Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Angulo "Wolfpack." WTF??!!

Locked away in an apartment in the Lower East Side of Manhattan for fourteen years, the Angulo family's six children — six brothers: Bhagavan (b. 1991/1992), twins Narayana (who now goes by Josef) and Govinda (b. 1993/1994), Mukunda (b. 1995/1996), Krisna (who now goes by Glenn, b. 1997/1998), and Jagadesh (who now goes by Eddie, b. 1998/1999) — learned about the world through watching films.

They also re-enact scenes from their favorite movies. They were homeschooled by their mother and confined to their sixteenth story four-bedroom apartment in the Seward Park Extension housing project. Their father, Oscar, had the only door key and prohibited the kids and their mother Susanne from leaving the apartment except for a few strictly monitored trips on the "nefarious" streets.

Everything changed for them when 15-year-old Mukunda decided to walk around the neighborhood in January 2010, against their father's instruction to remain inside. All the brothers then decided to begin exploring Manhattan and the world outside.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 15, 2022 7:39 PM

So were they just able to walk out of their apartment?

Why didn't they leave sooner?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 15, 2022 7:25 AM

They're all weird looking.

Are they Gypsies or Indian?

by Anonymousreply 2August 15, 2022 7:32 AM

I’m confused. They say the Dad had the only key but the apartment locked on the outside. They didn’t need the key. Plus, there’s so many of them. They could’ve ambushed their Dad if they wanted out.

by Anonymousreply 3August 15, 2022 7:39 AM

There's so much to their story that doesn't make sense, R3.

It sounds like a hoax.

by Anonymousreply 4August 15, 2022 7:44 AM

Just watch it. It's very good. Yes they ventured out.

by Anonymousreply 5August 15, 2022 7:45 AM

Lol this is such a bizarre story.

The boys are cute in such a weird and almost autistic kind of way.

But they're not autistic. They're just not well socialized.

Based on their names, I thought they were Indian.

Instead, they're half Peruvian from their father, and white from their mother who grew up in the Midwest.

I am so fascinated by this story.

by Anonymousreply 6August 15, 2022 8:10 AM

Part 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 15, 2022 8:14 AM

Part 3.

I'm watching this, and I'm completely enraptured.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 15, 2022 8:23 AM

I think this is Part 4.

It's hard to tell because whoever posted the videos, titled them all differently, even though parts 1-4 are in order.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 15, 2022 8:39 AM

Why do they have Indian names?

by Anonymousreply 10August 15, 2022 8:41 AM

R10, watch Parts 1-4, starting with the link in op.

Everything is explained.

It's a very compelling story.

by Anonymousreply 11August 15, 2022 8:43 AM

Just watched all four videos.

Whew.

That ending was a real tear jerker.

Those boys are something special.

by Anonymousreply 12August 15, 2022 8:53 AM

I saw this doc a few years ago and had to watch it twice because it's so unbelievable. Then I saw the TV clip where they met DeNiro and I was blown away. Is it real? Did this family actually exist as portrayed or is it an extreme balloon boy? Unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 13August 15, 2022 9:20 AM

There's no mention of what happened to the father.

Did he just disappear?

Did he go to jail?

by Anonymousreply 14August 15, 2022 9:23 AM

R14 And what of the mother? If she was complicit in keeping the kids indoors indefinitely, isn't that a form of child abuse?

by Anonymousreply 15August 15, 2022 9:27 AM

I don't think the mother was "complicit."

She was as much a prisoner in that apartment, as they were. She never left, either.

I think they were all scared of the father. And if you listen to her, she sounds mentally unwell.

The mother doesn't seem very emotionally attached to either her family, or her kids.

Something is definitely off about her.

by Anonymousreply 16August 15, 2022 2:07 PM

Their parents were or maybe still are Hare Krishna and that's why they have Indian names.

I watched the documentary a while back. They all had the Stockholm Syndrome as near as I can gather. The oldest did what they had to do for the family.

Some of their overall story doesn't quite ring true but there's no way the Wolfpack brothers are just grand actors or something. They all have a similar affect which is somewhat akin to mild autism.

I don't want to know what went on behind closed doors with some of them because it is really odd that the dad has been MIA once the Wolfpack family story was made public.

by Anonymousreply 17August 15, 2022 2:23 PM

No wonder the 20/20 video didn't mention it.

They are STILL living with their father in that NY apartment, and the mother is still with him.

Thankfully, there was no violence between them. But the film maker son said that the boys just ignore their father, as if he doesn't exist. A couple of the boys even moved out.

But the mother still talks to him, and they're still married.

Isn't that like Stockholm Syndrome?

by Anonymousreply 18August 15, 2022 7:22 PM

As of a few years ago, the father was reported to have moved out of the family apartment. There was news coverage of the Angulo family around the time the Turpin situation came to light, and it was reported that the Angulo father lived elsewhere. The mother’s social media indicates that she travels a good deal, is in contact with her relatives, and is active as an advocate for survivors of domestic violence. So, it would be a bit surprising if she is still in close contact with an abusive man, and hopefully the reports that she and the father still live together are outdated. The family’s daughter is developmentally delayed and can never live independently.

My impression of the father in the documentary was that he was an extremely controlling person, and even as the sons approached adulthood they were scared of setting off his temper. The older sons didn’t want to trigger violence against their mother or their younger siblings. Once the family’s situation was revealed and the sons made connections in the outside world, the father’s chokehold was loosened, to some extent. Assuming he is no longer with the rest of the family, he’s probably off abusing somebody else. He was a very disturbed person.

by Anonymousreply 19August 15, 2022 7:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!