Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oregon is the most beautiful state

Seriously ! The place is lush green with thick forests and crystal clear blue water lakes and streams running across them while snow capped cascade range surrounds them. Some of the scenery is unreal.

You probably saw many lakes where water is deep blue but have you seen a river like Mckenzie river ? Have you seen how blue its water is (look at the video below) ? Have you seen how beautiful Rogue river is (It got a mention in "Mystery of Love" song)?

Mt Hood national forest is breathtaking. So is Pacific coastline. Of course there's Crater lake too but I think Oregon has a million things more beautiful than that.

And Washington state comes state, IMO. I'd also rank West Montana up there with Oregon too.

I have been to almost every state except some North Eastern ones like Maine and New Hampshire but nothing compares to Oregon and Western Montana.

I don't exactly like the regions which are desert like. I mean I like them only for taking pictures and drives once in a while but I don't feel really connected to them. So that rules out a lot of places like Utah, Arizona and Southern California.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 21, 2022 4:02 AM

And Washington state comes second*

by Anonymousreply 1August 14, 2022 8:53 PM

California, Oregon and Washington are all states with a ton of natural beauty.

I would never want to leave the east coast, but I freely admit the west coast has better scenery.

by Anonymousreply 2August 14, 2022 9:02 PM

It’s s great place to get lost and die alone in the wilderness too.

by Anonymousreply 3August 14, 2022 9:03 PM

Indiana is the least beautiful, that's for sure. Hawaii, Alaska, California, Washington and Oregon are all contenders for most beautiful state.

by Anonymousreply 4August 14, 2022 9:05 PM

Hawaii is beautiful landscape. Shitty people.

Alaska beautiful landscape

Washington beautiful with shitty depressed people

California drought wildfire and floods scare the hell out me

by Anonymousreply 5August 14, 2022 9:09 PM

Alaska is gorgeously surreal as well.

by Anonymousreply 6August 14, 2022 9:10 PM

OP, Oregon is beautiful. Have you hiked any of the trails along the Colombia River? It's beautiful in that area and there are several waterfalls. I also really love Astoria and the northern coastal region. Astoria is charming with it's Victorian architecture. Very scenic landscape wherever you go in Oregon. Many beautiful lighthouses too.

by Anonymousreply 7August 14, 2022 9:17 PM

Hahaha.

by Anonymousreply 8August 14, 2022 9:18 PM

"Would you still love me, come winter."

by Anonymousreply 9August 14, 2022 9:21 PM

The entire west coast is beautiful. With the exception of Maine I find the east coast very blah looking in terms of scenery. Just very mundane run of the mill looking.

by Anonymousreply 10August 14, 2022 9:22 PM

I'm from Illinois so both coasts have interesting landscapes for me.

by Anonymousreply 11August 14, 2022 9:24 PM

r7 I did a couple of hikes in Mt Hood National Forest near Lake Trillium (another gorgeous place) and also Cape Lookout trails near Pacific coast. Both the places are too gorgeous. I also drove along Rogue river on OR 230 highway and that place was so calm and tranquilizing.

I am from California and I think what makes Oregon so beautiful is the fact that it feels very mysterious. There aren't many people living there. And except Crater Lake, there aren't many things that come to people's mind when they think about Oregon. All that makes Oregon pleasantly surprising when one visits it. It has so much beauty everywhere that it's tough to suggest which part of the state is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 12August 14, 2022 9:34 PM

Central Oregon, the Bend area is awesome too. If you are into backpacking, Washington state actually blows Oregon away, I say that as an Oregonian.

by Anonymousreply 13August 14, 2022 9:34 PM

Are there biting black flies or mosquitoes during warm weather?

by Anonymousreply 14August 14, 2022 9:37 PM

Have you ever heard of fucking Portland Oregon???

by Anonymousreply 15August 14, 2022 9:37 PM

r15 Well, yes. Portland is good too but it's a city and I am talking about scenic getaways.

by Anonymousreply 16August 14, 2022 9:40 PM

Areas around Portland are very scenic

by Anonymousreply 17August 14, 2022 9:49 PM

OP, the desert landscape in eastern Oregon is also an interesting are. I think Crater Lake is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 18August 14, 2022 10:14 PM

Oregon is also amazing for being the location of the trailer that Tonya Harding grew up in!

by Anonymousreply 19August 14, 2022 10:20 PM

Agree with R2, the West Coast scenery blows the East Coast away. Much western scenery can truly be called "awesome." However, there is beauty on the East Coast, albeit of a more humble and pastoral nature than the West Coast. The Hudson River Valley is gorgeous as are the various mountain ranges up and down the east.

by Anonymousreply 20August 14, 2022 10:31 PM

Vermont is beautiful. The West Coast may be prettier, but no way can you say Vermont is run-of-the-mill. Same for parts of New York, New Hampshire and Massachusetts. Maine is beautiful, too.

by Anonymousreply 21August 14, 2022 10:37 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 22August 15, 2022 12:25 AM

I grew up in Portland, and have lived in 16 states after college in all regions (traveling nurse). Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, and Alaska are the most beautiful in my opinion. Hawaii is the only place that would be tolerable in the winter, and I would hate to live there full time (too isolated).

by Anonymousreply 23August 15, 2022 12:38 AM

I went to a forest outside Eugene and sat in a hot spring next to the Willamette river. It was glorious. My only disappointment was noticing a pool right on the rivers edge as we were leaving. We'd been so close and didn't see it, probably because the naked senior citizen soakers on the opposite bank were in the direct line of sight of it. lol

The hike in was so green and lush with giant ferns. It felt like a land before time. I believe there are wildfires there now.

by Anonymousreply 24August 15, 2022 1:04 AM

[quote] OP, the desert landscape in eastern Oregon is also an interesting are.

I always forget that half of Oregon is desert. I've never been east of Bend.

by Anonymousreply 25August 15, 2022 7:51 PM

I’ve been to 47 states and 51 countries. My absolute favorite airport approach has been landing in Portland. Seeing Mt. Hood peaking out of the clouds as you descend is just unbelievably beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 26August 15, 2022 7:55 PM

Oregon had a desert? Wtf?

by Anonymousreply 27August 15, 2022 7:57 PM

*has

by Anonymousreply 28August 15, 2022 7:57 PM

R27, yes. It looks like this apparently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 15, 2022 7:59 PM

I did not know that.

by Anonymousreply 30August 15, 2022 8:05 PM

I've visited Eugene and Florence. The ocean in Oregon is so beautiful. The people were very kind, surprisingly so, and the coffee was delicious. I liked Eugene's hippie-dippie vibe, it felt like barely anyone lived there however.

by Anonymousreply 31August 15, 2022 8:18 PM

Eastern Oregon, even though not green, is stunning too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 15, 2022 11:05 PM

[quote]I always forget that half of Oregon is desert. I've never been east of Bend.

If you like to hike or backpack you should go to the Wallowas. The town of Joseph is small but very nice and there is a state park for camping that is very close to some incredible hikes and especially backpacking trails.

by Anonymousreply 33August 16, 2022 4:14 AM

I'm an Oregonian and yeah, it's varied and mostly beautiful. I have a soft spot for the central/eastern desert part, as I spent the best bits of my childhood there.

Sadly, whenever I visit my family now (in the part where everyone lives, the Willamette Valley), another forest or meadow is gone, replaced by vast asphalt parking lots, big box stores, and ticky tacky housing developments. I know that's what happened everywhere there are humans, but to see it happening in real time is fucking depressing.

by Anonymousreply 34August 16, 2022 5:13 AM

[quote]Oregon had a desert? Wtf?

It's more like barren grassland/ranchland - it's not like Arizona desert. And parts of eastern Oregon are forest.

I've lived in Oregon for 20 years and I think the most amazing thing I've seen here is Hells Canyon between Oregon and Idaho. It's phenomenal (it's deeper than the Grand Canyon), but no one goes there because it's so far from everything. But if you go to the Wallowas like R33 recommends, and you definitely should, make sure you go to Hells Canyon.

by Anonymousreply 35August 16, 2022 5:25 AM

R33, I love hiking/camping and that sounds lovely. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 36August 17, 2022 1:06 AM

This thread is getting boring. How many of you have attended a gang bang in Oregon? I imagine it must be wet and cold…mushrooms growing out of your ass.

by Anonymousreply 37August 17, 2022 2:43 AM

Colorado is beautiful as well.

by Anonymousreply 38August 17, 2022 8:15 PM

Only half of it, r38.

by Anonymousreply 39August 17, 2022 8:18 PM

Where do you live, OP?

I ask because I was born in Alaska, raised in Washington, and retired to Oregon and I’ve never met a PNW native who wasn’t sworn to silence about the region.

Seriously, you may discuss the horrific traffic in Seattle, the unending rain, the exorbitant housing prices, the proximity to Idaho, and the length of the lift lines at the ski areas, but you may NOT extol the virtues of the place.

by Anonymousreply 40August 17, 2022 8:26 PM

I grew up in Portland in the 70’s and people complained about the rude Californians moving in way back then. I can remember my mom blaming Californians every time someone would piss her off while driving. R38, Colorado doesn’t even compare. Denver is one of the ugliest cities that I’ve ever visited. The mountain towns are pretty, but basic. Fundies everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 41August 17, 2022 8:33 PM

It's hard to visit woodsy Oregon and not be charmed by some of those riverfront homes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 17, 2022 9:40 PM

California has more varied and spectacular scenery, but Oregon is fabulous too, and California doesn't have a Painted Hills area!

Seriously, why aren't the Painted Hills and Blue Basin near John Day in eastern Oregon better known? The hills are amazing, huge bare red, white, and yellow hills with black accents to set off the color, with various other bizarrely colored volcanic rock formations nearby, including the Blue Basin. It's a long drive from an airport to be sure, but an amazing place and well worth a visit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 17, 2022 9:43 PM

I can't find a good picture of the Blue Basin, but it's the second most unearthly place I've ever been, after Antarctica.

The walls of a small bare canyon are indeed faintly blue, layered with blue-green and pale peach-colored rock. It's a few hours drive from Portland, out in the dry country east of the Cascades, but damn. Take the Columbia River drive as far as possible, and check it out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 17, 2022 9:47 PM

This place could be Datalounge Central.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 17, 2022 9:57 PM

What is Ashland like? All I know about is that they have their Shakespeare Festival there.

by Anonymousreply 46August 17, 2022 10:59 PM

If an asteroid ever hits Runyon Canyon at sunset, half of the world's influencers would perish in seconds...

by Anonymousreply 47August 17, 2022 11:01 PM

Wrong thread!

by Anonymousreply 48August 17, 2022 11:02 PM

The people of Oregon and Washington obliterate the natural beauty - and hideous inlands - of these soon-to-blow paradises.

by Anonymousreply 49August 17, 2022 11:09 PM

A46, Ashland is an oasis. It’s small, artsy, boho, progressive, tasteful, expensive, and you may see the occasional Prius that displays a NAMASTE, BITCHES bumper sticker. I love Ashland.

I expected the worst of Medford but it’s not the altogether godforsaken MAGA hellhole I had assumed it would be and, in its defense, you can find car washes and hardware stores there.

by Anonymousreply 50August 20, 2022 4:27 PM

Is it easy to bang the busboy at your progressive vegan restaurants?

by Anonymousreply 51August 20, 2022 7:36 PM

r40 I live in California.

by Anonymousreply 52August 20, 2022 11:19 PM

Meh. What day is it supposed to be sunny there this year? I was underwhelmed by both OR and WA. I don't like mountains in general and hate ones that are volcanic, the beaches are lame compared to the East Coast ones, and your woods are just woods like anywhere else. Nothing special. Oh, and the people were miserable and badly dressed with no prospects.

by Anonymousreply 53August 20, 2022 11:26 PM

Sure, but it's full of drunk drivers and serial killers.

by Anonymousreply 54August 20, 2022 11:31 PM

R52, do you remember the DON’T CALIFORNICATE OREGON bumper stickers? I was a Washingtonian and a kid when they came out. I thought they were funny but not nice and might hurt Californians’ feelings. Everybody seemed to villainize California and I never got why.

Now I’m old and I villainize Idaho. I had a long and scary talk with an Aryan Nations guy at a remote reservoir there once and many years later did wolf advocacy, which put me on the other side of the fence from almost every living, breathing, voting Idahoan. Now I’m willing to go as long a way out of my way as I have to go just to miss that state entirely.

by Anonymousreply 55August 21, 2022 4:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!