriors' - it was something like 13 episodes. The toy line failed and it was cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 193August 17, 2022 3:17 AM

WHET Charles (Filthy Rich) Frank?

by Anonymousreply 194August 17, 2022 3:41 AM

COP ROCK (1990) - Although it's hard to say that it's been forgotten, as it is one of the most memorable bombs in the history of TV. Whoever thought that adding musical numbers to a cop show made any sense? I must admit, however, that I watched all 11 episodes because (a) it was jaw-droppingly insane; and (b) I found Peter Onorati to be very hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195August 17, 2022 5:48 AM

Rubicon, a single season AMC show from 2010. It was a well-shot mystery about an intelligence analyst in NYC. I think the writers of Mr Robot watched it.

by Anonymousreply 196August 17, 2022 5:51 AM

Has anyone mentioned Eastwick? It was pretty good. Starred Rebecca Romijn, Veronica Cartwright, Jon Bernthal and Darren Criss.

by Anonymousreply 197August 17, 2022 6:06 AM

V

Mel Brooks' When Things Were Rotten

by Anonymousreply 198August 17, 2022 6:37 AM

I don’t know why I liked it so much, but there was a short-lived series on Fox called “Flying Blind,” in which Tea Leoni plays a beautiful free spirit who’s dating a neurotic recent college grad. It was basically “Dharma and Greg”….but several years before “Dharma and Greg.”

by Anonymousreply 199August 17, 2022 7:01 AM

[quote]Reaper with hot twink Bret Harrison. Shame it didn't find an audience.

Hollywood was trying hard to make Bret Harrison happen in the mid-late 2000s. He starred on a couple Fox shows I watched: The Loop and Breaking In. I remember enjoying both well enough at the time but damned if I can remember much about either now.

by Anonymousreply 200August 17, 2022 7:08 AM

Another guy from that era TV was pushing hard was Kyle Bornheimer. They gave him chance after chance in a string of failed shows. Worst Week was actually pretty funny and the billboards featured Kyle wrapped up in nothing but a plastic sheet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201August 17, 2022 7:12 AM

Double Trouble, starring the Sagal twins from Grease 2, lasted a season and a half in the mid-80s. One twin was shy and conservative, the other wild and crazy. The first season featured them living at home in Iowa with dad Donnelly Rhodes and his girlfriend/their dance teacher Patricia Richardson. They revamped the show for season 2, moving the twins to NYC to live with aunt Barbara Barrie and her 2 tenants (?), a goofy Lenny & Squiggy type pair. I assumed they were meant to be a gay couple but one of them ended up dating one of the twins toward the end of the series, foreshadowing Caroline In The City. The first season theme song is a great slice of 80s synthpop cheese

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202August 17, 2022 7:22 AM

Edgar Allen Poe's"Murders in the Rue Mclanahan"

Boy Meets Squirrel Mad About Jews Jiggles and The Monsignor Marry Me Mussolini An Unpleasant Family Richard Carpenter's Summer Fun Machine Incorporated

by Anonymousreply 203August 17, 2022 7:27 AM

Along with Eastwick, another forgotten Rebecca Romijn show is Pepper Dennis.

Also, Poltergeist: The Legacy. That one was really spooky paranormal show.

And those rather cheap Saturday afternoon shows from the 90s and 2000s like The Lost World, The Adventures of Brisco County Jr., Jack of All Trades, and Legend of the Seeker.

Dinosaurs with the dinosaur puppets living like blue collar workers. "Not the mama!"

by Anonymousreply 204August 17, 2022 8:02 AM

The Following starring Kevin Bacon. Lasted 2 or 3 seasons on Fox around 2013. I loved the show.

by Anonymousreply 205August 17, 2022 8:20 AM

"Now and Again". 22 episodes, 1999-2000

Created by Glenn Gordon Caron. Starring: Eric Close, the always fantastic Margaret Colin, Dennis Haysbert, Gerrit Graham & Heather Matarazzo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206August 17, 2022 8:31 AM

The Thorns.

A comedy about a rich Manhattan couple (Tony Roberts, Kelly Bishop) produced by Mike Nichols.

Featured Lori Petty and Broadway staples Mary Louise Wilson and Marilyn Cooper—and Dorothy Loudon (!) appeared in the credits singing the theme song.

Shoehorned into what was about to become ABC's TGIF lineup. Never had a chance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207August 17, 2022 8:43 AM

Bent ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208August 17, 2022 9:24 AM

... Sara

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209August 17, 2022 9:36 AM

The Finder. 13 episodes on Fox in 2012. What a great show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210August 17, 2022 11:16 AM

r200, but Reaper launched the career of Missy Peregrym of FBI fame.

by Anonymousreply 211August 17, 2022 11:21 AM

The Mick (2017). Kaitlin Olson was hilarious; the whole show was sort of Sweet Dee camping out in the 1%. And the three kids were staggeringly good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212August 17, 2022 11:28 AM

[quote] Day by Day - I was in love with that son

[quote] Wasn't that the show that had a dream sequence where the kid dreamt they were the Brady Bunch?

Yes! And then to top it all off CD Barnes ("that son") went on to PLAY Greg Brady in the two Brady theatrical movies.

by Anonymousreply 213August 17, 2022 11:33 AM

Grosse Point

by Anonymousreply 214August 17, 2022 11:35 AM

R196 - I watched the whole series of Rubicon twice and really enjoyed it. It was very well done

by Anonymousreply 215August 17, 2022 12:20 PM

Caprica - SyFy channel's prequel to the Battlestar Galactica reboot. Ran for one season. It was pretty good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216August 17, 2022 12:23 PM

Bakersfield, P.D. -- This is the first show in which I recall seeing Giancarlo Esposito. Very funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217August 17, 2022 12:33 PM

Dangerous Women is a syndicated nighttime American soap opera about a group of women who served time in prison together. Starring Valerie Wildman and Lynn Hamilton.

by Anonymousreply 218August 17, 2022 12:40 PM

Swans crossing. Featuring a pre All my Children/Buffy Sarah Michelle Gellar. A teen soap on fox. Only lasted a few months but they had their own line of dolls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219August 17, 2022 12:46 PM

Has Mark Feuerstein's many attempts at TV series' stardom been mentioned yet? Are they still trying to make him happen?

by Anonymousreply 220August 17, 2022 12:48 PM

You guys are doing a good job. So many shows I've never heard of.

No one has mentioned Open House- 1989 Fox show for 1 season that launched Ellen's career.

by Anonymousreply 221August 17, 2022 12:49 PM

[quote]Persons Unknown - short lived NBC suspense show from 2010, where a bunch of folks wake up in a deserted town that is wired with cameras, and you get shot if you try to escape. It lasted 13 episodes. One of the cast was Chadwick Boseman.

That show was mindless fun! The perfect summer series.

This thread is bringing back SO many memories. As a former TV junkie, I used to watch everything. A few obscure series I remember fondly:

"The Others" -- creepy supernatural drama on NBC, starring Julianne Nicholson.

"Nightingales" -- late-'80s Aaron Spelling soapy drama about nurses.

"TV 101" -- another late-'80s drama series, this one about a high-school journalism class, whose students included Matt LeBlanc, Stacey Dash and Teri Polo.

by Anonymousreply 222August 17, 2022 12:54 PM

Carnivale on HBO was a great show. Only lasted 2 seasons

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223August 17, 2022 12:57 PM

Spencer, a sitcom starring Chad Lowe as a disaffected and misunderstood teen. It aired on NBC during the 84-85 season. I am about the same age as Chad and had a huge crush on him as a teen gayling. If I recall, NBC later retooled the show without him, I have no idea why he left.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224August 17, 2022 1:05 PM

Odyssey 5

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225August 17, 2022 1:10 PM

Lotsa Luck

by Anonymousreply 226August 17, 2022 1:15 PM

Does anybody remember "Hi Honey, I'm Home!" It was an unusual sitcom where sitcom families are relocated in a witness protection type program when their show is cancelled. Each episode had a classic sitcom character as the guest star, played by the original actors. It was one of the shows filmed at Universal Studios Florida.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227August 17, 2022 1:17 PM

[quote]but Reaper launched the career of Missy Peregrym of FBI fame.

The lesbians on here would disagree...Stick It, 2006.

As far as tv shows, her tomboying it up on the show Black Sash in 2003 predates Reaper.

Short-lived shows:

Dark Angel with Jessica Alba

Tru Calling and Dollhouse with Eliza Dushku

by Anonymousreply 228August 17, 2022 1:44 PM

WCW Thunder—not exactly forgotten, as many big wrestling fans over the age of 30 still remember it fondly, but in terms of casual viewers of 90s TV, young viewers and modern viewers of wrestling, it’s quite obscure. Ask a kid today or someone who doesn’t watch any or much sports to identify an American wrestling show that isn’t WWE or AEW or ROH, and they certainly won’t come up with WCW Thunder.

Thunder was also short-lived by the yardstick of pro-wrestling. Because it was expensive, not a ratings draw, and had huge continuity and production problems (that caused domino-effect problems with the flagship WCW wrestling show Nitro), Thunder was scrapped by Time-Warner after a little over 150 episodes. For a non-wrestling drama or even a sitcom, 30 months would constitute an excellent long run, but for a major sports entertainment brand name, whose shows often continue for a decade or more, and for which an unofficial ‘season’ can be 40-50 episodes, it’s not impressive. Thunder was new in 1998, dead and gone by 2001, not even enough time for the needle on the cultural dial to move a millimetre.

Pity, because Thunder had some gorgeous eye-candy wrestling on the card.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229August 17, 2022 2:04 PM

Hot L Baltimore

by Anonymousreply 230August 17, 2022 2:15 PM

Please Don't Eat The Daisies

Nanny and the Professor

Mayberry R.F. D. -- I remember the house had a waterwheel attached to it and thought it was so cool!

by Anonymousreply 231August 17, 2022 2:26 PM

Women In Prison with the ever wonderful Wendy Jo Sperber.

by Anonymousreply 232August 17, 2022 2:27 PM

"Wait Till Your Father Gets Home." Animated family sitcom. It ran for three seasons, so it's not "short-lived," but since everyone else seems to be ignoring that restriction ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233August 17, 2022 2:34 PM

R233, short-lived could mean a couple of seasons, especially if it's completely forgotten. Most regular shows get five to seven seasons.

by Anonymousreply 234August 17, 2022 2:39 PM

Pushing Daisies (starring DL icon, Lee Pace)

Off Centre (first show I saw John Cho in. Became a fan from there).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235August 17, 2022 2:40 PM

High Society - Jean Smart and Mary McDonnell blatantly rip off Absolutely Fabulous, and it bombs

It's All Relative - Prissy Gays vs. Archie Bunker 2.0. Not even red staters laughed at this dreck.

Men in Trees - The show that had people asking "Wasn't Anne Heche a lesbian?"

Dirt - Courteney Cox runs a sexy tabloid. Was there a point? No, but there was lots of ass, blood, and guts!

Dragnet (remake) - Ed O'Neill and Ethan Embry reboot this classic cop show, but why?

Carol & Marilyn: Real Friends - Two Broads with a capital "B" do a talk show. Proto-Trump voters who are probably more than a little racist, and not too funny in the bargain.

by Anonymousreply 236August 17, 2022 2:45 PM

The Class, which I thought was very funny (funnier than Friends ever was), but it was obvious by the end of the first and only series that everyone involved had lost confidence in it…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237August 17, 2022 2:47 PM

The New Show

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238August 17, 2022 2:50 PM

One only the lesbians will have ever heard of...

Nikki and Nora. Lesbian cop show that never made it past the pilot but that pilot was seen far and wide in lesbian circles.

by Anonymousreply 239August 17, 2022 2:58 PM

Some of My Best Friends, featuring the sexy Danny Nucci

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240August 17, 2022 3:00 PM

Style & Substance, in which Jean Smart plays a Martha Stewart-style character and manages to be funnier and more interesting than Ms Stewart has ever been.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241August 17, 2022 3:01 PM

Jean Smart is an under-appreciated national treasure. I hope Hacks doesn't become part of a future thread like this one.

by Anonymousreply 242August 17, 2022 3:05 PM

The New Normal, with DL fave Andy Randells.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243August 17, 2022 3:06 PM

The Naked Truth starring Tea Leoni.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244August 17, 2022 3:14 PM

Good choice, R217! I remember when, in the presence of the cop played by Esposito, Eldard, as the redneck cop, referred to someone as “colored.” When the character played by Esposito gave him a disapproving look, Eldard’s character, quickly corrected himself, and said, “Colored-American.”

by Anonymousreply 245August 17, 2022 3:23 PM

Some of My Best Friends - with Jason Bateman as a gay character

by Anonymousreply 246August 17, 2022 3:25 PM

R243 The show was too gay. Everything had to be about being gay. But I did love the affection the two men showed each other

by Anonymousreply 247August 17, 2022 3:25 PM

All That Glitters, a 1977 primetime series by Norman Lear concerning a world where gender roles were swapped (it was a novel concept in the 70s). There were 65 episodes but it ran 5 nights a week for only 3 months. Featured actors included Gary Sandy, Eileen Brennan, and Linda Gray.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248August 17, 2022 3:32 PM

[quote]DEAR ALEX AND ANNIE

I haven’t seen that since I was a little kid, though that theme song has been burned into my brain all these years. I’m shocked to see that Alex and Annie aren’t played by Treat Williams and Pamela Sue Martin as I’d incorrectly remembered.

by Anonymousreply 249August 17, 2022 3:33 PM

All's Fair, with DL fave Bernie Peters and Richard Crenna.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250August 17, 2022 3:41 PM

And speaking of Richard Crenna .... "Slattery's People."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251August 17, 2022 3:42 PM

"FlashForward" on ABC, 2009-2010. Sadly, only one season.

Terrific sci-fi series about everyone experiencing a global 2-minute blackout during which they have a vision of their life in 6 months time. The series had multiple threads, from investigations into what really happened to conspiracies, burgeoning cults, etc., etc. Lots of interpersonal drama, too (infidelities, pregnancies, suicides). Joseph Fiennes and John Cho were 2 of the leads, playing FBI agents on a task force investigating the flashforward. The creators claimed to have had 5 seasons mapped out, and, when it was cancelled, they tried to wrap up some of the storylines.

The show was way too ambitious for a network, but it might have survived on cable. (It was originally developed for HBO, who then sold it to ABC.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252August 17, 2022 4:01 PM

Someone on a gay board is putting down a show for being too gay?

by Anonymousreply 253August 17, 2022 4:23 PM

My Generation, with DL fave Julian Morris

by Anonymousreply 254August 17, 2022 4:24 PM

Fairly recent show:: Emergence was a 2019 ABC show where a little girl who was found at the scene of a fatal car accident - the girl has no memory of who she is, etc. The child is taken in by the small town sheriff (divorced female) while they figure out who she is. Soon the girl is showing some unusual actions. like bending metal with her mind! Next, strangers are coming into town and asking about the car crash and was anyone found there....

This is when we learn the "girl" is an AI prototype and the sheriff dedicates herself to protect the child robot from the evil folks trying to get her back. The show had an interesting premise, but lost focus after about 8 episodes in. Even having Terry O'Quinn as the bad guy didn't help.

by Anonymousreply 255August 17, 2022 4:25 PM

The Tim Conway Show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256August 17, 2022 4:36 PM

DL icon Patty Duke had a trio of short-lived programs in the 1980s:

It Takes Two (1982-83) - Susan Harris-created sitcom co-starring Richard Crenna; fun fact: the kitchen set for this series was recycled for the kitchen on The Golden Girls.

Hail to the Chief (1985) - another Susan Harris created sitcom, this time with Duke cast as the USA's first female President.

Karen's Song (1987) - Duke plays a 40 year old divorcée who dates a younger man (Lewis Smith).

by Anonymousreply 257August 17, 2022 5:10 PM

Has anyone mentioned Normal, Ohio?

by Anonymousreply 258August 17, 2022 5:11 PM

Invasion…William Fitchner, Eddie Cibrian, Kari Matchette, Lisa Sheridan. 1 season in 2005. A hurricane serves as a smokescreen to an alien invasion. Excellent show that unfortunately premiered a few weeks after Hurricane Katrina hit the gulf coast.

Surface…Lark Bell. Also premiered in 2005 and lasted 1 season. A similar but not as good a premise as Invasion. A new (possibly alien) life form appears in the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 259August 17, 2022 5:14 PM

The Torkelsons

by Anonymousreply 260August 17, 2022 5:14 PM

Searching for a particular short-lived program, I came across this NYTimes article from the spring of 1981 highlighting 5 new mid-season replacement series, all which had relatively short or very short runs:

The Greatest American Hero -- a big hit during its initial spring '81 season (the theme song even went to #2 on the Billboard Hot 100), it tanked in the second season.

Checking In -- spin-off of The Jeffersons with caustic maid Florence taking a job at a hotel; the series flopped (only 4 episodes) and star Marla Gibbs returned to The Jeffersons.

Park Place -- a show I'd never heard of, set in a legal aid center; it also only lasted 4 episodes; creator Reinhold Weege went on to greater success with the long-running Night Court.

Private Benjamin -- another hit during this abbreviated first season, Lorna Patterson took over from Goldie Hawn in a sitcom version of her hit 1980 film; it also tanked during its second season.

The Two of Us -- the Times raved about this one, an American version of a popular British series (Two's Company), with Peter Cook as a valet who goes to work for a divorced mom (Mimi Kennedy); a modest hit during the first season, it also ended up canceled after a second season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261August 17, 2022 5:27 PM

The Fugitive reboot from 2000, starring Tim Daly in his hot-guy-in-his-40s phase.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262August 17, 2022 5:35 PM

I remember two Sci-Fi alien shows I was very excited about but turned out to be short-lived and shit.

A remake of the 80s show V with Morena Baccarin and Scott Wolff and a short-lived show with Noah Wylie (can't remember the name).

I was also devastated when they canceled Doogie Howser after only a few seasons.

by Anonymousreply 263August 17, 2022 5:47 PM

I have to thank you guys for this thread. All night I have been watching "James at 15" and "Pink Lady" on youtube. I've always loved James but forgot all about it. Pink Lady, though, is new to me and I have to say some of the banter is...odd. One time he told the ladies that they just loved him for his round eyes...say what? But I do miss the days when you could say anything. Oh and to the RHOC fans, Jeana Keough is on one of the episodes with Hef and some other playmates. She really was gorgeous and thin. She was on "Cheers" too, I guess she was one of the better ones. Oh and Terri Nunn of Berlin playing a tramp on James at 15 was great too. For anyone who also watches MST3K, there was an episode "Squirm" where a guy with a bowly haircut was driving a station wagon and the bots said, "James at 15....miles an hour!"

by Anonymousreply 264August 17, 2022 5:52 PM

R263, the Noah Wyle show was Falling Skies.

by Anonymousreply 265August 17, 2022 6:04 PM

I don't think R263 is talking about Falling Skies - that ran 3 seasons and was fairly popular. It had Steven Spielberg behind it. He may be thinking of a series called "The Red Line" that aired in 2019 and only had 8 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 266August 17, 2022 6:25 PM

R266, The Red Line was not a sci-fi alien show which is what R263 was talking about.

by Anonymousreply 267August 17, 2022 6:29 PM

R264, thanks for checking out Pink Lady. I've rewatched a bit lately too.

by Anonymousreply 268August 17, 2022 7:23 PM

[quote]Has anyone mentioned Normal, Ohio?

And let's not forget "Eerie, Indiana."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269August 17, 2022 7:30 PM

There was a show called Sydney with I believe chub Val Bertenelli and was the first time I ever saw Matthew Perry who was quite funny in it. Also, remember the twin show Double Trouble the Double Mint twins

by Anonymousreply 270August 17, 2022 7:32 PM

"The Entertainers," a variety series starring Carol Burnett, Bob Newhart, and Caterina Valente

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271August 17, 2022 7:32 PM

"That Was the Week That Was," which I used to watch religiously even though I was only 12 at the time. It was an American version of a British satirical news show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272August 17, 2022 7:35 PM

Dark Skies, a NBC show about alien abduction was another short lived Eric Close show.

by Anonymousreply 273August 17, 2022 8:19 PM

Love, Sidney starring Tony Randall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274August 17, 2022 8:21 PM

Joe’s World which ran during the 1979-1980 tv season. I was interested in it because of Christopher Knight (The Brady Bunch).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275August 17, 2022 8:33 PM

Laraine Newman had a short-lived show called “The Canned Film Festival.” I think it was syndicated and aired sometime around 1986.

It was kind of a “first draft” of the Mystery Science Theatre 3000 format. Each episode featured an old B-movie intercut with Laraine and other characters making fun of the film. Unfortunately, they weren’t nearly as funny as the MST3K bots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276August 17, 2022 10:22 PM

R268 Those variety shows are so comforting to me and that was one I hadn't seen. Oh and Florence Henderson is on one, just like the old Brady Variety hour.

by Anonymousreply 277August 17, 2022 11:40 PM

I find the wiki synopsis for Joes World hilarious:

Joe is a hardworking house painter with a wife and five kids, yet he is deeply unhappy

Deeply unhappy im certain.

by Anonymousreply 278August 18, 2022 12:07 AM

Even one-hit wonders got their own series!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279August 18, 2022 12:18 AM

The Yoko Ono Mysteries

Americas Funniest Surgeries

The Italian Problem

My Husband The Pope

Embroidery Wars

by Anonymousreply 280August 18, 2022 12:38 AM

I can’t believe no one has mentioned this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281August 18, 2022 12:39 AM

Better Off Ted

She's the Sheriff!

by Anonymousreply 282August 18, 2022 12:49 AM

Makin' It

by Anonymousreply 283August 18, 2022 12:50 AM

Another short lived Valerie Bertinelli show I remember is Cafe Americain. Val played an American living in France and interacting with people at the cafe she worked at.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284August 18, 2022 2:42 AM

I liked Cafe Americain

by Anonymousreply 285August 18, 2022 2:46 AM

Another 90s sitcom I remember was The Crew. Marc Cherry, John Pardee, and Joey Murphy were the creators. It was focused on a group of flight attendants living in Miami. I remember the gay character Paul.

by Anonymousreply 286August 18, 2022 2:51 AM

Did anyone mention this problematic show? Just another Bosom Buddies but now deemed offensive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287August 18, 2022 2:57 AM

[quote] The CW had a one-season show called "Star-Crossed" where aliens came to earth. These aliens looked human, but were deemed to be dangerous and were put into internment camps. The CW made this into a Romeo and Juliet thing when a teen human girl fell in love with a teen alien boy years later when these aliens had been assimilated but still not 100% accepted.

I remember that show. The aliens also had tattoo like markings on their skin. I honestly didn't think it was that bad.

Speaking of aliens, I remember NBC's The Event which I really liked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288August 18, 2022 3:00 AM

"Maybe This Time," with DL faves Betty White and Marie Osmond. (And Craig Ferguson.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289August 18, 2022 3:09 AM

Going to Extremes short lived show about a group of med students at a Caribbean medical school.

by Anonymousreply 290August 18, 2022 3:22 AM

Wasteland, a Kevin Williamson flop

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291August 18, 2022 3:26 AM

Everyone remembers the 60s horror soap "Dark Shadows", but many have forgotten the 1991 primetime reboot. It had a lot going for it, including a stellar cast: Ben Cross as Barnabas, Barbara Steele as Julia Hoffman, Roy Thinnes as Roger Collins, Joseph Gordon-Levitt as David Collins, DL fav Michael T. Weiss as Joe Haskell, and Jean Simmons as Elizabeth Collins Stoddard.

Although it premiered to good numbers, constant interruptions & schedule changes due to coverage of the Gulf War ultimately doomed it, and it was cancelled after only 12 episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292August 18, 2022 4:17 AM

King's Crossing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293August 18, 2022 4:27 AM

"Kirk" on The WB starring Kirk Cameron. I know. But there's a few shirtless scenes where he wasn't half bad until we swallowed Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 294August 18, 2022 4:30 AM

I remember a show from the late eighties or early nineties that I would best describe as a Dallas and The Big Valley mashup set in medieval England but it aired in and was made for US tv. But, I can’t remember the name. I’ve tried Google but haven’t found the answer.

by Anonymousreply 295August 18, 2022 4:46 AM

The Pruitts of Southampton (mentioned above) was based on a novel by DL fave Patrick Dennis.

I don't believe anyone has mentioned The Young Rebels -a drama set during the American Revolution that featured young hotties Richard Ely, Louis Gossett Jr., and honest-to-God French noble Philippe Forquet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296August 18, 2022 4:58 AM

Anyone remember Ivan the Terrible? The first sitcom set behind the Iron Curtain. Lou Jacobi played Ivan, a Russian head waiter sharing a small apartment with his wife, three children, mother-in-law, and a Cuban exchange student. Also in the cast were Christopher Hewitt, Maria Karnilova, Nana Visitor, and Phil Leeds. It only lasted five episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297August 18, 2022 5:03 AM

No love for The Betty White Show??? Datalounge favorites Betty White, Georgia Engel, and Jonathan Hillerman starred. It was a parody of Police Woman, where Betty stars in the show Undercover Woman, directed by her ex-husband (Hillerman).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298August 18, 2022 5:12 AM

Eerie, Indiana. It starred the appealing child actor Omri Katz and was a story about a boy living in a town where strange occurrences were the norm. I think it generated a cult following.

Bakersfield P. D. Starred Giancarlo Esposito and Ron Eldard. Sitcom about a nutty police department. A funny show.

The Associates. Sitcom about a bunch of young lawyers. It starred Martin Short who really outshone the other actors.

Women In Prison. Fox sitcom about the wacky characters in a women's prison. It had a solid cast; CC Pounder, Peggy Cass, Wendi Jo Sperber, Denny Dillon. And a hilarious theme song.

The Powers That Be. Sitcom about a Senator and his wife and staff. It starred John Forsythe, Peter MacNicol and David Hyde-Pierce. Holland Taylor was wonderful as the Senator's Nancy Reagan-like wife.

Sunshine. There was a popular tv movie by that name about a young woman dying of cancer. It got good ratings, so there was a sequal Sunshine Christmas, which took up the story of the young woman's widowed husband and their little girl. THAT got good ratings so they made a tv series out of it. It only lasted 13 episoes.

Harper Valley P.T.A. It was a country music song. Then a tv movie was fashioned around it starring Barbara Eden. It got such high ratings it was made into a sitcom. But it failed, deservedly so.

by Anonymousreply 299August 18, 2022 5:21 AM

[quote]Harper Valley P.T.A. It was a country music song. Then a tv movie was fashioned around it starring Barbara Eden

That was a FEATURE film, motherfucker

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300August 18, 2022 6:03 AM

Selfie (2014), with John Cho in his prime :)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301August 18, 2022 6:06 AM

Why was the second season Angie intro clip after clip of fumbling with food?

by Anonymousreply 302August 18, 2022 6:09 AM

Oh R301 Suburgatory was good too, I just loved hot Jeremy Sisto.

by Anonymousreply 303August 18, 2022 6:11 AM

I loved this show but it failed twice:

Cupid (1998) with Jeremy Piven

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304August 18, 2022 6:21 AM

Cupid (2009) They tried again with Bobby Cannavale.

Beautiful premise but just didn't take with the audience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305August 18, 2022 6:24 AM

The TV series adaptation of the hit Helen Lawson Blaxploitation movie "White Mama, Black Heat".

According to IMDB, the series was doing well in the ratings, but Miss Lawson was "unhappy" with co-star Ken Norton's "performance" in her dressing room. Someone filmed one of her on-set tirades, and TV execs quietly cancelled the show citing production issues.

Some reports say this also coincided with Helen's "lost" guest appearance on "Sesame Street".

by Anonymousreply 306August 18, 2022 7:17 AM

Anyone remember The Watcher? It was on UPN, it barely lasted six months. It starred rapper Sir Mix-a-Lot as "The Watcher".

This series reminded me of that weird surveillance film with one of the Baldwins, the name escapes me.

"The Watcher is an American anthology drama series created by Christopher Crowe that premiered on UPN on January 17, 1995 and ended on June 7, 1995, during the network's inaugural season. The series aired Tuesday night at 9:00 p.m Eastern time.

Set in Las Vegas, the series stars rapper Sir Mix-a-Lot as "The Watcher", an omniscient narrator who watches the activities of others all throughout the city of Las Vegas via all the monitors in his suite at the Riviera Hotel which are filming live from the hidden cameras all throughout the city.

The Watcher also starred Bobbie Phillips as Lori Danforth, a limo driver.

The Watcher was one of five series that aired on UPN during its first year, joining other drama series Star Trek: Voyager and Marker and the sitcoms Pig Sty and Platypus Man. Like the latter three series, it was canceled following its one and only season.

Guest stars include comedian and Howard Stern Show regular Jackie "The Jokeman" Martling, Max Wright, and comedians Gilbert Gottfried and D.L. Hughley, as well as the band Cheap Trick."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307August 18, 2022 7:30 AM

Flying High. It was from 1978, and was basically Love Boat in the air. Connie Selleca was so pretty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308August 18, 2022 9:00 AM

Bakersfield P.D.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309August 18, 2022 10:04 AM

R300 It was also a series

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310August 18, 2022 11:49 AM

Yes, Harper Valley P.T.A. was a feature film released theatrically in 1978 and was only modestly successful. Then NBC aired the movie in 1980 and, for whatever reason, it was a ratings bonanza; for a network that was, at the time, in the ratings doldrums (they had only 3 shows in the top 20, and only 1 -- Little House on the Prairie -- in the top 10), something that was one of the highest-rated programs of the week was not to be ignored, so they quickly developed a series.

by Anonymousreply 311August 18, 2022 1:08 PM

This really corny MTV sitcom The Hard Times of RJ Berger. This was when MTV was trying hard to make scripted programs like their American versions of Skins and Inbetweeners which failed on arrival. Awkward and Teen Wolf struck gold for them.

Anyway, RJ Berger was about a nerd (played a cute hauling) who gets pantsed in front of the entire school and is revealed to be hung like a horse. Never to be brought up again. He ends up becoming infamous and is simping over the hot blonde cheerleader who is very nice to him. He also has a fat best friend who is an annoying Jonah Hill clone and an ugly female friend who is lusting for his big dick. Hottie Jayson Blair plays the mean closet case jock (he had a very sexy shower scene yum). The show overall was kinda dumb but watchable. I loved the animated vignettes when character told a story. The animation would vary by episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312August 18, 2022 1:09 PM

*cute gayling

by Anonymousreply 313August 18, 2022 1:13 PM

Martin Kove was smoking hot in this. As a young gayling, this was prime jo material.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314August 18, 2022 2:11 PM

The Smith family 1972-ish starring Henry Fonda.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315August 18, 2022 2:14 PM

Open all night. 1981. Madeline Kahn show - an episode with Johnny Mathis- the joke: ‘ your voice sounds loke singing jello. My Mother loves Johnny & my family always brings up.

by Anonymousreply 316August 18, 2022 2:33 PM

Cupid with Jeremy Piven. They tried a reboot but it was terrible apparently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317August 18, 2022 2:34 PM

The San Pedro Beach Bums

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318August 18, 2022 2:56 PM

The Jimmy Stewart Show

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319August 18, 2022 2:59 PM

R318. Football- you bet!

by Anonymousreply 320August 18, 2022 3:00 PM

Two failed Nathan Lane vehicles:

1. One of the Boys, with Dana Carvey and Mickey Rooney

2. Encore! Encore!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321August 18, 2022 3:02 PM

Action with Jay Mohr and Illeana Douglas. A short lived Fox TV comedy about Hollywood agents and producers.

by Anonymousreply 322August 18, 2022 3:08 PM

"Kings" (2009) was another short-lived NBC show, but I think many people remember it. The premise of the show was that America has royal families that ruled different areas. This followed the king of NY and family and the corruption and vice that was hidden in the castle walls. It was a beautiful show and had an interesting plot. It starred Ian McShane as the king and Sebastian Stan as his ne'er-do-well gay son.

Sebastian Stan had another role as the gay son of a high ranking person in the 2012 mini series "Political Animals". He had a very hot kissing scene with a guy he picks up off a dating app.

by Anonymousreply 323August 18, 2022 3:51 PM

Night Visions, a spooky anthology show that was kind of like a modern Twilight Zone

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324August 18, 2022 4:04 PM

From a Bird's Eye View...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325August 18, 2022 4:08 PM

R287, I hadn't heard of that one before, and watched this YT clip. It's so stupid that it's funny. I can't imagine it being seen as offensive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326August 18, 2022 4:10 PM

Someone posted Best of the West earlier but the clip was missing the opening theme. I have had these lyrics in my head for 41 years apparently and knew them all when I played this clip. The human brain is pure MAGIC that way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327August 18, 2022 4:20 PM

Right R287? It's dumb but that's not a crime. Ironically, now dressing like men dressing like women would get you further than pretending to be a woman.

by Anonymousreply 328August 18, 2022 4:44 PM

Spyder Games was a soap opera type show MTV had back in the summer of 2001. Sixty five episodes aired and MTV didn't pick up the show for a second season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329August 18, 2022 5:11 PM

R323 Kings was also interesting because it was based on the Bible's story of King David.

by Anonymousreply 330August 18, 2022 5:21 PM

I watched Spyder Games. It was pretty good and had a gay character, too

by Anonymousreply 331August 18, 2022 5:29 PM

The Dirty Dancing tv show

by Anonymousreply 332August 18, 2022 5:30 PM

"He and She" with Paula Prentiss, Dick Benjamin. Jack Cassidy, et al. 1967-1968. I stopped watching TV for a while when they canceled it after just 10 epis. Groundbreaker for Newhart, MTM, etc. Yea, I'm an elder gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333August 18, 2022 5:40 PM

Arnie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334August 18, 2022 5:49 PM

a lighthearted comedy about divorce and remarriage

incl. DL fave Dick Gautier

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335August 18, 2022 5:51 PM

Heartland aired on CBS for a short run during the summer of 1989. It starred Brian Keith, and it's theme song was performed by Dion DiMucci.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336August 18, 2022 7:32 PM

Gordy's Home!

by Anonymousreply 337August 18, 2022 7:49 PM

I remember the sitcom Walter&Emily which starred Brian Keith and Cloris Leachman as the titular characters. Christopher McDonald played their son and Matthew Lawrence played their grandson. It was aired on Saturdays nights on NBC. From what I remember, the parts with Keith and Leachman were entertaining as they were set up as a constantly bickering couple. But, the parts with the son and grandson were pretty bland.

by Anonymousreply 338August 18, 2022 7:52 PM

Going Places

by Anonymousreply 339August 18, 2022 7:58 PM

The Powers of Matthew Star ran during the 1982-83 season. All it really had going for it was teen idol Peter Barton. Co-star Lou Gossett Jr. won an Oscar for An Officer and a Gentleman in ‘83 so he was kind of slumming it here.

The program, originally slated to debut in 1981 with the new title and storyline, was delayed when Barton fell backward onto pyrotechnics and was badly burned, while co-star Gossett Jr., tied to a chair, had fallen on top of Barton but managed to rescue him. After months in the hospital, Barton was released, and the show resumed shooting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340August 18, 2022 7:59 PM

It's Your Move

Darkroom

by Anonymousreply 341August 18, 2022 8:00 PM

Do summer shows count? ABC had a competition show called "The Quest" where Americans were whisked to an Austrian castle, given medieval clothing and made to live as if it was the 1600's. The castle had no running water/electricity and the "village" around the castle cast people there who dressed like peasants and spoke in old timey language. I remember there was one(?) black guy and he had a hard time adjusting to the culture shock.

These people were given tasks as if they were knights of the time, like find a magic stone and other dumb crap. The show was so not compelling and it was yanked even before it completed the 8 week summer run.

by Anonymousreply 342August 18, 2022 8:38 PM

Does anyone remember "Marker?"

It was one of two shows that launched UPN in 1995, alongside "Star Trek: Voyager." It starred Richard Grieco and Gates McFadden, and was a blatant ripoff of "Magnum P.U."

by Anonymousreply 343August 18, 2022 8:42 PM

Living Dolls, featuring a then unknown ex-beauty queen by the name of Halle Berry, and a frequently working, but still unknown Leah Remini.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344August 18, 2022 9:37 PM

^ Don't forget MISS Michael Learned

by Anonymousreply 345August 18, 2022 11:09 PM

[quote] "That Was the Week That Was," which I used to watch religiously even though I was only 12 at the time. It was an American version of a British satirical news show.

Excellent program that was murdered by the 1964 election. I suppose to avoid controversial political humor the network swept the show under the rug. Week after week the time slot was per-empted for a paid Barry Goldwater infomercial.

Dark Skies ran only one season out of a planned five year story arc. The plot was every governmental conspiracy theory of the 1960s was true. A government hidden within the government manipulated historical events all in service of a secret war against hostile extraterrestrials.. Examples Gulf of Tonkin airstrikes were actually on underwater alien bases and JFK assassinated to prevent him from leaking the secret.

I'd really like to have seen the story play out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346August 18, 2022 11:20 PM

The David and Liza show

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347August 18, 2022 11:27 PM

The Tempest Bledsoe Show

by Anonymousreply 348August 18, 2022 11:35 PM

The Carnie Wilson Show

by Anonymousreply 349August 18, 2022 11:36 PM

Leeza

by Anonymousreply 350August 18, 2022 11:37 PM

George and Alana Hamilton also had their own short-lived talk show

by Anonymousreply 351August 18, 2022 11:50 PM

R343 I think Marker failed because Gates McFadden couldn't pull off the 'stache as well as Tom Selleck did.

by Anonymousreply 352August 19, 2022 12:24 AM

Remember Thicke Of The Night? - with Alan Thicke. He never seemed to have much charm. I'm not American so don't really know who he was. I think he was already famous. I remember this because it had so much promotion before it aired.

Also his name is incredibly off-putting. Imagine being called Thicke. That is one terrible name for so many reasons.

by Anonymousreply 353August 19, 2022 12:25 AM

Thicc cocks

by Anonymousreply 354August 19, 2022 12:30 AM

"The Gloria Swanson Hour" (1948) only lasted two episodes, one with Mary Wickes. I remember it well.

by Anonymousreply 355August 19, 2022 1:29 AM

Kraft Suspense Theatre

by Anonymousreply 356August 19, 2022 1:46 AM

Kraft Suspense Theater ran for a couple seasons--no so short lived.

It's a Man's World: "ahead of its time" dramedy about coming of age. Ted Bessell in an early role, Glenn Corbett (one time Bob Mizer model), & Randy Boone. Written by Peter Tewksbury who was tired of doing normal sitcoms and had been successful with the first season of "My Three Sons". A critics's darling that never found a large enough audience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357August 19, 2022 2:04 AM

Reunion was a drama show that premiered on Fox in 2005. It had an interesting premise. It focused on a group of friends who graduated from high school in 1986 and one of them was murdered in 2006 at their 20th high school reunion. Mathew St. Patrick from Six Feet Under played a detective investigating the murder in 2006. Each episode was titled a certain year with the flashbacks focused on the year with scenes in the present that would focus on the detective questioning the others in the group and try to find who killed the classmate. The show had very low ratings and was cancelled after 9 episodes. 13 episodes were filmed and the unaired episodes did air in other countries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358August 19, 2022 2:06 AM

The Family Tree (1983). NBC family drama starring Anne Archer, hot Frank Converse, Martin Hewitt ("Endless Love"), Melora Hardin ("Soul Man", "Transparent"), and a very young James Spader. 6 episodes, all on YouTube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359August 19, 2022 2:14 AM

The Grinder was hysterical!

by Anonymousreply 360August 19, 2022 2:14 AM

Then Came You

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 361August 19, 2022 2:23 AM

"My Living Doll" with Julie Newmar as an android. Bob Cummings played a psychiatrist who was given custody of her by the guy who created her. Cummings bailed before the end of the series, which had horrible ratings. Cummings and Newmar didn't get along. He had a meth addiction. The original casting was Efrem Zimbalist Jr---the idea of him in a sitcom seems absurd,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362August 19, 2022 2:24 AM

Time Tunnel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363August 19, 2022 2:26 AM

[quote] the idea of him in a sitcom seems absurd,

Didn't matter. People only watched for Julie Newmar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 364August 19, 2022 2:28 AM

R364: Not many people watched even for her. It was awful.

by Anonymousreply 365August 19, 2022 2:35 AM

Laff-a-Lympics, Saturday morning cartoon, 1977-1978. My favorite cartoon when I was sooooo young. I also had Laff-a-Lympics comic books...and I still have them!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366August 19, 2022 2:39 AM

I know he is a slimy dog but I do think he is a good actor when he has a good role to play.

I was so upset that this was canceled. Or not picked up, whatever. Just 7 episodes of this unique and very charming, touching show.

I should say it was unique when it aired in 2007, but now it's been done a few times. However, I have not seen it done this well, with as much of a bittersweet core. Goldblum really has a way of pulling at the heartstrings while acting like a goofball.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367August 19, 2022 2:43 AM

STEAMPIPE ALLEY, A kids weekend morning show hosted by Mario Cantone.

Wonder what the kids thought about Mario's screeching delivery. Not to mention, the characters would have definitely gone right over the heads of the kids in the audience: Rex Can Read, a parody of film critic Rex Reed, who co-hosted the "At the Alley" segment. Poochano Pavarachi, a parody of Italian tenor Luciano Pavarotti, who sang about his bean-induced flatulence problem and presided over the Out of Gas segment.

Actually the series wasn't that short-lived: "Steampipe Alley is a children's television program that aired on Secaucus, New Jersey station WWOR-TV from February 7, 1988 to April 18, 1993. The program was hosted by comedian Mario Cantone, with announcing duties handled by longtime station staff announcer Ted Mallie (referred to on-air by Cantone as "Don Pardonmeo", a play on the name of another veteran announcer, Don Pardo).

Each episode featured celebrity guests (often encountering other WWOR personalities), recurring segments, comedy sketches and games for its young audience members, with old Looney Tunes and Max Fleischer cartoons rounding out the program."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368August 19, 2022 2:49 AM

Love on a Rooftop

and

He and She

Somewhat similar, and both short-lived, but I do love Judy Carne in the first and Paula Prentiss in the second

by Anonymousreply 369August 19, 2022 2:54 AM

The first A League of Their Own series

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370August 19, 2022 2:59 AM

R370 Wasn't it just a pilot like the Driving Miss Daisy and Steel Magnolias ones, I liked all three.

by Anonymousreply 371August 19, 2022 3:03 AM

1955 NBC sitcom Norby, the first series to be filmed entirely in color. Wikipedia states most of its 13 episodes are thought to have been lost in a warehouse fire, but considering the opening credits are on Youtube, at least some of them probably survived. I would love to watch it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372August 19, 2022 3:07 AM

R366 - I was wondering when someone would bring up cartoons. One that I loved as a kid was "The Groovie Goolies" (1970-71; I must have seen it in reruns a few years later).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373August 19, 2022 3:13 AM

Men (1989)

"A group of guys is devasted by a friend's death so include his younger cop brother Danny in their poker games. Attorney Charlie, reporter Paul, and surgeon Steven bond over the loss and various life experiences." It lasted six episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 374August 19, 2022 3:17 AM

R374 I mean that does sound like a depressing concept.

by Anonymousreply 375August 19, 2022 3:49 AM

R375 It's kinda like a male version of Sisters (the NBC show), with a touch of The Big Chill.

by Anonymousreply 376August 19, 2022 4:04 AM

I caught Action on "Brilliant but Cancelled" (a short lived "meta" show presenting entire series'). I fell in love with Illeana Douglas' acting from that series.

by Anonymousreply 377August 19, 2022 4:12 AM

I would love an invite to TV Vault, if someone would be kind enough, hit me up: joeswei@yahoo.com

by Anonymousreply 378August 19, 2022 4:50 AM

Get Real from 1999 starring DILF Jon Tenney married to shrewish Debra Farentino with 3 overly precocious kids including Anne Hathaway and Jesse Eisenberg. Christina Pickles as the grandma. Docu-style format that didn't work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379August 19, 2022 6:25 AM

Big John, Little John should be a DL favorite. A Saturday morning sitcom aimed at kids it starred Herb "Stan Zbornak" Edelman as Big John, a man who discovers the fountain of youth and randomly transforms into Little John (Robbie "Cousin Oliver" Rist.) DL non-fave Joyce Bulifant played Big John's wife and a pre-Young and the Restless Kristoff St. John is in there somewhere as well. Apparently the wife knows what's happened and they pass off Little John as a nephew but as a kid I misunderstood the setup and thought Little John was the son and could never understand how the wife could be married to the guy who was also her son.

Perhaps not surprisingly it was created by Sherwood Schwartz. His son Lloyd is in the opening credits as a version of Big John as he transforms to his younger self.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380August 19, 2022 6:51 AM

I can't remember the name but there was a series in the 70's that was a homage to movie serials. It had 3 concurrent stories. I think one was a western, one was about vampires and one was a blonde woman being stalked. I don't think any story got to conclude.

by Anonymousreply 381August 19, 2022 12:25 PM

R353 Ohhhh, that was a terrible show!

by Anonymousreply 382August 19, 2022 12:28 PM

Paper Dolls in from 1984 with Terry Farrell, Morgan Fairchild, and Nicollette Sheridan plus Lloyd Bridges, Jennifer Warren, Brenda Vaccaro, Dack Rambo and Mimi Rogers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383August 19, 2022 12:28 PM

"What Really Happened to the Class of '65"

Every episode started with the yearbook photo of someone and would follow their life after graduation. I remember it and really liked it. Kim Cattrall was in one of the episodes I remember the most.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384August 19, 2022 12:55 PM

It Had to be You starring Faye and Robert Urich.

by Anonymousreply 385August 19, 2022 1:10 PM

Freddie and Max starring Anne Bancroft.

by Anonymousreply 386August 19, 2022 1:11 PM

Here's a promo for an episode of "What Really Happened to the Class of '65" with Tim Matheson and Annette O'Toole. Funny how they're reunited all these years later as husband and wife in "Virgin River."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387August 19, 2022 1:12 PM

Eldergays will remember this. The Quest with hotties Tim Matheson and Kurt Russell

by Anonymousreply 388August 19, 2022 1:17 PM

Ooops correct link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389August 19, 2022 1:17 PM

R381 I think you mean Cliffhangers! I remember watching and loving it (of course I was 10). Jeffrey Donovan, Susan Anton, Michael Nouri. So much 70's beauty!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390August 19, 2022 4:21 PM

Apple's Way with Ronny Cox.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391August 19, 2022 4:24 PM

House of Carters. The very depressing reality show about the trashy Carter family who Nick of the Backstreet Boys had to financially support because of their deadbeat absent parents. And the first documented hard proof Aaron Carter was damaged goods and headed for a decline.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392August 19, 2022 4:48 PM

Well, speaking of the Carters ... it's "Carter Country!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393August 19, 2022 7:33 PM

"90 Bristol Court" -- actually three separate sitcoms tied together by the complex where all were set.

The three were:

Harris Against the World--with Jack Klugman and Patricia Barry

Karen--with Debbie Watson

Tom, Dick, and Mary--with Don Galloway (later of "Ironside"), Steve Franken (Chatsworth Osborne) and DL supernova Joyce Bulifant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394August 19, 2022 7:37 PM

Karen - sitcom about a teen girl, featuring a theme song by the Beach Boys

by Anonymousreply 395August 19, 2022 8:00 PM

Happy Endings

by Anonymousreply 396August 19, 2022 8:20 PM

Beyond Westworld from 1980 starring Jim McMullan & Connie Selleca

by Anonymousreply 397August 19, 2022 8:35 PM

Hank from 2009 starring Kelsey Grammer

by Anonymousreply 398August 19, 2022 8:37 PM

The Paul Reiser Show

by Anonymousreply 399August 19, 2022 8:38 PM

Checking In starring Marla Gibbs

by Anonymousreply 400August 19, 2022 8:41 PM

The Powers of Matthew Star

by Anonymousreply 401August 19, 2022 8:42 PM

Jennifer Slept Here from 1983

by Anonymousreply 402August 19, 2022 8:43 PM

Square Pegs w/ SJP

by Anonymousreply 403August 19, 2022 8:44 PM

Logan’s Run - The series

by Anonymousreply 404August 19, 2022 8:45 PM

Amanda’s starring Bea Arthur from 1983

by Anonymousreply 405August 19, 2022 8:46 PM

9 to 5 the series from 1982

by Anonymousreply 406August 19, 2022 8:48 PM

Freebie and the Bean from 1980

by Anonymousreply 407August 19, 2022 8:48 PM

The American Girls starring Pricilla Barnes from 1978

by Anonymousreply 408August 19, 2022 8:50 PM

Chopper One starring Jim McMullan & Dirk Benedict from 1974

by Anonymousreply 409August 19, 2022 8:52 PM

Dog and Cat starring Kim Basinger from 1977

by Anonymousreply 410August 19, 2022 8:53 PM

Flying High starring Pat Clouse and Connie Selleca from 1978

by Anonymousreply 411August 19, 2022 8:54 PM

I love that pretty much every show ever made is listed here. The topic is short lived. How about ER? The Waltons?

by Anonymousreply 412August 19, 2022 8:55 PM

Gemini Man starring Ben Murphy from 1976

by Anonymousreply 413August 19, 2022 8:55 PM

He and She. Excellent show. Way ahead of its time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414August 19, 2022 8:56 PM

I had honestly thought I might have hallucinated Grand.

Pasadena, a very twisted Fox soap from Mike White, starring Martin Donovan and Dana Delany. Great show, but had the misfortune of being a very dark show buried on a Friday that premiered a few weeks after 9/11.

Nowhere Man, a conspiracy theory show with Bruce Greenwood, that was the only UPN show worth watching that wasn't called Star Trek or Veronica Mars.

Dead at 21, which I believe was MTV's first attempt at a scripted series. Also conspiracy-focused, and starred noted homosexual actor Jack Noseworthy.

by Anonymousreply 415August 19, 2022 8:57 PM

Get Christie Love starring Teresa Graves

by Anonymousreply 416August 19, 2022 8:58 PM

I really liked Dead at 21

by Anonymousreply 417August 19, 2022 8:59 PM

Partners in Crime starring Lynda Carter & Loni Anderson from 1984

by Anonymousreply 418August 19, 2022 8:59 PM

[quote]Nowhere Man, a conspiracy theory show with Bruce Greenwood, that was the only UPN show worth watching that wasn't called Star Trek or Veronica Mars.

Actually, that's not quite true. There was also Jake 2.0, where DL Fave Christopher Gorham (at his peak adorkable hotness) plays an accidentally nanotech enhanced CIA IT guy who gets coopted into being a secret agent. By Ugly Betty developer Silvio Horta, if memory serves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 419August 19, 2022 9:08 PM

[quote]Get Christie Love starring Teresa Graves

Great premise and appealing star, hamstrung by said star's religious beliefs. Shame.

They've tried to reboot it one or twice. I keep hoping they'll pull it off.

The TV movie pilot used to be on Amazon Prime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 420August 19, 2022 9:11 PM

Death Valley on MTV-It was mockumentary type comedy show about a group of cops who work in Undead Task Force division after vampires, zombies, and werewolves popped up in Los Angeles. I really liked it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421August 19, 2022 9:17 PM

This is about the 4,000 incarnation of this thread in the past twenty years of DL, so I must admit I'm shocked that we've gone well over 400 posts and no mention yet of Mulligan's Stew...well, okay, if I must...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422August 19, 2022 9:24 PM

I’ve wished for years Dead At 21 would get a DVD release or stream somewhere. I enjoyed it at the time but was in college so didn’t see all the episodes and definitely missed the ending (though I’m not sure how final it was; did they wrap up the story?) I think music rights have prevented any kind of physical media release but I wish it would play on one of MTV’s sister networks.

by Anonymousreply 423August 19, 2022 9:32 PM

AfterMASH. Unsuccessful spin-off. Had a hit first season, then CBS moved it to another night and its second season bombed.

by Anonymousreply 424August 19, 2022 9:33 PM

[quote] I think music rights have prevented any kind of physical media release but I wish it would play on one of MTV’s sister networks.

There's no way they'd ever be able to release it, either on physical media or streaming. There are a few episodes on YouTube, and it's wall-to-wall music, even moreso than the music rights that hamstrung Daria for years. It would mean either a VERY expensive licensing deal, or an expensive process of stripping out all the songs and replacing with sound-alikes.

by Anonymousreply 425August 19, 2022 9:36 PM

[quote] I think music rights have prevented any kind of physical media release but I wish it would play on one of MTV’s sister networks.

There's no way they'd ever be able to release it, either on physical media or streaming. There are a few episodes on YouTube, and it's wall-to-wall music, even moreso than the music rights that hamstrung Daria for years. It would mean either a VERY expensive licensing deal, or an expensive process of stripping out all the songs and replacing with sound-alikes.

by Anonymousreply 426August 19, 2022 9:36 PM

Mary’s Place starring Lani O’Grady from 1980. A spin-off from Eight is Enough with Mary Bradford operating a lesbian half-way house in Sacramento CA.

by Anonymousreply 427August 19, 2022 9:37 PM

Nearly Departed... Sitcom with Eric Idle from the late 80s that I recall watching a handful of episodes of, but it quickly vanished.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 428August 19, 2022 9:46 PM

R393 - I can't believe there was an actor named Guich Koock.

by Anonymousreply 429August 19, 2022 9:49 PM

"Broadway Or Bust!" (1965)- Jayne Mansfield plays an aspiring actress/singer by day and a topless waitress by night. Her 4th floor walkup neighbors in Hell's Kitchen (Charles Nelson Reilly and Alan Sues)- who may be more than roommates- provide the catty humor. And her sleazy boss (Rod Steiger) provides the boos. Also starring Joan Blondell as her mom, who wants her to move back to Poughkeepsie and settle down. But it's Broadway- or bust!

by Anonymousreply 430August 19, 2022 10:07 PM

If Cold Case could finally get wide release with all its music, I'm sure something can be worked out for almost anything.

R412, why are you even here? There aren't any hit, long-term shows listed here. Hurry, I think there are some people on your lawn!

by Anonymousreply 431August 19, 2022 10:09 PM

Somebody mention the Courteney Cox show Dirt but it had 2 seasons, although shortened because of the writers strike of the time.

by Anonymousreply 432August 19, 2022 10:12 PM

[quote]If Cold Case could finally get wide release with all its music, I'm sure something can be worked out for almost anything.

I didn't see a lot of Cold Case, but the episodes I did see had maybe one or two songs that were often diegetic. The clips of Dead at 21 on YouTube have multiple music cues even within the same scene.

And a show that has maybe a small cult following of Gen Xers (guilty as charged) doesn't have the same economics as a CBS procedural that ran for seven seasons.

by Anonymousreply 433August 19, 2022 10:17 PM

Failed attempts to make Diana Canova a star: #1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434August 19, 2022 10:18 PM

Number #2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435August 19, 2022 10:18 PM

Number #3

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 436August 19, 2022 10:19 PM

"The Immortal"

Christopher George discoveres his blood contains all possible antibodies protecting him from any disease and slows his aging process to where he could live for centuries. Evil aging billionaires learn of this and wanting this superblood send their henchmen to find and retrieve him.

"Run for Your Life" becomes "Run for your Blood".

Immune to any killer disease except the Nielsens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437August 19, 2022 10:35 PM

"We Got It Made"

Absolute shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438August 19, 2022 10:48 PM

Didn't Mary Tyler Moore have attempts at a TV series comeback? Mary, The Mary Tyler Moore Hour, Mary, Annie McGuire, and New York News.

by Anonymousreply 439August 19, 2022 10:53 PM

Chasing Farrah.

by Anonymousreply 440August 19, 2022 10:58 PM

opening .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 441August 19, 2022 11:02 PM

Michael St Gerard as Elvis, during his very early years. It was a great TV show but only lasted a season. He did the best Elvis IMO.

ELVIS (1990) Michael St Gerard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442August 19, 2022 11:30 PM

Dana Carvey get his own variety show for a little while in 1996 - it only ran 7 episodes. I had to Google it because it's not listed on IMDB for some reason. The WIKI explanation for the show being removed was "it was ahead of its time".

by Anonymousreply 443August 19, 2022 11:43 PM

"Back to You," starring DL Republican Faves Kelsey Grammer and Patty Heaton. Created by Steven Levitan ("Modern Family,") who brought two of the co-stars (Fred Willard and Ty Burrell) over to that show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444August 19, 2022 11:44 PM

Darren Star’s Grosse Pointe. Great satire / parody. Ahead of it’s time.

by Anonymousreply 445August 19, 2022 11:46 PM

R444 I remember that show.

Another short lived Kelsey Grammer show I remember was Boss in which he played the mayor of Chicago. It was one a season show on Starz.

Starz has had a bunch of other short lived 1-2 season shows. These are the ones I remember. Blunt Talk-2 season show that starred Patrick Stewart was a British ex pat who is the host of American news cable type show. Jackie Weaver played one of his producers. Crash-1 season show about a group of people who survived suicide attempts. Krysten Ritter and Ving Rhames were in the cast. Magic City-2 season show starred Jeffery Dean Morgan as a Miami hotel owner who gets involved with the mob.

by Anonymousreply 446August 20, 2022 12:22 AM

I believe Boss had two short seasons. It was an excellent program and you never saw even a trace of Frasier Crane in his performance as the corrupt son of a bitch but exceptionally effective mayor of Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 447August 20, 2022 12:29 AM

When it comes to music rights I wish the industry would get its act together and reform it. I say once you give permission for a song to become part of a show or movie, you should get paid and then receive a residual but that’s all, they shouldn’t have to renegotiate with you every time they want to release the work in a new format. It is fucking stupid. Should writers be able to go back decades later and demand the studio edit out a joke they wrote in the 80s, before allowing it to be streamed? Of course not.

by Anonymousreply 448August 20, 2022 12:40 AM

The Linda Loveless Show

by Anonymousreply 449August 20, 2022 12:44 AM

Senior Roundup

by Anonymousreply 450August 20, 2022 12:45 AM

Puttin' on the Hits - the lipsyncing competition show

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 451August 20, 2022 12:49 AM

I believe to this day most of the music industry arc episodes of Wiseguy are still "officially" unavailable because of the music rights.

Thanks Deborah Harry

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452August 20, 2022 1:00 AM

The Wilton North Report

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 453August 20, 2022 1:03 AM

"Hot L Baltimore," in think around 1975 and on ABC (?). I recall it as being one of those last years the networks still aired those "summer replacement series," but I don't think it got picked up for the fall season (?). Couple of memorable actors in it who are now gone, including a fave of mine David Masur, and I always remember it.

by Anonymousreply 454August 20, 2022 1:17 AM

Hot Holes

by Anonymousreply 455August 20, 2022 1:20 AM

As a little kid I remember seeing this episode of CPO Sharkey while staying with my grandmother one summer. It was all about a blow-up doll which I didn't understand was a sex thing and just thought was hilarious-looking and wanted to have one. Anyway, the show ran 2 seasons but I don't think I've ever heard it mentioned in the years since.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 456August 20, 2022 1:25 AM

"The Rosie Show"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 457August 20, 2022 1:34 AM

Bill Bellamy had two series that only ran one season: He starred in a FOX show called Fastlane, playing an undercover cop opposite Peter Facinelli and Tiffani Thiessen. More recently he was in something called Mr. Box Office... no clue on that but it couldn't have been good.

by Anonymousreply 458August 20, 2022 2:11 AM

I was really liking The Time Traveler's Wife on HBO. I will admit that it's due to the fact I lust for Theo James. By the end of season one, which btw was a short 6 episodes, they did some full frontal on him. He has a spectacular ass. For those that are not into the book, James plays a time traveler who travels not by choice and is always naked. He must find ways of getting food, clothing, money, and shelter, and often arrives at places that are a bad scene... in the middle of busy streets, on train tracks, slamming down onto nasty bikers, etc. The show was canceled after one damned season.

Booooooooo. I was SO looking forward to some fine full-frontal.

by Anonymousreply 459August 20, 2022 2:19 AM

There was a 2 season sitcom called Movie Stars that ran on the WB for a couple of years. It was basically about a teenage girl who moves in with her movie star father, his second wife, and her two half siblings. Harry Hamlin played the father who was written as a action movie star. Cary Grant's spawn Jennifer played the much younger actress wife of Harry's character. The two half siblings had ridiculous celebrity spawn names Apache and Moonglow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 460August 20, 2022 2:49 AM

I'm With Her, created by Chris Hency, Brooke Shields' husband

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 461August 20, 2022 3:05 AM

[quote]including a fave of mine David Masur

Can't be that much of a fave if you don't know his name is RICHARD.

by Anonymousreply 462August 20, 2022 3:07 AM

I loved "Don Adams' Screen Test" as a kid. I don't think it was on more than one season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 463August 20, 2022 3:22 AM

Did anyone else note "Homefires," a British two season series several years back about a small English village after WWII has started and the men are in uniform, but the Blitz and the full out fighting have not yet begun? Excellent soaper and look into people's lives. The clothes and period detail seem authentic. Francesca Annis, beautiful in her maturity, plays an officious clubwoman.

by Anonymousreply 464August 20, 2022 3:25 AM

[quote]Dana Carvey get his own variety show for a little while in 1996 - it only ran 7 episodes. I had to Google it because it's not listed on IMDB for some reason. The WIKI explanation for the show being removed was "it was ahead of its time".

There's a terrific doc about this show on Hulu. The writing staff for that show was not to be believed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 465August 20, 2022 10:28 AM

Don't forget the Dukes of Hazzard spinoff ENOS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 466August 20, 2022 11:40 AM

Almost 500 posts and noone mentioned two of my favorites which aired 20 years apart: Calucci's Dept, from 1973 and Room for Two from 1992. The first had James Coco running an unemployment office (with occasional visits from Judith Lowry, who always seemed to be losing her jobs) and the second was with Linda Lavin and Patty Heaton (the first time I had ever seen her) as mother and daughter. Loved both shows in their brief appearances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 467August 20, 2022 12:18 PM

R16

I asked “Santa” for the Get Christie Love Barbie doll when I was 7/8. I just recently found my actual note to Santa and it was at the top of my list.

In fact, it was the only thing on my list!

Santa, that dirtbag, did not bring it.

(FYI, I am a woman, so it’s not like Santa thought I’d “turn gay” from a Barbie.)

I always held a grudge against Santa for that. Now I know it was my parents & it really bothers me that they didn’t get it for me. Was it because the doll was black I wonder? (We are white.) It can’t be that they couldn’t find it, we lived in a mixed ethnic area and my father worked in a minority-dominated city.

Anyway, it’s nice to see the show mentioned here. I remember watching it and thinking that she was the bomb.

by Anonymousreply 468August 20, 2022 12:23 PM

Sorry R16 I meant R416

by Anonymousreply 469August 20, 2022 12:24 PM

Throb (starring Jane Leeves and Paul Walker)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 470August 20, 2022 12:35 PM

I was really young when Get Christie Love aired, but I remember my mom and I loving it. I’m really surprised they haven’t been able to reboot it.

Has anyone mentioned Sally’s The Girl with Something Extra?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 471August 20, 2022 1:13 PM

This thread needed more ME!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 472August 20, 2022 1:14 PM

[quote] Somebody mention the Courteney Cox show Dirt but it had 2 seasons, although shortened because of the writers strike of the time.

I watched that one and there was also The Riches on FX that also had a shortened second season due to the strike and got canned aftewards.

by Anonymousreply 473August 20, 2022 2:49 PM

This thread has more flops than Armie Hammer.

by Anonymousreply 474August 20, 2022 4:57 PM

"Thanks" was a 1999 CBS sitcom set in Plymouth, MA...in 1621 among the Pilgrims. Cloris Leachman played the cantankerous grandmother. All 6 episodes are on YouTube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 475August 20, 2022 5:24 PM

"Defying Gravity" about astronauts on a grand tour of the solar system. I only remember that it had Ron Livingston of "Office Space" in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 476August 20, 2022 5:31 PM

DataLounge, DataLounge... What happened to all you Evil Queens??

The Charmings, of course!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 477August 20, 2022 5:37 PM

My beloved Lindsay Wagner returned to series television in 1989 in the short lived A PEACEABLE KINGDOM. The opening theme was dull as dishwater. 💤💤

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 478August 20, 2022 5:46 PM

Beggars and Choosers on Showtime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 479August 20, 2022 6:18 PM

Night Visions was really good

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 480August 20, 2022 6:39 PM

The Byrds of Paradise, set in Hawaii, with Seth Green and Jennifer Love Hewitt (before they were famous)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 481August 20, 2022 6:42 PM

Rachel Gunn, RN

by Anonymousreply 482August 20, 2022 6:43 PM

ALOHA PARADISE (1981), another Love Boat-type offering from Aaron Spelling, set at a Hawaiian resort. Starred Debbie Reynolds (as the owner/manager), Bill Daily, Pat Klous, Stephen Shortridge, Charles Fleischer & Mokihana.

It was a mid-season replacement (8 episodes) airing Wednesday nights against Diff'rent Strokes & The Facts of Life, and got clobbered in the ratings. Debbie Reynolds later said of it: "The worst scripts ever. That's why it failed. They didn't even advertise that I was in it. I totally disliked every script and they didn't like me interfering."

But it brought Debbie & Connie Stevens together on the same screen, so there's that! (that's Steve Lawrence singing the theme song, isn't it?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 483August 20, 2022 7:55 PM

The Good Life with post-Jeannie and pre-Dallas Larry Hagman and Donna Mills playing a bored couple who take a job as a maid and butler for a wealthy family. Theme song performed by Tony Orlando and Dawn.

by Anonymousreply 484August 20, 2022 8:00 PM

Models Inc - another failed Aaron Spelling show

by Anonymousreply 485August 20, 2022 8:00 PM

The Governor and JJ which was a really good show that only had 1 1/2 seasons.

by Anonymousreply 486August 20, 2022 8:02 PM

All That Glitters

Secrets of Midland Heights

Action

Profit

Crime Story

Emerald Point, NAS

When Things Were Really Rotten

American Gothic

Chicago Story

Dirty Sexy Money

Pan Am

Telenovela

by Anonymousreply 487August 20, 2022 8:10 PM

Down the Shore, with Anna Gunn ("Breaking Bad"), Louis Mandylor and a young Pamela Segall (Adlon).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 488August 20, 2022 8:45 PM

[italic]Needles and Pins[/italic] (NBC, 1973)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 489August 20, 2022 8:47 PM

The Dumplings, with James Coco and Geraldine Brooks as fatties in love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 490August 20, 2022 8:48 PM

[italic]Who's Watching the Kids?[/italic] (NBC, 1978), co-starring Scott Baio as one of said kids

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 491August 20, 2022 8:53 PM

Perry Mason reboot, with Clayton Hollingsworth in the title role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 492August 20, 2022 8:56 PM

Someone Like Me (1994) starring Patricia Heaton and Gaby Hoffmann. It lasted six episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 493August 20, 2022 11:14 PM

Johnny Bago from 1993

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 494August 20, 2022 11:16 PM

Mighty Isis

by Anonymousreply 495August 20, 2022 11:17 PM

The movie of the week grittier pilot for Christie Love.

Between the filming of the movie and the television episodes she got religion. Then the producers had to tone down the sharp edges for her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 496August 20, 2022 11:27 PM

Good Sports. Farrah and Ryan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 497August 20, 2022 11:31 PM

R493, I watched that at the time, I'm about the same age Gaby Hoffmann. Patricia Heaton was on it, too

by Anonymousreply 498August 20, 2022 11:33 PM

Before he became a right-wing asshat Dennis Miller had a syndicated late night talk show that I enjoyed. Only lasted 7 months in 1992 but he got some really good music acts and was a nice alternative to Leno and Arsenio Hall. I was in college at the time so I guess I was the target demographic

by Anonymousreply 499August 20, 2022 11:48 PM

Second Noah from 1996. It’s about a guy who marries a woman and adopts a bunch of kids and animals. Maybe they bought a zoo! I don’t remember. It starred James Marsden and Daniel Hugh Kelley.

I was about 12 when this came out and had a crush on James and one of the blond twins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 500August 21, 2022 12:05 AM

Joey

by Anonymousreply 501August 21, 2022 12:05 AM

Another Erik Von Detten show- Odd Man Out.

EVD sure was cute back in the day

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 502August 21, 2022 12:12 AM

Alien Nation.

The spotted heads on the aliens creeped me out as a kid

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 503August 21, 2022 12:14 AM

The River starring Bruce Greenwood. All I remember about this show was a tree full of doll parts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 504August 21, 2022 12:16 AM

EZ Streets, a violent crime drama that inexplicably aired on CBS in the 1990s, is among the 5 or 6 greatest shows of all time. Plus, it had Jason Gedrick and Ken Olin when they at their peak.

by Anonymousreply 505August 21, 2022 12:19 AM

Jason Isaacs was in an interesting show called Awake back in 2012. He plays a cop who was in a car accident with his wife and son. One of them died. Isaacs drifts between two realities- one where his wife survived and one where his son survived. We don’t know which of his lives is real.

I think the wife died and his life with his son is the reality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 506August 21, 2022 12:20 AM

Proto-Thirtysomething: Hometown was a loose adaptation of The Big Chill. Only 9 episodes were produced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507August 21, 2022 12:22 AM

The Book of Daniel. Aidan Quinn plays a priest who talks to Jesus (Garrett Dillahunt). Then they fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 508August 21, 2022 12:36 AM

Monroe, a spin-off of Too Close for Comfort. I worked on the pilot episode, which never aired. The premise was that Monroe Ficus (JM J. Bullock) moves from San Francisco to Miami, where his widowed father lives (played by Don Rickles). Monroe has two roommates (played by Craig Bierko and Jimmy Baio) and works in a music store. I thought the pilot was good but no network picked up the show. By the way, Don Rickles was a really nice guy and not so obnoxious off camera!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 509August 21, 2022 12:57 AM

Boomtown from 2002. IMDB says there was a second season but I do not recall watching it, it seemed like it just disappeared after the first season.

It showed a crime from the perspectives of the criminal, rescue workers, police, and lawyers. David McNorris as an alcoholic DA was great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 510August 21, 2022 1:33 AM

R493, I LOVED that show! I remember one episode the dad let her rollerblade around the kitchen and I thought that was so cool as a 90’s baby gay.

Does anyone remember Lush Life with Lori Petty and Hillary from Fresh Price? It was like a young twenties Ab Fab. They aired it back to back on Fox with the Party Girl sitcom starring Christine Taylor. I absolutely loved that block and was bitterly disappointed when it got cancelled. I think it was the same season as Temporarily Yours with Debi Mazar, another show that was yanked too soon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 511August 21, 2022 1:50 AM

I actually liked the Party Girl TV show more than the movie. They were definitely capitalizing on Christine Taylor as Marcia Brady in the marketing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512August 21, 2022 1:52 AM

R511 I watched all those shows too. They seemed like they were made for gayings.

by Anonymousreply 513August 21, 2022 2:28 AM

Miss Match with Alicia Silverstone as a divorce lawyer who had a side gig as a matchmaker. Ryan O'Neal played her father. Only 11 episodes aired.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 514August 21, 2022 2:29 AM

Malibu Shores, another Aaron Spelling flop. With Keri Russell and Charisma Carpenter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 515August 21, 2022 3:03 AM

It's All Relative. I found it on YouTube a couple years ago, and it is a lot funnier than most of the stuff on today. I rewatch it every once in a while.

I found Princesses with Fran Drescher and Twiggy on YouTube recently, and it was hilarious. It was interesting to see her Fran Fine prototype.

by Anonymousreply 516August 21, 2022 3:05 AM

All American Girl, with the quite unfunny Margaret Cho.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 517August 21, 2022 3:30 AM

The American Gladiators reboot ~2010.

The original was iconic, the remake sucked.

by Anonymousreply 518August 21, 2022 3:48 AM

The Lone Gunmen- an X-Files spinoff.

Unnecessary. Those guys were only good in small doses on the X-Files.

(It was good to see them in the x-files reboot a few years ago)

by Anonymousreply 519August 21, 2022 3:58 AM

Public Morals from 1996. Does anyone remember this show?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 520August 21, 2022 3:59 AM

Viva Laughlin. I actually watched the two episodes that aired. Not even Hugh Jackman could save this show.

by Anonymousreply 521August 21, 2022 4:00 AM

The Single Guy. I know it ran for two seasons, but it’s largely forgotten I think. It was one of the filler shows in NBC’s Thursday night lineup. (Friends, Seinfeld, ER were the important ones).

Boston Common was another throwaway.

by Anonymousreply 522August 21, 2022 4:07 AM

Kelly Kelly. Starring Robert Hays and Shelley Long. Aired on the WB network.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 523August 21, 2022 4:13 AM

R522, The Single Guy was interminable. Easily the worst show that was couched between Friends and Seinfeld. And it took forever to get cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 524August 21, 2022 4:27 AM

Mann and Machine. from imdb: In the near future, cop Bobby Mann is teamed with a voluptuous robot partner, Sgt. Eve Edison. He's a brash, wise-cracking maverick; she's serious, naive, by-the-book and tends to take things literally. In this hour-long series, the two detectives learn from each other, while solving a variety of crimes

Starred Yancy Butler one of my hair envy chicks.

by Anonymousreply 525August 21, 2022 4:27 AM

Lucky 7 (2013) - Based on a British show, this was an hour long about the employees of a NYC gas station who won the lottery. I thought the premise was very interesting, given what we know about what happens to a lot of lottery winners. The edges were all sanded off though and it felt very Touchstone television. It bombed right out of the gate and only aired two episodes. I later found the remaining episodes online and enjoyed them. It’s a shame people didn’t really respond to it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 526August 21, 2022 4:37 AM

This one is technically cheating because it did get three seasons but it was obscure at the time and nearly impossible to see now: Showtime’s Rude Awakening with Sherilyn Fenn as a recovering alcoholic/drug addict going through steps and making amends. Oh, and it’s a really broad sitcom. With lots of nudity. It was tonally bizarre and weird and VERY unpopular. I find that no one remembers this show at all. I had Jonathan Penner of Survivor fame as her hunky love interest who hanged dong, but also Lynn Redgrave as her mother? Rain Pryor and Taylor Dayne were regulars for a spell as well. Like I said…weird show.

Someone who worked on it posted on Datalounge once that it was the most toxic set they’d ever been on and I’m dying to hear more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 527August 21, 2022 4:43 AM

The Famous Teddy Z

by Anonymousreply 528August 21, 2022 4:51 AM

Does anyone remember Reba's follow up to Reba, Malibu Country? Lilly Tomlin played her pot smoking mother, she had a gay co-worker/friend, a skinny Sara Rue was her rich bitch neighbor. But they also gave her two kids that weren't good and just kinda brought the show to a halt every time they spoke. It wasn't a bad concept. It just wasn't her Lucy Show, which is what she was hoping for.

by Anonymousreply 529August 21, 2022 5:04 AM

Strangely enough, R529, Malibu Country figured heavily into the plot of season eight of Real Housewives of Orange County. Two of the housewives were competing for a gig on the show, one got it, the other made up a weird lie about how she was offered it first, and then a third housewife claimed she was offered it too. It was a storyline that lasted for a while.

A lot of people know the name but virtually nothing about the real show.

by Anonymousreply 530August 21, 2022 5:13 AM

Has anyone mentioned The Days And Nights of Molly Dodd? I loved that show for the music. I just noticed there are at least 4 episodes on youtube.

by Anonymousreply 531August 21, 2022 5:17 AM

[quote] The Book of Daniel. Aidan Quinn plays a priest who talks to Jesus (Garrett Dillahunt).

Loved this show. Have it on DVD.

Let me add Nothing Sacred about a hip priest played by Kevin Anderson and the people he worked with at an inner-city parish. Ann Dowd (Handmaid's Tale) plays a nun who stuggles with her desire to preach from the pulpit. ABC promised them a full season, but even bringing in Jennifer Beals couldn't save it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 532August 21, 2022 12:43 PM

Gidget 1965/66....with Sally Field. It was on for only one season. I loved it as a kid. I watched a couple of episodes on YouTube....as I said, I loved it as a kid, not now.

by Anonymousreply 533August 21, 2022 12:57 PM

The New People

Lucan

by Anonymousreply 534August 21, 2022 1:01 PM

“Aliens in the Family” (2004) starring the late Margaret Trigg. Her death from eating disorders was the subject on a New York Magazine article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 535August 21, 2022 1:26 PM

* OF a NY Magazine article.

by Anonymousreply 536August 21, 2022 1:27 PM

I don't think the TV series of Gidget is forgotten because, as with The Flying Nun, is is inevitably mentioned in stories on Sally Field. The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd has a cult following. I loved it when it first aired but when I rewatched it recently I couldn't get beyond the first episodes.

by Anonymousreply 537August 21, 2022 1:33 PM

Eli Stone, a Greg Berlanti series on ABC. It was sort of Ally McBeal-esque, where Jonny Lee Miller was a San Francisco lawyer who started having visions that may have been from God or may have been from a brain aneurysm. Also had Victor Garber, Laura Benanti, Loretta Devine, and Katey Sagal. And of course, the pièce de résistance, a guest appearance from Sigourney Weaver as God.

It was whimsical, but leaned into the drama half of dramedy, and could be really heartfelt. Ran for two short seasons in the late 00s.

by Anonymousreply 538August 21, 2022 1:34 PM

Joan of Arcadia lasted two seasons. But, it's pretty much forgotten. It was a bit of corny show, but I liked it and thought the cast had good chemistry and some of the storyline were quite good. After the pandemic hit and my job moved to work at home, I looked around for older shows to watch on streaming. Joan of Arcadia isn't available on streaming, but I bought the DVD set and did a rewatch. It still holds up.

by Anonymousreply 539August 21, 2022 1:54 PM

Homefront - with a young and very hot Kyle Chandler

Live-in: sitcom about an Aussie au pair (Lisa Patrick) designed to cash in on the mid 80s Aussie craze

University Hospital: 90210 in scrubs

Robbins Hoods: 90210 with a bunch of harmless white felons living in a halfway house (I think )

Billy: spin off from Head of the Class starring Billy Connolly

by Anonymousreply 540August 21, 2022 2:46 PM

Stockard Channing in Just Friends (1979) and The Stockard Channing Show (1980).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 541August 21, 2022 3:20 PM

"Kidnapped" with "Law & Order" stars Jeremy Sisto and Linus Roache. Also Timmy Hutton and Dana Delany.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 542August 21, 2022 3:24 PM

Hype: a sketch comedy show on the WB featuring Jennifer Elise Cox (Jan Brady in The Brady Bunch Movie and A Very Brady Sequel)

The Lyricist Lounge Show: a sketch comedy on MTV show featuring Tracy Ellis Ross

Downtown: animated sitcom on MTV

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 543August 21, 2022 3:26 PM

Unscripted (2005) executive produced by Steven Soderbergh and George Clooney about 3 struggling actors in the same acting class in Los Angeles who make the rounds from auditions to rejection and from personal struggle and to satisfaction. They even got Meryl to appear in 3 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 544August 21, 2022 3:32 PM

Justice, with Victor Garber

by Anonymousreply 545August 21, 2022 5:53 PM

R530 I remember one of them guest starring but I didn't watch the Real Housewives anymore by then, so I didn't know it was a storyline on there. But, it makes sense because from her appearances on his talk show, Andy Cohen seems to be a Reba fan. From what I remember, the housewife came across just slightly better than the kids did on that show, which isn't a compliment.

by Anonymousreply 546August 21, 2022 5:58 PM

Wasn't there another show along the lines of "Don Adams Screen Test" in the 90's? I have memory of watching this and it was aspiring actors vying for parts and being judged by semi-known directors. Google is not helpful because the search words I'm using only bring up how to audition for TV roles.

by Anonymousreply 547August 21, 2022 6:16 PM

[quote]Viva Laughlin. I actually watched the two episodes that aired. Not even Hugh Jackman could save this show.

That show redefined terrible but it did give me one of my favorite moments on The Soup ever

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 548August 21, 2022 6:39 PM

My tits with MBB

by Anonymousreply 549August 21, 2022 6:52 PM

"Tyrant" was a FX show from 2014 - it lasted 2.5 seasons. I watched it but the only thing I remember now was it followed a family where the husband was Middle Eastern and his wife was white. The family moves to Saudi Arabia so the husband can make amends with the rich, dictatorial family he ran away from 20 years earlier. The couple had 2 late-teen kids, mixed race and wondering which world they fit in. The son was also battling his feelings towards men. I lost interest in the show when the stories got more and more meandering.

by Anonymousreply 550August 21, 2022 6:56 PM

Gang Related, Rush, Satisfaction. Off the top of my head

by Anonymousreply 551August 21, 2022 7:00 PM

"Throb"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 552August 21, 2022 7:03 PM

The Jury

by Anonymousreply 553August 21, 2022 7:15 PM

Many of these short-lived shows are free on the Crackle app. The Girl with Something Extra, It's Your Move, The Powers That Be, What About Joan, Bridget Loves Bernie, Riptide, The Famous Teddy Z, The Ellen Show (her second sitcom), The Gregory Hines Show, Muddling Through (with Jennifer Aniston), One in a Million (with Shirley Hemphill), That's My Mama, Fish (with Abe Vigoda), Mr. Sunshine (with Matthew Perry and Allison Janney), Doctor Doctor, etc. Also, Malibu Country, Eli Stone, and Dirty Sexy Money are all on Hulu.

by Anonymousreply 554August 21, 2022 7:16 PM

The Time Tunnel is on MeTV every weekend.

by Anonymousreply 555August 21, 2022 7:25 PM

R550 I remember that one. It looked interesting in the promos. I started watching it, but lost interest as it went on.

by Anonymousreply 556August 21, 2022 7:59 PM

A Year at the Top

Only 5 episodes aired in 1977, and I watched them ALL!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 557August 21, 2022 8:12 PM

And they wondered why it only lasted for 5 weeks:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 558August 21, 2022 8:17 PM

EVERY single one of these sound frickin' awful! And I want to watch them NOW!

by Anonymousreply 559August 21, 2022 8:20 PM

EVERY single one of these sound frickin' awful! And I want to watch them NOW!

by Anonymousreply 560August 21, 2022 8:20 PM

The original “Friends” and “ER.” Friends was an hour long drama starring the girl from The Love Boat. ER was a sitcom starring Elliott Gould.

by Anonymousreply 561August 21, 2022 8:20 PM

Cop Rock...I remember 1 scene where hot PR looking guys are dancing in a lineup in a police station(singing a song)

by Anonymousreply 562August 21, 2022 9:11 PM

For those using this as a future viewing list, I second Wonderfalls that was mentioned quickly up above somewhere.

And, thanks to those who recommended Pitch. I'm watching it now.

by Anonymousreply 563August 21, 2022 9:17 PM

aNGIE

by Anonymousreply 564August 21, 2022 9:20 PM

Doctor Doctor.

From Wikipedia:

It was an American television sitcom that aired on CBS. It ran from 1989-1981.

The show featured Matt Frewer as the zany Dr. Mike Stratford.

Richard Stratford (Tony Carreiro): Mike's brother, and an English professor shared a house with Mike. Having come out as gay, Richard maintained a close relationship with his brother, though Mike can't resist a good-natured jibe or two at his brother's expense.

The plots sometimes focused on issues such as AIDS, breast cancer, and homophobia.

The music for the opening titles was the rock and roll song "Good Lovin'". It began with the bass vocal singing "D-D-D-D-Doctor, Doctor, D-D-D-D-Doc."

by Anonymousreply 565August 21, 2022 9:22 PM

[quote] It ran from 1989-1981.

It did?

by Anonymousreply 566August 21, 2022 9:44 PM

by Anonymousreply 567August 21, 2022 9:48 PM

R150, I remember Kindred the Embraced. Watched the whole thing back then. It was supposed to take place in San Francisco. I seem to recall every time they showed an exterior street scene, no matter where it was in the city, you'd hear a cable car bell.

by Anonymousreply 568August 21, 2022 10:05 PM

Townies, starring Molly Ringwald and a pre-Dharma and Greg Jenna Elfman. Post-Dharma and Greg, poor Jenna has had one short-lived TV series after another: Courting Alex, Accidentally on Purpose, Growing Up Fisher, 1600 Penn, and Imaginary Mary.

by Anonymousreply 569August 21, 2022 10:36 PM

I'll admit that I liked 1600 Penn. But, it seemed like something that should have been on Comedy Central and not NBC.

by Anonymousreply 570August 21, 2022 11:03 PM

I remember a scene from Chasing Farrah. It seems her team thought she was more a victim of the paparazzi than was the reality in 2005. In the scene Farrah was in a car with some of her team who suddenly announced: The paparazzi are following us! Then was heard the reply from the camera crew, No, that's one of our cars.

by Anonymousreply 571August 21, 2022 11:13 PM

She Wolf Of London…ran for 1 season/14 (1990-1991). It starred Kate Hodge as an American graduate student who is bitten by a werewolf and then spends her time investigating supernatural phenomena while looking for the werewolf that bit her. The show morphed into Something called Love and Curses which ran for 6 episodes. The lovely Jason Carter of Babylon 5 fame played the werewolf that bit Kate Hodge.

And since we’re now adding obscure shows that ran for more than one season …Friday the 13th the Series. Robey and John LeMay play cousins who inherited an antique shop. Unbeknownst to the bereaved, the uncle made a deal with the devil to sell cursed antiques. But he broke the pact, and it cost him his soul. Now, his niece Micki, and her cousin Ryan (Robey and LeMay) have inherited the store... and with it, the curse. Now they must get everything back, or the real terror begins.

by Anonymousreply 572August 21, 2022 11:30 PM

Jenna Elfman was the 'new Lucy' before Deb Messing took that title and has NEVER relinquished it.

by Anonymousreply 573August 21, 2022 11:51 PM

TBS has had a quite bit of 1-2 season shows. The ones I remember from the top of my head are Clipped which focused on employees in a barber shop. Ashley Tisdale and George Wendt played two of the barbers. Wendt's character was gay and Reginald VelJohnson played his husband. People of the Earth was the two season sitcom about an alien abduction support group and part of the show focused on the aliens abducting them. Your Family or Mine was about a married couple dealing with their sides of the famiily. Richard Dreyfuss and JoBeth Williams played the husband's parents That one lasted one season.

by Anonymousreply 574August 21, 2022 11:59 PM

Earth 2

Had a huge crush on Jessica Steen.

by Anonymousreply 575August 22, 2022 12:10 AM

Loved Earth 2.

by Anonymousreply 576August 22, 2022 12:11 AM

"B.A.D. Cats" with Michelle Pfeiffer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 577August 22, 2022 12:23 AM

The year before starring in Baywatch, Parker Stevenson returned to series television in PROBE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 578August 22, 2022 12:28 AM

Matthew Perry, post-Friends, one short-lived series after another: Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, Go On, Mr. Sunshine, The Odd Couple.

by Anonymousreply 579August 22, 2022 12:28 AM

Freddy's Nightmares, an offshoot of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies

by Anonymousreply 580August 22, 2022 12:30 AM

Townies (1996), with Molly Ringwald, poor Jenna Elfman, and Gilmore Girl Lauren Graham!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 581August 22, 2022 12:34 AM

R580 His version of The Odd Couple surprisingly ran for three 13 episode seasons. It never made sense to me. He should have played Felix. Chandler could be very Felix like so he would've fit it better and I think audiences would have embraced him more in that role. His Oscar came across as Chandler pretending to be a grumpier smarter Joey. Oh and it would've been a hit if he played Felix and he got Matt LeBlanc to play Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 582August 22, 2022 12:58 AM

R582, considering how increasingly bloated Matthew Perry looked, he couldn't possibly play the fastidious Felix.

by Anonymousreply 583August 22, 2022 1:46 AM

R593 He needed to detox and get his shit together.

by Anonymousreply 584August 22, 2022 1:54 AM

WE INTERRUPT THIS PROGRAM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 585August 22, 2022 1:54 AM

Before "Cheers" there was "The Corner Bar" from 1972, a sitcom about the lives of the patrons of a NY bar called "Grant's Toomb." It was produced by Alan King and Howard Morris. It was considered notable for its inclusion of the first recurring gay character on American television. It was a funny show. But for some reason after the first 10 episodes the show was totally revamped with a new cast. It tanked quickly that.

The show got negative reviews but the first season was not bad at all. Homophobia, maybe? Maybe some critics were turned off by a gay character in the cast.

by Anonymousreply 586August 22, 2022 2:18 AM

Greys Anatomy.

by Anonymousreply 587August 22, 2022 2:24 AM

For the people talking about Cold Case, I love it too and it is now on Roku! There are some commercials but all the great music is there setting the tones. I now listen to this all the time after hearing it again last week on CC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 588August 22, 2022 2:55 AM

[quote]Before "Cheers" there was "The Corner Bar" from 1972, a sitcom about the lives of the patrons of a NY bar called "Grant's Toomb." It was produced by Alan King and Howard Morris. It was considered notable for its inclusion of the first recurring gay character on American television.

I beg your pardon?

by Anonymousreply 589August 22, 2022 4:10 AM

Lady Blue!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 590August 22, 2022 4:44 AM

The Insiders - a Miami Vice ripoff

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 591August 22, 2022 4:47 AM

Teachers starring Justin Bartha.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 592August 22, 2022 4:49 AM

Taxi Brooklyn.

I actually forgot about this, but r548’s clip reminded me that The Soup used to make fun of this show a lot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 593August 22, 2022 4:50 AM

The Popcorn Kid starring Penelope Ann Miller and Faith Ford.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 594August 22, 2022 4:52 AM

Guys Like Us, starring Chris Hardwick

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 595August 22, 2022 4:54 AM

MARY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 596August 22, 2022 4:58 AM

Storefront Lawyers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 597August 22, 2022 5:04 AM

The Tortellis. It was about Carla from Cheers’ ex husband Nick. Starred Dan Hedaya.

by Anonymousreply 598August 22, 2022 5:07 AM

Three’s A Crowd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 599August 22, 2022 5:08 AM

We Got It Made!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600August 22, 2022 5:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!