Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rural U.S. is defined by toxic well water, industrial waste, drugs, child poverty and domestic violence.

Can’t they do better than this? They vote in the same old local republicans time and time again and it just gets worse every year.

This is a mid-term election and the focus should be on local, state and congressional representation.

What have republicans done for rural voters?

They voted NO on:

Rural environmental protections

Veterans Relief

Pharmaceutical reform

US Manufacturing (Chips)

Vote these bastards out on Nov.

by Anonymousreply 55August 14, 2022 10:07 PM

Democrats could win the largest majorities in history if they can mail this home.

The entire country needs to team up and go door to door and help these people see the light. If they can’t stomach democrats then they need to draw up their own local candidates and not ones that come up through the national Republican Party chains. No more trump crap it’s ruining the country.

There needs to be a national campaign to win back these votors but carried out at the local levels by democracy loving people.

by Anonymousreply 1August 14, 2022 4:01 PM

Can’t they vote independent if they hate democrats so much?

by Anonymousreply 2August 14, 2022 4:03 PM

Why do they hate democrats so much anyway? They aren’t so bad.

At least they aren’t trying to overthrow the country.

by Anonymousreply 3August 14, 2022 4:04 PM

The Republicans wouldn't win as many seats in these areas if the Democrats would just build up their bench and run more candidates.

by Anonymousreply 4August 14, 2022 4:08 PM

Everyone needs to start reminding these people that they are not owning the libs, they are enabling the rethugs to poison their communities.

by Anonymousreply 5August 14, 2022 4:11 PM

Michigan, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 6August 14, 2022 4:12 PM

I just spent a month in a very rural very conservative area. Unfortunately I do think the bad water quality and pollution contributes to brain damage there. A lot of those people are profoundly not ok

by Anonymousreply 7August 14, 2022 4:12 PM

These are the issues of the 2022 midterms.

Not trans people or crt.

This is the whole ballgame.

by Anonymousreply 8August 14, 2022 4:12 PM

It is?

by Anonymousreply 9August 14, 2022 4:13 PM

[quote]Michigan, anyone?

What???

by Anonymousreply 10August 14, 2022 4:14 PM

Democrats have turned the federal deficit around. Republicans don’t fund anything. They wire bill after bill with no funding.

They are the spend but not pay party. The party of dead beats. They are terrible for the economy and offshore all the jobs. Voting no on American manufacturing was a stick in the eye to deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 11August 14, 2022 4:14 PM

How did it get this way?

Republican state assemblies. They are free-for-alls and the local deplroables pay the price time and time again.

by Anonymousreply 12August 14, 2022 4:15 PM

R10, thirsty? Have a glass of Michigan’s finest (lead filled) water

by Anonymousreply 13August 14, 2022 4:15 PM

You don’t even live here. You have no fucking clue what you’re talking about.

by Anonymousreply 14August 14, 2022 4:17 PM

Their hometowns may be rife with toxic well water, industrial waste, drugs, child poverty and domestic violence, OP, but they’ll be DAMNED if they’re gonna let these liberals take their guns away!

by Anonymousreply 15August 14, 2022 4:18 PM

The industrial run off is at record levels in well water across the rural us.

The poisonous chemicals from the foreign owned factories in the rural U.S. has made pollution comeback worse than ever in these rural areas.

They all stink now and seem like whole counties could catch on fire or explode at any minute.

. There is always a Republican state assembly man helping these business cover up the pollution and poison deplorable trailer parks.

The voters do nothing about it and keep voting Republican.

by Anonymousreply 16August 14, 2022 4:18 PM

Datalounge does not like Michigan. There is a ton of animosity towards this state here. We have weed, we’ll probably have magic mushrooms. A stellar governor, we’ll probably lead in climate policies in the coming years, Ford EVs will leave Tesla in the dust. I don’t get it.

by Anonymousreply 17August 14, 2022 4:19 PM

Well, we get cancer from our place where we live, and Daddy got the black lung, and poor Shurleen died of the fantanil last week, but we don't support no party that gives free houses, food, and smartphones and caters to "those people," if you know whom I'm talking about.

by Anonymousreply 18August 14, 2022 4:20 PM

R17 the republicans ruined the water there but thank democrats do a lot of good there.

Michigan is a good example of how horrible Republican leadership can be for rural people bs democratic leadership which is always better for rural areas even though they hate democrats for some reason.

They got it all backwards and upside down.

by Anonymousreply 19August 14, 2022 4:20 PM

Under Snyder, how many years ago? Whitmer is making great strides in correcting this.

by Anonymousreply 20August 14, 2022 4:21 PM

When the republicans where in charge of MI they completely ruined it. Let that be a lesson for all America.

Republicans ruin everything because everything the Dino’s fake and based on one lie or another. You can get anywhere like that. All republicans have to go.

Vote independent if you have to. Stay home if you can’t stomach voting for democrats just don’t vote Republican.

by Anonymousreply 21August 14, 2022 4:22 PM

Always plenty of money for the defense budget, though, no matter which party is in power.

by Anonymousreply 22August 14, 2022 4:22 PM

Rural water quality varies with location. There are places with clean water from aquifers, groundwater is more contaminated, and rural places ( and the same category when converted into suburbia) that previously contained cattle dipping pits which are the most toxic. Sad but true

by Anonymousreply 23August 14, 2022 4:22 PM

People don’t be so dense.

Whitmer IS the good example. Vs Snyder. That’s the whole point of dragging MI into this.

It’s just one example of how democrats do so much better and making these rural and suburban areas cleaner and safer and better. Balanced budgets. Functional government that promotes prosperity for average Americans and not just for the 1%.

by Anonymousreply 24August 14, 2022 4:27 PM

R22 if both sides are the same then just vote democrat.

by Anonymousreply 25August 14, 2022 4:28 PM

R23 yes it does vary. The Republican areas are always more polluted. Cambridge did a detailed scientific study on US rural pollution and they proved that republican held areas are much more deadly and toxic.

by Anonymousreply 26August 14, 2022 4:30 PM

Eastern Kentucky just went through terrible flooding. Mitch the turtle and Ayn Rand Paul have done nothing for them.

They have a chance to get rid of Rand Paul in November and vote for Charles Booker. If I were living there, I might want to try something new.

by Anonymousreply 27August 14, 2022 4:31 PM

[quote]When the republicans where in charge of MI they completely ruined it.

More misinformation. Despite Flint, Snyder was a very Centrist governor. He kept the hard right at bay, he eliminated the business tax that drove people out of the state, expanded Medicaid, and got the Gordie Howe bridge going, despite the hard right being against it.

by Anonymousreply 28August 14, 2022 4:31 PM

I promise you that if you got rid of all these Republican state assembly men and congressional reps then the entire country could prosper like never before.

You need to start imaging what this could look like. A country without Republican oppression. It’s so malignant and destructive.

. We don’t need this crap. It has to end to begin a new chapter in America.

by Anonymousreply 29August 14, 2022 4:32 PM

R28 he mad thousands of kids restarted from lead positioning. Typical Republican gets praise for doing something that democrats do in their sleep

No mercy for these killers. Not until every drop of poisonous toxic pollution is removed from rural and suburban air, water and land.

by Anonymousreply 30August 14, 2022 4:35 PM

You don’t know what you’re talking about.

by Anonymousreply 31August 14, 2022 4:35 PM

Op, what you’re missing is that they value god and guns even more.

by Anonymousreply 32August 14, 2022 4:36 PM

[quote]Whitmer IS the good example. Vs Snyder.

More BS from someone who does not live here.

by Anonymousreply 33August 14, 2022 4:37 PM

Snyder and his band of mercenaries pumped leaded water directly into the mouths of poor people to save the state a couple bucks.

This is the type of extreme ideology that leads to dangerous conditions in rural areas.

by Anonymousreply 34August 14, 2022 4:38 PM

Fuck rural America.

Seriously: Fuck. Them.

They’ve chosen their priorities and have enabled this culture that they live in. Smarter people simply move away.

by Anonymousreply 35August 14, 2022 4:40 PM

Datalounge is nothing but misinformation, it’s really sad.

by Anonymousreply 36August 14, 2022 4:40 PM

Who is sticking up for Republican schumbags in here.

Tell that to all the MI kids who to this day have chronic health issues stemming from his leadership.

All across rural America this is happening where republicans are self enriching while their rural communities go right down the shitter.

Remember this is November.

by Anonymousreply 37August 14, 2022 4:40 PM

The right wing misinformation is everywhere but you have to just keep telling the truth about all the Republican caused strife in rural areas. Keep pushing through.

There are different issues in each state but all of this lowering of quality of life is all because of republicans. Red states are always the last in quality of life. Why is that?

The voters need to make a change themselves. Superman is not coming.

by Anonymousreply 38August 14, 2022 4:42 PM

Plenty of toxic shit caught on fire in my home city in CA just a few years back, the Bay is contaminated and so is the Puget sound.

Industrial extraction industries may prefer repubs but moneymaking knows no limits within either party.

by Anonymousreply 39August 14, 2022 4:44 PM

Some states it’s the waters like Florida and all it’s toxic water ways,, some states it’s the stinky air that burns your nose, some it’s topsoil that will make you sick and for many it’s the well water they drink every day.

Rural America has become a dumping ground for drugs, chemicals and radical terrorism recruitment not to mention a cash cow for religious vultures and various charlatans like trump and DeSantis.

They are leaving noting behind but the bombed out husks.

by Anonymousreply 40August 14, 2022 4:46 PM

R29 at least California does something about it.

by Anonymousreply 41August 14, 2022 4:47 PM

R32 that’s not a good enough answer for me.

Humans don’t behave that way. They don’t give up everything for one thing.

I honestly think it’s because they are angry and hopeless. These are acts of rage. And grief.

It’s the hopelessness you have to go after. You have to give them something to grab onto.

Trump knew this. Unfortunately he was never going to give it to them.

But democrats and independents can give it to them. They just got to get through to rural Republican voters.

by Anonymousreply 42August 14, 2022 4:52 PM

[quote] How did it get this way?

Because propaganda and emotional manipulation work. The emotional is to the factual as 10 is to 1.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 14, 2022 5:01 PM

[quote]Humans don’t behave that way. They don’t give up everything for one thing.

Obviously they do or you wouldn’t have such a large segment of the population willing to do so. Again, your comment reflects a certain ignorance and it’s this same ignorance that prevents democrats from reaching these people in a meaningful way.

by Anonymousreply 44August 14, 2022 5:02 PM

No that’s just not a good enough answer. This is not because of guns. They are just another symptom but not the problem.

The problem is grief and loss of prosperity or at least the chance at it. That’s the fundamental issue.

by Anonymousreply 45August 14, 2022 5:15 PM

Worst tap water in the USA. Blue states are well represented.

Poverty? New Mexico, Puerto Rico, Louisiana, Washington DC are all in the top 10.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 14, 2022 5:23 PM

Not the topic of this thread. ^

For crying out loud. Can we have one thread without stupid contrarian trolls.

by Anonymousreply 47August 14, 2022 5:26 PM

What about the turning of their Republican backs on veterans.

by Anonymousreply 48August 14, 2022 5:26 PM

Would about the millions of deplroables on insulin.

The republicans vote to block the price cap.

Do deplroables enjoy paying more for rx?

by Anonymousreply 49August 14, 2022 5:28 PM

Which states have the highest rate of drug abuse? Blue states are well represented with DC being number 1.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 14, 2022 5:30 PM

[quote]Who is sticking up for Republican schumbags in here. Tell that to all the MI kids who to this day have chronic health issues stemming from his leadership.

Flint was bankrupted by years of reckless management. So much so that they could't afford to properly treat their water. Republicans failed to warn the public when they learned of the problems, and they should be prosecuted for their negligence, but the majority of the fault lies in the city officials who failed to properly maintain and upgrade their facilities.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 14, 2022 5:39 PM

[quote]The problem is grief and loss of prosperity or at least the chance at it. That’s the fundamental issue.

Honey, no…you’d be amazed at how many of them aren’t dirt poor. And even for those who are poor…they come from generations of poverty so there’s no grief and loss of something they never had.

by Anonymousreply 52August 14, 2022 7:42 PM

That's the way they're used to living, OP -- they don't know any different, and if you gave them the chance at a "better life," they'd fuck it up until it's exactly like the one they have now.

One of my neighbors (a registered child sex offender who abused a 9-year-old girl and who lives two blocks away with his wife and three boys) has his yard almost entirely blocked from public view. There is only one way to see into it. I have to walk that way almost every day, so sadly, I see it. He has turned his big backyard into a trash dump, piles and piles of old chairs, mattresses, tires, trash bags, etc. And lots of dogs -- literally, junkyard dogs. He likes to set the trash on fire, blowing toxic fumes all over the neighborhood. Of course, three miles away is the local dump where it is completely free and legal to dump your trash, but why would one sully the back of one's gigantic truck by putting trash in it and driving it there? It's more fun to burn stuff.

When you guys write about people in poverty, it's so obvious to me that you have never lived in a dirt-poor neighborhood full of "good ol' boys." These are the kind of people that, if they won 20 million today in the lottery, they'd be living back in their old trailer in a year. They don't know how to make good decisions (financial or otherwise) or take care of nice things. Trump's gold toilet is their idea of what a rich person should spend his/her money on. They buy a new used vehicle and wreck it driving drunk a week later and lose their license because it's their third DUI. Still, they keep driving. And every single one of the things I write about here on DL is someone I know in my neighborhood. And yes, I'm a liberal Democrat, but one doesn't throw good money after bad.

I was walking up the street this morning at 7AM and saw a car careen around a corner and almost hit a pedestrian. A police car came up perhaps a minute later and turned lights and siren on. At 7 on a Sunday morning!

I worked as a statistician in a county child welfare agency (not in my current county) and when I researched "the literature" on social programs for children, statistically speaking, if you don't get them in those programs before they're 7, nothing will change their future behavior. That county still tried, though.

I keep telling you guys, no amount of money or social programs will help these people. They believe in their hearts there is absolutely nothing wrong with they way they live. You'd have to take the kids from them when they're born and have middle-class families raise them. And even then, heredity may still prevail.

Come visit me in Deplorable Haven! I'll give you the tour.

by Anonymousreply 53August 14, 2022 9:44 PM

Rural America tends to vote GOP.

This shit is exactly what they voted for

by Anonymousreply 54August 14, 2022 9:48 PM

You are wrong R18. Those people do not use the word Whom.

by Anonymousreply 55August 14, 2022 10:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!