Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Look Whose Surpass Ole Blue Eyes and Jerry In Contemporary Relevance

The epitome of coolness, hipness, and throw-away irrelevance, Dino's has so much more commercial value today than in his lifetime and has gone way beyond the kid from Hoboken and Professor Kelp in identification for today's generation. Until his son's death made him a recluse and sapped his vitality in the last part of his life, Dean was the life of the party. I think Scorcese has given up making a movie based on the Nick Tosches book. No one can play him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 15, 2022 2:45 AM

He had a great voice, better than Sinatra's. But he never had a big huge hit like Sinatra or Sammy, did he?

by Anonymousreply 1August 14, 2022 9:24 PM

i cannot bear Jerry Lewis' retard act and hated it even as a child. But Dino's drunk schtick was as bad or worse, always on stage with a drink and a cigarette. People must really have had shit for taste back then. Those terrible comedians, eg Don Rickles, Henny Goodman...

by Anonymousreply 2August 14, 2022 9:25 PM

Sorry, Henny YOUNGMAN

by Anonymousreply 3August 14, 2022 9:26 PM

"always on stage with a drink and a cigarette."

Martin was not an alcoholic. He drank only moderately. And it was usually apple juice in his glass when he did his drunk schtick.

by Anonymousreply 4August 14, 2022 9:30 PM

Goodman, Youngman ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 14, 2022 9:30 PM

[quote]But he never had a big huge hit like Sinatra or Sammy, did he?

My Wiki search showed Memories Are Made of This, That's Amore, Return to Me, and Everybody Loves Somebody Sometimes were top 10 hits in the U.S. Two of them were #1.

by Anonymousreply 6August 14, 2022 9:50 PM

Yeah, I guess That's Amore and Everybody Loves Somebody Somtimes were hits. But not of the magnitude of "My Way" or "New York, New York" or "The Candyman".

by Anonymousreply 7August 14, 2022 9:56 PM

It would be hard to do a good biopic because you'd have to include the presence of both Jerry Lewis and Sinatra in his life. And it would end sadly - that fat old grifter Bonnie Lee Bakley tried to put moves on him..ugh!

Far better to let his recordings and that fabulous voice speak for itself.

by Anonymousreply 8August 14, 2022 9:59 PM

Martin was a better actor in dramatic and light comedies than he was given credit for. I wouldn't put on a record of his while Sinatra was a recording genius despite being beyond contemptible as a human being. I couldn't care less about Frankie when I was a boy. Now listening to his(literally)lps I find him amazing. Listen to his It's All Right With Me from Can Can. Perfection.

by Anonymousreply 9August 14, 2022 10:02 PM

I don’t understand the title of this thread. Is it a Google translation into English? I’ve struggled with several thread titles recently. Is it me?

Maybe I need an MRI or something.

by Anonymousreply 10August 14, 2022 10:12 PM

There's nothing wrong with the title except for the second verb, which should be in the third person.

by Anonymousreply 11August 14, 2022 10:14 PM

[r11] - I’ll book MRIs for both of us.

by Anonymousreply 12August 14, 2022 10:24 PM

transposed 'se'

by Anonymousreply 13August 14, 2022 10:40 PM

I think Henny Goodman opened for Benny Youngman in the late 60s.

by Anonymousreply 14August 14, 2022 10:51 PM

Could someone just reword the title? I can’t figure it out either.

by Anonymousreply 15August 14, 2022 10:58 PM

Look Who Surpasses Ol' Blue Eyes and Jerry (Lewis) in Contemporary Relevance

by Anonymousreply 16August 14, 2022 11:00 PM

Ah, thank you

by Anonymousreply 17August 14, 2022 11:14 PM

Bless you R16.

by Anonymousreply 18August 14, 2022 11:16 PM

The You Must Remember This podcast had a great season on Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr. Lots of good stories.

by Anonymousreply 19August 14, 2022 11:47 PM

I always thought Dean Martin was kind of handsome and sexy.

by Anonymousreply 20August 14, 2022 11:59 PM

Frank Sinatra was by all accounts an asshole but he made some great records. I find too many of Dean's recordings too cheesy.

Nat King Cole, of course, is far superior to both.

And I found Bobby Darin to be cooler than Frank or Dean.

by Anonymousreply 21August 15, 2022 12:11 AM

How exactly has Dean Martin surpassed Frank Sinatra in contemporary relevancy? Any examples? I don't see it.

by Anonymousreply 22August 15, 2022 12:14 AM

Dean Martin early camp.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 15, 2022 12:19 AM

[quote] Look Whose Surpass Ole Blue Eyes and Jerry In Contemporary Relevance

Is this your conclusion op?

by Anonymousreply 24August 15, 2022 12:31 AM

R22: His singing is constantly used in many movies if today, Started with Moonstruck

by Anonymousreply 25August 15, 2022 12:45 AM

of today, I meant

by Anonymousreply 26August 15, 2022 12:45 AM

Martin is really good as the drunk ex-deputy in Howard Hawks' Rio Bravo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 15, 2022 12:51 AM

R27- He was excellent in that movie. I really liked him as an actor and singer. We also watched the Dean Martin show as well. Dean never rehearsed for a show. He ad-libbed every line and was witty and charming. He had great musical guests. My mother adored him, hated Frank Sinatra. Dean was everything Frank wished he could be.

by Anonymousreply 28August 15, 2022 12:57 AM

Dean had a good nose job early in his career. Made him much more handsome.

by Anonymousreply 29August 15, 2022 2:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!