Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Scream (1996)

A group of teens become the targets of a mysterious killer in a Halloween costume known as Ghostface.

Directed by Wes Craven

Written by Kevin Williamson

Music by Marco Beltrami

Starring Neve Campbell, David Arquette, Courtney Cox, Skeet Ulrich, Matthew Lillard, Rose McGowan, Jamie Kennedy, W. Earl Brown, Henry Winkler, Liev Schreiber, and Drew Barrymore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153October 20, 2023 1:12 PM

Drew Barrymore was a bold move.

by Anonymousreply 1August 14, 2022 3:45 PM

I forgot about that nurse-y haircut.

by Anonymousreply 2August 14, 2022 3:49 PM

As if this movie hasn’t been discussed like 15 times already this year, you needed to make another thread?

by Anonymousreply 3August 14, 2022 3:50 PM

Pay me more because I get so many other offers like um....like um.....

by Anonymousreply 4August 14, 2022 3:54 PM

R4 While she isn't getting tons of offers, if she ever needs money she could make a killing at conventions.

by Anonymousreply 5August 14, 2022 4:23 PM

She does make a killing. She was at one recently and was signing until 10pm.

by Anonymousreply 6August 14, 2022 4:26 PM

OP since you also created the IKWYDLS thread, might I suggest doing Urban Legend next.

by Anonymousreply 7August 14, 2022 4:27 PM

Courteney Cox's original face!

by Anonymousreply 8August 14, 2022 4:28 PM

Here's Sidney raising a toast to Ghostface!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 14, 2022 4:32 PM

This was so much fun! I am a major horror fan and saw this in the theatre in 8th or 9th grade. I loved this cast - they were all on point and it was a fantastic ride, something totally different. I'm not a huge fan of the sequels except getting to see Jada get knifed in the beginning of the second one. Wes Craven is the master!

by Anonymousreply 10August 14, 2022 5:14 PM

Scream 15: a new killer dons the ghostface mask and begins targeting the grandmothers residing at the Woosboro Nursing Home. Sidney and Gale now enjoying Bingo Club at the care home must team up and stop the killer once and for all.

by Anonymousreply 11August 14, 2022 5:49 PM

[quote] might I suggest doing Urban Legend next

OMG! There was a series of this shit movies that were still highly entertaining after Scream and I was still in school and under 18, so my friends and I went to the movies to see all these. Does anyone remember "Valentine" which I think might also have had Rebecca Gayheart (sp?). No memorable, but fun.

IKWYDLS was the only movie that came right after Scream that worked and it was all cast. Ryan Phillpe at his most beautiful, SMG looking hot and amazing, JLH thrusting her tits at everything, even as she is fighting the killer, FPJ - great film, great setting. RIP Anne Heche who is always a standout playing crazy and unhinged.

by Anonymousreply 12August 14, 2022 6:12 PM

Skeet Ulrich has aged like a fine wine.

by Anonymousreply 13August 14, 2022 6:37 PM

Rose McGowan was so fun in this movie! I lost a lot of interest after she was killed off

by Anonymousreply 14August 14, 2022 6:39 PM

Matthew Lillard OTOH has aged liked stale milk. Jamie Kennedy actually grew into a more attractive adult than when he was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 15August 14, 2022 6:40 PM

Agreed, this and Doom Generation made me fall in love with Rose. Now I can't stand her but I was massive Rose fan and loved Tatum.

by Anonymousreply 16August 14, 2022 6:41 PM

Why is he pretending to have just watched these movies when his accounts show he was all over the threads from earlier this year?

by Anonymousreply 17August 14, 2022 6:41 PM

And he’s conversing with himself

by Anonymousreply 18August 14, 2022 6:41 PM

As a kid I used to used to jerk off to Matthew Davis' naked ass in Urban Legend 2

by Anonymousreply 19August 14, 2022 6:49 PM

I liked Henry Winkler as the creepy principal.

by Anonymousreply 20September 3, 2022 9:56 PM

Overrated 90s garbage along with I know who you fucked in the ass last summer.

by Anonymousreply 21September 3, 2022 9:58 PM

I don’t get the OP… was this like a bot who reposts imdb pages? What’s the take? What’s the angle for the discussion?

by Anonymousreply 22September 3, 2022 9:58 PM

Fun trilogy. The new one with the diversity rainbow cast was cringe.

by Anonymousreply 23September 3, 2022 10:01 PM

You literally keep making the same threads over and over. I’m gonna look into what mental illness that is a sign of.

by Anonymousreply 24September 3, 2022 10:02 PM

it is a fun movie

by Anonymousreply 25September 3, 2022 10:38 PM

Tasteful friends: Drew Barrymore's house from the opening scene. Looks way nicer in the daylight. It still has the same stove with the zig zag grate that she cooked the jiffy pop on and the same Sub Zero fridge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 4, 2022 12:39 AM

Wes Craven's best film

by Anonymousreply 27September 4, 2022 5:43 PM

Scream is not better than Elm Street 1. I'm sorry R27. I loved Scream and it's a great fun film, but it is not nearly as scary as some of Craven's other films. The Last House on the Left, etc.

by Anonymousreply 28September 4, 2022 5:54 PM

R28 okay, it is top three Wes Craven then

by Anonymousreply 29September 4, 2022 7:29 PM

Scream was very unsettling, Neve Campbell made Sidney' s fear very real. She's not a great actress, but she can be effective as she was here.

by Anonymousreply 30September 4, 2022 7:40 PM

Thanks for commentary, Lacey. Now get back to the set of A Christmas Cornhole.

by Anonymousreply 31September 4, 2022 9:15 PM

I did not like this film, I think I’m in the minority.

by Anonymousreply 32September 4, 2022 9:40 PM

You are. But lucky for you, Bank of America is ready to give you a mortgage!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 5, 2022 1:25 AM

Bam! Bitch went down!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 5, 2022 2:03 AM

Op why did you post this? Are you under 25 ?🤨

I personally remember being a teen watching this and feeling traumatized when Drew was shanked. It was a very popular movie.

by Anonymousreply 35September 5, 2022 2:16 AM

I like the one where Jada Punkass gets sliced up. I think it’s the sequel.

by Anonymousreply 36September 5, 2022 2:19 AM

The thing that the overstuffed sequels were never able to recreate was the sense of remoteness of the original. The production had notorious problems in Santa Rosa but the vast estates over creepy farmland just made the whole thing scarier. There was a vast wide open for the killer to chase you and no help for miles.

Woodsboro in 4 and 5 looks like a totally different place. There’s a socioeconomic element to the original that is less evident. These were wealthy, wealthy kids who were so bored and indulged that they started to cut up their friends for fun. That’s scary. The killer in 4 may have had some jealously over this to add to the motive, but class wasn’t really an issue in the others.

by Anonymousreply 37September 5, 2022 2:25 AM

Woodsboro looks so dumpy in 5. Don't try to substitute Wilmington for Napa.

by Anonymousreply 38September 5, 2022 3:31 AM

R37 I agree! I would also like to add the party scene at the end. If there was a serial killer on the loose, parents would not let their kid go out. But these kids are rich, white, educated. Nothing ever happens in this Northern California small town.

Courtney Cox gave a good performance

by Anonymousreply 39September 5, 2022 7:32 PM

Courtney Cox was a grade A bitch.

by Anonymousreply 40September 6, 2022 2:00 AM

The first 15 minutes of the original Scream are so good that the rest of the film is just not as good and yet I like the film overall.

The sequel is more enjoyable to me.

Scream 5 would have been so much better without Melissa. She is a terrible actress and lacks any charisma.

by Anonymousreply 41September 6, 2022 2:10 AM

R41 In what ways is the sequel more enjoyable? Laurie Metcalf?

by Anonymousreply 42September 6, 2022 3:04 AM

It was more black.

by Anonymousreply 43September 6, 2022 3:31 AM

I liked the opening homage to He Knows You're Alone, I did like the conversations between Omar Epps and Jada, I like the college setting, Neve, Courtney and David really settled into their roles, Laurie Metcalf was great too. It's a good sequel.

by Anonymousreply 44September 6, 2022 3:35 AM

R44 True. When is Laurie Metcalf not great?

by Anonymousreply 45September 6, 2022 3:41 AM

It's boring

by Anonymousreply 46September 6, 2022 9:27 PM

Scream (2022) looked cheap. The scenes at the farmhouse looked like a set.

by Anonymousreply 47September 7, 2022 1:02 AM

What’s great about Laurie Metcalf is you KNOW early on she is involved because she was too big a star to play a small role, but you don’t know HOW she is involved until the reveal.

by Anonymousreply 48September 7, 2022 1:42 AM

R48 was she a big star in 1997?

by Anonymousreply 49September 7, 2022 12:42 PM

[quote] Scream (2022) looked cheap. The scenes at the farmhouse looked like a set.

Um, they were a set.

by Anonymousreply 50September 7, 2022 1:04 PM

R50 I haven't seen the new one, but the original was mostly filmed in real houses in Northern California

by Anonymousreply 51September 7, 2022 1:15 PM

Yeah, they were. But since the new one was filmed in Wilmington, the entire house was recreated on soundstages.

by Anonymousreply 52September 7, 2022 5:53 PM

R52 Wilmington Delaware??

by Anonymousreply 53September 7, 2022 5:54 PM

North Carolina

by Anonymousreply 54September 7, 2022 6:43 PM

R48, it didn’t feel that way when I saw it in theaters in 1997. Sitcom stars always showed up in supporting, slightly comedic roles in movies at the time. It was easy to believe that she was just an annoying reporter pestering Gale. It was an inspired touch and a big surprise when she came in at the end. She was definitely the most talented performer to play Ghostface and did a terrific job.

I hope she comes back as a hallucination like Ghost Billy did in the last. She is Sam’s grandmother after all.

by Anonymousreply 55September 8, 2022 2:48 AM

The original inspiration for the movie was the Gainesville Ripper but he didn’t wear a mask.

by Anonymousreply 56September 8, 2022 3:37 AM

The best part of the movie is that Drew gets gutted in the first 10 minutes. Very satisfying.

by Anonymousreply 57September 8, 2022 12:33 PM

Gale Weathers was a total bitch in this one

by Anonymousreply 58September 8, 2022 1:07 PM

Remember the crappy stovetop popcorn?

Who eats that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59September 8, 2022 11:47 PM

^ Can't be worse than microwave, right?

by Anonymousreply 60September 8, 2022 11:49 PM

^ Can’t be worse than Drew’s wig she bought from a Party City discount bin

by Anonymousreply 61September 8, 2022 11:57 PM

Drew Barrymore was dressed like a mom in this movie

by Anonymousreply 62September 9, 2022 2:06 AM

She wore a wig MADE for shitting in.

by Anonymousreply 63September 9, 2022 3:09 AM

I love Jiffy Pop!!!

by Anonymousreply 64September 9, 2022 4:23 AM

Everyone was so young and pretty in the mid-90s. I just watched "Walking And Talking" (1996) with Anne Heche and it made me nostalgic. They were using rotary phones and renting video cassettes.

Maybe 9/11 made everyone jaded and morose?

by Anonymousreply 65September 9, 2022 4:47 AM

Walking, and talking? I’m jealous.

by Anonymousreply 66September 9, 2022 4:54 AM

R59, as a child of the 80s, I remember Jiffy Pop was still around frequently when I was young. Not many families had popcorn machines, and microwave popcorn didn't come in majorly until a little later in the 80s, from what I recall. But you're right, Jiffy Pop was not very good. It did seem to burn easily, and it always had a stale, artificial flavor.

by Anonymousreply 67September 9, 2022 5:09 AM

R14 watching her wax dummy head get squished by a garage door is the highlight of this movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 9, 2022 5:11 AM

R68 Hi Harvey

by Anonymousreply 69September 9, 2022 6:35 AM

I too thought that Laurie Metcalf's character was comic relief until the reveal.

by Anonymousreply 70September 9, 2022 12:52 PM

R65 it was 20 some years ago.

It wasn't the 1940s! You make it sound so old! It was not THAT old.

by Anonymousreply 71September 10, 2022 5:22 AM

Captain Obvious strikes again!

by Anonymousreply 72September 10, 2022 5:25 AM

Scream had a great soundtrack. The best of the 1990's

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73November 21, 2022 5:22 PM

You had to be there in the 90s to appreciate the wild success of it. Horror movies had been out of vogue for years. Drew was making her comeback from her bad girl days with a new starring role. No one expected her to die in the first 15 minutes - she was the face of all of the advertising. Courtney Cox was playing against type. Neve, Skeet, Rose, Jamie, Matthew etc were the last of the new teen rising stars right before everyone really had the internet and cell phones. It introduced a generation to what “meta” was. It was a lightning in a bottle moment that you had to be there for. Being in high school for the 1-2 punch that was Scream and Scream 2 the next year was fun af.

by Anonymousreply 74November 21, 2022 5:33 PM

[quote] "Agreed, this and Doom Generation made me fall in love with Rose. "

I love "The Doom Generation", R16. The first "Scream" film was alright, but the series never excited me. Particularly because I don't care for Neve Campbell. Especially when she starts "crying"...I want to viciously slap her face.

by Anonymousreply 75November 21, 2022 5:36 PM

R74 don't forget the one adult in the entire film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76November 21, 2022 7:46 PM

Yeah I remember it. It was the cool thing.

Then I know what you did last summer and Cruel Intentions and She's All that and 10 things I hate about you. I remember watching Deep Impact in school and wondering why Tea Leoni stared so long into the camera. Then Armageddon.

Now we're in our 40s and it's just weird.

by Anonymousreply 77November 22, 2022 12:32 AM

R26-Nice house, in an upmarket area but I would have never guessed over 5 million.

by Anonymousreply 78November 22, 2022 12:49 AM

“And over here on the south lawn, you can see the spot where Drew Barrymore was gutted like a fish…”

by Anonymousreply 79November 22, 2022 12:58 AM

I was in elementary school when Scream came out—first grade, to be specific. I was obsessed with horror movies from a young age, but my parents wouldn’t let me watch it until I was almost middle-school aged because they thought it was too violent. They pretty much relented and let me watch whatever I wanted by the time I was 10 or 11, so I would go crazy renting horror movies every week.

I was a big fan of Scream when I was younger, and while I still love the series, I rewatched the first three films last month and found that, aside from a handful of brilliant moments, they don’t have a huge rewatchability factor for me. I frankly much prefer the more straightforward slasher flicks of that era, such as I Know What You Did Last Summer and Urban Legend.

by Anonymousreply 80November 22, 2022 2:49 AM

I was 7 when Scream came out and i remember catching it on TV. That opening scene with Drew disturbed the shit out of me. So naturally i decided to keep watching 😄

by Anonymousreply 81November 22, 2022 3:04 AM

R80 Those other movies were just Scream rip offs, although they're good and of the same era. Also what's wrong with your parents that they let you watch these movies at 10 and 11?!?

by Anonymousreply 82November 22, 2022 3:05 AM

R81 7 years old and watching a hard R horror movie?! Geez where were your parents? No.

by Anonymousreply 83November 22, 2022 3:07 AM

R82 / R83 our parents were gen X-ers

by Anonymousreply 84November 22, 2022 3:09 AM

Some of you were kids when Scream came out? God, I feel old. I remember being eight when the original A Nightmare on Elm Street came out in 1984 and was terrified of Freddy.

by Anonymousreply 85November 22, 2022 3:09 AM

R83 censorship was not a big thing in our house. Although my parents were asleep when this happened.

by Anonymousreply 86November 22, 2022 3:10 AM

R85 Old? I remember being in high school and seeing this cool movie called Halloween which starred the daughter of the woman from Psycho. And yes, that’s what I was thinking at the time in the theater when it first came out.

by Anonymousreply 87November 22, 2022 3:18 AM

^Thanks for making me feel young again!

by Anonymousreply 88November 22, 2022 3:40 AM

I watched Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street when I was a kid, didn't bother me. I knew they were just movies. I could still be scared or unnerved by them, but I knew they were not real.

I think the Scream series is one of the most consistent series overall. I don't actively dislike any of them.

by Anonymousreply 89November 22, 2022 3:45 AM

Friday the 13th movies were the big horror movies when I was in junior high, and I think Nightmare on Elm Street came out my junior or senior.

My older siblings were in high school when the original Halloween came out. I remember talk of how it kind of freaked them out. I feel like of all the movie mentioned, that one really genuinely scared the teenagers watching it at the time. Friday and Nightmare had some scary moments in the theater, but I feel like Halloween might have stayed under people's skin for a while made it more difficult for people to sleep for a few nights.

by Anonymousreply 90November 22, 2022 3:48 AM

I haven't seen the latest one but Scream 4 just didn't work for me. I wish they'd picked someone else instead of Emma Roberts, she was so obnoxious. I think Kirby is being brought back for Scream 6?

No idea what the MTV show was like 🤔

by Anonymousreply 91November 22, 2022 3:51 AM

Halloween is the grandfather of the modern slasher. It’s excellent and terrifying. Granted, it does become tamer with more viewings, but Carpenter’s score and the camera work and lighting are frightening.

by Anonymousreply 92November 22, 2022 3:52 AM

R92 ahem…

by Anonymousreply 93November 22, 2022 4:55 AM

Black Christmas was Halloween’s template, but it didn’t start the craze that begat Friday the 13th, Elm Street and a barrage of other slasher films. And it’s not as scary as Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 94November 22, 2022 10:50 AM

At the end when the killer is banging on the basement door screaming still chills me to this day.

by Anonymousreply 95November 22, 2022 1:48 PM

And Friday the 13th was inspired by the Italian thriller "Bay of Blood" made 10 years earlier which featured teens being killed by a lake using exactly the same methods. Horror films back then were usually about adults. I notice the horror films of the 60s and early 70s seem much more sophisticated than the teen slashers that followed. Then there was Alice Sweet Alice in 1976, one of the first to have the killer wearing a creepy mask.

by Anonymousreply 96November 22, 2022 1:53 PM

Gale Weather's was originally written for Janeane Garofalo, but she turned it down and later called it "the single biggest mistake of my career"

Brooke Shields was then offered it but she had just got a sitcom at NBC, Suddenly Susan, and the filming would have conflicted with that

Kevin Williamson than wanted Heather Locklear, and felt Gale would work better as a blonde bitch, opposite dark haired Neve, Heather loved the script and wanted to do it but the bizarre shooting schedule of Melrose Place (a whopping 34 episodes a year, 90210 too) meant that she only had one month where she wasn't filming the show, so she couldn't do it either

by Anonymousreply 97November 22, 2022 3:14 PM

R97 Courteney Cox was perfect as Gale.

by Anonymousreply 98November 22, 2022 3:24 PM

I liked the character progression of Gale and Dewey through Scream 4, but what they did to them in Scream 5 aka Scream (2022) was inexcusable.

by Anonymousreply 99November 22, 2022 3:32 PM

You just know Matthew Lillard is hung like a moose. He was so hot! Still is.

by Anonymousreply 100November 22, 2022 3:38 PM

I wish they would have kept Tatum alive in the series. She and Sidney teaming up to take on Ghostface would have been more compelling than her and Dewey.

Gale was always bitchy.

by Anonymousreply 101November 22, 2022 3:40 PM

I saw him in a play where he was wearing tighty-whities, r100. It would appear you are correct.

by Anonymousreply 102November 22, 2022 3:41 PM

R92/R93 Ahem… The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Last House on the Left (coincidentally the director of Scream, Wes Craven’s, first film).

by Anonymousreply 103November 22, 2022 4:43 PM

R101 yeah, but Ghostface did a public safety service and got rid of Tatum's nipples. She could poke an eye out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104November 22, 2022 4:52 PM

Henry Winkler's death was a complete shock in theaters. He was in none of the promos. He was the only adult/real authority figure with more than one scene. Then DAMN Alice Cooper's School's Out for the Summer blares before you even realize he's dead.

by Anonymousreply 105November 22, 2022 5:04 PM

[quote] Brooke Shields was then offered it but she had just got a sitcom at NBC, Suddenly Susan, and the filming would have conflicted with that

Are you sure about that? Scream was filmed April - June 1996. She would've shot the pilot for Suddenly Susan before that and started filming weekly in July.

by Anonymousreply 106November 23, 2022 3:29 AM

Heather would have been decent but Courtney was absolutely perfect and it was fun to see her play a bitch (although I believe Courtney played a bitchy character in Roxanne: The Prize Pulitzer).

by Anonymousreply 107November 23, 2022 4:16 AM

[Quote] but the bizarre shooting schedule of Melrose Place (a whopping 34 episodes a year, 90210 too)

Looking back that's insane. But you see some actors complain now when they have to do more than 10 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 108November 23, 2022 5:36 AM

They may complain about working more but they also make less money. A series season order of 22-35 episodes (however many each 90s series season episodes there were) would generate more salary than a 7-10 episode season series order they have now. Plus syndication residuals which used to make big bucks once a show made it to 100 episodes

That’s why 90s TV stars were so rich.

by Anonymousreply 109November 23, 2022 11:54 AM

R109 90210 and Melrose Place did so many episodes a season because they were serialized and you couldn't just show a random episode out of order in a rerun, so FOX stopped reruns, reruns also performaned badly ratings wise because again you have 4-6 continuing storylines going on in any given episode, and decided to do extra episodes instead, a lot of the 90210/Melrose cast members were unhappy about that because it ruined lots of outside projects for them

I remember reading Melrose would wrap in mid April and by early June would back I'm production for the following season, they had 6 weeks off

by Anonymousreply 110November 23, 2022 12:02 PM

[quote] Gale Weather's was originally written for Janeane Garofalo, but she turned it down and later called it "the single biggest mistake of my career"

I didn't know this - I can see it but I can't see her playing vulnerable/frightened at all.

by Anonymousreply 111November 23, 2022 12:15 PM

Yeah, I remember some behind the scenes thing on Melrose and the cast would say they would shoot two episodes at a time and sometimes you were doing scenes from the second episode first. It's hard enough when you shoot one episode out of order but two at the same time?

by Anonymousreply 112November 23, 2022 1:48 PM

Unless you were there in 1996, you won't understand it

by Anonymousreply 113November 23, 2022 3:48 PM

The world started when I was born

by Anonymousreply 114November 23, 2022 3:50 PM

R114 Not true

by Anonymousreply 115November 23, 2022 6:46 PM

[Quote] a lot of the 90210/Melrose cast members were unhappy about that because it ruined lots of outside projects for them

One of the 90210 actors said they were over the show by season 5. Yet most of them stuck around until season 10. I think SMG also resented doing Buffy because it prevented her from doing other roles. Cracks me up that they mocked her in Scream 3 with the Sarah Darling character.

by Anonymousreply 116November 24, 2022 1:03 AM

Attached is SCREAM: The Inside Story

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117November 24, 2022 8:36 PM

Billy: "We did your mom a favor, Sid. That woman was a slut-bag whore who flashed her shit all over town like she was Sharon Stone or somethin'. "

Stu: "And let's face it Sidney, your mother was no Sharon Stone."

by Anonymousreply 118November 27, 2022 10:07 PM

[quote] I think SMG also resented doing Buffy because it prevented her from doing other roles.

Think of the great roles she might have played during that time!

Cathy Whitaker in "Far from Heaven"... Virginia Woolf in "The Hours"... Queen Victoria in "Mrs. Brown"...

by Anonymousreply 119November 27, 2022 10:23 PM

Sarah Michelle Gellar has some great roles in the late 1990's/early 2000's:

Buffy

I Know What You Did Last Summer

Scream 2

Scooby-Doo

by Anonymousreply 120November 27, 2022 10:30 PM

Am I the only one who thought Laurie Metcalf was ridiculously over-the-top, especially in the big reveal scene at the theater.

by Anonymousreply 121November 27, 2022 10:32 PM

R121 Laurie Metcalf can do no wrong

by Anonymousreply 122November 27, 2022 10:35 PM

I could easily see Heather as Gale, but Courtney was fantastic. Such a departure from her performance as Monica and she gives Gale a heart, especially in part 2. Her romance with Dewey was always so adorable. She and David really did have excellent chemistry together.

The thing that strikes me the most about the best openings of the series are how sad they are. There's something so tragic about Drew reaching out for her parents and not being able to get their attention and Jada believing her boyfriend is the one who stabbed her and everyone in the theater thinking it's a publicity stunt. Those are really scary, heartbreaking scenes.

Laurie Metcalf was the scariest killer in the series. Something about her big, wild eyes and theatrical performance really sold the insanity of this woman. I did think Emma Roberts was the surprising stand out of part 4 once she was revealed to be the killer. Her bratty, entitled thing was a nice mix of funny, annoying, and bone-chilling. She barely registers until the last 20 minutes and then goes for broke. Little did we know she'd be playing essentially the same role for the next decade of her career.

by Anonymousreply 123November 27, 2022 10:36 PM

I always felt Laurie Metcalf and Timothy Olyphant were having an affair

by Anonymousreply 124November 27, 2022 10:44 PM

I really liked Laurie in Scream 2 as a gay who loves theatrics. I remember seeing it in the theatre with a bunch of straights…they were less amused

by Anonymousreply 125November 27, 2022 11:52 PM

The opening of Scream is sad because Drew makes you care about her. She really pulled that off which is why I think she deserved a Supporting nomination. She did what Janet Leigh did in Psycho and made you care about her character and Drew even had less screen time than Leigh.

The subsequent openings are not as strong because they don't have that emotional element to them.

by Anonymousreply 126November 27, 2022 11:53 PM

R120 and she was good in The Grudge. Now she's doing a gay werewolf show.

by Anonymousreply 127November 27, 2022 11:54 PM

Scream has the best opening of any money

by Anonymousreply 128November 28, 2022 12:13 AM

[quote]As if this movie hasn’t been discussed like 15 times already this year, you needed to make another thread?

R3 Is there a finite number of threads on DL? Like, if someone makes a thread and there already was a thread on that subject, or five, does this mess with the space-time continuum? I don't get why it bothers you (or anyone).

by Anonymousreply 129November 28, 2022 12:53 AM

R121 and R122 are both correct

by Anonymousreply 130November 28, 2022 12:59 AM

Tatum's nipples

by Anonymousreply 131December 7, 2022 12:59 AM

R116 SMG claims that due to Buffy (and All My Children) she was forced to turn down a ton of roles, but I don't believe her. I'm sure she was forced down a few, but according to SMG, she could've played every role written for a woman under-35 if not for her TV commitments.

Movies she claims that she was forced to turn down: Clueless, Romeo + Juliet, Gangs of New York, Fight Club, and X-Men.

by Anonymousreply 132December 7, 2022 3:27 PM

R132 she is a good actress

by Anonymousreply 133December 8, 2022 1:51 AM

SMG is not a great actress. She’s mousy looking and her voice has no depth.

by Anonymousreply 134December 8, 2022 5:09 AM

SMG has 1/4 of EGOT, if you count a Daytime Emmy (which Whoopi apparently does).

by Anonymousreply 135December 8, 2022 5:26 AM

[quote]Pay me more because I get so many other offers like um....like um.....—Neve

Na, Neve had residual money before she did those movies. Party of 5? Anyone?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136December 8, 2022 5:55 AM

The best post-modern slasher film series since the Freddy and Jason movies of the 80's. The reboot worked well. Looking forward to the NYC one.

by Anonymousreply 137December 8, 2022 6:31 AM

[Quote] SMG is not a great actress. She’s mousy looking and her voice has no depth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138December 8, 2022 6:34 AM

SMG is in the sequel, not the original. This thread is about the original.

by Anonymousreply 139December 8, 2022 2:57 PM

[quote]Neve, Skeet, Rose, Jamie, Matthew etc were the last of the new teen rising stars right before everyone really had the internet and cell phones. It introduced a generation to what “meta” was.

How did it do that?

And some of them didn't rise very far.

by Anonymousreply 140December 8, 2022 4:59 PM

[Quote] And some of them didn't rise very far.

I'd say they did ok. Rose was in a few cult classics, like Jawbreaker and she made a pretty penny from Charmed. And Matthew was everywhere in the 90s/00s, half of them being comedies with FPJ. I still find Jamie dating JLH so fucking random.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141December 8, 2022 11:51 PM

I was thinking about a doggy door scene in Scream, and her parents could really sue the fuck out of the garage door maker for making such an unsafe garage door maker that it got her daughter killed.

by Anonymousreply 142December 8, 2022 11:56 PM

RM actually was doing mostly okay career wise until she quit acting and became an activist. I think she would have easily found work in a streaming service show.

by Anonymousreply 143December 9, 2022 10:22 AM

I rewatched last night on HBO Max. Wow. It still holds up after all these years.

It was the biggest film for teens in 1996.

The casting is superb- Drew Barrymore was the biggest name in Hollywood at the time, Courtney Cox was on Friends, the kids were all up and comers, and the only adult was The Foz himself Henry Winkler.

I remember how crazy each death was- Barrymore's, Winkler's, Rose McGowan's in the garage, etc. Utterly mind blowing for the late 1990's

Plus the score was the most popular songs of the decade.

Honestly a movie of it's time, but a film for the ages.

by Anonymousreply 144October 18, 2023 1:44 PM

R144 you lost me at “Drew Barrymore was the biggest name in Hollywood at the time”…

by Anonymousreply 145October 18, 2023 4:53 PM

I’m Matthew Lillard’s 9 inch cock.

by Anonymousreply 146October 18, 2023 4:53 PM

R145 How?

by Anonymousreply 147October 18, 2023 5:34 PM

R147 if you don’t understand I can’t do much for you

by Anonymousreply 148October 19, 2023 2:19 AM

[Quote]Drew Barrymore was dressed like a mom in this movie

No, Never had the momsiest wardrobe in the film. She was dressed like a mug cradling frau.

by Anonymousreply 149October 19, 2023 3:01 AM

Neve. Aka Sidney. Fucking spell check.

by Anonymousreply 150October 19, 2023 3:02 AM

The parody was better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151October 19, 2023 4:41 AM

I thought Skeet was dreamy.

by Anonymousreply 152October 19, 2023 7:19 AM

Henry Winkler was doing it for me.

by Anonymousreply 153October 20, 2023 1:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!